Two more critics hop aboard the hype train
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

Influential TV critics Dan Feinberg and Alan Sepinwall of HitFix.com have released their latest podcast, entitled (coincidentally enough) Firewall & Iceberg, where they talk for 20 minutes about Game of Thrones. The verdict? They loved it. Feinberg has read the first book and part of the second, however Sepinwall, despite pressure from fellow critics such as Mo Ryan and James Poniewozik, decided to not read the book so he could better review the show. So his viewpoint is particularly heartening as he is someone who has a large reading audience and is reviewing the show as just a TV viewer and not a book fan.

They talk about the show in glowing terms, comparing it to The Sopranos and The Wire. They say that outside of Lord of the Rings, this show contains one of the most fully realized fantasy worlds on screen. They say that the acting is stellar across the board, with particular stand-outs being Maisie Williams, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, and Mark Addy. They say…. well, I could go on and on about all the good things they say, but it’s easier if you just listen!

1. Knurk
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Listening to it now, feels really good hearing these esteemed critics loving this show. But I’m also curious to Ryan McGee’s review tomorrow who said it was no love-fest for him.

2. Pamoya
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

I love that they love Maisie! I’m so glad to hear that the show got Arya right.

Also, Alan Sepinwall’s good opinion is particularly heartening to me. For my two favorite shows, Mad Men and the Wire, his commentary has been my first stop after watching. I’m very pleased he likes the show as a non-reader.

3. Julian
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I’ve gotta a question? What are we going to do AFTER Game of Thrones is finished airing? In 2017, when the last episode airs, what new fantasy series will we then watch? I have a strong feeling that this show is gonna last a while, so who else is concerned about next’s decade entertainment?

And no I am not trolling…just want personal opinions

Posted April 11, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Yay! I’ve been feeling nervous since last night, when I saw the negative tweets from two other critics. Apparently we can expect a couple of not-so-positive reviews soon, from Mo Ryan’s colleague Ryan Mcgee, and from some other guy (forget his name).

Posted April 11, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Julian,

The Hobbit part 1 (2012), The Hobbit part 2 (2013), and then multiple re-watches of the Hobbit on DVD (2014 – infinity).

6. saluk
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Great podcast. Loved hearing them trash on Law and Order, and point out how dumb the networks are for making 4 of the exact same show, when the concept wasn’t great to begin with.

Oh, Game of Thrones? Yeah, that bit was good too :) Particularly interesting to hear all of the praise for the actors. It sounds like Maisie has a little bit of a career ahead.

Posted April 11, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Knurk, from what I have heard, Ryan’s main issue with the show is whether or not it is accessible to people who have not read the books. Alan’s comments in this podcast seem to contradict that criticism. We shall see.

Posted April 11, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Ryan’s twitter says his preview will be out tomorrow night, and a mega-podcast with Mo Ryan and guests (also tomorrow night).

The suspense is killing me! This is why I didn’t want to get caught up in following the reviews.

9. Ed
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Or how smart they are, for not reinventing the wheel if they can make money hand-over-fist for producing the same thing. Don’t forget, it’s a business, plain and simple. They’re to be admired for their business acumen, whether or not it fits Saluk’s personal opinion of what dumb is.

saluk:

10. TastesLikeTheSea
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Interesting tweet by Westeros:

GRRM notes a character killed in 1st season not actually killed until 3rd novel; noted to D&D, but they stuck with it. #GameOfThrones

Wonder who it is…..

Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

TastesLikeTheSea,

Whoa… this worries me! Hopefully it’s no one major.

12. Ed
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

???????????????????

TastesLikeTheSea:
    Interesting tweet by Westeros:

Wonder who it is…..

13. Herr Fick
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Since his decision to refrain from reading books in order to provide a ‘pure’ viewer’s perspective, Mr Sepinwall’s judgement about Game of Thrones is one that I anticipated especially. It seems to have played out for him, too, because now (amongst all the hype from SoIaF readers – who almost always are fans) his review is of great interest for us.

Really good to know that he likes the final product.

14. garik16
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

I wouldn’t be worried about comment: Undoubtedly this means that a member of Rob’s group dies in the first movie who would normally not perish until the Red Wedding. It is undoubtedly not someone of relevance.

15. Josh Parker
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

TastesLikeTheSea: Interesting tweet by Westeros:Wonder who it is…..

Candidates are:

Tywin
    The Old Bear
    Lyssa Arryn
    Marillion
    Shae
    The Greatjon

Don’t think it’s gonna be Shae as her part in Seasons 2 & 3 are too important and there’s great potential for nudity with her.
    Don’t think it’s gonna be Tywin as the third season would have to be changed significantly.
    Don’t think it’s gonna be the Old Bear because then who would lead the ranging in season two?
    Don’t think it’s gonna be Lyssa because there’s just too much left for her to reveal in season three.

If it’s the Greatjon, not much changes because after book one he’s little more than a lieutenant to Rob whose role could easily be filled by someone else.

If it’s Marillion, we’ve lost literally nothing, as they could have anybody blamed for Lyssa’s murder in Season 3.

16. Bjørn Sørlien
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,
    You really should have used the spoilerfunction on your post

17. Josh Parker
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

I’ll confess to a fear that it’s Tywin due to not being able to sign Charles Dance on for more than one year.

I really hope I’m wrong. Something tells me when casting a character as important as Tywin, part of the requirement is that you sign on for the first three (possibly four if my theory is correct) seasons.

18. Galadrielle X
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

I am pretty sure I will be watching a show called The Sword Kills Evil. It will be great! Based on a series yet written by Michael S. T. Eitherway called A Ballad of War. Mr. Eitherway isn’t born yet, but he will be, believe me.

19. Josh Parker
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Galadrielle X,

Actually you’ll be watching a series called Hyperion’s Torch, based on the best-selling novels of J. Miles Parker, who IS born, and is also me.

20. Brian Talbott
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

[Spoilers]

21. Steve Reynolds
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

I’m hoping this is a sly joke – maybe we see Beric Dondarrion taken down.

22. Josh Parker
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Brian Talbott,

I’m really okay with it being Rast, although I had in mind that he might replace Lark the Sisterman or even Chett.

Seems like GRRM was really concerned about this character’s passing, seeing as he decided it was worth mentioning to David and Dan, so I doubt it’s gonna be Beric. It’s probably the Greatjon, Marillion or Rast.

23. Mavis
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Brian Talbott,

Dang Brian…you beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing. Someone ‘of note’ needs to get roughed up by Othor.

24. Steve Reynolds
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

I’d prefer to be watching an adaptation of Dan Simmon’s Hyperion

25. Joohnson
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

That was a great review. Funny how they just kept coming up with actors doing a great job.

Can’t wait for this.

26. dizzy_34
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Brian Talbott,

That’s a good guess. I could also go with Lady Mormont or Lord Karstark I hope it’s neither one of them though.

27. Josh Parker
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Steve Reynolds,

Ah, but you haven’t read Hyperion’s Torch yet! And you won’t for a while, seeing as how it’s not published and all.

28. Nick
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

It isn’t the GJ as he doesn’t die in any of the books.

29. Josh Parker
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Nick,

He dies at the Red Wedding. Beheaded.

30. Josh Parker
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

I really did try to put in spoiler tags. How does one do that?

31. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker:
    Nick,

He dies at the Red Wedding. Beheaded.

It’s his son or brother or whatever who dies there, GJ is imprisoned at the Twins.

32. Nick
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Nope.

33. tek
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

pretty easy click spoiler, and add your text between the ><

34. Gytha Ogg
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Looking at the WIC cast list, the characters in S1 who die (or purported to die) in S3 are:

Catelyn (doubt they’re bringing in Stoneheart early….)
    Robb
    Joffrey
    Tywin
    Gregor
    Shae
    Lysa
    Rickard Karstark
    Jeor Mormont
    Rast
    Beric? (Not sure when he first ‘died’, before aSoS or during?)
    I hope it’s Rickard, because he’s an idiot.

