Reactions to the trailer
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

We’re 18 hours removed from when HBO unveiled the latest trailer (one might call it the first real trailer) for Game Of Thrones. As you might imagine, this trailer has caused much more reaction amongst the mainstream media and general public than the previous two, mostly fan-service, teasers. A sample of some of what they are saying:

HBO stumbled a little this fall with their much ballyhooed but ultimately underwhelming Boardwalk Empire, meant to be the new jewel to fit into the Sopranos-sized hole in the crown, but in Thrones they might have a second chance at recapturing old must-see-TV glory.
Richard Lawson, Gawker

This minute-long trailer looks very promising, focusing on provincial nobleman Ned Stark, the character through whom the audience initially encounters the story’s intrigues. And to my eye it has the right dirty, lived in look for a series that will challenge some viewers’ ideas of what fantasy looks like on the screen—more swords than sorcery, played out in a society where magic is mostly a legacy of the distant past. (Or so its people believe.)
James Poniewozik, Time Magazine

A new trailer for Game of Thrones, HBO’s adaptation of George R.R. Martin’s best-selling series, has hit, and whether or not you’re familiar with the tome, it looks intriguing.
Mandi Bierly, Entertainment Weekly

Winter is coming, and we have never been more excited to freeze our butts off. If you were watching HBO’s “Boardwalk Empire” last night, you were already treated to these two awesome sneak peeks at “Game of Thrones” but if you missed them then grab some tissues because you’re about to drool all over yourself. Can you handle the Dinklage?
Terri Schwartz, MTV.com

With both “Boardwalk Empire” and “The Walking Dead” ending their respective seasons this Sunday, what’s a cable-series junkie left to watch? The answer: HBO’s “Game of Thrones,” which debuts in 2011.
Wall Street Journal

Nerd alert overdrive! HBO has released a new teaser trailer for Game of Thrones, and I am totally on board. The drama is based on the adult fantasy series from renowned author George R.R. Martin, and makes The Lord of the Rings look like a pillow fight between 40-pound toddlers.
Tim Surette, TV.com

For my money, HBO is the best producer of original programming out there right now. While their hit-to-miss ratio might not be as good as AMC’s (which has managed to go 3.5 for 4, earning the second seating after NBC), they have the advantage of time and more shows under their belt. However, the one thing HBO hasn’t tackled yet is the fantasy genre. And it looks like Game of Thrones is their answer to that.
Sam Morgan, Hollywood.com

In recent weeks we’ve been getting our first tastes of what the HBO series will bring to the table, and while I’ve remained skeptical that it could be done justice, I have to admit what’s been shown so far is promising. Images of Peter Dinklage as Tyrion are pure perfection. Now we have the second trailer for the series from HBO, giving us a clearer look at what this fantasy epic is all about.

You can watch the trailer for yourself below. Then marvel at how this is shaping up to be to television fantasy what Lord of the Rings was to film.
Steve West, Television Blend

1. BlueCanary
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Can you handle the Dinklage?

No. No, you cannot.

2. Diriad
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Yeah, well said guys :D

3. Jonathan Leard
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

I’m glad I’m not the only person who found Boardwalk completely underwhelming. I don’t think there’s enough there in the new teaser to really inform potential viewers, but I think it’s a well-constructed trailer for fans who are being teased with the greatness to come.

4. alan777
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

This will be my new TV crack. I think I have watched the new trailer around 30 times….. O.o

5. Gmoney84
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

I’ve rather enjoyed Boardwalk Empire thus far but GoT is going to make it look like an episode of The Jersey Shore. Can’t wait to see some real life Direwolf action. FOR WINTERFELL!!!

6. Brad
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Gmoney84,

HOT PIE!!

7. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

8. MWads
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Can you handle the Dinklage? Beautiful.
    Now I don’t know what to think. I usually shy away (read: run like hell) from anything the people from MTV tell me to watch.
    Seriously though, it’s cool that theyre actually getting behind the show despite being the pop-culture whores that they are. Maybe some of these Twilight fanatics will wake up and actually enjoy a compelling story. And hey, they still get to pick their teams with GoT as well.
    And a somewhat promising review from Time Magazine is nothing to sneeze at either.

9. Missentity
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Brad,

HALF MAN!!!

I dunno if I will be able to handle the awesomeness that is Peter Dinklage as Tyrion.

10. dizzy_34
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Lord Ned’s Head: I think James Poniewozick has done the best job of accurately describing the series that I have seen so far in the general media.And while BE may be underwhelming in terms of the buzz its gotten, anyone who has actually watched the series should know how fantastic it is. I don’t think it will do the job of garnering new subscriptions for HBO that GoT might, but after all is said and done, if HBO can execute Thrones anywhere near as well as they did BE, they should be hugely commended. I’m the first fanboi in line for the GoT Kool-Aid stand, and I didn’t even really care all that much about BE until after I started watching a few episodes, but imo GoT will have its work cut out for it if it wants to match BE in craft. So far the signs I have seen are surprisingly pleasing!  Quote  Reply

While I like BE as well. I think GOT will be much more captivating TV than BE. Plus Van Alden going off the deep end better have some consequences or I’ll be really dissapointed in where their going with that character.

11. DigDoug
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Permalink
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

DigDoug,

Thanks for the heads up. Updated the post with more reactions from around the web.

13. Marc
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Unfortunately, it seems like not everybody likes the trailer :(

This trailer doesn’t quite get that across, and watching it I feel like the footage is curiously and worryingly a bit flat.

It worries me that this comes from somebody who hasn’t read the books…

14. Marc
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Why does the formatted link not show up? Sorry!

Posted November 29, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Marc,

You have to wrap the tags around some text. Like so.

Alternately, just posting the straight URL will automatically turn it into a live link (as you can see).

16. marzman
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

I love the pillow fight comparison. Best way to compare GoT with LOTR ever!!!

17. hannah
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

I started watching Boardwalk Empire because of all the teasers they showed for it during True Blood. It has not disappointed me so far. I don’t think HBO has pushed GoT anywhere near as hard during Boardwalk Empire, probably because it doesn’t begin airing for a few months.

I am curious though, why is True Blood not considered an HBO fantasy show? I’m not sure what else you’d call it.

18. Clanglee
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Hmmm. . . I have been loving Boardwalk, and did not find it underwhelming in the least. But it is so nice to see more positive reaction to the ad. So happy with what I have seen so far, and it’s nice to know tat others are too.

19. Maxwell James
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

My two cents: it was a damn good trailer.

20. Jamie
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James: My two cents: it was a damn good trailer.But – it’s also time for HBO to stop releasing anything that has not yet been through complete post-production. Even if that slows down the pipeline. People who are not uber-fans are beginning to pay attention, and so everything they release from here on out needs to look its best.

agreed 100%

21. Nicole
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

I think that the biggest difficulty that HBO has to overcome is how to market and develop this addictive story, with all its shock value, without completely confusing the non-reader. I think they have done a good job with that so far, although it may frustrate some of us and leave some things to be desired for non-readers. Bottom line is that this is a show you will have to watch from begining to end for it to make the impact we all expect. There are too many characters and storylines to do anything otherwise.

22. Nicole
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Oh, and I’ve seen a few episodes of BE, and, compared to Thrones, it’s a snooze.

What do they know of fear? . . . . fear is for the winter. . .

23. DH87
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

hannah,

True Blood is considered a fantasy series by the book series author, Charlaine Harris, and the show runner, Alan Ball. Ms. Harris noted specifically the achievement of TB getting a Best Drama series Emmy nomination in 2010 as a first for the fantasy genre. The books are also marketed as mysteries by their publisher, however.
    The only rationale for Sam Morgan’s comment, however, is that he must consider a series about southern American towns invaded by vampires and werewolves to be “reality.”

