HBO screening pilot now
By Winter Is Coming on in Rumors, Speculation.

It seems likely HBO has begun screening the pilot for Game of Thrones. This is based off of a few unconfirmed reports, in addition to the fact that HBO president Michael Lombardo was quoted on Jan. 14 as saying they would see the pilot in two weeks.

Winter Is Coming: So the pilot is done. Well, done enough to show to HBO internally anyway. So now we wait for HBO’s final decision. Despite the fact that they are screening the pilot now, I’ve been told by those in the know that HBO is adamant about waiting until March for the official announcement. If we are lucky, we might get a short statement from HBO about their thoughts on the pilot. I wouldn’t count on it though. Still, it is exciting to think that there are some lucky individuals out there that have seen the pilot episode of Game of Thrones!

1. John Engedal
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

*crosses all fingers* Those people are beyond lucky. I hope they saw the best episode of televison ever.

2. The_Rabbit01
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Exciting news !

It is one month to go.

3. The_Rabbit01
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Who is usually present at these screenings?
    Only HBO heads? Or the people who worked on the pilot, like David Benioff etc…?

Posted January 30, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Good question. I assume that Benioff and Weiss would be present at the first screening, along with the other producers and the HBO execs. After that I think they would screen it for others. As in the case with Jay Judah, he doesn't work for HBO but is involved with the Conan movie so they probably asked HBO if they could see the pilot to watch Momoa's performance.

5. The_Rabbit01
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Jay J. is form LA, as I assumed, and there was that hint on the twiiter that screening took place in NY.
    Are we maybe talking about two screenings at the same day? In two different cities?

Just too curious about it.

6. Ramola
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Last night While I was bar hopping I met a bartender who I had mentioned asoiaf to months back. Since about three months ago he has read all the books and is paitiently waiting for the hbo show. I had to do the honorary fist bump after knowing my seed came to fruition woooo!

Good luck game of thrones!

7. seb332
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

but it looks like George was very busy writing in the last few days. He is listed as co-Executive Producer, wouldn't he be among the first to see the first version?

8. Legion
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

We NEED to see this leak!

Do pilots ever get leaked?

9. The_Rabbit01
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

I do not think that Georges presence at the screening in this stage would be neccessary.
    I assume it is rather HBO inside-screening + some people form the business like Jay J.

10. meatpopsicle
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Jason Momoa you had better hit the gym hard, train with mma fighters, eat fire and spikes so you do not look like a complete puss as Conan. I think you will do a great job. No pressure :P

11. John Engedal
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

I cant see this getting leaked, unless someone involved with the production decides they´re having a bad day and doesn´t want to work on it anymore, which I would think is impossible. I mean, they´re working on Game Of:)

12. The_Rabbit01
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

It looks like it.
    He was just "sneaking" Momoa.

I still wonder about that NY rumour.

13. Aoede
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Ahem.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (et ad lib.)

14. Butterbumps
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

WIC, they should give you a sneak peak. You were instrumental in spreading the news and keeping us enthusiasts informed.

15. Ninepenny
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Yes, but most of them don't.

16. Michael
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 12:04 am | Permalink

Word I'm hearing is that HBO didn't like the pilot.

17. Sarah Curry Burch
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 12:06 am | Permalink

Where are you hearing that from, Michael?

18. Marilyn Bones
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 12:09 am | Permalink

this is awesome news …. I know its just rough scenes but i'm so envious right now for the lucky few ….. hope the HBO execs like what they see … i also hope no leaked scenes …. don't want anything to ruin this for us …. March is just 29 days away!!!

19. G
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

This sounds great. Even if Jay only got a sneak peak, he got it waaaaay before we (maybe – but fingers crossed) get a look. Wondering if they already have the opening scene in this version…
    Be as it may, my awesome-o-meter is reaching new levels.

Greetings

20. Nymeria
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 1:58 am | Permalink

If you're going to try and burst our bubble, you should at least give us a clue as to what your sources are.
    And from what WiC gathered, it looks like they didn't screen the whole pilot officially yet. So it is kinda hard to believe you.

