Casting Season Two: Davos
By Winter Is Coming on in Casting, Speculation.
Ser Davos Seaworth

Art by Britt Martin

Disclaimer: Season two has not been officially greenlit. We are creating these posts for discussion and speculation.

We’ve done Stannis and Melisandre, so let’s talk now about the final member of the Dragonstone Trio, Davos Seaworth. While Davos features prominently in the books, being our window into the world of Stannis, he really doesn’t actually do all that much. I have a feeling that for the series, he will become a less prominent character. That being said, I still think they could get a well-known character actor for the role. As for the look they might be going for, Tower of the Hand describes Davos’ physical appearance as slight with a common face and brown eyes and hair with a beard peppered with gray. Let’s take a look at some of the top fan suggestions.

Robert CarlyleRobert Carlyle – Carlyle seems to be the most popular suggestion for the role. It’s easy to see why as his looks almost perfectly match Davos’ description in the books. And his most prominent role was in the geek-tastic series, Stargate Universe. He also starred in a number of cult classic films such as Trainspotting and The Full Monty. He has even been cast by Nina Gold before, although it was 10 years ago. The potential kink in this near-perfect casting suggestion? Carlyle was recently cast in a pilot for ABC which will likely exclude him from being cast in Thrones.
Tommy FlanaganTommy Flanagan – Flanagan is a Scottish-born actor who has made a living playing mostly the “tough guy” role. He has appeared in films such as Braveheart, Gladiator, Sin City, and Smokin’ Aces. If they wanted to go with a more gruff, pirate-like look for Davos, Flanagan would be a good fit. Flanagan however has never been cast by Nina Gold before. And there’s one other problem. He is currently staring in FX’s hit series Sons of Anarchy. Unless the shooting schedules somehow don’t conflict, it seems likely he would be unable to join the cast of Thrones.
Tim RothTim Roth – Another popular suggestion, Roth is a talented actor who has done both film and television work. The Brit has starred in films such as Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Rob Roy. Most recently, Roth has starred in Fox’s Lie To Me. While no official decision has been made regarding that shows status for next season, the consensus is that it will likely be canceled. Surprisingly, despite Roth’s long career, he has never been cast by Nina Gold before, but I suspect that wouldn’t be a problem in this case. If Lie is canceled, it would be quite the casting coup if Thrones would be able to sweep in and scoop him up.
Peter MullanPeter Mullan – Another Scottish-born character actor, Mullan has a few credits in common with some of our other candidates, with his appearances in Trainspotting and Braveheart. More recently he has appeared in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Parts I and II. But the connection most of interest to Thrones fans however is his role in the Nina Gold-cast Red Riding trilogy. Gold has gone to the Red Riding well three times for roles in Thrones, in Sean Bean, Mark Addy and Joseph Mawle. Might Peter Mullan as Davos Seaworth be the fourth?

1. Paweł Ausir Dembowski
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Philip Glenister!

Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:02 am | Permalink

My money is on Mullan, if any of these four are chosen, I’ll be happy.

3. BlueCanary
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:02 am | Permalink

I adore Robert Carlyle and would love to see him in the part, but I’d be willing to lay money that this part doesn’t go to him or any even moderately well-known actor, and that the part itself will be significantly reduced in importance. Davos is really our “eye” on Stannis and Mel, and in the transition to screen, that role becomes a lot less important.

4. Gabriel Klein
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:03 am | Permalink

mullan FTW!!!

i think carlyle & roth are too expensive… flanagan looks just not the way i imagined davos (btw: my fav-character)….

5. pat
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink

I don’t see any of them in the role.

6. Andy
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink

if we’re bringing up Life on Mars characters why not John Simm?

7. Gaines
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:10 am | Permalink

I’m all for Peter Mullan, a very good actor (I particularly remember him from Children of Men, in a funny, but at the same time quite nasty role), he would be perfect.

And actually, I would’ve loved to see Iain Glen as Davos, but oh well. :)

8. Kek
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:15 am | Permalink

Tim Roth would be awesome.

9. Paweł Ausir Dembowski
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Off topic, while I think Christopher Eccleston would make a great Stannis, I think the best role for him would be Balon Greyjoy – this way he wouldn’t need to commit to the role for too long.

10. biliki
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Judging by the pictures alone I love Carlyle (more) and Mullan (less). I want Davos to have a face that shows how good he is, if you know what I mean. I don’t want someone that looks arrogant or snarky. And I hope they don’t make him too old, since he has brown hair in the books which I think means he can’t be older than 40-early 40s. They tend to do that in modern productions about medieval (etc) times. They don’t seem to understand that in those times people had children etc in much younger ages, so a 35 year old is very likely to have an 18 year old child.

11. Hollyoak
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:19 am | Permalink

I got it! I got it!

Drum roll…..

Bill Nighy!

Look him up if you don’t know him. He’s been in tons of stuff. He looks the part.

