Quick hits: Rickon, Payne and a new director
By Winter Is Coming on in News, Press, Rumors.

Normally we wait until the end of the week for these, but there’s been a few noteworthy Game of Thrones items over the last couple days, so this will be your mid-week edition of Quick Hits.

First, an article over at the Inish Times on the youngest cast member, Art Parkinson. Art and his mother, Movania, talk about getting the role of Rickon and Art’s experiences on set so far.

“He’s just loving it. On the first day everyone was there to meet him and made him feel so welcome. He’s got his own little trailer and gets to hang out with Alfie Allen so he’s having a great time. He’s always acted ever since he was very young but this is just massive. It hasn’t fazed him though, he just wants to go out and do his football and meet his friends. We’re very proud of him.”

Second, another news article, this one on Wilko Johnson who is playing the King’s Justice, Ilyn Payne. The Echo reports that Wilko won the role when a casting agent saw him in a recent documentary about his band, Dr. Feelgood. His manager is quoted in the article:

“It’s an important part, although he doesn’t have to say anything because his character has had his tongue ripped out. His job description is basically to look scary and frighten the children. He pulled his usual scary face on the set, but the director told him ‘you don’t need to do scary, you are scary’.”

Lastly, it has been reported by Westeros that director Timothy Van Patten has joined the production as series director. Van Patten is an award-winning director and HBO veteran who has directed episodes of many of their premiere series’ including The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, The Pacific and Boardwalk Empire. It is unknown how many episodes he will be directing, but he makes a great addition to the already outstanding crew.

UPDATE: There is a rumor that Stephen Moyer, star of HBO’s True Blood, is in Malta filming a cameo appearance in Game of Thrones. Assuming this is true, who do you think Moyer might be appearing as?

1. Knurk
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Whawha, you don’t need to look scary, you are scary. Fantastic stuff.

Very good news about van Patten. Great director and a well known name.

2. Erik Sjöström
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

That director’s comment about Wilko made me laugh out loud! Brilliant.

3. Josh Parker
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Oh, that is so awesome. Van Patten may be my favorite TV director ever. This could NOT be better news.

4. Allanerik
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

“He’s got his own little trailer”

Woaw ! I really want to see the trailers about the main characters.

5. Nymeria
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Allanerik,

I think they mean his own truck trailer which serves as his personal dressing room

6. seanathin
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Posted October 7, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

I know I’ve already mentioned it a few times, but doesn’t Joe Campo’s 5th video warrant a mention in a Quick Hits post? Sorry if it’s already been officially mentioned; I might have missed it. But I really laughed my ass off with this one!

8. Mormegil
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

seanathin: They mentioned in the article that Payne has a week in Malta, guess those streets are a bit of kings landing.  Quote  Reply

Trying to think what scenes Payne has in Kings Landing that are out of doors. There’s the obvious one of course but are there any others in AGoT?

If not it looks like Ned’s beheading will be filmed in Malta.

9. Nymeria
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Yeah, Joe really deserves an audition for Thrones. Gotta love the ‘stache!

Can’t wait to see what he comes up with next.

10. Knurk
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Lex,

I think Winter is balancing it out a little and is not posting all of his vids. I remember from the post he made about the 4th video some commenters were annoyed by the over-attention he gets on this site. Not that I’m one from them, the last video was hilarious (doesn’t mean I think he should be on the show though). Did Felicia already respond to it?

11. Tysnow
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

If they are using Malta as a stand in for K.L., could this be the inside of the Great Sept and this the Mosta exterior for the scene with Ned and Illyn. Of course they will CGI elements and remove certain others from the interior.

Posted October 7, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

Fair enough. I recommend checking it out, though. It’s a good one! :)

13. Nymeria
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Tysnow,

Wow. I’d be fine with both!

14. The Rabbit
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Tysnow,

Honestly, when I first saw all this fantastic pics of Malta all over the net, I realised that it was unbelievable close to my image of KL.
    I have never imagined KL as some western european city on the coast like Hambourg, the image of mediterranean ports has been more close.
    Like Barcelona or Marseille.

Maybe it is due to the King s Bob description of it, as far opposite place to Winterfell. With half naked women and wine.

Then I saw Malta s architecture and that was really KL from my imagination.

After they have started talking about the six weeks of filming in Malta and the fact that the couple of Dany s scenes were already fimed in NI, I was becoming more and more sure that Malta (Valletta) would become KL.

And I think I found somewhere on the net the church which wanderfully suits the Baelor Sept.

15. The Rabbit
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Tysnow,

That was Mosta exterior I saw as perfect Baelor Sept…with its steps, of course.

16. GaR
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

I’ve always pictured KL being a lot more squalid and ugly. It’s described as “a daub and wattle city” in one of the later books, and a direct contrast is drawn with stone cities such as Oldtown. Malta looks closer to how I imagined Oldtown, tbh.

Doesn’t bother me too much if they make KL a more impressive sort of place, it’ll just serve to make the Battle of the Blackwater all that much more spectacular.

Posted October 7, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

18. Adam Whitehead
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Several possibilites for Stephen Moyer. One might be that they want him back later on for a bigger role and have gotten him in to film a brief establishing scene now. The most logical possibility is for Beric Dondarrion. Mance Rayder would probably throw too many viewers for a loop (“Hang on, wasn’t that Vampire Bill in the corner of the party scene for five seconds? Whate the heck?”). Another possibility could be that he’s playing Davos and they’re setting him up with a brief scene right at the end of Season 1 or something along those lines.

Since TRUE BLOOD films around January-April (to start airing in June) and GoT is filming July-December (possibly into January) there is no scheduling conflict either, especially since any role a TBer has in GoT will likely be relatively small and involve only a few days filming here and there.

19. tek
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

I think it will be something much smaller. Some random lord in KL for something. I would be surprised if it is a named part.

20. tek
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

although i have to say, i kinda like the idea of him as Beric… that would work.

21. Josh Parker
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead: (“Hang on, wasn’t that Vampire Bill in the corner of the party scene for five seconds? Whate the heck?”).

Actually, assuming it is Mance he’s being filmed as, that might be the hoped-for reaction. Not to mention they might give him a line so that viewers will remember it come Season 3.

There’s also the possibility that he’s Rhaegar. I have been really hoping they cast this role and not just have people refer to him, because it would be better for viewers when he’s finally seen in a vision in Season 2. However, it’s a small enough role I would hope they wouldn’t waste a name star on it.

