MGoT: The Favored Hand
By Winter Is Coming on in News.

A delightful post from Bryan Cogman today over at Making Game of Thrones, where he talks about a day on set in Malta. They are filming scenes from Episode 8 that take place in the Red Keep, with the presidential estate of San Anton Palace doubling as the Red Keep. After narrowly avoiding a flooding disaster, we get this amazingly awesome anecdote from the set:

Today’s work features Arya Stark (Maisie Williams). As always, she’s in terrific form. And here’s an exchange I witnessed which should illustrate why she’s such a joy to work with. Dan Minahan is working with Maisie on a bit of action involving Arya’s prized blade (Needle):

DAN: Wait, are you left-handed or right-handed?

MAISIE: Well, I’m right-handed. But Arya’s left-handed.

My eyes widen. Indeed, Arya is described as left-handed in George’s books. I just assumed we had lucked out and found an actor who happened to be left-handed. But, no! Upon further investigation, I discover Maisie expressed early on that she wanted to learn her sword fights left-handed to honor the description in the original novels. She’s already shot a sequence involving some complex choreography that would challenge any actor, not to mention one not using her favored hand. What a kid!

Winter Is Coming: This is something Bryan Miltos first related to those in attendance at the Belfast moot. But it is great to hear again and to get more details on how it all went down. Talk about dedication to your role. Great job Maisie!

1. Inkasrain
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

2. Boštjan Gorenc
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Well, if she can learn it, why can’t Jaime either? Sheesh, those spoiled kingsguard knights. :D

It’s great to see such dedication in the young actress. I think this removed the last grain of doubt that she is Arya (if any such doubts still persisted).

3. BlueCanary
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Oh my god. She is awesome. <3

4. dizzy_34
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Boštjan Gorenc,

Heh, I agree.

I’m hoping to actually see some more of the kids in the preview coming up this Sunday.

5. Johan Sporre
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

That brought a smile to my face. She seems like such a cool kid.

6. TastesLikeTheSea
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Arya >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bella

7. The Rabbit
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Always nice to hear about the dedication of a cast member in our lovin series.
    Maisie, you rule :)

8. SergioCQH
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Boštjan Gorenc,

Well, it’s actually much easier for children to learn to use their non-dominant hand. Their brains have a much higher degree of plasticity compared to adults.

9. Jéssica de F. Maciel
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Team Maisie!!!
    Can’t wait to see her in action =]

Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

TastesLikeTheSea,

That’s not even any sort of fair competition :P Arya wins it left-handed (pun very much intended).

11. GaR
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

TastesLikeTheSea,

Did he end up ringing her bell? Cos like… Bella’s Gendry’s half sister, yes?

12. Stella Maris
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Did I just “squee”?

Yeah, I totally just “squee”d. Good job, Maisie. <3

13. Niels
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Maisie is the best! I can really see her maturing in the series, should be fun.

Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Inkasrain: I hope somebody let’s Maisie’s parents know that a whole lot of people are going to fall head-over-heels in love with their daughter when April rolls around.

When April rolls around? I’ve been a big fan ever since the first photo of Maisie was discovered! She fits my mental image of Arya perfectly (probably more so than any other casting so far). The fact that she’s also apparently dedicated and true to her character just makes her that much more awesome. Arya is probably my favourite character (along with Ned), and Maisie and Sean Bean have been my favourite bits of casting so far!

I hope Maisie knows that she’s won some of our hearts already. I’m with Team Arya!

15. Katja Isaksen
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

I think we’re gonna have to have Teams for every character soon. I’ll be on about half of them! Especially Maisie/Arya’s if she’s as good as it seems. :)

16. Ingemar Svensson
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

If it turns out that Maise will be as good as we get the feeling she might be I wonder if it’s possible for such a young actress to get a best supporting actress nomination for some award. I think the role itself is complex and interesting enough for that to happen especially in season 2 with the parts in Harrenhal.

17. Mike
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Completely agree Lex. Arya is one of my favorite characters in the books, and everything we’ve seen and heard from Maisie has been so perfect.

