Game of Thrones Emmy submissions
By Winter Is Coming on in News.

Emmy AwardsHBO has released their submissions for the 2011 Primetime Emmy Awards, which includes their category placements for Game of Thrones and its actors. Gold Derby has the scoop:

“Game of Thrones” debuted to strong reviews and ratings. Like “Boardwalk Empire,” it was renewed for a second season after only one episode had aired. HBO sent Emmy voters an impressive screner package and has confirmed the following category placements for its two hot new dramas:

“Game of Thrones”
Drama Series
Drama Actor: Sean Bean
Drama Actress: Lena Headey
Drama Supporting Actor: Mark Addy, Peter Dinklage, Nicolaj Coster-Waldau, Aiden Gillen, Kit Harington, Jason Momoa
Drama Supporting Actress: Emilia Clarke, Michelle Fairley

Winter Is Coming: A few surprises here. I feel as though Clarke would be better for lead and Headey better for supporting. But maybe she just doesn’t have the name recognition yet. Also, Jason Momoa being submitted is surprising as he doesn’t have much to do as Drogo.

Most notably, however, Maisie Williams is not on the list. A shame as she seems to have received the most consistent praise out of all the cast members. Apparently the deadline for submissions has not passed, so there is still time for HBO to rectify their mistake and nominate Maisie Williams for Supporting Actress. C’mon HBO!

UPDATE: The Race blog at The Hollywood Reporter evaluates Game of Thrones‘ Emmy chances. Even though this article was published prior to the submissions being released, they still talk about most of Thrones‘ legit Emmy contenders.

1. Superdeluxe
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Horrible decisions by HBO.

Emilia Clakre as Lead and Maisie Williams as best supporting.

WOW.

2. JakePT
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:20 am | Permalink

I’m surprised Harry Lloyd isn’t on the list either, since he’s getting a lot of praise too.

3. Chrysee
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Jason Momoa is shocking bc that character could be played by a cardboard cutout that humps. Nothing against the actor, but I’m sure this role does not really showcase his talents. I’m sure Maisie is awesome, but if nothing else I would expect a nom for season 2 when she really has a chance to shine.

4. The Winter Rose
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:22 am | Permalink

No Maisie Williams or Harry Lloyd?! What the hell HBO??? Put them on that list dammit! They deserves to be there!
    And I agree that Emilia Clark should be placed in Lead Actress.

5. Caedes
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:22 am | Permalink

What are the categories of the awards?

Is there any “best upcoming” actor?

And non-acting related ones?

6. Chrysee
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:23 am | Permalink

JakePT:

7. Eric DeBruin
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Missing Maisie is a huge disappointment.

8. Superdeluxe
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Caedes,

Not for the Emmys.

I am hoping for a trifecta..Emmys, GG, SAG

9. EvilPicnic
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Wonderful, but: ‘HBO sent Emmy voters an impressive screner package’… typo?

And does anyone else feel that this is very early for an awards submission? Why not wait ’til more than just one episode has aired so as to, y’know, gauge viewer and critical opinion with more accuracy and fairness?

10. Dante
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

It’s kind of hard for us to judge this since we’ve only seen one episode.

11. Felagund
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I guess they want to go for the sure first – I can bet in a greater sum here and now that Emilia Clarke will be nominated as a lead actor for the 2012 Emmy. Lena is a more known and acknowledged actor, as of yet, surely she has better chances of winning, and every won award makes the fame of Thrones grow even higher.

On the other hand: throw me to the squirrels but I am not that much imperssed by Maisie Williams’ acting. Well, undeniably she is cute and plays Arya well, but we should bear in mind that the ‘tomboy’ is a classic, easy, yet quite “rewarding” role…
    I was much more grateful to Ms Turner, because the ‘empty-headed posh girl’ is a much harder role to play and has gazillions of ways to go wrong. But she avoided all of them and played a great and living Sansa!
    (I must note that the little shrug she answered with to Catelyn asking where her sister is (obviously meaning “I don’t know and bloody don’t give a damn!”) was one of the best flashes in the whole pilot :) )

12. Franny Bee
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:35 am | Permalink

I like Maisie too, but I’ve only seen one episode (does she even have any lines in it?) so I can’t judge. Hope we get to hear her talk a lot in future eps.

