Reactions to the new promo material
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

Reactions to the new Game of Thrones promo material released Sunday night are slowly starting to pop up around the web. Here is a collection of some of the more noteworthy impressions:

Cannot. Wait. I won’t bother parsing the bits of footage frame-by-frame (Winter Is Coming is one fan blog that does a good job of that; also westeros.org), but overall I’m very encouraged by the visuals, which have the dirty look that Geroge R. R. Martin’s books convey.
James Poniewozik – Time Magazine

I don’t know about you but the glimpses I saw Sunday got me even more excited about the show, which I wrote about extensively in my previous job. … So far I’m in agreement with Martin himself, who said in the behind-the-scenes video that the people producing the show “got it right.”
Maureen Ryan – AOL TV Squad

Cast and crew are hard at work on the 2011 HBO series Game of Thrones, based on the George R. R. Martin fantasy saga A Song of Ice and Fire. I have not read this addictive series yet, and frankly, the synopsis on the back cover of the first book is mildly overwhelming. But I’m intrigued.
Mandi Bierly – Entertainment Weekly’s PopWatch

If you watched the True Blood finale last night on HBO then you know that the best part about it was definitely…the new behind-the-scenes footage of the upcoming Game of Thrones series.
Matt Fowler – IGN TV

Winter Is Coming: It’s great to see the press continuing to remain optimistic about the series. It not only makes for some fun reading (be sure to click through and read the full articles on these, some of them talk quite a bit about the show), but it helps increase the awareness of the series to potential new viewers.

Also I wanted to take the chance to add my own thoughts on all the new material, as things have been so hectic I haven’t had the chance to really do so yet.

My first feeling was of an information overload. We had waited so long to see even a glimpse of a character (other than Ned) in costume that getting bombarded with dozens of them at once was hard to process. As it started to sink in though, I began to feel… underwhelmed by what I was seeing. I liked the gritty look, yeah, but I thought the show would mix that with a little more visual flair. A little more pop.

That was my feeling… until I saw the shots of Ned with Ice in HBO’s Fall/Winter preview. Those few seconds were enough for me to be completely sold on how awesome this show is going to be. The behind-the-scenes stuff is just that behind-the-scenes. Once we get the full brunt of HBO’s tech wizards doing their thing on the footage, it will be a sight to behold. I can’t wait!

1. eilwen
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

I agree with you. Was a bit disapointed at first by the quality of the image in the two first video, (depth of field, colors etc) but the one with Sean Bean … Wonderful.

2. Vohdre
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I love the amount of geeks in the media. If only to continuously have “famous people” agree with me.

3. mrsachmo
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

I’m excited as well, and enjoyed the trailers. I also have faith in HBO, as they have the mini-series down to a tee. However, I’m going to tap the break a bit before i let my excitement overwhelm my critical eye.

Posted September 14, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Awesome! I love how that reporter says the new GOT footage was the best part of the True Blood finale, LOL.

The third article is well worth a read. The title is great: “HBO’s Game of Thrones: Five reasons I’m psyched for it, even though I have no clue what it’s about.” :)

5. durandal
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Just had a thought about the Kingsguard costumes. I wasn’t happy with them because of the oriental/samourai look they have going. Now I think it’s because they wanted them to look that way as a reference to the old Valyria. Didn’t the Targaryans introduce the kingsguard in Westeros?

6. HerrFick
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

I believe we should withhold judgement on many of the previously discussed ‘issues’ that can (and most likely will) be subject of lighting and especially post-production:
    The colouring of costumes, the look of the kingsguard’s golden-and-white armour (preferably with white cloaks), the Targaryen hair and eyes, and many other visual properties could make a very different impression when all stages of production are finished.
    And (in my opinion at least) most of the previews’ material exempt from technical alterations, just looks amazing and seems to capture the novels’ atmosphere.

7. The Rabbit
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

I strongly agree on one thing. There were too much informations, even too much for one day.
    I am starting to notice more and more details, which I like..no, the likness is not the correct word because I am astonished of the effort they put in those details. (The stuff like ring on Harry Lloyd s hand, LFs mockingbird, the tapestry, the hand on the chair…and probably much more I have not noticed by now)

I have not been down with the look of behind-the-scenes footage (maybe the reaction was positive because I saw the HBO preview with the beheading scene first, along with Dany s still).

