The Maester’s Path: Secrets of the box?
By Winter Is Coming on in Marketing.

The Maester's PathWe got into this a bit in the last post, but wanted to bring it to a new post for discussion. Plus I made a discovery today that might be the start of something…

First off, this post by Making Game of Thrones where they have quotes from both Elio of Westeros and myself made me suspicious that maybe there was something more to this box than meets the eye. It could be nothing, but it seems like HBO is trying to lead us to something. But what?

Elio aka Ran wondered about the symbols that coorespond to the different scents in the small vials. He says “These may be nothing more than a pleasant visual detail, to give the scrolls a bit of extra visual impact, but… but… Something makes us think that if there are any secrets to be found in the Maester’s Path, these symbols are going to be keys to unlocking them.”

So he made an image that compiles all the symbols together. Not much can be made of them yet, but we might get more clues later on and this reference could come in handy.

Then commentor zep243 noticed in the last thread that certain sentences on the location scrolls have bold letters. There doesn’t seem to be rhyme or reason as to what letters are highlighted, it’s not consistent. This might just be some artistic touch, but it might be more.

So I went through and checked all the scrolls and discovered there are different levels of highlighting. The weakest highlighting seems to be the most random, the middle only comes at the beginning of a sentence after one of the hypens, and then the strongest is the large letter at the beginning of each scroll. Not sure what it all means, if anything, but I compiled them all here anyway:

Weak – Normal
Middle – Italic
Strong – Bold

Pentos – TS
Crossroads Inn – FT
King’s Landing – R | TT
Winterfell – NDA | AW
Dothraki Sea – H | TA

Weak – RNDAH
Middle – TFTAT
Strong – STTWA

No clear pattern or word emerges however. And the lack of vowels other than “A” seems to indicate the whole thing is just random. Or maybe the answer is hidden deeper in? Maybe it’s in code? Possible, but no way of knowing for sure.

This morning I was going over everything again to see if maybe I missed something. As I’m folding up the map I notice something I hadn’t seen before. Letters. Very faintly printed on the back of the map.

Hidden Message?

A hidden message of some kind? Seems like it. It looks like 4 or 5 words on two separate lines. The top line is easier to see and looks like it says “THE BOTTOM” or maybe “THE HOLLOW”? The second line is very faint and hard to make out. My wife and I tried a number of different methods of trying to get the letters to appear more clearly. We tried holding it over a light, under a blacklight, dabbing it with lemon juice.. we even tried using some of the scents that came in the box. Nothing seemed to work. I took the image into Photoshop and manipulated the contrast a bit and some of the letters became a little clearer.

Hidden Message Photoshop

Still impossible to decipher the whole message. And really, to solve this shouldn’t take Photoshop. It should take something that maester’s would have access to. But I can’t think of what else to try that wouldn’t also completely destroy my map. I am hoping someone else might have some idea or might be better at reading faint print than I am. Or maybe someone else has this hidden message on their map and it is printed a little clearer? I’m hoping so, because right now I’m convinced there is something to this but being unable to figure out what exactly is driving me nuts.

UPDATE: Steve Coulson, director of Campfire, the company behind this campaign tweets:

“Support the bottom” is not a clue, sorry :) Not even “Support Flea Bottom”. (But admittedly, that would have been even funnier :)

Seems it was just some artifact that probably got on there somehow during the aging process. Bummer. But nice job to all figuring it out. Now Campfire knows we are no slouch when it comes to sleuthing!

1. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

cHRCK THE BOX FOR A HOLLOWED OUT ARA ON THE BOTTOM!

2. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Lord Ned’s Head,

Ahem! I said..Check the box for a hollowed-out area on the bottom!” hehe

Posted February 26, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Lord Ned’s Head, already tried that. It’s solid all the way around.

4. Putter
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

What is the map made out of? The top line looks like it says NC Cotton to me…

5. Phantomwriter05
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Maybe it’s an anagram … or a key to the letters in the notes.

of course it could also be a marking to inform the people who were putting the box together that, that paper belongs in your box?

Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Putter, it’s made out of parchment paper.

7. BobJ
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Maybe try looking at the map in different colored light? Not necessarily a black light, but red or green filtered? A stretch I know…

8. Sparq
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if these scents also double as invisible ink revealers. The very faint lettering you see is a telltale sign of invisible ink being used.

Either that or the lettering could be revealed by applying heat, but I don’t think you want to test that hypothesis. :P

9. Minotic
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

The golden… my girlfriend came up with that. Dunno if it is correct though.

10. durandal
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Looking at “the bottom of the map”, the only thing I’ noticed that Dorne is missing.
    It’s probably nothing, still…

11. Jose
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

it’s like the Westeros version of the Da Vinci Code

12. jltb
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Is it possible you have it upside down, and those “letters” relate to the scent symbols? I could see the letter that looks like a ‘B’ actually being The symbol for leather when turned over. The O could be Summerfruit, the two Ts maybe campfire, etc… Still not sure what that would mean, but maybe that’s the code?

13. Zolt
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Have you tried heat? Not enough obviously to do damage, but warm it up a little.

14. Darkenmal
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

You destroyed the map? Lol.

15. marzman
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

i had a look at the image in photoshop as well, but the image is not good enough… too fuzzy. WiC.. can you take another picture with the same lightning across that area of the map. maybe try to light the map from behind?

