Harry Lloyd gushes about Thrones
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

Another interview, another actor excited about the project. This time it’s Harry Lloyd, who in an interview with the Gay Times, mentions his work on the Game of Thrones pilot. If you’d like to read the full article, go here. Here is the part where he talks about Thrones.

Refreshingly down to Earth for a 26-year-old in his position, he refers to himself as ‘a worrier’. Which makes it all the more gratifying to see him talk about his current other project, a pilot for a new HBO fantasy series, Game of Thrones, based on a range of books. He likens it to a less-magical Lord of the Rings (‘big battles, political and quite dark’) and gleefully describes his role as ‘a brilliant fucking character, a really nice nasty part’.

It’s something he returns to throughout our interview, each time becoming so animated that I actually want to put in a call to the television network and demand they commission a full series as it clearly means that much to him.

Winter Is Coming: Such enthusiasm for the project is a great thing to see. We know the cast in Northern Ireland had a blast, and it sounds like the Morocco crew did as well. With this much excitement from Lloyd, I can’t wait to see what he’s done with the role.

[Thanks to The rabbit for the link and Ran for transcribing the relevant passage.]

1. Marko
    Posted December 22, 2009 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Glad everyone so far has shown so much enthusiasm!

2. shinyteapot
    Posted December 22, 2009 at 10:23 am | Permalink

I'm really looking forward to seeing Lloyd as Viserys, I think he's a great actor and perfect for the role. Viserys needs to be nasty without going into pantomime villain territory and I'm very interested to see how he turns out on screen.

3. nikki
    Posted December 22, 2009 at 11:34 am | Permalink

awesome! this is one character that I am really excited to see on screen.

4. meggyo
    Posted December 22, 2009 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

I, too, am looking forward to seeing him on the screen. Viserys is a character that could easily go off the deep end into absurdity on film, so I hope Lloyd can keep him villainous, without being ridiculous. I have great faith in the casting people, so I'm sure this isn't something I need fret about too much.

5. Paul Gude
    Posted December 22, 2009 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Meggyo, the thing about Viserys for me has always been the fact that his behavior would be considered absurd if he wasn't also prone to violence.

Someone pointed out that he wasn't much of a danger, especially with Drogo around. If anyone has ever dealt with an emotionally unstable younger sibling or significant other, or has ever worked as a cop or a bouncer, I think you'll get it when I say that just the fact that he's willing to hit folks makes him a danger.

There I mentioned this in a discussion about this on another thread, but the fact that he'd act that way in front of Drogo and all his people speaks volumes.

I mention it simply because I thought he was amazing in the Doctor Who episode I saw him in, but he was definitely over-the-top. There may be some ridiculousness that does happen, depending on how you define it.

The magic of Lloyd is that you can watch him go off the deep end and not be thrown out of what you're watching.

6. meggyo
    Posted December 22, 2009 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Paul – True, his actions in the book certainly are absurd to normal people, but I don't want Viserys coming across as so out-this-world nuts that people just laugh at him. I can somewhat agree that Viserys wasn't as much of a threat to Dany once Drogo entered the picture, but you can't discount what a crazy person has the potential to do. I would like for Viserys to come across as more dangerous/violent crazy, than silly/stupid crazy.

7. Paul Gude
    Posted December 22, 2009 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Meggyo, very much agreed!

I think Lloyd is one of those rare actors who will be able to do everything Viserys does in the book and make you believe it's legit.

And if THAT is accomplished, folks will see how dangerous Viserys really was.

8. Sarah Ha Ha
    Posted December 22, 2009 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Yo Viserys has issues yo. I think he will be great with Harry Loyd.

9. Hjonarn
    Posted December 22, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

I think Viserys is quite dangerous. Pathetic and small but still dangerous.
    That is because he has nothing to lose. I remember Ned saying that a deserter of the black is dangerous because of the same reason.

In the end before Viserys "Crowning", Drogo was just lucky Viserys had his fit of rage at that time.
    He was just as likely to get it in the middle of the night and slit Drogos throat in his sleep.

Thats Viserys, Stupid, greedy, pathetic, small, weak yet proud and angry. Capable of anything and everything and he is completely unpredictable.

Posted December 22, 2009 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Eleventh!

11. wabawanga
    Posted December 23, 2009 at 12:35 am | Permalink

Oh man this interview has gotten me completely excited for the show again. I've been really anticipating getting some of the cast and crew reactions about the production and the shoot. It's just awesome to me that GoT is like all Harry Lloyd wants to talk about! I can't wait to read more interviews! Thanks for this one Rabbit, you made my day(s)!

12. Lazy
    Posted December 23, 2009 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Wow. This is terrific. Thanks Ran & Rabbit !!

13. The rabbit
    Posted December 24, 2009 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

I have discovered two brand new fan sites.
    One is dedicated to Sophie Turner and the other to GoT .
    The buzz is growing, and that is good.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

14. legion_quest666
    Posted December 25, 2009 at 11:48 am | Permalink

I haven't been around much since casting finished, but just popped in to say Merry Christmas to everyone!

15. Marko
    Posted December 25, 2009 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Merry Christmas and all the best to everyone! Enjoy the holiday.

16. gameofthrones
    Posted December 31, 2009 at 6:23 am | Permalink

Gay times?

Is our harry gay then, not that it matters really