22. spacechampion
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

HBO Canada now has a page for GOT. http://www.hbocanada.com/gameofthrones/

23. Alex
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: Updated the post with this interesting rumor that Stephen Moyer, star of HBO’s True Blood, is in Malta filming a cameo appearance in Game of Thrones. Assuming this is true, who do you think Moyer might be appearing as?

Bill, high on fairy blood, gets transported to Westeros. Hilarity ensues.

If it’s a cameo, it’s probably either some character who doesn’t live long/appears once or twice in flashbacks but somehow is still notable or someone who appears for a few moments in season one, with an option for a bigger role in later seasons (third or more), when True Blood might already end. Maybe someone from a Tower Of Joy flashback – Kingsguard or Howland Reed …

24. Nymeria
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

spacechampion,

Yes, here’s what I got in my email:

Go Behind-the-Scenes of HBO’s Epic New Fantasy Series‏
    TMN INSIDER
    OCTOBER 7, 2010

Action-Packed Fantasy – For Adults!

[Still of Sean Bean from the In Production video]

Game of Thrones star Sean Bean, author George R.R. Martin and executive producers D.B. Weiss and David Benioff explain that HBO is re-inventing the fantasy genre with this ambitious new series, premiering in 2011.

Watch [button leading to the In Production video on the newly launched – I assume – http://www.hbocanada.com/gameofthrones/

Nice to finally see them start to promote it in Canada.

25. Tysnow
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

Another great feature of the Mosta Cathedral is the presence of eight niches, the entrance being one which leaves SEVEN. They would of course have to install green screen around the altar, and a small green curtain perhaps 5 feet wide hanging in the middle of the other niches so CGI statues of the seven can be added later. It would make for a breathtaking Sept and since 99.9% of the viewers have never seen the Mosta Cathedral before on TV or movies (I am one of them, don’t remember anything ever filmed there) they wouldn’t know it as an actual locale. Since they are already filming there in Malta, it would be more cost efficient than building a set.

26. The Rabbit
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Tysnow,

Hey, maybe we just digged the Baelor Sept. That would be great!
    Or we just imagine to much?

27. Phoenix_torn
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Nymeria,

Did you get an email from HBO? I thought I was on their mailing list but apparently not.

This makes me happy. The videos finally work!

28. izakmo
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

I’d say Beric is more likely than Mance, if it is one of those two. I can’t think why HBO would film Mance’s cameo scene in Malta. Never realized Moyer was a Brit…

29. GaR
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Tysnow,

As awesome as that would be, I do wonder if the Catholic church would consent to one of their churches standing in for a heathen temple in a sordid cable drama full of sorcery, incest and generally filthy sex and and irreligiosity.

30. Adam Whitehead
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

izakmo,

Not just that, but Moyer’s first big starring role on television was as a vampire on the excellent 1998 mini-series ULTRAVIOLET (which everyone should watch immediately, it’s what TRUE BLOOD would be like if it was set in London and filmed by the crew behind THE WIRE, it’s even got Stringer Bell in it as a vampire-slaughtering soldier). Funny how these things come around.

GaR,

31. Nymeria
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Phoenix_torn,

This was the TMN newsletter. You can suscribe here. http://www.themovienetwork.ca/

32. Tysnow
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

GaR,

This is a fictitious world afterall, and the Malta Dept. of Film (or whatever) would influence the local diocese since it would be great PR for the country and would probably get more exposure for the cathedral.

33. The Rabbit
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Just found this on Flickr.
    It seems they are filming more than one film/series in Mdina.

34. Knurk
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead: The Catholic authorities would probably look at the books, compare it to their own history, and say, “Tame.”

Nice!

Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Hmm… I think Moyer is the worst actor on True Blood (although that could just be the fake American accent), so I’m not super thrilled about this. Doesn’t do much for me either way, really.

36. GaR
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

While it certainly is tame compared to the OT, that hasn’t stopped the Catholic Church before. They think an AIDS epidemic is less evil than using condoms, for example.

Tysnow,

True that, and it would be cool to see. So long as the Vatican Cabal aren’t involved in the decision making, there’s probably a decent chance :P

37. Coltaine777
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Stephen Moyer being involved with this production is huge news…but it could only be in a minor role…his profile from True Blood is too big IMO ..like Adam said ,people will be saying ‘ look ! there’s vampire Bill’…I see this as an attempt to lure fans of his show to GOT…he won’t be Beric people…what’s with all the suggestions for that role anyways…99% of them are way too old…he’s a young man

38. Phoenix_torn
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Nymeria,

Thanks!

39. Knurk
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

I’m sorry guys, but are we really relying on some dude who gave another dude a blowjob that Stephen Moyer is appearing in a cameo? We’re better than this right?

40. izakmo
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

On the other hand, Mance is a much bigger role than Beric. It seems odd they’d cast such a big name for a character who only makes a couple quick cameos in season one, and doesn’t appear again until season 3.

41. GaR
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Coltaine777,

I don’t think Beric’s age is too important to the story. The only problem I can think of that could result from casting an older actor is that it wouldn’t make as much sense for Jeyne to moon over him at the Hand’s Tourney. Or it’d be a lot creepier, anyway (a similar thing has already happened with Littlefinger being aged up so much; his scenes with Sansa gon’ be even creepier than in the books)

42. Phoenix_torn
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

By tomorrow this will be called “blowjob-gate”

43. Brude
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Van Patten is pretty much HBO’s #1 director right now. He’s everywhere on their network, working on everything it seems.

As for the Stephen Moyer rumor – if it’s true, I would guess Lord Beric. He’s actually quite a good choice for the role. As Rhaegar in flashbacks is also a good thought, I could definitely see that, too. (Wonder then, who would be playing Lyanna? Another major cameo?)

Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

BrudeAs Rhaegar in flashbacks is also a good thought, I could definitely see that, too.(Wonder then, who would be playing Lyanna?Another major cameo?)

As long as it’s not Anna Paquin! Nothing against her, but I really don’t want to see Bill & Sookie playing Rhaegar & Lyanna!

45. Phoenix_torn
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Brude,

I think Jaqen H’ghar would be an interesting Cameo too.

As long as Anna Paquin isn’t Lyanna I’ll be happy :P

46. Phoenix_torn
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Lex,

great minds Lex, great minds

47. The Rabbit
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Phoenix_torn: Knurk, By tomorrow this will be called “blowjob-gate”  Quote  Reply

Heh.

48. izakmo
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Coltaine777,

I’m guessing they’ll age Beric up, if they do include him. The Hound was a young man in the books, and Syrio an old one.