12. cyloncaprica
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:23 am | Permalink

I didn’t know Nina cast the Red Riding roles. With that in mind I recommend Eddie Marsan. He is a great actor and has the right profile to take on such a secondary character.

13. McSherrie
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:36 am | Permalink

I love all four of the suggestions above, but Carlyle has always been in my head when I read Davos’ chapters. More the Carlyle from Plunckett & Macleane than the Carlyle we saw in Trainspotting, but always Carlyle.

Having said that, I doubt that we would be so lucky. Ah well.

14. Saso Alauf
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Tim Roth would be awesome…but not for Davos, come on…

15. David T
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Mark Rylance maybe? Great actor that I would really like to see on GoT.

16. Mike
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:40 am | Permalink

My vote goes for Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond from Lost)

17. dardar
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:41 am | Permalink

I would definitely go for peter Mullan. Good choice.

18. Josh Parker
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:43 am | Permalink

Liam Cunningham, Liam Cunningham, Liam Cunningham.

Liam. Cunningham.

Though out of this group I pick Peter Mullan.

19. Steph
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Reduced role? I suppose it might be necessary, but that would make me so sad. Davos has always been my very favorite character in the books and I would be upset to see his role significantly diminished or altered. He’s the one who takes Melisandre below Storm’s End, where we see the birth of the shadow and finally realize exactly what killed Renly, which is very important; his honest, guileless horror of Mel is an important counterpoint to the devotion of almost everyone else.Besides, he’s our POV for the battle of the Blackwater, and I think it would be effective to switch back and forth between Tyrion’s experience and Davos’s to show the scope of that battle. Also, he ends up being extremely important in ASoS, being the one to send Edric Storm away to protect him from Melisandre’s fires, AND reading the letter from the Night’s Watch that had been discarded, which ultimately led to Stannis saving the day in the fight against the wildlings. Davos may not have a large role, but the few things that he does are instrumental to the larger plot.

Anyway. I won’t believe that anyone is perfect for the role until someone actually takes it on and wins me over. But of the above list, my only strong opinion is a NO to Tim Roth. I agree with biliki above — Davos needs an honest, trustworthy sort of face, and I don’t think Roth is suited.

20. H. Pace
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:46 am | Permalink

They need to find an actor missing the tips of his fingers. That’s the most important piece of his “look.”

21. MikeNH
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Saso Alauf: Tim Roth would be awesome…but not for Davos, come on…

I agree – and I’d put Carlyle in there too. If Davos is going to be a minor character, why would you cast either of those guys for it.

22. MikeNH
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Steph: Davos may not have a large role, but the few things that he does are instrumental to the larger plot.

I’m a big Davos fan, so I’m hoping they keep in in tact… but to your points, mostly he was there for POV. The boat, the battle, the letter… all of those could be handled by some lesser character that we never really get a chance to “know”. I imagine it will still be Davos doing those things… but that the character may never really get fleshed out much. I mean, you could argue that Davos serves more as Stannis’ conscience than anything else… so they can easily have the actor playing Stannis steal half of Davos’ lines.

23. Pepi
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Gary Oldman – Davos
    Ben Kingsley – Syrio

2 things that were bound to not happening, but anyway… As for the 4 given options; I’d say Carlyle would be my first pick and Flanagan my last.

24. Steve the Pirate
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Peter Mullan is fantastic in everything, and is my personal favorite for the role. The upside of him being less famous than the other three is that he would be easier to accept as the common man that Davos really is, as the lowborn smuggler.

25. dizzy_34
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 10:17 am | Permalink

I like all these guys so I’d be happy with any of them. Tim Roth, Tommy Flanigan or Robert Carlyle would be cool as Mance Rayder too IMO.

26. Franny Bee
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Robert Carlyle is Davos in my mind. Calm spoken. Smarter than most, but speaks less too. Sees the big picture right away. He is pragmatism and determination. He is innocence and wisdom. He’s ‘dad’ Davos. He’s ‘a shrewder’ Ned. In fact, if Ned were smaller/lowbornt, he’d be just like Davos. Instead he was high-born and disciplined in fighting, so he never had to scrap it out with the little guys. Unfortunate, because a little street-smarts is all Ned lacks. /Lacked./ Well, that , and a head.

Tim Roth = babe. He is sexy Davos. So maybe not my vision as I read the books, but what a lovely alternate vision! Will take it. He’s a great actor. He could pull off any of the Greyjoy bros as well.

Gary Oldman is another idea. I know it will never happen, but come on?! How totally awesome? Soft-spoken, but you can’t take your eyes off of him. He disappears into the character, just like Davos disappears into his own thoughts.

Imagine the scene after the Blackwater, where Davos is stranded and dying and has lost his sons and has seen the fiery green face of hell and is giving up… and then the resolve when he pinpoints the source of all the suffering. And realizes he must do something about HER. And so he gets on that boat. And he LIVES to get that bitch. *cough* Gary Oldman, baby.

