Quick Hits: Rising stars, blog buzz, and a comic
By Hear Me Roar on in Marketing, Media, Merchandise.

Another round-up of a veritable host of minor items from the past fortnight or so:

• This just in: Episode 3 bears the title ‘Lord Snow’ and will run for 58 minutes on May 1.
  • There are loads of Game of Thrones posters sightings coming in. Keep an eye on our Twitter account if you do not want to miss any. Also, read this ology.com report on the GoT poster campaign in NY.
  • A copywriter working on The Maester’s Path promotional campaign team shares her experience and excitement.
  • We have received this photo of a promotional sticker sent out by HBO with four heraldry designs on a quartered shield (Baratheon, Stark, Targaryen, Lannister). It seems a one-off thing, at least for now, we don’t know if and how this particular piece of promo material is going to be used.
  • A couple of items on Game of Thrones actors: Kit Harington (Jon Snow) has been cast in Silent Hill sequel, opposite Sean Bean. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jamie) has been predicted to become a star by NY Observer. I dare say he won’t be the only fresh hot name emerging from this show. Read an interviewed by Esquire with the Danish actor here. In a similar vein, Jason Momoa (Drogo) has received the Rising Star Award at CinemaCon.
  • This review of the original pilot script has come out, and it offers and interesting perspective by a non-reader. Watching it on the tv is different than reading the written word, but the insights and comments are still interesting and valid.
  • Next, we have some really nice (p)reviews of the books and the series, as well as thoughts on HBO programming, at LA Times: Hero Complex, Gunaxin.comGuy.com, and SparkNotes. The show was also covered in the UK magazine SciFiNow #52, where it got 8(!) pages of coverage. Adam Whitehead gives a report here.
  • Some new photos of the characters can be found in this LA Times ‘cheat sheet’ of Game of Thrones portraits, and a shot of Theon with his favourite weapon appeared in this blurb post from The Independent.
  • The confirmations of the April 18 airdate for the territories covered by HBO Central Europe are now all in.
  • Abducted comic has this episode dedicated to ASoIaF. The pains and pangs of being around someone who is behind on reading the books, isn’t it familar?
  • UPDATE: Well, we made it about an hour before more news broke. HBO.com has launched a cast gallery of their own and contained therein are some new character photos! I’ve uploaded all of the new photos into the Publicity Photos section of our Image gallery.

1. Hollyoak
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 8:04 am | Permalink

Uh, wow.

Can we even take any more without our heads exploding?

2. Franny Bee
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 8:27 am | Permalink

Kit Harrington, remember that we loved you first!! Anyone care to explain ‘Silent Hill’ in a manner that makes a non-gamer want to watch it? (not a fan of random violence/house-of-horrors-type movies in general. Though naturally, if the blood & backstabbing advance royal ambitions, then it’s okay ;)

Episode 3 *lesquee!* title = heaven. Must re-read WiC’s episode 3 scripting to see how ‘Jon Snow’ fits. Nice to have content like that @ your fingertips. So spoiled ( in the good way!).

Winter is Coming, bitches!

3. aschen heaven
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Kit Harington for Silent Hill?! Holy — I WILL ignore the differences with the game, I will watch it!!! XD

And Lord Snow for the win in Suvudu! 8D

4. Mike Chair
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:30 am | Permalink

The scriptshadow review of the pilot was well done. The writer (unnamed as far a I could see) struggled with the “introduction smorgasbord” of “a TON of freaking characters.” The review continues:

There were so many damn sers and ladies and lords I felt like I was at a Dungeon and Dragons convention. But if you stick with it, if you push past this early portion of the script, Game Of Thrones starts to get good.

It seems the pilot ends with the Jamie/Cersei/Bran scene as a cliffhanger. At that point in the book, I felt pretty much the same. Many character, many lords, ladies and knights, but I could tell it was going to get good.

“There’s a lot of interesting [effed] up sh[at] going on here. It kind of feels like Tudors on steroids. And acid. Lots of acid.”

Yep.

… [television] depends more on its characters. Story is important, but not nearly as much as the people who populate that story. For that reason, all of the characters tend to be richer, more detailed and more interesting.

Bullseye. This is how you review a story. Whether it’s a film, television series or novel, you analyze the characters and the writing. Mr. Martin’s characters are developed very well. The story flows from the characters. Mr. Martin can put his characters in the most mundane of situations and make it interesting.

The writer of the scriptshadow review did not read the books. We have. We know what’s coming. We know, from watching the interviews, the actors completely understand who their characters are.

The writer of the review didn’t watch the pilot. S/he read it.

It’s a good sign that the script of the first episode yielded such understanding of the story.