49. GaR
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Agreed. That would be deeply uncool.

50. DH87
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

I submit (TIC) that Moyer would be appearing in the role of Guy From The Other Big Series On HBO Who Might Draw His Maniac Fans to Our Show.

51. DH87
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Coltaine777,

Great minds think alike: sorry I missed your post when I posted the same theory, below.

52. DH87
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Coltaine777,

Moyer is 41.

53. Coltaine777
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

izakmo,
    You…Gar…and the Brude are probably right…but Mr.Torn suggestion of Jaqen Hagar is
    also a good one and IMO the right size role

54. Phoenix_torn
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Coltaine777,

Miss Torn :)

55. coltaine777
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

DH87,

indeed :)

56. coltaine777
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Phoenix_torn,

My apologies my lady :)

57. coltaine777
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

I am a pretty big True Blood and I just can’t see HBO casting Mr.Moyer in another …
    SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
    Undead role…especially one with Beric’s very important part in the series…he’s much too high profile a role to cast vampire Bill in…

58. DH87
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

coltaine777,

Next unsubstantiated rumor: Steve Buscemi is to replace Joe Dempsie as Gendry to doubledown on the HBO mojo. JK.

59. Brude
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

I like Anna Paquin a lot, but it would be distracting if she was Lyanna along with him, I think. Funny thing is, she’s not a bad choice for such a cameo, though.

Jaqen H’ghar would also be a great role for him, too…but that would mean he’d have to have a pretty significant role in Season 2. If they know the shooting schedules wouldn’t overlap, then it’s fine. Beric or Rhaegar cameos would mean far less time on this for him. Rhaegar would require a few days, one each for the various locations he shows up in flashback/visions. Beric has only one major scene in Book/Season 3, so he’d probably have to work a few days for that.

60. Stella Maris
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Yeah, sorry…don’t see Stephen Moyer as Beric AT ALL.

Can he even ride a horse? Beric is jousting!

I’m thinking Mance or, more likely, something less.

61. coltaine777
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

DH87,

lol lol….I’m probably getting excited for no reason I know my friend…but I am in favour of bringing in Mr.Moyer (just not in a very big role)…I’ve bought this rumour , hook,line and sinker :)…but I also believe HBO are in this for the long haul…this show will be huge…Felicia Day for Lyanna ?

62. DH87
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Brude,

If TB goes according to the book series plot arc, Vampire Bill will have a smaller role in the upcoming season (S4), which begins filming in late November and continues through June. There was a rumor that Moyer said he was in only four episodes of the twelve that make up S4. That would give him considerable time to devote to another commitment.

63. coltaine777
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Jared Leto is my idea of the Lightning lord…too busy singing nowadays though…

64. Knurk
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

I still can’t believe we’re taking this rumour serious. It’s not that I don’t believe Moyer will do a cameo, but I heard a lot of rumours in my life and this has got to be one of the most untrustworthy sources ever…

Tomorrow I’ll create a twitter account and claim I had cunnilingus with Nicole Kidman. She garanteed me Nina Gold already gave her the rol for Melissandre!

65. The Rabbit
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit: Just found this on Flickr.It says the film name is The devils double, and the photo is taken on september 29th.It seems they are filming more than one film/series in Mdina.  Quote  Reply

Just to add a few words…Ran of Westeros cheked on IMDB that The Devil s double is filmmed on Malta, but it is film on Saddam Hussein s double.
    And the scene I see on this pic does not tell at all that it could be realted to Saddam.
    Our speculation: It could be GOT, and it could be Pentos.

66. DH87
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Stella Maris,

Most British actors learn to ride, at least in a rudimentary way, since so much of the British film industry is made up of costume dramas. As someone said above, Moyer played in Prince Valiant, a campy horror from 13 years ago (knights swim underwater in helmets and chain mail!), as a squire to a knight. He must have had some riding scenes in that.

67. Silverjaime
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Aidan Gillen has been interviewed on the Dave Fannimg show about his RTE series Love/Hate, but further into the interview he talks about Game of Thrones and his character Lttlefinger. Sounds good – he sounds very optimistic that it’ll be a big success even though he’s never done anything in this genre. Also he seems to think his character is great! Here’s the link:

Then click on Listen Back

Once the player comes up you will have to click back (previous show) until you get to Oct 2nd’s show.
    Fast forward to the end – around the 99 min mark – to listen to Aidan’s interview.
    He’s very articulate about his work – and has been enjoying the music scene in Belfast!

68. Silverjaime
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

By the way it took me 25 mins to get onto this site.

69. DH87
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

Well, if Moyer turns out not to be in the running for Beric, maybe this guy is an option. He has the requisite equestrian skills for Stella Maris and fits the age requirements. Not a lot of acting experience but plenty of nerve to give it a go, I’m sure.

70. Stella Maris
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

DH87,

I’m still sticking to Simon Woods as my #1 choice for Lord Beric. And yes…he can ride a horse! :P

71. Knurk
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Silverjaime,

Great find. Not only a great spy on the field, but also on the interwebs! Listening to the interview now.

72. Goomba
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit:
    Our speculation: It could be GOT, and it could be Pentos.

By the way, first time poster here!

73. dizzy_34
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

Soookaaaahh… I can see him as any one of the above mentioned roles. But I hope it’s Rheagar so we get that flashback.

74. LostLannister
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Personally, I could see Moyer as Roose Bolton. He does drawn and pale very well. Moyer would have a cameo in Season 1, followed by a more significant (but still infrequent) role in later seasons. Which would be convenient if his role on True Blood diminishes or if Alan Ball takes the big step of killing off Bill…

75. izakmo
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

Just checked out the Devil’s Double website. It definitely ain’t a period film:

I’d guess the photo is Pentos, if it is from GoT. Don’t remember any Pentos scenes in the book that included, though.

76. Nymeria
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Once again, nice catch Rabbit!

I agree with you that these horsemen look a lot like this Gold cloak.

So if this really is Game of Thrones and these are in fact Gold cloaks, it would have to be King’s Landing.

Ran says clothing is all wrong for KL, but I don’t know. KL is still in hot summer in GOT.

Did you notice the plalaquin in the back? It looks really good.

Also, the guy’s back in front looks like Elyes Gabel! lol

77. Tysnow
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

izakmo,

The men in the distance coming up the alley are holding poles on their shoulders, and I believe they are carrying the canopied litter that Dany and Viserys are in, which would then be a shot of the entourage traveling to the bethrothal party, which buy the way happens in Pentos.