Also, could be a case of “dues” or odds. Dues = awards go to actors who have generally been ‘in line’ for a while. Judges often consider whole careers, even if they’re just supposed to look at the one role. Established actors have more ‘art cred’. Odds = kids don’t win Emmies.

There is a school of thought that child-actors are scenery, and that you can’t be ‘good’ until you’ve been to school for acting, or done a bunch of indie films, etc.

13. SA_Avenger
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Maisie Williams should definitely be in imho (not that others don’t deserve but she is just top notch)
    Haven’t seen others episode yet it’s hard to judge Lena Headey as lead compared to other actress. Sean Bean mostly has the name going for him so it’s a logical choice but I definitely hope for Peter Dinklage

14. robert
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:37 am | Permalink

I’m pretty sure a child is not eligible or at least, at a quick glance no child has ever won, so it makes since there would be little official recognition there.

Also Fantasy/Scifi hasn’t won an Emmy in the last 20 years with X-files being the only exception. Something to consider.

15. Felagund
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:40 am | Permalink

robert,

Neither did any Fantasy/Scifi produce 7-8 million viewers worldwide on the opening week ;)

(BTW: does someone know exat numbers???)

16. MetalgoddessAMB
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Will they also release a list with the “technical” awards there vying for also?

17. Jessica C.
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Momoa on that list surprises me. I can’t even say who deserves it and doesn’t considering I’ve only seen one episode, but I do hope Game of Thrones gets at least one actor nomination, preferably lead male or female.

18. The DarkStar
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Not sure how the emmys work, but wouldn’t it make sense that GoT would be in next years emmys, considering the full span of the show is during spring this year? I mean, how can it win anything when the season has barely even started…

19. HBOless
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:45 am | Permalink

20. Tom
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

After seeing one episode how can any of you say someone should or shouldn’t be on that list? I think its a little early for us to pass judgement.

21. Steve the Pirate
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

I agree that Lloyd should be entered. I know he is less famous than most of the others, but he is amazing, and a real scene-stealer.
    Momoa won’t get a nomination, they’re probably just obligated to submit him on account of his fame…and I’m no expert, but don’t actors have their agents riding show runners’ asses about this kind of stuff? Seems like a famous guy like Momoa would be able to insist on being entered for consideration.

22. Lina
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:53 am | Permalink

First, really surprised to see Jason Momoa and NOT Harry Lloyd (no offense to Jason, but come on!)

Also, MAISIE FOR THE EMMY! I don’t care if she’s a kid. If she’s out-acting all the adults so much that even people who bashed the show praised her work, she deserves the recognition.

Third, I get why they’re peddling Sean and Lena as the Actor/Actress- Ned and Cersei have big roles, and they are the two most recognizable actors in the production. Ned’s role as S1 protagonist is pretty undisputed. But I feel that Emilia Clarke or even Michelle Fairley have roles just as big, if not bigger. I’d really want to see Emilia in the Actress category, but I guess, like Maisie, she’s too “new.”

All in all, I think productions with casts this large are always a group effort, so whoever gets nominated/wins for GoT, I will be happy for them!

23. Phantomwriter05
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:55 am | Permalink

I think judging by the pilot this is about right …

Emila is good, but she doesn’t have very many lines and to tell the truth she’s as much a cardboard cut out as Drogo.

Lena and Bean are experianced actors who have the top billings and carry the story through out the season.

Williams is a bit too young for the red carpet …

24. Jordan Healey
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Make some noise people

Harry Lloyd & Maisie Williams FTW

Although it might be a better submission for Season 2

25. Bridge
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Harry Lloyd gets my vote.

“Go on, feeeel the fabric”

Did no one else laugh aloud at this? I love how he shows HL’s Viserys is not only arrogant and perverted (traits shared by many other characters), but also a bit delusional.

26. Superdeluxe
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

I’ve heard that Mad Men is not eligible for the Emmys this year correct? Might be time for GoT to take over!

27. Martin Keamy
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Viserys is the one character I like more in the show than in the book. Those facial expressions!

28. Steve the Pirate
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Bridge,

Totally, I loved that part. The look on his face and the way he said it…that fucker is magic.