24. Ellen
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Awesome that this is getting around various corners of the web. It’s so disappointing that Aint it Cool hasn’t mentioned it. They used to be my go-to site for genre info, but they way they’ve ignored this show, giving it fleeting, half-hearted mentions at best, has really turned me off. They’ve always ignored anything literary or female focused though, so I shouldn’t really be surprised. (GoT being the former, and, actually, the later. The female members of this fandom are considerable.)

25. Marilyn Bones
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Can we just give Dinklage the Emmy now?

26. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

DH87,

Well, to be fair, they are two quite distinct sub-genres of fantasy. He may also be considering it moreso horror, which is often thought of separately from fantasy (even though I think most horror is usually also fantasy).

27. Caedes
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

All this fuss for a 60-seconds trailer… what can we get next weel after the 15-minutes special?

I think that selling the series is almost as important as doing the original justice. If lots of people, inluding non-fantasy fans, does not watch it, it is doomed to an early death.

28. DH87
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Steve Hugh Westenra,

Point taken: yes, he may consider vampires part of the horror genre (with zombies, etc.).

Posted November 29, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Ellen: Awesome that this is getting around various corners of the web. It’s so disappointing that Aint it Cool hasn’t mentioned it.They used to be my go-to site for genre info, but they way they’ve ignored this show, giving it fleeting, half-hearted mentions at best, has really turned me off.They’ve always ignored anything literary or female focused though, so I shouldn’t really be surprised. (GoT being the former, and, actually, the later.The female members of this fandom are considerable.)

I agree, AICN seems pretty lame. They’re quick to review even the shittiest of comic book movies, but their mentions of GOT have been “half-hearted” as you say. They’re also really late, usually posting stories way behind everyone else. I expect something about GOT soon, but let’s not hold our breath.

30. Martin
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Firstly I should make it clear that I love the trailers and obviously can’t wait until 2011, but…..

I showed the trailer to a lot of my friends to whom I have been babbling non-stop about the series, enough to really pique their interest. For most of them, this was the first that they have seen of it, although some had picked up a few of the ‘making of’ vid links that I had sent them. None had read the books.

Despite the fact that they were pretty well all interested in my descriptions of what was coming, their response to the trailer has been disappointingly lacklustre – generally they thought it looked ‘OK’ although quite ‘fantasyish’, more like a ‘cheap fantasy film’ – one even compared it to ‘Krull’ in look and feel (possibly the most damning indicment) (phrases in quotes were theirs)

Hopefully this is just a response to a short trailer for something that I had probably been guilty of over-hyping to them.

Also, I think the baggage of ‘fantasy’ tainted both expectations and their perception – and I think it will be a potential obstacle in the way of large scale success for the series.

We all know there is enough there in the plots and characters to grip viewers and draw them in – I just really hope that it does so.

My friends’ comments have just doused me with a dose of pessimism perhaps.

Martin

31. Julian
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

I just hope that the marketing for this show won’t be like Boardwalk Empire….some people were unable to enjoy BE because they felt it was overhyped…might have been the marketing, the star power attatched (Buscemi as the lead, Scorsese as pilot director) and the talent behind the camera (Terrence Winter, veteran writer for the Sopranos). I want GOT to be kinda low key with its advertisements, then hopefully word of mouth would spread after the pilot airs. But it seems the hype machine is is ready to run…I just don’t want folks to be “underwhelmed” by GOT like some were with BE.

32. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Love the trailer! My only concern are the !!eyes!! I mean u MUST have purple eyes on Daenerys. They will fix that in post-production, won’t they? Tell me they will! (sounding a bit like a maniac here but that is the only thing that is really missing here, and I don’t want the show to be missing ANYTHING. They did such a good job till now and that little-huge detail would bug me through the show)

33. Bobben
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

To be honest, I’m not really that impressed with this short trailer. I am a huge fan of the books, and I’m pretty sure the tv series will rock, but I had quite a hard time figuring out what was going on. And that old Nan voice felt so typically american movie trailerish. I figure the uninitiated wont make much out of it either. A bunch of men swinging swords wont draw a big crowd. It will just make people think of Legend of the Seeker. However, I am quite confident things will change when HBO launches a more extensive promotional campaign. And it’s quite encouraging to see a lot of positive responses from the mainstream media. That is probably more important than this specific trailer itself.

34. Joakim
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Martin,
    I share your friends’ view of the trailer. This series was the first fantasy literature I read (though I prefer to call it an epic story with some elements of fantasy). I try not to use the f-word when describing it to friends, as that would give them a wrong impression. People who haven’t read fantasy only know of shows like Legend of the Seeker or Xena, and might not even think of Lord of the Rings as “fantasy” (I didn’t).

Unfortunately, I feel that there is a bit too much “fantasy” in the teaser trailer. There was a lot of stuff in a very short time. Sword fights, big exotic looking guy, hot girl-on-girl action, dwarf, hore on dwarf… One moment it was Lord of the Rings cinematic qualities, the next was what Martin’s friends described as “cheap fantasy film”. I can see why some don’t know quite what to make of it, and the “cheap fantasy” impression is unfortunately what sticks.

The parts from the north looked amazing though, the atmosphere there was spot on! If it was up to me I’d focus on the north for the promotional material, as that’s where the viewers will be introduced to the story. The fact that it looks a bit like Lord of the Rings is not a bad thing.

35. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

Personally, I think people who are skeptical about the fantasy elements will probably at least be curious enough to watch the pilot, and once they’ve done that I think (hope!) it will be pretty clear that this is very good fantasy.
    I’m also starting to wish people would stop excusing its fantasy elements. I mean, yes, when you’re trying to sell it to someone who really doesn’t like fantasy at all then it’s sensible to focus on other qualities of the series, but that doesn’t stop it from being a fantasy novel or show, and I don’t think it should be advertised as “not being fantasy” (which it hasn’t been, given that that is brought up a few times in the production videos and artisans clips).

Also, I’m not sure that I agree that sword-fighting , sex and cultural diversity mark it out as fantasy (they could all fit just as well into historical drama, etc). I get the association between them, certainly, but none of those things are explicitly fantastical, just as not all fantasy contains those things.

36. sjwenings
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Trying to look at the trailer objectively, i thought the beginning had a great mood, and the conversation between Ned and Bran is quite simple and “catchy”.

But other than that… Honestly, it’s really just a bunch of lines that don’t really make any sense or just doesn’t mean much. And people swinging swords. It does not tell us what the hell this is all about, and theres nothing really… special… happening here.

That said, its just a teaser. And the first time i saw it, it did not really speak to me. I was mostly like “sure, that was…nice”. After the next few viewings, i thought it was awesome, because i know the story and characters, but the casual viewer will probably only watch it once and go “sure, that was.. nice” like me. And i’m a fan.

Since theres nothing “special” or unique happening here, it will quite naturally come off as “some fantasy show”. The lack of sorcerers throwing fireballs, is not enough.

Really, GOT should have like a 10 minute long trailer to give people the right idea about this show. But at least a well thought-out 2-3 minute long trailer might do the trick. But focus on the story – not guys swinging swords. Everyone expects there to be swordfighting in this type of show – it’s not very exiting.

Now instead of that:

A brother selling his sister like some slave in order to win back his kingdom. A young man going off to serve the kingdom in the company of rapers with a huge ice wall as a backdrop. The queen – murdered the previous hand who the main character will replace? A little boy demanding a dwarf be thrown out the window? Thats cathcy!

37. Vellaen
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Martin,

Oddly enough, the reactions from the people I’ve shown it to have been the exact opposite. They’ve been fairly impressed by the trailer, even when I didn’t expect them to get much from it. I’ve gotten replies ranging from “I think I’m gonna like it” to “And that’s why I still pay for HBO.”

None of them has read the books, so I’ve held off sending things like the production videos (which I don’t think non-fans will get much out of). But one co-worker, to whom I hadn’t even mentioned the series to before today, was perhaps the most impressed of all. I sent her the link, no explanation or preface, and her reply was “oh my lord, that looks epic.” She loved the dark tone and the medieval-but-not-fantasy vibe, but the biggest selling point perhaps was that she’s just a huge HBO fan. I think that bodes well.

