Stevens talks about prepping for Gregor
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming.

Conan Stevens has a great blog post that talks a bit about his experience so far on Game of Thrones. He talks about his diet and training regimen, meeting Jason Momoa and Rory McCann and lastly talks about his costume fitting and fight choreography. Below is an excerpt:

Yesterday I went in for an armour fitting, this is my first time to see the armour and the costume guys had it set up on a clothes rack so that when I walked into the trailer is was in my face. Awesome. Trying it on I have to say that the costumers know what they are doing and have designed the outfit to suit Gregor Clegane and to make him (me) look terribly intimidating. I thanked the costume guys for doing me such a big favour and getting the “cut” right and using a couple of visual tricks to make me look more intimidating. It really is good working with true professionals who take obvious pride in their good workmanship. And Itell you what having armour made for you is a heck of a lot easier than sewing, stitching, cutting, riveting your own armour (as I did in the Society for Creative Anachronisms).

Winter Is Coming: Be sure to click through and read the whole thing, it is a great read. So cool to get a glimpse of the process that will turn Stevens into GREGOR. Sounds like a lot of hard work, but also a lot of fun. Can’t wait to see the end result!

1. gofalcons
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Sounds like he’s really enjoying working on big-time production. I hope the series goes the distance so that he can count on a full 4+ years of steady work. He certainly has paid his dues and deserves everything this show can do for him.

2. Zark
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Pics or it didn’t happen!

3. Vohdre
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Once again a big thank you to Conan Stevens for communicating with the fans and giving us a bit of a behind the scenes look at what it’s like working on the production.

That being said, thinking about The Mountain meeting The Hound and the Horselord.

4. silverjaime
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

He sounds so sweet! It’s really good of him to share like this. I’m glad he likes my fellow-Belfast -peeps. I’m just thinking of him sitting in his hotel room eating pot-noodle and tuna heated in his borrowed microwave! And trying on his new shoes!
    Do they work at weekends usually does anyone know? or do they stick to a mon-fri schedule?

Posted August 6, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Such a great read! Conan Stevens is hilarious. I’m really gonna have a tough time hating him, as the Mountain! :)

I loved the part when Momoa said “You’re Clegane, Rory’s brother.”

6. Sim
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

The Mountain that Blogs

7. sjwenings
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

No, no! You want some awesome? Conan calling Momoa…

“Today at the gym near the hotel there was a rather tall guy who was fairly well built”

Ohh… yeeaah” Lol!

8. jojo.ziggy
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

I think it’s great that he continues to blog, and it sounds awesome to be there holy crap! I am also glad to see that the professionalism of his writing has increased a ton. :) Unlike previous posts, no typos that I saw, and he seems to be holding back when appropriate. Good job! :)

9. sjwenings
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

No, but really! This is quite historic! The Clegane brothers meeting up for the first time and all!

10. humusTaster
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Thanks for keeping us posted Connan.

Posted August 6, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

The article should have been called “Conan Meets Conan”…

12. Coltaine777
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

That was a great read…Conan you kick ass

13. Brienne
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Wow, that’s interesting that he had auditioned for Drogo, I had always assumed he had tried out for the Hound. I loved the feel this article gave you, thanks partly to Stevens’s writing- I hope he does finish that book, but I wonder now if he’ll find the time; with the respect for the quality and scope of the production. It also makes me wish I was there – apparently you can’t walk down the street w/o running into somebody from GOT! Just another notch on my anticipation level.

Posted August 6, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Brienne,

In a smart strategic move, Conan auditioned for the part of Drogo knowing that he was probably not a fit, but hoping to get noticed for the role of Gregor.

15. Pierce VanderBent
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Sim,

I lol’d

16. Danielle Parlatore Daly
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Sim,

I lol’d too.

17. George
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

So Sean Bean is getting divorced from his fourth wife… Wonder if this will affect the production or his performance at all.

18. George
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

href=”http://aceshowbiz.com/news/view/w0005300.html” target=”_blank”>

19. SteveThePirate2
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Awesomely detailed blog entry. I thought maybe he wouldn’t be able to share anything from production now, so this is good news.

lol@the Mountain that Blogs

20. Grimtuesday
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Man why does one of the coolest people in the cast have to be playing the biggest sociopath in the books.

I laughed at the mountain that blogs and then I saw Lex stole my comment :). That was the first thing I thought when I read the article before I read the comments down here. except I was gonna say, Conan meets Conan and baby bro.

21. Knurk
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

George,

Gheh, if you’re divorcing a wife for the 4th time I don’t think you’ll be too bothered, just another walk in the park. Not that I’m talking out of experience. He looks quite cheerful on the picture with Addy on the Twitters though, so if he can pull that of he’ll also be able to do it for the HBO cameras.

22. humusTaster
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

Pics? what pics?

23. About Yea High
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

That dude’s life is unique. I’d read that book.

Me: Is that what they call it here?

Still, that turn-down service was awesome!

24. Damyrn of Dorne
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

I like this guy, seems down to earth and positive.

25. Sarita
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Interesting blog post. How cool to run into so many people from Game of Thrones! I thought the info on his diet and “living like a University student” and getting excited about a microwave oven was funny. He seems very charming; too bad he’s playing such a frightening character.