I didn’t have much to complain about with the preview videos until now. They need more Arya :-P

I know people are still worried about how popular the show will be, but I don’t have any doubt that the Westeros story line will draw people in. I think the Stark children (and Tyrion) will steal the show. I think it places a tremendous burden on Emilia Clarke to carry her story line, so people don’t want the “White Haired Girl” segments to get over faster to get back to the other stuff. I hope she’s up for it.

18. Rob O Sevens
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Crazy ! It looks like Arya is going to quickly supplant Hit-Girl (Kick Ass movie) as the most bad ass pre t(w)een girl in tv/movies

19. meg
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

This is wonderful. Arya’s my favorite character, so I’m glad to hear that we have a young actress who is so dedicated. Three cheers for Maisie!!!

20. David Scotton
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Team Arya!

Arya’s always been my favorite character and Maisie seems to rock.

21. DH87
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Ingemar Svensson: If it turns out that Maise will be as good as we get the feeling she might be I wonder if it’s possible for such a young actress to get a best supporting actress nomination for some award.

Well, I believe Anna Paquin was the youngest winner of best supporting actress Oscar for The Piano (age 12), but Maisie of course would be eligible for Golden Globe/Emmy Best Supporting Actress if she were to be nominated. (For film historians, yes, Shirley Temple was six years old when she won but hers was a special Oscar, not won against competition.)
    Maisie and the other children will steal the whole series if the adults aren’t firing on all cylinders every week. Arya is a dream part, and it is wonderful to see how seriously she is taking it.
    Circling back to Anna Paquin—of course, she now is the lead of HBO’s True Blood at age 27, having not yet equalled the acclaim gained for her superb, almost other worldly Piano performance.

22. dizzy_34
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

DH87,

Kind of OT … but didn’t she win a golden globe or an emmy for Soooookahh? Not that I agree with that… Nelson Elis deserves all the acting nods for that show.

23. Ed
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Dunsen, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling…

(This is gonna be so great!)

24. DH87
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34: didn’t she win a golden globe or an emmy for Soooookahh? Not that I agree with that…

Yes, you are right—Paquin won the Golden Globe for best actress in a television drama for True Blood’s season 1. I’d second your comment about Nelsan but would suggest that Alex Skarsgard has been the scene stealer of the series—at least for the first two seasons. General consensus is that Season 3 was inferior in almost all aspects to the first two seasons and it is not expected to win any of the major awards next award season. As the awards seasons are structured, S3 of True Blood will not go up against S1 GOT for the 2011 Emmys; GOT will not be eligible, although it may be for the early-in-2012 Golden Globes.

25. Phoenix_torn
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Hats off to Maisie. That’s dedication. I love SHE decided Arya needed to stay left handed. Love it.

From everything we’ve heard, seen, read, witnessed, it’s clear we have an awesome cast.

26. Nicole
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

We love you Maisie! And Arya is by far one of the best characters in the book. She is in for a wild ride and I can’t wait to watch. I know Maisie won’t disappoint.

27. theamberkey
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Totally on board with the Maisie respect. I kinda wowed. She seems so fun-loving, I wonder how she’ll pull off the darker sides of Arya.

28. obsidian
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Arya is the character that instantly grabbed me when I first read the books. I got 1&2 together and 3&4 together soon after. I confess to a fair bit of chapter hopping ,not wanting to wait to find out how she was faring.

Maisie seems like she’ll be a pearl beyond price in the role.

29. alan777
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

HOLY CRAP! Drawing or writing with my left hand is hard enough and this girl goes and learns sword fighting with her off hand. What an actress! I see a huge and very famous future in acting for this little thespian!

30. Cutter Allen Kilgore
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Is there GOLD in the village??!

Posted December 1, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Cutter Allen Kilgore: Is there GOLD in the village??!

Okay, all this talk of Arya’s hit list is getting me super excited for a second season! I’ve been mostly thinking about how great Season 3 would be, but Season 2 would actually contain some of the best Arya and Tyrion moments.