38. Maxwell James
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Martin,

39. Clanglee
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

Wow. . I am actually a little taken aback by the amount of negative backlash this teaser is receiving on here. I think you guys are worrying too much. This show is going to do just fine. . .if not great. And Joakim, I am confused by your definition of “fantasy” I guess. Sex and swords sounds more like the Tudors than Lord of the Rings to me.

40. Sleeky
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Bobben: To be honest, I’m not really that impressed with this short trailer. I am a huge fan of the books, and I’m pretty sure the tv series will rock, but I had quite a hard time figuring out what was going on. And that old Nan voice felt so typically american movie trailerish. I figure the uninitiated wont make much out of it either. A bunch of men swinging swords wont draw a big crowd. It will just make people think of Legend of the Seeker.

I’m not directing this at you specifically Bobben, but to everyone in this thread who is displeased with this short trailer.

Here is the scenario: HBO has decided to had over to you what has been filmed thus far. You have available to you material currently in production and post-production.

Please describe specifically and in detail what you would create in that 1 min trailer.

41. alan777
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James: Martin,
    That’s exactly it. At this point, I think HBO has done everything they can to get the fanbase excited, and that’s important. But at most it’s going to mean what – 300,000 viewers? Even that number seems too large to me, and it’s just a small fraction of what it will take to make the show successful.They’re simply at the point where they have to begin marketing to the next segments, which I think are a) people who watch HBO generally, b) people who are into historical dramas like the Tudors, and c) people who get into the next “hip” thing on TV, whether it’s Mad Men, the Walking Dead, or what have you.That said, the single most important thing they can do in terms of marketing is make sure the show is very, very good. If it’s good enough, I think they’ll get the viewers. That’s why releasing anything that is not top-notch is a mistake at this point.

“A Song of Fire and Ice” overall, the series has sold more than 3.5 million copies in the USA and more than 7 million worldwide. So if even a third of those are people who bought the books then that is approximately 1.16 MILLION people. Not 300,000. Then add to that a couple million more around the world. Yeah, that is over 3 million people watching. I think the series is safe to say the least.

42. dizzy_34
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Geesh guys even my fantasy skeptic wife didn’t meh that trailer. With the mostly positive reaction from the trailer I’m willing to bet that HBO is softening you naysayers up for the big punches like seeing full images of the castles, the wall, the iron throne, and perhaps the Others.

43. Chris
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

First, anyone who says this trailer reminds them of Xena or Krull(really??) I can’t take seriously. I’m not even being defensive or anything, that’s just a statement I don’t think holds any merit.

Second, this is very clearly a TEASER and not a TRAILER. Teasers are almost always directed towards existing fans and it wouldn’t surprise me if someone who knows nothing about the books doesn’t get much out of it. While more substantial than the last teasers, it’s still just 3 lines of dialogue, a cryptic voice over and a series of quite shots geared towards people who already know what the hell is going on.

Third, it’s amazing to look at the list of articles posted and see EW, TIME, MTV, Wall Street Journal, Gawker, etc. Those aren’t genre blogs or anything, those are major, mainstream publications… all being pretty generous with their excitement and praise. I really think that if GoT turns out to be good, it’s going to have no problem having some success.

44. gudula
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Marc,

Sadly, I think they are quite right. We, fans of the books, are entranced by the trailer, but the truth is the footage looks cheap. The clothes look cheap, the wigs look cheap and incredibly fake, the sets look as if made out of papier mâché (specially Kingslanding) and the filming looks flat.
    I hope they still have some work to do at post-production because otherwise I’m not so sure of the success of the series.

45. Josh Parker
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

I find the statement that it looks too “fantasyish” to be laughable. If I knew nothing about the books, hadn’t looked into the series, and then watched this trailer fresh, my first thought would be “That looks like a new historical drama, sort of like The Pillars of the Earth”, and then when I saw that it was based on novels, I’d probably head to my bookstore and look around in the “Historical Fiction” or “General Fiction” sections.

46. SJGIM
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

All of the people I have shown have enjoyed the trailer, admittedly most of those people are already fantasy fans.

As for what True Blood is, several books and shows that have “modern day” settings with supernatural elements are put under Science Fiction as opposed to Fantasy, and that may also be a reason for him distinguishing between True Blood and a fantasy.

I am also tired of people downplaying the fantasy element. It is a dark and very intricate fantasy, but that does not make it any less fantasy. It has copious amounts of dragons, magical swords(in that they have abilities beyond that of a regular sword), mystical beings (the Others anyone), to only name a few of the earliest mentioned or seen ones. Any viewer that can’t stand something like that is still not going to be happy when they are brought in in ever increasing quantities later on in the show. Furthermore, I would like to think that there are many that would be drawn to the show because it is HBO doing a fantasy.
    Joakim,

In my experience anyone who doesn’t pay attention to fantasy would know and recognize Lord of the Rings before they think of (if they even know what Xena is) either of the other two, then again I am in college talking to ages 18-24 for the most part, and most of their parents probably wouldn’t have let them watch Xena at the age they would have been during the shows initial airing.(Thank god for reruns, it may be cheesy and contrived most of the time, but I love that show.)

47. LordBeric
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

While I thoroughly enjoyed this trailer (finally!), I still think I’ll get chilled to the bone (and I think HBO will be able to gather MUCH more curiosity) when they release another trailer with a perfectly placed voice-over (or quick scene) of Cersei saying, “When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground.” Maybe with Ned in front of the hostile King’s Landing crowd, so as not to give too big a spoiler. I think THAT is what the show and books are truly about. Am I right?

48. Josh Parker
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

On another note, this has to be the umpteenth major project based on material near and dear to my heart that I’ve watched fans worry over only to have their worries totally destroyed by the finished product. Fans worried over every aspect of The Lord of the Rings, not to mention the most recent Star Trek movie. In the end, while neither was perfect, neither was anywhere near as bad as the fans were worried about during production.

Any LOTR fan who even briefly glanced at ringbearer.org or theonering.net during the filming of the trilogy will recall the hand-wringing going on over the casting of Liv Tyler and the expanded role for Arwen. Nicknames like Xenarwen and Jar-Jarwen began circulating. Fans were all but certain that she would ruin the entire film series. Admittedly, I had concerns about her going to Helm’s Deep, but that idea was removed. It went beyond the Arwen controversy, however; the fans cried fowl over every casting decision that didn’t stack up with what they’d always imagined. Viggo Mortensen was too pretty to be Aragorn. Elijah Wood was too young for Frodo. Agent Smith can’t be Elrond. Cate Blanchett is too ugly to be Galadriel. Why didn’t they cast an actual dwarf to play Gimli. And on, and on, and on.

And yet it was perhaps the best adaptation of a classic novel I’ve ever seen, and certainly far better than it had any right to be, considering how often Hollywood breaks what it touches. (Then again, this was only a “Hollywood” movie if you count that it was distributed by New Line. Peter Jackson was able to make these movies by working completely outside the Hollywood system. He took their money and then headed for New Zealand to make the movies he wanted to make, using an in-house production crew, local effects crew, etc., and therefore beat Hollywood at its own game. Any other director would have taken the Weinstein Bros. suggestions, compiled the story into a single film, made Sam a girl (and Frodo’s love interest), used ILM to do the effects and produced something that looked like Star Wars with dragons, etc.)

My point is, why do fans always worry? Oh, sure, we’ve been let down before, but it’s usually obvious from the word go. I mean, the minute I realized the Narnia movies would suck was when Disney took over. The minute I realized that the new Conan movie was going to suck was when they announced the director. The minute I realized the new Superman movie was going to suck was when they started talking about casting a spindly little puke as Clark Kent and giving him CGI muscles when he turns into Superman.