There are, of course, things I do not like so much, but I am pretty reluctant to talk about because I know it is not the final result, I ll be seeing in six months or so.
    I am not so fascinated by Samurai-looking Lannisters or perhaps with the look of the Kingsgurads, but on the other hand, I just watched closely Ser Hugh s armour, and I think its fantastic!
    Very positevly surprised with Michelle Fairley as Cat – she looks almost the Cat from my head. The same goes for Mark Addy.
    Also Sophie Turner s look, her hair and her dress are astonishing.
    I did not expect any hoolywood glamour in it, neither the rich coustumes Tudors-style. It is GRRMs world, grey and dark. And I think, that David & Dan are going into the right direction.
    Hopefuly, the same would happen with script, because that would be the key moment of the success not the Cersei s hairstyle.

8. dizzy_34
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

I posted this with the videos but I think it has more relavence here. Sorry for the double post.

Thought I’d share an outsider perspective on these videos, my wife (I know, I know … but Winter’s done it before so I’m following my leader) . Fantasy is not her thing and the only thing she knows about these books are my obsession with them. Her over all impression was one of intrigue because the two things that stuck out to her were Sean Bean saying he’s never seen anything like this and the phrase ‘Winter is Coming’. Her questions to me were: How can he say he’s never seen anything like this when he’s been in Lord of the Rings? And: What is ‘Winter is Coming’ a title of one of the books? I told her that it’s really not like LOTR and she’ll have to watch the show to find out what ‘Winter is Coming’ means. I thought it was neat to see that if they could get my wife interested they’ve done their job.

9. Clanglee
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

You know. . . I actually enjoyed the dark washed out look of some of the scenes. I wouldn’t want that all the time!! But it is an effective technique for flashback shots and maybe some of the emotionally darker scenes.

10. Clanglee
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Oh and the shots of Peter Dinklage as Tyrion were SPOT ON!! Loving that!!

11. byryn
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

I’ve been shouting, “WINTER IS COMING, BITCHES!!!!” at my friends for months now. I should get a T-shirt made…

Posted September 14, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

I fully subscribe to Winter’s opinion, because I went through these same stages (as evident also from my Monday comments).

Not only the visuals are going to be polished, even aspects of the design may change! Much of the footage, especially the making-of, was from the pilot – and they have reconsidered a couple of things since those early days, we have heard.

So here I am, eagerly waiting for more, not to mention the end result itself :)

13. Dahn
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

I had the same sort of experience as WiC. All these weeks we got no visuals and then an enormous amount of fast-edited short shots. Information overload. My mind was blown and I realised it was not because how great it all looked, but more because I couldn’t handle the sheer amount. I watched it once again and then went on to the Raven trailer which really gave me goosebumps. By the time I saw the Fall/Winter preview I was extremely excited (I love the antlers, great choice). Then I read all the reactions and I couldn’t believe all the criticism. A lot of people seemed to forget that they were looking at behind the scene shots. Some of the discussions got really ridiculous fast (still a funny read).

I have not even a tiny bit of doubt that GOT will be AWESOME.

14. Dahn
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Oh, and I also love the Making GOT website. I hope this will give us a steady stream of info and visuals to obsess over.

15. Chris
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

I personally loved everything I saw, and seeing the clips in the HBO montage in full color erased any doubts I had about it how it will look.

I remember watching the Pillars of the Earth behind the scenes Making Of video and thinking it looked kind of cheap and “set-y”, which is understandable for a Making Of. But I really don’t think the show itself was THAT big of an improvement. It just lacked something that I could not really put my finger on.

Then I shortly after watched HBO’s Rome, and it’s hard to put to words, but HBO just seems to have a knack for really bringing the environments and the sets to life. I don’t even remember all of Rome’s storyline because I spent the whole time amazed at all the details and at how much it looked like a real, living, breathing city. This is something you don’t get when you watch shows like Xena, or Legends of the Seeker or even shows like The Tudors or Pillars of the Earth, and I think its one of the thing that sets HBO apart from everything else.