78. Tysnow
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

If Moyer is in Malta for a cameo, it means either a Pentos or Kings Landing scene, or possibly a flashback with Rhaegar. My money is on JH (if so means Syrio is not JH), with Rhaegar a distant second (I would love this cause I want ToJ flashbacks real bad). Can’t be Mance as the only scene is Winterfell and thats not in Malta. The other option is Beric (I hope not, too small) or a Kingsguard.

79. Wolfheart
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

Goomba:
    What about King’s Landing? Those two knights seem to wear the very same armour we’ve spotted during the in production’s clip, behind a Lannister guard: goldcloaks, right?By the way, first time poster here!

I agree with that. Those men on horseback:
    look nearly alike if not the same to the man in costume behind the supposed Samurai Lannister guards GOT teaser still:

Please compare the elbow cops armor, the helmet color and shapes along with the ridge over the eyes are similar, the color of the costume and the look of the sleeved surcoat also, the same drapping fabric or leather from helmet to shoulders. I bet you those are Goldcloaks. Filming a scene at “Kings Landing.”

80. izakmo
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 12:38 am | Permalink

Wolfheart,

Definitely the same soldier uniforms. Looks like they’re going with a Mediterranean vibe for King’s Landing, at least in terms of costume design. I guess it makes sense if they want to really push the North=winter and South=summer thing. Not how I pictured it, but I suppose HBO doesn’t want Westeros to look anything like the standard medieval England fantasy fare.

81. Cyan
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 1:02 am | Permalink

Since its a cameo, I would assume that Stephen Moyer is Mance, theres only one part of book one he was in, but was not mentioned until book 2 or 3 i cant remember.
    Though that would be kinda of a tease on hbo’s part, to hook TB fans on the series opener.

82. Cyan
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 1:19 am | Permalink

Woops just read he was in malta, nevermind that previous statement, unless there filming a castle dinner there it wont happen lol.

83. Altaïr
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 3:26 am | Permalink

I don’t like Moyer very much… couldn’t they choose Alexander Skarsgaard for a True Blood cameo instead ? He could make a very nice Rhaegar or Arthur Dayne, couldn’t he… *wishfull thinking*

84. The Rabbit
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 3:55 am | Permalink

Just got a confirmation from an extra (he was in KL but on another set).
    He is 100 % sure this pic is Kings Landing exterior!

85. OzXaro
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 4:22 am | Permalink

DH87,

That literally made me feel ill.

I love Steve Buscemi, but ugh.

Posted October 8, 2010 at 4:33 am | Permalink

I don’t usually whine, but … meh to the Ancient Mediterranean take on King’s Landing. They could go wild every which way with lands across the sea and even Dorne, but Westeros in general is more uniform and (semi-)realistically medieval. Ah well, we’ll see how it works out on screen, it could be great :)

87. The Rabbit
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 4:39 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

You see, it is totally personal and subjective matter.
    I had a image of KL – which was exactly Ancient Mediterranean.
    And I am more than happy now.

I am sure there will be some locations I would not like at all, but that is the price of the adaptation we have to pay.

I am pretty down on the Kingsguard look for example.

88. Grimtuesday
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 5:00 am | Permalink

I think that in this time of new stuff coming out, some people elated and others disappointed, we need to be glade for somethings. #1 We won’t be seeing that has been raped by the writers, we will see a production that is as close to the original book as possible. #2 we have great writers and executive producers who are fans of the books and respect GRRM enough to consult with him on what seems to be a relativity regular basis. And #3, At least Michal Bay or Uwe Boll never got their evil little finger in on this. I don’t think I need to say anymore.

Posted October 8, 2010 at 5:01 am | Permalink

The Rabbit,

Copy-paste of another framing of my opinion:
    It will be interesting to see how this mix of Ancient Roman and Medieval works out. The architecture and all could be great (I’ve once compared KL to Istanbul, Turkey), the only mental adjustment is the even warmer climate than in the books. Those Roman garbs of the commoners bother me a bit, though.
    So we agree on many points :)

90. Brude
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 5:17 am | Permalink

The clothing of people at the Tourney in the preview material all looked Medieval/Renaissance era, but the clothing here is almost ancient Greco-Roman, except for the two Gold Cloaks on their horses.

I honestly think we might be seeing backstage where people costumed for two close-by sets are mingling. One is a KL set (Gold Cloaks), the other is Pentos (Greco-Roman).

Another possibility – these are a few Gold Cloaks who were sent by Robert to the Free Cities to try and find Dany and Viserys or just keep tabs on them. Maybe there’s a line or two inserted about how King Robert’s agents and lackeys are constantly a threat, even across the Narrow Sea. Then someone points out the Gold Cloaks watching their procession, fortunately from a safe distance for the Targaryens.

91. Ula Mišigoj
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 5:26 am | Permalink

I can’t say I’m too happy about a swarm of emo / goth kiddy fans for GoT. Jus’ sayin’…

Posted October 8, 2010 at 5:28 am | Permalink

Brude,

Maybe so, it’s an interesting puzzle altogether. It’s going to look beautiful, that’s for sure!

93. coltaine777
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 5:49 am | Permalink

thanks SilverJaime for the Gillen interview…he listens to the band ”Sun Kil Moon’…I love that group….if your into folk-rock music people, check them out…

Posted October 8, 2010 at 5:51 am | Permalink

Hmm… yeah, the Mediterranean garb for the commoners is weird… but on the other hand, it all looks fantastic!

95. The Rabbit
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 5:58 am | Permalink

Brude,

It looks like the we had seen only the noble side of the tourney crowd.
    I was told, that the commoners on the other side of the tourney grounds looked exactly like the folks on this pic.
    So, it is KL, I guess.

96. Rimshot
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 6:14 am | Permalink

Hi

Yes, as I tweeted, this pic is definitely Kings Landing Ext. The peasants in the pic are wearing exactly the same as the peasants at the Tourney and those are definitely Gold Cloaks on the horses. There were no shots of the peasants in the promo material as we were all standing on the river side of the lists.

I must admit this has deflated me a bit as I was hoping to be called again for more KL exterior work. I should be grateful for the 7 days I’ve done already but I was hoping for more. Kinda miss it!

Ah well…

97. The Rabbit
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 6:19 am | Permalink

Rimshot

Oh, don t you worry, I am pretty sure they are going to call for the Green Fork battle.
    The Lords need a lots of peasants to fight for them ;)

98. Martin
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 6:30 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar: I don’t usually whine, but … meh to the Ancient Mediterranean take on King’s Landing. They could go wild every which way with lands across the sea and even Dorne, but Westeros in general is more uniform and (semi-)realistically medieval. Ah well, we’ll see how it works out on screen, it could be great (I just don’t want people to get a wrong impression about the realism of the books when they see the series.)  Quote  Reply

I think there is another dimension when it comes to filming a book. The visuals have to telegraph so much that can be simply written in the book.