I’ve gotten no such bad vibes from this production. Every aspect conveys a sense that the creators of this series love the books and want to do right by it. The whiners who continually hate on this mainly seem to be upset that it’s changing even minor stuff, or that the actors, make-up and hair designs, costume designs, etc. don’t match their mental images exactly. I never expected they would. LOTR didn’t follow the books line for line, and in fact made a few sweeping changes. It still rocked. Perfect? No, but damn good. Worth every Oscar it won, and deserving of a few more. Same with the recent Star Trek film. Perfect? Far from, but much, much better than anything that franchise had put out in the decade previous.

49. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Just to clarify, I certainly hope that the GoT crew pulls off a creative masterpiece that blows BE out of the water. I just don’t realistically expect it to. The production quality from set design, to dialogue writing to episode pacing, to plot twists, to unbelievable acting from the cast is all just incerdibly top notch. Even the soundtrack is superb.
    Thrones has a ton of potential, but to execute such a massive undertaking to the level of a much smaller in scope BE is going to be difficult if not impossible. BE is often very subtle in its execution. Its highs aren’t usually the shocking OMGs of other HBO shows like Sopranos and Rome. What they are though is very thought and emotion provoking. Characters like Chalky White and Richard Harrow, not to mention a budding young Al Capone come off feeling very real to me while at the same time being immensely interesting. Thrones large cast is going to have its work cut out for it matching the acting chops of the BE emsemble.
    But hey! I am rooting for it. I’m just not sure it can be done. The nice thing though is that what little we have seen so far is extremely encouraging! Westeros in the television fits Westeros in my minds eye very closely so far. Its quite obvious that D&D and troupe have done everything in their power to make the show the right way.
    Thrones also has another hurdle in addition to its epic scale that BE isn’t fettered with. There is a huge contigent of fans who are all going to have opinions about the way every little minute detail is portayed in GoT. BE is much more freeform in its ability to generate plotlines more organically. IMO this makes it much easy for BE to achieve success creatively.
    To conclude, while I am dubious about GoT being able to match the creative quality of BE across the board, I am certainly blown away by the released material so far, and no one wants GoT to surpass BE in appearance more than I do. I hope they can pull it off!

50. Katrina Miller
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Just spotted this on yourtv.com.au

The series will premiere in the US in early 2011.

It’s not a lot, but I’m just surprised to even see a mention of it over here!

51. Josh Parker
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

Katrina Miller: Just spotted this on yourtv.com.auThe next True Blood? Sneak peek at HBO’s sexy, violent new series Game of Thrones Girl-on-girl sex. Blond, bare-chested warriors. Heads gruesomely cut off with swords. Yep, Game of Thrones — the next big show produced by US pay TV network HBO — is probably going to be massive.Based on George R. R. Martin’s best-selling novels, Game of Thrones is a medieval fantasy that’ll depict the epic struggle for some calling “the Iron Throne”. Dubbed “The Sopranos in Middle-earth” by its co-creator David Benioff, Game of Thrones’s sprawling cast includes the likes of Sean Bean, Lena Headey and Peter Dinklage.The series will premiere in the US in early 2011.http://www.yourtv.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=745961&showcomments=trueIt’s not a lot, but I’m just surprised to even see a mention of it over here!  Quote  Reply

Wow. What a horrible write-up. Sometimes the fanboy in me would rather see no press than such pandering lunacy from someone who seems to not even have a passing familiarity with the books.

I am, however, happy to hear that we’ll see Doreah…uhm…training Dany. Sorry to be a typical male pig about it, but hey, it’s hot.

52. obsidian
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

Wow….I think there’s a reality check needed here. No, it looks nothing like Krull or Xena.
    It may never look like it’s had the millions upon millions LoTR had poured into it, but I felt a lot of things were overdone there ( size of battles, etc.), besides some cheesy dialogue and characters being changed.
    If the dialogue is good, the acting is good ,I think the greatest hurdles will be overcome. However much is spent on FX will be wasted if the characters don’t involve people..but fascinating characters and fine acting will make up for any small complaints about the look. I stress small, because I think most complaints so far, are fairly nit-picky.
    They can’t go too far wrong, because it is fantasy..they have much more leeway, and what we’ve seen in the clips so far , looks pretty good.. practical, clothes one could live in, yada ,yada. In this trailer,the one thing that outright says “fantasy” (in any way , pro or con ) might be Dany and Drogo ,and they appear so briefly, I don’t think they’d put any but the most passionate fantasy avoiders off .
    One of my incarnations in this lifetime has been as a papier mache artist. The sets don’t look like it to me. And let’s not be forgetting the post production wonders HBO has already achieved on other shows.

Not time to push the panic button.

53. paulgude
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

Well said.

The other thing I keep in the back of my mind is that it’s still too early to be worried that there aren’t more non-book converts to the show. I’m reminded of when I first started watching “The Wire” with my wife. I bought them sight unseen from Amazon.com because it was ridiculously reduced.

We were on episode three before we REALLY started to see why people said it was one of the best series ever. I think the hype will get eyes on Game of Thrones and the first episode will get a large audience, but I think a lot of viewers will be simply “giving it a shot” until it gets rolling. That’s when we’ll see what happens.

The “spoiler” issues with Entertainment Weekly made me realize that as much as I thought I had an open mind about this, I still forget that the experience of the non-reader is going to be vastly different from mine. They won’t discover things at the same rate I did, and some things they won’t see at all.

Despite this, there are people will who identify as “huge Game of Thrones fans” who have never and will never read the books. With that in mind, they really won’t start showing up until there’s actually a show to watch. Up until then, these things exist to make sure they recognize the show when the larger trailers start showing up.

54. DH87
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 12:10 am | Permalink

paulgude,

The non-book viewer will make his mind up pretty quickly and on many levels will be more easily satisfied, of course. He/she will want convincing, satisfying relationships, believable exteriors, unexpected twists and turns, and a narrative that can be followed. We should not expect 5 million people to become rabid disciples—we simply want to them to tune in for ten consecutive weeks in order to be counted in the ratings. I didn’t see the leaked pilot, but I gather there is a prologue setting the stage for the drama; I hope it is repeated before every episode in S1 to bring in/bring along the folks who want to know what the heck is going on in the story itself. The folks who stick with the show will be either book fans, fantasy fans, or historical drama fans. If GOT pulls more than BE, it won’t have to reach TB levels to be renewed. Less than BE will be a problem; I believe BE’s second season will be its last. BE was overpromised and is too expensive to be sustainable. HBO will bail as soon as it can do so gracefully and look for something else that can deliver TB style numbers—Alan Ball is producing a new series right now.

55. Josh Parker
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 12:11 am | Permalink

One thing I keep in mind is that True Blood (which I consider horror/mystery, not fantasy) has had several changes from the books it was based upon, and many of its fans still love it. That, and some haven’t read the books and still love the show. I’ve only read the first book, which the first season of TB was reasonably faithful to, only expanding a few roles (Lafayette, Sherrif Dearborne), adding others (Tara, who doesn’t appear in the first book and is totally changed for the series, not to mention Eddie, Amy, etc.) and creating new plot threads to make it seem more like a series and less like a novel.

Just like LOTR, which I mentioned contained many changes, many of them sweeping, I think GoT has the potential to remain awesome even if there are numerous changes. Those whining over the color of Dany’s eyes, Tyrion being too handsome, the use of round shields, Arya being too pretty, etc. are missing the point entirely. They somehow thought a literal translation of the books was coming when no material ever has been adapted without a single change. Not to mention that if they didn’t give us at least a few changes, the show wouldn’t really work. Plus characters like Jaime, Robb, the Hound, Joffrey, etc. wouldn’t even be regular characters because they wouldn’t appear often enough.

And that’s just the first season. In the later seasons, major characters will disappear entirely. Jaime, Robb and Littlefinger are absent for a majority of ACoK, Robb’s battles are talked about rather than seen, and Sansa and Littlefinger have little to do in AFFC and apparently aren’t in ADwD at all. Does anyone think when we get to those seasons we aren’t going to see much of them?

