Hodor?
By Fire And Blood on in Casting, Speculation.

As though we weren’t scrambling enough with the Daenerys news, those pesky people at Westeros decided to go and uncover yet another audition tape. This one depicts an Irish actor / DJ named Kristian Nairn auditioning for Hodor.

Hodor?

Fire And Blood: He certainly looks the part, though from what I saw he would more inhabit it physically than skillfully. Were I the one auditioning a Hodor, I would ask the actor to say “Hodor” in as many ways as possible, just to see what kind of different inflections we might get from him. Hodor is a one word role, not a one-note role. From the video (I urge you to see it before it gets yanked) I can’t tell if Kristian is an actor rather than just a big strong guy who looks like Hodor.

1. Ser_NA
    Posted May 21, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

Yeah, that was my one problem, he only really mastered one emotion, and I don't think Hodor is a one-note character. But who knows what they'll go with (if they even include hodor)

2. shadallion
    Posted May 21, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

Nice and dopey looking :) He'd be fine.

3. Ninepenny
    Posted May 21, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Permalink
  4. Fire And Blood
    Posted May 21, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Ninepenny. I think.

I guess having Lia attempt an accent was out of the question. (Take heart, fair Lia, for at least you were better than the guy reading opposite you.)

I think I'll keep this audition on file in case people complain about how bad some auditions are; here is proof there can always be something worse.

5. paulgude
    Posted May 21, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

This is the one I mentioned about finding and not even bothering to bring over, given the reception the others had gotten. It didn't seem like it'd be a nice thing to do.

Especially now that the role has been cast.

6. Kevin
    Posted May 22, 2010 at 12:00 am | Permalink

I always imagined Hodor talking like Timmy from South Park. There's one episode where Timmy "talks" to his friend about steroid abuse. He says Timmy a hundred different ways. That's how I see Hodor.

Here's a sample. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiZ4C3k0Z4U&fe

7. YoungDragon
    Posted May 22, 2010 at 12:13 am | Permalink

Completely off topic but……New Dany found! Martin posted on it on his Not a Blog.

8. paulgude
    Posted May 22, 2010 at 12:17 am | Permalink

They're discussing it in this thread:

Check it out!

Posted May 22, 2010 at 12:42 am | Permalink

HODOOOOOR!!!

Posted May 22, 2010 at 1:27 am | Permalink

Hodor?

11. Rapunzara
    Posted May 22, 2010 at 1:36 am | Permalink

Curious…has anyone listened to the audio books for the series? I found the narrator does an excellent job with many of the voices…including Hodor. (which kind of spoils me when it comes to listening to anyone else audition…heh)

12. stevelabny
    Posted May 22, 2010 at 2:27 am | Permalink

Yikes.

This video is so unprofessionally done, I have a hard time believing it was anything more than a "I'm unknown, but I'm big, can I be Hodor" request from a a fan.

Why would you shoot this in a tiny yard with no room for him to move? His failing at his "feat of strength" was a joke. I'm glad the other dude can't life the table, but if you want to show off your strength, you should maybe try to lift the object in question BEFORE you start filming.

I didn't like the way he was looking up at Bran's signals. Hodor has limited speech and capability, but he isn't deaf. When responding to Hodor-calls, the camera was never in the right spot, and he always had a stupid smile.

The challenge with Hodor is that he DOES have a range of emotion, and this "audition" doesn't show frightened Hodor or worried Hodor or anything other than "horse" Hodor. Which is exactly what Hodor SHOULDN'T be.

13. Phoenix_torn
    Posted May 22, 2010 at 2:31 am | Permalink

lol yeah I found this at the beginning of the week too, but didn't think it was worth it.

14. Scott
    Posted May 22, 2010 at 5:05 am | Permalink

Hodor.

15. Gene4244
    Posted May 22, 2010 at 6:10 am | Permalink

I would still like to see
    Neil Fingleton 7ft 7.5ins, Britain's tallest man http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1233143/B

Posted May 22, 2010 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Well, physically, he fits …

17. paulgude
    Posted May 22, 2010 at 6:40 am | Permalink

Nice to see that he's getting some stage experience. I'd hope they'd at least give him a shot at Hodor.

18. Caedes
    Posted May 22, 2010 at 10:06 am | Permalink

I don't like him being so tall. I know it's weird, but for me Hodor's height is not as important as GREGOR's. Sure, Hodor's hot to be a large, bulky, strong man, but this guy is just towering. It might be distracting of the other sides of the character.

I'll say let the real extreme height fo The Mountain that Rides.

19. paulgude
    Posted May 22, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

My one issue is that while Neil is tall, he looks much more "average" than Kristian Nairn. Kristian looks like a big guy to me, with broad features that carry over. If I just saw Neil in a head-and-shoulders shot with no other person to gauge size, I'd have no idea he was that tall.

20. Coltaine777
    Posted May 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

God …I love you gals and girls…am I the only one who thinks the casting of Hodor isn’t a big deal lol ?

21. dizzy34
    Posted May 22, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

I pictured Hodor as a bit more graceful than that. Not saying this guy can't "be" that. Just my impression of the character.

22. Chris
    Posted May 22, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

hah I kind of have to agree. It would be funny though if they found some esteemed and highly trained stage actor who could bring out all the nuance of their one repeated line… "HODOR!"