35. Franny Bee
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

TastesLikeTheSea,

It better not be Joff or Robb! Though if it were Joff, I’d laugh. Maybe Sansa tosses him off the parapets like I always thought she should’ve? Whoopsie!

36. mimi
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Steve Reynolds: Josh Parker, I’d prefer to be watching an adaptation of Dan Simmon’s Hyperion

Oh, Oh, OH!!! Wouldn’t that be so cool!!! Don’t think it would EVER EVER happen, though. Er, um….(tiptoes delicately)….would offend too many religions……ya know?!

37. tek
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Gytha Ogg,

doesnt Sandor die as well?

38. morbiczer
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

Neither the Greatjon nor Marillion die in book 3.

I guess its someone from the Night’s Watch.

39. Gytha Ogg
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Oooops, forgot Marillion. He’s not too important either.

I thought the Greatjon was still alive?

40. Gytha Ogg
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

tek,

Personally, I don’t believe he does ;) but yeah, we are meant to think he’s dead as of AFFC. The above are definite ‘on screen’ deaths though.

41. morbiczer
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Alexander Dubrovsky,

The Smalljon, Greatjon’s son is killed at the Red Wedding. The Greatjon is a prisoner of Walder Frey at the end of ASOS and during AFFC.

42. Knurk
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Going to throw in an odd guess: maybe Syrio? If he’s not Jaqen he won’t appear in book 4 and maybe George had planned that Syrio survived the fight but died of a heavy diarrhea-attack during aSoS’s timeline.

And for the love of god people, use spoilertags! It’s so freakin’ easy that if you don’t know how to use them, don’t write spoilers! Check the preview button if your spoilertags are used correctly.

43. Crannogman
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

GJ is captive at the Twins according to the Appendix of AFFC

44. tek
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

Gytha Ogg,

gotcha. I am like you, I dont believe it either, but I figured it could be a possibility that they cut him

45. Caedes
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

@WiC

What I’m eagerly waiting for is for YOUR review of the first six episodes!! :-)

46. John Engedal
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

I just uploaded this promo which I downloaded in itunes, Game Of Thrones “Epic” Trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ige0hdzZ_U Not sure if this is new or not, mostly the same scenes as we´ve seen before, but I think there might be one or two quick new shots! :)

47. Ben Watson
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

I thought it was funny that one reviewer was confused who and what exactly Theon was. He said it wasn’t very well explained until several eps in. I remember when I read GoT for the first time I was confused about what exactly Theon’s relationship to people was until toward the end of the novel or maybe even the second. heh

48. Adrian
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Karstark seems most likely

49. izakmo
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Gytha Ogg,

my guess is beric. they’ll probably recast zombie beric in season 3 anyhow. if it is him, it won’t effect the plot of the story at all, since i think he is technically killed for the first time when the mountain ambushes his party, we just don’t find out about it until book 3.

50. Tom Hilton
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

Is there a Syrio = Jaqen faction? Damn…I stop hanging out at Westeros.org for a few years, and miss all the good theorizing.

51. izakmo
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Tom Hilton,

it’s a silly theory.

52. Gytha Ogg
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Adrian,

Yes, could well be. :) That wouldn’t make much change from the story, and would give a nice dramatic hook to an episode (fight with GREGOR).

53. Nick
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Hoster Tully is my guess. He does sweet f all in the books anyway, and his death can really happen at any time.

54. greenie88
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

If you are familiar with medieval history and the concept of wards and ‘hostages’ for keeping unruly families/countries obedient, Theon’s situation is easy to pick up. Most Americans are going to have small learning curve. English history is at least full of stories of people being locked up in a tower at least.

55. GaR
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Wouldn’t it make sense for it to be Old Nan? She’s killed in the sack of Winterfell in the book, right? Though I misrecall whetehr that happened in book 2 or 3…

56. greenie88
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Nick,
    Hoster Tully is a good guess…but Hoster Tully isn’t even cast in S1 I thought. But since he does so little, why pay an actor–just have him decease off screen.

57. greenie88
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

GaR,

Books never spell out if she dies if I recall. I think she was with the survivors taken to the Dreadfort

58. Gytha Ogg
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Hoster hasn’t been cast in season 1, and isn’t Old Nan alive at the Dreadfort?

59. Mormegil
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

John Engedal: I just uploaded this promo which I downloaded in itunes, Game Of Thrones “Epic” Trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ige0hdzZ_U Not sure if this is new or not, mostly the same scenes as we´ve seen before, but I think there might be one or two quick new shots!

I don’t think we’ve seen Viserys getting crowned (or at least the few seconds before it anyway) before.

As to the unexpected Death, I’ll guess Rast or possibly Lord Karstark.

60. Nick
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Hoster doesn’t have to be cast. He can die off screen, like it being mentioned to Catelyn etc

61. izakmo
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Adrian,

I don’t think it can be Karstark. His betrayal and subsequent beheading are pretty important developments in Robb’s storyline, and will be critical if they want to maintain any screentime for Jaime.

62. Ed
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

In the meantime, you may want to check out Andrew Gavin’s review… There’s a link somewhere…

Caedes:
    @WiC

What I’m eagerly waiting for is for YOUR review of the first six episodes!!

63. The DarkStar
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Great to hear positive stuff about Lena Headey’s Cercie, and the direwolves!Also,finally a nod to NCW.

This is gonna be the greatest show of all time.

64. Knurk
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Ed,

I’m dying to read his review of episode 2!

Edit: BTW, can a moderator please spoilerize Josh Parkers comment, I know a LOT of commenters here aren’t through book 3 and his comment is quite unavoidable. I still have nightmares of my dad spoiling all the major deaths in book 3 for me…

65. Steven Swanson
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Nick,

I think you nailed it. And I hope you did, because his storyline does drag on endlessly, with the only scene of note being the “tansy” stuff.

Edit: okay, maybe not, if he isn’t even cast as a couple people have said.

Double edit: okay, maybe it can happen offscreen. I think that would actually be an improvement….

66. Thorrgal
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker

67. superdeluxe
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

The podcast was great. I loved the part where one of the reviewers stated that he could watch all 6 episodes right now again.

68. SergioCQH
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Thorrgal:
    Josh Parker

69. Thorrgal
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

SergioCQH: I feel bad for you. On the other hand, these fan websites will be rife with spoilers. Best avoid them altogether until you finish the books.

I’ve been following the website for a long time and never had a problem bfr :S People know how to use the spoiler tool. And the always warn about possible spoilerish content. I also avoid the articles that maybe dangerous, but WTF, this post is about podcast review of the first 6 episodes of season one!!

For the love of god, someone remove that comment :SS

70. izakmo
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Thorrgal,

if it makes you feel any better, his list wasn’t entirely accurate….

71. David Thomas
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

Does anyone know how to view spoilers on an iPad? I’ve read all the books so I’m not afraid of spoilers and this thread is very interesting but the damn black bars are killing me here!

72. Mirax
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

Thorrgal has a point. I understand not getting the spoiler tags to work, but there is no reason you didn’t at least type “SPOILER ALERT” or some such. : (

We should all try to be more aware since *hopefully for WiC* there will be a lot more newbie traffic once the show airs. : ) (Which I know has been mentioned before)

On topic — Loved hearing them talk about the show! I also love knowing that I’m not the only one who makes the most epic story sound less than amazing when I’m trying to describe what it is! lol It is so heartening to know that a non-reader only had next to no trouble keeping track of the characters and story lines. YAY!