56. paulgude
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 12:16 am | Permalink

DH87,

In the leaked script the only prologue is the prologue from the book, played out on screen. There’s no “summing up” of what’s going on except through the characters’ lines.

Still, though, HBO’s always been pretty good about using the right images and lines on the “previously on” segments. I was able to jump into episodes of Deadwood when visiting my wife’s family one summer with no explanations.

57. paulgude
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 12:27 am | Permalink

Josh Parker,

I used the idea of approaching this like historical fiction in the past, and it seems to be the track they’re following for the most part. They’re not completely removing events, but shifting focus.

If they keep it up, I expect things will go pretty much like you’ve laid out. We’ll see what the characters played by the main stars of the show were doing elsewhere while the events were being seen through the eyes of the POV characters.

58. Josh Parker
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 1:10 am | Permalink

paulgude,

Another thing to keep in mind is that often the POV characters do very little during their POV but sit and watch/listen while other characters play out the main action. Sansa and Arya are probably the prime examples of that, but it’s somewhat true of Catelyn, Davos and Dany early on as well.

Eddard, Tyrion, the Lannister Twins and Dany in later books are the most pro-active POV characters.

Posted November 30, 2010 at 1:12 am | Permalink

Wow… people are really grasping at straws, desperately trying to find things to complain about. I have my own nitpicks, but people saying it looks cheap, like paper mache, and that we should have had a 10 minute trailer… I think it’s time to wake up and return to reality!

60. Josh Parker
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 1:14 am | Permalink

I strongly doubt that it was ever a consideration that they would stick with the POV’s Martin established. That’s how Martin chose to present his story but it never had to be D&D’s method.

I for one am pumped to see more Littlefinger, more Jaime, more Varys, etc. than Book One gave us. I also hope to see more Tywin (one of the awesomest supporting characters there is) and hope they give him more to do in Season Two as well. There is little doubt they must expand the roles of Stannis, Davos and Melisandre. Look for Season Two to show us Stannis’s conversion to R’hllor from the beginning, to see a few scenes of Melisandre sharing his tent (likely gettin’ it on in order to birth her shadow children), and Davos’s travels to spread the word of Joffrey’s bastardy, etc.

61. coltaine777
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 2:15 am | Permalink

I’m assuming most of the footage shown in this trailer hasn’t undergone post production yet…it was a teaser…it looked great to me and the finished product will look even better…as for looking too ‘fantasy’ ?….gimme a break…fact is this won’t appeal to everyone’s taste…imo it doesn’t need to…enough ‘fans’ of quality tv will flock to this show to make it a success…it’s raw footage we are seeing…calm down…

62. theGodfarmer
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 2:29 am | Permalink

too… many… posts… Can’t… read… all…. So what I will say may already be covered :p

Some here say that the teasers have been very good for the people that know the books, and I totally agree! They have not said very much about the characters or the storyline. BUT! I think this is in HBOs planning for this show. We need to remember that a committed fanbase is on of the best advertisments ever. An by slipping out these teaser they keep the fanbase going, they get the buzz on to friends and such. If they had posted bigger and more intricate storycovering trailers early they would sure get a bigger non-fanbase buzz also but maybe to early. People that do not “know” the series would maybe lose their interest before the show aired.

So what are now? Well, we as the “fanbase” have been given small clips, stills and such. And look at how we go on! They know now at HBO that they got us covered, that we probably have been nagging all our friends (and foes) about this series, and then they will release a bigger more story-revealing trailer. And since it ain’t that long(??!!??) until the series is aired the buzz from it will keep the non-fanbase interested.

At least my 5-øre (norwegian 2cent :p )

63. paulgude
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 3:49 am | Permalink

Josh Parker,

I agree.

For me, the more scenes we see that are additions to those found in the books the better.

64. paulgude
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 3:52 am | Permalink

I asked a friend of mine on Twitter who hasn’t read the books if the trailer had made him interested to see the rest of the series. He responded:

“Yeah. It didn’t give away plot, but I like the setting and style. Definitely looking forward to it.”

65. Caedes
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 6:10 am | Permalink

I put here my translation of Albert0 Rey’s blog “Asesino en Serie” in El Mundo.net.

Winter is Coming. But we’ll have to wait until spring 2011 to see “Game of Thrones”, the most anticipated show of the year. For now, we’ll have to with the constant leaking of stills and promo videos (or made by really inspired fans, like that marvellous fake mash –up trailer) that we are used to. As usual, too, we’re at risk of overhype things with even less material. There will be the day that we’ll rejoice and feast with only the rumour of a rumour of a rumour of the opening credits of the buying rights on a cool novel. (…)
    It’s supposed that “Game of thrones” will be good, very good. It can’t be otherwise. It’s clear that HBO wants to break some records with it and make more noise than anybody else. The network’s production are more and more outstanding and overwhelming each time. From “The Pacific” to “Boardwalk Empire” and from here to “Game of Thrones”. Not only going up in spectacularity and baroque (of the good kind), but also in mass market attention. The new “Spatacus” and Jeremy Irons’ “Borgias” prove that period productions, flamboyant and haughty are more “in” than ever. “Game of Thrones” also has the HBO seal, this is, it comes wrapped in the most prestigious TV boutique paper, the number one.
    There are some that “Boardwalk Empire” has been underwhelming. It stands to reason. The expectations were so high that more than one expected to see an hour-long “Godfather” in each episode, which is utterly impossible. “Game of Thrones” has probably twice the expectation than Buscemi’s series. The fans of the book (counted by millions) are eagerly expecting it, HBO addicts are rubbing hands and the throngs of the pseudo-historical-fantasic-epic-medieval genre are sure they’re gonna get, at last, THEIR series, THE series. There’s not a single benchmark, but many, and they’re all set really high
    It has to be good, yes or yes, because we’re got to have even suicides otherwise. Indeed, the for now last trailer looks Amazing. (…)

66. Mormegil
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 6:15 am | Permalink

coltaine777: I’m assuming most of the footage shown in this trailer hasn’t undergone post production yet…it was a teaser…;Quote  Reply

I would have thought that all the footage has been through post production. Just look at the colour palette.

The difference between the stark colours of the North and the (possibly too) vibrant colours of Pentos (with KL somewhere in between) is obviously something done in post production.

On another subject given the weather in Ireland at the moment I bet the production crew is wishing they left more scenes North of the Wall to be filmed rather than the snow free Whispering Wood and Green Fork locations. :)

67. Rune
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 6:41 am | Permalink

I love the trailer and have at least 4 friends hooked by showing it to them. None of which have read the books. :)

By the way, while browsing around for danish mentions on A Game of Thrones, I found an interview with Nicolaj. It’s a year old, but I still thought it might be interesting for people. Here’s the translated interview: Nicolaj

68. Covenant
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 7:03 am | Permalink

The trailer being commented at blaster.com

69. Martin
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 7:06 am | Permalink

Mormegil,

I would agree, if they are trying to attract viewers, they would only put out a PP finished product. It would be different for the ‘making of’ series, you could put some raw footage out as part of that (as they have already done) – I guess there may still be room for tweaking some PP, especially with the types of filters they can easily apply now – but IMO this is pretty close to the final reel.

Upon viweing it multiple times – one thing does stand out for me as jarring in relation to my imaginings from the book – and that is Drogo – in that clip he does have the look of a pantomime genie from Aladin and not that of a fiercesome warrior – I think it is the combination of that beard plus overdone eyeliner.

That is just nit-picking from me really, as I have said already, for me the trailer does what it says on the tin – still have a few concerns over grabbing enough viewers but that is the glass-half-empty in me coming out.

Martin

70. Covenant
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 7:51 am | Permalink

I enjoyed the trailer as a reader, but Im not sure how it looks to others.

Werent the cuts between the scenes a bit quick and much of the speaking a bit blurry?

I have watched it perhaps ten times and looked at all the stills, but how about someone who watched it once on TV?

I would have liked it to be a bit slower in pace for others sake, but then again this was only a short teaser. I suppose it is coming.

