Canal+ provides new interviews, photos and commentary
By Winter Is Coming on in Marketing, Media.

Viserys TargaryenCanal+ in Spain has been doing a fantastic job marketing Game of Thrones, or Juego de Tronos, as it is called in Spanish. They have been steadily releasing new photos and interviews and even trailers with added commentary.

We’ve remarked previously on the new photos that Canal+ Spain has released on their Thrones Facebook page. They recently released a new one of Harry Lloyd as Viserys, which you can see to the right.

In addition to new photos, Canal+ has granted Spanish geek news site, Zona Fandom, access to some new interviews that have been uploaded onto Zona Fandom’s YouTube channel. (UPDATE: These interviews were supposed to be under embargo until Apr 1st, but Canal+ released them early by mistake. They will be active again at the appointed time in the same location.) One interview is with David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, and the other with Peter Dinklage. We have embedded both, along with a trailer with added commentary, after the break for your viewing pleasure.

And lastly is this trailer, with added commentary by famous Spanish filmmaker (and fan of the books) Alex de la Iglesia. The added commentary is in Spanish, obviously, but WiC reader Rinoa De La Pica has provided a rough translation.

Translation: The best material it has been written in epic fantasy, fun, passionate, is Game of Thrones. GRRM is a genius, I can’t say otherwise. It’s a delight to become absorbed in this world. He is a good artisan when it comes time to hook on, he uses the reader almost as an audience, and he has his mechanisms to manage the story to move forward in an unstoppable way. It’s a kind of Middle Age world, where it does exist witchcraft, there are huge and enormous wolves (I hope they create better wolves than those of Twilight).

There are characters who live in castles. The intrigue, the thirst for vengueance and the greed are common everyday.

There are a lot from England in this story, but on the other hand it has been set in a fantastical enviroment as in the Dungeon & Dragons or LOTR. It also recalls the War of the Roses. The story is strongly erotic, well, erotic is an old-fashioned word. Let’s say it’s very very dirty. It’s very exciting.

And then, the characters. Damn, they have so many things… I am looking forward to see how they make the series.The wall, how are the characters, There are so many characters, I don’t want to tell you but I really want to see who is playing the “dwarf”.

1. Gaz
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 10:05 am | Permalink

after seeing all the recent clips i wish we got to see more of harry loyd!

2. Elena Amici
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 10:07 am | Permalink

I’ve already watched these interviews… awesome :)

3. Maher
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 10:18 am | Permalink

ALEX DE LA IGLESIA is very apreciated here in Spain, he was in the academy and quit because of the corruption inside the academy, i’m really glad he likes this ^^.
    Great interviews! Keep the good work WiC salutes from Madrid! =)
    (sorry fo my bad english)

4. sjwenings
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I see they use Djawadis music in the background for the trailer. It would have worked quite well for the intro, and maybe Danys conquering-journey in the third season.

Posted March 19, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

That photo of Viserys is amazing. Love the embroidered Targaryen symbol. Remember our first photo of Ned, and how we were drooling with anticipation over who we would get to see next? I already miss those days. :)

6. The Rabbit
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Thanks to all spanish speakers for translating, explaining etc..

I feel a bit lost amongst all of the cool stuff emerging now from everywhere.

There is more:

HBO On demand has in its Dire wolf scene scheduled for Monday April the 4th.

7. Jéssica De Freitas Maciel
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Those were cool days =] but i keep curious about some characters

8. Tar Kidho
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Lex,

And now this thread only gets a handfull of comments in several hours – a clear sign we’ve been spoiled recently :-)

9. Abyss
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

I think there will be more interviews from Canal+ soon. I looked a bit into their older videos and found clips of Sean and Emilia I hadn´t seen before. They are from this video. A part from the interview with D&D is in it as well.

10. Villian
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

It would be amazing to get 7 seasons or more!!!

11. sjwenings
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

Yup. The thought of a new trailer coming out now, just seems halfway interesting.

12. Spartan
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

In fact, Alex de la Iglesia wrote the prologue in the spanish edition of A Feast For Crows, in wich he stays:

“Open the book and lock yourself in a confortable and quiet place. Or take it with you everywhere and read it even in the underground. Enjoy it like it were just a midsummer love. Sweet, pasionate, fleeting like all the good things are. You know it’s gonna end, and that thrills you, even terrorizes you… but you know you’ll come back, no matter how long the winter is gonna be… () and later, when this one be over, don’t be afraid: soon we’ll dance with the dragons under the moonlight”

Is the most enthusiastic prologue i’ve readed in my life!

13. Abyss
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Spartan: “Open the book and lock yourself in a confortable and quiet place. Or take it with you to anywhere and read it even in the underground. Enjoy it like it were just a midsummer love. Sweet, pasionate,fleeting like all the good things are. You know it’s gonna end, and that thrill you, even terrorizes you… but you know you’ll come back, no matter how long the winter is gonna be… () and later, when this one be over, don’t be afraid: soon we’ll dance with the dragons under the moonlight”

That´s fair and beautiful. I would read a book with an introduction like this in an instant. Great poetry senor Alex de la Iglesia!

14. Tar Kidho
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

sjwenings,

So let’s hope that in a few months time, after the ecstasy of Season One and when the cold turkey is behind us, we can get all enthusiastic again about that first picture of Season Two and go mental over its first trailer ;-)

15. Zack
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

sjwenings:
    Tar Kidho,

I know we’ve got the rest of the Maester’s Path clips, and really I think if they release nothing else but those it will be good for me.