73. The DarkStar
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

David Thomas,

copy and paste it in another app, like notes.

74. Knurk
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Mirax,

Indeed, and not just for a minor spoiler. This is the most blatantly posted spoiler I think I’ve ever read. I usually keep my pose on the intertubes, but shame shame shame on you Josh Parker…

75. Ed
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that Dark Star, I ran into that too.

The DarkStar:
    David Thomas,

copy and paste it in another app, like notes.

76. sareeta
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

These are the reviews I’ve been waiting for. I had a feeling Dan would like it since he’s a fan of the book, but I was really hoping Alan would like it since he’s kind of the outsider. I, too, do not consider myself a big scifi/fantasy fan, but I ended up loving the books after getting through the prologue. I’m looking forward to their weekly reviews and hopefully podcasts of the show.

I know it’s been said already, but I want to add my voice to the chorus: use the spoiler tags, people! This is beyond rude, listing characters who die later in the series.

I’m so glad Alan likes Arya, because she is one fantastic character. Glad Dany is well-liked too, at least by Dan, because I always loved the character and was excited when Emilia was cast to play her.

77. Chris
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

David Thomas,

Same here, Ipad doesn’t want us to read spoilers;)

78. MWads
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Ya, the spoiler was kinda a bummer. I just finished up through the Red Wedding and I thought that might be the end of the major doozies. I was kinda bummed to see a few of the other deaths that I hadn’t quite counted on, but of course, I know what I’m getting into when I come to this site and others like it.

79. sjwenings
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Thorrgal: Josh ParkerHow can u be so F$&·$/% STUPID as to make a list of characters who died on the 3rd book without using the spoiler tool?? Are u that RETARDED or u just being an ASS$%$& just for the sake of ruining the reading experience to other people??? I myself just started the 3rd book today and I’ll gladly see u at the bottom of that list, that how pisse I am atm

You’re just as stupid reading comments here, where its inevitable that someone will forget themselves and post some major spoilers.

80. Mike Chair
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

That was a very astute review. This is what I’ve been talking about! The positive reviews are coherent, organized and logical. The negative reviews are messy and whiny. Dan Feinberg and Alan Sepinwall identify potential problems with GoT and draw comparisons. Too many characters? No. It’s like The Wire. You’ve got to invest a little. Talky? So what? Tony Soprano talked a lot.

They’d watch it just for Maisie. Loved that. Me too.

The WSJ piece shows HBO has a new attitude about these things. They’re in. International revenue is up. HBO Go is up and running. DVD sales.

I’ve said it before and Julian said it today. There’s only one thing we’ve got to worry about:

Julian: What are we going to do AFTER Game of Thrones is finished airing? In 2017…

81. Sleeky
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Julian:

And no I am not trolling…just want personal opinions

I would submit for consideration the Honor Harrington series. True it’s not fantasy, but if approached in the same manner as a period piece, I think it could come together rather well.

82. Tom Hilton
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

izakmo,

That was my first thought. Also my second thought. Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t accepted wisdom, like who am I kidding? you know the theory I’m talking about.

Posted April 11, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Holy spoilers Batman!

I know it is too late for some people (and I sincerely apologize about that) but I just added spoiler tags to a bunch of comments. Not just Josh’s (although his were the most egregious) but probably 3 or 4 other comments as well.

We have to be really mindful of spoilers here, especially now that the series is so close to airing. There is no excuse now as there is not only a preview button, but you can edit or even delete your comment if you realized you missed the spoiler tag on something.

I will be making a post further defining our spoiler policy sometime this week. Until then, just err on the side of caution and tag anything remotely spoilerish.

84. Lordx Ned's Head
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Listening to the article, the thing that got me thinking was the mention of a relationship hinted at in the books made much more definite.Renly/Loras anyone?
    If they need to make some budget cuts, Hoster isn’t the place I’d go. Its too easy to just extracute(come on! Its a catchy term!) him into a catatonic old man that others act around. Hoster doesn’t do much (unless my Tansy theory is real and then his lines are somewhat important), but alot happens around him. It would be easy to cut him, but it would also be very inexpesive to keep him in.

They’d better not touch Gregor. That would be a” jump the shark” moment for me.

As to the character who dies early, what about Balon Greyjoy? He’s not in the series as far as we know, but perhaps Theon could get word he dies early? Maybe Aeron takes over or something and Theon gets a better reason to get back to the Iron isle (it never seemed likely that the Greyjoys would help Robb to me when I read the books). Aeron can do most of the Balon stuff and they save money on an actor. Maybe Robb sends him back to make his claim? It would cut out a semi-major character without losing much (two worms instead of three)

Other than that, I’d go with Beric. As discussed a few threads earlier, I’m afraid there will be alot of cutting with the BWoB crew. I hope not, but Thoros could basically serve all the functions Beric does later on.Flaming sword for teh Hound fight check! Breath of Life for Cat. Check!

85. Tysnow
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

WiC, you might consider creating non-spoiler threads, like forums normally do. Have this topic and a spoiler link and non-spoiler link at bottom, then we can post on one or the other, depending on subject matter. With the series starting in six days, tthis site is responsible for not spoiling stuff, including posters.

86. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

BTW, Its not likely, butyou may as well add Greywind to the list of potentials

87. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Tysnow,

I seem to be experiencing a proble with the spoiler button. After I post it goes away. If this is happening to anyone else and you want to use a spoiler, backing out to the main page seems to fix the problem for me.
    Ah sorry that was meant to be addressed to WiC not you Ty.

88. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Oh yeah! Had a thought this morning. GRRM mentioned doing lunch with his old buddy Ron Pearlman out in LA this past weekend. It sounded social, but could anyone else see him as Quorin? That could be a cool get!

89. Josh Parker
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Okay, to all the people who are pissed at me, I apologize, but in my defense, I was typing at work where apparently the spoiler button doesn’t work. When I saw my initial post I was appalled and thought I did something wrong. I tried to edit it, but the spoiler button didn’t even show up.

The second time I knew I hadn’t done anything wrong but it still didn’t work. After that I just decided to quit posting until I got home.

My apologies to everyone I offended, and now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to apply a shard of glass to my throat.

90. the goat
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Lord Ned’s Head:

Yes, please.

91. Zack
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Brian Talbott: It seems obvious that it’s Rast. He really doesn’t have any role to play in book 2, and in book 3 he just gets impaled on a wildling spear. I think he probably gets offed by a reanimated Wight.

Yeah. The other characters are all pretty notable, and GRRM says he had to remind D&D of their inaccuracy…I only read the books once and I wasn’t certain when Rast died, but I knew for certain for every other character mentioned here. So people who know the novels far better than I do would know as well. It’s going to be a character where the death changes nothing in the overall arc…Rast fits that bill.

92. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

Dragonglass cuts best. Oh and if you jam it in hard enough a shard or two might break off. Kidding! Totally kidding =)

93. Josh Parker
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

Lord Ned’s Head,

Yeah, well I’m not kidding. At least, not much. I’m having a crappy life right now and coming here was a place of solace for me where I could forget about my shit life and just geek out for a while.

Then I come here and see this:

Thorrgal:
    Josh Parker

Think I’m done posting for a while.

94. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Zack,

hehe I’m not saying you are guilty of this Brian, but its kind of yucky when some folks have seen the first few (or 6) episodes and others haven’t. Makes me wonder what is speculation and what is fact disguised as speculation.
    Again, I don’t suppose you know anymore than I do Brian. I’m just stating the potential for abuse like that exists untill we all catch up!

95. Mike Chair
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

Lord Ned’s Head: Ron Pearlman … could anyone else see him as Quorin?

