Quick Hits: Lists, lists and more lists
By Winter Is Coming on in Merchandise, Press.

Gonna get some of the little news items out of the way as I prepare to leave for LA tomorrow.

• The New Year celebration is over, but the year-end lists continue and Game Of Thrones seems to be on just about all of them. James Poniewozik of Time has it at the top of his “TV to Look Forward to in 2011” list, HitFix has it on their “20 Anticipated New Shows for 2011” list, Ken Tucker of EW.com has it at the top of his “10 TV events to look forward to in 2011” list and IGN calls Thrones their most anticipated show on their “2011 Midseason TV Preview.” UPDATE: We can add Blastr.comMercuryNew.com (first entry), and Metacritic to the list as well.
  • All the hype surrounding the show seems to be translating into book sales. A Game of Thrones appeared at #25 on the New York Times bestseller list for mass market paperbacks last week and then climbed a spot to #24 in the most recently published list. I expect it will continue to climb as the show gets closer, and especially when Bantam releases the HBO tie-in edition.
  • Sibel Kekilli (Shae) added another nomination to her name for the lead role in the German film When We Leave (Die Fremde). Kekilli has won a number of awards for that role and others, while the film leads the nominations lists of the German Film Critics Awards and is this year’s German candidate for the foreign language film Academy Award.
  • Lastly, a site note of interest to our international readers, we just created a page that will track and list all the channels planning to air Game Of Thrones around the world. Check back often for up-to-date air times and stations as we plan to keep it updated.

1. shagnasty
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

I picked up the 4 books first edition hardcover off ebay as soon as I found out HBO was gonna do thrones. I paid 90.00 for the set in excellent condition with dust covers. If they go up in value due to the series popularity I may sell them for a little profit seeing as I have them all on my kindle anyways.. if not, I will give them to my son when he is old enough.

2. c0venant
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Canal+ Scandinavia will air the show in fall/winter 2011. Really good planning. Sweden is the piracy nation of the world. Piratebay is swedish. I could have waited a week or two, but no way Im waiting half a year.

Canal+ is such a retard network. Other shows on other networks are one week behind the US such as Desperate Housewives.

Luckily my illegal download wont hurt HBO directly since I suppose Canal+ already have payed for the rights of airing the show.
    This only makes Canal+ the looser.

Does anyone know if HBO also airs in 1080p???

3. JH
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Is it wrong for me to be looking forward to the HBO tie-in editions? As much as I love the books, I’ve never enjoyed their graphic presentation. The covers have deserved a good rethink for a long time.

4. Andrea Burgos Prieto
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Thanks Winter!!

… and thanks Canal Plus!! I can’t wait for Winter!!

5. Johan Sporre
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

I’m having some hope to see GoT on Canal+ in April since the Danish article with comments on Nicolaj had a line saying that Canal+ hoped to air the series in April.

6. Phantomwriter05
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Oh now that there is something for it there is a strange bit of new I learned over the holidays.

I got AGOT audio book for my Birthday on Dec 21 and appearently there is a recall on all of the Audio books because they’re going through some sort of super secret reboot for the show.

(A Manger said that they were adding voices and sound affects.) not sure if that is true but it’s what I was told.

So they gave me the codes to download the old version on my Itunes and I’ll be getting the tie in CD’s in March.

So I thought I might put that out there for anyone interested.

*Whispers* I think that Martin might be announcing that some of the actors did some readings for the Audio Books. (Lena Headey, Sean Bean, The Dinkledge …)

though I could be wrong about that.

7. dizzy_34
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Phantomwriter05,

but will they edit Dotrice calling Jofferey, Jefferey?
    It looks like only one ‘announcement’ will be coming from Mr. Martin due to his illness. I think it’s good that he’s alluding that he’s really close to finishing though.

8. Kat
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Bugger. Bit disappointed that it’s going to be on Showcase (pay tv channel) in Australia. Rome was on free-to-air tv and I can’t afford any of the pay tv packages that include Showcase. I just can’t justify the cost for one show.

*Sigh* Guess I’m waiting for the DVDs unless a free channel also picks it up.

9. Caedes
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Just to get an idea… Canal + premiered “Boardwalk Empire” here in Spain the week after the series ending in US. So can we guess a July-August “Juego de Tronos”?… it doesn’t feel right to me. I guess they will delay it a little bit.