29. dizzy_34
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

I’ll echo the Maisie and Lloyd sentiments. Even though we haven’t seen much of her yet but I’ll trust Winter in this.

30. Tyr3on
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

I think HBO have made a smart call. With such a large ensemble cast, i don’t think Sean or Lena or any other GOT actor will win Best Actor/Actress, at least not this year.

But i do think Peter & Emilia have a better chance of winning Best Supporting. I guess HBO is playing the percentages & nominated them in those categories instead of Best Actor.

31. Julian Walker
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

If there one thing that we have to consider is the 2011 Emmys have their submissions open for June1, 2010 to May 31, 2011…..Game of Thrones can only submit so many episodes (at least 7) before the deadline..but none the less I think Lloyd should be considered…

32. purplejilly
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Bridge,
    I agree! Can’t believe Harry Lloyd isn’t getting a submission. He’s outstanding, even if you don’t know how dull book Viserys is, and what a bangup job Harry is doing in giving him dimensions.

33. Galadrielle X
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Maisie Williams is either a natural or she’s a great actress. I think it’s a bit of both. I’m not sold on Harry Lloyd, his lines are almost impossible to say aloud (even if they are directly from the book), and he barely is able to deliver them. I’m talking about lines like Don’t wake the dragon and 40,000 men and their horses. I’m not saying he’s a bad actor; I’m saying the script doesn’t showcase his acting abilities. No one wins emmys for being an impatient brat/psychopath that drops cliches at every corner.
    Edit: Sorry for the edits. I can’t type today!

34. Chris
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Up until this point, Maisie’s lines have been:

“Move out of the way!”
    “Arya.”
    “Where’s the imp?”

I’m not saying she doesn’t deserve to be nominated, but it may be a little early for us to start calling HBO out…

35. Julian Walker
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Besides, next year is going to be Dinklage’s turn to shine, as well as Williams!! HARRENHAL SCENES FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. Eleanor
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Possibly it would have people scratching their heads a bit if Daenerys, somebody so far removed from the main action was considered the lead? Cersei as the most central female character this season makes sense to me.

Agree Momoa’s agent may have talked about nominations prior to role acceptance. Peter O’Toole couldn’t have won an award for Khal Drogo.

37. Eleanor
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Chris,

Up until this point, Maisie’s lines have been:

“Move out of the way!”
    “Arya.”
    “Where’s the imp?”

Heresy! You’re forgetting that classic line, “That’s Jaime Lannister, the Queen’s twin brother.”

:p

38. Maxwell James
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

It’s political, folks. I was seriously annoyed that Hailee Steinfeld was only nominated for Best Supporting Actress for True Grit, since she had easily the largest role in that movie & knocked it out of the park. But less-well-known actors NEVER get put forward for the major awards.

39. purplejilly
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

We should create our own awards. I’ll nominate the not-matt-damen-but-looks-like-him guy for best short-screen(scream?)-time role. And Harry Lloyd can have the best-transformed-from-book award.

40. Julian Walker
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

BTW…the “Move out off the way!” line was the only line I remember Arya saying to Bran…Does anyone else remember any interaction between the two in the book? I don’t recall the younger Stark boys interacting with the girls too much. I don’t even think Sansa mentions Bran.

41. John
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Another vote from me for Maisie Williams.

I think she has a chance for a Kirsten Dunst like moment (oscar win for Interview with the Vampire when she was 13).

Not that Maisie doesn’t also have chances in later seasons, but come on… THE scene, what she is forced to watch. The panic afterwards. Come on…

42. Superdeluxe
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Chris,

I think we are basing it off of those that have seen all 6 episodes..all the critics talk about 2 people, maisie williams and peter Dinklage.

43. Nick Larter
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Initially I thought that having no Maisie was indeed a travesty, but on the other hand, Arya’s part in GoT is not huge, whereas in CoK, she’s carrying a huge chunk of the story. If she were nominated in Season 1 she might not win. If it’s left until Season 2 and if her acting develops as we all seem to think it will, then she’ll be absolutely unbeatable.

44. Julian Walker
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

I agree with purplejelly!!!!!!!!!!!

I would nominate the guy who played Will. Doing a lot in such a short amount of time!!