One of the main things is to relate very quickly where a particular scene is, TV – in that case, having the locations being very distinct from one another is real advantage. If they were all a similarly germanic/english/medieval, then there would more of a dependence on lighting / colouring.

My initial reaction was similar to yours, but I think it will work quite well for the series.

Martin

Posted October 8, 2010 at 6:43 am | Permalink

Martin,

I recognize this advantage, yes. Nina Gold also mentioned it. I hope they can blend the architecture and the commoners well with knights and swords, and the medieval technological level. I also wish KL doesn’t give too much of a Holy Land in the times of the Crusades vibe … that should be reserved for Dorne :)

100. Knurk
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 7:47 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Although I too always pictured KL as typical medieval city, I can understand them going this route. The only problem I have with the Ancient Mediterranean take one KL is how they’re going to film it when Winter comes. How are you going to make a place in Malta look really cold? And if this is their take on KL, then how are they going to depict Dorne? But that’s not a problem they’re dealing with in quite some time.

101. Mormegil
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Very surprised with the KL peasent garb. Not totally against it but am amazed that it is so different from what the Nobility are wearing.

I can easily see Kings Landing being a hodge podge of different styles due to influences from across the narrow sea but to have them all look like they stepped off the set for Rome when the nobility look medievalish is very odd.

Even the amount of clothes seems odd if on one side of the Tourney we have the King and Queen in long sleeved outfits with the Queen wearing a shawl and I believe Robert wears an outer coat over what we have seen and on the other side there are the peasants in sleeveless togas.

102. Tysnow
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 8:48 am | Permalink

103. userj
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Could he be Roose Bolton? Would be a cameo since he’s only in 1ish scene in the first book. But casting a big name will help us remember who he is in later seasons… IMO Bolton is actually an easy character to forget because he has so little screen/page time (most of his action is behind the scenes). So it would be great to have a big cameo name there.

(Maybe seems a bit young for Roose but he could have a 20ish year old bastard son).

104. OhDanyBoy
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Tysnow: I didn’t notice the visors on the helmets, those are definitely Gold Cloaks, but the attire of the commoners is Greco-Roman, while the clothing of the commoners in Tourney pics are medieval. Note the sleeveless look in Malta but in the tourney shots all the women have medieval sleeved dresses. I agree with some that these are extras for two different scenes, the Gold Cloaks are off camera and more than likely waiting for their KL scene to be shot nearby, while the litter entourage is filming a scene for Pentos.

105. Rob O Sevens
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 9:36 am | Permalink

I honestly dont see Bill as the right fit for any of the names mentioned (but Ive only seen him in Trueblood)

Correct me if Im wrong but I thought mance was older and balding and that is why Jon thinks the King Beyond the Wall is someone else in the tent when he first sees him as he does nto look kingly -

Beric is supposed to be young and vain and pretty sort of stereotype prince charming when we first see him and I dont see him as that.

I guess he could be Jaqen but that seems like a very minor role especially

since he can essentially change his appearance which does not exempt him from being Syrio even if different actors portray both

Bolton is probably the best fit and a character who has potentially a larger role in the books that arent out so it could be a way to bring Trueblood fans into the series but there shouldnt be any Bolton scenes filmed in Malta.

And finally Rhaegar there is NO way I see that. Rhaeger is essentially held up as perfect, through flashbacks etc., He would have been the perfect king etc., and hes supposed to be young and beautiful when he dies, I just dont see Vampire Bill filling those shoes.

sorry for the long post

106. Rob O Sevens
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 9:37 am | Permalink

sorry I meant for that quote to be blocked out

my bad

107. Rimshot
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 10:01 am | Permalink

OhDanyBoy: Did you see Rimshot’s post? Apparently the peasants at the tourney were dressed in those toga-ish things, and all we saw were the nobility, in more medieval clothing. He confirmed that this is a shot of KL exterior, and that those are actually KL peasants.  Quote  Reply

Hi, just to clarify. I have no inside knowledge of what this scene is. But the costumes match the Tourney peasant costumes and the guys on horses are definitely gold cloaks so it is logical to deduce that this is a KL exterior. In fact, I think you can see Tourney peasants in the promo material somewhere.

Anyway, I’ve said too much. I’m going to retreat back into the shadows for a while…

108. dizzy_34
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Rimshot,

awsome! thanks for the confirmation…retreat away.

109. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Ok my input on the Moyer rumor ans spoilers are upcoming so TB fans beware!
    I immediately thought Rhaegar and then Beric like I’ve read many other have too. Then I went for the undead angle thinking he might be cast as an Other. While Rhaegar is still a possiblity I’d say Beric is too young and the Other will probably be CGI’d or too heavily prostheticed to be noticable. Also if they are in Malta, I doubt they would have SM there since the scenes up North are in Ireland.
    So…I got to thinking. Who does Moyer look like?
    He’s definately Starky, but all the Stark roles have been cast…or have they?!?
    Sean Bean and Joseph Mawle have Eddard and Benjen nailed down and all the the kids (legit and bastard alike) are accounted for so no on is left right?
    Wrong!
    My guess is that Moyer will be playingBrother Brandon getting burned alive in a Jaime flashback during his time at court It fits the location and the role is a one shotterunless he reprises it for Jojen’s knight’s tale later on Pureists might say that he’s too old for the role but age really wouldn’t be important at all for this scene. His age relative to Eddards is unimportant. So what do you think? Good guess?

110. tek
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 10:34 am | Permalink

when you blow that picture up all the way, it looks like there is a white haired man in the middle of the crowd in front of the litter. Berristan the Bold perhaps? Maybe this is the queens litter or something like that.

111. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 10:34 am | Permalink

By the by, with HBO really pushing its cross-promotions, I don’t think a rumor like this is too out of the question. If the role is small enough and its taken seriously and not schticky then it could work.

112. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 10:38 am | Permalink

To me those togas look all wrong for KL. I’d have to guess at Pentos.

113. Mormegil
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Art Parkinson got some more coverage in todays Irish Daily Mail. Pretty much the same as the article linked here but there’s also a couple of photo’s.

As to Steven Moyer I seriously doubt he would be cast as Beric, much too old (plus any tourney scenes of Beric with his helmet off would have already been filmed). To be honest I could see him as Stannis but presumably that would be too large a part if he is still doing TB.