5. JonSnow'sBastard
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:44 am | Permalink

I have to admit. In regards to the scriptshadow review, the “this feels like a Dungeons and Dragons convention” attitude is one that I fear greatly. I know the books. I know how good the story is, but I’m absolutely terrified that a huge segment of the population will read a few things about the story/world, make some grossly inaccurate assumptions and then be too embarrassed to become a viewer.

This is not a burden that other shows have to carry. Deadwood and and The Wire could be billed as a western and a crime drama, even though both were so far beyond each genre. Even The Tudors, which the reviewer references, gets a pass because it can carry the “historical drama” tag.

The best thing about Game of Thrones, I feel, will be the way in which it will defy the definitions of several genres.

The worst thing will be the fact that most reviewers will be content to label it “fantasy” out of convenience, and a large number of people will steer clear because for whatever stupid reason they are too embarrassed to try it out.

6. Abyss
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:46 am | Permalink

New screencaps on westeros.org. One of the last pictures is a HUGE spoiler for non-readers of the book! – Of cause the screencaps are spoilerish in general.

7. Iri
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:46 am | Permalink

The Comic really cracked me out. Brilliant. Winter is [i]coming[/i], motherfucker!

8. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Franny Bee,

I am a HUGE (as in I have written academic papers on it) fan of the Silent Hill games, and when the first movie was being made I followed it in much the same way that we’re following GoT now.
    I can’t comment on this second movie (which follows the story of the third game), but the first movie really misrepresented the series and I can’t think about it for more than two seconds without becoming angry and going on a rant.
    What I WILL say about the first movie was that the visuals were stunning and captured the look of the game very well, but otherwise it was full of cheesy dialogue, bad acting and the storyline and mythos had been completely mutilated in order to serve as the masturbatory sounding board of Christophe Gans.
    Sean Bean was good in it, and if they’d stayed true to the plot of the first game and made him the lead it may even have saved it a little bit.
    The second movie is directed by a different person, and perhaps it will prove to be awesome, but I won’t follow it this time as I know I will just get infuriated. Furthermore, the presence of “3D” in the title is automatically a bit of a turn off.

If you’re interested in the series, play the games or watch someone else play them (I actually have videos recording the whole of Silent Hill one and two be played by me, as after the shittiness and disappointment of the first film I’d planned to write my own script).

9. Johan Sporre
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Don’t people care about George’s froggy update regarding GoT merchandise in NYC? Apparently the use of “pedaling” was intentional according to Parris. Also there’s the rumour about HBO having displays of food and the Iron throne in the city as well. If I lived there I’d be going bonkers :)

10. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Arrrrrrrrr.

Now I have made myself angry about it again. Haha.

11. Franny Bee
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Steve Hugh Westenra,

I understand, you’re like me with Harry Potter (and maybe GoT when/if they compromise the story to pander to the lcds out there). Raising your hackles over a beloved fandom? Trust me, lo siento.

Btw, is SH a blood-and-gore game, or more like Mario Kart? I’ve got the wheel!! XD

12. Phoenix_torn
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Hmmm… GRRMs using the Froggy again…

If the talk I hear is true, you guys ain’t seen nothing yet.

HBO is really pedaling the show.

Especially in the New York area. Lucky New Yorkers. They get the good pizza, and this…

How he teases us…

13. sareeta
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 11:18 am | Permalink

I never played the Silent Hill games (I’m a big wuss and I hear the games are really scary…even my brother said so, which says a lot)… Isn’t Sean Bean reprising a role from another Silent Hill movie? Congrats to Kit Harrington getting major exposure by being in this film. NCW WILL becomes a huge star. I really think all the major characters in GoT will gain much attention. More than anything I hope they stick with the series for many many seasons.

Great move by HBO to add a gallery. Interesting that they’ve included Theon Greyjoy but not other major characters from season 1 (Khal Drogo, Gregor Clegane).

PS I hope that we get a House Greyjoy, House Tyrell, and longer House Baratheon (Stannis?!) feature next. The names were shown (greyed out) in some of the other House features. Maybe for season 2?

Posted March 20, 2011 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Lovely, the cast and crew … but not really handy at all. Lots of useless clicking thru to get to more info, and the lack of any sensible arrangment of characters is bad :) wagging my proverbial finger at HBO. This doesn’t really help the viewers much.

Posted March 20, 2011 at 11:42 am | Permalink

P.S. Well, perhaps they HAD to follow some contract or other: the 18 principal cast members in alphabetical order – but I doubt it.

16. Elena Amici
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 11:46 am | Permalink

sareeta,

season 2.. they are not important in GoT
    BTW… episode 3 title made my day **

17. Abyss
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Johan Sporre: HBO also has started populating http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/#/game-of-thrones/cast-and-crew/index.html with bios and some videos. It also contains some new pictures (the Hound for example).

Nice find! I wasn´t able to find them in the code of the website (don´t know why), so I made hi-res screenshots.