My hopes are for a near-simultaneous airing, much like “Fringe”, which shows in english (VERY rare here) with subs only four days after the original.

10. Petter Kristian Vikestad
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

I’m not waiting until winter 2011… *cough* download.

11. Johan Sporre
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

GoT also made the list (of the most frequent blogger) on Sweden’s most popular TV-blog. She also has Boardwalk Empire as the best series this year and is a fan of (at least) the first book so she has some taste :)

12. paulgude
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Phantomwriter05,

That’s pretty interesting.

Bonus if they have Kristian Nairn pop in for every “Hodor!”

13. Johan Sporre
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Happy news for all Swedes (and other Scandinavians I guess):
    just went to http://www.canalplus.se and on their front-page saw this where they write that GoT will premiere during Spring :)

For the rest of you there’s not much new, although the writer asks if GoT is the most anticipated tv-series ever.

14. Anne-Katrine Buch
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Johan Sporre,

Yes! I’m working on getting parents and friends less fluent in english to see the show as well – and it’ll be way easier if there’s subtitles.

I work in a bookstore in Copenhagen and we got the numbers for the Christmas sale monday, and it shows the same thing as the NY bestsellerlist. We sold 17 copies of A Game of Thrones, 14 of A Clash of Kings, 13 of A Storm of Swords and 9 of Crows. And that is A LOT for a fantasy series that’s not Twilight.
    So the word’s spreading here too… (It helps of course, that NCW is in it ^_^)

15. Kingthlayer
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

16. Tamsin Cleo German
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Posted January 5, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Kingthlayer: FYI – on the old “Not A Blog” GRRM just posted about a harrowing Xmas episode in hospital (he’s doing well now) but he said there will no longer be any announcements at the LA event. That pretty much solidifies to me that the announcement was about finishing Dance. anyway, my best to GRRM and his family.

I know, it’ s like the Old Gods don’t want him to finish ADWD! The LA Event would have been the coolest place for such an announcement!

But at least he’s still going. All of us (especially WiC) would have been pretty bummed if he canceled. He’s a trooper.

18. Feeblegenius
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Permalink

Tamsin Cleo German: Jeebus but that’s interesting about the audiobooks. To be honest I’d be happy if they would just re-record AFFC with Roy Dotrice reading. I couldn’t bear the other guy. I had to go back and read it in print instead.Makes me think… one of my very favorite Dotrice voices is the one he does for Dolores Edd. I wonder who they’ll get to play Edd if GoT gets a season 2.

Amen to all of that! If Dotrice would just record AFFC, it would please me to no end. His Edd voice was great and I loved his Late Lord Frey and Queen of Thorns even! The guy did well over 500 voices over the course of 3 books, and while it’s impossible for them all to be unique, what Dotrice laid down was simply awesome. Most impressive to me was while his voices for each male Lannister were distinct, you could instantly tell they were from the same house before they even told you who was speaking.

Team Dotrice forever!

19. Team Tyrion
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 12:04 am | Permalink

I work for a new and used book store and ASoIaF is flying off the shelves! I ask everyone who brings them up to the till whether they’ve read them or not: they all say “no” but that they heard about it online/from a friend/saw the trailer. Lots of people who say they “don’t read fantasy” normally. Lots of new readers, lots of potential viewers. Fan Girl sqee. SQEEE!

20. Jarmel
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 12:29 am | Permalink

Either that or he is planning on extending the series into eight books. *Evil Laugh*

21. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 1:19 am | Permalink

All the best to George and speedy recovery.

22. spacechampion
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 1:29 am | Permalink

c0venant: Does anyone know if HBO also airs in 1080p???

Well, we get HBO Canada in 1080p and 480p so they must be available to all channels buying HBO programs in both formats.

23. Steel_Wind
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 1:34 am | Permalink

Amen to that.

BTW, not sure if you know this, but the Dotrice version of one of the books vanished for a time and there was some other reader reading ASoS. No, I don’t mean John Lee ewading AFFC, I mean I’ve seen a recording of someone other than Dotrice reading ASoS. (It’s a shock and I don’t recommend it.)

