An app of Thrones
By Winter Is Coming on in Marketing, Media.

The NorthHBO has released an official Game of Thrones app for Apple devices (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad) entitled Ice and Fire. The app relates the weather in a particular city to a region in Westeros (or Essos). I have heard that there are 15 different regions/scenes, including Pentos, Winterfell, the Wall and the North. If you have the app, please share in the comments the other scenes you have found. The app is US-only.

Winter Is Coming: Ran made the suggestion that this app might tie into today’s Maester’s Path challenge. It seems this week the challenge will be based on touch and an app for a touch-based device is a clever way to implement it. I’m not exactly sure what the puzzle will entail, but it might be a good idea to get some screenshots of the different scenes, in case they are needed for the puzzle. Any one have some they would like to share?

1. Jackie MacPherson
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:05 am | Permalink

US only :(

2. John Winslow Cole
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:13 am | Permalink

So far, from what I remember seeing is the Dothraki Sea, King’s Landing (front gate), Winterfell (wide shot), Winterfell (closeup on wall), Winterfell (stream under bridge, when raining), Winterfell (godswood, when hazy), The Wall, The North, Pentos

3. William Aaron Grandy
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:18 am | Permalink

sucks if u don’t own an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad…

4. Laura
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Only for iThings. :( How about an android app?

5. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Since it’s US only it matters a bit less to me that they haven’t put out an Android version (as I won’t be buying any iPhones anytime soon). Although if there was an Android version it would of course be easy to get it outside the US.

6. Julian Budke
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Well, there are more Android- than iPhones out there…
    I do have a spare iPhone here, but I live in Germany, so I won’t be able to try the app. It would be really annoying if you’d need an US(!)-iPhone(!) to complete the challenge.

7. Jason S. Rosenblum
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:26 am | Permalink

HBO’s app is not the only app! Check out Game of Thrones Companion for iPhone and Android.

iPhone at http://bit.ly/gaxSgh

Android at http://bit.ly/hItRbc

Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Good thing is we won’t need to have the app to solve the puzzle.

9. Saso Alauf
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

I just read the same thing…

I still have my hopes up for a knock on the door and Emilia Clarke on the other side…

10. Steve C
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

I can confirm, while the maester’s path puzzle coming later today and the iOS app are linked by a common theme, you absolutely don’t need one to solve the other (in fact, the app won’t really help you at all). We realized a puzzle that only US Apple fans could solve would be very unfair :)

But hope some of you enjoy the app – we’re really happy with it. The “stormy” scene is probably my favorite, as it shows Winterfell’s tower getting hit by lightning.

11. Julian Budke
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Saso Alauf:
    Hear Me Roar,
    I just read the same thing…

You can have her…. I’ll take Tamzin Merchant, she’s way hotter. ;)

@Steve
    Thanks for the heads up :)

12. Saso Alauf
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Steve C,

hey, the first challenge was only solvable by the people who got scent boxes…or would be, if they we’re posting their scans online :)

13. Saso Alauf
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:50 am | Permalink

John Winslow Cole,

last link…since when is Budapest in the US?

14. Hollyoak
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Since we don’t have a forum board here, I am going to go off-topic of this post and throw something out. We’ve all been pretty spoiled by the goodies HBO has thrown our way. In fact, it is so much I am beginning to feel a little num.

Anyway, once the season gets underway, will you all still seek spoilage? Will you look for images and previews of upcoming episodes? Will you be a spoiler-holic?

I, for one, will not. After watching the 15-minute preview, I will not seek anything else out. And when the first episode airs, I won’t even watch as the HBO announcer says “On the next Game of Thrones.”

I don’t even want to see previews of upcoming episodes. I do that with my favorite shows like Fringe and Boardwalk Empire, etc. So I am wondering if anyone else will suddenly stop with all the spoilage.

15. OhDanyBoy
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Saso Alauf,

Well, they probably knew they would post their scans online. If they read even one post on either of Westeros or this site.

16. Saso Alauf
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:59 am | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

well sure, but in a way, that’s cheating…

nevermind, I’m just cranky because I didn’t get a box :P

17. Jamie
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Hollyoak:

I agree. I had to stop because it was too much and I was getting numb to it. I don’t even think I am going to watch the 15 minute preview. I am just going to watch the first episode cold beyond the stuff I had seen up until a few weeks ago.

Posted March 21, 2011 at 10:08 am | Permalink

John Winslow Cole, nice pics! Thanks!

19. John Winslow Cole
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Couple more iPad pics:
    Winterfell (wide)
    Pentos (sea)

Posted March 21, 2011 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Saso Alauf,

Nah, no cheating. It was meant to be that way. Opinion leaders putting sharing those, the online community of fans following, taking stock, collecting all the data. With the boxes being different, cooperation of this sort was planned ;) a good move to engage everyone, and a big success.

21. John Winslow Cole
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 10:33 am | Permalink

And a couple more iPad pics:
    The Wall
    The North

22. Brude
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 10:46 am | Permalink

William Aaron Grandy:
    sucks if u don’t own an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad…

It also sucks if your iPod Touch is older, like mine. Tried to DL it but it said it would only work on 4th generation iTouch.

They really needed to put it on Android too (I have an Android phone) – there are more Android phones than iPhones.

23. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Hollyoak,

I won’t be seeking it but I don’t think I’ll shy away if I happen to see anything since I already know everything that’s going to happen. I can’t really spoil things I already know that much, that threat is mostly when I’m about to watch something that’s completely new to me.