23. Snowfell
    Posted May 22, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Besides his height, Hodor has to be strong – after all, he has to be able to carry Bran with ease, not only in the final product we will see (hurray!) but also in every take they might have to take and maybe sometimes in-between. Not every uncannily tall person is fitted for that.

And besides on another practical side, farther above the ground Bran-actor is sailing the bigger the risks are getting. We don't want him to fall (again)… So I don't think the tallest person available is the best option, we have to take in account other aspects.*

* including ability to act, obviously

24. JustStacy
    Posted May 22, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

I've only listened to the audio books – I'm overseas and can't get my hands on English books so easily. I absolutely love the way Roy Dotrice narrates – especially Hodor! I'm only up to the middle of Book 3, but so far, this series is amazing and totally addicting! I can't wait to get my hands on the books and actually READ it through!

Posted May 23, 2010 at 12:02 am | Permalink

This guys not bad, but not great. He might be better with the help of a director.

Nice to see a Hodor audition, though!

26. Libelle
    Posted May 23, 2010 at 3:30 am | Permalink

I like him very much. I can very well see him as the dumb, but friendly ‘giant’. :-)

By the way, what is all that talk bout Hodor’s actor to be the (best) expierienced stage actor? Hodor IS dumb. What doesn’t mean he has no feelings. He sometimes seems to have a sixths sense. But his feelings feel kind of rare…or obvious. No need of sublte acting.
    You must be kidding, right? I’m just too stupid not to find the irony in your posts, right? right? (Seems like we all feel like experts on these castings videos…)

27. Snowfell
    Posted May 23, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

I don't think Hodor's actor has to be much trained in acting (luckily, for there wouldn't be that great pool of fitting Olivier-winning giants), but it is still unfortunate that Nairn didn't even try to act any but one emotion during that tape. If it doesn't ask for award-winning acting, it anyway requires somewhat emotive face and a spectrum of different sounding "hodors". There's really no point in just turning around time after time when someone shouts his name… The joke gets old pretty quickly.

On the other hand as Nairn didn't try, he didn't exactly fail either. So depending on how many people have tried out for Hodor, Nairn may get a new chance to show his qualities. If there were many, someone's bound to be better prepared and thus be picked without another round.

28. paulgude
    Posted May 23, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

I'd say that was more of an issue with the off-camera guy "running" the show, and like you said, if they like what they see they can always give him more stuff to work with when he comes in. Like the old joke:

"Okay, so you're hungry and someone asks if anyone wants some food. You say…"

"Hodor!"

"Okay, now it's dark and Bran is looking for you, but you can't see him. You say?"

"HODOR!!!"

"You think someone made a good point."

"Hodor."

"You uncover a plot to assassinate a prominent noblewoman, but you're conflicted because you think her death could actually save innocent lives."

"Hodor?"

"Hmmm…try again. Maybe a little more 'Hodor,' and a little less, 'Hodor' this time."

29. Marga
    Posted May 23, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

lol
    Good joke!

30. world_dancer
    Posted May 24, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

This is what I was just thinking, though a bit more seriously. I like the last prompt :)

But along the lines of "Inquisitive"

"Hodor?"

"Sad"

"Hodor"

"Confused"

"Hodor"

Excited

"HODOR!!!"

Comforting

"Hodor."

The part can easily go to someone whose memory isn't the best, but they do need vocal control.

31. theflyingcamel
    Posted May 25, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Isn't Hodor supposed to be powerfully built? That guy looks like 300 lbs of chewed bubble gum. I hate this guy as Hodor.

32. paulgude
    Posted May 27, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

I always thought of Hodor as being big, but not "cut" at all, so he didn't bug me that much on that score.

33. paulgude
    Posted May 28, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

More on Ian Whyte:

He's 7'1" and has a lot of film experience:

Plus, he follows both Winter Is Coming and Westeros on Twitter:

His twitter description?

"Enormous, cuddly giant guy, capers about in movies."

Perfect.

If they can get him, I think he'd be awesome.

34. paulgude
    Posted June 23, 2010 at 3:21 am | Permalink

Of course, now it's all but official that Kristian Nairn is Hodor.

I'm really surprised, but happy at this. I didn't have a problem with him, but it really seemed like an "outsider" tape when I saw his audition. It wasn't some polished tape, just a guy who wanted to play Hodor and gave it a shot.

Then he got the part.

I'm glad I live in a world where something like that can happen.
    I'm glad I live

35. Sinnfrei
    Posted June 23, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Video is not working. Please re-upload somewhere else.

36. Ashlee Hodor
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 1:57 am | Permalink

My name is Hodor…. It’s the most awesome last name EVER!!! I love being named Hodor!!!

1. [...] as it seems Kristian Nairn has been cast as Hodor. I find it hilariously awesome that one of the audition videos that leaked out turned out to be for the actor eventually cast. Based on the video, I’d say [...]

2. [...] clues weren’t that difficult, being that we’d already been introduced to Kristian here when he’d tried out for the part, but here they are, with [...]

3. [...] had leaked audition tapes in the past (including from someone who actually went on to become cast in the show), but this one is noteworthy because it confirms the existence of a character that has heretofore [...]