21. Rer
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 2:14 am | Permalink

As an REH faithful I hate the idea of JM as Conan, doesn't fit. Of course I didn't like Arnold as Conan either. I don't have much hope for the new Conan movie, though I think JM is a great actor.

22. Lauren
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 6:33 am | Permalink

so exciting! i'm totally envious of the lucky few who got to see clips of GoT. x3

23. Wyatt Dorn
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 7:09 am | Permalink

Ya WIC, I gotta say you deserve to see it for helpin' so much.

24. Dunkeltroll
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Maybe you should go see a doctor – there are pills that may help ease your condition. Hearing words all the time is serious shit, man!

Really, next time please at least TRY to be funny or convincing. I know not all of MY jokes hit home, but that may be because of my special brand of Dark Troll Humor (TM) – it's not for everyone… ;-)

25. Laura Luchetti
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

I'm sooo envious ^_^ we'll have to wait almost a year, but I'm confident!

26. Laura Luchetti
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

PS: WIC, I'm connected with Facebook, but when I try to vote comments, it says I have to log in. But I'm already logged. Dunno :)

27. John Engedal
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Yeah I have the same problem, Im wondering if maybe only Intensedebate members can vote?

28. Dunkeltroll
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Let's put it like this:

How many users (IntenseD or otherwise) are able to vote here? Seems not so many. Look at the votings, the extremes tend to be +2 / -2. And once you hit the wrong button (as I did today with the post of "Micheal" above), there's no turning back.

29. Knurk
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

I can vote, via intensedebtae. But I never use it, I don't see the point. You guys ain't missing much.

30. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

I'm not understanding what to do on the voting aspect either. Oh in other news, I hear that HBO isn't to thrilled with Micheal either and have just ejected him out the back of a C-130 Herc tied to the giant harpy statue they are dumping over GRRM's house.

31. The_Rabbit01
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Voting?

32. Dunkeltroll
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Whooo: look out, GRRM: Michael is Incoming!

33. Dunkeltroll
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Let's all push The Rabbit: Thumbs up from me! :-)

34. Dunkeltroll
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

Hm: no, that doesn't seem to have an effect on my own score.

But I could vote on comments I already voted on a few days ago (apart from my own, of course…) Is this meant to work like this?

35. Tim Schaffer
    Posted February 1, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

One Month til March!!!!!!!!!!!

36. sjwenings
    Posted February 1, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

One month, but i bet they won't make the announcement until the last week of march. Why? Because things seem to always take at least as much time as the maximum planned.

37. Lauren
    Posted February 1, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

yeah, I think it's only intensedebate accounts that can vote. kinda lame, but at least it's something. :\\

38. Lauren
    Posted February 1, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

yeah, that and just because they can.

39. Frank Johnson
    Posted February 1, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Awesome awesome awesome

Posted February 2, 2010 at 4:49 am | Permalink

I just went ahead and deactivated the voting and reputation scores as they were pointless and confusing.

41. Dunkeltroll
    Posted February 2, 2010 at 5:12 am | Permalink

Good move!

Is it just me, or did this improve the time the pages need to load?

Also, the "Jump to" links work now! Is this a side effect or did you manage to fix them otherwise?

42. Stella Maris
    Posted February 2, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Thank you! Don't want to rile the competitive types do we? And if any comment is bad/offensive enough that it would be down-voted into oblivion, I would hope that you would remove it.

Not to say that would happen here. This is a good lot of folks :)

43. Lauren
    Posted February 2, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

good idea. things look cleaner this way, too. *nodnod*

44. @ena2345
    Posted February 2, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Fingers crossed! Everything crossed!

Some people mentioned that Winter should be invited to the screening. Sounds lovely at first, but then he'd have to keep quiet about it. Which is Pain and Suffering Inc. :)

Crossing everything now. X

45. ttr
    Posted February 4, 2010 at 6:38 am | Permalink

Please leak, please… :(

46. Danny Dreijer
    Posted February 5, 2010 at 8:37 am | Permalink

I'm sure that a leak will show up pretty soon. I mean: it's the internet, right? ;)

47. Steven Scott
    Posted February 6, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Not likely. I don't remember an HBO pilot ever leaking.