So my suggestion for a cameo that would need to be filmed in KL is Tobho Mott.

114. Steve Westenra
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 10:59 am | Permalink

If these are the costumes for the Kings Landing peasantry then it is the first thing I’ve been legitimately not happy about. I mean, the quality looks amazing, but it really doesn’t mesh, in my mind, with all the other locations, or with the period feel of the rest of what we’ve seen. Even if they’d gone with a medieval Italian look it wouldn’t have looked as Ancient Roman as this does. It just doesn’t seem congruent with the rest of the culture as they have presented it. Because Dorne and Pentos (although I admit, I envisioned Dorne being more Middle Eastern), etc, have always felt more separate and independent in the books, I could see this style working very well with either of those locations, but for King’s Landing I think it creates too much of a disparity between itself, Winterfell, and other Westerosi cities. I’m just concerned that it will take away from the sense of immersion in the show.
    I’m all for going the Italian route in terms of King’s Landing, even though my image tends to be of something a bit more northern(not by much though), but this has thrown me for a bit of a loop, as the costumes here look so different in terms of time period, from everything else we’ve seen. I just don’t find myself “buying it,” if you know what I mean?

115. Crotalidian
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Actually in that picture the women are all wearing dresses , but holding the hems up to avoid getting them too dirty, looks more like summer dresses than togas. Still quite Greco-Roman though.

Not sure how I feel about that Idea for KL, but If we assume it is going to be mediterranean then we have to assume that the Free Cities and everyhting in that direction will have a different Feel and Dorne will be different again. My Guesses (and these will fit with my vision) are An Arabic/Middle Eastern/Far Eastern for Accross Pentos, Tyros, Lys etc. and to have Dorne feel much Like Ancient Egypt, an Almost Cleopatra-esque region of stunning architecture Oases and exotic Poeples.

On That Thought is there any news of Jalabhar Xho in S1, assume he will be useful Later on and Should be Cast, even if just to set up the Summer Islanders as a People for the Later introductions

tek,

Looks like there is more than one Older man in that crowd, both seem to be in ‘normal’ i.e not Kingsguard so anyones Guess if they are any more than Peasants and Extras

116. Steve Westenra
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Mormegil,

I wouldn’t have thought of Stannis on my own, as I have a pretty clear mental image of him, but now that you mention it, he does have the kind of dower look of Stannis. That could actually work….

117. dizzy_34
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I think the gold cloaks look great (yes the cloaks are gold if you look close). The peasants? It’s kind of weird but I do remember Robert had a quote about the women wearing loose clothing becuase of how hot it is in Kings Landing. I imagine Kings Landing being a hub of different cultures so I would think you would get a ton of different dress types.

118. OhDanyBoy
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 11:12 am | Permalink

One more thing – that does appear to be a staging area – notice the tape and (less obvious) the water bottle in one extra’s hand. So it is unlikely any major characters are in the shot.

As for Vampire Bill… thinking of the timing. If he is there now, what episode/block of episodes are being filmed? That could give a clue as to what character he might play.

119. Steve Westenra
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Stephen Moyer as Walder Frey! ;p

120. Crotalidian
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 11:24 am | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

121. Phoenix_torn
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 11:26 am | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

There also appears to be a man in a t-shirt behind the girl with the water bottle.

The Roman feel is growing on me. Not what I expected but I really like the costumes.

122. Mormegil
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Crotalidian: OhDanyBoy, In terms of Timing for a cameo Appearance, Unless they want to bring him back in later seasons Could he Possibly be Playing Jory Cassel? He could Conceivably be Rodriks son. For a Repeating Character we could have an early Look at Ser Jacelyn Bywater ready for his Performance in aCoK?  Quote  Reply

Jory is already cast, plus he’s Rodriks nephew not son IIRC.

123. Martin
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 11:38 am | Permalink

How about Moyers the part of Jon Arryn in flashback? would be right for King’s Landing, would be a one off part, and may be needed to establish various key relationships as well as the role of the hand – and hasn’t (AFAIK) been cast before ?

Martin

124. Brad
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 11:41 am | Permalink

I really like the King’s Landing photo from Malta. It’s not what I was expecting, but I didn’t have very strong expectations. I have always felt like King’s Landing would be one of the trickier bits to portray. This photo immediately won me over with the quality of the location & costumes.

I don’t see them as togas straight out of Rome. Simply a certain style of peasant garb. For me it doesn’t clash with the armored riders. I can see the styles (European style armor, longer robes) co-existing in the same city– along with plenty of jerkins, leggings, tunics, capes, etc.

125. tek
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 11:50 am | Permalink

it looks to me like the foreground is a staging area, and down the alley they are filming some kind of procession through the city. It looks to me like a camera guy just past the red tape on the left. very doubtful the foreground is anything, with all the plastic and ladders laying around.

126. chris
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Moyer would make a decent Lord Beric if they did want to bring him back for later but if its just a cameo to get some TB viewers or something could he possibly be in Ned’s Tower of Joy dream? Could he be our Sword of the Morning? Might be kinda cool,its just a small part.

127. Nymeria
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Martin,

John Arryn has already been cast as John Standing.

128. dizzy_34
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

I don’t know, I can see it.

129. Daniel Fox
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34,

130. dizzy_34
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Daniel Fox: dizzy_34, I don’t know about you all, I believe Stephen Moyer would make a great Roose Bolton. He has the look – http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Roose_Bolton#A_Game_of_Thrones  Quote  Reply

I picture Roose in his 50s. Like someone above said he has a 20 something bastard son. Which I’ll continue to champion Rami Malek as the bastard of bolton (Reek the first one anyways :))

131. Tysnow
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Well, I didn’t realize there was a high def version for the Malta pic, so I opened in my photo editor and zoom zoom the heck out of it, and cleared it up a little too.
    The guy down the alley on the far left is a crew member he is wearing jeans and is operating some equipment. The one next to him that I thought was a litter bearer is actually facing away. The litter is not a litter afterall but some piece of equipment or something under a makeshift canopy of 2×4′s with a transparent plastic dropcloth. Apparently it is just a crowded street scene with all the action being around the corner where the alley widens into a larger street and the extras have left the shot and are heading for the staging area. The guy with the gray hair and beard looks familiar though, I will go back through the clips and see if he was in them.

132. Mormegil
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Here’s the picture of Art from the Irish Daily Mail article I mentioned earlier. Had to use a camera rather than a scanner so the writing wasn’t readable but as I said the content was pretty much the same as the one linked to above. One difference was that it mentioned there are 7 books to adapt so Art has a number of years work lined up.

