Filming at Doune Castle
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming, Speculation.

It looks like Doune Castle will be the location where the first scenes of Game of Thrones will be put to film. According to this report from the BBC, they will be shooting there over the weekend. The report mentions that they will be filming in the courtyard.

This matches the reports coming from Louie Pastore and the other members of the Clanranald Trust of Scotland who have stated they will be joining the filming on Monday. Ran over at Westeros was able to confirm that they won’t be doing much fighting and will essentially be extras. Guards in the background of what I guess will be the royal parties arrival to Winterfell and/or the combat training scene.

It appears that the courtyard may not be the only part of Doune Castle they will be using though. According to the guy who posted the above pic, there were quite a few props being brought into the castle for the show. The list included stacks of furniture and faux dead deers and pigs. Ran speculates they may be using the Great Hall to film the feast at Winterfell.

UPDATE: Looks like GRRM has arrived in Scotland as well. My guess is he will be on set for the first day of filming.

UPDATE: First set photos have come in via Ran’s Twitter. You can’t see much, but at least it is proof they are actually doing this thing! Click to enlarge. Even bigger versions can be found here.

UPDATE: Bumping this post to the top since we keep getting more reports. First, a tweet from a Sean Bean fan who was at Doune Castle today, indicates that Bean won’t be on set until next week. Another set report comes from over at the Westeros forums. Here is what this poster has to say:

Popped in to Doune. Was rather cool – the Winterfell great hall looks awesome. Peter Dinklage was around, didn’t recognise anyone else, though apparently Ghost was there yesterday..

Filming is happening in the courtyard, the walls, a kitchen scene and the great hall.

UPDATE: Another report from another poster over at Westeros.

I went down to Doune as well – I can also confirm that filming was happening on the walls. The castle looked awesome – but anything filmed today is going to be wet… it rained all day today.

Filming is going on at Doune until the 30th. But that might include breaking down the sets.

UPDATE: The above Westeros poster, Loras, has uploaded two pics he was able to snap at Doune Castle today. The second one is a little hard to make out, it is a picture of the equipment in the courtyard glimpsed through a window in the outer wall. He has this to add:

I forgot about the box on the front of the castle (in my pic) – there is one on the other side of the castle too. I think that they are being used by camera men. The hall at Doune is big but not that big, by putting the camera nests exterior to the castle they can make the hall seem bigger and the crew can take up less room.

UPDATE: Ran has tweeted that he has heard through “a little bird” that Lena Headey was on set today with dyed blonde hair and looking “beautiful.”

UPDATE: Last update on this post. This report comes again from Westeros poster needle.

His (Dinklage’s) hair was blonde and longish, scruffy looking, very much as I imagine Tyrion. He wasn’t in make up or costume or anything – didn’t see anyone in costume really. He was hanging about outside the castle a fair bit.

Just to echo Loras, staff at the castle were lovely and friendly. It wasn’t shut off to tourists today which is how we got in (not anything to do with being a ‘long term aquaintance’ of GRRM, Ran!). Just luck we arrived when there wasn’t too much filming going on so we could wander around. Lots of film vans, and buzz about the place.

UPDATE: Ok last update, for real this time. A nice detailed report courtesy of Westeros forum poster, grantsensei.

Dinklage was in the courtyard when I arrived, at that point we were being asked not to loiter so I went upstairs, turned a corner… and found myself in the great hall in Winterfell!
It was all set up for the feast, with tapestries on the wall and enough seating for about 50. It looked really cool – though as has been mentioned before in this thread, a lot smaller than I’d imagined. Went back down (after phoning my mates from Winterfell!) just before they were rehearsing a scene with Ghost – a very cute(!) white wolf puppy. I, along with the rest of the public were ushered away while they did the rehearsal, so can’t tell you anything about that.
Rehearsal must have ended then, because Dinklage left the set, chatting to (I think) Ron Donnachie (Rodrick Cassel). I think the glum looking (it was really cold and wet this weekend!) youth following behind in a hoody was Kit Harrington (Jon Snow).

1. Brienne
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:37 am | Permalink

First?

2. WinterIsComing
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:53 am | Permalink

Oh, and you guys know what day it is right? Oct 24! Filming begins!

As I type this it is 6:52 AM in the UK (check out the handy clock I added on the right). Most film shoots start pretty early. There is a very good chance that Benioff, Weiss and McCarthy are on set RIGHT NOW.

3. lex
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:11 am | Permalink

This is awesome for two reasons:

1) I've BEEN there, when I visited Scotland!