16. Tar Kidho
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

All very exciting this, but I can’t get the picture out of my mind that some people over at HBO are laughing their socks of as we try to discover secrest that don’t exist at all :-)

Maybe the faint text is just part of making the parchment look genuinly old? There’s also a lot of other stains around… That said, I’m a fan of fantasy, so of course I desperately want to believe there’s some big mystery to be discovered!

17. Tony Western
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Is there an identifiable scent associated with the map?

18. Saso Alauf
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Maybe the text is in Dothraki…not that it helps, I can’t make out anything, but it might present a new way to look at it…

19. HB
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Could the top line be: “The Bolton”?

Otherwise, flipping the picture upside down I can make out:

“lways Su…
    The Bottom”

20. marzman
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

i think the top says “the bottom”

21. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Tony Western,

That was my guess as well.

HB:

Otherwise, flipping the picture upside down I can make out:

“lways Su…
    The Bottom”

Yeah, maybe they’re just directions for which way to print/paint the map on the other side.

22. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Also, how did Catelyn’s cipher work that we read from that message of hers. Could either the letter combinations or the words on the back be written in the same code?

23. durandal
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

HB,

Following HB ‘s hint, I’ve manipulated the picture with Iphoto and came up with this: “Always support the bottom”???

24. marzman
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Steve Hugh Westenra,

I had the same thought and just read that passage. but catelyn does not say anything about their secret language.

25. Tysnow
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

(something) SUPPORT
    is the top line
    and of course mentioned already
    THE BOTTOM is last line

26. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

marzman,

It’s not in the book, but there was a promotional photo that was released a while back, which had her message from Lisa in it. Someone from on here deciphered the code (which was apparently very basic).

27. marzman
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Steve Hugh Westenra,

oh yeah… I forgot. of course, you are right.

28. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

*Lysa. ;p

29. rorschach-
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

“Always support the bottom” but there is no Dorne in the map… what?

30. Tar Kidho
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

I’ve also spent some time pulling out the detail:

It really does seem to say ‘always support the bottom’, as Durandel suggested. So either this is just a note from when they were making this, or you should really get to taking apart the bottom of your nice little box, Winter ;-)

31. marzman
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

rorschach-,

I agree “always support the bottom”… bottom of the chest? maybe you have to push from underneath the chest.

32. Matt
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

It looks like “Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.”

33. Rinoa De la Pica
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

This is so exciting! (Sorry for not being helpful, but at least I can be your cheerleader. GO, GO, WiC, You Have to Solve it Before the Others!) :)

34. Spork
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Have you tried viewing it in a mirror? Some of the words look reversed to me.

35. The Reader
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Matt – I did a spit take on my monitor. Thanks.

36. rorschach-
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

marzman,

Now the only thing is to convince somebody with the chest to break the bottom if maybe there is something inside.. Good luck with that :D

37. marzman
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

rorschach-,

haha… maybe that’s how WiC can prove his fandomian devotion to the cause!
    actually I was thinking that flipping the chest ontop and have a look at the bottom, maybe there is something to press or a hole or something.

38. paulgude
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

I pulled out some detail as well.

There were some shadows on the map, which made a lot of noise.

The top line seems to say, “The bottom,” but the bottom line is hard for me to parse.

39. marzman
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

paulgude,

if you flip the image vertically (so that “the bottom” is the second line) you should get “always support the bottom”… at least that’s what I am seeing.

40. Liesie
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

EXCITING!!!! I’m really clueless what this ‘hidden secret’ could be all about, but I feel like a child again ;-)

41. Tar Kidho
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

marzman:
    rorschach-,

haha… maybe that’s how WiC can prove his fandomian devotion to the cause!

No, at this point breaking up the case is definitely the only way forward. If Winter has grown too emotionally attached to the box to do so, I will selflessly take upon me this horrible task. Just send me the completely filled box, and I shall not fail nor falter!

42. Tar Kidho
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

marzman,

agreed, check my link above…

43. marzman
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

tried your link.. but I don’t have a access. I get a 403 error message :-(

44. paulgude
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

marzman,

Ha! Well I’ll be..

Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

There we go! :) An artifact of parchment production? Sceptical it has to do with any intended code …

46. marzman
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

hang on guys…. is “always support the bottom” not a standard inprint on all sorts of boxes and cartons?? maybe it’s just some imprint from the box the paper was delivered in? and the phrase does not sound very westerosi to me either.

47. Mike
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

marzman:
    rorschach-,

That, or it’s just a pice of paper that at one time was underneath a pan or container that had the words “Always Support the Bottom” embossed on the bottom. For example:

I guess they emboss their pans in Westeros. Who knew?

48. Mike
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

… my link didn’t come through. Just google image search the words “always support the bottom” and you’ll see what I mean.

49. marzman
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

haha… jeez that is such great fun ;-)

50. Spork
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Mike,

Yeah, but if it were an imprint like that, it would be a mirror image.

Also, isn’t the font similar to the writing in the rest of the scrolls?

Seems intentional.

Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

50 days! We’re halfway through the countdown clock.

52. The Darkstar
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Campfires true blood marketing had interactions with websites. Could this message have something to to with the bottom of hbo website or themaesterspath site and not the box…

53. marzman
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

here is a brilliant version of that picture… all cleaned up and easy to read
    link

54. Eddard's Bones
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Have you tried running a lighter across it quickly?

Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Spork: Yeah, but if it were an imprint like that, it would be a mirror image.

It is mirrored.

56. rorschach-
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Who knows Elios phonenumber? We need to compare these maps. Maybe there are different kinds of words… or maybe it’s nothing.

