Ain’t this just like us, leaping ahead again, putting the cart before the slave, etc. But the way we see it, it’s never too early to plan for things you really want, and boy, do we want season 2! So here we present to you our A Clash of Kings chapter outline.
I have arranged the chapters in order and in a nice, neat 12-episode set… but as most people know, nothing is ever nice and neat in Westeros, and we here at Winter-is-coming.net proudly reflect that bold tradition by firmly stating there is no freaking way the second season of Game of Thrones will follow this all-too convenient script. Hell, I wouldn’t follow it. I just stuck the chapters in order so you all would know what came where.
(You can consider it your homework assignment to try and figure out what would go where, as well as what should stay and what should simply go, never to be seen on television.)
The chapters are described in their shortest, most basic form. If you have not read the book, you will probably not understand much of this outline, and thus should not be reading it. New characters will be CAPITALIZED; new settings will also be UNDERLINED. From these basic building blocks we will begin to get an idea of the challenges that await Dave and D.B.
All names and events from A Clash of Kings are © George R. R. Martin (and some are probably © HBO too by now).
Spoilers await the unwary. You need only open the door…
GAME OF THRONES SEASON TWO: A CLASH OF KINGS
01. PROLOGUE: CRESSEN POV; at DRAGONSTONE; intro of MAESTER PYLOS, SHIREEN, PATCHFACE, DAVOS SEAWORTH, LORD STANNIS BARATHEON, LADY SELYSE BARATHEON, MELISANDRE; Maester Cressen fails to poison Melisandre, and the long tradition of prologue POV deaths takes its second step.
02. ARYA 1: Arya heads north with Yoren, accompanied by Gendry, Hot Pie, and Lommy. Intro of JAQEN H’GAR, RORGE, BITER. Arya beats the crap out of Hot Pie.
03. SANSA 1: Sansa attends Joffrey’s name day tourney. Intro of SER ARYS OAKHEART, LADY TANDA STOKEWORTH, LOLLYS STOKEWORTH, SER DONTOS HOLLARD, SER BALON SWANN; Sansa’s quick thinking saves drunken, pantless Dontos. Tyrion arrives.
04. TYRION 1: Tyrion surprises Cersei and council with his return. Varys later surprises Tyrion by visiting Shae in the inn Tyrion had stashed her in.
05. BRAN 1: Winterfell; intro of BIG WALDER, LITTLE WALDER; fun with logs and sticks. Old Nan says the red comet means dragons are returning. Osha tells Bran not to fight the wolf dreams. Bran later dreams he is Summer.
06. ARYA 2: More refugees encountered by Yoren’s band on road; an encounter with gold cloaks reveals Gendry is sought by the crown.
07. JON 1: Jon and Sam prepare for the journey north. Mormont and Jon talk history; Jon again swears to keep his vows.
08. CATELYN 1: (new) intro of RIVERRUN; BLACKFISH and a sickly LORD HOSTER quarrel; intro of EDMURE. News of Gregor raiding the land; Catelyn decides to leave Riverrun to treat with Renly.
09. TYRION 2: Probable new intro of PODRICK PAYNE; intro of JACELYN BYWATER; Tyrion tricks Slynt and sends him to the Wall. Varys implies Meaghan and her baby were killed on Cersei’s order. Shae is restless in the manse, but Tyrion will not risk her life.
10. ARYA 3: Yoren and his rag-tag group find a woman and her young daughter (WEASEL) in a burned out holdfast. The woman dies in the night.
11. DAVOS 1: Melisandre burns statues of the Seven, gives Stannis “Lightbringer.” SALLADHOR SAAN tells Davos the sword is a fake. Davos and Stannis talk; Edric Storm mentioned.
12. THEON 1: Theon gets a blowjob aboard the MYRAHAM; CAPTAIN’S DAUGHTER is besotted. Ashore, intro of AERON DAMPHAIR, who escorts Theon to PYKE. Theon gives Robb’s offer to his father LORD BALON GREYJOY, who throws it in his face; the ironmen will instead sail against the north.
13. DAENERYS 1: Dany and her followers suffer on their trek east; Doreah dies. They find abandoned city of VAES TOLORRO. Dany sends her blood riders out. Time passes; Rakharo eventually returns with PYAT PREE, XARO XHOAN DAXOS, and QUAITHE, all come to see the dragons.
14. JON 2: Mormont & co. find village of WHITETREE abandoned. Intro of DOLOROUS EDD. Other nameless villages found and passed through.
