Episode two titled; HBO On Demand to get Thrones content
By Winter Is Coming on in News, Speculation.

We had thought that every Sunday would give us a new episode title, but episode two’s title came a little early, thanks to Spoiler TV. The second episode of Game of Thrones is entitled “The Kingsroad”, according to them, and they also have synopses of the first two episodes.

In related news, HBO will add a number of Thrones featurettes to HBO On Demand on March 21st. These include a 3-minute video called “About Game of Thrones”, another 3-minute video called “Invitation to the Set”, a trailer (which may or may not be new), and two 1-minute profile videos, one on House Stark and one on Houses Lannister and Baratheon. I have no idea whether any of this will air on HBO or be added to HBO.com, but hopefully it will at some point.

UPDATE: It looks like one of the On Demand videos, “About Game of Thrones” has already been added to iTunes. Thanks to @JessicaChirico for these couple screen caps of new footage contained in this vid. If anyone is able to get the full video on YouTube, I’ll be sure to embed it here. TV.com has the streaming video and it’s all old stuff with the exception of the below screen caps.

UPDATE by HmR: We speculate that they are chopping up and redressing the long Inside Game of Thrones video from December. “About GoT” corresponds to the first third of it, followed by house Stark, and houses Lannister and Baratheon content. The last part of the original video is the presentation of the sets. I think this is a good move, promotionally speaking, as several short clips are better than a long one with several themes.

1. GaR
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

“The Kingsroad”

I says what it is and it is what it says.

“unimaginitive” accusation in 3… 2…

2. Mormegil
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

The Kings Road is a good title.

Rubies in the Ford would be better though ;)

3. McKee
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

4. Rinoa De la Pica
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Ehm, what is exactly HBO on demand? Is it something to do with online content?(here hoping….)

5. The Darkstar
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Hbo is doing the best they can to get the viewer familiar with the people and The world so that “it’s not all too much” the first few episodes to new viewers.

6. Nicole
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

I think The Kingsroad is a good title. It’s strange to see the episode descriptions. They seem so TVish ;-) i guess that makes sense.

7. digtastik
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

OnDemand is a content package that some cable providers typically provide for free to subscribers of their premium channels(HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, etc). This package usually contains things like special features, past season episodes, current episodes(usually the day after premier) and so on. Not sure if they make the content available elsewhere.

8. GaR
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Rinoa De la Pica,

I’m given to understand that On Demand is online streaming content for HBO subscribers, and not an alternative for non-subscribers.

Which gives me the sad, a little.

9. The Rabbit
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

I tweeted some ours ago but just to repeat it in here for the folks from the Balkans region and did not hear the great news: HBO Adria confirmed the date of the premiere: it is 18. 04. 2011.!

The time of airing is not announced yet.

10. Caedes
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit:

The time of airing is not announced yet.

And another country that will air it on the same week as the US.
    I can not understand Canal + Spain way of thinking here. They’re missing a HUGE shot with this series. May 9th?? Seriously? And that’s because they want their own series, “Crematorio”, (which is really really good, btw) to be finished and thus be able to use the monday time frame. But I just don’t get it.

11. Mr. Donnerfaust
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Caedes,

9th May, three weeks later… come on… here in Germany we can be happy, if we will see it within the next 3 years.

12. The Rabbit
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Mr. Donnerfaust,

What is indeed happing in Germany with the airing of the new shows?
    I have noticed that Germany have not been mentioned at all in all those airing speculations and it looked a bit weird to me.

13. Liesie
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

And please don’t forget the Netherlands :’(

14. Avalanche3319
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

I subscribed to HBO a few days ago, but it seems my provider doesnt do On Demand. I really hope they put these on their website.

15. Julian Walker
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

It would be cool if HBO provided On Demand through their website…but I don’t think there would be much money to be made, unless it involved signing up for some membership to watch HBO series online.

If you’re provider doesn’t offer On Demand, you may want to switch to Comcast or AT&T.