2) It was used in Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

DOUNE!!!!!!!!

4. Kelsey Catherine
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:15 am | Permalink

oh Boy oh boy!
    Filming has surely started. I feel like i'm dreaming this up! Someone pinch me!

5. Paul Gude
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:31 am | Permalink

Very cool that this happens as I'm ready to sleep.

Who knows, by the time I wake up something may have leaked!

Okay, that sounded better in my head.

As you were, people.

6. Larry D
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:39 am | Permalink

Wow, I have been to the castle and have a lot of photos of my own. It is also clearly visible in "Monty Python & The Holy Grail". It is near Edinburgh.

7. Knurk
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:39 am | Permalink

Awesome. I'm awake now in the Netherlands (one hour ahead of the UK), had to have a way too early haircut on my free saturday. But at least I can say I was awake when they shot the first scene of GoT (probably…).

@Paul, nothing had leaked when I woke up, so far so good.

8. Larry D
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:40 am | Permalink

Wow, I just repeated Lex. Sorry Lex I was eager to post first, read second.

9. Kelsey Catherine
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:53 am | Permalink

*Yawn*
    I just didn't go to bed, Paul.
    Then again, you have wee offspring(I think?) that will surely wake you up in morning, whereas I only have the laundry and a thesis proposal, which can be a little more patient.

10. Marko
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 2:55 am | Permalink

We have lived to see the day! First of many such :) Sending good vibes to the shoot.

Unrelated, this blog seems to have a plethora of Dutch visitors, and at least one commenter :) I'm contributing to the percentage of Dutch IPs, as I'm currently in Utrecht. Who and where are the rest of you, guys?

11. The rabbit
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 3:11 am | Permalink

Good morning!

Today is the day!
    Sending good vibes from rainy Kranj to Scotland!

12. Mani
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 3:39 am | Permalink

It's so exciting to finally get the shoot going but is it just me or does the Great Hall look a little underwhelming?

Also, hello from a longtime lurker!

13. rashel
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 3:42 am | Permalink

Oh my gosh I am soooo excited!! Fingers crossed we get pics by the end of the weekend! Think it might be time to visit my dad – he lives near Edinburgh, and I've asked him to go and take photo's for me…doubt he will, but ah well at least I asked! :-D

14. Marko
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 3:46 am | Permalink

They will surely fit it with a) props, b) draperies (the Hands on Glasgow company does both), and c) green screen and subsequent CGI polish. Could it be that it's logistically simpler to shoot in a big room in Scotland where they shoot other scenes with pretty much the entire Westerosi cast, rather than in a big studio? Other than that, I don't see so many advantages, given that they will have to set up quite a set inside the Great Hall as well.

15. gorangligovic
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 4:12 am | Permalink

Finally, something tangible. We're off!

16. Peter
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 4:58 am | Permalink

I think the inner courtyard will do fine for the swordtraining scene. It is true that the castle looks to small for winterfell when seen from the outside. But if you only see the inside of the courtyard it will be fine.
    Found some good pictures of the castle here:

some of the inside scenes where believable stone castle rooms would be good, could also be shoot here. Certainly if they are bringing in furniture and other inside props. My guess is that there will be a seemless blending of castle shoots and studio shoots. If you only see a small part of the castle on the screen it can easily be made to look like it is a small part of a much bigger castle. Its movie magic. I think studio sets is the better option when you recreate something like a modern appartment. But building a big ass stone wall, should be a little more expensive. I think they will like to shoot as much as possible in a real castle. Both for cost, and authentic look.

17. Marko
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 5:06 am | Permalink

That's a great photo collection, really gives you the idea of the place from all the different perspectives. Thanks!

18. The rabbit
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 5:09 am | Permalink

We have to celebrate somehow on this Blog the beginning of the filming.
    I will make some pancakes this afternoon to celebrate with.

I would send them to each of you, only if I could. LOL

@Peter
    Thank you for the photos…the castle fits nice for inside-Winterfell.

19. Ender
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 5:14 am | Permalink

Woke up here in Spain and no leaks yet… Do we have any posters living on Edinburgh willing to infiltrate in with a camera?

20. Marko
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 5:43 am | Permalink

More words from Jason Momoa!

21. The rabbit
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 6:35 am | Permalink

And Ser Ran of Westeros.org reports about the fresh photos from or around Castel.
    But flickr is down for the moment.

22. hermionehphg
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 6:36 am | Permalink

oh my…filming atarted!!!