15. ARYA 4: Yoren’s band also find abandoned villages; wind up in walled HARRENTOWN. SER AMORY LORCH comes in the night and storms the walls. Harrentown burns; most are killed including Yoren. Arya frees Jaqen, Rorge, Biter; flees Harrentown with Gendry, Hot Pie, Lommy, Weasel.
16. TYRION 3: Cersei freaks out about Stannis’s accusatory letter. Tyrion meets with blacksmiths about constructing giant chain. Intro of ALAYAYA; Varys takes Tyrion from Chataya’s to Shae’s manor via secret path.
17. BRAN 2: Bran, now lord of Winterfell, treats with guests including LORD MANDERLY and widowed LADY HORNWOOD; first mention of the bastard Ramsay Bolton. Most guests want Lady Hornwood’s hand in marriage.
18. TYRION 4: Tyrion steals potion from Pycelle; refuses Cersei’s demand that Tywin send an army; makes deal with Littlefinger that will grant with it Harrenhal and lordship of the Trident; meets with Varys re: placating House Martell.
19. SANSA 2: Sansa meets with Ser Dontos in godswood; he promises to see her safely home. Later, Sansa encounters the Hound, who escorts her to her room; he frightens her but she promises to sing him a song one day soon.
20. ARYA 5: Arya and the boys on the lam. Arya reveals her true identity to Gendry in private. Gendry captured by Gregor in PILLAGED VILLAGE. Arya attempts rescue with Hot Pie but is caught. Lommy killed by RAFF THE SWEETLING.
21. TYRION 5: Tyrion inspects wildfire with PYROMANCER HALLYNE; is promised 10,000 jars. SER CLEOS FREY sent to treat with Robb. Cersei confronts Tyrion re: agreement to send Myrcella to Dorne. Tyrion now knows who betrayed him to Cersei.
22. BRAN 3: Bran conducts harvest feast at Winterfell. Intro of JOJEN REED and MEERA REED. Bran later dreams a wolf dream in which Jojen and Meera approach Summer; when touched by Jojen, Bran wakes.
23. CATELYN 2: Catelyn treats with (King) Renly at BITTERBRIDGE. Intro of Renly’s new bride MARGAERY; intro of BRIENNE OF TARTH, who wins tourney and a place in Rainbow Guard. Renly refuses Robb’s treatise; Catelyn dubs Renly’s host the “Knights of Summer.” Messenger arrives, says Stannis besieging Storm’s End.
24. JON 3: Mormont & co. shelter at CRASTER’S KEEP; intro of CRASTER and pregnant GILLY, who begs Jon to take her with him; says Craster will give her newborn son to the Others. Jon refuses even though Sam promised her.
25. THEON 2: Theon rides (and flirts) with Esgred (ASHA GREYJOY); she reveals she is his sister once they are at Pyke. Asha later mocks him at a feast. Intro of VICTARION GREYJOY as Lord Balon reveals his plan of attack on the north; Theon is furious that his tasks are minimal.
26. TYRION 6: Tyrion finds Cersei in her chamber with Lancel; Tyrion imparts the good news that Renly and Stannis are fighting; Tyrion then poisons her. Tyrion, Timmett, Shagga break down Pycelle’s door; Pycelle thrown into dungeons.
27. ARYA 6: Arya imprisoned by Gregor with other villagers. Intro of THE TICKLER, CHISWYCK, POLLIVER (who takes Needle), DUNSEN, SHITMOUTH. Arya brought to HARRENHAL; takes the name “Weasel.” Intro of WEESE.
28. DAENERYS 2: Dany enters QARTH, takes up residence with Xaro. Intro of QUHURU, captain of Cinnamon Wind. Dany plots with Jorah on retaking Westeros.
29. BRAN 4: Jojen warns Bran he should leave Winterfell because of a dream he had. Luwin tells Bran magic is gone from the world.
30. TYRION 7: Lancel demands Tyrion release Pycelle; Tyrion turns tables on Lancel by making him confess he has had sex with Cersei.* Tyrion visits Shae. More sex ensues.
31. ARYA 7: Arya works the kitchens of Harrenhal; intro of PIA. Intro of VARGO HOAT and the Brave Companions. Ser Amory enters with captive Jaqen, Rorge, Biter. Jaqen grants Arya three names to whisper to him; she whispers “Chiswyck” and he is soon found dead.