“I saw what I saw. I saw dem white walkers”

45. Nicole
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

I was most impressed with Michelle Fairley in the first episode. She was amazing. Maisie is just getting started though, and she is going to be badass.

46. Julian Walker
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

I think we should also be wary of HBO’s other show, Boardwalk Empire…fresh off winning the Golden Globes..it might even upset Mad Men’s consistent win

47. Jessica C.
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

John:
    Another vote from me for Maisie Williams.

I think you mean Anna Paquin for The Piano. But this could be a breakout role for her, much like Interview was for Dunst.

48. purplejilly
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Hey, I just got these tweets in my quantum time machine from the future..Anyone else see any? XD

GoT Season 2 Tweets:
    MyNameIsBrienne: Heard Renly B. from Westeros is coming to visit. Big deal, another royal bigshot annoying us Tarthians and messing up traffic in the city.

MyNameIsBrienne: Holy crap, erase that last tweet! Saw him riding today, what a stone-cold hottie! I’d turn Warrior for that Prince!

Renly’sPeach: Back off, ‘Beauty’, he’s already spoken for.

49. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

It’s way too early for me to say anything about those submissions because I haven’t seen nearly enough of the actors to have a relevant opinion. From what we’ve seen so far (one episode and preview footage) I see no reason to be outraged about Maisie not getting a nod because while she seems really good the other children has been just as good. Given that, and since children are unlikely to win, I have no problems with it yet.

Harry Lloyd seems good enough but I can think of one reason why he might have been left out, and it’s not due to a lacking performance.

50. dizzy_34
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Tywin’s Bastard,

heh, good point.

51. world_dancer
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

I’m also surprised to see Lena Heady as well. Not because of quality issues, but based on the books Cersei isn’t a prominent role at this point. They’d have to write her a lot of extra scenes to justify this. Supporting Actress, sure but not Actress.

52. Julian Walker
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

I know this is NOT related to GOT at all but Restrepo director Tim Hetherington was just killed in Libya by a motar shell. Sad news…I have yet to see that movie but just wanna say that we should show some respect to this guy..such courage

R.I.P.

53. PowerBum
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Chrysee: Good point. Lloyd seems to be doing quite a lot with a character that was honestly pretty flat in the books.

Yeah, this is unfortunate considering he won’t get a chance in future seasons.

54. purplejilly
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Julian Walker,
    that guy was great. He had such a great ‘character’ look to his face. And I felt so bad for him! No one believed him.. wipes tear…

55. NickS
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

based on what we’ve seen, the only mistake on that list is Momoa in favor of Lloyd

but based on all the reviews, it definitely sounds like Maisie is getting the pointy end of the stick on this one. hope they ammend their submissions & include these two for consideration

56. EvilPicnic
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Superdeluxe:
    I’ve heard that Mad Men is not eligible for the Emmys this year correct?Might be time for GoT to take over!

Yup, as sad as it is for Mad Men fans, this is great news for new shows like GoT! And the front-runner falls at the first hurdle…

And as brilliant as Harry Lloyd is, choosing an Emmy submission is unfortunately less about ‘who did the best acting’, and everything about ‘who has the most chance to win’

57. gofalcons
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Jordan Healey:
    Make some noise people

Harry Lloyd & Maisie Williams FTW

Although it might be a better submission for Season 2

Harry is going to have to do a hell of a job to get a nomination for season 2!

58. James
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

They need to switch Jason Momoa with Harry Lloyd

59. Chris
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Am I the only one who thought Bran was REALLY good in the pilot? I’d argue he did a better job with a more difficult role than Arya’s, just going off the pilot that we have seen.

60. Sherry
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

I think the submissions for Sean Bean and Mark Addy are perfect. From what I seen on Twitter and other sites a lot of people would agree. They talk about the scene where Robert and Ned first talk and Sean’s eyebrow raising and the scene in the crypt seems to have been the highlight for many people. I did think Harry Lloyd also stood out.
    I do admit to a bias. I am watching because of Sean and will probably only watch for as long as Sean is there. I liked the show but can live without the HBO expense.