18. Shinyteapot
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

sareeta:

Great move by HBO to add a gallery.Interesting that they’ve included Theon Greyjoy but not other major characters from season 1 (Khal Drogo, Gregor Clegane).

Maybe it’s just incomplete. I’d say at least Drogo and Littlefinger should be on there.

As an aside, I see that they are officially referring to Cersei as Lannister but Catelyn as Stark, which I still find a bit strange- while the idea of ‘Cersei Baratheon’ seems odd (more so than Catelyn remaining a Tully), if married women take their husbands’ names then surely she should too? Westeros doesn’t seem the sort of society that would allow a woman to choose whether or not to change her name- and Robert doesn’t seem the sort of person who would be happy with his wife refusing his name.

19. purplejilly
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Franny Bee,
    Silent Hill the videogame and the movies ares scary with blood and gore and monsters. No Mario Kart there. I don’t like them, but I am really sensitive to blood, gore, and horror type stuff. Which means there will be plenty of parts of GoT where I will be covering my eyes and asking my husband “Can I look yet?” He’s a good guy, he knows my tolerance level well and knows when to let me look again. But I hate it when they surprise you with stuff, and just toss it up on the screen with no warning. Like with the dead wildling girl stuck on the tree in the preview. Damn them! I need my 5 second warning to hide my eyes!

20. purplejilly
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Shinyteapot,

Agree with you on the wife taking the last name bit. Cersei’s official name should be Baratheon, even though her loyalties are Lannister. Westeros is no place for a woman to keep her maiden name, or even consider a hyphenated name.

21. Skywarpgold
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Hold on a second…With this new cast page on HBO.com, it looks like they’ve changed Jaime and Robb’s name spellings back to the way they are in the book. Look at the character profile video for Jaime from last week:

It’s spelled “Jamie” there! But they have it spelled “Jaime” on this new page and on the character profile video on HBO.com. What’s going on?!

22. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Franny Bee,

Oh, I can guarantee you that the changes made to canon in the Silent Hill movie go above and beyond what you see in most book-to-movie adaptations (with the possible exception of I, Robot). Even so, myself and many of the fans just rolled with the changes as we learned about them and trusted the director, only to fully realize the extent which said changes damaged the story upon actually seeing it.
    To give you a parallel, it would be like if they changed Ned into a woman and decided that his trip to king’s landing was the director’s exploration of what a mother (Nedette) is willing to do to protect her children. The Maesters would be eliminated, to be replaced by a vaguely-evil monotheistic religion (modeled on protestantism) headed by Melisandre (who is changed into Robert’s wife for season 1). Cersei Lannister is now a wacky, but ultimately sympathetic figure who was just looking out for her kids, but has fallen onto hard times because of it. Although she has some rough encounters with Nedette, she is reconciled with the main heroine when Nedette punishes Queen Melisandre and saves the day and everyone realizes how awesome Cersei was all along. The Red Viper, because he is a badass character whom the fanbase seems to love, is moved from season 3 to season 1. He kills Jaime in a duel to the death because they are both intense swordsmen and IT JUST LOOKS COOL. Apart from the odd cameo in the background, most of the other characters are removed, apart from Jon, who is now Nedette’s best friend and side-kick, and who travels to King’s Landing with him to help protect his babies. D:
    Also, Robert Baratheon is a little-disguised parallel with [insert-current-world-politician-here] and his fall from grace is a Lesson For Us All.

But it all looks very nice. ;p

Anyway! Sorry– I just needed to express the level of lack of respect that was had for the storyline and overarching themes of Silent Hill.

To answer your actual question, it is nothing like Mario Kart, I’m afraid. I wouldn’t say that it’s a “blood and gore game.” It’s from a genre (now dying) called Survival Horror. It is definitely and horror series and it is most certainly disturbing and weird. It is psychological and there are lots of “gross” things around in the world of Silent Hill, but it isn’t a shoot ‘em up or hack ‘n slash affair. The emphasis is really on the plotline and world and characters and not on combat (AT ALL). The series draws a lot of inspiration from the movies of David Lynch, and films like Jacob’s Ladder.
    More recent installments in the series are no longer made by the original team and mostly look as though they’re just milking the earlier games. ): I haven’t played them because I don’t consider them canon, and their existence frustrates me. 1-3 are the strongest, and 4 is good in its own way, but is quite different.

23. Phoenix_torn
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

The Diamond Retailer Service Website now lists Valyrian Steel’s Needle, Ice, and Longclaw replicas, and it appears they will actually be solicited through Diamond in April.
    I actually shrieked at work…

24. Jéssica De Freitas Maciel
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Abyss,

Thank you. I wish i knew how to get those pics directly from the hbo website, but i don’t so…

25. Wolfheart
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

I like the possible promo sticker. Although just using antlers for the Baratheon sigil is odd. I think the Stag head with Crown, or at least the stag head, would look better in following the correct charges.