Ron Perlman? As in “The Beast.” There’s a GoT face if there ever was one. http://www.daemonsmovies.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/season-of-witch-movie-photo-06.jpg

Quorin? Okay. Perhaps a larger role, even. Hey, he’s in Conan with Jason Momoa. Guess who else is in Conan? Rose McGowan. Hmm. There’s a devil in a red dress if there ever was one… http://www.wallpaperhub.net/pictures/Rose-McGowan/Rose-McGowan-11.JPG …and we know who always wears red.

96. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

Its okay bud. Sometimes people are a little careless or overzealous and make mistakes. Of course we should all try not to, but as far as I’m concerned you were just trying to add to the conversation and got a little carried away.

Having plotlines ruined for you does suck. But I’d encourage everyone to let WiC handle spoiler offenses without denegrating into flames. Also, you could always do what I recommend and stay away from thre boards until you finish reading. Everyone’s alwayswelcome here of course, I just try to take all precautions not to have something I’m interested in ruined my something I can’t control. My advice, go read the books (it really doesn’t take all that long), take a few minutes to digest the awesomeness of GRRM’s world, then come on back into the conversation with a more knowledgible grasp on what happens AND the inability to let other people potentially dampen a great experience.
    Everyone can do as he likes. It’s just my best advice to prevent your read from getting spoiled.

97. Mike Chair
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

Please put down the dragonglass!
    Apology accepted. The comment you cited was not typical to this site.
    Thank you.

98. dizzy_34
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

I wouldn’t sweat it man, just live and learn.

99. Josh Parker
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I guess I got a little carried away. I’m sure most of you would prefer I not go into detail about my problems right now. Let’s just say if HBO adapted my life it would be more depressing than Six Feet Under (though perhaps with as much dark humor since you aren’t the ones living it).

I do feel bad for the spoiler tags not working. I’ve used them before, and usually try not to post spoilers at all, but this one was just too good to resist.

As for the inaccuracy of my list, I do recall someone being beheaded at the Red Wedding, and my memory told me it was the Greatjon. For that matter, I guess I figured Marillion’s death was implied, since the last we ever see of him is his being carted away to the sky cells after Littlefinger frames him. I always assumed he jumped.

I’d be very surprised if it were Cat, Rob or Joffrey who die this season.

100. GaR
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Perlman as Halfhand? Yeah, I can dig it.

But how awesome would he be as Tormund Giantsbane?

HAR

101. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

I think Marillion dies in AFFC. At least he’s supposedly does. It happens offscreen right?

From the podcast does anyone else suspect we’ll get some Loras/Renly love in season 1?

102. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

GaR,

Oh man that is sexay!

103. pualo
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

David Thomas:
    Does anyone know how to view spoilers on an iPad?

If you have a little technical ability, you can make a JavaScript bookmarklet to get rid of the spoiler tags. I posted instructions here once, but everyone said it was too complicated.

The code I use is this. Short instructions are, make a bookmark linking to this text, then click it when necessary.

bookmarklet

javascript:styles=’b%20{color:%20white%20!important}’;%20newSS%20=%20document.createElement(‘link’);%20newSS.rel%20=%20′stylesheet’;%20newSS.href%20=%20′data:text/css,’%20+%20escape(styles);%20document.documentElement.childNodes[0].appendChild(newSS);%20void%200

Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

Hey dude, I feel your pain. Life can be rough, and a big part of the reason I’m here too is because it brightens my often shitty days. :)

105. Zack
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

Lord Ned’s Head: Again, my two likeliest subjects would be Beric or Balon,though Rast is a possibility too if he is even major enough for GRRM to care enough to make a note

Balon dying in the first season would unnecessarily muck up Mel’s blood magic in ASoS. There’s no way David & Dan overlooked that.

edit: Okay, why, when I quote someone, do the tags for marking spoilers disappear and I have to manually add them?

Screwy.

106. Josh Parker
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Lord Ned’s Head,

Don’t know about season one, but I can see them making us privy to the prayer session in season two.

Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

For future reference, you don’t even need the spoiler button. You can put spoiler tags simply by typing (b) before the text, and (/b) after the text (but with the triangular brackets, not the round ones).

108. Zack
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Hm. I’ll be damned. That’ll show me for thinking I know what I’m doing.

109. Josh Parker
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

Yeah, but I had forgotten the tag was a simple “b” and tried adding a tag myself by typing “spoiler” and “/spoiler” like at imdb.com. For the record, I’m called TheyChinaFood there, and I applied the spoiler tag like mad on a post I did about how to do the third season.

110. Mike Chair
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

GaR: Perlman as Halfhand? Yeah, I can dig it.

But how awesome would he be as Tormund Giantsbane?

Oh yes. He’s in at least 4 chapters in ASoS. D&D can do more with him. And … Tormund lives.

111. Josh Parker
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Vladimir Kulich is my Qhorin (it’s like he stepped out of the books) and Brian Blessed (now that he won’t be the Old Bear) is my Tormund.

I could see Perlman as Qhorin, maybe, but not as Tormund. Tormund’s gotta have a big voice.

112. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Zack,

Probably right, but much of Balon’s character can just be amalgamed into Aeron. Although you would lose the cool death scene on the bridge.

113. Christian
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Alan Sepinwall is the TV writer I rely on when considering which shows to watch, so I was thrilled to hear his effusive praise of the show. I loved that he was close to putting into the HBO pantheon along with The Wire, Deadwood, and The Sopranos. However, I am still concerned that non-readers may struggle with the first few episodes which from everything I have read will be heavy on exposition (unavoidable). I guess I need to have faith that the HBO audience is sophisticated enough to handle it…fingers crossed.

114. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Still like Perlman as Quorin, but man the Tormund idea still has me smiling. Ron’s voice is plenty deep enough to me and and if they deem it neccessary they could always amplfy it in post-production.
    If you wanted to go a different direction, he might even make an interesting Craster.

115. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Christian,

Exposition may be unavoidable, but from what I can see from the first 15 minutes, they also do a fair amount of exposition sans dialogue (ie they establish the Stark family with alot of looks and actions as opposed to true dialogue). The cast seems very adept at saying “you are my wife and I care about you alot.” for example, with a thoughtful stare between Ned and Cat. Certain things will be unavoidable without expensive flashbacks or other devices, but the more thy can establish who is who and what is what through actions, the better the show will be.

Here’s kind of a goofy thought. What about a feature either on the HBO website or On Demand that kind of mimics the Appendix in the books? I know the information is out there on the web, but it might be nice to have it centralized for people new to the story.

116. Christian
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

BTW…I just noticed the countdown clock for the first time in awhile. FIVE DAYS. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT. I remember reading the Variety article that announced the acquisition back in January of 2007. This is a long time coming friends.

Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Wow, that podcast was awesome! I had the biggest smile on my face when they said “Maisie Williams is amazing, I could watch a whole series about her character.” I hope she hears this review.

118. GaR
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Lord Ned’s Head,

He would be a spectacular Craster. Craster’s a total dick, but a great character.

119. David Thomas
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

Don’t stop posting on account of some overzealous asshole who isn’t responsible himself for what he reads. Takes two to tango, but this guy just wants to tangle. Is easy to forget that there are real people on the other end of these user names.

It also hasn’t been fun watching so many people make sport of that poor guy who kept hyping his review. So what–he overdid it. Avert your eyes. Shake your head and move on. Yet quite a few people are piling on him like dorks who finally met a crippled kid and are thrilled to finally have someone they can pick on. It’s pretty sad.

120. Christian
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Lord Ned’s Head,

The sheer mechanics of introducing so many characters in a meaningful way is a challenge. It sounds like they nailed it, but I am still nervous about non fantasy types adjusting to the language, names, archetypes that we probably take for granted.