Like someone said above, look at all the details like the sigils(even the minor ones) and the banners and Littlefinger’s mockingbird pendant and the hand on the chair and all the different hair colors and house colors, etc etc etc. There is so many little details in just the 2 minutes of footage we’ve seen, and these are all details that could have been missed or left out. While there is some questionable things as well, on the whole I got the impression that they are REALLY doing everything they can to bring Westeros to life in the right way. I’m not worried at all.

16. Jackie MacPherson
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Like others have said I was initially overwhelmed with so much to see!

I was surprised by the fantasy elements of the Kingsguard armour and realised it reminded me of elments of LotR. I was plesantly surprised that HBO haven’t shied away from the fantasy element. I’d always expected them to avoid it and play it down. The quotes from TPTB seemed to suggest that.

However thinking on how they’ve been marketing it so far, they’ve not really stepped back from it at all. In fact you could argue they’ve avoided using names from other shows that might ‘taint’ the image they want for their own. E.g. they’ve used Bean, very well known for LotR, considered ‘good’ fantasy. They’ve now got an image of Dany, a very striking look and certainly not ‘normal’. So far they’ve not really pushed Headey (Terminator and 300) or Mamoa (SG-Atlantis and Conan links). I would imagine they are backing away with any association to the Conan film. Perhaps harsh of me to say.

The earthy qualities of what was in the trailer also reminded me of Deadwood. I’m happy to see that the blue/greys and reds that I saw at Doune do in fact come up well on camera. I think the house colours are very effective. Others have mentioned the lack of refinement in the costumes and sets but that adds an element of realism to the show IMO.

Anyway that’s some ramblings from my first impressions of the footage.

17. sean
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Chris,

If you watch any of the behind the sceans stuff of Rome it looked sety as well. Its all about how you shoot it. And everything on Starz looks cheep compared to HBO.

18. Chris
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Jackie MacPherson,

Agree with everything you said. And I get the feeling that HBO is going to embrace the fact that its fantasy, but from the angle that it is HBO’s version of fantasy and you have never seen anything like it. I think thats the total right way to go and will even entice a lot of people who think fantasy is lame.

19. Grinbomb
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34,

I’m glad to hear that even people who haven’t read they books had their interests perked by the trailer/behind the scenes. I’m thrilled that we’re getting at least 10 episodes, but if we want future seasons a wider group of people is going to have to become interested in GOT. And I’d fucking love for us to get 7 or so seasons :D

20. Two Feathers
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Thank goodness everyone has calmed down a bit. What a brain rush ! I loved all the new footage. I know you can`t please everyone , but please just have patience and faith.GRRM is happy with the production so far and I think that speaks volumes. HBO will work their magic in good time. I just got another call today, working three more days on set next week! Not sure where or what as yet but hoping I might be taking the Black.

21. Crystal Sky
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Well, having watched the footage the n-th time, I have come to terms with many of my previous grievances. I understood where the design is going – a darker, grittier and dirtier look than I expected – and now I’m more accepting of it. I came to think they are really trying to undermine our Hollywood-shaped perceptions of the Middle Ages (you know, pretty damsels and shiny knights). They may even try to provide a stark contrast to the Camelot series, which I bet will involve squeaky clean and pretty knights and ladies. The more I think about it the more I fall behind HBO’s stance – it is intriguing and unexpected. Let’s face it, most of us are so unconsciously used to the Hollywood-y medieval that we projected those images when reading the books and now we have a hard time shaking those off. I admit to that fault.

The only problem I still have is the Japanese thing of the Lannisters. That I cannot find an explanation for as much as I rack my brain on it. That is why I’m going to ask if we are certain those are the Lannisters. Is there no hope we might be wrong and that armour might belong to others across the narrow sea – or at most to the Targaryens, which at least we know to come from the east? The Samurai armour does not even remotely approach Ser Gregor Clegane’s, so the whole idea seems strange and random.

BTW, I think people’s mention of LOTR is warranted – it seems there is a bit of an influence there which no doubt is intentional (LOTR was a big success so why not attract those fans). I was laughing when I read on Empire Online that Cersei has donned Eowyn’s wig. I didn’t think about it the first time but it’s true.

22. Melanie Bui
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Completely random: Emilia Clarke reminds me of the childlike empress from the neverending story. Love it.

23. Swiss
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

From my browsing around the Internet it seems as if a lot of people not familiar with the books have been interested in the footage and I guess that was a large part of the point. Good job HBO!