57. Tar Kidho
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

marzman:
    Tar Kidho,

tried your link.. but I don’t have a access. I get a 403 error message

In the meantime Paul also posted his version, but here’s my link anyway:
    (should work, and I dunno why the other link didn’t work…)

marzman:

The only thing I could say in defense of our mad mistery quest is that the text does look rather written than printed, but even if true that doesn’t make it automatically a clue to some HBO intended mistery. There’s a good chance that someone at HBO has been following this thread with rising disbelief about how insanely good we are at CSI stuff :-)

58. Wolfheart
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

The residual image of text may be from the antiquing process in making the map. Where embossed text on the area where the parchment was laying on gathering more of the stuff in making the parchment look old. Kinda like when making dyed easter eggs. Sometimes you get a ring of extra color or even far less on a egg thats dipped with a wire. Just a thought.

Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

“Always support the bottom” does seem to be the phrase. Once I held it up to a mirror you can kind of make it out. But I have no idea what it might mean. I checked the bottom of the box thoroughly and there’s nothing there. No false bottom either. Hmm….

60. Mirax
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Is anyone else (Ran) checking out their maps for something similar? If none of the others have any writing on them then I would say it was just a weird coincidence.

61. Wolfheart
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Wolfheart:

Would also explain the mirrored text image.

Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Mirax, Ran said he didn’t see anything on his map.

63. marzman
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho: There’s a good chance that someone at HBO has been following this thread with rising disbelief about how insanely good we are at CSI stuff :-)

exactly… let’s see if we can find some fingerprints and track down whoever left that imprint on the back of the scroll and got our hopes high for about an hour. “vengeance” I say ;-)

64. Rinoa De la Pica
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

marzman,

If you look the picture Paul Gude linked, the font can’t be from a regular box. It’s like handwritting or something.

65. Mirax
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Hmm, would HBO give everyone separate clues and expect all the critics and bloggers to work together to figure it out, though?

66. marzman
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Rinoa De la Pica,

maybe… but I think it just got blurry because the paper must have been processed somehow to get the parchment effect.

67. Rinoa De la Pica
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Rinoa De la Pica,

Anyways, don’t mind me, I din’t read the rest of the comments. You guys write fast hehe

68. marzman
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

okay HBO!! you had your fun. do you see how devoted the GoT fans are? I think we earned a reward. Now give us another hint and a new trailer!!!!!

69. durandal
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

‘Always support the bottom’!

Is that HBO’s way of telling us to sit? :-)

70. rorschach-
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

So there was a container like in marzmans link, filled with tea and tadaa, we have “old parchment”. Not having that text in Elios map pretty much confirms it.

Congratulations us. Maybe we should tone down our excitement level a bit… Though I have been laughing last 10 minutes like crazy so it’s really been worth it.

71. Spork
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

D’oh.

I take back my earlier statement. Must be an artifact, not intentional. The updated picture does not seem to be the same script. Wild geese anyone?

WiC, you may still be onto something with the bolded letters though, I originally wondered the same thing but didn’t pay as close attention as you did.

72. Tar Kidho
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

durandal:
    ‘Always support the bottom’!

Is that HBO’s way of telling us to sit?

Maybe it’s a safety issue that will appear on screen before every episode, making sure people are sitting down so nobody is knocked of their socks when all the cool and shocking things take place!

73. Mike
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Spork:
    Mike,

Yeah, but if it were an imprint like that, it would be a mirror image.

Also, isn’t the font similar to the writing in the rest of the scrolls?

Seems intentional.

A mirror image isn’t a mirror image if you’re looking at it from the other side. Wow. That was deep. And, the font is consistent with what would appear on a pice of paper marked from a pan. See marzman’s post, supra. But, what the Seven Hells. We’ve got nothing else to do for the next 50 days and 5 hours. Keep it coming.

74. Phoenix_torn
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

durandal:
    ‘Always support the bottom’!

Is that HBO’s way of telling us to sit?

That’s it! Everybody start looking at the Hand’s Chair pic again! :P

75. marzman
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

rorschach-: Though I have been laughing last 10 minutes like crazy so it’s really been worth it.

me too.. i think this was one of the most hilarious episodes of geeky fandom!

76. paulgude
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

One way we might explain the handwriting is if a props person with a service industry background and a sense of humor carved that into a serving tray and then that tray was used in making Winter’s map.

Farfetched, maybe, but plausible.

77. Wyatt Dorn
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Some disappearing inks are supposed to b activated by urine. I’m gonna assume it’s the ammonia that works the magic, so you might want to try straight ammonia before swabbing piss on your treasure.

78. Matt Tuten
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

79. Shinyteapot
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

A few obvious questions:

Are we sure we have all the locations/scents? It surprises me that the crossroads inn would be included but the wall omitted (or the eyrie). It might make more sense if there were others.

Is it significant that the Arryn symbol is missing from the map? I don’t remember Lysa’s code, but it might tie in here (the Arryn symbol might be missing if the map is from that area, showing the others but presuming the ‘home’ one known).

What do the symbols mean? They may well be an alphabet, or correspond to certain letters. Some of them look a little like letters (e.g. salt harbour could be a w). Or the highlighted letters could be a recipe for more scents.

Where are the higlighted letters? It may be that what matters is their position (in the word, sentence or document) rather than the actual letter.