121. Theano
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Can’t see Ron Perlman as the Halfhand. But I can utterly, totally, and completely see him as Tormund. I’ve never had a good mental image of Tormund (I’m someone who does mental casting a lot), but I think Perlman just became my Tormund. He would be amazing.

(My inner casting, btw, always had Viggo Mortensen as the Halfhand, because it doesn’t half to pay imaginary actors!)

Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

I still like Brad Dourif as Craster.

123. GaR
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Theano,

Yeah, I’m not one to cast characters usually, but to me Tormund has always been Perlman.

It took me quite a while to disassociate Quorin and Thomas Covenant in my head though. That made for some interesting reading…

124. David Gilroy
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

well im gonna thrown my hat into the ring for Perlman as Quorin. Hadn’t given it much thought before but the more i think about it the more i reckon it = win!

125. Zack
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Lex:
    I still like Brad Dourif as Craster.

I don’t know if they would, since he’s not from the UK (I think…), but it would still be a fantastic piece of casting. Dourif never disappoints!

126. fafhrd
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Zack: I don’t know if they would, since he’s not from the UK, but it would still be a fantastic piece of casting. Dourif never disappoints!

If they don’t then perhaps it would be better that they die in the innards of a worm.

127. stevelabny
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Tonight on Chuck, Chuck was reading Game of Thrones and said “Eddard, you don’t let your kids keep direwolves, that’s a terrible idea.”

What kind of geek is Chuck that he hasn’t read the book yet?

128. Arrogant Bastard
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Since season 2 casting has been mentioned, what do you all think of Ciaran Hinds for Roose Bolton? He played Julius Caesar in Rome, and I think he can bring out that quiet menace of Bolton.

Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

Arrogant Bastard,

Ciaran Hinds in any role would be awesome.

130. Josh Parker
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Arrogant Bastard,

Ciaran Hinds might be too big a name for a role that small, but I think he could do it.

I’ve had I don’t know how many names lined up for Bolton. Peter Wingfield, Ewan Stewart, most recently Wayne Pygram. I just don’t know who should play that part.

131. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Arrogant Bastard,

Ciaran Hinds has the wrong lookfor Roose imo. I picture Roose looking like a reject from the Haunted Mansion at Disneylong. Hey.. he might be a little old, but speaking of Haunted Mansion Terrance Stamp would be cool.

Speaking of the Rome cast, I just want to reiterate my desire to get David Bamber (Pompei) involved with this project in any way possible. The guy is a veritable chameleon. Would have loved him for Varys, but I’ll take him in any role short of Mire Reed.

Kevin McKidd (my other Rome alum choice) took a big hit in my book last week when he sang in the Grey’s Anatomy musical episode. You can’t possible agree to do that without turning in your man card first. Sorry.

132. Zack
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

I’m hoping for Rufus Sewell as Bolton. I think he’s a realistic get, and his eyes are perfect for Bolton…

133. Arrogant Bastard
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

Yeah, I thought the main issue would be Roose’s comparatively minor role in teh series up to that point. I’d really like to see Sean Harris in the series, he was by far the best part of Harry Brown as the creepy drug dealer. Maybe as either Ramsay Snow or Vargo Hoat, if they survive the character cuts.He was also great in the Red Riding trilogy, which had Nina Gold as the casting director. Although I believe he’s currently in The Borgias.

134. Josh Parker
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Arrogant Bastard,

He is, and he’d be great as any of the characters you suggested.

Frankly, I haven’t seen a suggestion yet, my own included, that would actually work for Bolton. I’m kinda frustrated about that. I had hoped he’d be cast this season.

135. JRQ
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

Put me in the Rufus Sewell camp for Bolton.

136. David Gilroy
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Tim Roth = Bolton IMHO

137. Josh Parker
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

David Gilroy,

Too famous, and has his own show.

138. David Thomas
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

For Bolton, I’m in the camp of that guy from the Full Monty (with Mark Addy I believe) who was also in Stargate: Universe. Also good for Bolton, in an entirely different vein, would be that guy in Red Eye…the guy who played that evil psychiatrist/scarecrow guy in one of the Batman movies.

139. David Gilroy
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

Too famous? I dunno. He’s never really be a headliner. Hes been in some big pictures as a supporting actor. Bit like Sean Bean.
    As for Lie To Me….it might be that it would conflict. Not sure what its filming schedules like but i would have thought that being on a network TV program and having that opportunity to place a role like Roose Bolton on a fairly prestigious HBO production would be a good move.
    Really depends on if its the sort of thing that would interest him i guess. He definitely has the face, eyes and stature and presence for Bolton. downright creepy.

140. David Gilroy
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

David Thomas,

Cillian Murphy. might be a good choice but i reckon hes a little young for The Lord of the Dreadfort. not sure how old Boltons Bastards meant to be in aSoS but maybe Cillian might be better in that role. Robert Carlyle could be a good option.

141. DH87
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

It’s too bad the WSJ review is going to pull down the Metacritics average so significantly (a 40) once the requisite four major reviews are posted. Otherwise, we’d be seeing a season-topping rating, for both broad-casting and cable.

142. Amir Mishali
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Anyone else seen this? According to Westeros, we should expect some character that doesn’t die in the books until ASOS to die on the first season. Who do you think could it be?

143. the goat
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 12:04 am | Permalink

It’ll never happen, obviously, but Gary Oldman would kill it as Bolton. “I am not in the habit of being questioned by servants, Nan. Must I have your tongue out?”

Lord Ned’s Head,

Once HBO gets done with the Viewer’s Guide and releases it, it will have family trees, character bios, etc. I just hope they mention it during the show so people unfamiliar with the books will know about it.

144. Reggie
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 12:05 am | Permalink

arggg. my hysterical posts are getting deleted… why bother?? have fun being terribly boring!

145. David Gilroy
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 12:06 am | Permalink

Reggie:
    Tim Roth is too famous. And he is way too cool to be in GoT. You must admit it.

yeah look maybe he is (hes definately one cool cat). i would hope that critically well received and popular shows with a certain amount of prestige on HBO and other premium cable networks would continue to attract big name actors (not necessarily A Listers) as they seem to be doing these days – that said however Bolton is a secondary character and actors of that calibre might only be attracted to a series like this if its a really major role so your probably right.

Posted April 12, 2011 at 12:09 am | Permalink

Reggie, look Davey/Whiney/Reggie/WhateverYouWantToCallYourself, I don’t mind if you want to come on here every once in a while and make silly posts parodying many of the comments here. But please try to refrain from spamming threads with multiple comments under multiple aliases, especially when you are just replying to yourself back and forth. It gets annoying.

/mod

147. the goat
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 12:09 am | Permalink

I just saw a nice long trailer on a local LA station during the Dodger game. It was pretty much a mash-up of stuff we’ve already seen, but had a few lines I don’t remember hearing before:

Catelyn: Seize him! (from Inn of the Crossing)
    Robert: I can’t rule with Starks and Lannisters at each others throats!
    Ned: I want no bloodshed! (likely from the betrayal scene)

148. Steve the Pirate
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 12:14 am | Permalink

Lord Ned’s Head,

David Bamber played Cicero, not Pompey. But yeah he’s awesome. I’d love him in any part at all on the show.

149. Larry D Curtis
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 12:21 am | Permalink

Julian: I’ve gotta a question? What are we going to do AFTER Game of Thrones is finished airing?

I am going to be busy WHILE it is airing. Hobbit part 1 & 2 for two years will be fun and 2012 looks to be one of the biggest blockbuster film years in history if not THE biggest.

Between now and 2017 I guess I will write a book for fans to love!

150. Tre Svatek
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 12:48 am | Permalink

Apparently GRRM said that the character in question of dying in season 1 is a male. so I would automatically say that rules out Lysa, Shae and Greywind :P

As for who it can/cannot be I really don’t think it will be Robb, Tywin, Joffery, just makes no sense, and would throw a huge wrench into the series for no reason.