What I am still waiting for myself are the supernatural parts of which there are many in season one.
    Direwolves, Valyrian steel, Heart trees, Dragoneggs, Purple eyes, Others and Dragons.

I have always been a devoted reader of fantasy litterature but the older I get fewer and fewer authors manage to pass my scrutiny.
    Much of it seems very childish to me.
    I love George RR Martin for again making me believe in dragons.

The psychology of George’s characters are so real to me. Not necessarily very deep but very naked and raw and thus believable. The interacting between people is genuine and he describes his world in ways that makes it spring to life.
    This is the reason HBO bought the concept I think.

Now what makes Georges achievment great is that into this world he also brings the supernatural. Fairytale stuff. But he does it so very subtle and matter-of-fact that you as a reader almost doesnt notice.

You read and you believe.
    Now this has gone from book to HBO and it is time to see and to believe.

As said by others I think it is a shame that they show “raw” footage, hopefully “raw” footage, without the shine of valyrian steel or the cooling gaze of purple eyes.
    It is now a quick glint of those eyes would sell and get people hooked. “What the hell was that? Did you see? Purple eyes, whatthefuck!”

Of all the things Ive mentioned earlier we have seen three; Valyrian eyes, Valyrian steel and Direwolf.
    Or should I say regular eyes, regular steel and a regular dog?
    Talking of underwhelming….

71. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 7:53 am | Permalink

Joakim: Joak

I don’t really get your point as all the specific points you mention have been seen in a ton of non-fantasy films and series. I don’t get the ‘cheap’ fantasy bit either since it’s to me very obviously done on a good budget. By these complaints Rome was also a cheap fantasy series.

That people might not get excited about it is nothing strange but the actual complaints you write just doesn’t fit in my view.

72. Bobben
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 7:54 am | Permalink

Sleeky: Your task is to create a 1 min trailer that you think will generate the greatest amount of interest to people who know nothing of the book series. You are not tasked with creating something that might in your mind more accurately create a better understanding of the series or the fictional world. You only have 1 min to work with. You are trying to create interest, not fandom.

Well, thats just the point. You can only do so much with a 1 min tailer. It wont really be that informative, will it? I guess that part of what i react to is that many seem to think this trailer is Gods gift to man. And I guess this is Gods gift to us fans, since we’re hyped and starved, but this trailer will not turn GoT into a global phenomenon. I know, no one has claimed that will happen, but with all the hype I still felt the need to bring a somewhat more down to earth reaction to the table. But after watching the trailer a few times it kinda grows on me, and I do agree that it sets a grim tone, which is very hopefull and clever, since it is exactly what I think needs to be revealed to the general HBO viewer to make the show attractive.

73. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 7:55 am | Permalink

Seems like the quote function didn’t work properly and no editing available… :)

74. Tysnow
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 8:01 am | Permalink

75. Entchen
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 8:01 am | Permalink
  76. Johan Sporre
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 8:15 am | Permalink
  77. Covenant
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 8:16 am | Permalink

Tysnow: This is a teaser not a trailer, that is why you still have some color pallete manipulation and very quick cuts, hence the confusion with eye and hair coloring, skin tone, etc. I am thinking with the release of this long teaser we may not get the full 3 min or so trailer till the premiere of Big Love in January.

Seems a bit unprofessional to screen an unfinished product. Okay if it were a behind-the-scenes thing then I would buy it.
    Could you imagine anyone releasing a teaser for a movie with some of the effects still to be added later?

78. Knurk
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 8:21 am | Permalink

And Empire has picked up the stills and trailers!

79. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Covenant,

There’s been plenty of movie teasers where scenes didn’t look exactly like in the final movie, or didn’t even make it to the movie at all.

Details like eye color and a sheen on a blade is also pretty irrelevant. The story is about the characters, those little fantasy elements hold little importance in comparison. I don’t expect them to add purple eyes in post production at all, for that matter.

80. Fire And Blood
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 8:25 am | Permalink

FaB Thoughts:

The beheading: I like the dull, cold grayness of the scene. I just think the north, unless you’re standing next to a fire, needs to have a certain lonely sort of grayness to it. And I love the first lines we ever hear Ned speak to Bran, who, by the way, seems spot-on. Good stuff, Isaac! I can see how people could think Ned could swing Ice just a bit more dramatically, but I don’t really think that’s in keeping with Ned’s character either; he’s just here to get the job done, and that sword, with its significant weight, does that. Theon’s hair is back to dark; didn’t bother me before when it was blond, doesn’t bother me now.

The music:Ohh, the music. It starts with something subtle and even menacing, though strangely tinged with what I felt was a sense of honor. And then the sword comes down. CHUNK! Synth and horn and drums climb … and do you feel that deep bass crunchy groove? Ohhhhhh yeah. It thrums, rumbles, like a thousand horses marching up a long road. And the violins and the horns and the drums keep climbing …

“Winter is coming.”

Banging drums end it.

Anyone recognize the song from anywhere? Or is it a GoT original? I wonder if that shit’s available for purchase. ‘Cause that is one badass little song. Throw that at my D&D group and see them scatter like pigeons before kobolds.

Old Nan: “My sweet summer child, what do you know about fear? Fear is for the long night, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep. Fear is for the winter.” And I can’t add much more to that. Love me some Old Nan. She creeped my daughter out, which is cool enough for me.

Drogo and Daenerys: I like the fact that they’re not sticking to canon with Drogo’s looks. He looks like a Greek God here. No, seriously, he looks like motherflargin’ Zeus. What I don’t like is Dany’s wig, but if I have to say that a thousand times (I may have said it 100 already), then I won’t have time for all the other praise I’m gonna give. From the brief clips we’ve seen of her, Emilia Clarke seems to me to be perfect for this role. We probably won’t even know if she really is until season three, but she seems to be hitting early Dany out of the ballpark. As to the eyes… look, if they had done even a halfway-decent job of making that wig look like her real hair, I may also lean toward suggesting they “purple up” her eyes. As it is, they didn’t, so I don’t trust ‘em. (And that’s probably the first time I’ve said that about the production.) Leave the eyes alone! I agree, a gray hue is fine for a Stormborn.

Jaime faces off against Ned: Like many, I had pictured this encounter at night, with wind, rain, lightning flashing… all drama’d-the-fuck-out. And it’s not, for whatever reason. Though if we look closer they do seem to be turning the wind machine up high, and I think I see some dampness on the ground, so maybe it’ll be a daytime rain. Maybe they’ll even darken it to dusk in post-production. I’ve seen that happen too. Jaime looks good. As someone else said, he looks Malcolm Reynolds good. He’s come to a fight—and he knows it’s gonna be a fight—unarmored and cocksure to the extreme. Because he’s Jaime Lannister, bitch, and your wife captured my baby brother.

Come on, who wants to start a Goldcoats fan movement? So his hair is a slightly darker blond. So is Tyrion’s. It also may be slightly wet.

Catelyn turns to Tyrion: Busted! Sucks to be… well, Tyrion, actually.

Dany and Doreah: As we had assumed, the previously mentioned “Doreah trains Dany in the art of the pillow dance” scene that GRRM hinted at will get to be viewed by all. Hey, make it tasteful, tender, slightly comical (“Now then… just pretend I am Khal Drogo…”) … and you could turn something potentially cheap and gratuitous into something that comes across as intimate and sweet. I for one would be very interested regarding poor Dany’s mindset prior to trying to actually please this Zeus.

Cersei and Ned:“You were trained to follow,” says Cersei in a deceptively offhanded tone (emasculating perhaps). I think this is but a taste of one of Cersei’s little mind-games, offhandedly reminding him of his low origin—so less a man than Brandon Stark, who by the way, you bumbling Hand, is long dead. Ned replies, “I was trained to kill,” and the correction is said definitively, with no apology, though we perhaps can sense a weariness just from his eyes. Whenever he says “kill” there is no braggadocio behind it. He’s just stating fact.