If we are missing some of the locations, it’s entirely possible that the code spells something we won’t see without them all. Or maybe it’s coincidence that the weak letters include the word HAND.

It seems quite likely that a few more links might be required before the problem can be solved.

Posted February 26, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Don’t discount the message even if it’s only on Winter’s map… If HBO was gonna send a secret message, I think they’d probably only put it in his map because they know how crazy we are. They wouldn’t send secret messages to the other critics.

81. seb332
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

security at any airport will notice if there is a hidden part. Time to buy a airline ticket Winter ;)

Posted February 26, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Steve Coulson, director of Campfire, the company behind this campaign tweets:

83. Katja
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Lol this is hilarious! I got all excited for all of five minutes there!

I’m pretty sure this must be unintentional, if you look at the best images it could easily be a typed font that’s very unclear. Must be the only sloppy thing the makers of the boxed did, but it was definitely entertaining!

84. Shinyteapot
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Looking at the note again, there are some vague similarities between some of the symbols and some of the letters in Lysa’s message, but probably not enough to be anything other than coincidence.

85. Tysnow
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

If you look at the message as an anagram, it will be a secret command from the council…………”To Slay both the Tar Pups”

86. Rinoa De la Pica
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

I think these Campfire friends did it on purpose haha.

87. Liesie
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Matt Tuten: Has anyone with one of this awesome boxes tried the combined scents, as an invisible ink revealer, on the back of their instruction scrolls yet?

I was thinking that as well, but that would require some very badass chemistry :-p

88. paulgude
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

It’s possible that some places are missing to reduce the number of variables in a code. For example, if the combined scents are some sort of invisible ink activator, maybe they work on a specific area on the map or on a section of text related to that place, each new group would make the combinations more complex.

89. Tysnow
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

If you look at the message “Always Support the Bottom” as an anagram, it could be a secret command from the council that reads after deciphered…………”To Slay Both the Tar Pups”. I had thought to translate “Slay the tart pup” and throw the rest out, but they did not know Viserys was dead, so then I regorganized to “Slay Both the Tar Pups”, with just the (TO) left over so I just threw it in to create “To Slay Both the Tar Pups”.

90. Tar Kidho
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Tysnow,

Besides the fact that someone from the marketing company has tweeted that ‘always support the bottom’ wasn’t put on the map on purspose, you also lack one ‘h’ and are left with ‘w’, ‘o’, and ‘m’… I think it’s time to give up on this mistery :)

91. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

So back to the other clues?

92. Tar Kidho
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

paulgude: if the combined scents are some sort of invisible ink activator

I could believe that any of the scent fluids might act as an invisible ink activator (e.g. due to the fairly low pH if the aroma compounds are dissolved in alcohol), but surely a combination of three components to react on one specific place on the map is way too farfetched. This would involve very sofisticated chemistry, especially since the reactant needs to maintain the original mixed-in scents. (and mixing the scents into a ‘perfume’ does not normally involve a chemical reaction) Also, would HBO really go through all this trouble with the likelines that it is wasted effort if it remains undiscovered? It’s all just too complex…

93. Phoenix_torn
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

Time to give up and start playing about with the scents. What other Houses can we make with the ones we already have?

94. paulgude
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

Knowing next to nothing about chemistry, I won’t argue that. I was just using the “invisible ink” example to underscore the main idea that countries may have been left out to reduce the number of variables in a code.

95. Tysnow
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Didn’t see the tweet, oh well.

96. Franny Bee
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

I think you need to set it on fire with a human sacrifice to activate it. But I’d hate to ruin the parchment.

97. paulgude
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Winter, the “scent strips” look a little anachronistic compared to the rest of the materials. Do you know what they’re made out of? Do they change colors at all when the scents are applied to them?

98. mummer
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

“Support the bottom” is destined to become one of the hardest-to-explain fan in-jokes ever… yay!

Posted February 26, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Franny Bee, bahahaha! *hits Like button on comment*

paulgude, they just seem like a heavy-weight paper. They don’t change color or anything.

mummer, this thought crossed my mind as well. A year from now, when HBO launches their marketing campaign for season two, some hidden message will be speculated on and one of us GoT veterans will say “It says ‘always support the bottom’” at which point all of us will laugh uproariously and those who started following the series during season one will be enormously confused.

100. paulgude
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Or the writers have Tyrion suggests that they treat the peasants with respect. “You know,” he suggests. “Always support the bottom.”

101. Chris
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Didn’t you guys read The Hobbit?

Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks and the setting sun with the last light of Durin’s Day will shine upon the fact that Winter is Coming readers are borderline crazy when it comes to riddles or potential riddles.

102. Tar Kidho
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

mummer:

:-) :-) :-)

103. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

I think its a behind the scenes clue referring to the fact that Mark Addy had to wear man spanks beneath his costume! ;P

104. Darkenmal
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

It looks like we got a mystery to solve.

TO THE MYSTERY MACHINE! :P

105. Fire And Blood
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

We should create our very own WiC-specific House.

Our words: “Always Support the Bottom!”

(Hey, that sounds better in battle than screaming “Hot Pie!”)

(Okay, no it doesn’t.)

106. Darkenmal
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

I honestly think it depends on the pie they are talking about.