As for who I think it will be, Beric. People keep mentioning about how he doesnt have to be around to make the BWB work, yadda yadda yadda, but the thing is, when Beric dies, he comes back. So killing him off earlier, wouldn’t necessarily change anything. He would be reanimated sooner, but that doesn’t mean he would have to be written out of the rest of the show.

As for Rast and Hoster, I don’t really see either of them as vital to the show. Hoster, while not cast this season, could easily die offscreen, and I don’t really see any of the dynamics that would change. In fact, it could be a good reason for the Blackfish to come into the story, as if Hoster were alive, why in the hell would the rebelious brother be hanging around Riverrun.

151. Caedes
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 1:13 am | Permalink

Josh Parker:

I’ve said before that for me, Zeljko Ivanek is spot on for Bolton. And he also is an HBO veteran, and a great, affordable actor.

152. Chris77
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 1:39 am | Permalink

Arrogant Bastard: Zack,

If we get Ian McShane as Aeron, then Ciaran would be a great Balon, since the two could be brothers in real life.

153. Chris77
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 1:50 am | Permalink

David Thomas,

The guy from Full Monty aka Robert Carlyle would probably be to expensive and due to his rather dark pupils I would see another eyegate coming…

I am all for Rufus Sewell and could well imagine Cillian Murphy (scarecrow from Batman) as the Bastard of Bolton, Nick Stahl aka the Yellow Bastard from Sin City would also work for me as Reek.

154. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 2:00 am | Permalink

In honor of Chuck’s comment tonight, I felt insipired. I wanted to record it, but I cant make the webcam on this computer work and my other one is in the shop. Probably a good thing since I can’t sing a lick. Spoilers within so be careful. Now, without further ado, set to Waylan and Willie’s classic, I present “Eddard! Don’t let your kids keep direwolves”

Direwolves ain’t easy to love and they’re harder to hold.
    They’ll get big as a pony with fangs that are stony and cold.
    Huge claws to their knuckles and thick mangy coats and each night how they howl and they bay!
    You say,”They’re our sigil!”, but you’d best keep vigil.
    You Starks better just ride away!

Eddard! You don’t let your kids keep direwolves!
    Don’t let them pick names for those cute, fuzzy pups.
    They’re vicious wild creatures not tame little ducks!
    Eddard! You don’t let your kids keep direwolves!
    If you try to train’em, you hardly can blame ‘em
    If they ravage someone you love!

Spoiler Alert (These two words are actually in the song lol)

Direwolves might rip out the throats of unlucky assassins.
    They might disembowel wildlings if you manage to get in a fight.
    But ask Maester Lewin, how his hand is doin’, if his mangled fingers are achin’.
    And if you domesticate ‘em, you’ll just decapitate ‘em
    When Prince Joffrey’s sword arm is given a bite!

Eddard! You don’t let your kids keep direwolves!
    Don’t let them pick names for those cute, fuzzy pups.
    They’re vicious wild creatures not tame little ducks!
    Eddard! You don’t let your kids keep direwolves!
    If you try to train’em, you hardly can blame ‘em
    If they ravage someone you love!

rofl silly I know, but I had a hell of alot of fun making it up. Hope ya like it!

155. morbiczer
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 2:08 am | Permalink

Tre Svatek,

Actually Beric dies already in book one. He dies right at the first attack against the group Eddard sent out, but is then resurrected by Thoros.

156. Amir Mishali
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 2:22 am | Permalink

Here’s a list of all male characters to appear on s1 that die on ASOS:

Tywin Lannister
    Jeor Mormont
    Rast
    Joffrey
    Robb
    Beric Dondarrion

We know it’s a second, or even third tier character so we can strike out Robb and Joffrey, I think. We’re left with Tywin, Jeor, Rast and Beric. I really don’t see any sense in killing off Tywin this early. Beric is hardly mentioned, and I can’t believe they would actually show his quest to apprehend Gregor. So, unless he’s killed off screen, it ain’t him either. Since Hoster Tully is not shown in s1, he can also be killed only off-screen. My guess is they would add some action to late-season nightwatch storyline, and kill off Rast.

Posted April 12, 2011 at 2:22 am | Permalink

OT: Our own Elyes Gabel (“Rakharo”) starred in this week’s episode of The Borgias. He was pretty good, too. Strangely, his imdb page doesn’t list the Borgias OR Game of Thrones at all!

158. Kelly Bray
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 2:27 am | Permalink

GaR,

I think you may be right. The actress who played Old Nan has passed away.

159. Jordan Healey
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 2:43 am | Permalink

Hopefully it is Rast, which is fine.

I thought they were going to merge him with Chett, but they may just eliminate that part of the story, or just use an extra.

160. The_Rabbit01
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 2:50 am | Permalink

GRRM said it was a MAN!My money is on Richard Kastark, SmallJohn Lord Beric or Rast.
    Hoster Tully is possibility, too.

Balon – I am not 100% ceratin but we hear about his death during the Storm, but did he die during the Clash?

Tywin, Robb and Old Bear are too vital to kill them off in the first season, IMO.

161. breastplate nipples
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 2:52 am | Permalink

Lord Ned’s Head,

hahaha love it!

162. Klara Kanske
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 3:13 am | Permalink

I think its quite nice, how the community is speculating who will die earlier then in the books – so there are still some (hopefully nice : ) surprises and guessing, even for the readers of the books

just 5 more days \o/

163. KG
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 4:15 am | Permalink

How about Julian Sands as creepy ol’ Roose?

164. fr0d0b0ls0n
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 4:33 am | Permalink

@Amir Mishali

That spoiler tag is not enough.

165. morbiczer
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 4:35 am | Permalink

fr0d0b0ls0n,

Yeah, it is funny how makes an effort to hide the names, and then writes all of them doen in plain text.

166. Liesie
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 4:44 am | Permalink

Amir Mishali,

here we go again :p Spoiler tags please!

167. Ingemar Svensson
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 5:08 am | Permalink

morbiczer,

Hey morbiczer, is that you David, from the CCG?

168. morbiczer
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 5:37 am | Permalink

Ingemar Svensson,

Yeah, it’s me! It’s a small world after all.

169. Amir Mishali
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 6:08 am | Permalink

fr0d0b0ls0n,
    morbiczer,
    Liesie,

huh? are you kidding me? what did i do wrong? my whole post is with spoiler tags except from the first line that reveals nothing… unless this is some kind of stupid joke…

170. Blackfish Blues
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 6:22 am | Permalink

Actors mentioned here that I’d love to see in GOT (not that I don’t like the others, I just don’t know them):

- Ron Perlman: Craster is a great suggestion. Cool that he’s friends with GRRM.
    - Ciaran Hinds: not really how I see the Blackfish, but the age and the general look fit.
    - David Bamber: loved him as Cicero, recently saw him in “The King’s Speech”, he has a tiny but odious role. I can see him as an ambiguous goodish guy. Some minor lord?
    - Rufus Sewell, yes please, I’d see him as anything, even Tywin’s privy.
    - Julian Sands is my perfect Ser Arthur Dayne, if flashbacks are in. But he also could be some other charismatic character.

Tre Svatek:

Moved a bit your spoiler tags to let the Blackfish stand out. :D

Yes, I see your point, though the reconciliation scene between the brothers and Brynden’s grief are rather moving stuff. However, as an aside, IF the Blackfish is going to be important in future books (it’s a big IF and I think we’ll learn the answer soon), I’ve always thought that his chats with Hoster were deliberately kept behind the scenes by GRRM because they could reveal the reason why he never married, which could be important later. Or could not, it’s no big deal for the character, it even adds mystery. What interests me right now is whether his escape from Riverrun in AFFC is going to be meaningful later, because in my view that’s the catch that makes or breaks his presence in the series.

