Adrian Paul expresses interest in Thrones
By Winter Is Coming on in Casting, Rumors.

Adrian Paul, best known for his role as Duncan MacLeod in Highlander: The Series, has mentioned his interest in being involved in the Game of Thrones pilot over at his official website.

Following on from the audio book of George RR Martin’s Dreamsongs, have you heard of or read his series of books, A Song of Fire and Ice. If yes, did you like it? And the real question, have you made any attempts to get into this project or, indeed, would you want to get into this project?

Yes, I know of A Song of Fire and, in fact, it is a project at HBO called “Game of Thrones” that is about to start casting. I think it is a really interesting project and I have read the first script. We are waiting to see where the casting process goes, since, yes, it would be fun to be a part of this.

Winter Is Coming:
Paul’s name has come up a few times in casting discussions. I’m unsure which role would suit him best, but he does have extensive experience as a TV actor and one that has starred in a number of sci-fi/fantasy type projects. I’m sure the producers could find a role for him if he has the interest.

1. Lordnedshead
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 11:01 am | Permalink

He looks Starky to me. ;P Plus the whole Highlander “there can be only one” head chopping off business would be kinda ironic.

2. dizzy
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 11:01 am | Permalink

He kind of looks like a Stark. He’s not Ned for me though, maybe Benjen?

3. T.D. Newton
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Total Stark. Dooooo iiiiiit, Aaaadriaaaaan!!

4. SHERYL
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Do you think he could play Eddard or Robert or Stannis??

sheryl318@aol.com

5. Anonymous
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 11:20 am | Permalink

A Stark was on my mind as well. And rather Benjen than Ned :)

I think Paul would pass as a Dornishman (but that part of Westeros isn’t exactly so well on display in AGoT). Hmmm… he could also be a Greyjoy, but that has similar problems of nonexistency at this stage

6. Anonymous
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Benjen would be a waste, he should be Eddard.

7. Anonymous
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 11:43 am | Permalink

He will be an inspired choice for a Stannis, but he doesn’t appear in the first book, which probably rules him out for the first season as well. So probably someone else…

8. world-dancer
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Stannis is an interesting choice. It would be a bit more a test of his acting than most of the things I’ve seen him in.

I think I’d go for someone on the wall. Benjen, Mormont, etc.

9. spikebrennan
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Adrian Paul actually has bona fide sword skills, so casting him in a role like Benjen or Stannis which (as far as I can tell) don’t have any on-screen swordfighting would be kind of a shame or a waste.
    How about Jorah Mormont, or Beric Dondarrion?

10. Anonymous
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Too old for Beric and too pretty for Jorah. Benjen is a waste, they should get some complete unknown for him.
    If he must fight, then… I dunno… Ned? He has a fight with Jaime and his goons and a dream about the war. Plus the irony of the beheading at the end will be too sweet.

11. Anonymous
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Give him a beard, whack some chub on him, grey his hair a tad and *BANG* Robert Baratheon.

12. Anonymous
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

If you put him in a fatsuit and stuff, yeah, he may pass for Robert. But that won’t be my choice for him. I still say Stannis, despite that he doesn’t fight and doesn’t appear in the first book ;P

13. Anonymous
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

the BLACKFISH!

14. Ausir
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

I hope he won’t be Ned. He doesn’t look anything like the Ned I imagined, but I’m afraid he’ll be aiming for the “main part”.

15. Anonymous
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Remember, they’re going to be casting for the PILOT, which leads me to believe he’s a contender for Ned, Benjen or Robert. I doubt it’s Robert. Unless they beef up Benjens role, he utters a couple lines. I am guessing he’s a contender for Ned.

16. Anonymous
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

It would make sense to put a fat suit on Robert though… that way they could do a flashback…

17. dizzy
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Maybe Jory Cassel, I could see him as Jaqen H’ghar although that not till a second season.

18. Ausir
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

How about Khal Drogo? I’d prefer an Asian actor, but who knows…

19. nicoleg666
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Hmm… I agree that he will probably be aiming for Ned, but I don’t like him for that role. If I HAD to pick him for a role in the pilot it would be Robert–the fat suit/flashback idea isn’t a bad one–although maybe a bit far fetched.

20. Faredawg
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Adrian will be an amazing choice for this series. He will do the character proud. This is who I always pictured in my head as ned, bearded with long hair and all. He’s go the chops, and the skills to be a warrior charcter. Also, who knows how they will show us the “flash backs” to the past. They could well have Stannis in the first book, for a referrance of sorts, and then bring him in full swing when he is supposed to. Who knows how the book will be interpreted?

21. Ausir
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Even if they have Stannis flashbacks, there won’t be any in the pilot (and there aren’t any in the pilot script), and the casting for now is for the pilot only.