23. The rabbit
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 6:51 am | Permalink
  24. Knurk
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 6:52 am | Permalink

@Marko
    This weekend I'm near Eindhoven (home of the glorious footballclub PSV). But weekdays I'm studying in Utrecht, living in Zeist around the corner.

@The Rabbit
    Just finished baking an apple pie. My sister thinks I made it for her birthday, but we know better!

25. The rabbit
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 6:52 am | Permalink

Ha ha Knurk!

Cheers!

26. Marko
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 7:55 am | Permalink

Eet smakelijk! :D

27. grimherald
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 8:47 am | Permalink

I'm thinking of taking a trip to Doune Castle very soon, it's quite near my University :D

28. WinterIsComing
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Checking the weather it looks like it is windy and rainy today there at Doune Castle. Which means those pics probably aren't from today.

Hope they are able to film in the rain.

29. The rabbit
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 8:58 am | Permalink

It looked to me, that it were yesterdays pics.
    And it looks like it is pretty cold out there.
    Look at the clothes of the crew..caps, coats.

30. WinterIsComing
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Well now it is showing the weather as cloudy, but no rain. Checking the radar shows just patches of rain showers. So it is still possible then that that photo was from today, during a period of no rain.

Plus the 'Filming in Progress' sign makes it more likely that it was taken today.

31. seb332
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 11:08 am | Permalink

i bet George is competing with the Joker by now ;). This whole day must feal sureal for him (should be a good motivator for dance).

Someone should have bugged this place with some spy gear ;)

32. WinterIsComing
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Sounds like Sean Bean won't be on set until next week per this tweet. Seems to be confirmation that they will be shooting the scene with the boys sparring this weekend.

33. The rabbit
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

I am little bit lost about the Scotland thing.
    How long they will be shooting at the castle?

34. WinterIsComing
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

The rabbit: Looks like they will be using it much more than initially speculated. It seems it will definitely be used for any scenes taking place in the Winterfell courtyard and Great Hall.

Not sure what scene could be taking place in a kitchen though?

35. The rabbit
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

A post at Westeros.org

The guy claimes he saw Peter Dinklage around. Was Dinkalge in the scene with boys fighting in the yard?
    I can not remember.

36. The rabbit
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

@WIC
    Somehow I understood that shooting in Scotland would take place only that week-end, and apparently after seeing all that news it was like: How the Hell they could shoot all that stuff only in two days…

I am more exciting about all of this than ever.

37. WinterIsComing
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

The rabbit: Check the post, I've updated it with the info. :)

No, Tyrion isn't in that scene. But the courtyard is the location of the scene with him and Jon during the feast. With Ghost being present on set I bet they may be shooting that scene one of these nights.

38. Paul Gude
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Winter,

I have a general feeling that kitchens = Arya.

It seems like it's a place she ends up all the time.

39. WinterIsComing
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Paul: True. Another scene not in the book added to the pilot then?

40. Balerion
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

I should note that needle is a woman, and a long-time fan and acquaintance of GRRM through the Brotherhoods without Banners fan group. :)

41. The rabbit
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

If it was not trollish post at westeros…
    I hope it was not…

I had Arya in my head right away when I spotted word kitchen, and I completely forgot that actually there was no scene in the books with Arya in the kitchens..

42. WinterIsComing
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Updated post with more info:

So that answers the question of how long they will be there. Wonder what they would be filming ON the walls?

43. The rabbit
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

On the walls ?

Things I do for love?
    Just a scene with Jaime and Cersei from the outside? From Brans point of view?
    I am guessing now, of course.

44. Brienne
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

I love the clock, Winter. Really sets the scene. Will you add a 2nd when the Morocco portion starts? The day is drawing to a close over there(relative to me of course) so if there are Cast & Crew lurking about in this blog- Cheers! Thanks for working hard.

45. WinterIsComing
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

The poster is saying he saw a screen up on the walls. Maybe they have cameras up there to film down into the courtyard? Or maybe Jon and Arya will be up on the walls watching Bran and Tommen sparring in the courtyard below?

46. The rabbit
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

As I understood (the guy saw the screen form his car), and it were outside walls, not inside.

Outside walls have nothing with the yard.

Maybe they will put cameras up there for filming Kings arrival in Winterfell.

47. WinterIsComing
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

It's almost like he is replying to you, rabbit. Hehe.

I agree with you, but I think that that scaffolding is more likely involved in the interior shots. The area where I took the photo would have been the lighting above the courtyard. I was at the back of the castle. The curtain suggests that it is being used as a background. I think a strong possibility is the Arya/Jon scene.