27. kenny
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Garret Dillahunt. (Who, incidentally, i am going to recommend for every character that comes up from here on in. Although maybe later in the series. He’d be a great High Sparrow).

28. Steve the Pirate
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Dillahunt is busy with “Raising Hope,” which is a great comedy series. Also, he’s American. I seriously doubt we’ll ever see him involved in this show.

29. Ikertzeke
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 10:35 am | Permalink

If Davos is going to be a minor character why bother? If not, Robert Carlyle is my choice.

30. DigDoug
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 10:38 am | Permalink

For what it is worth, IMDB is showing GOT as the 4th trailer on their mainpage!!!

31. OhDanyBoy
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Franny Bee,

Gary Oldman? Whoa – just got a serious Roose Bolton vibe!

32. Mike Kerns
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink

I’d always imagined Vincent Regan (the way he look in “TROY”)

33. McKee
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Liam Cunningham seems like a good choice to me.

34. Eric DeBruin
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Gary Oldman would be amazing, but I think he’s a bit old.

Posted March 11, 2011 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Ikertzeke: If Davos is going to be a minor character why bother?

It really depends on how minor they decide to make him. I think his role will be lessened, but not cut entirely. They still need him to be there, to counteract Melisandre’s influence over Stannis. To be the angel on Stannis’ shoulder to Mel’s devil.

Another factor to consider is what Davos’ role in future books will be. Although he hasn’t actually done much so far, it seems he is being set up to play a fairly major role later on, with his crusade to take down Melisandre. This is information that David & Dan should be privy to and they will have to take into account when casting Davos for season two.

36. Nikoleo
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 10:54 am | Permalink

robert carlyle but I think is a longshot

37. Steel_Wind
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 10:54 am | Permalink

BlueCanary:

This.

Regrettably, as much as it pains me to agree, the above statement is correct. So much of Davos’ POV is internal dialog or simply viewing what Stannis and Mel are doing. Davos himself doesn’t do all that much.

Beyond his internal musings and his being a witness to the events and actions of others are discounted, we are left with little that Davos himself actually does. It’s not irrelevant, but it is certainly greatly diminished. This is especially so if the Battle of the Blackwater is greatly reduced in its epic sweep.

“My luck.”

38. MetalgoddessAMB
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Tony Curran.

He had a small part in Pillars of the Earth, but to me he looks perfect.

39. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 11:05 am | Permalink

I think Davos is one of those characters where his appearance doesn’t really matter all that much (nor his age). I mean, he has to look old enough to have had an eighteen year old son, but that’s the only limiting factor (well, that and he’s not ancient, haha).
    I don’t know why people are so keen on him having a “kind” face. It seems to me that Davos could have any sort of a face. Yes, he is a good person, but I think that should shine through enough in his actions and via the acting. While it wouldn’t bother me all that much, gentle-faced ex-smuggler (a little rough around the edges) seems to verge on character stereotype and caricature.
    I do think that the actor who is cast will need a lot of natural presence to woo the audience with this role. I like Davos, but he is a much quieter character in a lot of ways, and someone with some natural charm could really draw the audience’s attention. Someone mentioned earlier that there are similarities between Davos and Ned, and I would have to agree. I think that, initially, whoever lands the role will have to bring something great and fresh to the table lest they underwhelm and leave the impression that Davos is a cheap Ned-replacement (which he is not). I don’t mean to suggest that they change Davos’s character, but rather, that someone who is very expressive or notable might do well in the part. Equally, Davos could very well be attractive in the show, as it’s irrelevant really to the character in the books.
    Out of these picks I do like Carlyle and Roth, but mainly because I like both of them anyway and because I haven’t seen either of the others in anything. I think it would be great to see Carlyle or Roth in any role (and here starts my campaign for Tim Roth as Ygritte).

40. MetalgoddessAMB
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I tried using the Link button for Tony Curran’s IMCb page but I don’t think it worked.

41. Nights King
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Tim Roth = Mance Rayder, might even make a decent Lightening Lord. Could even see him as Tom O’Sevens

42. McSherrie
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Steve Hugh Westenra:
    (and here starts my campaign for Tim Roth as Ygritte).

“You know nothing, honey bunny.”

43. Grujah
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Someone once mentioned Colm Meaney (Miles O’Brien from Deep Space 9) and that seemed like an interesting choice..

44. Dennis Brennan
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 11:30 am | Permalink

I like all three choices, and I also like Henry Ian Cusick (who was suggested above).

Some other possibilities:
    - Brendan Gleeson
    - Ian McShane
    - Matthew Macfadyen
    - Erick Avari (because Davos may not have been born in the Seven Kingdoms)

45. Suy
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Henry Ian Cusick!

46. gofalcons
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

If it can’t be Tim Roth then my vote goes to Lennie James. Who’s to say that Davos isn’t the descendent of some long-ago shipwrecked Summer Islander?