Male character who dies in S1 when he should die later (I sincerely don’t remember whether these guys die in S3 or not):

- Hoster Tully, adds to Cat’s messed-up life.
    - Rickard Karstark, adds to Robb’s growing responsibilities.
    - Old Bear, to make Jon even more emo.
    - Beric Dondarrion is ALWAYS a good candidate for dying.

Someone mentioned Lady Mormont, but she’s not been cast yet, also she’s female (supposedly) :D

171. Ramah
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 6:55 am | Permalink

OT but going along with many of the posts discussing castings for S2… assuming he hasn’t already made an appearance in S1 I was thinking about Dolorous Edd. For some reason I had Daniel Mays in mind..
    .. although maybe I already read it suggested on here or something. Not sure where it came from in my head.
    But as I have been re-reading the books as soon as his character appeared I just could not get Karl Pilkington out of my mind. He sounds exactly like Pilkington to me. I know he’s supposed to have grey hair but… casting Karl in that part would be a piece of stunt casting I could totally get on board with. :) Opinions?

172. Mormegil
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 7:09 am | Permalink

Amir Mishali,

The List of names is spoilered out but the paragraph where they are all mentioned again is not.

Still think Rast is the most likely candidate.

We need to see someone we know killed off during the Wight attack, in the book a named character does die (plus a few unnamed) but that named character isn’t in the show so Rast is used instead.

173. Liesie
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 7:12 am | Permalink

Amir Mishali,

174. Mormegil
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 7:23 am | Permalink

I see a lot of people are unsure about when Marillion dies. The truth is he’s probably not dead. There are clues to suggest that Littlefinger is keeping him alive for some reason.

Liesie: Amir Mishali, Hmm weird, right now all the spoiler tags seem to be there, but about an hour ago only half of your post had them…

The paragraph still shows in the clear for me.

175. Liesie
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 7:25 am | Permalink

Mormegil: The paragraph still shows in the clear for me.

How is that possible? Seems like we have a mystery on our hands

176. morbiczer
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 7:25 am | Permalink

Liesie,

Even weirder, when I look at his post, it is still only the first list of names that is blacked out, the rest is plain text.

177. Amir Mishali
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 7:26 am | Permalink

Mormegil,

Not my fault. The whole paragraph is spoiler-tagged.

178. Mormegil
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Amir Mishali: Mormegil, Not my fault. The whole paragraph is spoiler-tagged.

It’s a problem with I.E

When there is a paragraph break in the middle of a spoiler it looks like I.E ends the spoiler tag.

To be on the safe side it’s probably best to spoiler each paragraph individually which should solve the problem.

179. Liesie
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 7:40 am | Permalink

This is really behind my comprehension :s

180. Tre Svatek
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 7:42 am | Permalink

morbiczer,

Just finished my reread of AGOT (literally, just finished last chapter 15 minutes ago :P ) and Beric is not named dead in the book. He is mentioned as being around and as being a pain the rear, but not dead.

I really think it would be him as offing him earlier wouldn’t really change anything story wise (seeing as how last time we see him is riding out to meet Gregor, and then we see him 2 books later dead) so if he died “earlier” it wouldn’t really change anything at all.

Thats the thing too, no where does GRRM mention that the cut was done to eliminate plot lines in season 3. It is simplt stated that he noted to D&D that they had gotten a death wrong, and they noted it, but didn’t change it. Something like that makes it seem to me that A) the timing of the death really doesn’t matter nor is it memorable (offscreen/heard about not read?) and B) the death means something later in the books, but not the manner in which, or when, it happened (aka anyone else but Beric’s death is kind of final, and has no lasting implications, at least as far as the people we are seriously speculating as being the ones who had their death “timing” changed.)

181. Nick Larter
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 7:46 am | Permalink

Josh Parker:

Nooooo that would be awful – we can’t lose the awesome quarrel on the dunny scene!

182. OKENO
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 7:50 am | Permalink

John Engedal:

Thanks for the upload! I hadn’t seen that one yet. It was worth watching just for a glimpse of Viserys getting his Crown.

In fact, I’m super pumped to see just that split second, as I was really worried they’d change the scene somehow. But it looks like it will happen as in the books, with two Dothraki holding his arms while he screams in pain. So badass. Can not wait to see this scene… and see the reaction it gets from my friends who haven’t read the books!

183. Nick Larter
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Theano:
    Can’t see Ron Perlman as the Halfhand.But I can utterly, totally, and completely see him as Tormund.I’ve never had a good mental image of Tormund (I’m someone who does mental casting a lot), but I think Perlman just became my Tormund.He would be amazing.

I always visualised Qhorin as being wirier in build than Ron Perlman – I’d cast him as Rattleshirt.

184. morbiczer
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 8:38 am | Permalink

Tre Svatek,

About what you wrote.

Beric dies first during AGOT (off-screen) when his men are ambushed by the Lannisters. He is accidentaly resurrected by Thoros. This story is told by Thoros either in book 3 or 4, can’t remember (prob a Brienne chapter in book 4). So yes, he is not named dead in book 1, but we know that he actually died. He later on dies repeatedly, but is again and again brought back to life by Thoros. The only death and resurrection on-screen are in ASOS during when he duels Sandor. It seems that at the end of book 3 he died finally, when Thoros refused to resurrect Catelyn, and Beric did it himself.)

185. Nick
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Just wanted to point this out:

I don’t know how accurate these graphs are, but I read that as saying GoT is more popular at the moment, before it has even aired, than Boardwalk Empire was when it aired it’s first episode, and during most of it’s season run. Surely this indicates good numbers for GoT, especially since it is getting the HBO free weekend thing like BE did.

186. Josh Parker
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 8:49 am | Permalink

KG,

WIN!

Win, win, win!

I did like the idea of Zeljko Ivanek, but he’s an American, and has never done a British accent before (unlike Peter Dinklage) so I wasn’t sure he could do it. But Sands? That’s the man, right there! Sign him right now!

187. Josh Parker
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Personally I think the only role Perlman has been mentioned for that I think he would really work as would be Craster. He’s just too ugly for Qhorin, and I don’t think he has the presense to play Tormund. I still call on Brian Blessed for that part.

188. OhDanyBoy
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 8:55 am | Permalink

Seems pretty obvious to me that it is Rast.

D+D have said over and over that they are trying to stay close to the books, and most of the names thrown out are too major for that.

The only two that seem even remotely plausible to me are Baric and Rast. However, to show Beric’s death, they would need to shoot a battle scene – which is costly budget wise. Plus, it adds almost nothing to the show. Guy dies… and that’s it.

With Rast, they play up the Jon vs Rast angle, make him a more major character, then kill him off in the Wight attack for more impact. There’s nothing he does in later books that can’t be done by a nameless brother with the same impact.

189. Tysnow
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Don’t know if this has been posted, but I found this first part of an apparent 5 part review by Alyssa Rosenberg of “The Atlantic” that will be posted over the course of the entire week. This was posted yesterday afternoon, so I guess this afternoon will see the release of part two. It is very positive so far, but whether it remains so over the course of each portion, its anyones guess.
    The Atlantic Review Pt One

190. Anvil
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Josh Parker:
    KG,

WIN!

Win, win, win!

Zeljko Ivanek:

The Slovenian-born actor graduated from the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art in 1980.

So that should’nt be a problem and apart from that, Zeljko is Roose Bolton, if there will be a Bolton in the show. It is known.

191. Josh Parker
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Okay, I’m gonna say it’s Rast as well. Should a character be needed in season three to fill the antagonist Black Brother role, that could just as easily to to Chett or Lark the Sisterman. In fact, I’m gonna call it right now and say that the ranging will include Pyp instead of Giant, and will play up either Chett or Lark (or both) as the main antagonist(s), so the planned betrayel at the start of Season Three will make more sense.