Also there is a big black box sticking out of the side of the castle on one of the walls. I'm not sure what the purpose was. But it could be being used as a camera platform to film the interior of the great hall – from outside?

He also says he has a photo of the equipment on top of the wall. I asked him to give us a link, might help us understand more what he is talking about.

48. Paul Gude
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Winter, I don't remember any scene from the pilot script involving kitchens. My guess is an added Arya scene where she runs through them after an argument or simply to cause mischief. Larger speculation is that we establish that she sneaks in there sometimes, so we're not surprised when she makes friends with the butcher boy later.

49. Brude
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

You can see the black box he's talking about in one of the pictures posted here, the bottom corner of it.

It could be a camera stand or a light stand. You'd need something like that to mount lights if you want a very specific effect of exterior light streaming into a room inside (the great hall?). It could even be for both, ultimately if they want a shot through the window too.

50. The rabbit
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Interesting, I was all messed up with that platform on the photos, it looked like to me like a place to shoot something happing in fornt of the entrance.
    But it could easily be that other thing,too.

51. Brude
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

If they are doing the feast scene, the director could easily have added shots of the house staff in the kitchens. I assume they will shoot a lot of that sort of thing showing the hustle-and-bussle of a great castle like Winterfell. It's second unit type of stuff, usually, but all very necessary to make it look real.

52. The rabbit
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Brude, I do not see anything looks like a black box???

53. sjwenings
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

So anyone know what the weatherforecast is? They'll need some time without the rain…

54. WinterIsComing
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Brude: That makes sense. I am picturing a scene showing the kitchen briefly and then following one of the servants carrying a roast pig (hence the dead pig prop) out to the Great Hall, who then lays it on a table in front of Ned, Cat, Robert and Cersei. The scene proper then starts from there.

55. lordnedshead
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

There is no actual scene with Arya in the kitchens, but there are plenty of references to Arya Underfoot always getting in the way of the castle staff. Come to think of it Bran is a pretty big thorn in the side of the noble servants too. Maybe they are shooting some kind of character establishing scene with Arya and Bran trying to snatch a pie from the kitchen before the feast?

Man I feel like its Christmas morning. Christmas morning when I was a kid in bed waiting for my parents to get up so I could open up my Milennium Falcom toy. Not Christmas morning as a grown up where my kids jump on the bed to get me up so they can open THEIR toys ;P Actually I think I'd trade in that "beat up hunk of junk" for a shot of Cersei's wheelhouse parked outside the castle.

56. Mormegil
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

I can certainly see a scene of Arya Underfoot running though the Kitchen while they are trying to prepare for the feast.

57. Paul Gude
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

If not an added character scene, which I'd love, then Brude's idea makes a lot of sense.

58. WinterIsComing
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

sjwenings: Looks like rain off and on for most of this week. I'm sure they've planned for this though, seeing as how they are shooting in Scotland in late October.

59. Brude
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Brude, I do not see anything looks like a black box???

Middle picture, upper right hand corner. On the scaffolding there are big, black curtains. You'd build these out in a big box if you want to control the lighting around the area on the scaffold platform, either for lights or for a camera.

60. Marko
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Hope the rain doesn't disturb their plans too much and gets them off schedule … as you said, Winter, they must have planned for that, given the season. Thanks for the updates!

61. The rabbit
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Thank you Brude…ha ha..I did not noticed it at all.

62. maltaran
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

@Brienne – Morocco is the same time zone as the UK, so no need for a separate clock.

63. Marko
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

@Brienne: Morocco actually lies in the same time zone, so you can just follow the Belfast clock. Conveniently, you never have to reset your watch travelling between the three shooting locations :)

64. lordnedshead
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

OMG! Dinklage in tights!!!!

65. Paul Gude
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Ice cold, lordnedshead.

Just get it out of your system.

66. lordnedshead
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

lol had too. I was bouncing off my chair ;P Needed to let some steam off! Sorry!

67. WinterIsComing
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

The first photo posted by Loras gives a great view of the scaffolding and "black box" on the outside of the castle. Loras said there is another one on the other side of the castle, also looking into the great hall. His theory, which sounds like a good one to me, is that they will be housing cameras for filming the hall so that they will be able to use the whole hall in the scene. Instead of having much of it taken up with camera equipment.

68. The rabbit
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

And the other one lokks to me: like a lightening over the inside yard.
    Still pretty curious about the Ghost.