47. Franny Bee
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 11:35 am | Permalink

OhDanyBoy:
    Franny Bee,

Gary Oldman?Whoa – just got a serious Roose Bolton vibe!

Whoa, that’s one fine vibe. Yes, yes, yes…

48. Dennis Brennan
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 11:42 am | Permalink

As long as we’re making unconventional suggestions and ignoring the physical description in the novel:

- Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Mr. Eko)
    - John Lone (who played grown-up Pu Yi in “The Last Emperor”)
    - Derrick O’Connor (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0640299/)
    - Richard E. Grant (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001290/)

The late Pete Postlethwaite would have been a good one.

49. LanLanLurker
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 11:48 am | Permalink

As for Davos, I think that from the description of the character, above Rufus Sewell just played nearly the same lowborn character who is caught between loyalties, in ‘The Pillars of the Earth’ down to the beard. I think he would be a fine fit for Davos.

Although I think that Tim Roth would bring more scrappiness to the role to make an impact with audiences, given his few lines. Most importantly, the opening prologue for a Clash of Kings is Davos first scene. So he should be an integral character during season 2, and get more important as the story/seasons progress since he still has an active POV.

I don’t think salaries are the problem, as the 1st season stars Bean, and Addy will not be a part of the second season, so that salarie can be used to land bigger talent for season 2, where Stannis will be the ‘star’ role although he’ll be on screen for less time than Bean in season 1.

I think that’s more than my two cents. Sorry. Long time lurker. First time poster.

50. kris90210
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 11:58 am | Permalink

I’d rather see Carlyle playing a psycho myself. I see that as being his forte. He’d be great as Bolton.

Peter Mullan would be a better fit for Davos in my opinion.

51. SimBen
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 11:59 am | Permalink

These are all boss suggestions, but allow me to add the ubiquitously-popular Dominic Wood.

52. SimBen
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

SimBen,

Argh I mean West. Dominic West.

53. Mormegil
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Mike: My vote goes for Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond from Lost)He’s always fit my mental image for Davos perfectly, and he has the utmost of geek cred.

I’ve suggested him before, another Lostie who would be Interesting is Naveen Andrews.

As to the level of actor they go for I still think they will want one big name actor (Sean Bean level) for either Stannis, Mel or Davos. They could have name actors for two of the roles but I seriously doubt all three would be. Who they go for could well depend on which role they cast first.

54. Kanga
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Hm…bearing in mind that I haven’t seen any performances by any of them, none of these men strike me as Davos material.
    My bet is that we’ll get another lesser known actor for this part, especially if the role is being cut down in promincence as WiC suggests.

55. Blackfish Blues
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Whew, not the Blackfish, thank the Seven, I haven’t finished my Blackfish graphic project yet. Sorry, don’t mind me.

My money is on Carlyle, he’d be a hoot and would give Davos an unforgettable spin, but I haven’t read the thread yet. Too busy fixing a mail shirt and drawing a Mormont bear on a surcoat.

I love Mullan, but I’m keeping him for the Blackfish.

Sorry, next time I’ll be more coherent, I have a convention tomorrow…

56. MWads
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

MetalgoddessAMB,

I couldn’t recall ever seeing him anywhere before, but after checking Tony Curran on IMDb, I’m sold. He’s almost exactly like I picture him in the books.

57. Grujah
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Angus McFadyen anyone?

58. MWads
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

“Him” being Davos.

59. Steve the Pirate
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Kanga:

Stannis is the real star role of the second season, of the new characters I mean. I actually could see Tim Roth as Stannis. Not the Stannis of the book, no, but his age works with Addy’s, and Roth can be a wonderful hardass and stone-face.

60. Phoenix_Torn
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker: Liam Cunningham, Liam Cunningham, Liam Cunningham.Liam. Cunningham. Though out of this group I pick Peter Mullan.

Thumbs up. I like this a lot.

61. Franny Bee
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

What are the ‘big’ deaths in S2? (Just Renly?) Because whomever dies will get more airtime than in the book that season. And their killers of course. Murder/death/kill makes the world go round.

You gotta get the viewers attached so that it HURTS more when you kill the character off. Even better if you kill em off in a cold and shocking way. In slow-mo. With scary music. And blood spraying everywhere, soaking through the tent walls. Just sayin. XD

PS: The casting of Stannis is going to be vital. Curious to see how they go with it.

62. Poggy
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

I’d love to see Mullan in GoT (and I think that, among the ones listed, he could be the one more likely to accept a relatively minor role), but since I’ve seen Red Riding, I keep picturing him as Qyburn.

63. Half Myrish
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

I vote Mullan or Carlyle.

