WiC on A Podcast of Ice and Fire
By Winter Is Coming on in General.

As some of you may know I recently recorded a podcast with the crew from A Podcast of Ice and Fire. Well that podcast is now up and ready for download at their site! For those that don’t know, APOIAF is a podcast that offers a fun, funny and often irreverent look at the A Song of Ice and Fire series. Of course this means that spoilers abound for those that haven’t finished all the books yet. In addition the podcast contains adult content, which I imagine won’t offend anyone here since we’re all presumably fans of HBO and/or ASOIAF, but I figure I should mention it.

Anyway, have a listen and let me know what you think. My podcasting skills still need a ton of polishing but I had a lot of fun! Hope you enjoy!

1. Petter Kristian
    Posted March 31, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Fun stuff! Plan on making many more of these?

Posted March 31, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

As long as people keep inviting me on their podcasts, than yeah, sure. :)

3. Gaz
    Posted March 31, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

thanks for heads up, il have to give them a listen when i finish the series!

4. Freaky_direwolf
    Posted March 31, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Phil, I don't know. I would stay away from their podcast as a guest host. It would be much better if you had 7-12 minutes to give your updates or scoop on the HBO series.

You are the "John Clayton to ESPN to NFL football" to A Song of Ice and Fire.

You are too talented and it would be counterproductive to you.

That's my 2 cents.

5. @wabawanga
    Posted March 31, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Unrelated: The Wire writer David Mills Dies

6. Knurk
    Posted March 31, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Nice listen Winter!

When I read the books the scene that I envisioned would be the most awesome/chilling for cinema or television was the siege of Mereen: first the road full of dead slaves (horror), then all te Mereenese showing their dicks and take a piss of the wall (humor) and finally Belwas kicking ass and taking a dump (action–>Belwas our new culthero). That chapter has all the elements for great television.

7. shadallion
    Posted March 31, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

That's horrible about Mills.

8. nicole
    Posted March 31, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

just read this on gawker… sad news indeed.

Posted March 31, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Sorry to keep taking this off topic, but do we know how this will affect Treme? Was Mills planning on writing most/many of the episodes? Is the show going to continue without him?

On topic, I plan on hopefully checking out that podcast later today.

10. JackSparrow
    Posted March 31, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

I don't really know much of anything about this David Mills guy or his contribution to 'Treme', but I would guess the show would just go on without him. David Simon is the executive producer (maybe not the only one, but I think the primary one), and the first season premieres in just a couple of weeks, I think, so it's probably all been shot and maybe even finished post production by now. Writers came and went at times on 'The Wire', too; I remember one of the crime novelists who worked on the show left to write a book at some point, I think. Also, one of the producers died between seasons 2 and 3.

11. dizzy34
    Posted March 31, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Good (long) listen. I'm not sure I agree about Tywin not being a villian. Look at how he ends.
    SPOILER
    Sleeping with Shea before they both get offed by Tyrion. What a complete hypocrite asshole the character is. Sure hope mimi's(?) dad wouldn't do that.

Posted March 31, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Oh my … :/
    RIP

13. Neal
    Posted March 31, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

I don't know if this is the place to post this, but here's an interesting article in Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118017091.html?…

14. Knurk
    Posted March 31, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Interesting article indeed. I do advise you to watch WiC and Westeros twitter-accounts, they had mentioned the article over there.

15. danooli
    Posted March 31, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

wow! i just downloaded the new podcast this morning but haven't listened to it yet. i can't wait to listen!

Posted March 31, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

Just listened, and enjoyed it much more than that first podcast Winter was on (I guess because these are actually big ASOIAF fans, not just Fantasy/Sci-Fi fans, so they actually know what they're talking about).

Also, judging by the photos on their website, Mimi is hot! :)

17. Kanga
    Posted March 31, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

Cool stuff! I had no idea that podcast even existed.

WiC, just want to say thank you for all the hard work you do with this site. Before I discovered this wonderful place I had only the Not a Blog to keep me informed, which is not so forthcoming with news and details on these things…I really really appreciate everything you do for us starving fans, it really makes it so much more fun having a site like this where we can check (multiple times) daily if there's anything new and exciting going on. From the bottom of my rabid ASOIAF fangirl heart, I hope you know how much you're appreciated, you really are amazing for doing all this <3

Posted April 1, 2010 at 7:33 am | Permalink

Ohh, I was confusing him with David Simon.

Posted April 1, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

I finished with the second half today, this was an interesting podcast.

20. Lauren
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Is this for real?????

RT @adribbleofink GRRM is finished A DANCE WITH DRAGONS: http://bit.ly/9pLa7q

Just saw it on twitter, but the link is blocked for me at my work place. Somebody please fill me in on this!!! D8

Posted April 1, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Lauren, check the date. ;)

22. Lauren
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

you're an evil man, WiC. helping to spread nasty rumors like that. lol

should've known it was too good to be true. xP

23. dizzy34
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Don't believe any articles written today. Theonering.net has a pretty cruel one reguarding The Hobbit that seemed legit.

24. @The_Rabbit01
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Jared Hoy just twitted that his Throne s interview went great.

Keep my fingers crosses for the new crew member.

***Hope it is not the Aprils fools day – joke*** :)

25. ria
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Permalink
  26. Lauren
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

lol very true. can't trust anything today.

i did like this one, though: New Starbucks Sizes. The pictures are pretty funny. x3

Posted April 1, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Consider yourselves lucky. Me, HmR and FaB batted around a few April Fool's ideas including David Hasselhoff being cast as Littlefinger and Tyrion being recast with Verne Troyer.

Ultimately though, I was too lazy to put up an April Fool's story. Maybe next year!