69. lordnedshead
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

With the lighting on the wall they could have been filming the "all dwarves are bastards in their fathers eyes" scene. Ghost was there for that. Also Ghost is under one of the tables at the banquet baring his teeth at the castle dogs during the scene between Benjen and Jon.

70. Jonias
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

I thought at first Doune was just going to be used for the courtyard more than likely for the sword training scene and perhaps the arrival. If they are shooting in the great hall and kitchen it looks to me they are going for a more realistic look. The banquet scene at Winterfell accomodated over 300 guests plus the Starks and servants which meant there were more than likely 400 in attendance. That would be a very BIG set. It looks from the photos that the Doune Castle hall can accomodate about 50 guests plus servants, so unless they are green screening the walls to add cgi later on, my assumption is a more intimate realistic approach as in LOTR. The Golden Hall of the Rohimm was like Winterfell a massive structure in the books, but it's size was reduced so as to make the hall more realistic and intimate. I was hoping for mindboggling and ancient though. Winterfell is thousands of years old and I always envisioned when I read the books of a massive hall, full of old ghosts and memories, the ceiling so high your can barely make out rafters in the firelight. I might be wrong though, I will wait and see and not assume.

71. ddaimyo
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Been following the reports on twitter and someone said Sean Bean won't be there til next week, but that Lena Headey is there today. Unless they added a new scene, which scene is she in, that Sean isn't besides the sex scene? Either that or some bogus reports.

72. The rabbit
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Lena Headey?
    We have only information about Dinklage beeing there.
    Colud you please, if you can, give us a link telling about Headey.

73. ddaimyo
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Copy and Paste from twitter:
    westerosorg A little bird shares the rumor that Lena Headey (with hair dyed blonde) was at Doune, looking absolutely beautiful… #gameofthrones

74. lavenderea
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

SO EXCITED!

Before going back to lurkland, thank you WIC for many great posts. :)

75. The rabbit
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

@ddaimyo
    thanx.
    But now I wonder, if the little bird told the truth, at least two Lannisters are there, and Sean Bean is not.
    The only scene I remember where with Cersei without Ned being around is the Things I do for love..
    Or there is another new secene added?

76. ddaimyo
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

That's what I assumed. Either Things I do for love or a new scene or some bogus reports.

77. Brude
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Well, the Pycell scene was apparently cut, but we don't know if it was replaced with anything or not. If so, it could be some more with Cersei.

78. WinterIsComing
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Or maybe Sean Bean just had some other scheduling commitment and was excused from the set until next week.

Also I'm like 95% sure that it's not a bogus report. Actually I'm fairly certain that Ran heard it from Parris, who was lurking on the forums right around the time that tweet went out.

79. Elisabeth
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

ohmigodohmigodohmigod = my only thoughts at this moment. That, and I'm hoping to see some pictures of the actors in their getups. Especially Lena and her blonde hair.

80. gwakk
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

Wow, this is so fun! Wish I had the time and money to go visit, it isn't that far away, there's a direct 3 hour flight to London from here.

Today the Sarah Connor Chronicles or whatever was on tv, so I sat down to watch for Lena Headey. But I was dissappointed, I didn't get what the f… was going on in the show and there was no Lena either! So no preview of her acting skills for me. :/

Oh, som random thing, winter was here for a week or so also, but then the snow dissappeared and it rained instead. Now the frost is back and the weather forcasts say we'll get snow again next weekend. Hurray! (I think :S)

Btw, if (when) the series gets a pickup, I'll definitely get in line for auditions for lord Gyles. I'm ignoring the minor problem of me being a 22-year old girl (that's what makeup people are for! :D) and focusing all my energy on the fact that I've been coughing my head off and almost puke for every other cough for several days now. It's so exhausting and I can't sleep, that's why I'm up now writing loads of stupid stuff here (it's 5 AM in my part of the world and I'm sleepy). Anywho, at the state I'm in now, I'd make an absolutely perfect lord Gyles.

Btw once more; I've been trying to post on other stuff after the wolf post, but I haven't been able to, just getting error messages all over the place. Hope it works this time.

81. Adam Whitehead
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

One of the other bloggers on Westeros has put together an excellent 'virtual tour' of Doune Castle which is worth checking out:

Some more info from one of the posters who was wandering around the castle:

"Can you comment on Dinklage's appearance? Was he wearing makeup (like was he made to look grotesque), was his hair blonde?"

"His hair was blonde and longish, scruffy looking, very much as I imagine Tyrion. He wasn't in make up or costume or anything – didn't see anyone in costume really. He was hanging about outside the castle a fair bit.