I love Tim Roth as an actor, but I can’t see him as honest, humble Davos. Roth gives off a sly, bad guy vibe with those hooded eyes of his. I suppose that’s why he’s often cast as a villain. I’m not sure I would buy him as “the angel” on Stannis’ shoulder, opposite Melisandre.

64. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Blackfish Blues,

I think it was you who also suggested Tim Roth for the Blackfish at one point? I do actually like that a lot for him, despite how young the actor is. The Blackfish is one of those characters who could veer older or younger, depending.

65. MetalgoddessAMB
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

MWads:
    MetalgoddessAMB,

I couldn’t recall ever seeing him anywhere before, but after checking Tony Curran on IMDb, I’m sold.He’s almost exactly like I picture him in the books.

He was just recently in the Pillars of the Earth miniseries, that’s where I noticed him. He’s had some decent parts in recognizable movies, he’s done A LOT of television, and I think he looks perfect!

I think he would be in the proper “price” range also, based on his previous work.

Get on board people :)

66. MetalgoddessAMB
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Oh, and he Scottish also.

67. MetalgoddessAMB
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

I also saw him (Tony Curran) in Ondine the other night, speaking of which, I can’t help but hope we can grab Collin Farrel for a part in GOT too.

68. OhDanyBoy
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Franny Bee:

Big deaths:

-Renly
    -Rodrik
    -LC Mormont
    -Qhorin Halfhand (might not count as a big death)
    -Maester Luwin
    -Yoren
    -Lommy Greenhands
    -Ser Mandon Moore

69. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Half Myrish,

This is what I’m saying though. I don’t think Davos has to “look” like a good guy. In many ways, I think it would work better if he did look more stereotypically villainous, as it will surprise the audience right away, and provide an interesting counter to the beautiful (but decidedly awful) Melisandre.
    Then there’s the fact that Davos is pretty sneaky (or, at least, he used to be) so someone who can pull off that vibe may work well in the part.

70. Poggy
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Steve Hugh Westenra,

but the Blackfish is Catelyn’s uncle -I don’t think they would get someone who looks pretty much the same age as Michelle Fairley?

71. Steve H
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Yeah, Roth as Mance Rayder TOTALLY works.
    Nights King,

72. Nick Larter
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Liam Cunningham – yep, gets my vote!

73. pat
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Grujah,

Angus McFadyen is a really good idea.

Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Liam Cunningham looks much more like a Stannis than a Davos to me.

75. Maxwell James
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Half Myrish,

A lot of folks are saying this, so I think it’s worth pointing out that while Davos may be honest and humble, he is also an ex-con (so to speak). One who was involved in many pretty dark jobs, given some of his recollections. Roth could bring out Davos’ edgy side quite well, which could be interesting. He’s quite good at playing conflicted, double-sided folks – i.e. his performance in Reservoir Dogs.

That said, Peter Mullan would probably be my pick of the four.

76. Jodan
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Peter Mullan is a great shout, but he’s my second choice behind another brilliant Scottish chrarcter actor.

Clive Russell

pictures here

Davos has had a hard life at sea, haggard, tired looking and as you can see Russell pulls it off. His acting is first rate as well, he can do large threatening characters but also very quiet, tender characters much better IMO. So pulling off Davos shouldn’t be a problem.

77. izakmo
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Permalink
  78. izakmo
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

Rodrik and Luwin don’t die until book 3

79. izakmo
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

oops, nevermind, i got my books mixed up…

80. Kanga
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Steve the Pirate: How can you judge if they’re Davos material without being familiar with a single one of the actors? Check out their work before you make that call.

I made no judgements on their respective capabilities as actors. All I said was that based on physical appearances alone, none of them jumped out at me as Davos. Chill out, man.

81. Khal Nic
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Tim Roth looks the part, but what if Davos becomes a more prominent character later on??? I think there is an incentive to follow the books closely as you never know what might happen in the series… If the program is a success and goes the distance, you might end up with all kinds of problems. You couldn’t do Feast for Crows as a season on it’s own. There are a lot of potential problems that are so far unforeseen as well. Still, at least Mr Martin is on board! I’m sure he’ll sort it all out ;)

82. rweched
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

new picure of arya on hbo site!

83. izakmo
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

rweched,

where? i don’t see it.

link please.

84. rweched
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Permalink
  85. Josh Parker
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Now, on another note, will anybody be seeding this show for torrenting? Because due to unfortunate life circumstances I no longer have HBO and torrents will be the only way I can watch it until the DVDs come out.

86. OhDanyBoy
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

izakmo,

Go to HBO.com, then click on the GoT icon in the bottom reel.

87. Danielsan
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

I always imagined Gary Oldman as Davos and, while I know it wouldn’t happen, always pictured Crispin Glover as Roose Bolton. All pale and creepy.

88. MetalgoddessAMB
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

rweched:
    izakmo,

here you go

That’s my girl! God, I love her.

89. izakmo
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

rweched,

Thanks!

