Day 68: Filming in Tollymore and Malta
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming, Rumors, Speculation.

Tollymore Set PhotoAnother day of filming for Game of Thrones is likely wrapping over in Northern Ireland, and maybe Malta as well, and some info about where they might be filming these days has surfaced.

First up, it sounds like filming for the prologue was recently completed at Tollymore Forest. WiC reader Martin recently encounter a snowy set while trekking through the forest and was able to snap the above pic with his cell. You’ll notice the set up looks very similar to the official still of the prologue from the pilot. Additionally, Martin reports that there appeared to be evidence of a lot of equine activity in the area, which further suggests this was for the prologue scene.

Secondly, it sounds like some of the filming in Malta will be located in the cities of Mdina and Valletta. This according to photographer Wolf Sunkmanitu’s blog, who reports stumbling on a set while shooting in the area. Based on some of the photos of the narrow alleys located in Mdina, I’m starting to think that the speculation that they might be filming some King’s Landing scenes there may be correct.

[Thanks to TPFKA Thoros of Myr for the heads up on the Malta report!]

1. fuelpagan
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

2. The Rabbit
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Our spies are doing their job, nice :)

I think that maybe all King s Landing exteriors scenes would be filmed in Malta.

3. OhDanyBoy
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Makes sense that they would want to get the re-shoots over with. Could get the post-production process started on the earlier episodes (pilot re-shoots included), which allows the production and post-production teams to be working simultaneously. Plus, they’ve got an extra week to complete each episode more than the last – so the pilot should really be done first, or early anyway.

4. Phantomwriter05
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

LOL!!

When ever you say stumble onto a set I get the image of some poor bastard on a hike and takes a moment to rest his feet.

then suddenly two blasts from a war horn sounds over the forest and a host of wildings in costume comes charging through the forest toward him.

he faints and there is a loud snap and a buzzer.

“DAMN IT … CUT!!”

5. TheReader
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Off subject, but I just listened to an interview with Terence Winter, the creator of Boardwalk Empire, on NPR’s Fresh Air program. I hope for similar treatment when GoT is finally released.

It’s an interesting listen as it talks about budget and production with an HBO series. Below is a link to the show’s website:

6. Silverjaime
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Hey Martin – well done! it must’ve been weird coming across a lot of “snow” when everywhere else is still autumn!

7. tek
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Phantomwriter05,

HAH!!! that would be awesome!

8. david ahern
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

looks cold

9. Phantomwriter05
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

tek,

I know right! LOL

or possibly there’s a scene with Cersei and Jaime sharing a forbidden lovers meeting in the shadows of an slippery back alley of kings landing and in the back ground of the shot a buch of drunken Celtic United soccer holigans start sing drinking songs loudly while they text on cell phones.

my point is that I’m concerned with the amount of people who are wondering onto the sets …

has the car in Fellowship of the Ring taught film makers nothing?!!

;)

10. sjwenings
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

david ahern: looks cold  Quote  Reply

Looks fake!

Nah… i’m not gonna start that up again.

11. Steel_Wind
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

It does, indeed, sound like the Prologue reshoot. It need not be, however. There are some winter scenes beyond the Wall in The Old Forest which might require a similar scene setup. As the end battle with the Wight will doubtless be in the season finale of to Season 1, they will certainly have to film the recovery of the bodies form the Od Forest as well.

I would expect the swearing of the vow to the Heaart Tree by Jon and Sam would also need a snow scene in the woods.

12. Martin
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Silverjaime: Hey Martin – well done!it must’ve been weird coming across a lot of “snow” when everywhere else is still autumn!

Yup, my first instinct was – why is all that polythene doing on the ground ? then gradually the cogs clicked into place and I realised what I was seeing. More directional signs went up today round here, so I guess they must be setting up a new location somewhere (although it is possibly a roundabout route to Tollymore)

Martin

Martin

13. spacechampion
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Agent / Game of Thrones producer Ralph Vicinanza passed away.

I’m not sure if Vicinanza was GRRM’s agent for his books, but it seems likely. From what I can gather he moved from the literary world to Hollywood to bring the books of his authors to the big and small screens. He is listed as a Co-Executive Producer on Game of Thrones, though I think it likely he was only involved on the legal end of things. He was also involved in bringing Flashforward, Jumper and the Forever War to Hollywood. He represented many sci-fi and fantasy authors, including David Brin, Connie Willis, Jack Vance, Stephen King and Peter Straub.

14. Martin
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Steel_Wind: Way to go MartinE! I heard about this from him on the weekend. Nice to see the pics now.

;)

Just noticed today the casting for Ilyn Payne (how did I manage to miss that) Wilko Johnson – just perfect, well – he knows how to wield an axe, and such a great bloke to boot.

Martin

15. Brude
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

spacechampion: Agent / Game of Thrones producer Ralph Vicinanza passed away.I’m not sure if Vicinanza was GRRM’s agent for his books, but it seems likely.From what I can gather he moved from the literary world to Hollywood to bring the books of his authors to the big and small screens.He is listed as a Co-Executive Producer on Game of Thrones, though I think it likely he was only involved on the legal end of things.He was also involved in bringing Flashforward, Jumper and the Forever War to Hollywood.He represented many sci-fi and fantasy authors, including David Brin, Connie Willis, Jack Vance, Stephen King and Peter Straub.

He was one of the heads of Created By, along with Vince Gerardis, which is management and production company, not an agency (the story is wrong). Agents are, by law, precluded from being producers as well, while managers have no such restrictions.

Created By specializes in representing the dramatic rights for sci-fi and fantasy writers to Hollywood. They also act as producers sometimes. It’s an unusual niche they found, but they’ve been very successful and had a pretty huge stable of writers. Infinity Management, the company I worked for in L.A., had some cross-over dealings with them at some point – can’t remember what it was. I think we only really dealt with Vince Gerardis – I remember calls to and from him, but not with Vicinanza.

The way I think it works in their case is, publishers often don’t have the best contacts in Hollywood or don’t really know how to navigate that world too well. I’ve seen it a million times since I have worked in both worlds – despite their similarities, the industries have very, very different cultures. For this reason, publishers will make deals with “book-to-film” agents and managers out there who specialize in rep’ing authors’ works to Hollywood. Created By invented their own niche by rep’ing specifically sci-fi and fantasy authors. As I recall, they pretty much had every major writer in these categories in their stable. I remember talking to someone over there once and I asked who they rep’d, and they named a bunch of the really big names to me, then I asked about a few others and they were like, “yeah, yeah, yeah we rep. them too.”

16. Larry D Curtis
    Posted September 28, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

As a man who appreciates wolves, he ought to find something interesting in AGOT, no?

17. Grimtuesday
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 3:07 am | Permalink

New not a blog post. George mentions that Rickon will be played by Art Parkinson and Mia Soteriou as Mirri Maz Duur.

18. Crotalidian
    Posted September 30, 2010 at 5:03 am | Permalink

Spent A Holiday in Malta a while back and I’m not sure Valletta or Mdina have the right feel for Kings Landing (although I’m sure the camera and Post Production wizards can do the job). I would have thought it would be used for the Free cities and the barren landscape shots could be used for quite a lot of outdoor work, we’ll see.