61. Who Is Jacopo Belbo?
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

the emmys, like the grammys or the oscars often times do not reward the best … they have a long history of being pretty off base in who gets what award or even what gets nominated. sometimes they get it right almost by accident but more often they get it wrong.

if you want GoT to win an award with an actual history of rewarding true quality keep your fingers crossed for it to win a BAFTA (the British Emmys and Oscars). the stuff that wins BAFTAs are almost without exception the most deserving and highest quality.

62. Regina Thorne
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

I think “Game of Thrones” will have the same problem at the Emmys that “The Wire” and to some degree “Friday Night Lights” did; there’s no single lead character and they have a large ensemble cast of less well-known actors. To be honest, given that “The Wire” never won an Emmy for anything I think that award is largely meaningless in terms of quality. (And while I haven’t seen enough of GoT to judge the child actors, I find it hard to believe that they will surpass – though they may equal – the astonishing kids from season 4 of “The Wire” who carried the whole season.) But just being nominated will probably boost the number of people who tune in and that’s probably why they nominated actors the Emmy voters have actually heard of (like Momoa who has a big summer film coming up.)

Posted April 21, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Added a link to this THR article about GoT’s chances at the Emmys. It was actually published yesterday, before the submissions were released, but it is interesting as it looks primarily at the stigmas that GoT faces in attempting to win some awards.

64. Eleanor
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Chris,

Agree completely. I just wish he hadn’t mumbled so much when his dad was quizzing him on the ethics of beheading. It was almost as difficult to understand as Theon’s topless line about the queen, which I still can’t hear after about 5 viewings.

Of course if Isaac had been nominated prior to episode 2 airing newbies would definitely smell a rat.

65. Joohnson
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

They are just going with the names, the recognized actors on this show.
    Brave? Certainly not. Understandable? Definately.

We can only hope the kids get some emmy love for next season. It’s coming, you know!!

66. Galadrielle X
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

About Harry Lloyd. I think that I’m not seeing how good he is in GoT because I’m not inserting content from the book into his performance. I think that is how most people here are impressed by his performance–I’m guessing you have thought about the implications of the lines he is saying.

Assuming that is why you think he’s great (in GoT), I will go on to say this. I read the books, maybe too long ago. So I’m not feeling the implications of don’t wake the dragon. In the books I thought he was referring to a myth about their family which they both understood. Unfortunately, the show doesn’t touch on that, even if it shows Dany going into the hot pool. In the book it alluded to the myth of dragon in Targaryen blood, here in the show its about how she is escaping the world of pain around her. So the show makes the don’t wake the dragon seem like some sort of empty threat, doesn’t really touch any past ‘fit of rage’ or Targaryen myth.

Assuming the playwrights are not alluding to Targaryen myths about dragons that a little girl such as Dany might believe, they are just using the byproduct implications of physical threat by ‘don’t wake the dragon’? Is Dany so beaten down that she can’t argue with her brother? Is she that weak and broken? Because I didn’t get that sense in the book. In the book, I thought she just wanted to be left alone, was content with a simple life and was looking forward to one day seeing the little red house.

It’s true Lloyd’s facial expressions are …masterful (…), but his lines go in and out of what the book alludes to. From the vantage of the fan, at least for me, confusing what the script writers were trying to accomplish. I can’t imagine a non-fan gets a feeling Viserys is that threatening to a stocky girl like Dany–she looks like she could beat him up. I think Lloyd is as fine an actor you can find for Viserys. I just don’t think the role could win a dramatic award.

67. Superdeluxe
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Julian Walker,

His death was known yesterday afternoon.

68. Kanga
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

I also would’ve liked to see Harry Lloyd on that list, and Emilia Clarke in the lead actress category instead of supporting.
    It’s okay though. To be honest I lost respect for the Emmys as a legitimate judge/system quite a while ago, I don’t put much stock in their opinions anymore. But of course it’d still be nice to see GoT win something :)

69. DH87
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

HBO knows how to play this game. At this point, it is more important that the show win than that the most deserving actor wins. Awards to anyone will benefit everyone since it is a prime marketing tool for HBO and will help build buzz (ratings) for future seasons.
    And this IS the time for nominations; the voting period takes place over the summer, right after GOT will have finished its run; it will be fresh in the minds of Emmy voters, always a huge factor in who eventually wins, since many of the voters give the screeners of shows that ran earlier in the year short shrift. Mad Men, which usually is playing during the July voting, won’t be showing new episodes, Boardwalk Empire and Mildred Pierce will have ended months previously and so won’t be so “hot.” Good move all around by HBO.