28. @The_Rabbit01
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

ha ha ha!
    David Hasselhoff ???
    OMG!

29. Scott
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Haha, honestly, I was disappointed that there wasn't a joke on this site! Depending on what you did, you would've gotten a lot of people hot and bothered over it.

Also, after today I was overall disappointed in April Fool's day. People are going too over-the-top with their gags where it's more of a "how ridiculous of a story can I put on my website" instead of how can I trick people into thinking that I'm doing something real, yet mind-blowing. But I digress lol

Posted April 1, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

I asked him what he was interviewing for. Based on his experience it has to be some sort of technical crew member position. Interesting that they are interviewing people from the US, I figured all of the tech crew would be from Northern Ireland.

31. bojuju
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

nooooo! GO KVOTHE!

Posted April 1, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Yes, it is always a balancing act though because I don't think you want to do something too realistic than people get annoyed instead of just finding it humorous. I guess that was part of the reason I didn't do a joke today, too much pressure!

33. @The_Rabbit01
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

In the lack of any GoT news last days I think that this a bit of Conan observation would not hurt.

I will treat it as a good news.

34. @The_Rabbit01
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

I will treat it as a good news.

35. Fire And Blood
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

I was trying to get Mo Ryan in on the joke so we'd actually have source material, but it just fell through; I couldn't get an answer in time.

There's always next year.

"GOT: MELISANDRE CAST"

36. Kanga
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Hahahahahaha. And you know what? Betty White is so awesome, she'd probably nail it. ^__^

Posted April 1, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

Hahah, on GRRM's not-a-blog he says he had a similar idea of saying that Dinklage was replaced by Gary Coleman!

Incidentally, if GRRM was willing to possibly joke about that, then maybe that means Dinklage is definitely safe and not being re-cast? Not that anyone said he was, but there's still that mysterious "bad news" GRRM mentioned.

Posted April 1, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

I hope Momoa isn't the "bad news" GRRM mentioned. Maybe he's so thrilled ot be Conan, that he may be considering pulling out of Thrones? That would suck.

39. Mimi Miéville
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 2:24 am | Permalink

uh-oh, i don't know. maybe my dad's hatred of whores is a cover-up for all the ladies he's been sleeping with. family crisis!

40. sjwenings
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 5:11 am | Permalink

It does not mean he is definitely safe, but it DOES in all likelyhood mean that Georges dreaded "bad news" do not include a recast of Dinklage. So small hurray for that!

41. The Rabbit
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 6:00 am | Permalink

Yes, I was wondering about that fact, too.

Maybe, they are interviewing everybody with the good credits.

42. The Rabbit
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 6:01 am | Permalink

I think that the bad news GRRM mentioned was Danys recasting.

43. jeremy
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 6:16 am | Permalink

your too hot to have daddy issues

44. sjwenings
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 6:25 am | Permalink

There was multiple bad news, so it could be both.

45. Laura Luchetti
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Actress Elena Satine posted on twitter that she's gonna make an audition for Got:
    Maybe for Dany? Or Shae?

46. Rimshot44
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Hi

(off-topic)

All the members of Extras NI have received an email saying that the 2010 registration is complete and that our 2010 photos are now on the website. The membership is now bigger that ever (1450 ish). So you can flick through the pictures on http://www.extrasni.com and see who will be filling the benches at the Tourney; wandering the streets of Kings Landing or filling braziers in Winterfell (ahem!). This paragraph in the email (which can also be viewed in the news section of the website) seems to be referring to GOT…

"So all that's left for you to do is just sit tight and wait for the phone to ring. And if you've heard in the press about the forthcoming productions this year – our advice is to start getting HAIRY & TIMELESS LOOKING!!! Avoid getting modern haircuts and highlighted or dyed hair – and for the men in particular – if you can, please grow your hair and your beards – and be prepared to keep them long and your personal look timeless until Jan 2011! "

Time to get hairy again!

47. Rimshot44
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Also, my brother'-in-law's girlfriend has applied to work in the GOT costume department. As I mentioned before, she worked on 'Your Highness' with Hazel Webb-Crozier and co-designed Natalie Portman's warrior outfit (I've seen Natalie in the costume – WOW!) and Danny McBride's costume in the movie. So hopefully she'll get the gig.

48. The Rabbit
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 11:45 am | Permalink

That is cool!

And on wich photo you are? :)

49. The Rabbit
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 11:46 am | Permalink

I would say Shae at first glance.
    Going to ask her..

50. Rimshot44
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 11:49 am | Permalink

That would be telling!

51. Knurk
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Nice one keeping us up to date Rimshot. Hope your brother-in-law's girlfriend will get the job! How does your wife think about growing all that hair?

52. Rimshot44
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

not happy! She doesn't mind a bit of a beard but she hates the Catweazel look!

Posted April 2, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Is this confirmed yet?

54. @The_Rabbit01
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

No, but I am trying to be optimistic :)

55. dizzy34
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

He he. Having Tywin as your Dad couldn't be all that bad… at least you're rich.

56. Steve
    Posted April 3, 2010 at 5:38 am | Permalink

"Britney Spears as Dany" and mentioning the Geeks Meets Geeks advert was good and well.

Whoever keeps nose whistling after every sentence, bad. Not pointing fingers. Phil.

57. MyriL
    Posted April 4, 2010 at 3:21 am | Permalink

Great job on the podcast Winter!

58. thedalitrauma
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 9:04 am | Permalink

I know I am a little late to the party, but that was absolutely excruciating. Jon Snow looks too Jewish? Jon Snow looks like a Mexican day laborer?

1. [...] they have created their own Westerosi house—the now-epic House Blackwoody. Our very own Winter was the guest host back in March of last year for episode 32, appropriately titled “Winter Has [...]