Yes, Cersei is right, Ned had been raised to follow, to serve his brother. But he had also been trained to kill… and that’s the warning he is giving Cersei. We are privy here to Ned and Cersei’s verbal parries and ripostes, and from Cersei’s slightly disinterested look, she truly believes she is winning this game. Now some have taken Cersei to task for many things so far, but I believe Lena—who, trust me, knows how to play intense and driven—is playing the serpent-in-waiting role right now. Not a care in the world, is what her facade says…

Tyrion slaps Joff: And all the while the living badassery that is the Hound looks on. The shot was quick, but oh lord I loved it. And no, Joff having short hair does not harm the plot in any way. He’s said to look like a girl, not actually be physically mistaken for one.

The Mountain vs. the Hound: Whilst Finn Jones rolls in the dust. (Away from the mostly-decapitated horse.) Awesome.

Jon vs. Rast and then vs. Pyp: Pyp looks pissed. Or frustrated. Git some, Josef!

Overall? A much, much better trailer than any of the one’s we’ve seen before. Most of those were basically aimed squarely at the fanbase, but this one is the first one meant for general release—the proverbial shot heard ’round the world. The sets look good, and the costuming looks not only great, but original (kudos to Michele Clapton)… all in keeping with HBO’s rich tradition of giving its viewership plenty of eye candy.

More next week!

81. Knurk
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 8:27 am | Permalink

I also believe we’ve seen the finished images. If you follow WiC on twitter you can see there’s a guy who already received the first two ‘polished’ episodes.

But I do hope they tone down the colors in KL a bit, because if they follow this route I wonder how Flee’s Bottom and Dorne are going to look like. I really loved the first half of the teaser, the second half was ok.

82. Rob O Sevens
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Unreal!

83. seb332
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

Another possibility to solve Eye-Gate is to change it at a certain scene at the end of the season. Yes, this would be different from the book, but i would kind of like it myself. The wig will be gone at the same time of course, so we would get a bald Dany 2.0 with different eye color.

84. Maxwell James
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 9:31 am | Permalink

alan777,

There are four books in the series, and I wouldn’t expect that most people who’ve bought the books – even all four – are closely following the production. That’s what I mean by the fan base – the portion of ASOIAF readers who are closely following the production and are intent upon watching the series when it airs or shortly thereafter.

But I hope you’re right. I’m not pessimistic about the show, but I do think that marketing it to non-readers is going to be a tricky, if essential, next step.

85. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 9:32 am | Permalink

seb332,

It’s a possibility but the purple eyes aren’t unique for Dany, it’s a Targaryen trait. It doesn’t seem to play a vital part in the story as long as the four books takes us though.

86. Joakim
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 9:35 am | Permalink

I think I need to clarify my comment too. It was written way too late in the night and I failed to explain what I meant by “fantasy” (the cheap kind). What made me think of cheap fantasy was the color palette and plainness of King’s Landing and Khal Drogo, a stark (no pun intended) contrast to the very cinematic scenes of the north. The rest, of course, looked amazing – but those few scenes left me with an ambivalent overall impression.

The reason I reacted was because this is the first impression most people will have of the show, and first impressions are very important. But don’t get me wrong, I have absolute confidence in the production team and I’m sure the series will look great and be successful. And I do realize this is pre-post-production. And after all, it’s the 15 minute Inside Game of Thrones that will be the real introduction.

87. coltaine777
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 9:36 am | Permalink

<str
    Mormegil,

88. Katja Isaksen
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 9:59 am | Permalink

alan777,

89. seb332
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Tywin’s Bastard,

of course, but maybe they are changing something there. Maybe it’s just Targ + Dragon = violet eyes in the series instead of every Targ. That doesn’t change the story at all, but would symbolize a more radical change in Dany and a obvious connection between her and the dragons, this way the viewer actually sees that the hatching of the eggs is not just coincidence/luck but something deeper.

90. Katja Isaksen
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 10:37 am | Permalink

seb332,

I don’ t think all the Targaryens har purple eyes. Most did, yes, but so do the Daynes. If you’ve read The Hedge Knight, you’ll see lots of different colourings in the children and grandchildren of Daeron II, the one who marries a Dornish princess.

I guess what I’m saying is that purple eyes aren’t essential. It helps keep the Targaryens mysterious in the books, but they’re special in plenty other ways too. Hair yes, but also their incestuous marriage customs, prophetic dreams, kinship with dragons and constant teetering on the edge of madness. You don’t need purple eyes on top of all that.

91. John
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 10:38 am | Permalink

BE has been fantastic. They’ve taken their time developing the characters and it has paid off. And while the pillow fight comment may garner the applause of some, aside from the settings (really only superficially so at that), GOT and LOTR are apples and oranges. I liked the GOT trailer though.

92. Mormegil
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 10:57 am | Permalink

coltaine777: <strMormegil, The reason I think a good part of the trailer hasn’t been through post production is the previous HBO ‘upcoming shows in 2011′ promo…in that promo the beheading scene from our latest trailer looks quite different…it looks much more vibrant in the promo[color wise]…but I’m no expert …Where’s Ryan Dunn when you need him ? just saying…  Quote  Reply

I’d say it was the other way around, the shots from the 2011 promo have been altered (such as adding the low lying clouds) to give us the version in the current teaser which will be the final version.

Actually just looking at the 2011 promo again it’s not even the same footage. It’s the stuff shot for the pilot, Theon has blonde hair and the execution is on a tree stump and not a fallen Standing Stone.

93. Shinyteapot
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 11:01 am | Permalink

I really hope we don’t see anyones’ eyes change colour as a symbol of magic, or an extra glowy magic sword until we get to the firey ones at least- which should presumably still look like swords, but on fire, or anything like that (Valyrian steel should look slightly rippled- is it even magical? I saw it as particularly good steel, made in a specific way, not magic), it seems somehow tacky and less realistic. I’d rather the show avoids any overly obvious signs saying ‘look, magic here!’ and just treated it as a normal part of the world. It’s not Merlin.

94. Mormegil
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Continued from previous post.

To be honest I would prefer if the colour of the “North” in the final version looked more like it does in the 2011 promo but I don’t think thats where they are going.

95. OhDanyBoy
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Shinyteapot: I really hope we don’t see anyones’ eyes change colour as a symbol of magic, or an extra glowy magic sword until we get to the firey ones at least- which should presumably still look like swords, but on fire, or anything like that (Valyrian steel should look slightly rippled- is it even magical?I saw it as particularly good steel, made in a specific way, not magic), it seems somehow tacky and less realistic.I’d rather the show avoids any overly obvious signs saying ‘look, magic here!’ and just treated it as a normal part of the world.It’s not Merlin.

96. coltaine777
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Mormegil,

yep your right…my memory failed me….though I also prefer the look from the promo for the North…

97. alan777
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Katja Isaksen: alan777,

When I divided 3.5 million by three I got 1,166,666.666666667. I figure not everyone has purchased all four books, some have purchased only 1, 2, or 3 books. So yes, that number is off as it is a rough estimate, but I still say it is most likely over 1 million fans for just the USA alone. One million viewers is more than enough for just the USA for any initial fan base for the show. So no, my math is not wrong. You are just assuming that every fan has purchased all four books I think.

98. alan777
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

OhDanyBoy:
    In the books, Valyrian Steel requires spells to forge properly – there are techniques known for reshaping it, but I believe the spells for forging it have been lost.Agreed on the look though – it is supposed to have a rippling effect, but it’s only other trait is a slightly darker tint than regular steel.

I figure Valyrian steel looks a lot like Japanese folded Katana blades, when iron and steel are sandwiched together. That has a very “rippled” look to it, all wavy and layered. If you have every seen a REAL Katana up close you know what I mean.

99. Katja Isaksen
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

alan777,

No I think we were thinking differently. I thought you figured all of the 3.5 mill as individual fans and that a certain fraction would watch.