107. purplejilly
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

This reminds me of that movie where people have to figure out the question, with the piece of paper. The Exam, I think? But none of us get a high paying job when this one is done, though..
    the word bottom actually looks like gotten to me. the line to me reads we’ve gotten or you’ve gotten

108. purplejilly
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

I think the fact that they left Dorne completely off the map means we are giving them far more credit than they deserve to think there are hidden thinks that would be revealed with a combination of the scents on papers, ect. And the guy laughed at WIC for thinking ‘support the bottom’ was anything other than a standard line from a lawyer to prevent lawsuits coming from a dropped promotional box. The answer to the crypto riddle of the emphasized letters is obviously “HODOR!”.
    Now there’s a real mystery – who is Hodor? With his real name being Walder, I’m guessing he is Old Nan and Walder Frey’s love child from years and years ago. But what does Hodor mean? Some word he heard when he was a child? Maybe a secret word or something?

109. Franny Bee
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Could one /stand/ on the box? I’m not recommending this unless… well, is it very, VERY sturdy? Maybe gradually increase pressure on a surface that won’t wreck the top (the box would be upside-down). I keep thinking about pressure points and uniform distribution of weight – especially with those bumps on the top of it.

My apologies if I’ve read too many spy thrillers.

Also, I thought I saw the word ‘Colemon’ in the pic of the back of the map.

110. KG
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

I think you’re looking at it the wrong way around. When I mess with the pics, there are a couple of backward Ss. I believe what we’re seeing is the watermark on the paper stock.

111. marzman
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood: We should create our very own WiC-specific House.

Our words: “Always Support the Bottom!”

112. Phoenix_torn
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

marzman: I second that…. we should have our own words!!! “always support the bottom”. anybody else who wants to join in?

I’ll join House WiC
    Always Support the Bottom! Is our sigil a chair?

113. purplejilly
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

Phoenix_torn: I’ll join House WiCAlways Support the Bottom! Is our sigil a chair?

our sigil must be a gate!!

114. Phoenix_torn
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

purplejilly: our sigil must be a gate!!

Hahaha Well played!

115. KG
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 12:05 am | Permalink

Here we go:

House Wic

116. Mirax
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 12:55 am | Permalink

KG – That’s awesome! I’ll definitely join House WiC!

117. Fire And Blood
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 1:04 am | Permalink

I think I’m gonna give my No-Prize to KG.

118. Fire And Blood
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 1:07 am | Permalink

Except we can’t be House Winter Is Coming. That’s redundant, plus Rickon will come after our asses. And we don’t want that.

Maybe that should be our next big contest. We have a motto …

… But what is our House?

119. paulgude
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 1:31 am | Permalink

KG,

Brilliant!

120. stevelabny
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 2:11 am | Permalink

KG:
    Here we go:

House Wic

/thread

121. KG
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 2:42 am | Permalink

stevelabny,

Haha Thank you, everyone. Nice to see my fascination with heraldry finally paid off lol

122. KG
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 2:45 am | Permalink

House um … Lore-Warden lol Heck I don’t know, I’m just an artist.

Posted February 27, 2011 at 3:18 am | Permalink

KG,

Bloody brilliant!

I hereby swear my allegiance to the house from now unto eternity.

(as if that wasn’t a given)

124. Tar Kidho
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 4:03 am | Permalink

KG,

Haha, I’m definitely in! Always support the bottom!!! Can’t wait till I see the looks of utter confusion (besides fear) on the faces of our enemies when they hear our war cries :-)

Btw, why the eye, KG?

125. Goldzor
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 4:11 am | Permalink

Could be House Gate ? :)

126. Bene
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 4:41 am | Permalink

KG,

Splendid!

127. KG
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 4:42 am | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

An eye that’s not purple with a big black eyebrow ;D

128. Bene
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 4:50 am | Permalink

But doenst “Always support the buttom” not sound too revolutionary? Sounds more like the motto of some rebellious stable boys rather than the words of a house ;)

129. KG
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 4:57 am | Permalink

Bene,

What if they make women’s foundation wear?

130. HB
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 6:14 am | Permalink

Well obviously we’re either House HBO, but even better would be House Martin.

George can be our lord and Winter our Castellan. Fabio is either our fool or our master at arms, not sure about that one. And Hear me roar is our maester.

“Always support the Bottom”

131. Tar Kidho
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 6:21 am | Permalink

KG:
    Tar Kidho,

An eye that’s not purple with a big black eyebrow ;D
    Brilliant :-)

132. Shinyteapot
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 7:43 am | Permalink

KG,

Fantastic!

May I humbly suggest House Nitpicker?

133. Mike
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 7:50 am | Permalink

Ah, parody!

HOUSE OF DERRIERE

The Derrieres take no part in the War of the Five Kings because they are dedicated to servicing all the privies In the Seven Kingdoms — for which they receive generous donations from the other houses. Their Derriere words are Always Support the Bottom.

HYNIE DERRIER — Lord of the Derriere

— His wife, Fanny

—- His house maester, Keistermaester Maesterkeister, counselor, healer, sewage specialist

Casting the Kardashians

134. durandal
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 7:56 am | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

The house Chairgate doesn’t sound too bad.

135. Katja
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

Like KG said, House Wic, pronounced similar to Wyk in my head. :D Now, what is the name of our stronghold? Castle Inkgate? Scentgate? Something-else-gate?

136. marzman
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 9:00 am | Permalink

I love our coat of arms!! do you guys think we should have a scroll in there as well? after all, our house motto comes from a scroll ;-)

I also love house chairgate.

137. Franny Bee
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 9:06 am | Permalink

KG,

Our house name… Something to do with MANY gates, and hyper-vigilance. How about the Gate’s Watch, (we own no land) or simply House Gatewatch? Brilliant coat-of-arms too. The eyeball is a solid lmfao!