My sincere hope is that they are re-releasing the audio books with Dotorice reading AFFC as well as ADWD.

That would TOTALLY 100% ROCK.

I know that it is hard to explain to an author as careful and meticulous as GRRM that I actually prefer to listen to Dotrice read his books rather than read GRRM’s books directly — but I must admit that it’s true.

I’ve read ASoIaF four time or so now (at least) — and listened to the Dotrice versions about 7 or 8 times each now; howeve, I could only sit through J0hn Lee’s reading of AFFC once. The second time, I bailed half-way in to Hota’s first chapter in AFFC. I just can’t take it.

For those who have never listened to Roy Dotrice reaf ASoIaF on your iPod, I highly recommend it. Listening to the entire series read by Dotrice (well, books 1-3, at any rate) is like a vacation from the world for a month or so; truly transportive and immersive in a way that the page doesn’t quite manage.

24. Steel_Wind
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 1:37 am | Permalink

Alexander Dubrovsky: All the best to George and speedy recovery.I too think that the announcement was about ADWD. This also means that he’s REALLY close to finishing the book, if something that took couple of weeks from his working schedule interfered with his plans to announce it in few days.

I agree 100%. The chances of ADwD coming out at or about the time that GoT airs is approaching a certainty now. I’m pumped!

25. RitariKnight
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 2:58 am | Permalink

Johan Sporre: Happy news for all Swedes (andother Scandinavians I guess):

Canal+ in Finland has the exact same schedule and programming as Canal+ in Sweden has (apart from the sports channels), and I’m guessing it’s the same for Denmark and Norway, so all four Nordic countries will get in the Spring. That’s great news, although I’ll still be downloading every episode as soon as they’ll available since I can’t wait even a few days or weeks to see GoT. I do subscribe to C+, so in a way I’m paying HBO indirectly even, if I’m downloading. I’ll also buy the DVD/BR box sets as soon as they’re out (yes, both of them just to support HBO to keep the show on the air).

26. Rimshot
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 3:41 am | Permalink

I tried to find out if any of the Irish channels are going to air GOT but couldn’t find anything. Residents of NI are able to receive all of the Irish channels. There are 3 main channels – RTE1, RTE2 & TV3. (There’s also TG4 but that’s an Irish Language channel). They are usually on the ball with these shows. They had ‘Lost’ almost simultaneously with the US broadcasts and the recently had ‘Pillars of the Earth’ amongst others.

I hope they pick this up as I have no intention of getting SKY and I don’t want to wait for the DVDs.

27. 4l3x
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 3:57 am | Permalink

I thought that Orange bought the rights for the show in France, not Canal +. There have been rumors of a fusion but no confirmation yet.
    Anyway even if the fusion takes place it’s not really clear on which channel the various programms will be aired.
    Do you have a link to your information ?

And since this is my first post thank you for this website, it’s great, I read it every day and each day I get a little more impatient.

28. Rimshot
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 4:08 am | Permalink

I’ve just discovered that RTE Two (the channel that was most likely to show GOT in Ireland) have recently secured a deal to show ‘Camelot’ in Spring 2011

I’m not sure if RTE would (or could afford) to show both Camelot & GOT at roughly the same time.

To quote Father Jack…

‘ARSE! FECK! FECKIN GOBSHITE!!’

29. Johan Sporre
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 4:28 am | Permalink

RitariKnight,

I’ll do the same. Try to watch each episode Monday morning before going to work and then watching it on Canal+ (with friends) as well.

30. Adam Whitehead
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 4:35 am | Permalink

Rimshot, the Sky deal covers both the UK and the Republic of Ireland. Unless Sky decide to re-lease the rights (highly unlikely, there was probably an exclusivity clause in their contract with HBO), the only way to see GoT in both the UK and the Republic will be on Sky Atlantic. Sorry :-(

31. Rimshot
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 5:58 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

DVDs it is then! This place will be intolerable!

Posted January 6, 2011 at 6:24 am | Permalink

4l3x,

This is the Spanish bit of news on Thrones rights. You are right in that GRRM first mentioned Orange in connection with GoT airing in Spain, but that has become obsolete, apparently.