24. fafhrd
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Right right. Not the Tudors ergo a gulag jacket with some foil on the front is perfectly in keeping with the high middle ages tone of the series. Oh, and that wig was in frame with a styrofoam cup, so it’s clearly a ‘resting’ wig. No worries.

25. Knurk
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Crystal Sky,

Pretty certain, Rimshot (who is an extra on the show) confirmed they were Lannister-men. I’m waiting for the show to air so I can see how those armors are going to work out, but it’s definately not something I would have come up with…

26. Jenny
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Boohooo!!!
    IT’S NOT OUR BABY ANYMORE!!!!!

they grow so fast.

27. Jarred Melancon
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

I also was pretty underwhelmed until I saw Ned with Ice. It looked something like out of a Highlander movie. The art direction they’re going with the show is vastly different than how I imagined. I always pictured something closer to LOTR in regards to dresses and style while they are going for a Dark Ages feel.

28. Sareeta Kamath
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

I really feel like the behind-the-scenes video was made for pre-existing fans, because they crammed it full of goodies (shots of nearly every main character, interviews) more than to attract new viewers. I definitely get the feeling they want to make it right for us fans.

I think if I had never heard of Game of Thrones and I saw that trailer I’d be a little confused…and shows like Rome or Deadwood would come to mind. Then came the Raven trailer, which I feel did a great job of briefly showing what we can expect from this show. I didn’t mind the coloring of the video and absolutely loved the Raven graphics.

Lastly, the clip of Sean Bean in the 2010-2011 preview was so cool. First of all, that whole video was well made from the transition graphics, song choice, and the emotional clips. The scene they chose for the clip was perfect. It really looked like a high quality HBO show that we’ve come to expect from this network. Fans immediately recognized the scene, and I imagine newcomers getting excited to find out what that was all about.

So all in all I’m pleased. I’m hoping as filming wraps up we’ll get a polished trailer, as they’ve done for Boardwalk Empire, that is a little bit longer and where we can see the characters for more than a tenth of a second. While I’m no fan of hiding the fantasy elements, I hope they find a way to showcase the story and characters more in the future, because they will reach a bigger audience that way.

29. paulgude
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Sareeta Kamath: While I’m no fan of hiding the fantasy elements, I hope they find a way to showcase the story and characters more in the future, because they will reach a bigger audience that way.

As things ramp up we’ll be seeing much more about the story and characters. These brief glimpses serve to both whet the appetite and foster a sense of familiarity when the larger trailers emerge:

“Oh, right! This is that show with the swords. I was wondering what that was all about.”

30. mcguffin1899
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Sareeta Kamath,

I bet the longer trailer will end with Cercei saying: “When you play the game of thrones, you either win or die.”

And then non-fans will go: “Ahh, now I get what that title means.”

31. Chris
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 12:17 am | Permalink

Something randomly cool…

Posted September 15, 2010 at 12:32 am | Permalink

Chris: Something randomly cool…If you go to HBO’s YouTube page, the view counts of the two new GoT videos absolutely trounce everything else, ESPECIALLY the other videos released on Sunday.

Wow, good point. It’s only been 48 hours, and the Raven teaser already has 80,000+ views. The behind-the-scenes featurette has nearly 40,000.

The rest of Sunday’s videos only have between 300-2,000 views (Boardwalk Empire being around 2,000).

I’m sure HBO has noticed this! :)

33. Kanga
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 1:24 am | Permalink

byryn: I’ve been shouting, “WINTER IS COMING, BITCHES!!!!” at my friends for months now.I should get a T-shirt made…

If there were a like button on that comment, I would definitely click it :)