HB,
    I wanna be the slutty kitchen maid! Better to have a finger in each of the bowls, just in case there’s an abrupt change of management.

“Ooh, who’s my big, strong usurper, hmm? No, I don’t know the Lord of Winterfell personally, but I understand that as a group, they tend to have detachable heads…”

Now let me cook you some nice, warm soup ;)

138. Rinoa De la Pica
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 9:25 am | Permalink

I’m enjoying the historic foundation of our house almost as a new trailer. :D

KG, you got a non-prize indeed! Your sigil is great (and hilarious)!

139. Bene
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Too bad martin will have to rewrite ADWD completely now that the presence of one more great house is revealed ;)
    on which side will we stand btw? lannister? king in the north? wildlings? Daenery´s ?

140. durandal
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Bene,

We don’t show allegiance to any king or queen but we will ‘always support their bottom’.
    So, when Dany becomes queen of Westeros, I’ll will gladly volunteer to put our motto to practice! :-)

141. dizzy_34
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 9:47 am | Permalink

I hope this doesn’t end up with people running around town in Joker makeup shouting “why so serious?” :)
    but who doesn’t like a little viral fun?

142. digdoug
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 10:13 am | Permalink

always support the bottom is how your supposed to hold this heavy box.

143. Shinyteapot
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Franny Bee,

I like house Gatewatch :)

144. Shinyteapot
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Need an edit button! Meant to add that it fits with the coat of arms too, involvin both gates and an eye :p

145. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 11:06 am | Permalink

What are bastard children of House Wyk (or Derriere, or Gatewatch) called??? Or perhaps there are none, being that we’re all about supporting bottoms. We are the anti-Freys.

146. Shinyteapot
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Steve Hugh Westenra,

Chair, of course :p

147. Liesie
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Our bastards should be called Fake-Snows ;-)

This made me laugh big time and I’m proud to call myself a member of the noble house of Gatewatch with our noble words ‘Always suport the bottom!’

148. Liesie
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Too bad we didn’t have a Gate-gate otherwise it would have been a perfect name for our castle/stronghold *something*

149. purplejilly
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 11:22 am | Permalink

KG,

KG if you could make that eye PURPLE (but leave the eyebrow dark, of course),I’M IN! I even have four unwitting children who have no idea they are shortly to be wards or marriage pawns! hahahaha!

150. Shinyteapot
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 11:23 am | Permalink

House Gatewatch of castle Wyknett?

151. purplejilly
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 11:30 am | Permalink

There’s no way we can be house HBO, they are the elitest scum who oppressed us! House Martin won’t work, he’s too busy with his own life to properly be our liege lord. Allthough busy as he is, we could be a naughty house, and know it would take a long time until the fine Lord Martin ever made his way over to behead us., with his last words being “I Lord GRRM of Martin, do hereby tell everyone that this execution has sent ADWD back yet ANOTHER month!! Oh, I shudder to think what the corpses would end up looking like..

152. Porcupine Tree
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Shinyteapot:
    House Gatewatch of castle Wyknett?

I like this a lot. And our b’stards could be named Knyttpyck ( although I also like Chair as well!)

153. The Rabbit
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 11:43 am | Permalink

KG,

You made my day!

LOL!

“Always support the bottom!”

154. purplejilly
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Okay who in the new TVshow is the only person onthe actual Maester’s Path? Isit Mr. Bombastic, JBW on twoitter with his twit splosions of humor? Tar, maybe we need to corner him and uh ‘question’ him first.
    “Where’s the hidden part of thebox?
    What do the secret letters mean?
    Is there gold in the village? How much?
    WHere is lord Donarrion? Which way did he leave?
    What is the secert of the box?”

155. purplejilly
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

KG never mind on my eye comment – now I understand why it is not purple, and shouldnt be!!

156. Shinyteapot
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

purplejilly,

Perhaps we owe allegiance to House Martin :)

157. rorschach-
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

If the Housename is Gatewatch I’d say that the bastard name should be Chair. But if the Housename is Wyk, in my mind bastards should be Wigs.

158. Mirax
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I also vote House Gatewatch of Castle Wyknett. : )

159. marzman
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

I am getting kinda restless… we need a hint or something for the next step on the maester’s path!!

always support the bottom

160. KG
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

purplejilly,

It’s the most subte of the jokes, it’s true lol

161. Tar Kidho
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Another vote for House Gatewatch of Castle Wyknett! And the main entrance point to Castle Wyknett is undoubtedly the Gate Gate.

Always support the bottom

162. Tar Kidho
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

(hey, I added html tags to underline our Words since I thought that would be very appropriate, but although it showed in the preview, it doesn’t in the final post…)

163. Phoenix_torn
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Love House Gatewatch of Castle Wyknett!

Fantastic coat of arms KG. I bow to you.

You see, this is why I love this site.

164. Tar Kidho
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

In battle, when we proudly yell Always support the bottom!, will we at the same time ‘moon’ the enemy? ;-)

165. obsidian
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Always Support the Bottom ! Truly words to live by..

Our arms are marvelous ! House Watchgate inspires undying loyalty. As to our natural-and-very-clever offspring , Chair seems most in keeping with those other houses , but I kind of prefer Knytpick. Too many syllables ? Then how about Snark…or Howl ?