16. Kanga
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Wow, the detail in Viserys’ costume is truly amazing. He looks fantastic. And somehow captures that perfect air of regal assholery.
    I’m torn, I don’t know whether to hate Viserys or drool over him. Will probably do both. :]

Rinoa, thank you very much for the translation! It’s much appreciated :)

17. Winnie the Woot
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

I am loving all of these trailers! (Re-)Watching them all at the same time drives home a point- everyone’s dancing around the fact that Jaime and Cersei have sex with each other. How many new (as in haven’t-read-the-books) viewers are going to jump out of their seats yelling “Oh my God I did not see that coming!” ? I know that I would. Unless, of course, it’s just the HBO is editing mentions of that out of the interviews because it’s not family-friendly enough for YouTube. Unlikely, but possible.

18. Winnie the Woot
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Winnie the Woot,

Oh, damn. I tried to do the spoiler warnings, but I guess I put the code in wrong. SORRY!

19. KG
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

i’m very mpressed with he workmanship on the costume; I especially like the vaguely kimono-ish off center embroidery.

20. Grujah
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

I saw that clip where Illyrio presents Vyseris and Denny so many times and this is the first time that I saw Unsullied in background… :P

21. dizzy_34
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Has anyone deciphered this yet? Froggy pic takes me back.

Posted March 19, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34,

In the previous thread, someone here posted a quote from someone else, saying that HBO was going to be offering Westerosi food from stalls around NYC, and also that people would be able to sit on the actual Iron Throne in Central Park. Sounded like a rumor, but now it looks like GRRM is hinting at something big happening in NYC.

23. Nick
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Zack,

We also have the 15 minute preview on April 3rd and a new 30 minute making of on April 6th

Posted March 19, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Nick,

I’m going to try to avoid those previews… Only 29 days left! Sounds like a long time, until you remember that the countdown clock started at 100 days!

Posted March 19, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit: Direwolf scene

Cool! The one thing that still troubles me is that we’ve seen almost zero direwolf action so far. You’d think they’d want to promote that aspect, since it’s one of the coolest parts of the books.

26. Zack
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Maybe they’re still tweaking the look in post…would that be done this close to the premiere?

27. Adam Whitehead
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Zack:
    Lex,

Oh yeah. I remember one particularly ambitious episode of BABYLON 5 was delivered just five hours before transmission due to the ludicrous number of effects shots needed. Some of the series finales of LOST were also only completed a day or two before transmission.

HBO would probably never leave it as late as that, but certainly right now they could still be tweaking things, especially since the direwolves won’t need to be really big until the end of the season (or they’ll just leave the bigger direwolves until Season 2).

28. Rinoa De la Pica
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Kanga: Rinoa, thank you very much for the translation! It’s much appreciated

Aww, you’re so sweet, Kanga. :) You know, if only my English were better, I’d be happier.

Spartan’s translation of the introduction of the Spanish edition of AFfC is awesome. And I agree, that preface is one of the most beautiful I have ever read. I admire and respect Alex de la Iglesia a lot. It’s a good thing he is also promoting the series here in Spain!

29. Grujah
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead:

Whispering Woods is season 1, and Grey Wind should be a beast with a capital B by that time, he killed quite a few there. Other need not be so huge and dangerous during the first season.

30. Eneko Ruiz
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Alex and George R.R. Martin:

He would be an ideal candidate to direct an episode

31. Franny Bee
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

I want Viserys’ costume. So very beautiful. How cool would it be to be one of the people who hand-embroiders those details…?

Posted March 19, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead, we know they are still recording ADR. Art Parkinson (Rickon) recently tweeted about it and, interestingly, Simon Lowe (wineseller) tweeted about having to record it for a scene where he is totally naked on screen. Clearly a new scene. My guess is Drogo will capture and torture him and will find out directly that Robert sent him.

33. mummer
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,
    I don’t think that would have to be a new scene. IIRC, the wineseller was naked when he was forced to run behind Dany’s horse.

34. Jéssica De Freitas Maciel
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Do we know until when they will still be filming?

35. Abyss
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

Off-Topic:
    Just something which crossed my mind recently. In the scene where Illyrio introduce Dany to Drogo, shouldn´t he speak dothraki to him? – I mean, our Khal has no clue what Illyrio is saying. :-D

Yah… These are the kind of things I think about… The show really has to start now…

36. Nick
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 12:05 am | Permalink

“Lord Snow” is the title of episode 3. Nice to see them focusing on Jon’s story so much. Although, these titles are a little uninspired. I prefer some what more abstract titles, with dual meanings and stuff.

37. Kanga
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 1:28 am | Permalink

Rinoa De la Pica,

Well, your English sounds great to me :)

38. durandal
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Great to see Alex de la Iglesia is a fan too. He’s the director of ‘El dia de la bestia’ .
    One of my favourite films.

39. Alkar
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:12 am | Permalink

Sorry folks, but the videos are under an embargo (except the one with Alex de la Iglesia).

Canal+ sent them to us, ZonaFandom, and we uploaded them to our YouTube Channel. HBO has just contacted Canal+ and they asked us to remove the videos until 1st April.

They will be available at the same URLs at the end of the embargo.