Other HBO shows and casting
By Winter Is Coming on in Casting, Speculation.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I suppose that means I should be pretty flattered to discover this blog following the production of Boardwalk Empire. Does it look at all familiar? To be clear, I have no problems with the folks over there copying my style, it must mean I am doing something right. It also looks to be a good place to keep up-to-date on the production, especially since it is authored by the publisher of the book the series is based on. Despite Empire being considered competition for Game of Thrones, I will be following the production closely in the hopes that both series’ get pick ups. Giving me two great shows to watch on HBO in (hopefully) 2010!

Also, while we are here, let’s take a look at the casting process of Boardwalk Empire and see if we can’t project when we would start getting Thrones casting news. It looks like the casting news for Empire began around Dec 2008 and continued until Feb 2009. According to a link in one of the comments on that blog, the pilot for Empire is scheduled to shoot in early June. Almost exactly 6 months after the first casting announcements. Guess how far away October is? Yup, 6 months. I suspect that Thrones’ first casting confirmations should be coming very soon. Hopefully.

1. Aoede
    Posted April 15, 2009 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Fingers crossed like Celtic knots!

2. Anonymous
    Posted April 15, 2009 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Imitation? Dude it’s not like you aren’t both just using a blogger template. Here, I’ll show you from your source:

Blogger Template Style
    Name: Minima Black
    Designer: Douglas Bowman
    URL: http://www.stopdesign.com
    Date: 26 Feb 2004
    Updated by: Blogger Team

3. WinterIsComing
    Posted April 15, 2009 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Anon: I know that they are using the same template as I am. If it was just that, I wouldn’t have been touting it as an imitation. What caught my eye though was this blurb in the sidebar:

“Your source for news, rumors, and discussion of HBO’s planned Boardwalk Empire television series, and the book it’s based on, “Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City,” written by Nelson Johnson.”

That, coupled with the fact they are using the same template and blogging on an HBO production, made me bring out the “imitation” label. I think it is pretty obvious they saw my site, realized the same could be done for Empire (which would help them advertise their book too) and just did a quick copy-and-paste job. I don’t care. I just thought it was funny is all. Plus it gave me a reason to speculate about possible casting news.

4. dizzy
    Posted April 15, 2009 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

This may be something, may be nothing. But I’m listening to Dallas sports talk radio and they had Adam Scott on (Derek from Step Brothers). He gives them the update on some of the shows and things that he’s doing now and says that he was just cast in a HBO pilot. When asked what the show was he was reluctant to talk about it. I thought it was interesting.

5. WinterIsComing
    Posted April 15, 2009 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

dizzy: Thanks for the info. It looks like he was cast in the pilot for ‘The Wonderful Maladys’, a comedy series starring Sarah Michelle Gellar.

6. dizzy
    Posted April 15, 2009 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Ah! Thanks for the research. He’s greatness in Step Brothers. Oh well, he’s a little old but I could totally see him as Theon. Total doucher.

7. Anonymous
    Posted April 15, 2009 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

I feel bad for the Empire blog… so few comments.

8. Jesse
    Posted April 15, 2009 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Also, underneath the title it says “YOUR SOURCE FOR NEWS AND RUMORS ABOUT HBO’S BOARDWALK EMPIRE”.

Winter just doesn’t use capslock.

9. loco73
    Posted April 15, 2009 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Total douchebags…f**k’em! I am interested in this blog and ASOIF, the rest of the shows that HBO has running now, suck donkey balls! I’m keeping my fingers crossed for this project. With all due respect I don’t give a s*it on the rest.

Sorry for this infantile posting, but I am really dying to see a complex, ambitious, epic TV project. All the (few) good series are quickly vanishing from TV…

10. WinterIsComing
    Posted April 15, 2009 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

dizzy: Yeah, when I first saw your comment I was trying to think of who they would cast him as in Thrones and I couldn’t come up with anyone. Theon would have been a good choice though.

loco73: Well, to be fair, Boardwalk Empire would qualify as a “complex, ambitious, epic TV project.” I mean, Martin Scorsese is directing the pilot. Doesn’t get much more ambitious than that. That’s why I am rooting for both to get picked up. If it has to be just one though, obviously I’d want Thrones.