33. Chris
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 6:51 am | Permalink

Phantomwriter05,

I hope reboot the audiobooks does not mean that they have decided to change the story ( keeping Bean for a second season LOL). Regardless of when it airs in Germany, I hope to get it soon with my US itunes account, worked fine with Walking Dead and True Blood…

34. Steve Adams
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 7:45 am | Permalink

Assuming that one of the announcements was ADWD being finished (very likely given the circumstances), I believe we can probably expect George to finish the book within 3-4 weeks max. Given an early February completion, when should we expect ADWD to be published? I know we’ve had a debate before on whether they will try to push it to be published before, during, or after the HBO show airs…

I know AFFC was published in the UK about 5 months after completion. I had heard that parts of ADWD have already been edited in advance, so it’s quite possible they can fast-track it for a May 2011 publication. I guess time will tell!

35. 4l3x
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 8:27 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Thanks for you quick answer , but I was referring to the French rights, not the spanish ones. Since I can’t read spanish can you give me the french link as well ?

36. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 8:49 am | Permalink

>Thank you, thank you,THANK YOU for that last bit listing all the channels planning to air Game Of Thrones around the world! I see I have to make a move on to subscribe to HBO in the next few months! Incidentally this is really a great site!! :)

37. rorschach-
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 8:54 am | Permalink

RitariKnight,

Johan Sporre,

Same here. But if I still download the episodes from internet I’m a criminal. Copyright laws really are a tad retarted. At least in Finland.

For those fins that don’t yet know. Finnish ASOIAF-page has asked about airing from YLE (free channels of Finland) and they have said that by contract they can air GoT at earliest in spring 2012

Shame that we probably can’t hear the “big news” in TCA (still hoping for miracle) but good that George is feeling well. I was bit worried. Still pretty excited. Can I already say it… We get DWD this spring!

38. Knurk
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 9:12 am | Permalink

Chris,

spoiler tags?

39. pitchforkdisney
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

Very frustrating – don’t wanna subscribe to Sky, but Virgin provide my cable TV in the UK and this new ‘Sky Atlantic’ channel’s gonna cost an arm and a leg. That’ll restrict viewers over here.

Posted January 6, 2011 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Andrija Andrew P,

You’re welcome Andrija. And yes, you definitely should, HBO seem to be taking good care of our countries ;) The Rabbit is ecstastic :P

41. Gurgi
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Phantomwriter05,

Wow that will be cool beans. I like the audiobook versions but a sound effect and acted version will be just that much better.

42. Clark Coston
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 10:58 am | Permalink

I wish they would update the Kindle version of AGoT. I came across many glaring typos when reading that version, and often Dorne would become “Dome”.

Posted January 6, 2011 at 11:03 am | Permalink

4l3x,

Oh, I truly am sorry. I see that I have misread your question … and GRRM was talking about France as well when he mentioned Orange. Now that I am rechecking, it could be that I confused things and this info still holds. What is the site of the Orange channel in France? I though they were only a mobile/internet/digitalTV provider …

44. Ed
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

I Approve of this Post!!

I listen to my aSoIaF audio books practically every single night when I go to bed. I just find a random spot in any of the first three books and drift off. That guy reading AFFC is HORRIBLE!!! Oh God… He was running down a list of food once and I was laughing out loud because of how… DUMB it all sounded, cause he was trying SO hard to make it sound delectable. Ugh.

Feeblegenius:
    Team Dotrice forever!

45. Flo
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Wow, that’s so typical.
    No airing dates for Germany, we’re such a hillbilly in tv media stuff -.-

46. Peltast
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Mixed feelings about the new audiobook readings. On one hand it will be awesome to hear the actors to do their lines, and I would definitely buy and listen to it if one such version is released, but Mr. Dotrice’s whole reading is pretty spectacular, and it would be a real shame if the old version would not be available anymore.

And yeah, a Dotrice reading of AFFC would be great, I’ve been holding off buying the AFFC audiobook because of overwhelmingly negative word-of-mouth.

47. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Personally I couldn’t get into the audio book of A Game of Thrones nearly as much as I did when I was reading. The voice acting didn’t really enhance it for me and hearing a man make the voices for women tended to break my immersion.