32. CATELYN 3: Stannis and Renly meet; threats ensue, a peach is eaten; Stannis says Renly will be dead by the morrow if he does not yield; Renly refuses. Brienne and Catelyn bond; intro of SER ROBAR ROYCE (Robar the Red).
33. SANSA 3: Sansa escorted by Hound to visit Joffrey; Joff is furious at Robb’s victories and has her stripped naked and beaten. Tyrion halts the madness; he offers Sansa a place to stay in the Tower of the Hand but she refuses.
34. CATELYN 4: Catelyn visits Renly, who is being dressed for battle in his tent by Brienne. Renly is slain by a shadow; Brienne is blamed. Catelyn and Brienne flee; Ser Robar helps them escape.
35. JON 4: Mormont & co. arrive at FIST OF THE FIRST MEN. Jon wanders off; Ghost finds a cache of dragonglass weapons wrapped in a Night Watchman’s cloak.
36. BRAN 5: Luwin tells Bran of Robb’s latest victories. The Walders learn they have lost a relative and are cheered. Bran warns everyone that this is what Jojen’s dream told them, but few believe him. Intro of Reek (RAMSAY BOLTON); Jojen warns that Reek will kill Bran and Rickon.
37. TYRION 8: News of Renly’s death arrives; many houses have now gone over to Stannis. Littlefinger volunteers to try and woo Highgarden to their cause by delivering an offer of marriage between Joffrey and Margaery.
38. THEON 3: Theon has taken a northern FISHING VILLAGE. Theon returns to his ship SEA BITCH; Intro of DAGMAR CLEFTJAW, who Theon flatters into following his orders. Dagmar told to raid Torrhen Square to draw Ser Rodrik away from Winterfell.
39. ARYA 8: Lord Tywin rules at Harrenhal but is leaving; Ser Amory made castellan. Arya beaten by Weese. She whispers his name to Jaqen; Weese later killed by own dog.
INSERT: Jaime Lannister attempts escape from Riverrun scene! Please? Thank you, Fire And Blood Productions! We love you.
40. CATELYN 5: Brienne swears service to Catelyn at Riverrun; news of Jaime’s attempted escape. An ill Hoster babbles incoherently from his bed, thinking Catelyn is Lysa. Catelyn is brought Ned’s bones.
41. DAENERYS 3: The Pureblood of Qarth have refused Dany’s plea for aid, though her dragons are popular. Quaithe warns her she must leave Qarth soon. A lot of Q’s here. Dany finally decides to see the warlocks.
42. TYRION 9: Myrcella departs on ship bound for Dorne; first mention of the Kettleblacks. On return, royal party is assaulted by mob; AARON SANTIGAR, SER PRESTON GREENFIELD, High Septon killed; Lollys gang-raped. Hound rescues Sansa. Tyrion learns the mob blames him for Joff’s incompetence.
43. DAVOS 2: At STORM’S END, SER CORTNAY PENROSE refuses Stannis’s demand to hand over Edric Storm. Later in council Stannis says that Cortnay will be dead by morning. Davos rows Melisandre beneath Storm’s End, where she births a shadow.
44. JON 5: At Fist of the First Men, QHORIN HALFHAND intro. Dissention amongst Mormont’s men. First mention of Rattleshirt, the Weeper. Mormont grants Qhorin’s request that Jon travel with him into Frostfangs.
45. TYRION 10: Tyrion meets with Lancel (now his spy) at the sept. After, Tyrion tells Bronn to take 50 men and seize Tommen and hold him at Rosby. Intro of SYMON SILVER TONGUE. More Shae sex. Varys later visits dressed as beggar; suggests Shae attend Lollys.
46. CATELYN 6: Edmure marches from Riverrun to meet Tywin in the field. Catelyn learns Ser Cortnay is dead and Stannis has taken Storm’s End. She later speaks to Ser Cleos who has new peace terms from Tyrion; learns Tywin is in retreat, though this worries her.
47. BRAN 6: Bran dreaming inside Summer; sees that Winterfell is being attacked. Theon takes Winterfell, takes Bran prisoner; Bran yields castle to protect others. Mikken killed by STYGG. Hodor beaten. Osha goes over to Theon’s side.
48. ARYA 9: Vargo Hoat & Brave Companions return to Harrenhal with northern captives. Jaqen consents to help Arya free them only after she names him as the third name; “Weasel Soup” commences; Harrenhal retaken. LORD ROOSE BOLTON arrives and makes Arya (Nan) his cupbearer. Ser Amory fed to a bear.