I guess the total still comes to about the same, assuming that everyone who has bought the books liked them and will watch the series. I hope they do, but it’ll be nervewracking to find out…

100. alan777
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Katja Isaksen: alan777,

We were looking at it differently. But I am figuring that at least 90% of Game of Thrones fans are going to watch. Maybe that is on the positive side of things but from what I have seen GRRM has some pretty fanatical fans. The hype surrounding this show is getting to be of epic proportions. If we wanted to be on the conservative side of things I guess you could divide it by four and get 875,000 initial viewers. That is still a good number for just the fan base. Add in all the people who are going to watch because of it being on HBO or because of True Blood fans and it still is going to top a million.

Personally I think it is going to be well over 3 million people watching. Lots of people love fantasy genre stuff. Otherwise Lord of the Rings would not have made so much cash. Once the show starts and reviews come in more will watch too.

101. Kristen
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

The only thing that kind of lost me in the trailer was when Ned and Cersei were talking. I couldn’t even understand what Cersei said the first time, and when I eventually did it still seemed really out of place. I also don’t remember that scene from the books or what they were even referring to (other than your basic assumption). Maybe my memory just sucks (well, not maybe – it does!) but that was the only part of the trailer that threw me off.

Like that one review though: “Girl-on-girl sex. Blond, bare-chested warriors. Heads gruesomely cut off with swords. Yep, Game of Thrones …” on yourtv – honestly kind of offended me that they’d make the story that simplistic and immature. Obviously they have not read the books, shame :( Like girl-on-girl sex is the #1 reason we should be watching this show (maybe #2).

Good to see other big-name reviewers out there giving praise though – I really hope the series has much success!

102. Becks
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

hannah,

I think they’re concentrating more on the “Southern Gothic” genre of the show…but with vampires and other beasties

103. sarah
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Can anyone who has HBO tell me if they are airing the teasers and trailers regularly? I’m just curious how much HBO viewers are being blasted with GoT, or if it’s just a random teaser here or there before a popular show.

104. Brian Baldinger
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James,

Agreed.

105. Johan Sporre
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

I sure think (and hope!) that it’s original GoT music that’ll be used for the show. Maybe Stephen has had time to write a snippet or two.

106. Adam Whitehead
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Your maths are wrong I think. If ASoIaF has sold 3,5 mill in the US altogether, that means about 1 mill or less fans, assuming they all bought a copy of each of the books in the series. I’ve got four paperbacks (SoS in 2 volumes after all) and one hardback that doesn’t fit my shelf… Katja Isaksen

My understanding is that ASoIaF has sold about 8 million copies worldwide, about half in the USA and half outside it. That chimes with GRRM’s recent announcement that AGoT has sold over 1 million copies in mass-market paperback alone (add a few tens of thousands for the hardcovers and tradebacks), which fits this rough working (2 million per book worldwide, half in the USA), giving us about 1 million fans – or at least people who’ve bought the book, maybe not the same thing – in the USA alone.

Of course, some of those 1 million will have bought the book and enjoyed it but for whatever reason not read the rest, and some will have bought it and hated it, and some will have bought a copy for a friend who’s never got round to it. On the other side of the fence you have lots of fans who’ve only ever gotten the books out of the library. So it’s all a bit vague. One thing we do know is that AFFC shifted half a million hardcovers in its first year on sale in the USA, which is a hell of a lot.

So no, it’s not TWILIGHT or HARRY POTTER, but my most standards it’s done well.

107. sjwenings
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Can’t WiC/Ran/someone that might get an answer simply ask HBO if the teaser music will be used in the show?

Posted November 30, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

sjwenings,

109. Alexander
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Bean is a big name….people like that….

HBO will draw viewers…..they’re going to have regular HBO watchers give it a chance….but the key thing is that they’ll have a huge surge of new subscribers a week before the show starts. Who is going to buy HBO and not watch the ten episodes?

Once people watch they will get sucked in… I read mostly fantasy but ASOIAF became my favorite books because they’re more intense drama than fantasy. A friend of mine who doesn’t like fantasy (likes historical fiction) actually recommended them to me five years ago. They transcend the genre.

BTW, he told me Book 5 would be out soon at the time….jokes!

110. OldGran
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

sarah,

I have not seen any more of the trailer since BW on Sunday. Is that odd? I think they should be showing it over and over. ( I have watched it over and over online however)

111. sjwenings
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: sjwenings, Ran did ask Jim from @GameOfThrones. He didn’t know but said he would look into it.  Quote  Reply

Cool. Would be very interesting to know, as this would probably tell us quite a bit about what direction they are going in for the score.

112. Tyler Metcalfe
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Jonathan Leard,

I like Boardwalk, but it is underwhelming, nothing about it made me really anticipate the next episode, and thus I stopped watching regularly after the first 3 episodes. Still a good show with a great set and actors.

113. The Young Wolf
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Personally I think HBO has handled this beautifully. When I showed the new teaser to my friends they thought it looked cool. When I told my family to watch it my dad held the phone next to the screen so I could hear what he was reacting to. First thing he said: “Oh my God Boromir just chopped that guy’s head off!” EXACTLY what I wanted to hear! HBO clearly conveyed the tone of the show.
    Some may be worried about the lack of “F*** yeah this is going to be AWESOME!!!” reactions but remember not everyone writing about the teaser has read the books.
    Also, I am surprised about the Eyegate. The color of Danaerys’s eyes is a minor physical detail that really isn’t very important. It’s much more acceptable to change that then, say, not have Gregor Clegane be the biggest, strongest, baddest Mothertrucker in the show. This is a TV series that needs to appeal to the masses to succeed, not just us. HBO has been downplaying the fantasy elements of the show because, well, there has yet to be a fantasy TV series that took itself seriously and has been met with critical acclaim as far as I can tell. It is just not a good idea to introduce Dany as a character with purple eyes because when people watch the trailer they will wonder why she has purple eyes and get distracted from the awesomeness of the rest of the trailer. It is ok if some minor details are left out/changed for the sake of book-screen translation (of course, this is coming from a guy who wholly approved of Faramir taking Frodo to Osgiliath in the Two Towers film).
    Looks like the general consensus is that this is the next Big Show and it is going to be a Big Deal and it is by HBO which is the Best Network Ever and it is something to check out. People trust HBO. That’s the important thing :)

Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:22 am | Permalink

My short take on it: this was still called a teaser by the HBO, not a trailer (though it’s close to one). It still gives the feeling it’s geared more towards fans. I imagine that the first real deal for the general public is coming this weekend with the 10 promised minutes (5 will be dedicated to other programming, we’ve heard) of preview. This give them time and space to present the key characters and the premise to the newcomers. More to come in the months after New Year’s.

It is still possible that the material is going to be polished and retouched further (5 episodes exist in rough cut, only the first two, as far as we know, have been finalized). That’s why HBO as a rule waits for an entire season to be ready. Once they have all 10 episodes they can go back and polish the package as a whole if needed.

115. ablaaa
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 7:58 am | Permalink

Rinoa, darling, where are you? : P

116. Ed
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

I can’t imagine a new viewer watching Episode 1 and after the stunning ending, NOT wanting to watch Episode 2. At that point, they’re invested and we’ve got them!!! MMMMUUWWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

117. The Young Wolf
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Makes sense. The premise of Game of Thrones is hard to describe to the uninitiated. I am curious as to how the plot will be presented in the first full trailer. At any rate, the behind the scenes feature will be great for the general public to be introduced to the characters and get a grasp of what the show is about. I would love to see a full trailer now of course, but it would be better for HBO to wait until post-production is in full swing. Maybe they could sneak in a shot of the Wall or something.

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Chad Harris, Winter Is Coming. Winter Is Coming said: New post: Reactions to the trailer http://bit.ly/fRcHGe [...]

2. [...] Meanwhile, I plan on finding it really weird to watch mainstream pop-culture sites cover the show–even though I myself only discovered the series this year and am far from a GoT [...]