90. MetalgoddessAMB
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

quoted wrong, that was me who said:

That’s my girl! God, I love her.

I really do, the character, and that wonderful little actress. I can’t wait to really see her in action.

91. KG
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

He’s probably too old and certainly too expensive, but when I read a Davos chapter I picture F. Murray Abraham, particularly as he appeared in By the Sword.

Photo Link

92. Anvil
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Tony Curran or Liam Cunningham (he would made a fine Stannis too) as Davos. I really like Carlyle, but he may be to expensive.

93. Anvil
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Anvil:
    …Liam Cunningham (he would made a fine Stannis too) as Davos.

Sorry, make not made. Just spend the extra money on the battle, not for the actor.

Notice for myself: Don’t post drunk.

94. Tar Kidho
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Davos is not a role I’m really worried about, I think many people can portrey him correctly. As long as the actor has a good-natured, honest look about him, there’s not much that can go wrong. Out of the four initial suggestions, Peter Mullan looks most like my mental image of Davos, save for the light hair. Tim Roth looks absolutely wrong, his negative face would be more fitting for Stannis.

95. clemintine
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Meh, I don’t really care much for Davos. He’s my least favourite of the POVs and I hope he’s dead. Get someone competent for the role, not an expensive name, but a decent actor, that’s all.

Just don’t cast Robert Carlyle, he’s too awsome for the role! I’d prefer him for the Blackfish. Anyways, where’s the love for Hamilton McBeth? That’s who he’ll always be to me :)

96. Brude
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

I can’t see Tim Roth ever taking that much of a supporting role on TV. Carlyle is only slightly less likely to do so. I’d love to see either of them in the role, though. The other two would be good choices.

97. Acksoft
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond from LOST)

98. clemintine
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Actually, after grazing over this thread, I’ll cast my vote for Tim Roth. I think giving a honest man a “dishonest, villian” face would be a wonderful subversion and make the tv Davos more interesting than book Davos.

99. Azi
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Steph: Steph
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:45 am | Permalink

I can see how that makes sense, but on the flip side consider how looking untrustworthy (or just ambiguous in the trust sector) might work for the character: Davos was a smuggler before working for Stannis and though through his pov we see his honesty and trustworthiness many of the characters around him dislike or mistrust him (granted a large portion of that is from the fact he doesn’t suck up to Mel). His lack of an obviously honest countenance might actually make him more likable: the viewer feels a closer affinity to him because they feel like they can access him in a way the characters can’t — they see the honesty and the goodness and the sense of that being an almost private revelation might make him a more cherished character than, let’s say Ned, who everybody pretty much knows is about as morally upright as it gets. Ned’s goodness lacks the intimacy that Davos’ could — which would be a lot like the character construct of Tyrion, Jaime, or you could argue, the Hound. It seems like treating a character’s good qualities as something like a secret or an aspect of them that is difficult to access makes the viewer/reader cherish them more because the revelation feels like more of a reward.

Of course, that’s only one way to look at character development, I’m sure there are plenty of people who prefer very honest, open characters (and those are certainly nice to counterbalance the others) but I think in this case the simple act of making Davos less obviously good in countenance might actually make is character even more interesting and sympathetic. It might be a nice counterbalance to Mel’s outward-inward conflict too.

100. sjwenings
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker: Now, on another note, will anybody be seeding this show for torrenting?

Not me, but OBVIOUSLY a lot of people will.

101. Adam Whitehead
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Philip Glenister, Philip Glenister and Philip Glenister.

Henry Ian Cusick is also a good idea, although I like the idea of him as maybe another Northman (Rickard Karstark maybe?) or wildling so he can use his native accent.

102. clemintine
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

LanLanLurker: My only other gripe is that Camelot got both Eva Green and James Purefoy so they’re likely out of the running for our show. Green would have made for a decent (and affordable) Melisandre.

Yeah, I saw the pilot. Really, really awful stuff with paint-by-the-numbers dialogue and… a missing heir! Only Eva Green, James Purefoy, and Joseph Fiennes managed to make the hackneyed lines palatable. If Eva Green can come off looking good with the crap they fed her there, imgaine what she could do with Melisandre! (and I really think if they’re striving for originality, they should kill off that whelp playing King Arthur half way through the season, and make Morgan head of of the round table. It’d be surprising and would make the show more tolerable with him gone.) And no I’m not just bashing it because it’s GoT’s competition, it was just that bad,

103. Macejko
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Permalink
  104. the goat
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

Jeor Mormont dies in A Storm of Swords.

Don’t think we’ll get Roth or Carlyle, though either would be great. Gary Oldman would be amazing, but he’s already my Roose Bolton pipedream. I like Flanagan, too, but Mullan is my fave, just based on seeing him in Red Riding. Off topic, but I had no idea Joseph Mawle was in that too. I realized who he was pretty quick, but I never woulda made that connection on my own. He looks so different, and damn was he uber-creepy in that role!