32. Wastrel
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

My first thought was that this sounded adorably childlike. My next thought was to compare her age to Natalie Portman in Leon, and then think that maybe this was actually weirdly adult/professional. Depends how she said it, I suppose. Then I thought that Portman demonstrated what good acting could be possible from a good child actress.

Not that I expect Maisie to be anywhere near as good as Portman, obviously (no offence!). I mean, forget about child actors, her performance in Leon is one of the best performances I’ve ever seen by ANY actor. Which lends some hope that if they’ve found someone at all talented in Maisie, with the script she’s given she could have an immense impact. [By that, I mean that we tend to think of child actors as being unable to deal with darker or more nuanced roles... but often that's because a) they're chosen to look cute and b) they're rarely GIVEN darker and nuanced roles.]

Regarding scenes we think could win Maisie acclaim if she really is good: the end of ASOS! The scene where Arya rides off leaving Sandor to die slowly, as the great badass of the first three books breaks down entirely and screams for a merciful death and she ignores him despite the raport they’ve sort of built up is one of the most incredible and powerful scenes in the books, in my opinion. In fact, I know other stuff happens after it (eg Tyrion!), but I’d really like that to the be final image of Season 3 (and not a bad place to stop the series if they can’t get support for more). Personally, I don’t like ending on cliffhangers (feels cheesy), and that’s exactly the sort of bleak, intriguing tone-setting scene that fits perfectly after a cliffhanger.

OK, now I’m rambling.

33. Knurk
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Maisie rocks, the scene I’m most looking forward to for the whole show is her killing the stable boy. I’m wondering how I’ll react on seeing those scenes, Arya has always been 10 in my mind and that’s a big part of her being so cool. It’s obvious Maisie will grow up a lot faster than Arya and probably she’ll be around 18 if they ever going to film A Feast for Crows, somehow I think those scenes (and the Bran scenes) are going to differ from the books a lot to give them more credibility.

BTW, I just saw that Boardwalk Empire will be premiering in the Netherlands this sunday on prime time. I’m baffled: Sons of Anarchy season 1 started two weeks ago, Mad Men is two season behind, the Sopranos has just finished two years ago, Breaking Bad is still sitting on the shelves although being purchased a year ago, we have true blood and the Wire season 1 starting a few months ago on digital channels hidden far away for the regular tv-watcher. Last year they caught up with lost and were only three days behind though, so that was a good sign. I’ve emailed every network there is in march when they greenlit the pilot, so let’s hope we’ll get some news soon that we can see GoT on tv in the Netherlands.

34. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Let’s just hope that if the show makes it to season four that she doesn’t carry the method thing as far as drinking something to bloe out her eyesight for a few days!!!

35. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

ERR blot not bloe

Posted December 1, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Wastrel,

The funny thing about Natalie Portman is that her acting turned to crap as soon as she grew up.

37. Zafri Mollon
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

This is awesome. Further proof that the cast is both dedicated and amazing. Can’t wait to see some of these performances!

38. The Young Wolf
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Wow! Talk about dedication to the role! There’s a (correct me if I’m wrong) first-time actress who has artistic integrity. For some reason the Arya chapters were never the most riveting for me (those belonged to Tyrion and Ned) but I always loved her character and I just got even MORE excited to see her needlework on screen if possible!

39. Wastrel
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Oscar nominated for Closer. Golden Globe win for Closer and nomination for Anywhere But Here. She’s also pretty good in V for Vendetta, even though the film itself isn’t that great.

40. Wastrel
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

Wastrel,

Although I could be biased re V, because dear gods that woman looks hot with a shaved head. Not a lot of people you can say that about…

41. Dennai
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

First, I have to say that Bryan Cogman and Dan Minahan were too slow. I noticed (and I wrote in this same forum) months ago that Maise were playing with Needle with her less favoured hand. I said so the very moment her pictures with Needle were shown here because I knew she was right-handed since she signed my AGOT copy during the first Belfast moot. So I demand a digital cookie as fair reward.