Just to echo Loras, staff at the castle were lovely and friendly. It wasn't shut off to tourists today which is how we got in (not anything to do with being a 'long term aquaintance' of GRRM, Ran!). Just luck we arrived when there wasn't too much filming going on so we could wander around. Lots of film vans, and buzz about the place."

82. gwakk
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 12:02 am | Permalink

Oh, that's some nice castle pics! :D The castle looks quite small for Winterfell, but as others say, they'll probably do some movie magic and studio shots to make it the right size.

Why didn't the vikings build castles instead of stupid boats? Then they could have filmed up here instead, and be almost guaranteed snow (and I could afford to go visit ;p). And, Sean Bean's been here before for a film that was shot in Film Camp in Målselv (which is about two hours from here and maybe one hour from the zoo with the wolves – which would be perfect, they could just borrow the wolves from the zoo too). This is the film (sorry it's all in Norwegian, but I think there's some info in English, + some nice pics).

Btw, do you have daylights saving time (or whatever it's called :S) in the US? Cause I see the clock for Belfast time has changed but the time on the posts have not. Maybe there's a different date for you guys?

Yay, my coughing has finally calmed down a bit, think I'll go try to sleep now. Nightynight all!

83. Paul Gude
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 12:42 am | Permalink

For the US it ends a week later. This "week later" business started in 2007, apparently because of the Energy Policy Act of 2005.

Now it's supposed to end the first Sunday in November.

84. Paul J
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 1:49 am | Permalink

The great hall is apparently bigger than it looks. 66 x 28 feet, 39 feet tall, is nothing to sneeze at. By my rough calculations, 300-400 people would be perfectly reasonable in that space.

85. The rabbit
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 2:20 am | Permalink

Good morning to everyone…
    It is day 2.
    I hope that we will have some more spy reports from Doune Castle today…

86. Brienne
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 2:48 am | Permalink

D'oh! Oh, well geography always was my worst subject.

87. Marko
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 3:10 am | Permalink

So, good morning! :) I have never imagined there would be so many reports from the set in a single day. Is every day going to be like that from now on, at least while they are shooting in Europe? Exciting.

A quick thing to fix, Winter: The link behind the new banner is broken, it starts with HHttp.
    If you are bored before there's time for the Doune castle shoot, Part II post, there may be some bits in GRRM's confirmations that would fit in the 'What the producers think' category.

Keep up the good work. You're doing great keeping everyone up to date in real time, so to speak, I'm amazed.

88. The rabbit
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 3:20 am | Permalink

I think that the reason for so many reports is the fact that the shooting takes place outside, at well known castle, open to tourists.
    If they were inside "the walls" of Paint Hall, there would not be any reports.
    So, thanks God, they are shooting at Doune Castle, at least for a first week.
    Also, it seems that there enough Highland fans willing to go there and sneak..
    We must say one big thank you to all scottish little birds who are doing the job…lol

I doubt that there will be any reports from the Paint Hall..

89. Marko
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 3:45 am | Permalink

I agree … unfortunately enough. Hope for some sneak photos here and there, and other report candies.

90. The rabbit
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 5:10 am | Permalink

We are lucky enough for the start.
    The only person I could lean on my hopes later on is our GRRM himself.

I think he would be our only "insider" from Paint Hall.
    Our, perhaps his lady Parris, as an undercover agent.

91. gorangligovic
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 5:21 am | Permalink

Hey guys, what about the news we were supposed to hear from MileHiCon?

92. The rabbit
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 5:27 am | Permalink

@Goran
    As far as we know the big news from MileHiCon is : artist John Picacio will illustrate the 2011 ASOIAF calendar.

93. gorangligovic
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 5:28 am | Permalink

Really? Well, you know…okay. I was kinda hoping for something bigger :D

94. The rabbit
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 5:34 am | Permalink

Somebody said that a couple of days ago (in advance), unfortunately I am not capable to tell you who it was, because I had all the news and sources mixed up in my head…

95. gorangligovic
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 5:38 am | Permalink

No wonder, it's been frantic around here lately. I still hope GRRM will not-blog about the filming.

96. Marko
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 5:44 am | Permalink

I'm positive he won't be able to contain himself when he sees all the exciting stuff in person.

97. gorangligovic
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 5:46 am | Permalink

@Marko
    That's what I'm counting on, yes. I mean, the man will see his characters come to life before his very eyes, who in his place could resist braging about it…

98. The rabbit
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 5:47 am | Permalink

That is my only hope lol

Martins excitement and his will to share it with us.
    He will write about his impressions at least.