26. Avalanche3319
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Great read. Thanks Conan!

Posted August 6, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

About Yea High,

Yeah, the bit about turning down the “turn down” was hilarious. I could just picture Conan in his room, speaking through the door, and thinking “WTF is turn down service?” before replying “Uh, no thanks.” :D

28. Erin Kelley
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

I think Conan is my new favorite actor. :D

How awesome a post that was, sharing with us fans. I love his enthusiasm for what he does and sincerely hope this series launches his career and makes him famous in the U.S. He deserves it!

Posted August 6, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

I like his attitude as well. I loved the part about turning negative thinking (e.g. “What if I can’t learn how to ride the horse by next week?”) into positive thinking (e.g. “By next week I’ll be able to list horseback riding to my list of skills”).

30. FTWard
    Posted August 7, 2010 at 1:11 am | Permalink
  31. The Rabbit
    Posted August 7, 2010 at 3:35 am | Permalink

About Yea High: Stevens is great. I think, after all’s said and done and he’s climbed as many ladders as he wants to climb, he’ll finally be able to kick back and pen his memoirs. If he doesn’t pen them in-between jobs that is.That dude’s life is unique. I’d read that book.The part that made me laugh hardest was the “turn down” service. I’ll never forget being like 19 years old and in the USAF, in my first fancy hotel, and then maid comes in and asks if I want “turn down service.”I swear to god I thought she was offering a completely different kind of service.Me: Is that what they call it here?Then I realized she was A. about 60 years old and B. only trying to be helpful in a legal way.Still, that turn-down service was awesome!  Quote  Reply

I can easily imagine you asking that question :D

32. Rimshot
    Posted August 7, 2010 at 3:52 am | Permalink

What a great post! I was out in Belfast yesterday and I found myself rehearsing what I would say if I met anyone from GOT! I know the ‘Big and Tall’ shop that Conan is talking about. It is just down a bit from city hall. If his hotel is near it he is probably staying in Jurys. I hope I have a chance to meet him on or off set.

33. About Yea High
    Posted August 7, 2010 at 4:54 am | Permalink

Rimshot: I think he’d be hard to miss! Actually, this production has a pretty large number of big ‘uns. Just keep your eye open for anyone over 6′ 3″.

Rabbit: Yeah, I eskfdgh—what?! Hey…

34. silverjaime
    Posted August 7, 2010 at 6:02 am | Permalink

Rimshot,

Yep – I was thinking Jury’s or the Europa. Based on that – where’s the gym where the two Conans met up? And the “training centre”? I can’t place them – except Centaur I think is in Arthur St.
    And for him ot say Momoa was ‘quite tall’ – the guy’s about 6’6″, shows how tall Conan is as well. Hope he keeps writing.

35. Rimshot
    Posted August 7, 2010 at 6:54 am | Permalink

Yes, the Europa is another possibility. Jurys is just across the street from Big and Tall. But, come to think of it, I can’t see Jurys having a turn down service ( which is a stupid thing anyway).

By the way, I’ve dipped my toes into Twitter lake so I can send any interesting updates. Too be honest, I still haven’t got my head around how it works! Anyway, I’m DocFourFour on twitter (same as my YouTube account) so feel free to follow and I’ll do likewise. I may attempt a few tweets from the set but they will not breach my contract (I want to keep working!)

36. The Rabbit
    Posted August 7, 2010 at 7:02 am | Permalink

Rimshot,

Found you over there.
    Believe me, I still do not know every trick on Twitter. Just menaging somehow.

37. Tremere
    Posted August 7, 2010 at 8:07 am | Permalink

Big thumbs up for Conan for sharing this with us.
    Some parts of this story gave me more news then we were trying to skim of the internet.
    It’s dedicated people like Stevens that keep me very much optimistic about this project. If everyone in the series is only half as dedicated then the series is gonna rock

38. gofalcons
    Posted August 7, 2010 at 8:28 am | Permalink

Sim: The Mountain that Blogs

39. silverjaime
    Posted August 7, 2010 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Rimshot,

Yes – I’m still trying to work it out, cos nobody has replied to me yet. I’m silverjaime over there too.

40. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted August 7, 2010 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Glad to see Conan keeping in touch with the fans! If he likes his Gregor armor, just wait till he see the Ungregor siut! I wonder if they will still use him at that point?

41. The Rabbit
    Posted August 7, 2010 at 11:01 am | Permalink

silverjaime,

I just left you a note on Twitter. ;)

42. Aoede
    Posted August 7, 2010 at 11:27 am | Permalink

>every teenage boys dream

Doubtless there are male Playboy models who simply get overlooked because of the heteromale gaze.

43. Jéssica de F. Maciel
    Posted August 8, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

silverjaime,

well i will add you there, but to see my responding you have to add me too =]

44. Michele Toscan
    Posted August 17, 2010 at 8:02 am | Permalink

I am just curious if they will somehow make him taller. The man described in the books is 10 inches taller than Conan, anyway. The guy is large, but by no means the freak that’s described in the books. I guess the armor will make up for the lack of bulk, but will they use CGI to make him taller?

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Nimble Books LLC, Winter Is Coming. Winter Is Coming said: Blog post: Stevens talks about prepping for Gregor http://bit.ly/bjp8MD #GameofThrones [...]