34. Kanga
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 2:04 am | Permalink

A few thoughts that stuck out most when I watched all this stuff:
    - Ser Hugh of the Vale, holywow his armor looks epic.
    - The Mountain also epic, but looks like when we actually see him moving and interacting with others he’ll be one _creepy_ man. (aka he’ll be perfect.)
    - Samurai armor, I dunno. I have no idea if they’re Lannisters or gold cloaks or what have you, but I think they’re kind of interesting.
    - If anything bothered me it was Cersei’s hair, but I don’t think for quite the same reasons as some of you. It’s just that she is totally sporting Eowyn’s ‘do in the Raven trailer. The reason that bothers me a tiny bit is because it looks nice, but not amazing, and Cersei is such a reputed beauty, I was kind of expecting her to look more ravishing. If that makes sense. Just to be clear, that’s not a slight on Lena Headey’s looks. It’s just that for having such an inherently beautiful actress to work with, they sure made her look more plain than they could have. But regardless of all that, I’m not complaining, and I will wait ’til I see the finished product before I judge :)
    - Did not recognize Jon Snow. Scruffy! Hehe.
    - Perhaps most importantly, the behind the scenes trailer. Boromir from LOTR telling you he’s never seen anything like this before is, imo, kind of huge. If people are paying attention, and actually think about that for a second, that’s a big statement. That more than anything else should tell you that this show is worth a second look.
    - *squee!* Dany! We got to see Dany! :D (for the record, i think her eyebrows are fine :P)

- did I mention I’m excited?? It didn’t really sink in that they’re _actually_ doing this until I saw those trailers. CAN’T. WAIT.

Posted September 15, 2010 at 2:22 am | Permalink

36. Steven Scott
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 3:10 am | Permalink

Watching Sons of Anarchy right now. Our Old Bear James Cosmo has a big part this season.

37. silverjaime
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 3:16 am | Permalink

Having watched the clips again a number of times I think I’m more used to the dirty/washed out look of the costumes now. Still think the sets look awesome (where was that scene in the small chamber at Kings Landing shot? would it have been inside at Paint Hall?)
    Like you all say – it’s hard to remember it’s behind-the -scenes footage – I was expecting it to be finished product. The actual finished product, with Ned and Ice, was brilliant.
    The armour I’m a bit confused about, both design and colour-wise, as GRRM went into so much descriptive detail in the books that I had such a picture of it in my head. But maybe Jaime’s armour will be lighter in the finished film. Apart from Dany – who is at the same time much older and more beautiful than I imagined – all the rest of the actors were as I imagined they would be! Apart from Cersei’s hair, which I’m sure will change from scene to scene – I mean we’ve already seen two ‘do’s’ in that short clip – and Littlefinger’s pointed beard – which may just not be in shot.
    I think this will definitly pique the interest of non-ASOIAF readers which is what HBO is going for. As for Bean – I could listen to that man talk forever! I love his voice!

38. Meg
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 3:26 am | Permalink

WiC – Alan Sepinwall, prominent TV blogger and friend of Maureen Ryan and James Poniewozik, also has thoughts on his blog about the new material http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/whos-in-the-mood-for-some-game-of-thrones

39. HerrFick
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 3:27 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar: Regarding the samurai influence: it was mentioned as a “little bird” rumour on Westeros forums [...] that this was an initial idea used in the pilot, scrapped or toned down later. I hope this holds true.

That’s possible, but I don’t believe that they would include material (showing costumes or actors or whatever) in the preview that has been cut from the series already. Maybe the producers abandoned the idea of easter-looking Lannister swords (which were reported to look like katanas) but kept the armour design…
    In either case, it’s the only thing in the trailer that still bothers me. But only a little bit. ;)

Posted September 15, 2010 at 3:32 am | Permalink

One thing I’m disappointed in is the seeming absence of surcoats.

But despite seeing a few house banners and shields, I see no sign of surcoats (not on Ned, not on Robert, not on the Hound or the Mountain). :(

41. Jarred Melancon
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 3:33 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

It’s a bit WTFish but not that huge of a deal. What would have been cool as mentioned before would have been the King’s Guard as slightly samuraish in order to separate them from the rest of the knights. Amusingly enough it does fit the Lannisters but that is more of an inside joke and might be confusing to newcomers as it might lead to weird questions like “Are the Lannisters part Asian” or something along those lines.

Posted September 15, 2010 at 3:49 am | Permalink

HerrFick,

Well, I agree for the finished parts (i.e. the coming attractions snippets, and I’d say the trailer as well), but they could use all sorts of glimpses from the set that won’t make it to the show. We’ll see, as long as it’s not stretching it too much, I’m okay with it :) in general, I’m sure things will look just gorgeous on screen, but I hope them to be on the more realistic, rather than fantastic side. Either will be gritty, though ;)

We need to wait and see. Very interested in what bits the production diary can give us.