192. Ed
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 9:55 am | Permalink

I just know that if they Off Three-Finger-Hobb, I aint watchin no more!

193. Jeremy Herman
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 10:05 am | Permalink

I agree that Perlman would be a good Craster. I also like the idea of Sewell as Bolton – he has a great glare and would be able to pull off Bolton’s intimidating whisper.

194. Quiet Wolf
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Josh Parker,

No he doesnt! that one was greywind :)

195. Mag the Mighty
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Another new review on Slice of SciFi – another perfect score. :)

196. Ed
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Ron Perlman would be awesome as Tormund or Craster… But yeah, I agree, probably too big to be Quorin, who should be wirey.

197. MUGger
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 10:53 am | Permalink

I will jump in on the Bolton casting discussion — when I re-read the books, the face that popped into my head was Michael Emerson (Ben on “Lost”).

Also — a spoiler free note on deaths in the series — do not count anyone as dead unless you see the death. And, with some characters, even that isn’t enough …

198. MetalgoddessAMB
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 10:58 am | Permalink

I like the Brad Dourif as Craster suggestion…he fits more to the way I pictured Craster. Anyway, why all this speculation about Ron Perlman? Have you all forgotten he’s already playing a major character on a Cable television series-on a show that is probably not going to be canceled anytime soon? SOA is one of FX’s biggest shows.

199. Hyrion
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Hey Ingemar and David,

here is Daniel (Hyrion) from Munich. Westeros is small. ;-)

200. Luke-WarmHands
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Maybe I’m just reading into things too much, but I think that Craster is one of the most likely things to be cut from season 2. Most of the events that happen there could occur elsewhere north of the wall. I love the scenes with him as it adds more mystery to the Others and his “sons”. However, when cuts are made I think Craster will be left on the floor…:(

201. Za
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Luke-WarmHands,

There is indeed a kind of Tom Bombadil aspect in Craster character ;)

202. mummer
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Lord Ned’s Head,
    BEAUTIFUL!

If I had to nitpick one thing (which I would never, ever do, except this board requires it), it would be that the first line of the chorus doesn’t really scan– I know you quoted that line from Chuck’s comment, but still, it’s short a few syllables if you’re sticking with the melody. Maybe: “Eddard! Don’t let the Winterfell children raise direwolves”?

203. Caedes
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Luke-WarmHands,

You have to justify Gilly and her babie then. I think that can’t be taken out of the show, it seems that both Gilly’s and Mance’s sons could be important in events to come.

204. Luke-WarmHands
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Caedes,

I just think they could put Gilly amoung the wildlings and have the whole Sam arc appear a bit later

205. Lina
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 11:54 am | Permalink

It must be Rast, as everyone else has said. There’s just no reason for him to even be around in later seasons, and the attack by the wights will have more impact if they kill a character the audience is at least familiar with.

Beric is second, as his death wouldn’t mean much.

While I was reading the comments I thought I could see Balon dying early, as he doesn’t really do all that much. However, after thinking about it, I don’t know if that would work. First, his rejection of Theon is, I think, what drives Theon to throw his tantrum at Winterfell. Second, if Balon dies early, that screws up the whole Euron storyline, which I believe will be important going forward.

I don’t see the point in killing off Greatjon or Karstark early, as they’ll just need to find replacements for them. Greatjon is more or less Robb’s right hand, and if Edmure isn’t in this season, I can’t see who else they could blend into that role. An early exit by Karstark would mess up the whole hostage situation later on (unless they’re just going to ignore this and come up with another way to whittle down Robb’s forces).

206. MW
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Jason Isaacs for Roose Bolton please!

207. Gytha Ogg
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Paul McGann for Roose, imo. :)

Although I’d not considered Jason Isaacs, another good one. Gahhhh, I can’t wait for the casting rumours to start again!

208. clemintine
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

I make it a policy to never read *any* discussion about *anything* if I don’t want it spoiled. There will always be leaks, so you get what you get for going into discussions before finishing the books.

209. Knurk
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

clemintine,

There is truth in that, but blatant spoilers must be avoided. Like smaller spoilers about a character that appears in a later book, the spoiler is that he/she will survive this season, this will probably happen alot. But a dry list of all deaths in one of the later books can be a megashock for someone who is just finishing book 2 for example. I can really understand Thorgall’s reaction. We shouldn’t blame him for reading comments about a show that only involves book 1 so far.

But all is explained now, and the spoilers are gone. Apparantly this has also something to do with the clunky browser Internet Explorer.

210. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

mummer,

Gotta go to work so I have to keep the response brief. Its a country song, You can drawl it out. Hehe I’ve been playing it on my geeetar and it sounds good ;)

211. Dennai
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Lina,
    OhDanyBoy,
    Mormegil,
    Jordan Healey,
    Brian Talbott,
    and so many others,

The only problem is that the actor portraying Rast asked me during the last Belfast moot if his character was still alive at the end of ACOK. He looked really relieved when I told him that he was still alive by then and told me he was really looking forward to be part of the second season. I think he had already finished his shots when we talked (or maybe he still had one more day of shooting, I can’t recall).

212. Vellaen
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

I’m probably late to the “guess who might die” party, but what about Rodrik Cassel?

Most of his role in S2/S3 could be given to Maester Luwin, and if he dies fighting the mountain clans, it might offer some interesting dramatic possibilities. You could illustrate some of Tyrion’s honor to the non-readers by a more open cooperation on the journey to the Eyrie, for instance. Which in turn will make Lysa seem that much more crazy/unsympathetic when she throws him in a sky cell.

For purely pragmatic (read: budget) reasons, you could also use Rodrik’s premature demise to eliminate the greater battle outside Winterfell with Ramsay Snow, and simply have him take the castle from Theon the same way Theon takes it from the Starks, with a small armed party and hence no massive CGI or extra requirements.

213. Vellaen
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Nevermind my post above. My guess didn’t even die in the third book, he died in the second.

Regardless of how the series turns out, my respect for Bryan Cogman and the other showrunners grows immensely. I’ve read the books four times and consider myself a stickler for details, and it turns out I can’t even get a secondary character’s death and a major event in the right book… and that’s without the prospect of several million fans with no compunctions about voicing their displeasure berating me mercilessly if I get anything wrong! :-P

214. Chris77
    Posted April 13, 2011 at 5:21 am | Permalink

If indeed some Character is to be killed of early and we know that it is a male character who otherwise gets killed in Season 3 we have limited options.

Robb: makes no sense at all and would alienate the whole fanbase.
    Joff: no sense, would eliminate the main villain for the next two seasons and would also impact the storylines of Cercei, Tyrion and Sansa, Stannis too much.
    Tywin: I hope not, because he keeps his kids in check (Cerceis marriage, Tyrions whoring, the trial etc.) and his death is too hilarious and fitting when it happens in the book.
    Marrilion: would not cut much stuff from season 3
    Greatjohn/Smalljohn: GJ does not die, SJ is too insignificant
    Karstark: would spoil an important step in maturing Robb
    Jorah: does not die, would eliminate his dynamic with Barristan
    Old Bear: Would spoil a lot of story from the next books, his death at Crasters is far more shocking than him being offed by a wight
    Berric: is a fan favourite and if you scrap his storyline, Catelyn’s return could not be explained satisfyingly (and his duel is way too cool to miss)
    Rast: possible, while not eliminating much storywise
    Roderik: dies in ACOK
    Renly: same
    Balon: same
    Hoster:IMO most likely, eliminates a lot of chapters, if his babbling should play a role in future books, you could have his last will be read or something like that. We just need his burial