166. Franny Bee
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Gatewatch; a lesser-known, (but technologically-advanced) major House of Westeros. Bastards take the common surname of ‘Chair’. House Gatewatch is known for its deadly word-play and razor-sharp vigilance, perfected on the streets of WiC from a very young age. Major exports include hot air, impatience, minute critical analysis, and (shameless) childlike excitement.

Also the only major house to arrange marriages though eHarmony.

167. heroine addict
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

This might be a long shot but what popped into my mind right away was curiosity about the perfumes/scents. Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab are a small specialized perfumery. From their site:

“We specialize in formulating body and household blends with a dark, romantic Gothic tone. Our scents run the aesthetic gamut of magickal, pagan and mythological blends, Renaissance, Medieval and Victorian formulas, and horror / Gothic-themed scents. ”

The company has often released a series of scents based on novels from particular authors such as Neil Gaiman, or characters from their books. If BPAL has nothing to do with anything ASoIaF related I propose they do! My first picks for a scent theme would be “Dire Wolf”. Zexy.

Posted February 27, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

I’d suggest House Gatekeeper, or perhaps taking a french translation and going with House Barriere.

Posted February 27, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Hey, Barriere means gate in french, and rhymes with Derriere (“always support the bottom”)… I sense some more potential here.

Posted February 27, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Okay, I got it. House Barriere, with the words “Always Support the Derriere”.

171. Brona
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

KG,

I love it!

172. purplejilly
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

LOLOLOLOL.. Yes!!

173. purplejilly
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

Also our females tend to be incredibly spoiled with a huge sense of entitlement, but that helps our house scramble to the top, and keeps us at the forefront of the intrigue!

Posted February 27, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

You guys are awesome. House Gatewatch of Castle Wyknett. Hilarious stuff!

I feel like we’re in the final days of this being such a tight-knit group. In less than 50 days we will be inundated with newbies. I’m excited for that but will certainly miss these times.

Always Support the Bottom!

Ser Winter
    Head of House Gatewatch and Lord of Wyknett

175. purplejilly
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

And the best thing of all? The invention tonight of House Gatewatch, and all the details involved has relieved my sense of anger and sadness at being left out and not recieving a Maester’s Path box :)

176. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Gratz to Robert Stromberg! We just got another Oscar winner associated with the project!!!

177. Abyss
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Sorry but i don´t get it. What is “Castle Wyknett” to imply? I been on this site long enough to understand all the other jokes but nothing is ringing when it cames to “Castle Wyknett”…

178. Mike
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Abyss:
    Sorry but i don´t get it. What is “Castle Wyknett”to imply? I been on this site long enough tounderstand all the other jokes but nothing is ringing when it cames to “Castle Wyknett”…

I think it’s a play on “winter-is-coming.net.” You know with the “y” in place of the “i” etc.

It wasn’t explained in full. Oh, and I also assume all the “gate” stuff is meant to imply a scandal as in Watergate, Climategate, Spygate, etc.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.

179. AsDeR
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

I know its hard to do to such a precious object but… have you tried to remove the nails in that leather-like patch that hold the little papers? So u can see the inside?
    Also some of the scent symbols look like letters to me, even numbers, even phone symbols like * and #

180. Abyss
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

Mike,

Ok, now I can see the point – if it actual is the point.^^
    The gate stuff was clear to me, but thanks for this explanation as well.

181. Mike
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Lord Ned’s Head:

Yes. Congratulations to Mr. Stromberg. Alice in Wonderland – Art Direction.
    HBO has a great team.

182. Ser Andrew Chair
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

Reading all these comments about our beloved House Gatewatch of Wyknett, made me want to yell ALWAYS SUPPORT THE BOTTOM!

183. Mike
    Posted February 28, 2011 at 6:50 am | Permalink

As pledge of loyalty, I shall henceforth be known as Mike Chair.

184. Mike Chair
    Posted February 28, 2011 at 6:51 am | Permalink

ALWAYS SUPPORT THE BOTTOM!

185. Fire And Blood
    Posted February 28, 2011 at 8:02 am | Permalink

I feel as though I finally have a home.

House Gatewatch is what stands upon my banner; Castle Wyknett is where I lay my head, trade kisses with Ypsy the stable girl, and keep a cage for our deadly hunting rabbit.

I bend my knee only to the King in the North.

Fabyof Chair
    Bastard of Wyknett

186. Fire And Blood
    Posted February 28, 2011 at 8:03 am | Permalink

Always Support The Bottom!

187. MirriMaz
    Posted February 28, 2011 at 9:10 am | Permalink

:D this thread is hilarious even more so for me because Support the Bottom brings all kinds of wrong imagery to my head.

188. McSherrie
    Posted February 28, 2011 at 11:14 am | Permalink

*slow but enthusiastic applause*

Truly, I am glad that I was able to find the fair castle of Wyknett and taken comfort in its sanctuary. I will serve House Gatewatch to the end of my days.

*wanders off to care for the Godswood*

Always support the bottom!

(Slightly more seriously, you guys are all awesome!)

189. bgrahambo
    Posted February 28, 2011 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Aw, I was REALLY hoping that it would turn out to be Emilia Clarke’s phone number. :(
    Ah, well…

ALWAYS SUPPORT THE BOTTOM!

190. purplejilly
    Posted February 28, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

“Always Support The Bottom”

The small boy with curly blond hair boy sat at the feet of his wizened old grandmother, hoping to delay bedtime for a few more moments. In his hands rested a small wooden box, filled with scrolls, bottles and other assorted trinkets.
    “Please, Granny Wykk, tell me one more time about our words!”