Oh, and you may want to lay off the caffeine. ;)

11. loco73
    Posted April 15, 2009 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

WinterIsComing: LOL…Fair enough! I don’t want Martin Scorsese to fail or the show to be dropped (“Boardwalk Empire”)…but my interest is with “A Song Of Ice And Fire”. I am tired of procedural shows, family dramas etc. I want to see a fantasy series, an epic fantasy series and this would be it. The fact that HBO/BBC are behind it makes it even more enticing, since no other tv networks, save perhaps Showtime, could put the creative muscle and necessary resources to do it justice.

Yes, I will take your advice and lay off the caffeine. Thanks for your work on this blog!

12. Brude
    Posted April 16, 2009 at 5:00 am | Permalink

I was gonna guess Boardwalk Empire for Adam Scott since he was in Scorsese’s “The Avatior,” but I guess it’s the SMG show instead.

13. Brude
    Posted April 16, 2009 at 5:03 am | Permalink

I do like that little poll thing they had on the side of the other blog about favorite HBO show (mine’s “The Wire,” which is my favorite show of all time). Regular polls might be a nice way to keep up some interest in the blog, though it seems to be doing pretty well so far. Polls about actor choices, location choices, whatever. Just a thought.

14. Anonymous
    Posted April 16, 2009 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Someone already posted this yesterday…the big difference between these two blogs is the comments. Boardwalk has hardly any while your posts get 20-30 comments each. People will watch Boardwalk because of the theme and the past popularity of Sopranoes (genre). But you can tell how much we want to see a great fantasy series produced and the constant interest level on any details provided. Thanks for all the updates.

15. Anonymous
    Posted April 16, 2009 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

Speaking of The Wire, a lot of actors from the show have appeared recently in TV and movies – Stringer in The Office, Carcetti in 12 Rounds, etc. etc. But has anyone seen McNulty (Dominic West) lately? I think he’d be perfect for ASOIAF. Just a brilliant actor. Not sure who he’d play though. Eddard? Maybe The Hound?

16. Anonymous
    Posted April 16, 2009 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

I like Dominic West for Mance Rayder or better yet, Vargo Hoat.

17. Adam Whitehead
    Posted April 17, 2009 at 10:59 am | Permalink

West recently played Oliver Cromwell in the C4 mini-series THE DEVIL’S WHORE. I know he’s keen on staying closer to home and family after spending a lot of the last six years in Baltimore, but Ireland would probably be okay.

18. Anonymous
    Posted April 18, 2009 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

I’d love to see them put Dominic West in a fat suit and have him play Robert Baratheon. We already know from the wire that he’s good at playing “blind drunk”.

19. Hodor
    Posted April 18, 2009 at 11:28 pm | Permalink
  20. Anonymous
    Posted April 19, 2009 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Ah, cant wait much longer for the pilot.

21. WinterIsComing
    Posted April 20, 2009 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Brude: Yeah, I would like to have a constant poll on the sidebar. The only thing is the poll format for Blogger is horrible. Like instead of the heading of the sidebar widget saying “Poll” and then the question and answers being contained within, the header is the question and is in the same font as the headers for all the other sections such as “About This Site”, “Labels”, “Recent Comments”, etc. Call me anal, but I just can’t stand the way it looks. So until I can find a way around that, I will have to keep the polls contained within some of my posts.

22. Tom Hogan
    Posted April 23, 2009 at 9:18 am | Permalink

As you said, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and I hope you were flattered, not upset, about our blog. I am the creator of the Boardwalk Empire blog at http://boardwalkempire.blogspot.com, and I will freely admit that I saw your blog, liked it, and imitated it in a lot of ways, when creating mine.

In fact, it was coming across a blog post of yours that included a mention of Boardwalk Empire, back in December, that got me thinking we should do a blog about the progress of the potential HBO series based on the book we published.

As I said, I hope you are flattered, and not upset. I don’t think what I did violated any copyright or ethical standards. If there is anything you object to, please let me know, and I can change it.

Here’s hoping for the success of both of these HBO projects. Good luck!

23. Anonymous
    Posted May 6, 2009 at 7:21 am | Permalink

UPDATE! HBO has definitely picked up at least 9 episodes of Treme, the New Orleans based drama (as of May 6).