Secondly, as I mentioned other times is easier to learn a discipline with your less favoured hand when you’re learning it from scratch. I commented the case of the right-handed Rafael Nadal, tennis number 1 playing with her left hand. More frequently, we can see left-handed people who play guitar right-handed, usually because they didn’t have a left-handed guitar available when they start to learn how to play the instrument. George Michael or Pink are examples of this.
    And how many left-handed people deal with their mouse at their computer with the right hand, specially at their place of job?
    What is really hard is to switch to your less favored hand to do something you master or are used to with your natural hand.

42. Critical Geek
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Dennai,

/bakes a coconut cream filled chocolate chip cookie for Dennai

43. Inkasrain
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Very true, but we’ve all been in love with Maisie for a while– once the show hits the airwaves, the love will be exponential!

44. DH87
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Lex,
    Fool us once…fool us twice…
    Aren’t you due back at “Joe vs. Miltos” to deal with Roger’s complaint about Joe’s swordplay?

45. Dennai
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Critical Geek,

/bakes a coconut cream filled chocolate chip cookie for Dennai

Yay! (rubbin hands, salivating…)

46. stevelabny
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Dennai: First, I have to say that Bryan Cogman and Dan Minahan were too slow. I noticed (and I wrote in this same forum) months ago that Maise were playingwith Needle with her less favoured hand. I said so the very moment her pictures with Needle were shown here because I knew she was right-handed since she signed my AGOT copy during the first Belfast moot. So I demand a digital cookie as fair reward.

47. Switters
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Do you feel this way because of her performance in the Star Wars prequel trilogy? That was not entirely her fault.

48. sjwenings
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

stevelabny: This., It was the first thing me and my gf noticed months ago when that pic of Maisie and her sword was posted.  Quote  Reply

Everyone noticed that. Every single one of us.

Posted December 1, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Switters: Lex,
    Do you feel this way because of her performance in the Star Wars prequel trilogy?That was not entirely her fault.

50. alan777
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

Lex:

I think this has to be one of the craziest things I have read on the Internet ever in my life….. o.O

51. stevelabny
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

sjwenings:
    Everyone noticed that. Every single one of us.

52. Dennai
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

sjwenings: Everyone noticed that. Every single one of us.

I’M NOT SHARING THE COOKIE!!!

53. sjwenings
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 12:18 am | Permalink

stevelabny: That;s what I thought, but from reading this post and some of the comments, that apparently isn’t the case.  Quote  Reply

Why? Just because she wore it in her left hand on those pics, it never HAD to mean that she was gonna train to use her left hand in the show.

54. Zack
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 12:26 am | Permalink

I, too, thought this was old news, but I don’t mind being reminded of it once again. She fits my mental image of Arya perfectly, and her dedication to her role in taking this kind of initiative is such an encouraging sign regarding what to expect for the rest of her performance.

I have no doubt that Maisie will help transition one of my top 5 book characters into a top 5 TV character.

Posted December 2, 2010 at 1:29 am | Permalink

alan777,

I’m honoured.

56. Porcupine Tree
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 3:32 am | Permalink

Dennai,

George Michael? Pink??

‘There must be some way to get outta here, said the joker to the thief’ – the best example of RH guitar playing by a left hander is, of course, Jimmy Hendrix!

Maisie is awesome and one of my favourite characters. I agree with all your opinions above, posters.

57. Dennai
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 4:51 am | Permalink

Porcupine Tree,

I don’t know what’s your point.
    If Jimmy Hendrix was using a RH guitar (have no idea, but I guess you are well informed) well, kudos to him for learning to play it and master it with the strings in the inverse position, but that is not what we were discussing. We’re talking of people using his/her less favored hand. Jimmy Hendrix was left-handed and played left-handed.

GM and Pink are left-handed and play right-handed . I know neither of them are legendary guitar players, but I used the example I knew of.

58. gintim
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 5:06 am | Permalink

Ed,

Ed, you’re so spot on!! This wee one is gonna break your hearts in season two.

59. Porcupine Tree
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 5:09 am | Permalink

Dennai,

I stand corrected *blushes*

60. digdoug
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 6:50 am | Permalink

I wonder if Massie is a good cook?

Weasel Soup!

