Food truck serves up tasty Westerosi fare
By Winter Is Coming on in Marketing.

Game of Thrones food truck

By all accounts, yesterday’s Game of Thrones food truck was a smashing success. The truck set up shop in the Union Square section of Manhattan and people literally began running towards it from all directions. Within minutes there were over 150 people in line and two hours later those 150 people (plus 150 more) were served up some hot, King’s Landing-inspired morsels.

Game of Thrones dishes

It was a long and chilly wait for the many folks in line, but all seem to agree it was well worth it. Matt Marquez from ..ology has a great report up about his experience, as does Darth Rachel at her blog. You can find more photos at Campfire’s Flickr photostream.

Today’s food truck will be serving Riverlands-inspired dishes, watch Tom Colicchio preview today’s food and take a peek at the menu. The food truck will be headed to Astor Place today. Keep an eye on @GameOfThrones for the exact location to go out around 6PM. And plan to get there early!

1. DrBug
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Hungry now… Damn that looks awesome…
    Can practically smell it.

2. John Keady
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Makes me wish I were in NYC!

3. Mr. Frey
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Today’s truck will be in Astor Place. It doesn’t seem like the truck is traveling very far.

4. DarthRachel
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink

aww thanks for mentioning me!

and i can vouch for the people running towards the truck thing. the moment it pulled up it got swarmed.

5. DarthRachel
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Mr. Frey,

i thought the same thing… i really thought it would be on the upper west side today.

6. HeyJoe
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Where are the pickled larks tongues? Blood puddings? Stuffed boars heads?

7. anuhealani
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

DarthRachel,

I do hope they come up to Columbia (where I work) eventually if they’re going to stick with the “crowded areas of young people” demographic. :D

8. Lina
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

That looks really good. A friend and I are going to try to catch it today!

I can’t believe people were running toward it. I wonder if its all fans or just random people. It’s definitely a chiseled-in-stone Manhattan truth that random people will do a lot of things for free food, even if it is from a book series-turned-TV show.

9. mummer
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

If you tell them you’re pregnant, you get a free raw horse heart!

10. anuhealani
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Lina,

There may have been a few randoms, but I’d say it was pretty fan-heavy. A couple of randoms did stop to ask me what the queue was for, at which point I helped pimp the show (and books) a bit.

11. Lina
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

mummer:
    If you tell them you’re pregnant, you get a free raw horse heart!

This would be so creepy. And PETA would definitely show up.

12. mummer
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

mummer,
    And now I can’t stop hearing “The Stallion Who Mounts New York”… sung by Frank Sinatra.

13. seb
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Lina,

Lol americans, still digusted by horse meat.

14. Lina
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

seb:
    Lina,

Lol americans, still digusted by horse meat.

Hah, I think it’s more of the raw heart aspect!

I’ve actually tried horse! I ate it once while living in Europe. It wasn’t bad, but for the rest of the time I was there I stuck to standard meats, poultry and seafood. ;)

15. Tar Kidho
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

seb,

Is that so? Ah well, they don’t know what they’re missing – together with duck it’s best tasting meat in my opinion!

Oh yeah, and I’m hungry now, so gotta go home to prepare some food. I guess I won’t be working late this week ;-)

16. seb
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Lina,

i know, just trolling :p

17. DarthRachel
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Lina,

there were def people in line that had no idea what it was for. the cold dealt with most of them though haha.

18. Lina
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

seb,
    No worries, I didn’t take offense.

DarthRachel,
    Oh man, it’s not as cold today, right? Hopefully this one isn’t completely mobbed by random pedestrians. And nice write-up by the way!

19. seb
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Lina,

I’ll try harder next time ;)

20. Myles Ehrlich
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Yesterday was lots of fun, though I agree lots of people on line didn’t know what was going on. A good number I saw were also there for Tom Colicchio. The woman ahead had never read the books before, and was upset when Colicchio wasn’t in the truck.

The food was delicious (I had the rabbit) and the lemon cakes were really flavorful. It’s too bad I can’t go tonight, since I have class at 6:20. It’s even worse because I’m an NYU student, so it’s pretty much up the block from my classroom. Oh well.. hopefully they stay around my area.

21. SeanFan
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

I’m a bit worried about how successful this PR for the show really is (for the average lay person who isn’t a fan or has read the books), especially after reading a few comments that people didn’t know what the lines were for. The problem is when people see free food (or free anything) they tend to “shark frenzy”. No one really is paying much attention to signage. Is anyone really paying any attention to what show, when and what time after stuffing their faces? I think they needed to set up more visible banners or stand up signs promoting the show along with the truck. The size of the lettering stating the day and time of the show and the HBO logo on the truck were way to small. The placement was at the bottom. I think if it had been the lead in phrase at the top of the truck in bigger letters, it would have been a better promo for the show and also easier to understand the purpose of the truck. Maybe even handing out napkins with the title, date, and time of the show or a small flyer with the meal would have been good!