48. Stevron
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

WiC, you can add Metacritic to the list…

“Fantasy fans have been eagerly awaiting the premiere of HBO’s big-budget adaptation of the best-selling A Song of Ice and Fire series of novels by George R.R. Martin. This dark and violent epic is set in a medieval land where seasons last for decades. Tom McCarthy (The Station Agent) directed the pilot, and the cast includes Peter Dinklage (also of The Station Agent).”

49. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted January 7, 2011 at 12:44 am | Permalink

Competely off-topic here, but is anyone else going batshit crazy with the wait and relative ack of news since before the holidays? This isn’t an attempt to flame anyone or anything about the project. I am just going stir-crazy here waiting for the show or any relavant news/clips from it. I realize GRRM was not well. I also realize that HBO probably was a little slow with news the last few weeks, but with the lack of BE and nothing new about Thrones I am alternating between bored and antsy! I hope the upcoming press junket ends up divulging some new tidbits. Sorry, rant off! lol

50. mummer
    Posted January 7, 2011 at 2:44 am | Permalink

Lord Ned’s Head,

Wait, you mean you missed the posts last week about the casting of the Blackfish and the first video clip of the Others? They must be on the previous page now or maybe the page before that.

51. mummer
    Posted January 7, 2011 at 2:45 am | Permalink

(Sorry, I know that was a little wrong.)

52. Adam Whitehead
    Posted January 7, 2011 at 3:02 am | Permalink

Steve Adams,

According to both UK and US publishers, the book will be out 3 months after hand-in, so if he hands it in February, then May becomes the earliest possibility. It might be June or July, though. It depends if the publishers can clear a hole in their schedule and at the printers and another giga-selling book isn’t coming out at the same time etc.

Clark Coston,

A brand-new, properly-formatted and spellchecked Kindle version of A GAME OF THRONES is now out on Amazon UK, with the rest of the books to follow. Voyager sneaked it out on Christmas Eve. Whether this edition will make it to the USA, I don’t know.

53. 4l3x
    Posted January 7, 2011 at 3:24 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

You’re right Orange is mainly a mobile/internet/digital TV provider but it also broadcasts pay channels for its subscribers.
    Here is the Orange cinema/series channels website. But I couldn’t find any information on Thrones there. However on Allocine (a french TV/cinema news website) I found a piece of news from november the 5th about Orange getting the rights for Thrones.
    So I think that for the moment it still Orange that will air the show in France; although the likely fusion with Canal+ will probably change things a bit…

54. sjwenings
    Posted January 7, 2011 at 3:24 am | Permalink

Lord Ned’s Head: Competely off-topic here, but is anyone else going batshit crazy with the wait and relative ack of news since before the holidays?  Quote  Reply

For what it’s worth: A little bit, yes. We’ve been spoiled, i guess.

Posted January 7, 2011 at 3:30 am | Permalink

Thanks for the link! I’ll correct the page ASAP, certainly today. Much appreciated.

56. sjwenings
    Posted January 7, 2011 at 4:11 am | Permalink

sjwenings: For what it’s worth: A little bit, yes. We’ve been spoiled, i guess.  Quote  Reply

…and theres some news. totally forgot about the preview report thingy, for some reason.

57. RitariKnight
    Posted January 9, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

I noticed the International Airings page still has different premiere times for Canal+ in Sweden and Finland. As I said before, they have the same programming, as do Denmark and Norway, so if it airs in the Spring in Sweden on Canal+, it will do so also in Finland, Denmark, and Norway. I asked Canal+ Finland about Canal+ Sweden claiming to air it in the Spring, and they said it was rather optimistic, but they would let me know as soon as they have a definitive date.

Here’s the direct quote in Finnish:

Leffa- ja sarjaohjelmisto on tosiaan sama kaikissa CANAL+-maissa. Mutta kun HBO:n mukaan Game Of Thrones starttaa jenkeissä huhtikuussa, on tuo ruotsalaisten kevätlupaus varsin optimistinen. Ilmoittelen heti, kunhan päivämäärä varmistuu!

Posted January 9, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

RitariKnight,

Thanks, will update with the info on shared programming scheme.

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by The Rabbit. The Rabbit said: RT @WiCnet: New post: Quick Hits: Lists, lists and more lists http://bit.ly/fEfCbO #GameofThrones [...]