A busy Game of Thrones weekend! We covered the big stuff in our recent posts, but here are some of the smaller news items from the past week or so:
- To start things off is this news article at 4NI that has comments from Northern Ireland’s First Minister and Deputy First Minister following a recent tour of the Game of Thrones set. They reiterate the positive impact the production has on the local economy and hope that HBO continues to film the show in Northern Ireland for years to come.
- Speaking of set visits, George R. R. Martin’s assistant Ty Franck was with GRRM while he toured the sets in Malta. He blogs about his visit over at author Daniel Abraham’s official site. It’s a funny post in which he talks about how surreal the whole experience is, and ends it with this hilarious anecdote from the set.
But the real reason I wrote all of this is to talk about the most surreal thing I’ve ever seen:
One day while filming on some stunning cliffs overlooking the Mediterranean sea near Rabat, I saw Iain Glen, dressed in full plate and chain armor, loudly singing Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.
- Over at Lena Headey’s official Facebook page, she chimes in with her thoughts on Thrones and the whole filming experience.
Game of thrones is coming to the end of the season one shoot and I can tell you that I believe even the most ardent fans will be smiling in 2011..Everyone has brought their A game…Amazing scripts,sets,costumes and a diverse group of interesting/talented actors..Winter is definitely coming..
She also mentions that she will be heading home soon, so it sounds like all the Cersei scenes have been filmed.
- You know who also headed home? The cast and crew from the shoot in Malta. We had heard that it was set to wrap early last week and it sounds like the cast and crew departed the island nation Friday, according to this tweet from a PA who worked on the shoot.
- GRRM, who also left Malta recently, is back in the States and was in Minnesota over the weekend at Fantasy Flight Game’s Days of Ice and Fire, where he held a Q&A on Game of Thrones. As you might imagine, he was fairly tight-lipped, rehashing much of the same info we are all very familiar with by now. He did reveal though that his cameo appearance from the original pilot was filmed in Morocco, meaning he would have appeared in Dany’s wedding, and not at the Winterfell feast, as originally believed. Unfortunately, the recasting of Daenerys necessitated a reshoot of this scene, which means George’s original cameo has been cut from the show.
No word on whether he has filmed another cameo during his most recent visit to the set or not.Commenter Sarah, who was at the Q&A, indicates that GRRM filmed only this one cameo. So no GRRM in season one, unfortunately.
- Lastly, as to those two “actors” GRRM blogged about, the ones who got into a scrap in Belfast recently, turns out they were in fact two of the dogs who are playing the direwolves in the show. Surprisingly, neither of the dogs are playing Shaggydog.