133. Shinyteapot
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Daniel Fox: dizzy_34,

This could work but I doubt Roose would have any scenes to be filmed in Malta?
    Assuming the rumour is true (of course it may not be) I don’t think we’ve hit on the role yet- Beric was at the tourney, and I imagine if Moyer had been seen on set in Ireland we’d have heard about it? And he’s surely too old for Rhaegar (personal bias- he looks nothing like my vision of Rhaegar) or Brandon Stark in flashback?

Posted October 8, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

I like the goldcloaks.

135. Martin
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Nymeria: Martin,
    John Arryn has already been cast as John Standing.

Ah thanks, I hadn’t picked up on that one.

maybe he’s just going to follow my one and only stage appearance, and play the part of a tree (insert your own wooden acting jibe here).

Martin

136. OhDanyBoy
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Shinyteapot:
    This could work but I doubt Roose would have any scenes to be filmed in Malta?
    Assuming the rumour is true (of course it may not be) I don’t think we’ve hit on the role yet- Beric was at the tourney, and I imagine if Moyer had been seen on set in Ireland we’d have heard about it?And he’s surely too old for Rhaegar (personal bias- he looks nothing like my vision of Rhaegar) or Brandon Stark in flashback?If this is true, and it’s for a King’s Landing scene, how about one of the Kingsguard?

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think he is Beric. Beric was likely fully helmed at the tourney, and his only speaking parts are in Kings Landing. He might not have quite the look for Beric the Lightning Lord, but Beric the Undead he can certainly pull off.

137. DH87
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

Moyer has been a brutal miscast as Bill (too old by a decade, too short, too wooden) and it would be a shame to see him ruin Beric. He’s perfectly capable of doing so. I hope you are wrong.

138. userj
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Shinyteapot,

Hmm, well the Roose scene(s) could be filmed indoors/on set, where they can set up whatever indoor sets they also have in NI. IIRC, most of those late-book Robb scenes are in tents, so that could be done anywhere. Haven’t we already confirmed that a lot of indoor scenes from places like KL, The Wall and Winterfell are still being shot down in Malta?

I like him as Roose way better than the other suggestions so far. No way on Rhaegar or Beric. It would be OK for him to be Artur Dayne or Howland Reed (too tall?) in flashback I guess…

139. OldGran
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Could Moyer be King Aerys in a flashback of the sack of KL?

140. Phoenix_torn
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

DH87,

I agree that he was miscast as Bill but I don’t entirely think it’s Moyer’s fault either. This past season (for better or worse) he really changed the way he was playing Bill. (Less stiff, a little more emotional). From every interview I’ve seen with the guy I get the feeling that the real Stephen Moyer is a far cry from True Blood’s uptight Bill.
    I don’t see him as Beric at all but I actually think he’d do better taking on a role that was very un-Bill like.

141. dizzy_34
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Just checked out Van Patten’s credits and he directed the best episodes of The Pacific by far. His Rome and Sopranos efforts were pretty solid as well.

142. JJtheCrow
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

I think SM as Brandon Stark is a great fit. It is a cameo afterall and he would only require one scene (if memory serves).

143. Wolfheart
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Knurk: Hear Me Roar,

Yeah, I thought about that too. I really hope HBO isn’t just doing and seeing things from a short perspective and a short run, only planning with the first book in mind. When and if they do more than 2 seasons…it has a effect on short sighted planning. In the long run, if they knew what was coming further down the road; would have a more medieval european style costuming faired better with a Mediterranean, greco, roman KL city. It might have worked just as well if not better for the long run?

I hope they can pull it off.

144. Nymeria
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Perharps we’ll see Moyer in the Jaime vs Ned street altercation?

145. OhDanyBoy
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

I’ve looked at the picture a few times now, and I have to say, the garb doesn’t look nearly as Toga-like as it did on first glance. Most of the women appear to be wearing two layers of dress, which is much more medieval than roman, and the men mostly have sleeves. I think the look will work fine for peasantry, even beside the more ‘medieval’ royal clothing.

Nymeria,

Would that mean he is simply a no-name guard? I guess if Jory has a reduced role earlier, he could be in only one episode as a cameo.

146. Wolfheart
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

all this talk about flashback scenes has me wonder who they will really cast for Rhaegar and the one character rarely mentioned LYANNA. I wonder if they will even do Rhaegar, Lyanna flashbacks in the series.

Moyer could work as Mad King Aerys. I can see it. Rhaegar no. Berric yes. Him as Neds brother burning alive by order of Aerys yes.

147. Butterbumps
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

I didn’t imagine KL hat way, but after thinking for awhile it makes sense. The world have been basking in warm sunny summer for 20 years, I don’t think you can use northern European medieval heavy and sturdy clothing in that weather.

148. Nymeria
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

A new Making Game of Thrones update pending?

From Twitter

@Game Of Thrones: We wanted to be able to see the world from it… so you get a tremendous feeling of vertigo.” –Gemma Jackson

The Wall!!!

149. Knurk
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

After one day it still annoys me people are taking this rumour seriously!

150. Dennai
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Wolfheart,

Ned’s brother was not burnt alive; his dad was. And please, use the spoiler tag.

151. dizzy_34
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Nymeria: A new Making Game of Thrones update pending?From TwitterThe Wall!!!  Quote  Reply

Either that or the skycells.

152. dizzy_34
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Knurk: After one day it still annoys me people are taking this rumour seriously!  Quote  Reply

I don’t think anyone is taking it as fact, just playing the ‘what if’ game. C’mon man, what else is there to do?

153. Phoenix_torn
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34,

Exactly. I don’t think this is worse than arguing over a chair for 3 days, or speculating casting of Walder Frey/ Beric/Bolton, etc. We’re just passing the time.

154. DH87
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Phoenix_torn,

Phoenix, I hope you are right. If he brought even one new fan to GOT I suppose it would be worth it to seem him chew the scenery through some nonpivotal role. He’s had a long, undistinguished career in the U.K. (a season as a rep Romeo at the RSC notwithstanding) before striking pay dirt as Bill. he was HBO’s fourth choice for the role and has been a real disappointment. He can apparently sing, however, so perhaps his GOT cameo is as a troubadour.

155. Phoenix_torn
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Permalink
  156. Knurk
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34,

Phoenix_torn,

I know the discussion is a bit playful and a lot of you don’t take it serious, and it is interesting to discuss flashbacks and what if cameo’s. But it disturbs me that this ‘rumour’ is placed in the post itself. A guy who blew another guy has thrown a rumour in the air and it finds it’s way on WiC’s main page. I almost did post a Cunnilingus post with Nicole Kidman on the Twitter about her being Melissandre to just show how ridiculous this rumour actually is.