99. Mormegil
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 6:38 am | Permalink

@gwakk

Did you see the whole episode as I can't think of any episode where she wasn't in it at all?

100. Pierce
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 6:39 am | Permalink

@ Winter

Your "Jason Momoa as Drogo" banner is broken :(

101. Pierce
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 6:39 am | Permalink

one two many H's in http

102. WinterIsComing
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 6:40 am | Permalink

Marko & Pierce: Fixed the banner. Thanks guys for the heads up!

103. Mani
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 7:04 am | Permalink

Yay for day two! Let's hope for more exciting news. I'd go lurk around if I wasn't in Finland!

104. shinyteapot
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Great to see things getting going. I hope we get some publicity shots of the actors in costume, I'd love to see what the characters will look like, particularly the family groups together.

105. Marko
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 8:27 am | Permalink

Perhaps a useful additional piece of info to more easily imagine the Doune Castle layout and what we're seeing in the photos: plans.

106. gwakk
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 9:49 am | Permalink

@Mormegil: I think I came into the episode after it had started, but not more than a couple of minutes. I think. And at the beginning I also was running to and fro making food, but I wasn't that much away from the screen and it's and open view from my kitchen to the tv. There was this guy named John Connor though, and something about a submarine I think and a metal being that got out of a suitcase, killed a person, took her form and went off, causing the crew to start killing each other in fear of them being that metal thingy. Maybe Lena was in it, but I didn't see her if she were. :(

107. Brude
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 10:15 am | Permalink

That particular episode is unusual in that it is mostly made up of major flashbacks of two supporting characters. She's definitely in that one, but it focuses on the backstory (which takes place further in the future…time travel and all that) of two people in Sarah's life.

(Incidentally, it's among my favorite episodes of the series – very well done.)

108. gwakk
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 10:47 am | Permalink

@Brude: AHA! That's why I didn't get what was going on! The people were in one place this moment, and then another place the next and I got utterly confused. Maybe not the best episode to see as a first, especially when I didn't get the start and missed some conversation after that as I couldn't hear what they were saying when I was in the kitchen.

Btw, I saw the end of a tudors episode a couple of weeks ago, didn't get what was going on there either, except for a woman being beheaded (and this thing about a meal shaped as a swan or something). No Tamzin Merchant in that episode, but I only saw the last 5 maybe 10 minutes so not unexpected.

109. Brude
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 10:51 am | Permalink

@gwakk, that was the final episode of Season 2 of Tudors – that was Anne Boleyn getting beheaded and the meal he was having was supposed to signify how he was falling into ever deeper gluttony (though John Rhys Davies refused to put on weight for the role later).

Tamzin Merchant comes in the last two episodes of Season 3 and will have more to do in the first half of Season 4, which has now been shot but have yet to air.

110. Brude
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Jonathan Rhys Myers, not Rhys Davies. Woops.

111. gwakk
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Aha. No wonder she wasn't in it then. Thanks for the clarifications! :) I usually don't see shows that has to be seen regularly on tv as I can't stand the stupid subtitles they have to put in there, they ruin the whole thing. So I just end up downloading a few shows regularly instead. Not ideal because of the whole legal issues, but it is so painful to watch with subtitles, it ruins the picture and the translations are horrible (a great example is from Star Wars II, when Palpatine says "and one day you'll get invincible" and it in the subtitles said the Norwegian word for "invicible"…). Also, Norwegian tv networks are so slow in picking up shows, I think they for example just finished airing the first season of true blood. And they've hidden it away on a channel that nobody watch and at a time it's impossible to watch if you wanna go to work/school the next day without being tired.

If HBO were available here, I'd definitely order it!

112. Knurk
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Awfully quiet over here, everybody's watching football?

113. Adam Whitehead
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Additional report from the Westeros board:

"Okay, so I popped in to Doune in mid-afternoon yesterday (24th). As has been said before, the staff were really courteous.
    It was all set up for the feast, with tapestries on the wall and enough seating for about 50. It looked really cool – though as has been mentioned before in this thread, a lot smaller than I'd imagined. Went back down (after phoning my mates from Winterfell!) just before they were rehearsing a scene with Ghost – a very cute(!) white wolf puppy. I, along with the rest of the public were ushered away while they did the rehearsal, so can't tell you anything about that.