It’s great to see Sandor finally getting some recognition. GO HOUND!

News from Westeros (Ran) says a NY HBO shop worker talked about a mug/stein for each house coming in the next few weeks. This is cool!

26. Abyss
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Jéssica De Freitas Maciel,

I think there is no way to get the pics directly (I mean by right-click and choosing “save as…”)
    Normaly you can find the direct link to the pic in the source code of the webseite and then you can save it.
    This time it didn´t work that way, because there simply is no link in the code if I am correct.
    The only way to get the pic is to take a screenshot of your minitor (fullscreen-mode would be ideal) by pressing “Print” at your keybord. Then you have to copy the screen into photoshop and cut away all the stuff you don´t want to be in it.
    The “knack” is to take the screenshot when the webseite is loading and only the backround is visible. It should look like this.
    I hope that helps.

Posted March 20, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

WIC, how do you get direct links to the photos on the HBO Game of Thrones site? Clicking the photos in their new cast gallery lead to full screen shots, many of which are new and awesome! But I don’t know how to get the photo itself without all the text on screen.

28. Abyss
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Lex,

“See with your eyes!” :-D

Abyss, ;-)

already done… CLICK

29. saluk
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

The ology link is wrong, here is the correct one: http://ology.com/technology/game-thrones-ads-take-over-nyc

30. Ed
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

No disrespect, but I say this with all sincerity, “Who Cares?”

Skywarpgold:
    Hold on a second…With this new cast page on HBO.com, it looks like they’ve changed Jaime and Robb’s name spellings back to the way they are in the book.Look at the character profile video for Jaime from last week:

It’s spelled “Jamie” there!But they have it spelled “Jaime” on this new page and on the character profile video on HBO.com.What’s going on?!

Posted March 20, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

saluk,

Fixed, thank you. I tihnk they changed the path somewhere along the way.

Skywarpgold,

Well, means they are more careful than the guys spelling the video titles :) They have since fixed “Robb” in the titles with an additional B.

32. Jéssica De Freitas Maciel
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Abyss,

33. Liesie
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Ed: Ed

Posted March 20, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

No disrespect, but I say this with all sincerity, “Who Cares?”

Ed,

Actually I do…

34. KG
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Oh, I dunno: Lannister Twitters would be hilarious.

35. Reupel
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Steve Hugh Westenra,

Yeah that movie was crap – but which gametomovie adaption isn’t? There are games out there which really have a great story to tell, but everytime one is turned into a movie the director/producer/studio seems to think:” Oh a video-game adpation: Let’s change everything and make our own plot”, which usually ends in a complete desaster (or worse: Uwe Boll-movies).

Sorry for the offtopic rant, but these movies based on games are really awful. I’m just glad that the makers of Game of Thrones seem to have some respect for the source material.

36. Nick Haak
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

I work in a call center and have seen the shield with the four heralds on it. I hope to get them before they are all thrown out.

37. KG
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

@LordTywin Ok gold coming out

38. The Rabbit
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar:
    Lovely, the cast and crew … but not really handy at all. Lots of useless clicking thru to get to more info, and the lack of any sensible arrangment of characters is bad wagging my proverbial finger at HBO. This doesn’t really helpthe viewers much.

I am totally with you on the HBOsiteGate.
    In general, I find HBO site not handy at all.
    Always having all sorts of trouble even with the loading of the site.
    And not to mention that I hardly find the content I am looking for.

39. Phoenix_torn
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

KG:
    Oh, I dunno: Lannister Twitters would be hilarious.

Yep

@Jaime_Lannister Would give my right hand for a drink right now

@Jaime_Lannister @J_the_Kingslayer isn’t me. Stop following

@Tyrion_Lannister 4 whores at once in Kings Landing! #winning

…I’ll stop now…

40. Jenn Rose
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

So much new stuff….

But I have tunnel vision, me thinks…

New Hound photo! Hahaha…

41. Jenn Rose
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Phoenix_torn: Yep

@Jaime_Lannister Would give my right hand for a drink right now

@Jaime_Lannister @J_the_Kingslayer isn’t me. Stop following

@Tyrion_Lannister 4 whores at oncein Kings Landing! #winning

…I’ll stop now…

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Noooooo… don’t stop!

42. theamberkey
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

@QueenCersei: Actually that’s a good idea. How do I delete tweets?

@QueenCersei: @KingRobertTheHung Gods I wish something would gore you.

@KingRobertTheHung: @JaimeLannister lol ur sister is the kingLAYER. And Im the kingPlayer. #burn

@JaimeLannister: Seriously, guys, @J_the_Kingslayer isn’t me. I do not have the hots for Brienne.

@J_the_Kingslayer My armor is made out of my dad’s poop and i <3 @maiden_of_tarth.

43. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Reupel,

Pfft. I used to care about remaining on topic, but then experienced the Great Tea Party Rant of ’11, and have since stopped caring (as much).

You make a very good point, and one that I fully agree with. I think, at the time, what made it different was that Christophe Gans made every appearance of treating the source material with respect. Despite the changes he heaped on the story and characters (and there were many), the fans kind of just went with it, because at least the fact that he claimed he wanted to bring the atmosphere and themes of Silent Hill to the screen was in itself more than most video game franchises got. I think there was also the fact that it looked amazing visually, and since we had more visuals than anything else, we were left with this optimistic attitude that he would make it work.

All of this said, there are fans of the games who DID like the movie (although some of them initially claimed to like it, only to realize a day or so later that they’d been in a state of denial, haha). Generally I’ve got the impression that fans who liked the movie and continued to think it was awesome, liked the games on a very shallow basis and didn’t really think much about characters and story and all and only really wanted to see Pyramid Head (the series’s most popular monster/villain) make things bleed a lot. D:
    It’s just these kind of people who lead to video games and gamers getting a bad rap, and which has led to the disappearance of genre in recent gaming (and the rise of cardboard main characters, generic shooters and otherwise unique series transforming into badly constructed action games).

44. Cad
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

I stumbled upon an HBO iPad app that was released yesterday. It’s very disappointing, though. It’s “interactive” in the sense that it’s a fancy version of the built-in weather app, but it also displays a location from the series with the corresponding weather you’re having.

45. Amir Mishali
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

I think it’s interesting to note who’s on the HBO cast page. Besides 13 characters we have featurettes for (7 starks, 3 lannisters, 2 taragreyns and robert) we also havejoffrey, theon, littlefinger, the hound and Jorah. On the other hand, missing are Drogo, Varys and Sam. Could this mean that their roles are downplayed?

46. Nick
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Amir Mishali,

I don’t see why they have to be “downplayed”. Drogo is barely in Dany’s story, and only speaks a few lines throughout the whole book. He’s hardly a main character. Varys is also quite a minor character in book 1, nearly all Ned’s dealings and secret conversations are with Littlefinger. He only becomes more prominent in CoK, and then is quite minor again in SoS. Samwell is slightly more prominent than Varys but I wouldn’t say to the point he should be part of the main cast list. Not until season 3 anyway.

Posted March 20, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Amir Mishali,
    It translates to screen time, contractual obligations and the like, I believe. These 18 are the top tier, series regulars/principal cast. Below that you have featured cast, which are arguably just as important to the story, but a different category in terms of production. So not necessarily downplayed compared to the books.

48. DH87
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar: These 18 are the top tier, series regulars/principal cast. Below that you have featured cast, which are arguably just as important to the story, but a different category in terms of production.

Correct.

49. Ed
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Hahahaha… Why?
    (I guees, in all fairness, one could also ask why “I” care about you caring… (shrug))

Liesie: Ed,

Actually I do…

50. Tuiyih
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

I love Theon. i’m glad they released that pic but i hope they make a portrait of him too, i’m on team Greyjoy!! XD

51. Steve the Pirate
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Regarding who is in the credits as Regular as opposed to guest starring, that usually has more to do with contracts and money than who deserves to be in the credits. I really would not read too much into that.

As for the pictures and screencaps business, using the Print Screen method is not bad, but that’s sort of a short-cut, not really the best way of getting the actual still. With that method, you wind up with watermarks and other stuff. Also, when doing that with a paused video, you tend to get blurs and not the precise moment you want. Unfortunately, the Prnt Screen method seems to be the only way to get the big pictures right now from HBO, though the smaller (like this one of Cersei- http://i.cdn.hbo.com/assets/images/series/game-of-thrones/character/cersei-lannister-160.jpg ) do have jpg files visible.

52. Hollyoak
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Nice. Just saw the House Lannister and Targaryen profiles in glorious HD on my big screen.

53. Hollyoak
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Just saw a revise of Fire and Blood. Lots of new scenes including our first scene of Sansa in character.

Dany: “I am no child.”

Lots of other cool stuff. I’m sure it will pop up online even as I type this.

54. Jéssica De Freitas Maciel
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Steve the Pirate,

Why would HBO would block the images?? well…i just really wish to get those =x

55. purplejilly
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Phoenix_torn: Yep@Jaime_Lannister Would give my right hand for a drink right now@Jaime_Lannister @J_the_Kingslayer isn’t me. Stop following@Tyrion_Lannister 4 whores at once in Kings Landing! #winning…I’ll stop now…

OMG Hilarious!!!!

56. Avalanche3319
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Hollyoak,

Yeah good stuff. Most of it we’ve seen but some new stuff too. I’m surprised it’s not up online yet…

57. purplejilly
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

theamberkey: @QueenCersei: Actually that’s a good idea. How do I delete tweets?
    @QueenCersei: @KingRobertTheHung Gods I wish something would gore you.