BTW, new Gemma Jackson video on makinggameofthrones. Awesome!

157. KG
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Well, Moyer wore armor convincingly back in 1997 when he played Prince Valiant (what a change of pace, eh?) It would be nice to see him in more than a cameo.

158. KG
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Permalink
  159. Adam Whitehead
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

“(I’ve once compared KL to Istanbul, Turkey)”

Not a bad comparison. Martin has said that the Great Sept of Baelor looks a lot like the Hagia Sophia, and Ted Nasmith followed that in his artwork of King’s Landing:

I’m presuming from HBO’s statements that they are not following extant artwork that they’re version of King’s Landing will look totally different, which would be a shame.

160. Mr. Donnerfaust
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

New “Artisans”-Video with Gemma Jackson about Castle Black on MGOT!

161. mummer
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

Oh for crying out loud… the banner of this site says “news AND RUMORS”.

Also, I don’t know why you think the oral sex angle is so fascinating/hilarious – you’ve mentioned it twice now – give it a rest.

162. Liesie
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

I’m a little schocked at the togas. Well I like togas a lot, but the fact is that I, as a classicist, have to deal with ancient Rome/Greece a lot and uhhh… well for me it just doesn’t work I gues because I know too much about Rome/ancient Greece to fully accept this kind of style for my beloved GoT

163. Liesie
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

(shocked about)

164. Maxwell James
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

I don’t mind the togas. Mostly because it looks like we’re starting to see some visual consistency – between this, the chair, and a few other elements, they’re clearly playing up the notion of Valyria as Rome, the North as Britain, and Kings Landing a cosmopolitan muddle, as any great metropolis would be. I’m guessing the Mediterranean aspects will be even more developed in Pentos, whereas Dorne will be all-out Turkish or even Moorish.

The vaguely Japanese armor for the Lannisters still strikes me as odd, but no odder than the similar accents for the Elves in LOTR.

165. frank ramirez
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Mr. Moyer hey? My guess is someone on staff for House Baratheon! Dark hair light eyes….no? My vote for STANNIS goes to IAN MCSHANE! (Al Swearengen from DEADWOOD) I just really really want him in GoT. He is an amazing talent! Put him anywhere!

166. Brad
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James,

cf. Elven Street Samurai from the old tabletop rpg Shadowrun.

167. Goomba
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James: they’re clearly playing up the notion of Valyria as Rome, the North as Britain, and Kings Landing a cosmopolitan muddle, as any great metropolis would be. I’m guessing the Mediterranean aspects will be even more developed in Pentos, whereas Dorne will be all-out Turkish or even Moorish.

You nailed it, I guess. From a Stark perspective (which isn’t much different from ours, narrative speaking), traveling all the way down to KL from Winterfell should look quite similar to what a northern European man would have felt while visiting a city like Rome. The Red Keep itself as seen in the first artisan’s clip screamed Southern Europe to me, with all those round arches, marbles and plastered walls. The Free Cities are not that far away from KL, if we think about it, and that sea is called Narrow for a reason.

Out of curiosity, found a couple of photos from the same location:
    this is the building behind the horses – http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfornino/3345133382/in/photostream/#/photos/sfornino/3345133382/in/photostream/lightbox/
    and I’m pretty sure this is the road in the background – http://www.flickr.com/photos/41279334@N03/3804161253#/photos/oswedan/3804161253/lightbox/

168. Fire And Blood
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

I think if anyone was expecting Kings Landing to look like some version of a medieval London or Paris they were way off base to begin with. This city is essentially Constantinople-as-the-cradle-of-civilization; it’s a mishmash of cultures with a strong Valyrian (Roman?) influence. The Holy Roman Empire’s new shoes.

And as more than one person pointed out, the women aren’t wearing togas–they’re just sleeveless dresses.

Does it look slightly desert-y? Sure, right now. From the back end. But get some trees in there–some green, some color–and I think we’ll have our Constantinople.

I’m intrigued.

Posted October 8, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

In terms of things looking relatively simple and not too fancy, I remember that the people of Essos always referred to the Seven Kingdoms and Westeros as “barbarians”. I don’t think Westeros is as opulent or fancy as it believes itself to be.

170. Jimmy
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Why do you guys think SM would play a significant role? Maybe he is just playing a random brothel visitor. You know, for the fun, not for the money. There is NO evidence to rule that possibility out.

171. Ikertzeke
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

My prediction, big name for S.Boyer: Stannis, I can see him giving orders and being a rock, with Mel as his red queen.

172. Knurk
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

mummer,

Thank you for noticing that I’m trying to show that this rumour has an absolutely ridiculous source.

173. Corndog
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

what’s so ridiculous about the source?

174. Knurk
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Corndog,
    it’s from hearsay after a one-nightstand. Ridiculous is maybe wrongly phrased, but as I said in my first comment on it: as far as rumours go, this is not the most trustworthy source out there.

175. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Ok say even better If not Brandon how about Lord Rickard himself! Moyer is the correct age at 40 to have an older teenage or young 20 something son. Its even better for the cameo one shot. I don’t know, there is just something ironic about seeing Stephen Moyer burned alive on another show when so many of his TB detractors will probably never get to see it on his main series.

176. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

nm figured it out. Sorry

177. userj
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

You seem a leeeetle obsessed with the fact that there was sex involved. If it had been the case that someone had stumbled upon the set and just had a CONVERSATION with someone working on the show and hearing that SM was there, would you be as upset? I think not. It’s like being pissed off about that photography blogger from way back.

178. Elizabeth
    Posted October 9, 2010 at 12:38 am | Permalink

izakmo,

Yes, Stephen Moyer is a Brit and it was convenient for him, if rumour is true, to film in Malta as he was on his honeymoon with his lovely wife Anna, in Italy.

179. coltaine777
    Posted October 9, 2010 at 1:55 am | Permalink

Can’t believe I missed it on Westeros

180. DH87
    Posted October 9, 2010 at 3:09 am | Permalink

Lord Ned’s Head,

Don’t get my hopes up re: possible fate of Moyer’s character on GOT. I’d hit rewind on that scene fifty times. I already have a Bill/Moyer voodoo doll (fans of the show will know why) that gets pins lovingly placed in it pretty regularly. In fact, there are plenty of roles that could lead Moyer to an untimely end. I’m beginning to think this could be a win for us Moyerhaters!