Didn't spend long there, but was well worth taking a detour and spending £3.20! "

114. Anne-Katrine
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

I've been away what? two weeks, and EVERYTHING has happened! First of all, congratz to Paul Gude for The Daily Beast mentioning (and for getting Ludwin right ;))

Second of all – wonderful pictures. Thanks to everyone who sneakily took those photos – wish I could be in Ireland with my spy-cam too :) I can't wait to see the pilot (which makes the following year all the more hard to bear.) Can't wait either for the first publicity stills… Greedy? Me?

Last but not least – I've missed you guys.
    (Flower Adams)

115. Adam Whitehead
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

To me, that suggests they've been rehearsing without Sean Bean there. That explains the lack of costuming. And of course depending on what they meant by 'next week', maybe he's turning up tomorrow?

That would also explain the 24th/26th date thing. Rehearsing on the 24th, actually shooting tomorrow. Nice.

116. Jillian
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Ran, over at Westeros found what looks to be the twitter of a stand in for Lena Headey/Jennifer Ehle.

117. lordnedshead
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Day 2 over and no more pics. Bummer ;( I was hoping GRRM'd manage a quick update but so far looks like no dice. Maybe tomorrow.

118. WinterIsComing
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

lordnedshead: According to reports, there was no filming today. Thus the lack of photos or on set reports. Monday sounds like they will be filming in earnest, including scenes with Cersei, Catelyn, Tyrion and possibly Ned. Hopefully we will get some exciting reports and/or photos tomorrow.

119. Marko
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 3:14 am | Permalink

Now it indeed seems that Saturday was a day for on-set rehearsals (wouldn't also make sense not to shoot anything on Sunday, if they started properly on Saturday). Cool … so today it goes for real, with everyone on the set – I believe someone reported somewhere that even Bean is scheduled to be there this Monday. Good luck, and good reporting :)

120. About Yea High
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 3:28 am | Permalink

New Not A Blog post up!

Oh, NOW he feels guilty. -.-

121. Marko
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 3:32 am | Permalink

Hehe :D

That's further indication that today is the first day of shooting.

122. Peter
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 3:32 am | Permalink

George joles a little around with the thoughts of making the story a little nicer on the girls.

The most important piece of news though, seems to be, that the entire cast will be on set today.

123. SA_Avenger
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 3:35 am | Permalink

It's great to have all the reports and can't wait for more. I wish I had time to pay a visit as well O_O

124. Peter
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 3:49 am | Permalink

When George said the entire cast I am sure he didn´t mean Tamzin Merchant, Harry Lloyd, Iain Glen and Jason Momoa.
    Don´t know when they will film in Maroocco, but will give Jason some more time to hit the gym
    (and the stable)
    Hopefully they can make a believable rider out of him yet.

125. Silverstar
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 7:38 am | Permalink

Did we ever find out what the news announced at MileHiCon in Denver was? George said something would be announced first there over the weekend, but if it was, and it was something exciting, I'm somehow missed it.

126. Mauberly
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 7:38 am | Permalink

The Press and Journal's article of the filming in Doune Castle.

127. LadyNYC74
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 7:42 am | Permalink

"A horse, A horse, My kingdom for a horse!" ….. very old saying, Shakespere I think … but in my head its a little different … "A pic, a pic, my kingdom for a pic of Dinklage as Tyrion"(all blond and scuffy looking, sounds kinda hot …. LOL) … no one ever photoshopped him …. at least I don't think so …

128. Marko
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 7:49 am | Permalink

Looking forward to George's recount of the first day of shooting!

129. gofalcons
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 8:13 am | Permalink

From Mauberly's posted article:

"The new series starring Sean Bean is based on adventure novels by George R. R. Martin and is due to reach television screens next year."

We can only hope!

130. gorangligovic
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 8:21 am | Permalink

@LadyNYC

Yes, that's Shakespeare's Richard III. So, if you are giving kingdoms away, ask for something more than just one picture, will you? For example, a series order ;)

131. legion_quest666
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Morrocco filming will have to be done before December as Harry Lloyd has a new play opening.

132. strangerface
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Silverstar – Was MileHiCon the one where he read the new chapter featuring the new POV? Or was that some other news? (I'm getting these Cons mixed up.)

133. WinterIsComing
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Silverstar: I believe the news was that John Picacio would be illustrating the 2011 ASoIaF calendar.

134. Silverstar
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Aha, alright then, I missed that. Thanks :)

135. Lauren
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 9:08 am | Permalink

so it's 2:00 in the afternoon in NI and still nothing new today? *impatience*

136. Mark
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 9:23 am | Permalink

*taps foot impatiently as well!!*