16. Snakebitey
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

There is a good chance they would make these available online as well as it helps drive buzz for the show. Episodes of course would not be available on their website.

17. Caedes
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

Mr. Donnerfaust:
    Caedes,

True, May 9th may be not so much later, but Canal + has or is already airing shows only two or three days after US airing, (Fringe, Lost). It’s just for scheduling reasons, I’m sure, and that bothers me. I’m a paying customer of Canal + since more than 10 years ago, but for htis it is like they’re saying, “go, watch the show ‘any other way’, we can wait”.

18. Brude
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

McKee: I check the “On-Demand” listings practically every day, always in vain. Nice to know there will be something to pull up soon.

I just check every Monday morning. They don’t change-over most of the content until then. They will add series episodes during the week before that, but most things like this would be added on a Monday (and lo and behold, the 21st is a Monday).

19. Starkgirl
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Sweet! I just signed up for HBO today. Looking forward to this series so much. :)

20. sareeta
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Great title.

As for On Demand, I’m glad they’re doing House Stark and House Lannister. It should help put names to faces. I’m surprised they don’t have videos available yet in a separate Game of Thrones folder. I thought for Boardwalk Empire and Treme they had this kind of stuff posted several months before their premiers, not to mention all the True Blood On Demand extras. Then again there’s no Mildred Pierce posted either, and that’s premiering earlier than GoT.

Posted March 11, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

New photo of Arya, at HBO.com… she seems to be wearing a Stark guard helmet.

22. Paweł Ausir Dembowski
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

HBO Poland will show the first episode only 1 day after the US premiere (April 18th).

Posted March 11, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Oh, and I think the title is perfect.

24. Jéssica De Freitas Maciel
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Yes!!! So cool! I think it’s from the scene that we saw on the trailer, where she seems to be disguised as a stark guard

Posted March 11, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Jéssica De Freitas Maciel,

I don’t remember seeing that in any of the trailers. Which one?

26. Josh
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Dang don’t have HBO on demand. I’m sure some nice fan will be able to put this stuff on the internet and I wouldn’t be surprised if HBO streamed some of it.

27. Josh
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Also anyone surprised they’ll be on the Kings Road come episode 2. I hope the episode doesn’t open on the Kings Road. The Stark goodbyes are great and sad.

28. Nick
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Josh,

Not really. Ned is on route to Kings Landing and Jon/Tyrion to The Wall only 3 chapters after where episode 1 ends. I assume the first 15 mins will be taken up with the Lannisters at breakfast discussing Bran, Jon giving Needle to Arya, then all the goodbyes.

29. Jéssica De Freitas Maciel
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Lex,

the last one…some guys even joked about it being a where’s ar ya? game because she was standing but we were facing her back…and some guys noticed that she was too short to be a normal stark guard…well i will look for the photo and post the link here

30. Jéssica De Freitas Maciel
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

here it ir on westeros.org:

31. Mike Chair
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

sareeta: I thought for Boardwalk Empire and Treme they had this kind of stuff posted several months before their premiers, not to mention all the True Blood On Demand extras. Then again there’s no Mildred Pierce posted either, and that’s premiering earlier than GoT.

Mildred Pierce is a mini-series, which my explain the lack of On Demand content.
    I do remember a lot of Boardwalk Empire stuff posted early. I don’t remember if it was months. It could have been. It is standard operating procedure for HBO to do this with its series — behind the scenes, get to know the characters, get to know the setting, etc. I don’t recall HBO’s mini-series receiving many On Demand extras. I remember a lot of extras for Band of Brothers and The Pacific, however. Most of it was historical and very good, as I recall.

Some other random thoughts:

I have never heard of HBO making their shows available online. If you want off season reruns you’ve got to buy the DVDs of wait HBO to put them back up On Demand. By the way, I’ve had Comcast, and now I have Verizon. I’ve noticed many more On Demand reruns available on Verizon.

I checked out the HBO link above, and it appears the videos referenced in this post will be available On Demand under “Inside Series.” I expect much more once Game of Thrones has its own section On Demand.