43. Avalanche3319
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 3:55 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar: Regarding the samurai influence: it was mentioned as a “little bird” rumour on Westeros forums (and someone brought it over here as well, but it got lost among the ton of comments) that this was an initial idea used in the pilot, scrapped or toned down later. I hope this holds true.  Quote  Reply

Rimshot told us these were Lannister guards. Wasn’t it just recently that he filmed a scene with them (long after the pilot)?

Posted September 15, 2010 at 4:03 am | Permalink

Right, makes sense, that’s absolutely true. Then maybe what Ran meant was they originally intended to go even more Eastern on the Lannisters before retracting?

Anyway, not such a big deal, but fun to speculate. Let’s wait for the end product :)

45. Avalanche3319
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 4:18 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Yeah I’m not going to make any judgements until we see the finished material. I already know there are going to be some things that don’t look the way I expect, but we can’t really complain. No matter how many little things we find to nit-pick over we need to remember HBO could have turned this project down. Then we wouldnt have this opportunity to nit-pick.

46. cactusrose
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 4:29 am | Permalink

O.K. I’m confused. How are they going to manage the continuity of Ned’s hair if Sean is wearing his own (albeit darkened) in the original scenes of the pilot and now seems to be sporting a wig which is much longer and of a different style? They don’t match!

47. Elio & Linda
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 4:57 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Yes, my understanding was that Asian armor and arms were going to be much more explicitly referenced.

As we’ve been arguing about a wee bit in the Westeros forums, other than maybe the helmet, the armor itself is pretty European — breastplate (horizontal bands/details aren’t unknown in Eastern European armor), spaulders, fauld. The use of color may also be a factor for those who read it as Asian (and samurai lacquered armor, specifically), but this _is_ a setting where people enamel, paint, or even use magical processes to color their steel.

But, the helmet… we’ll see on that one. It may be retained from the more Asiatic idea to begin with. The sword, I am happy to say, is not a katana OTOH. One of the earlir frames, one can see the disc pommel (with a lion’s head embosed on it!) with a “button” at the end, which is pure European.

The Lannister men-at-arms in that one shot may have slightly bent hilts, but the straight scabbards and size make them seem like they’re otherwise modelled after late 13th-early 14th c. European war swords.

48. sjwenings
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 5:10 am | Permalink

cactusrose,

Posted September 15, 2010 at 5:19 am | Permalink

Elio & Linda,

Hey, thanks for the detailed clarification! I have also read the armour discussion and I agree.
    Cheers.

50. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 5:44 am | Permalink

Nice to see that it’s getting some good comments in the press, thanks to some nice nerds in place. Luckily the ones that make it there aren’t of the nitpicking kind, as that’s the clearly most tiresome kind when it comes to dragged out experiences, like waiting for a series to finish shooting and finally premiere.

51. Crystal Sky
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 8:42 am | Permalink

52. Brad Shelton
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 9:41 am | Permalink

About Japanese-style Lannister armor..

Jarred Melancon: Amusingly enough it does fit the Lannisters but that is more of an inside joke and might be confusing to newcomers as it might lead to weird questions like “Are the Lannisters part Asian” or something along those lines.

How does it fit the Lannisters? What is the inside joke you’re referring to?

53. Rimshot
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Lex: One thing I’m disappointed in is the seeming absence of surcoats.All the noble knights should have bright and easily identifiable surcoats with their house symbol. It would make it easy for the viewer to tell the knights/soldiers apart (without having to resort to Asian-style armour for the Lannisters).But despite seeing a few house banners and shields, I see no sign of surcoats (not on Ned, not on Robert, not on the Hound or the Mountain).   Quote  Reply

Are surcoats the big blanket looking things that knights wear over their armour? If so, there were loads of them! Just not in any of the released shots. (and boy did those guys look hot in that gear!)

54. williamhperkins
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 9:56 am | Permalink

sjwenings,

I think the beheading bit we saw could be a combination of the shots from the pilot and the reshoots. If you look closely at Gared on the tree stump you can see that it is not Richard Ridings in the role, but Dermot Keaney.

Ridings has a pretty distinct look and is balding… the actor on the stump is clearly Keaney.