22. Steve C
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

SeanFan,

23. Franny Bee
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Okay, anyone hoping our HBO friends take pity and sneak us some grub at our moot/GoT love-in? Because… we’ll dance for Westerosi food!

24. The Winter Rose
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Astor Place huh? Dammit… I don’t want to transfer to the 6 during rush hour >_<;
    Mebbe I'll just go to 14th and walk down or wait until Friday. Hmmm decisions, decisions…

25. dizzy_34
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

I want that food truck! That thing is badass.

26. Julian Walker
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

I know this has nothing to do with the post above, but did anyone notice that if you put A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings together its AGOT ACOK…..as in Ah got ah cock!!!

Just wandering…..

27. dizzy_34
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Julian Walker,

You sir, are a genius…

28. Khorak
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

If anyone hasn’t begun the Maesters Path promotion for Game of Thrones yet I would highly recommend it, some of the puzzles are awesome with equally exciting rewards. Anyways it would help me out getting my 5 novices if you signed up for that here http://itsh.bo/gWNz7l

29. Wolfheart
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

OUt of left field. But have any New Yorkers gone to visit the HBO shop to see what props and items they have on display this week? I can’t remember if they were going to change it everynow and then.

30. Lina
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Wolfheart,

I was there this past Friday and they still had the first set of props. I was told the props will be changing, but I didn’t get the impression they’d be changing just quite yet. The staff encouraged me to call in and ask if anything had been changed, so that might be an option if you want to check.

31. purplejilly
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Julian Walker,
    Fits perfectly with the rampant patriarchy that abounds in Westeros in general :)

32. darthrachel
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Wolfheart,

i went twice haha. and wrote about it on my blog here:

http://scienceofdiscontent.blogspot.com/2011/03/they-say-clothes-make-woman.html (pictures and stuff)

It was worth checking out. I don’t think they are rotating the displays though.

Edit: i am wrong. they are rotating it. not quickly.

33. darthrachel
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Lina,

oh yeaaa? guess… i’ll be going back again!

34. Zack
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Sounds like I may have to make another trip down. And this time with a camera :)

35. ablaaa
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

that “you win or you die” sure must have attracted a lot of starved souls

36. Sophie Wang
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

HBO just posted on Facebook that new posters are up in the shop. Seems like they are the character promo posters!

37. VirulentShadow
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Julian Walker,

Do you wonder why you wander? Or is your wondering why you are wandering just a wandering wonder?

38. Lina
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Sophie Wang:

I just checked the site, and they indeed are the Throne promo posters. $9.99 each.

darthrachel,
    Yes, I foresee that I will be going back several times. :) Also, I was very glad to see on your blog that you got the Stark tshirt (I did as well)! I was worried there wouldn’t be enough Stark love because people had been complaining about the direwolf design.

39. Avalanche3319
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Lina,

Heads up on the posters, they are listed as 11×17 inches. I almost ordered one before I noticed that in the fine print. For $10 plus shipping I want a full sized poster HBO…

40. darthrachel
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Lina,

eepp.. took it back! I am horrible. Traded it for a Targaryen one. I decided it wasn’t so much the design, but the color of the shirt. Difficult to wear.

41. SeanFan
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Steve C: SeanFan, Everyone standing in line got a free menu with tune in information front and back.

Thanks! I was hoping that they had SOMETHING in the way of info. besides just the lettering on the truck (which I still think was way too small). Not everyone had time to stop to eat so for the people passing by (walking or driving) all they had to go by was the info. on the truck. The show title, date, and HBO logo needed to be bigger.

42. Mike Chair
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Avalanche3319,

The Targaryen “Fire and Blood” stein is badass.

Description:

Raise a glass to the house of Targaryen! Toast your mates and tell stories of battles won, all while enjoying your beverage of choice from the Game of Thrones Targaryen “Fire and Blood” Stein.

Price: $24.99
    Ouch. What’s the thing made of, Valyrian steel? Dragonbone? Dragonglass?

The Daenerys T-Shirt is okay. It’s rated G. I would have settled for PG-13 for the $25. You know, mahaps a navel or thigh. The graphic reads “I do not have a gentle heart.” Lame.

I think I’ll wait for the Dolorous Edd T-Shirt. The graphic should read “Why does he get more worms than I do?” It would be an all-time best seller.

43. Johan Sporre
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Mike Chair,

Apparently something that devalues quickly (they cost $40 two days ago).

44. Johan Sporre
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Today’s food truck is at the SW corner of Astor and Lafayette.

Posted March 29, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Mike Chair,

WOW! The steins went down in price. They WERE $40 yesterday, so to me $25 is a good deal. Thanks for pointing that out.

I’m probably gonna buy the Stark, Baratheon, and Greyjoy ones. I like the Targaryen one, but it should have been black not white.

46. Avalanche3319
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Yeah $25 seems like a good deal now. I wasn’t even considering getting one before, but now I may just have to pick one up.