Posted December 2, 2010 at 8:09 am | Permalink

Lex:
    I think Natalie Portman is absolutely beautiful, and I don’t mind her acting… I just don’t think it’s that great. Yeah, Star Wars was bad, but I especially thought her acting was bad in V for Vendetta (the crying in the rain scene made me LOL).She looks pretty good in Your Highness, however. (I’m referring to the R-Rated trailer) :)

I really liked her in Garden State. Never saw Closer. V for Vendetta was meh. Star Wars prequels were abominable. Leon was great. Black Swan looks like it is going to be fantastic.

I guess what I’m saying is, like many actors, Portman does well when she is given a good script and is surrounded by talented people. I think overall she is a much better actress than most of the others working in Hollywood today (Megan Fox, Scarlett Johansson, etc.).

62. The Winter Rose
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 8:29 am | Permalink

Oh man, I’ve never been a big Arya fan, but this kid is winning me over so much I think she’s going to make me change my stance when the show comes out with all the great things we keep hearing about her. It’s really awesome to hear how dedicated she is to her role. That’s impressive for someone so young.

63. Sandor Clegane
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 8:38 am | Permalink

Will the trailer still release on dec 5?

64. Jackie MacPherson
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Hey WiC,

Just to let you know you were correct on both counts. Both Bryan and Miltos were telling the story at the Moot and both were very impressed with Maisie’s professionalism.

65. Kevin
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 8:55 am | Permalink

I thought of the movie 61* when I read this. The movie is about Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle chasing Babe Ruth’s record of 60 home runs in a year in 1961. The actor Anthony Michael Hall plays the pitcher Whitey Ford. Ford is left-handed, Hall is right-handed. So, they had him pitch right-handed, with everything on his jersey in reverse (his number, and the NY). Then they used tricks with the camera to flip everything, and voila, he’s a lefty pitcher.

66. coltaine777
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 9:12 am | Permalink

Looks like Arya is in great hands with Maisie…

67. Adam
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 9:56 am | Permalink

68. OldGran
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Can hardly wait to get a glimpse of Maisie/Arya doing her needlework. this is going to be so good!!
    On another note regarding child actors, who is that little kid on BE who is Jimmy’s son. That kid steals every scene he is in. I have found the acting among the adults in BE to be somewhat uneven, but that little kid never disapoints.

69. Bobben
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 10:10 am | Permalink

Adam: I think this is a very good sign but I personally am not going to start thinking about Emmies for her before I see her in a single scene. I like to keep expectations low so they are more likely to be met.

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

70. Nicole
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 10:56 am | Permalink

I dunno how we got to talking about Natalie Portman, but Closer is a phenomenal movie.

71. Shannon
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Lex,

I agree! V for Vendetta was a terrible movie. Though, to be honest, her bad performances may speak more of an inability to select quality scripts than actual acting.

72. Steve B.
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Shannon,

Fascinating, as I found V for Vendetta really a pretty good sci-fi film- thought provoking, and visually engaging. I thought Portman was fine in it, frankly, she didn’t bother me at all, though it’s really Hugo Weaving’s amazing voice acting behind the mask of V that made the movie shine for me. It’s always interesting how one man’s flower is another man’s weed.

73. alan777
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Lex: alan777,
    I’m honoured.

I agree about the Star Wars prequels were generally bad movies. But V For Vendetta was a great movie, at least IMHO. I really can’t see how people can say it is a bad movie, but I guess it all comes down to taste.

74. Brian Talbott
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

This is a bit off-topic but did anyone else catch Emilia Clarke in Triassic Attack (formerly Fossils) this past Saturday on the SyFy channel?

75. izakmo
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Permalink
  76. Fazil
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Brian Talbott,

She was cute, but it was terrible movie with terrible script, terrible production, terrible direction, and by extension terrible acting. But hey, Angelina Jolie started her career with Cyborg 2, and look where is she now.

77. Knurk
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

izakmo,

that’s one awful still haha.

78. Katja Isaksen
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

alan777,

Might this be a difference between people who have and haven’t read Alan Moore’s graphic novel? I saw the movie before reading and thought it was pretty good (I still pretty much do), but it leaves out a lot compared to the original story. But that’s true for almost all print to screen adaptations to of course…

79. Wastrel
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

“V for Vendetta” is… mediocre. It would be terrible, but it’s got some good performances.