And while we’re casting everyone from Red Riding:
    David Morrissey: Rickard Karstark (small but juicy role) or Lem Lemoncloak
    Warren Clarke: Randyl Tarly or Mace Tyrell
    Jim Carter: Amory Lorch
    Paddy Considine: Qhorin Halfhand
    Sean Harris: Black Walder
    Andrew Garfield: Harwin (just for fun)

105. durandal
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming:
    Liam Cunningham looks much more like a Stannis than a Davos to me.

He would have been a great Jorah Mormont lookwise.
    Is there a Craster poll in the near future? If not, Warren Clarke gets my vote.

106. Hubert Kornalski
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

I so hope for Robert Carlyle :)

107. De Stijl
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

108. sareeta
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

I was about to vote for Robert Carlyle even though I hated his character in SGU… He has the right look for how I picture Davos, which is to say absolutely nothing like the illustration in the post. Then I saw the Henry Ian Cusick suggestion. YES! Except I think he was cast in a network pilot. Anyway, I think he would be great for Davos.

BTW, I really love Davos. He’s one of the few “good guys” and I disagree that he does nothing. His actions cause big things to happen, even if he didn’t have a direct hand in some of those things. I really hope his role is NOT diminished.

109. Eric
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

De Stijl,

That is just so very wrong.

110. Mormegil
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

De Stijl: The perfect Davos would be James Callis, from Galactica. That guy deserves a pretty good role for GoT

As I mentioned on the Melisandra thread he along with Jamie Bamber and Tricia Helfer have been cast in the pilot for a new Ron Moore show.

111. Jordan Healey
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

any of those four would be fine with me

112. Blackfish Blues
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Whew. A pause at last in my costume-making.

First off, a paranoid comment. Winter said: “While Davos features prominently in the books, being our window into the world of Stannis, he really doesn’t actually do all that much. I have a feeling that for the series, he will become a less prominent character.” This is totally unfounded, but I got a vibe of “GRRM has already killed Davos off, folks, so he’ll matter nothing in the series.” Tell us you didn’t mean this, Winter, because I would hate it, especially from a narrative structure point of view.

Steve Hugh Westenra:
    Blackfish Blues,

No, I don’t remember who suggested him but it seemed a good idea to me. He’s not among my faves, but who can say no to Tim Roth?

Poggy:
    Steve Hugh Westenra,

Fairley’s age is a limiting factor when considering the Blackfish, indeed. It is true that sometimes there’s a very slight difference in age if a parent has very young siblings, but we know that Brynden is only 5 years younger than Hoster.

However I think a prospective Blackfish could be about Fairley’s age or even younger, but be made to look older with make-up and acting. Do we know Fairley’s exact date of birth?

clemintine:

Like Tim Roth, I can’t see Carlyle as the Blackfish right now, but he’s such a wonderful actor that I certainly wouldn’t say no to him either!

113. David
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

as long as they get Mad Mikkelsen for Crowseye, I’m good

114. Chad Murphy
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Maybe a little out there but I think Clive Owen would be great. His role in Children of Men makes me think of Davos a little later in the books.

115. the goat
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

David:
    as long as they get Mad Mikkelsen for Crowseye, I’m good

This.

116. KG
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

David,

Ohhhh yeahhh – I remember that guy. Yeah, I could go with that.

117. Tyler L. Metcalfe
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 1:52 am | Permalink

Peter Mullan please.

118. Franny Bee
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 3:11 am | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

Hope I don’t get lynched for this, but perspective is everything. I would still only consider Renly a ‘major’ death in S2. All others are collateral damage. Yeah, I’m brutal, but I guess I am talking about important deaths. Game-changer deaths, like Ned :( .

( I think the Old Bear’s finale is in season/book 3, but I would consider that a major death as well.)

119. Adam Roberts
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 4:29 am | Permalink

Grujah,

seconded

120. Pepi
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 6:09 am | Permalink

Some of you mentioned, that Gary Oldman would be more suitable for Bolton, than for Davos. I have to disagree. And besides, I think that there’s a better candidate for ol’ Roose; Michael Wincott.
    Ow, and another idea for Davos Seaworth… A bit more realistic, this time: Alan Doyle(although, he’s not english, if that’s a requirement…)

121. Becky Wilson
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 9:03 am | Permalink

I think Davos needs to stick around, ESPECIALLY if this goes to a third+ season.
    There’s off hand comments by Cersei, about how Manderley took off his head in exchange for his sons being freed. However, with all things GRRM, the PoV is important. My theory is that he wasn’t killed, but is working with the Northmen as well, for some big purpose. Sure, a lot of Davos is being a conscience and foil for Melisandre, he does a LOT of important things we hear about via other PoV. I could easily see him becoming a more important character, if they spin the story and some of the structure a little bit. I don’t think it would detract at all from it, and might be better TV wise. But, he could just be a footnote too. I hope it’s the former. He is definitely one of my top 5 characters.