22. Anonymous
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Adrien shows a kind of casual interest here. I am sure he would leap at the chance. I am sure he would do a good job. But theres no indication he is a favorite for anything, just that his agent is trying to get him a kickass job.

This all makes me wonder who else the pilot script has been shopped around to.

23. Aaron
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed Highlander but was not thrilled by Paul’s acting range. I definitely can’t see him playing Ned or Robert or Stannis. Benjen, yes. Brynden is an interesting suggestion, and… Syrio [bald or otherwise]?

24. Anonymous
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

There’s always characters like Pycell, Varys or the Hound where beard/make-up make it less important matching natural looks to the description in the book, but they are central roles nonetheless.

25. stratomunchkin
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

From his looks he would suit a character in the Free Cities or Dorne.

26. Anonymous
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

a suggestion: Khal Drogo?

27. coltaine777
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

I pray to God that they don’t give Adrian a major role…highlander was ok but I hope they are going after better calibre acting talent than Mr.Paul…. If not this show will be in major trouble. I have no problem casting talented unknown’ but we already know about Mr.Paul…. He’s limited at best …just my opinion.

28. coltaine777
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

@Anon…..Khal Drogo …I could live with that

29. Anonymous
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

The Red Viper!

30. Anonymous
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Way way too old to be Khal Drogo. Paul is fit to play a seasoned warrior but not a young one in his prime as I believe Drogo was supposed to be.

I think he’d be a perfect Ned and disagree with those who think he has a limited acting range. Plus, as we all know, it would only be for one season.

31. Anonymous
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

I see Stannis Baratheon or the Red Viper.

32. stratomunchkin
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Bronn?

33. Anonymous
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I can’t really see him doing a wall-hanger role like Benjen, not after starring in Highlander for all those years. I’d have to say major character, probably Ned.

*Shrugs* He wouldn’t be my first choice, but I can see him as Ned. I’m just eager to see it, I don’t have to have the absolute perfect, undoubted “this is so-and-so” actor in the role.

34. Bubba
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

I can actually see him as Drogo. Give him a tan, goate, braided hair, and it could work…. Drogo would be a sweet part to play, and he is in the pilot.

“Way way too old to be Khal Drogo. “

A little old yes, but we all need to learn to screw ages. Why nother sticking to them if they’re never mentioned?

35. Anonymous
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Not feeling it honestly. I think that all the normal “sci-fi, fantasy” celebs should get a pass right off the bat unless they really, really bring something special to the project. My biggest fear is that we get a cast of “sci-fi channel” people who are doing a caricature of the “fantasy” knight or revamping an old character they have done already. I believe that GRRM’s work deserves more. Someone that isn’t already used to playing these types of roles might bring something real to the part. I think some really interesting casting choices of complete unknowns would do more for me with maybe a vet or two sprinkled in then a re-hashing of Highlander the TV series or some other such thing.

36. coltaine777
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

37. Bubba
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

“@Anon….I couldn’t agree more …this project needs to be treated with respect. Unlike some I just don’t ‘want to see it’, I want it done right or not at all… We should be aiming for Steak here not a Mc.donalds hamburger LOL …Mr.Martin’ work deserves the best…”

Adrian Paul is the right kind of actor for the show. The chances of some A list movie star is slim.

38. Anonymous
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

39. coltaine777
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

@Bubba…we’ll agree to disagree…one thing the world doesn’t lack are actors…There are much better options out there, doesn’t have to be A-list…Adrian is about ‘W-list’ when it comes to acting ability…Ned deserves better

40. Spadey
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

Like the guy or not, the positive thing here is that he got the script, and apparently he is trying to (or is at least interested) in being in the pilot. That, above all else, means the production is moving and that’s great news. Also it means the series is interesting enough for a well known actor, and that is good news too.

Don’t forget everyone that posts here has read the books and knows how good they are, but this (the series) is something else. The fact a well known actor (as good or bad as he might be) actually finds it interesting (at this early stage)is what we should be taking out of this in my opinion. The rest is just speculation.

41. Renate Uhl
    Posted March 18, 2009 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

that’s awesome and I wish him all the best.

Renate Uhl Grand Junction Co.

42. Anonymous
    Posted March 19, 2009 at 5:59 am | Permalink

I totally agree with stratomunchkin. He would make a great Bronn. He would be a significant character and would absolutely tower over whoever plays Tyrion. He also wouldn’t have to carry any scenes either because again I think whoever plays Tyrion will steal the scene anyways.

43. Ausir
    Posted March 19, 2009 at 6:04 am | Permalink

Bronn does not appear in the pilot, and the casting is for the pilot only for now.