The dialogue was bad, the plot predictable, but the worst thing was the way it had all been perverted by the directors. I’ve never read the original, but I know it’s set in the UK! The film was allegedly set in the UK, but at the very best it felt like it was set in the US, and for large parts it felt set in a hamfisted parody/polemic of the Bush years. It’s easy enough to imagine Britain going fascist… but that is NOT what it would look like. Britain is never going to end up turning into Alabama. Even the style of the oratory by the Fascist Orator Guy just screamed Americanness.

Anyway, other than the performances there wasn’t anything good about the film.

80. Dennai
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Fazil,
    She was cute, but it was (…)terrible acting.

I haven’t seen the Syfi film but I know you are blatantly out of mark here. Emilia is a ASOIAF fan, therefore every single one of her performances are and will be master class and once her career is over, the likes of Meryl Streep, Bette Davis and Katherine Hepburn will be remember by the cinema historian as “the other ones”.

digdoug: I wonder if Massie is a good cook?

Of course, she is. She is a master chef and her dishes reduce the cholesterol and give you good breath.

Additionally,

Sophie Turner will be the first woman to set her foot on the moon and the first person ever to land in Mars. Once there, her experiments with the native mineral rocks will pave the way for the cure to cancer.

Because of his breakout discoveries in the quantum physics field Kit Harrinton will get the Novel Prize which will set nicely on his studio self along his five Oscar

Alfie Allen will accomplished a clean sweep at the Grammys with his recording début. Written and produced by himself, he played almost all the instrumental pieces, the exceptions being the special collaboration of Lily Allen at the tambourine and some impressive guitar solos by Maisie Williams, played it left-handed.

In fact, the global cast and crew of “Game of thrones” influence upon the world will bring a new Golden Age to Hollywood, who will stop at once of producing remakes and vampire films (barring the excellent adaptation of “Fevre Dream”, helmed by Benniot and Weiss, written by Bryan Cogman). April 2011 will be remember as the beginning of the Second Renaissance.

The only exception being Lena Heady. Her performance will suck because she hasn’t read the books, and for a while jeopardized the whole thing, until a overdubbing by Joe Campo saved the day.

81. Liesie
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Dennai,

hahaha that made me laugh! But of course that’s how it’s gonna be, so I shouldn’t have laughed about it ;)

Off Topic but I just saw on our tv that Boardwalk Empire is coming to our own Netherlands so my hopes for Thrones are restored :)

82. Steve B
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Katja Isaksen,

I like the original too, and though the movie is different form it, I thought the movie worked well as a piece of cinema storytelling in it’s own right.

I wish, in all honesty, that Watchmen had taken more liberties with the source material. It was too slavishly accurate to ever be its own creation.

Wastrel,
    I guess the location of the story doesn’t matter to me. It’s all fictional and set in the future, so whether or not its very “british” or not didn’t dictate my viewing pleasure. Of course, it was made during the Bush era years by Americans, so it would be surprising if some of the contemporary politics of its time didn’t rub off on the film, IMO.

I don’t know. The original source material is pointedly political, and critical of contemporary politics at the time. The movie version was too, just of its own time and own politics. It’s an American film, made by Americans, set in England, so that poses some problems I suppose. Perhaps they should have just set it in America, then there would be nothing to complain about. ??

I thought it worked as it’s own metaphor, own story. But to each their own. Just my two cents.

83. Wastrel
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Steve B,

Regarding the setting, I had two types of complaint, really. The first is that it felt too much like a mad, ranting, utterly transparent attack on Bush (and sure, if you’re going to attack someone, he’s a good person to attack, but I think it demeaned the film). The second is the usual complain that American films make The Rest of the World look like parts of America that have pretty buildings in the background, which as a non-American I find a little patronising. It would have been great to watch a sci-fi film about a dystopian future Britain, and instead we got the dramatic wing of the Daily Show (not even the dramatic wing of Colbert!) saying exactly the same things about exactly the same things as everything else on television at the time.