122. Drogo's Horse
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I know he’s not a Brit, but I always saw Bruce Campbell in this role.

123. Jimmy
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

I think Carlyle would be a great Davos. Who I pictured as Davos while reading is Jason Carter (from Babylon 5), but right now my top choice for Davos is Henry Ian Cusick.

Someone mentioned Terry O’Quinn for Davos, and while I love O’Quinn, I can’t picture Davos being bald. However, it now occurs to me that O’Quinn would make a fantastic Stannis. And O’Quinn and Cusick showed a lot of chemistry together on Lost, and I know that would transfer to Game of Thrones as well. So, now I really want this to happen (even though I’m pretty sure it won’t).

I also completely disagree with the people who say that Davos won’t be in the series very much. I think that people who are saying this are underestimating the importance of point of view in the tv series. I think it makes for better storytelling to let Melisandre and Stannis be mysterious characters. And if they’re going to be mysterious, than we can’t see events through their eyes. Just as Davos is our lense to veiw Stannis in the books, I believe he will be our window into Stannis in the show. And, as such, I think he could actually be in the second season more than he was in the second book (he is actually in the third book a lot).

That, plus this idea that Davos is Stannis’s conscious and Mel is Stannis’s bad influence features strong into the teme of power corrupting in the books, and I think they would be remiss to not include it in the series.

124. lotuz
    Posted March 13, 2011 at 3:07 am | Permalink

Damian Lewis …for Davos

Tim Roth ..for Mance Ryder

125. David T
    Posted March 13, 2011 at 6:50 am | Permalink

David T:
    Mark Rylance maybe? Great actor that I would really like to see on GoT.

add John Lynch

Amongst those mentioned in the post Peter Mullan and Robert Carlyle are my favorites.

126. ieiazel
    Posted March 14, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Gary Oldman for Davos and Robert Carlyle for Randyll Tarly are my dream.

I don’t find any similarity between Oldman and Roose Bolton: if you watch The Dark Knight you can see how far he is from what Bolton should be and how he embodies the Davos’ righteousness perfectly.

127. Chris
    Posted March 14, 2011 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Definitely Carlyle, although he’s NOT what I imagined Davos looking like.
    I think of him being small and scrappy while Carlyle comes across a little more frail.
    Still, I can see him doing so much of the desperation, the fear, the conflict, the guilt. (28 Weeks Later!) Davos needs to look like he’s being ground up between a rock and the hardest place. Just looking at Carlyle, I see that.

128. Ryan Dunn
    Posted March 14, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

My ideal pick for Davos would have to be John Lynch.

He is a great actor who can play stoic and engaging very well. See Lord Craven in Secret Garden, and Nemo from Bleak House.

He was also great in Sliding Doors, as the underachieving boyfriend. He has a ton of range, and can emote a lot with his eyes, which is how I see Davos in many ways.

Anyways, here’s to hoping my wish makes it through to those who make the decisions on such matters.

…ryan

129. Robert
    Posted March 14, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

I kinda like a bearded Bill Nighy for the role. Although all the others mentioned are fantastic too.

130. Sherry
    Posted March 18, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

Noah Wiley. He’s done action, medieval, and he is the right age.

131. Jordan Healey
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 3:31 am | Permalink

Actually after reading through the thread, Vincent Regan would be the best choice IMO. Means they can save the big season 2 bucks for Stannis, Melisandre, and some other roles.

132. Peltast
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 4:45 am | Permalink

I actually always imagined Tom o’ Sevenstrings as Tim Roth, though I guess that’s a long shot, considering how minor the role is.

133. paulgude
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

I just saw Tommy Flanagan do a re-occuring guest spot on Detroit 1-8-7, and would love to see him work on Game of Thrones .

I realize that a series guest spot way different than a commitment to a full HBO series, but from what I understand Sons of Anarchy season four has already been filmed, so he might be freed up for a bit.

If not for Davos, at least something down the line?

134. the little finger
    Posted April 6, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

has anyone thought about Jürgen Prochnow as Davos? i can just imagine him standing on deck, in darkest night, yelling back at the Redwyne fleet: “Not yet, Kameraden! Not yet!”

135. max from Russia
    Posted June 3, 2011 at 9:32 am | Permalink

It must be Tim Roth !

136. ivan
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Tim Roth is the most charismatic actor from that list ! It must ROTH !

137. rob
    Posted June 29, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Ray Winstone… I know he’s way above the role, but for dream choices he fits perfectly as the onion knight. Seemingly lived more lives than most, huskier than the average Westerosi, and can play both “quiet” characters and “honorable” characters as his Darius Jedburgh interpretation proved.

Slap a beard on him and let him play a weather-worn man who has decided to do what’s right despite the consequences.

138. willis83