Martin’s trip to Ireland
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming.

George R. R. Martin posted on his Not A Blog his tentative plans to visit the set of the Game of Thrones pilot. While on that side of the pond, he will be doing two book signings, one in Belfast, another in Dublin. Martin mentions there is a possibility that Benioff, Weiss and maybe a cast member or two may show up at the signing in Belfast.

Arrangements are still being worked out, but I have some tentative dates and times for my appearances in Ireland in November.

On Tuesday, November 3, I will be speaking and signing at Eason’s Bookstore in Belfast. The event begins at 1:00 pm. Or 1300 for you European types.

On Thursday, November 5, I will be at Eason’s on O’Connell Street in Dublin. This event begins at 5:00 pm, or 1700.

More details when I have ‘em.

There’s a chance that David and/or Dan will drop by for the Belfast signing, and possibly some of the cast as well, but that’s not certain. May depend on how the shoot is going, what’s scheduled for that day, what’s happening down at the Paint Hall, etc. If I get any news on that front, I’ll be sure to pass it on.

These will be the first booksignings I’ve ever done in Ireland, so I don’t know what sort of crowd to expect… but I’m looking forward to meeting some of my Irish readers. Pass the word.

Winter Is Coming: Excited to hear about George’s visit to Ireland. Looking forward to getting some reports on the signing in Belfast from our Belfast area readers. Hopefully the producers and cast will show up! Would love to hear directly from them on how the pilot shoot is going. Although I’m sure George will be willing to share some of his thoughts as well, if none of them can make it.

1. Daniel
    Posted September 23, 2009 at 4:41 am | Permalink

FIRST!

at last

2. Silverstar
    Posted September 23, 2009 at 4:50 am | Permalink

WiC, if GRRM does confirm that some of the cast, or D&D will be there, would it be worth you seeing if you could set up an interview or two? Don't know that you yourself would be able to do it, but there's bound to be people here who would be attending, and could ask the questions on your behalf.

3. Alessandro
    Posted September 23, 2009 at 4:52 am | Permalink
  4. Mozart
    Posted September 23, 2009 at 4:56 am | Permalink

If any1 has a question I'll gladly pass it on.

5. WinterIsComing
    Posted September 23, 2009 at 5:08 am | Permalink

Silverstar: I'll definitely have to try and set something up.

Mozart: I may just take you up on that offer.

Alessandro: Looks like it, he says he got official word from HBO. So unless the guy is lying (and I don't see why he would), seems this is an official confirmation.

6. rimshot44
    Posted September 23, 2009 at 5:32 am | Permalink

I'm definitely going to go to this. I haven't actually started reading the books yet so it will be very cool to have my first GRRM books signed by the man himself!

The Easons in question is on Roval Avenue in Belfast by the way. Last signing I attended in there was Michael Palin!

7. WinterIsComing
    Posted September 23, 2009 at 5:39 am | Permalink

rimshot: You haven't started the books yet? What are ya waiting for man! ;) Seriously though, they are great.

Also, was wondering if you had seen the same sets that Chris Martin had seen? I know you are under some NDA for Your Highness and if you don't want to share anything specific I understand. I'm just curious about the Thrones sets specifically, was hoping sharing about them would not get you in trouble. Any info you could give (how many GoT sets there are, interior or exterior, size, looks, etc.) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

8. Silverstar
    Posted September 23, 2009 at 5:40 am | Permalink

I'm definitely considering going to the Belfast signing. I looked into flights, and I should be able to get there and back for less than £30 if I travel early morning/late evening.

9. Mozart
    Posted September 23, 2009 at 5:42 am | Permalink

No worries WiC. I've got my notepad and my pensil firmly tucked over my ear awaiting instruction.

10. rimshot44
    Posted September 23, 2009 at 5:52 am | Permalink

@ WIC 6:39am

I've put a wee note about it on the blog entry. Lets just say I'm not so sure.

11. Marko
    Posted September 23, 2009 at 6:03 am | Permalink

It's looks like we're going to have an army of informants there, heheh :) cool beans.

12. Paul Gude
    Posted September 23, 2009 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Completely impossible for me. I'll have to live vicariously through those of you who live in the area.

My only hope is that with Seattle being a big enough city, maybe GRRM will come through when ADwD comes out.

13. sven20
    Posted September 23, 2009 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

People need to boycott shit like this until he gets his fatass in gear and finishes the next book. Though I'm not sure why anyone would want to meet him in the first place.

14. Silverstar
    Posted September 23, 2009 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

If there's any folks from Belfast who are interested in some kind of get-together after the signing, Parris (GRRM's girlfriend) has asked for Belfast-area folks who might be able to suggest a pub or restaurant near the bookshop which can reserve a room to make some suggestions. Her post is here.

15. legion_quest666
    Posted September 23, 2009 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

I am becoming more and more convinved that flying out to Belfast wouldnt be a bad idea.

I have an airport in my home town, does Belfast have an airport?

I wonder if I was nice enough he could get me a job on the production. I make a great cup of tea……

16. Silverstar
    Posted September 25, 2009 at 4:54 am | Permalink

If anyone is planning to go to Belfast for the signing, and would be interested in a meet up afterwards, could you go here and register your interest?

Parris is looking for numbers.

• WiC Live