55. Rimshot
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Crystal Sky: Thanks y’all for the explanations. Well, I will continue to pray that this was a pilot thing and they have come to their senses and changed the Lannister costume (or at least the helments!). I know, I know, it’s probably futile to think so, but it irks me because I see no reason for it, other than some clueless executive coming up with the idea and everyone under him saying: ‘Gee boss that’s a great idea!’I can also see new fans of the series refer to the Lannisters as Japanese. ‘You know, the Japanese guys attacked Ned’s men!’ etc. Funny thing, the Lannisters are also blond and look nothing like Japanese, so it will be a very odd sight. I wonder if they will at least add some non-book mythology that the Lannisters came from the lands of the rising sun or something like that. As for the argument that the armour is European, come on! If you deconstruct the armour you can find European bits and pieces, but when you first glance at it, it screams Japanese, and that’s all that matters to viewers. Anyway, I’ll get over it, though I generally have a hard time getting over something I don’t understand…  Quote  Reply

Not from the pilot. This is from the Tourney. I was standing just a few feet from those guys in a few shots. BTW – you can’t see in the shots but the Baratheon guard helmets have wee gold antlers on them! I joked with one of the guards that they were for hanging car keys on!

Posted September 15, 2010 at 10:41 am | Permalink

williamhperkins,

I couldn’t see that well, but it’s definitely not Ridings.

Posted September 15, 2010 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Rimshot,

Thanks for dropping by again, Rim! :) Surcoats displaying the arms, too? nice if so.
    What about cloaks? they seem few and far between in the shots, not many seem to wear them, unlike in the books.
    White cloaks in particluar, hehe ;)

58. Vohdre
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 10:59 am | Permalink

I would buy one of those.

59. Jarred Melancon
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Brad Shelton,

That the Lannisters view themselves as very honor driven, “A Lannister always pays their debts” even though they are probably the most backstabbing and deceiving of all the houses.

60. fafhrd
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

In truth, the Lannister gold was expropriated from across the sea. The people of Asshai still have a saying that “Casterly Rock landed on us”.

61. cactusrose
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

sjwenings: cactusrose, The beheading-scene we saw was from the original pilot, but they’re probably gonna reshoot it along with the rest of the episode.  Quote  Reply

I thought only the scenes from the pilot involving the new actors were going to be re-shot? Seems expensive to have to re-shoot all of his scenes just because of his hair being different? They could have just had the wig match!

62. Todd L. Ross
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

seriously best part of the night was seeing ned swing ice.

63. seb332
    Posted September 19, 2010 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Today is the premier of Boardwalk Empire, does anybody know if there will be a presentation of future shows (including GoT of course ;)? We got some stuff at the TrueBlood season premier and at the final.

64. sjwenings
    Posted September 19, 2010 at 10:49 am | Permalink

cactusrose:
    I thought only the scenes from the pilot involving the new actors were going to be re-shot?Seems expensive to have to re-shoot all of his scenes just because of his hair being different?They could have just had the wig match!

A reshooting of the entire pilot, rather than parts of it, was and still is just a theory. But since they have to reshoot so much of it anyway because of the new actors and the children having visibly aged also. And with a new director who might have a slightly different vision, it seems like they might just reshoot the entire thing. And the different-looking wig seems to supports that.

65. Tysnow
    Posted September 21, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Where is the twice a week production posts we were promised from Bryan?
    Perhaps they were pissed off by the nitpicking from fans here and said to themselves we won’t post anymore if we are going to get non-constructive cristism from fans and their take on what things should look like.
    HBO bought the rights so they can put their spin on the production design.
    If they want the Kingsguard armor to be styled after old Valaryia thats there choice. If they want to spend more money and give each house their own distinct armor and color coding, instead of everyone wearing similar armor and house surcoats thats their business. Peter Jackson went thru this type of nitpicking with his take on LOTR and look how his vision turned out and the money and awards it garnered.

66. The Rabbit
    Posted September 21, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Tysnow,

You know, when you “play” with GRRMs materials you become like him.
    Promises, promises..and then nothing. :)

Just joking. :)

I do not think it is our nitpicking nature (they are used to it, I guess), I think they are just too much in daily work and they have not got time to post.
    Relax, we are used to wait.

67. Tysnow
    Posted September 21, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

LoL, you might just be right there, perhaps the GoT crew is catching the GRRM bug.