Production status report
By Winter Is Coming on in Speculation.

It has been just over two months since the pilot was officially greenlit by HBO and almost two years since the rights to A Song of Ice and Fire were first purchased. I figure this would be a good time to review the status of the production and go over what we know so far and what we can expect to learn in the near future.

So far, in the past two months, the updates and news regarding the pilot have been very few. All we know at this point is that Benioff and Weiss have a script in place and, I would assume, they are in the process of assembling a crew of producers and directors.

Still no word on whether they have hired a casting director yet. Last we heard from them on that was Dec. 3 and they stated they should have a casting director in place within a month, so I expect any day now we should get some info on that. Once the casting director is in place, casting will hopefully begin in earnest. It may be a while before we get any concrete casting info though. Using Boardwalk Empire as an example, the pilot was greenlit in July and only in the past few weeks have casting deals been announced.

Benioff and Weiss also mentioned that they should be able to give us a definite shooting location soon. Again the last we heard was that it would most likely be somewhere in the UK and that they should be able to get the official word on that “before the end of the year, or very early in 2009.”

As far as announcing a director for the pilot, no word from any one yet. I think they would want to get a director on board soon though, so that they would be able to attend the auditions. Again, using Boardwalk Empire as an example, Martin Scorsese was announced as the director of the pilot about a month after the pilot was greenlit.

It is still very early in the process. These things take time. I’m sure Benioff and Weiss have other things on their plate as well. Hopefully we will get some more updates soon. In the meantime, I will be here speculating and discussing the possibilities for this series!

1. Anonymous
    Posted January 13, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Man, between waiting to hear news of the pilot and waiting for the next book to come out im going to give my self cancer. I need to get a life!
    -J-

2. Anonymous
    Posted January 13, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

You and me both

3. Anonymous
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 1:14 am | Permalink

Never thought they’d shoot this in the UK, excellent! Will pop along if they do and get some “spy” shots LOL

4. Anonymous
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 8:31 am | Permalink

Remember, this is ASOIAF. We’ll likely not hear anything more about it for 2 years. :) And then we’ll get an update that it’ll be at least 2 more years before we see anything. :)

5. Anonymous
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 8:59 am | Permalink

I’ve never been to Europe but the lack of castles and mid-evil scenery in the US probably has something to do with selecting England as the production location.

6. dizzy
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Wouldn’t The North scenes need to be shot in a scandinavian country with snow everywhere?

7. Anonymous
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

I can see alot of this being shot in scotland, It is such a fantastic location for a series like this.

The Teddy

8. Anonymous
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Yeah Scotland and Ireland…

There are not so many castles in Scandinavia worth shooting in a film. Though there are many beautiful locations. But as no Scandinavians are involved in production I find it highly unlikely that any shooting will take place there…

Fake snow will work better any way me thinks….

9. Anonymous
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

What wrong with England and Wales?

10. Brian
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

My family has a rundown medieval castle on farmland in the south of Ireland. It would be a perfect place to shoot exteriors for Moat Cailin. About six stories high and full of history. Very cool.

11. Anonymous
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

I’d think the only place thats cold, flat and large enough for placing the wall would be in northern norway, or perhaps russia. There would be no need to shoot any scenes there, it’s all fixable with bluescreen.

-T

12. dizzy
    Posted January 16, 2009 at 9:17 am | Permalink

I’m sure the wall will be large set pieces with blue screen however the north of the wall wilderness might have to be shot in Norway like Empire Strikes Back was.

13. Anonymous
    Posted January 16, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

I think they should actually build a 700 foot tall wall of ice. Come on, it would be awesome.

14. Jon Snow
    Posted January 16, 2009 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

doesn’t matter where they shoot, but Scotland’s terrain would be ideal
    and yea, I’ll be first in line to help build a new wall

15. Lordnedshead
    Posted January 17, 2009 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Count me in. I just loaded my freezer with ice cube trays. What address should I mail ‘em to?

16. Kevin Lannister
    Posted January 19, 2009 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

I wonder if this has been asked or discussed before? But what is the possibility a (famous) stand out director directs the pilot while another director (less famous) does the show? Ive seen this done before with some shows which people believed in so they put there own touches just to ensure it got made. Offhand I can think of “Friday Night Lights” but there is many others.

17. WinterIsComing
    Posted January 20, 2009 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Kevin: I have thought the same thing. Alexander Payne directed the pilot of the recently-picked-up HBO series “Hung” and Martin Scorsese is lined up to direct the pilot for “Boardwalk Empire.” So it might be a good idea to follow suit and try to attract a big name director for the pilot episode.

18. Jon Snow
    Posted January 24, 2009 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

hahah Ned same here
    couple billion between us, and we’ll have our wall within a year