49. DAENERYS 4: Dany enters HOUSE OF THE UNDYING. Psychedelic maze wandering ensues; the number 3 prevalent, appearing over and over. Visions include PRINCE RHAEGAR TARGARYEN and PRINCESS ELIA OF DORNE. Dany attacked by Undying; Drogon burns down House. Pyat Pree attacks her once she is outside and is subdued.
50. TYRION 11: Tyrion sends Shagga and clansmen off to harry Stannis. Ser Balon Swann and SER OSMUND KETTLEBLACK sworn into Kingsguard. Tyrion suggests to NEW HIGH SEPTON that people might rally against Stannis for burning the Seven.
51. THEON 4: Theon wakes in Winterfell with Kyra; discovers some of his men have been killed and Bran, Rickon, Jojen, Meera, Hodor, and Osha are missing. Sets off with party to find them, incl. Reek, who says they are hiding in nearby mill. Theon and Reek head toward mill.
52. JON 6: Qhorin, Jon, EBBEN, STONESNAKE, SQUIRE DALBRIDGE navigate SKIRLING PASS. They fall upon sleeping wildlings, incl. ORELL, who is killed, and YGRITTE, who Jon spares. She tells tale of Bael the Bard. When told he must kill her, Jon instead lets Ygritte go.
53. SANSA 4: In godswood, Dontos tells Sansa she will be leaving on a ship soon. Sansa goes to roof to look at fires outside the city; meets the Hound. They talk. Later she dreams of blood, and wakes having had her first flowering. Sansa panics, tries to burn the sheets, is caught and brought to Cersei, who chastens and mocks her.
54. JON 7: Continuing through Skirling Pass; Jon and Qhorin speak of Mance Rayder. Later Jon dreams he is inside Ghost, speaking to Bran, then spying on wildling camp. An eagle attacks Ghost and Jon wakes. Ghost soon found injured. Dalbridge left behind to guard pass against pursuit.
55. TYRION 12: Tyrion receives word of Bran & Rickon’s deaths, talks to Cersei. Cersei reveals she has Tyrion’s “whore,” but it is Alayaya she holds. Intro OSNEY & OSFRYD KETTLEBLACK. Tyrion threatens Cersei, returns to room to find Shae. No Shae sex– Tyrion too stressed!
56. CATELYN 7: Catelyn mourns Bran & Rickon at Riverrun. While castle celebrates victories, Catelyn goes to dungeon with Brienne; makes pact with Jaime.
57. THEON 5: Asha arrives at Winterfell; she is critical of Theon’s decisions, esp. the murder of Bran & Rickon. Reek volunteers to ride for help; Theon grants it. It’s revealed the boys who were killed were not actually Bran & Rickon.
58. SANSA 5: Sansa prays in the sept as Stannis’s attack on King’s Landing is imminent. Sansa goes to Maegor’s Holdfast; Cersei hosts a party for noblewomen, trying to keep morale up. Ser Ilyn is here, looming.
59. DAVOS 3: Davos leads naval assault on Blackwater Bay aboard his BLACK BETHA. It goes well until it goes very badly; the fleet is beset by wildfire and cannot escape, as Tyrion’s chain is drawn up. Davos thrown from his exploding ship.
60. TYRION 13: Tyrion and Joffrey watch from the walls. Not all the ships burned; some have come ashore. Joffrey has Antler Men catapulted at the enemy. Tyrion orders the Hound to lead a defense of the King’s Gate but is refused. The Hound flees. Tyrion has to lead it himself.
61. SANSA 6: Cersei’s morale ball goes poorly, and even Cersei is angry and drunk. Cersei orders Joffrey brought to safety. Cersei forces wine on Sansa, says Ilyn will be used to kill the nobles if Stannis wins.
62. TYRION 14: Tyrion leads assault on attackers in defense of King’s Gate. They push through and move to defend Mud Gate. Tyrion forces horse onto a tangle of WRECKED GALLEYS; he is betrayed by Ser Mandon and cut across the face. Podrick saves the day by pushing Mandon overboard.
63. SANSA 7: Lancel informs Cersei the battle is lost. Cersei strikes him and leaves. Sansa calms remaining nobles. She is warned to return to her chambers by Dontos; encounters the Hound who is drunk and demands his song. Hound rips off white cloak and leaves. Later Dontos tells her victory was miraculously won– by Renly.
64. DAENERYS 5: Dany prepares to flee Qarth; talks with Jorah about House of the Undying. Another assassination attempt with a manticore is stymied by Arstan Whitebeard (Ser Barristan) and STRONG BELWAS, sent by Illyrio to return Dany to Pentos. She agrees to go with them.