OMG Equally Hilarious! We have champion satirical tweeters here :)

58. The DarkStar
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Cercie, “I should wear the armor, and you the gown”

59. purplejilly
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

Hollyoak,

yep! we waTCHed and rewound several times!! a couple new tidbits thrown in. The chilling line “You weren’t supposed to be here” or “No one was supposed to be here”
    and I’m hollering Cat no, that dagger is Valyrian steel!!

60. Hollyoak
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

purplejilly:
    Hollyoak,

yep! we waTCHed and rewound several times!!a couple new tidbits thrown in.The chilling line “You weren’t supposed to be here” or “No one was supposed to be here”
    and I’m hollering Cat no, that dagger is Valyrian steel!!

61. purplejilly
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

KG: Oh, I dunno: Lannister Twitters would be hilarious.

How bout some Targ ones..
    …a week or two later…

62. purplejilly
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

The DarkStar,
    Even my 7 year old, sneaking a peak at the preview, knew that was bad. She said “oooohhhhhh’. Esp, in 1st grade land, when you tell a boy he should wear a dress, you KNOW that’s an insult!!

63. Phoenix_Torn
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

64. purplejilly
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

Phoenix_Torn: @KingRobertTheHung: Bugger. Drunk tweeted @LordTywin again instead of @LovelyTwins #FatFingerFail@LordTywin: Idiot. RT @KingRobertTheHung Cersei asleep. Big Bob needs some lovin’ @LordTywin Come take the Stag for a ride.@maiden_of_tarth: Weird. @EvaOnStage and @lovegwendoline are trying to be me. Whats with that?

WINNNING!!!!

65. Phoenix_Torn
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

purplejilly: How bout some Targ ones..@YouDontWannaWakeMe Chillin’ with a hottie in a big tub. Think maybe she can teach my sis a thing or two…#winning…a week or two later…@You DontWannaWakeMeDamn, lil sis is dressin’ like a horse ho and acting like she all that. Time to put a stop to this.@You DontWannaWakeMeOff to get drunk on something DeCenT and then plan my return!.#LookOutKingsLanding!

Love it!

66. Skywarpgold
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

lol, true, but wouldn’t HBO have produced the video that Xfinity showed as well? I guess someone caught their mistake.

67. Sammy
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

nice, the 3rd ep is a jon snow ep! i love him.

i’m in nyc and i was walking through the subways the other day and must’ve walked past 3 game of thrones posters along the way. they were all the same, of ned sitting on the iron throne, but it’s the first time i’ve seen any GoT poster just randomly in public, so it was cool. i should get down to the hbo store.

68. Jessica
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

I loved the new trailer, we get a shot of Tyrion in what looks to be the sky cell, some Tywin, and the above mentioned Cersei line. Also loved Thorne grabbing Jon by his shirt and the look Jon gives him, too awesome.

I’m still reacting to the Big Love finale :0

69. purplejilly
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

@TomO’YourHeart (singing) It’s Tourney Day, it’s Tourney Day, Gotta Get Down on Tourney Day, everyone’s looking forward to the Jousting.

@Renly’sRose (singing) Jousting from the Left side, Jousting from the Right side, Gotta Make my Mind Up, Which way will I take?

@TomO’YourHeart (singing) Feastin’, feastin’ (Yeah)
    Feastin’, feastin’ (Yeah)
    Fun, fun, fun, fun
    Lookin’ forward to the Tourney

70. Phoenix_Torn
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

@Tyrion_Lannister: Stuck on the road with @EarNecklace @ManhoodAndGoats and @WillFightForCash Not the ugliest one here

@Tyrion_Lannister: Thinking about changing my name to @BigImping Thoughts?

71. Nick
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Permalink
  72. Nicole
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 12:31 am | Permalink

Where is this new trailer? ;(

73. Chris
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 2:14 am | Permalink

I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about the new trailer… I guess maybe they only showed it on HBO before Big Love and no where else.

It was mostly stuff we’ve seen but quite a few new tidbits, most of which was mentioned above.

The best new scene was a quick shot of Bronn and Ser Vardis Egen clashing swords in the Eerie.

And, an extended version of Littlefinger telling Ned, “I’ll try and keep you alive for her stake, I never could deny your wife anything.” with a creepy eyebrow raise at the end.

Also, the scene with Cersei telling Robert something like: “I hoped you’d act like the king I once thought you would be. I should be wearing the armor and you the gown.” Her delivery was much more aggressive and “Cersei-like” than what we’ve seen so far.

Last thing that I don’t think was mentioned is Sansa pleading to her father in the scene we’ve scene at the Crossroads Inn about Lady.

74. KG
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 2:27 am | Permalink

Actually, we aren’t talking about it because we haven’t seen it.