I can’t see why HBO wouldn’t run that 11 minute “Inside Game of Thrones” video On Demand. It is excellent. I (and I guess most of you) have watched the thing a bunch of times and have showed it to a bunch of people.

The Maisie Williams “The Artisans” video should definitely be put On Demand just because she’s as cute as a button (and smooth as summer silk, of course).

32. the goat
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

Jéssica De Freitas Maciel:
    here it ir on westeros.org:

33. DH87
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

The ep titles should be coming thick and fast between now and the series premiere. They are useful to HBO in their scheduling and promotion.
    I still think everything HBO does between now and then, and throughout the series if need be, should be focused on the characters and who the heck they are in the great scheme of things. A voiceover prologue before every ep, although unwieldy and tiresome, remains the best hope of letting viewers who do not watch five re-runs of each ep re-engage if, God help them, they miss an ep, go to the bathroom, or get a phone call while watching.

34. ablaaa
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 12:07 am | Permalink

pretty dumb title

Posted March 12, 2011 at 12:15 am | Permalink

ablaaa:
    pretty dumb title

Pretty dumb comment.

Looks like you’re our new resident troll? Your other stellar comment (in the poster thread) was “What a shitty ass poster”.

36. the goat
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 1:38 am | Permalink

Lex: Pretty dumb comment.

Exactly. Let’s not feed him.

37. Franny Bee
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 4:19 am | Permalink

GaR,

Lemme blow your mind: maybe it’s a double-entendre.

38. Aryas Horse Charle
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 4:35 am | Permalink

HBO Romanias airdate is also 18.april 2011:

39. Aryas Horse Charle
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 4:36 am | Permalink

Franny Bee,

Only works if you ommit a certain letter ”a” *cough*.

40. Jéssica De Freitas Maciel
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 7:53 am | Permalink

the goat,

the goat: Oh wait, quick as a cat.

Quick as a cat! yeah that’s our Arya

41. OhDanyBoy
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 9:04 am | Permalink

the goat: Yea, that’s gotta be her, but that’s obviously the King’s arrival at Winterfell, so I’m still not sure how she gets back in time to be in the Stark family lineup. Oh wait, quick as a cat.Kingsroad is a perfect title. Also, I’d say this synopsis pretty much cements House Gatewatch’s longtime (and honestly, kinda obvious) speculation as to the episode’s climax. Irregardless, The WiC & FaB & HmR Awesome Scripting Team, Great Job!

Perhaps that isn’t the King’s arrival? Maybe that is the hunting party, leaving or returning?

42. sareeta
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Mike Chair,

43. Abyss
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Off-tipic:
    Need a laugh?
    Games of Thrones is inspiring people to… well, stuff… :-D

44. Mike Chair
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink

sareeta: If you have Comcast, you can now watch almost every HBO series and miniseries online. Go to http://www.fancast.com. Right now they have all seasons of Deadwood, In Treatment, Six Feet Under, True Blood, The Wire, etc. Of course you need an HBO subscription to watch online.

It looks like whatever fancast.com is offering online (at least for HBO) Verizon has available On Demand. For instance, my mom still has Comcast and, right now, she does not have Deadwood On Demand. I’ve got Verizon and have Deadwood 07-12 On Demand. Fancast.com has Deadwood 07-12 available for online viewing. This doesn’t help my mom who has no computer. Rome? I presently do not have Rome On Demand. Neither does fancast.com.

N.B. this only seems to be the case for off season and concluded series. When Game of Thrones is in season, for example, the current season’s episodes will be available On Demand on both Comcast and Verizon — as well as other the other Game of Thrones goodies.

45. sareeta
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Mike Chair,

Weird…
    Are you looking here:
    ?
    For me, Fancast has every single episode of Deadwood (and every other HBO series) available to watch online. Comcast On Demand only has episodes 7-12.