65. ARYA 10: Harrenhal is a more frightening place with Roose Bolton in charge; intro of SEPTON UTT and QYBURN. Arya does her duties, talks to young SQUIRE ELMAR, leeches Bolton. Arya finds map of Riverlands and hatches escape plan; Arya slits a guard’s throat and escapes with Gendry and Hot Pie.
66. SANSA 8: Joffrey bestows honors; Lord Tywin takes over as Hand, LORD MACE TYRELL given seat on council, GARLAN TYRELL into; Joff disavows betrothal to Sansa and betroths Margaery. Joff calls for execution of traitors. Sansa later given hair net by Dontos in godswood; he promises she will be leaving on Joff’s name day celebration.
67. THEON 6: Theon watches many of his men flee the approach of Ser Rodrik. He treats with Rodrik and threatens to hang BETH CASSEL. Theon later considers taking the black until Ramsay Bolton (Reek) finally returns with help. Rodrik is killed. Ramsay betrays Theon, stabs Luwin, burns Winterfell.
68. TYRION 15: Tyrion wakes, drugged and bandaged. Face wound terrible. Father has replaced him as Hand. Bronn is now a knight. Life sucking ass.
69. JON 8: Ebben and Stonesnake sent off; Qhorin tells Jon he must yield and join wildlings to act as spy. Intro RATTLESHIRT; he has Ebben’s head. Ygritte and others urge Jon be spared; Jon forced to fight and kill Qhorin. Rattleshirt forced to take Jon to Mance for judgment.
70. BRAN 7: Summer & Shaggydog roam burned Winterfell. Bran, Rickon, Osha, Hodor, Jojen, Meera exit crypts, find bodies everywhere. Luwin still alive; dies after telling Osha to separate Bran and Rickon. Bran (and Summer) goes with Hodor, Jojen, Meera, heading north. Rickon (with Shaggydog) leaves with Osha.
FaB Notes: A Clash of Kings (70 chapters) actually has less chapters than A Game of Thrones (73), but they are longer; AGoT has 807 pages, while ACoK weighs in at 969, so 12 episodes rather than 10 is probably appropriate.
ACoK gives us some meaty Arya chapters, some excellent Theon stuff, the great introduction of Brienne, and it introduces Stannis, who should be very interesting. Tyrion absolutely shines. And it ends with the (literally) explosive Battle of the Blackwater, Tyrion’s chain, etc. Good stuff!
But here’s the bad news: some of the character arcs in this one aren’t nearly as gripping (or even as clear-cut) as most are from AGoT. Dave and D.B. are going to have to dig into their bag of tricks to keep the average viewer motivated to follow various storylines that don’t seem to be making much progress.
And it’s not so much a failing in the source material as it is the hard transition from page to screen; for example the early Jon chapters in ACoK are very readable, with good dialogue (and Dolorous Edd). But not much actually happens during the inexorable march north. The Ygritte story, the Qhorin Halfhand stuff… that doesn’t hit ‘til near the end.
Dany has her own issues, as she does almost nothing interesting until the House of the Undying, which is also at the end of her arc. If they’re really pushing Jon and Dany as two of the three main storylines, this one’s going to be a real challenge.
It could be argued ACoK is merely the progression of story, while A Storm of Swords is the actual payoff, and it’s hard to argue that, at least where Jon and Dany are concerned. Book 3 gets remembered for its fabulous weddings, sure, but both Jon and Dany have huge, excellent climaxes in ASoS as well. The problem is getting them there.
To put it in perspective, I have many friends who have read AGoT. Almost all went on to read ACoK, but only half of them finished it. By comparison, those who finished ACoK and went on to read ASoS (arguably the crown jewel of the entire series thus far) stuck with the series, went on to read A Feast for Crows, and are now still pining for A Dance with Dragons like the rest of us.
I have my own fixes for some of the issues; with Jon, for instance, I would introduce Ygritte earlier… perhaps have a wildling band stage a bold raid on Mormont’s caravan. Something (anything) to break up the monotony of the plodding march toward the Fist of the First Men.
Dany’s harder. I still don’t have a fix for her. There’s a real chance viewers could simply forget about her unless D&D invent a few new and interesting side-jaunts for her before she gets to Qarth. Or maybe something in Qarth. Or possibly even move some of her epic events from ASoS to season two.
Thoughts and ideas and idle speculation is welcome.