75. Nick
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 2:45 am | Permalink

Yeah, it’s no where to be found ;_;

76. Chris
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 2:49 am | Permalink

KG,

That’s what I figured, guess I thought more people had Hbo.

77. Burgos
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 3:38 am | Permalink

Its one thing to have HBO and another to be watching Big Love at the exact time of the preview. I’d assume it will be on Youtube in the next 24h.

About the pilot script review, I’ll give the poster credit they have not read the series, but along the same lines of investigative journalism (which is all but dead in the US) do a little research before just posting random comments especially when you are giving stuff to a group of potential readers/viewers.

“…And we have the king’s 8 year old son accidentally seeing something he should not have seen, resulting in a shocking…” – As all of us know that is wrong, but honestly that should have been written correctly.

He talks about the wall slightly but says nothing of wildlings, just mentions about The Others. (early in the book if I remember right The Wall was toted as a defense against wildlings and other things)

Last hazing of the author since he admits he hasn’t read the books. “For example, Eddard’s oldest son must bear the brunt of being a bastard child, born from one of his father’s whores” – Eddard only had 1 whore… and even saying that is pushing it.

On the plus side of the review of it I did get a laugh at “We have an angry sex-crazed dwarf named Tyrion who’s so much like Charlie Sheen you wish Mr. Tiger Blood himself could turn into a dwarf so he could play the role. “

78. KG
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 4:09 am | Permalink

I don’t see where the script reviewer should be slagged, just because he isn’t a diehard fan of the books. How could he be? He didn’t read the books, he read a script.

And reading the script wasn’t the shining, central moment of his entire decade; he read it and wrote down his initial impressions.

To complain about mistakes – especially when he points out the possibility of errors before he starts – is the pinnacle of nerd-dom.

79. aschen heaven
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 4:25 am | Permalink

@asoiaf tweet posts:

Someone needs to do a compilation of those ASOIAF tweets. They’re a real winner. XDDD

80. Abyss
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 4:59 am | Permalink

This made my morning! :-D

81. saluk
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 5:27 am | Permalink

Burgos,

As a review of the SCRIPT, I think it would be better NOT to have read the books. The mistakes in judgement he makes are signs that some of the details of the characters are hard to follow for the uninitiated. Big surprise there! But the script (and the show) should not rely on any knowledge outside the medium.

For instance, “one of Eddard’s whores” – it’s perfectly acceptible in the first episode to think there may have been more than one. Without any knowledge otherwise… Plus, since the tv is going to be altered slightly, in theory they could have made ned whore around just as much as Robert did. It’s pretty clear this isn’t the case, especially with Ned’s look of disgust at Robert when he mentions his habits. However, other things reviewers may say, which strike as “wrong”, may only be wrong with regards to the books, and actually correct when it comes to the series.

Investigative journalism is one thing, an emotional reaction to a creative work is something else. I think Carson’s reaction to the script is about the same as my reaction to the material in the book up to that point. A lot of politics and characters, not a very good idea of how everyone is related, really, and nothing hooking me to keep reading. Until…

I wonder how much of the script changed between the leaked version and the real one. The leaked one was incredibly close to the book, (as if the screenwriter copied the text from game of thrones into a script editor). I suspect quite a bit of it has changed since then.

82. William Aaron Grandy
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 6:22 am | Permalink

waiting for Maester’s Path… almost noon hour here in Europe…

83. sjwenings
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 7:01 am | Permalink

William Aaron Grandy,

Me too. Turns out, even with all the teasers lately, i’m still craving more, more more.

84. John Engedal
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 7:35 am | Permalink

Hollyoak: I know. We know what happens next, don’t we? There was also a cool scene of Drogo in a tent throwing down a burning branch and striding toward Dany.

Oh for sevens sake, someone upload this trailer! :P

Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Lex: WIC, how do you get direct links to the photos on the HBO Game of Thrones site?

You mean like this?

Just replace the character name to get to the others. Or wait a couple minutes and I will have them uploaded to our Image gallery. :)

86. Jéssica De Freitas Maciel
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

i don’t know how you did but i liked it very much x]

87. Knurk
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Argh! New(ish) trailer and it’s nowhere to be found, my usual monday-morning GoT kick is not here! So spoiled..

Posted March 21, 2011 at 10:31 am | Permalink

It’s coming, they have promised us :) just needs to be stripped of some hot scenes, otherwise they can’t put it online.

89. digtastik
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

90. sjwenings
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Cool. Thanks for the heads up.

91. Knurk
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

What, no hot scenes?!? I thought the intertubes were meant solely to put extreme adult content online!

92. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Knurk:
    Hear Me Roar,

Yeah, did nobody tell them that Internet is for porn?

93. Jéssica De Freitas Maciel
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 11:15 am | Permalink

no news about the stark video extended yet???