The grandmother smiled down at the sweet young child, and knowing that the days they are willing to sit by your feet and actually listen fly by far too fast, she indulged him. Leaning forward, she began:

“Always remember, child, the treasured words of House GateWatch. No one knows exactly when the words were chosen; there are whispers of the first men and women of House GateWatch, eons ago when the Internets still reigned the world, and there were no need for Ravens, since twitters were freely heard amongst all creatures instantly around the world.
    Yes, my child, it sounds strange, electronic Ravens tweeting but those were strange days, and they are no more. What caused the words to be chosen by these extraordinary first people of House GateWatch? There are rumors aplenty, for sure. Talk of Targaryens with eyes that were not purple, hair that was not silver-gold, and eyebrows dark as a storm cloud twisting down a Dothraki Sea. Of an Iron Throne where the swords were twisted in all the wrong ways. Of Starks being too old, Of names being pronounced wrong, of Direwolves far too small and too docile. Oh child, I see your eyes widen in fear, but do not worry, the loyal peoples of House GateWatch did their best to right all these wrongs in the world. And our words began with a box much like the one you have their, in your lap!”

“From a large and hot desert on the coast of an old world called Calyfornya did the boxes arrive from, boxes sent out from a group of men called the Hubows. And only to a chosen few, did the boxes go, only to those that the Hubows deemed intelligent enough to understand the box and all its secrets. The Ancient Lord Wykk, First of His Name, called upon his scattered people to help him derive the mysteries of the box. And it was those loyal servants of Lord Wykk, after much thinking, contemplating, and testing, that did decide upon the true message of the box; “Always Support The Bottom” And how did they know it was true? Why, because “Always Support The Bottom” was a phrase that was correct in any situation, a phrase that no matter where you uttered it in the land of House GateWatch, ruled by the benevolent Lord Wykk, it made sense.

When a lady would hand her lord a newborn babe, swaddled in the softest cotton, she whispered the words “Always Support The Bottom”.

When a castellan handed a large basket of bread and cheese for the kitchen to distribute to the small folk out in the fields, he spoke the words “Always Support The Bottom!”

When young girls spoke in hushed and giggled tones about the secret books left by Doreah, and the lessons she taught young Danerys so long ago, “Always Support The Bottom” was the most popular lesson of all.

When Queen Arya of old taught her ancient armies of all women to fight, the second lesson with their Needles, after ‘stick them with the pointy end’ was “Always Support The Bottom”

When young Maesters, fresh from the Citadel, came to House GateWatch, their welcoming ceremony always included a heavy wooden box, filled with many surprises, with the admonition to “Always Support The Bottom”.

And when a loyal servant of House GateWatch would pass away, as the pallbearers carried the box gently to the graveyard, in hushed tones they reminded each other “Always Support The Bottom”.

The peoples of House GateWatch soon found that no matter what the situation, or where they were, the phrase “Always Support The Bottom” made clear and common sense. And now, my darling young grandson, before this post leans too far into the realm of Fan-Fiction, something that is abhorred by the Great God GRRM, I will stop this story, lest his wrath be brought down on House GateWatch, destroying us forever! Now off to bed with you!”

Posted February 28, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

purplejilly,

Precious, thank you so much for this :D

192. purplejilly
    Posted February 28, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Thank you, it makes me happy that our people here like it :) It just sort of rolled out of me this morning, when I found out the ‘path’ website was not accessible from my work computer (lol)

193. Aurora
    Posted March 1, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

purplejilly,

Purple-Loved it very much.
    Long time lurker and I do not post much but I’ve been following this site for a very long time and frequent it numerous times a day. This has been one of the most enjoyable threads and I’m thrilled to have witnessed the birth of our great and noble House. Always willing and ready to serve House Gatewatch.

May your bottoms always be supported!

194. Julian Budke
    Posted March 3, 2011 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Support the bottom! Don’t trust Steve! He wants us to stop believing !

195. Becks
    Posted April 24, 2011 at 3:39 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Yup just spent an hour Googling it and scratching my head until I found this post.

196. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted July 25, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood:
    I feel as though I finally have a home.

I bend my knee only to the King in the North.

Fabyof Chair
    Bastard of Wyknett

THE KING IN THE NORTH!!………………..ASTB!

1. [...] was a clue, Steve Coulson, the campaign’s creative lead and “in-house Maester,” let players know that was a red herring. The phrase became a rallying cry for many players, so Coulson worked the [...]

2. [...] Path entailed; so after checking out the scents and reading the scrolls, I went about searching the box for some hidden clues. It seemed there was more to it than meets the [...]

3. [...] And as for the Community part, people do it all the time. My boyfriend plays Minecraft on a private server with his work friends. They can chat, help each other build stuff and laugh at each other when they accidentally dig through the rocks into a lava pool. I read Winter Is Coming on a regular basis, this started as a blog about HBO’s Game of Thrones TV series but grew as fans began to contribute news, behind the scenes pictures and other such pieces of wonderfulness. Fans now refer to themselves as members of House Gatewatch (a reference to fans nitpicking over details as ‘gates’, eg Nights Watch Horsegate when the english horses used in the first season were replaced with Icelandic horses for the second. They look very different) and sharing information, photos and stories related to GoT is called ‘Supporting the Bottom’ (The story behind this can be found by clicking here) [...]