47. Zack
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I’ll be getting one or two for sure. Appreciate the heads-up!

48. Bro
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

Julian Walker,

Weird but i have to admit I did notice the ACOK part the min I bought the book!

49. Lina
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

darthrachel,

Awww, Starks get no love! But I understand. The color is kind of awkward; I’m pretty sure that beige/tan doesn’t look good anyone. I bought mine with the intention of wearing it around my house/for pajamas. I plan to get the Targaryen one, but I’m waiting until the store gets the women’s sizes to see which fit I like better.

So guys, I went to the Astor Place truck. The squab was really good, but the bread pudding was even better! You could really the spices/wine/raisins! And the lemoncakes are amazing!!! OH MAN I didn’t want it to end! It was funny, because my friend and I were waiting in the middle of the Astor Place intersection (near the cube), and then when the truck pulled up everyone started running, just like some of you guys said happened yesterday. Everyone seemed to be in good spirits, and GoT fans seem to be a really diverse group of people, which is great! An overall awesome experience! :D

50. Brude
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

Ugh, I wanted to go today so bad but my friend had a busted up ACL and other more minor maladies, so I just hung out at her place and watched her play Dragon Age 2, which she just got.

We’re going to try again tomorrow. She’s all excited about the black fish dish…but shouldn’t that have been for the Riverlands? I think they have it for the Wall (too lazy to check the menu).

51. schpat
    Posted March 30, 2011 at 3:12 am | Permalink

Kings Landing and no Bowls of Brown?

52. Tar Kidho
    Posted March 30, 2011 at 3:13 am | Permalink

Lina: and then when the truck pulled up everyone started running, just like some of you guys said happened yesterday.

Someone has to make a video of that one of these days and put it on youtube! :-)

53. JonJon
    Posted March 30, 2011 at 3:14 am | Permalink

seb,

How about eating pet cats and dogs? Does that bother you? Just curious.

54. Lina
    Posted March 30, 2011 at 9:00 am | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

Yeah! Right after it happened, I was cursing myself for not recording it! If I go another day I’ll be sure to be prepared!

55. DarthRachel
    Posted March 30, 2011 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Anyone planning on going today? (Wed). Gotta say.. the Wall menu is less than appetizing…

56. Lina
    Posted March 30, 2011 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Yeah, today’s menu is not as inspiring as the others, but I may still go. Do we know where it will be yet?

I really wanted to go to tomorrow (Pentos), but I’m not sure if I will make it. :( But Friday – viva la North!

57. Lina
    Posted March 30, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Also, for anyone interested, the GoT Facebook said today’s truck will be in the vicinity of Lincoln Center.

58. DarthRachel
    Posted March 30, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

So I spoke to a friend today and I found out a few things about the food truck

Today’s Lincoln Center location will be the only “up town” location.

There’s a hot dog cart in the spot the truck is going to be at to reserve it beforehand, if you want to scope out the area before the 6pm exact location announcement

The chefs in the truck are Colicchio’s top su chefs!

59. Zafri Mollon
    Posted March 30, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

Wish I could get in on that. Wonderful marketing.

60. dobesol
    Posted March 30, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

I just got a ticket for LA, I’ll be going to Monday and Tuesday’s cart! I can’t contain myself, how exciting! So…LA moot anyone?

61. Steve c
    Posted March 30, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

DarthRachel,

The entire food truck team is from Colicchio & Sons. We’re so lucky to get chefs of that calibre – the way they are preparing and plating the food is unbelievable. Tom is overseeing closely too, although hasn’t been able to get to the truck so far due to the rather more important duty of being a brand new father :)

62. Steve c
    Posted March 31, 2011 at 12:01 am | Permalink

DarthRachel,

Oh and the reason the truck is in New York this weekend and LA next is so that the same chef can fly to LA to supervise there on site. So the peeps in LA will get the exact same experience and quality (except, possibly, the rain and snow),

63. Lina
    Posted March 31, 2011 at 12:29 am | Permalink

DarthRachel, your advice about the hot dog truck came in handy! My friend and I found it and ended up being the fifth/sixth person in line! The black seafood stew was better than I expected. Much spicier than what I imagine the Night’s Watch to be eating, but good!

1. [...] Food truck serves up tasty Westerosi fare – Winter Is Coming. [...]

2. [...] go into too much detail here but some great accounts of the food and experience are by fan site Winter is Coming (who I’m sure will have a new post after a firsthand experience in NYC on Friday), NYC Menu [...]

3. [...] go into too much detail here but some great accounts of the food and experience are by fan site Winter is Coming (who I’m sure will have a new post after a firsthand experience in NYC on Friday), NYC Menu [...]

4. [...] go into too much detail here but some great accounts of the food and experience are by fan site Winter is Coming (who I’m sure will have a new post after a firsthand experience in NYC on Friday), NYC Menu [...]