94. TheReader
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Not sure if anyone mentioned yet, but Time Warner’s HBO on Demand channel has a Game of Thrones section now. No content in yet, but there are two separate “channels” one called “Episodes” and one called “Behind the Throne”.

Posted March 21, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Thanks, WiC! These pics are fantastic.

96. Lina
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: You mean like this?

AWESOME! I’m loving Robb so much lately, and this picture is GREAT. <3

And I'm totally going to spaz out when I come across the ads in the subway! Hopefully I'll see them on my way to the HBO store!

97. GaR
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

That doesn’t even make sense. The advantage of the internet is that you don’t need to do that.

::edit::

The latest Theon pic in the gallery is hilarious. He looks like a total redneck :B

98. TJ
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Found the trailer here – though it’s low quality (somebody filmed his/her TV).

99. MK
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 8:36 am | Permalink

I just have seen promo billboard for Game of thrones in my hometown in Poland confirming airdate for 18 of april. Nice suprise seeing Sean Been on Iron throne on your way to work

100. John Winslow Cole
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 8:43 am | Permalink

FYI, HBO On-Demand on DIRECTV now has their GoT content loaded up. I finally got to see the extended House Stark video as well as what appears to be a new lengthy feature on GoT costumes (no, it’s not the same costume, hair and make-up on with Gemma Jackson that was on Comcast, it’s one that focuses squarely on character costumes with costume designer Michele Clapton). This Costumes feature contains a load of new scenes that I don’t remember seeing before.

101. Knurk
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink

John Winslow Cole,

Me wants!

102. Franny Bee
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Steve Hugh Westenra: He kills Jaime in a duel to the death because they are both intense swordsmen and IT JUST LOOKS COOL.

*horror*

*chest pains*

103. Lina
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 9:25 am | Permalink

John Winslow Cole:
    FYI, HBO On-Demand on DIRECTV now has their GoT content loaded up.I finally got to see the extended House Stark video as well as what appears to be a new lengthy feature on GoT costumes (no, it’s not the same costume, hair and make-up on with Gemma Jackson that was on Comcast, it’s one that focuses squarely on character costumes with costume designer Michele Clapton).This Costumes feature contains a load of new scenes that I don’t remember seeing before.

Don’t know if Cablevision is prevalent outside the East Coast, but Cablevision got some Game of Thrones features on HBO On Demand as well. :) I too was able to watch the extended House Stark feature and the extended costumes video. They also had a combo feature for Houses Lannister and Baratheon, the “Invitation to Westeros” thing, and one of the older, more generic “About GoT” featurettes.

The Costumes video was pretty cool. I like how the designer really seemed to be working off of aspects of the character’s personalities. I thought her description of Ned as elegant but extremely practical was spot-on.

104. John Winslow Cole
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Lina: Game of Thrones features on HBO On Demand as well. I too was able to watch the extended House Stark feature and the extended costumes video. They also had a combo feature for Houses Lannister and Baratheon, the “Invitation to Westeros” thing, and one of the older, more generic “About GoT” featurettes.

Sounds like the same exact set of videos that is on DIRECTV. The costume video was great, showing some real thoughtfulness in the individual garbs. I found it really interesting the thoughts behind the costumes for the guys who wear the black on the wall.

Also a couple of new footage from that Costume video really stood out for me:
    - Arya yelling “seven hells” after Sansa’s tantrum talking about wanting to marry Joffrey and having his babies.
    - Tyrion lecture to Jon about how he had a better upbringing than the other lads in training and gives Jon a slice of humility.

105. Jéssica De Freitas Maciel
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Well and when will someone post then on youtube????? pretty please???

106. DH87
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

digtastik: Any idea when tv critics will be seeing the first episode? I’m anxious to read reactions to the finished product.

Typically the critics are given the first three episodes to preview all at once so that they can write reviews that their outlets can post the day before/day of the premiere episode( if they are blogs/dailies) and can write meaningful analysis if they write for outlets with longer lead times. I’m not sure when these critic reels go out, but critics agree to embargoes on their analysis until the night before/day of the first episode. Those who don’t follow the rules are not always included the next time a new series debuts so that keeps folks pretty honest.

Spoiler/leaks don’t count in this scenario and there are folks who are considered TB gossip columnists/bloggers who aren’t technically “critics” for major papers like the LA Times, Washington Post, NY Times, etc. The lines between journalists and critics is now pretty much blurred and folks like Maureen Ryan (now of AOL TV but previously of the Chicago Tribune) will probably retain her major-reporter influence in a lot of circles, even though she is not connected to an ink-on-paper outlet anymore.

107. DH87
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

DH87,

That should have been the “premiere” episode, not the “preview” episode. Oh—cool—I edited it myself. Win!

108. Jessica
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

thanks for the heads up Lina, watching it now. ;)