I don’t really see why that should impact the Fancast content your mom gets as a Comcast customer. Maybe it has to do with where you live? Apparently different content is offered to different areas of the US. I’d call Comcast and ask them why she’s not getting access to all the content.

46. Rhoswen
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

47. JackSparrow
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Josh: a laugh

There’s only ten episodes in the season, so I’d think they’d almost have to get to the journey south in episode two, and want to reach their destination by the beginning of episode 3.

48. Two Feathers
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Jéssica De Freitas Maciel: here it ir on westeros.org:http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Gallery/Entry/2394/she is on the extreme righ of the pic on the first plane, atop the cart. Read the comments and you’ll see what game i was talking about

Thanks for the link,I can confirm that this is the Kings party arriving at Winterfell as I have just spotted myself in this shot, middle Stark guard of the three facing the cart with Arya on board. I have been pretty lucky with the screencaps,this is the fourth one I have been in….How cool is that……On a different subject, If you haven`t checked out the full trailer for Your Highness I urge you to do so. It is hilarious. Charles Dance makes a brief appearance,looking very Tywin like. Find it at NIScreen.

49. Mike Chair
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Mike Chair: Weird…
    Are you looking here:

Weird, yes. When I click on any of the series listed at the above link I get “Sorry, full length episodes of [any series] are currently unavailable.” Nothing about signing in or having a Comcast subscription etc. Just “Sorry …”

I think I will take your advise and call Comcast on her behalf. If I get no love I’m telling her to go with Verizon.

Rhoswen: Apparently, HBO GO (hbogo.com) is offering most of its inventory of shows to people who have an HBO subscription on one of the following: Comcast Xfinity TV, Verizon FiOS, Cox Advanced TV, and AT&T U-Verse. I haven’t been to the site yet, so I can’t confirm this, but I read about it here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20038716-17.html

Whoa! HBO GO! There you go. The article you cite is dated March 3, 2011 and says

“HBO is doubling down on its video-streaming service. The cable network announced yesterday that it has brought in more than 1,400 more titles to HBO Go. With that addition, the company said that customers can watch ‘virtually all of HBO’s programming inventory.’ ”

You’ve got to sign up. I’m on it. Stand by.

50. Mike Chair
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Okay I did it. It’s … exponential badassery!

51. Rhoswen
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Mike Chair: Okay I did it. It’s … exponential badassery!They’ve got Band of Brothers, John Adams, Game of Thrones, Entourage, … Wait. Did I just say “Game of Thrones?” Yes, I did. They’ve got “The Artisan” videos up there, “Invitation to Westeros”, “Behind the Scenes”, “Sneek Peek”, “Inside …” nothing I (and probably we) haven’t seen before. But, It was nice seeing it there.Sign up was easy. Took less than 2 minutes. Video quality is great — HD. I’m very happy. Thank you so much, Rhoswen. If I win that Maesters Path scent box I will definitely give you a smell. You always support the bottom, Rhoswn. May The Seven bless you and your family.

You’re welcome, Mike Chair. As for the scent box, umm. . . thank you? ;)

52. Nick
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

I spent ages downloading itunes and getting videos to work on the blasted thing, and it turns out the video is identical to the Inside GoT video, but obviously cut down. Minus those 2 new images, that’s it. bleh

Posted March 12, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Nick, thanks for doing the dirty work for us. I’ve made it this long without ever using iTunes, so I’m glad I didn’t have to break down and get it. I’ll update our post to state that sans these two shots the video is all old footage.

54. Nick
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Same here, hating all things Apple etc. But for the chance of new GoT footage, I’d do a lot worse than downloading itunes >_>

55. Nick
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Great, I degraded myself for nothing ¬_¬

56. The Rabbit
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

WiC , thank you for uploading the two new screencaps.
    Finally we got our first pic of infamous Arryn mum and son.

Somehow, I am thinking now, that in next month , you ll have a hell lotta work to do.
    So, lets help WiC, FaB and HRM by contributing in all the stuff we stumble across the web, cause I think that soon we wood have a jungle of info out there and it would be though to find the an interesting and exclusive info among all sites announcing posters, TV sceduleds etc..
    A pretty though job for only three guys.