44. Anonymous
    Posted March 19, 2009 at 6:05 am | Permalink

Yeah, now that I’ve came to think of it, I’m totally for Bronn! Paul would be a splendid choice for that role, he even looks bronnish

45. Bradley
    Posted March 19, 2009 at 8:33 am | Permalink

He’s a big guy. How about the Mountain that rides, Ser Gregor Clegane, or his brother the Hound.

46. Don
    Posted March 19, 2009 at 8:53 am | Permalink

I could very much see him as The Hound. He’d have that just malicious side and viciousness that you’ve seen a few times in his work. I think it would be a good fit for him.

47. JulieWash
    Posted March 19, 2009 at 9:01 am | Permalink

If that’s a recent photo, the guy still has the goods to make women swoon. I wonder if he’d be willing to lighten his hair to be cast as a Lannister? He gives off an intense, slightly menacing air that makes him wrong for a Stark despite his dark looks. I’d rather see him in a major role, as opposed to some of the smaller roles suggested in these posts, because he is a name actor and he will attract eyeballs.

48. wabawanga
    Posted March 19, 2009 at 9:33 am | Permalink

I think Bronn is perfect. IIRC he has some of the most actual fighting scenes of any character, and he’s a man of few words. Can Adrian do sardonic?

49. Adam Whitehead
    Posted March 19, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

He’d make a good Bronn and maybe a passable Sandor, although I think Ray Stevenson is still the obvious choice for that role. He may make a passable Jaime, although I think the actor for that role needs a broader range. Paul is one of those actors who is very good at a certain role but isn’t too hot at others (the same thing comes to mind for Richard Dean Anderson or Kevin Sorbo), although he did need to take on different guises and play in different periods as Duncan. I don’t think he’d be the best choice as Ned, but could probably pull it off. He had to do ‘haunted but honourable’ a few times on HIGHLANDER.

50. sheryl
    Posted March 19, 2009 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

“The other benefit that needs to be considered is that Paul is a name. Certainly not an A-lister, but someone with some recognition, especially in the genre. Those who were fans of Highlander and who know/like Paul are one of the important fanbases (fans of fantasy who aren’t familiar with the books) to Thrones’ success.”

I have been part of the Highlander fan base since 1999; I can say this statement
    is very true!!

51. Anonymous
    Posted March 19, 2009 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

I think this is good news. I really liked Paul in Highlander. I think they should audition him for a few roles, and see which is the best “fit”.

Personally, I can see him as a pretty good Ned (although not my first choice), but in terms of looks, he looks exactly like I’d picture a young Robert Baratheon. Look at that hair! I guess they could add some pounds to him?

52. Anonymous
    Posted March 19, 2009 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

I think Bronn would be an awesome choice, given the heavy combat role of that character. Not only that, but while Bronn isn’t one of the majour characters, he does play a fairly large role in whatever scenes he is present for, which might make it a good role for a name actor

53. Anonymous
    Posted March 19, 2009 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Paul’s participation, in my opinion, would make it that much more likely for Game of Thrones to break Highlander the Series rather than Highlander 2. And isn’t that what we all want?

54. Kent
    Posted March 19, 2009 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Whatever he is aiming for, i just hope he realizes that this isn’t just another role in atnother series that he just has to be this serious guy that does some things of importance and thats the end…. This is a fuckin epic! that demands a lot of class, emotion and Character!!!!!!!!!!! from an actor. This is A song of ice and fire! And its damn special!!

55. Brian
    Posted March 19, 2009 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Regardless of how nice a guy he is, he is associated with some real cheesy tv fare. The pilot and beyond has to make an impact. Next thing you know, we will see Lucy Lawless popping up on the Iron Islands. Benioff and Koepp should run away from this notion as fast as they can.

56. Anonymous
    Posted March 19, 2009 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

I’d put him down for either Bronn, or perhaps Davos Seaworth if it comes to a second season when they could do Clash of Kings.

57. Lordnedshead
    Posted March 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

I looked at him and thought Cohollo all the way. yep he’s the pure spittin image of Cohollo. It is known!!!

58. Evil Peter
    Posted March 20, 2009 at 6:56 am | Permalink

I don’t see him as any important character in the pilot. I think he would be best used as portraying characters like Bronn or Davos later in the series.

59. Anonymous
    Posted March 20, 2009 at 7:12 am | Permalink

60. Anonymous
    Posted March 20, 2009 at 9:50 am | Permalink

“Man, those bashing Adrian Paul while invoking Hercules are mixing up apples and oranges. Highlander the Series was everything that was good about independent production where Hercules and Xena were everything cheese. Even if Adrian range doesn’t cover anything other than we saw in Highlander, we still have a perfectly acceptable Ned.”