24. Franny Bee
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 10:58 am | Permalink

US only AGAIN. Someone should remind them who won the War of 1812…

25. Jordan Healey
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Steve C,

by later today do you mean later than normal?

I live in Australia and usually Maester’s Path is released while I am asleep, however I was considering staying up for this one if its not too far away (1-2 hrs), KEEN

otherwise I’ll go to bed and view it when I get up

26. Franny Bee
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 11:03 am | Permalink

John Winslow Cole,

Thank you :) omg I love the Pentos manse one!

27. trickyric
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 11:13 am | Permalink

For Non USians. You should be able to switch to the us version of the itunes store, (memory says the link is somewhere near the bottom of the page) then sign up for a new account with a new email address. This should work fine for any free apps. If you then sign out of the app store on your phone, then sign back in with you new apple id. Once downloaded you should be able to sign back into your normal id and the app should remain on you phone. Not sure how the weather side of it will work if it detects you outside the us

28. Mike Chair
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Essosgate?

“Essos”? There is no mention of the term/place “Essos” in the four existing, released novels. Based upon it’s use here and in other sources, it is purported to be the name of the Eastern Continent. It is in the official pronunciation guide. It is mentioned several times in westeros.org and in A Wiki of Ice & Fire (awoiaf.westeros.org). Citations for the term include a 2008 interview with George R. R. Martin, but the term is used as a parenthetical quote creating the confusion that the transcriber inserted it for clarity and that the term did not come from Mr. Martin’s mouth.

One of the pages in westeros.org mentions”Essos” as a term appearing in the official pronunciation guide and states that it is the “as-yet unpublished name for the Eastern Continent” without further citation. Another page in westeros.org uses the term citing three of its own pages titled, The Citadel So Spake Martin. The first and second pages do not mention the term. The third page references a transcript of a chat with a link to a web archive that does not open.

Does anyone have a a link to an actual transcript, audio or video of Mr. Martin saying “Essos”? Does it appear in the Dunk and Egg Tales?

Just watching for gates.

29. Jéssica De Freitas Maciel
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 11:39 am | Permalink

John Winslow Cole,

Thank you!!! These are so beautiful

30. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 11:40 am | Permalink

I’m not that hung up that I won’t be able to complete/attempt the Maester’s Path for today, given that the previous one wouldn’t load on my computer either, but it seems a tad elitist that this one specifically requires you to own an expensive piece of technology (an ipad or ipad like device).
    Really not cool. :/

31. OhDanyBoy
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Mike Chair,

If Ran has it on Westeros, it’s canon, as far as I’m concerned. Plus, I’m sure D+D got it from the man himself anyway.

32. Tyrion's Whore
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Jaime Lannister is on Twitter

33. OhDanyBoy
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Steve Hugh Westenra,

It has nothing to do with the app – the maester’s path will be totally unrelated. Steve C from Campfire even commented above that the app wouldn’t really even be helpful in completing the Path’s new link.

34. Lina
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Wish they had it for Droid. Realistically, it seems pretty useless, but I would definitely still download it.

35. sjwenings
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

New Maester path is up! And i’m clueless!

36. Jackie MacPherson
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

I have a feeling the iPhone app might have something to do with it as it was advertised at the start of the path.

Think the phases of the moon might be a help but no time to try here at work, will have to wait until later.

37. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

I didn’t mean the need to use the app though, I meant the whole ipad thing (unless that isn’t true?). Anyway, it’s up now, so I guess I’ll find out in a few minutes. ;p

38. Black Lion
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Tyrion’s Whore,

Wow, it’s really good!

39. Lina
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

I’m pretty sure Essos is correct. I’ve always heard it referred to as so, and I think that if it were an error all along, GRRM would have spoken up by now and told us all the real name. Makes sense too. Westeros, Essos – they go together.

40. Jonathan Leard
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

I can vouch that the app is kind of useless but also kind of fun. Much like the official weather app on iOS, it’s mostly just a curiosity, with much more robust weather apps for people who want more than a look out the window.

41. Scott E
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

I’m surprised no one has mentioned this– but the app doesn’t show a static picture, it’s beautifully animated (looks almost like a looping video, but more seamless and artistic). I was expecting to be underwhelmed but it’s so awesome!

Also, there are different versions of each animated scene for day (complete with animated clouds flowing by) or night (stars and moon), and even storms.

42. jude
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

Wow. So I was pretty excited to download this app, but OF COURSE its US only.

43. Rutep
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 9:09 am | Permalink

Tyrion’s Whore,

“Still can’t complain, it’s Mandy Moores turn to join him on the hunt, I’ll be able to meet C.”
    20. mars 2011 22:41:16 via web

Potential spoiler to new viewers? It at least strikes me as suspicious to people with their eyes open…

44. Rutep
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Rutep,

Hmm, Cersei seems to be dangerously indescreet on there, too. Don’t they realize that anyone can read this and put two and two together, even report their suspicions to the King?

Also, from Jaimes Twitter this is taking place during Arryns reign as Hand, long before Joffrey and Sansa are betrothed, so who on earth is Cersei referring to here?:

Tired of smiling for that little twit. She’s as dumb as her father, but so long as Joff is happy…
    about 17 hours ago via web

(Not that Cersei would be smiling at Sansa for the sake of Joffreys happiness per se)

45. Franny Bee
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Rutep,

I’m being followed by Queen_Cersei on twitter. OMG! ‘P stopped me in the hall. Interesting news. Headache now.’ P = Pycelle?

46. Rutep
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

Franny Bee,

Yeah, that sounds likely. I wonder if his news had anything to do with a certain Hand ;)