Imagine GoT were rewritten to be a transparent criticism of Obama’s healthcare policies.

84. fake-o name-o
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

izakmo: Brian Talbott,
    Brian Talbott,
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere’s Daaaaaaanyyyyyyy!http://scifiandtvtalk.typepad.com/.a/6a01348361f24a970c0134897201ee970c-popup

OMG I love this picture! Suddenly I am interested in this movie…

85. Critical Geek
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

Wastrel,

Erm, the source material for V for vendetta predates the Bush Presidency. The American-ness complained about was regarding the locations and culture.

Of course, I tend to take all foreign ideas about “Americanness” with a grain of salt, ever since I heard Conan talk about what’s called “American Rice” in Thailand. Apparently it involves ketchup.

86. Damryn of Dorne
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

I think maybe we should hold off on the over-the-top praise for this little girl until we actually see something on screen. Props to her for keeping true to the character, but some of the implicit comments comparing her to oscar/emmy/bafta calibre actresses is a bit premature. Just my 2 cents, I’m still looking forward to seeing her in action.

87. rickonwreaker
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

Damryn of Dorne,

Word… props to her enthusiasm but it’s her delivery that’s going to matter. And anyway, Isaac is currently ahead of her in these projections, if only by virtue of his two lines and one stare.

Posted December 3, 2010 at 2:55 am | Permalink

Damryn of Dorne,

Good point, but I think most of us are just trying to say that we already like Maisie and are behind her 100%. She already has enough pressure on her without us setting sky high expectations.

89. Damyrn of Dorne
    Posted December 3, 2010 at 3:02 am | Permalink

Lex,

I agree totally. I have only seen short snippets of her in the trailers, and all I can say is that she has a great smile. I am behind her 100% as well :)

90. Wastrel
    Posted December 3, 2010 at 8:56 am | Permalink

Critical Geek,

No, the source material doesn’t all predate Bush. The ORIGINAL source predates Bush, sure, but that’s not the only source. The other source is the imaginations of the directors, who made big changes to both the style and the substance – to “modernize” the story as they put it, “for 2006 audiences”.

Or, as the man who wrote that original source material (and disowned the film) put it, they transformed it from a story about fascism and anarchism into a story about “current American neo-conservatism vs. current American liberalism”, and ran directly counter to the original themes in the process.

Don’t think I’m being too controversial in taking the original writer at his word. [I've never read the original, so I have to take his work that they perverted the original, though what they perverted it into is I think obvious for all to see].

((Moore seems particularly upset by the polemic nature of the film, as he tried to be as “fair as possible” between the fascists and the anarchists in his graphic novel, calling the “hero” a “sociopath”, trying to create something that was “very, very morally ambiguous”, and avoiding “telling people what to think”. Very little of that ambiguity, that appeal for the reader to make up their own mind, has survived into the film))

91. Peltast
    Posted December 3, 2010 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Careful guys, we haven’t even seen a bit of her performance. I think we may be setting poor Maisie up to be so impossibly awesome that she will never be able to live up to it, no matter how good her actual performance is. Remember, she is a young child actor in her very first role.

I’m thinking about the Harry Potter actors here. I wouldn’t have anybody else as Harry, Ron and Hermione, but in the first film they were pretty stilted.

92. saluk
    Posted December 4, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

V for Vendetta the movie was awesome and Natalie Portman can still act. I don’t think she’s a great actress, but she’s not bad, and better than many who are much more popular. To be fair, she hasn’t exactly had material that really compares with the role she had in Leon.

Maybe as an American it clouds my judgement, but I didn’t see the Bush-isms the first time I saw it. I also felt it was very morally ambiguous, and saw the good and bad of both sides. I’ll try watching it again and see if I get the same impression now as I saw in the theater.

This also reminds me I’ve been meaning to read the comic, I’m sure it will be better.

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by David Bradford and Chad Harris, Winter Is Coming. Winter Is Coming said: New post: MGoT update: The Favored Hand http://bit.ly/emhvz9 #GameofThrones [...]