In a word no. I watched some of that series and it is a lot of not good. Guy looks the part but my god he just seems so uncomfortable and wooden. I get that he can swing a sword and all that but I would take someone who brings a realness to the character and teach him sword play over a physical actor ANY day. Say it with me, “Just because you look the part doesn’t mean you can play the part.”

As to his fan base… yeah the dudes not bringing 1 million viewers to the project so we can just let that go.

In the end it doesn’t hurt to bring him in and see what he’s got but honestly I would be VERY skeptical if they cast him.

61. T. W. Anderson
    Posted March 21, 2009 at 4:11 am | Permalink

I guess I *could* see him as Ned. But he would definitely need to grow out the beard and add some gray. But he’s not my first choice.

Personally I don’t think it really matters who they cast in the parts. “Rome” went with (relatively) unknown actors and pulled off an amazingly successful show. Personally I’d like to see them stick to people who fit the roles rather than “faces” that are going to bring in additional viewers.

I’m sure that Paul is versatile actor who could pull off anything given enough direction and guidance from the director. However, his “Highlander” acting style wouldn’t work here…far too “cheesy”, in the same sense that Kevin Sorbo and Lucy Lawless were “cheesy” in their roles. But given their cheese, I was also a fan off all three of those shows (Hercules, Xena, Highlander), and watched them throughout their season runs. I just don’t think that type of acting is going to fly here.

If HBO wants Thrones to be successful it has to be in the same vein as Rome…brooding, dark, and epic. Fancy footwork and flashy swordplay aren’t going to be enough to cut it. Acting chops are necessary, and the ability to bring the characters to life.

62. Anonymous
    Posted March 21, 2009 at 8:21 am | Permalink

To those posters here who are dismissing Adrian Paul as a good actor: Have you seen him in Nemesis Game? Adrian was awesome as Duncan MacLeod in Highlander , but he has proven since then that he is capable of playing alot of different types of characters who are very different from the noble hero type that was Duncan MacLeod. He is a talented actor and if given a chance, he would prove it in Game of Thrones. My only concern is the genre as he has tried to distance himself from Scifi and fantasy but this would be a great career move for him because of the wide audience it would reach.

63. Adam Whitehead
    Posted March 21, 2009 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Someone invoked XENA above and it’s worth noting that from that show alone, again you wouldn’t necessarily say she was a fantastic actress, but then Lucy Lawless really knocked it out of the park as Number Three on BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.

64. Anonymous
    Posted March 21, 2009 at 10:28 am | Permalink

I find that the people who dismiss Adrian as a good actor haven’t even seen Highlander much less any of his other movies. Go watch Séance for instance and see if you even recognize that Spencer is Adrian.

65. zaccur
    Posted March 21, 2009 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

if you want to see how Adrian does portraying A GRRM character listen to him in the audio version of DREAM SONGS he did a very good job with SHELL GAMES and UNSOUND VARIATIONS wasn’t bad

66. slyhell
    Posted March 22, 2009 at 10:45 am | Permalink

I say make him slightly heftier, shave his head and make him Jorah Mormont. He would have a relatively large, but not quite starring role as Dani’s Westerosi knight. That is a role that shows up in the pilot, as well.

67. Anonymous
    Posted March 24, 2009 at 9:50 am | Permalink

I say Mr. Paul might make a good Bronn.

68. Zakaraeus
    Posted March 24, 2009 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Maybe I’m crazy but I could see him as The Hound. I doubt he would go with many of the other roles, except maybe Jorah, since he’d probably want a larger role and I just don’t seem him as the best choice for Ned.

I also think the Hound would be the best use for him as an actor because having half his face scared would obscure his character a bit and distance him from his highlander looks, while also allowing for his name and fan base to give the series a bit of an immediate boost in initial viewers.

69. Phenompbg
    Posted March 25, 2009 at 4:56 am | Permalink

He has almost the right look for Ned or Benjen… But no.

Sandor Clegane maybe?

70. Anonymous
    Posted March 26, 2009 at 11:27 am | Permalink

It sucks that Oberyn Martell isn’t a possibility…..or Bronn.He’d be perfect for either.

71. Anonymous
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 6:05 am | Permalink

I’m appalled that anyone would place Highlander in the same staple of cheesiness as Xena/Hercules. Totally different styles of show.. Highlander certainly wasn’t a superb show, but it is very good in its own right. I think Adrian would do very well as Ned.

72. Anonymous
    Posted March 29, 2009 at 2:14 am | Permalink

I think he is too muscular for Ned and a waste for Benjen. How about Sandor?

73. Anonymous
    Posted May 15, 2009 at 11:06 am | Permalink

What a sleazebag. I know so many people who will be disgusted by this.

74. ceranko
    Posted August 23, 2009 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

He would be perfect as Bronn or Benjen, But I'd like to see him as Bronn.