57. Jéssica De Freitas Maciel
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Two Feathers,

You are welcome! so cool indeed. Wish i had that luck ;]

58. Jéssica De Freitas Maciel
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

guys for some reason the screencaps are not appearing here…anyone else has the same problem???

59. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

I can’t see the screencaps. Please move them to normal photo sharing site like Photobucket or something …

60. MirriMaz
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

i really love what they did with the High Hall, the iron throne is great and all but this was unexpected, so much imagination went into it. i love the weirwood throne and the circular design of the room, i really hope HBO will eventually give us Wallpapers for all the different castles.

Edit: how lovely we now have an edit button :)

61. Kanga
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

This is OT, but I thought I’d post some thoughts on the latest trailer from a friend of mine who was not read the books:

I watched the trailer and it is rather confusing, I honestly don’t understand what anyone is saying or why they’re saying it but hopefully all will be illuminated once I get to watch the actual show. I think they could have done a better job cutting that trailer for nonfans because I wasn’t entirely impressed with it, but what ever a trailer is certainly not a show.

He knows nothing about GoT other than the fact that I’m really excited for it. This is someone who works as a film editor, and I can confidently vouch for him not being your average not-HBO’s-demographic idiot.

To me this just furthers my belief that we’re going to need something different from the trailers we’ve already been given in order to sell this to the general public. But it is also just one person out of many.

62. DH87
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Abyss: Games of Thrones is inspiring people to… well, stuff…

This is what happens when Bantam releases a place-holder cover image—all romantic hell breaks loose….
    Either that, or we’ve just seen the new Summer’s Eve advertising campaign.

63. DH87
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

On a serious note, reopen Horse Gate: Our Khal is on a genuine, upside-down-necked nag in that screen cap. The poor animal looks like a refuge from a donkey caravan.
    Where is a real stallion when you need one?

64. Ed
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Permalink
  65. Ed
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

What’s to reopen? It’s been shot – nothing to do about it at this point.

DH87:
    Where is a real stallion when you need one?

66. GaR
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Ed,

It’s the reward video from part 1 of the Maester’s Chain.

::edit::

I think that scene should be episode 2. The title calls it a “pilot preview” or whatever, which I’m pretty sure, isn’t the case.

67. Ed
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

Aaaahhhh, gotcha!! Thanks!

Posted March 13, 2011 at 6:53 am | Permalink

Updated the post with some musings.

69. Drahoe
    Posted March 13, 2011 at 6:57 am | Permalink
  70. Sekhmet
    Posted March 13, 2011 at 11:55 am | Permalink

More Drogo than we’ve seen. I kind of agree, not an attractive nag. But then maybe they are going for the Mongol touch.

71. Sekhmet
    Posted March 13, 2011 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Oh please WIC. I’m getting advertising vids without clicking. Love you dearly except for that!

72. Sekhmet
    Posted March 13, 2011 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Oh man, I’m going to have to terminate my session here or have to listen to stupid vids all day!

73. Jardin17
    Posted March 13, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Is the well-looking thing the Moon’s Door where they make people FLYYY??

74. Mormegil
    Posted March 13, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Jardin17: Is the well-looking thing the Moon’s Door where they make people FLYYY??In my head I always saw it as more of a balcony/terrace without any railing. Is it just me?

In the book the Moon Door is a Door in the wall of the great hall that leads into nowhere, no balcony or terrace just thin air once you open the door. The show has changed it so it is a trapdoor in the floor of the hall.

75. OneTooFree
    Posted March 13, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

is anyone else a little surprised HBO isn’t doing a screening for GoT during SxSW? they have a huge presence here what with Treme, the new Pee Wee Herman special & all their documentaries.

76. the goat
    Posted March 13, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Lovin the TV version of the Moon Door! Although I guess this means the High Hall juts out over the edge of the mountain?