70. Stefan Langmann
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

With both Mad Men and Breaking Bad not eligible, I think Game of Thrones could really stand a chance to win some Emmys this year.

But to say and judge, who deserved one and who not, I will wait and watch the other 9 episodes to get a good picture of all actors. For the first episode though Sean Bean, Mark Addy and Michelle Fairley were the ones, whos performance I liked the most. Although I don’t like Catelyn in the books, Fairley was able to make me really like her in the show. And the dynamic between Bean and Addy was just awesome. Isaac Hempstead-Wright and NCW were also very good imo.

71. saluk
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

I’m sure Momoa gets more to do. Once they start subtitling dothraki and using the language more he will have many chances to show he can act.

Cersei had the most lines in the pilot of all of the actresses. Most lines, most $$$ = lead actor. Also I think she was billed as lead on the full cast announcment.

As great as the children are, they are more great because children usually aren’t, then because they actually outshine the other actors. And they have less screen time and lines too. If only there were like a child emmy’s so they could b recognized! As their parts become more involved, they will have more chances.

These are not really surprising on second, though I too had that initial reaction.

Harry Lloyd is a surprise, though maybe they felt they had nominated too many already, and it’s subjective whether he is better than any they submitted. Certainly not Addy or Dinklage, it’s better for the series if Waldau, Gillen, or Harringon are nominated, so it does come down to Llord or Momoa, and we really haven’t seen enough to judge. I think it might be a toss up, but both actors have characters that feel a little one dimensional. If they overcome this a bit it is impressive, but I don’t know if they actually have room to show that they are great actors, beyond the material.

72. Lugez
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

It seems clear to me that there is a degree of politics involved in this too. Headey was chosen because she’s well known, and people know her. Her relationship with HBO could be strained if they chose a completely new actress (like say, Clarke) to represent the leading role over her. My only complaint is Harry Lloyd not being there.

But then again, I’ve only seen one episode. So these actors still have time shine over the next nine weeks. I’ll reserve judgment until I actually see more of the show.

73. Tysnow
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

For a so-called entertainment critic, Ms James really should have better Emmy knowledge. Mildred is a mini-series, Game of Thrones is a drama series, they will be in totally different catagories.
    Mildred has to go up against other mini-series and made for tv movies.
    I believe Sean has a good chance, he has been in the business a long time, and Michelle being an acclaimed award winning stage thespian has a good chance too.
    Then there is Tyr…Peter, he has the best shot of all, at least by many critics perspectives.
    It is all up to the voters, are they more like that NY Times, Ms Gripping Bitch, I hate fantasy, so I am not really going to acknowledge it as dramatic entertainment and review the series and critique it based on industry standards. Hopefully, they are more mainstream and will vote based upon the shows merits.

Posted April 21, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Just to clarify, Mad Men is eligible for the Emmys this year. It is the 2012 Emmys that they likely won’t be eligible for. This is because they’ve had to delay filming their next season due to the lengthy contract talks.

But their most recent season premiered on July 25, 2010, which is within 2011′s eligibility period of June 1, 2010 to May 31, 2011.

75. SockMonkeh
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

They went with Lena Headey instead of Emilia Clarke because these things are all a bunch of pointless circle-jerks.

76. DH87
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: Just to clarify, Mad Men is eligible for the Emmys this year. It is the 2012 Emmys that they likely won’t be eligible for.

Agreed, but it is NOT airing new episodes; it is eligible for last year’s work. That is what seems to sway Emmy voters, so industry wisdom says—what’s airing at the time of voting in July.
    And thanks, Tys, for the reminder that MP will be in a different category.
    GOT may be up against last year’s Mad Men, last year’s True Blood (theoretically, and which will be airing new episodes in July), something on a broadcast network, something else on basic cable, and The Borgias.

77. Hollyoak
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Chris:

“Please, Father!” he says as Theon picks up a pup to prepare to kill it.

I thought that line was great. The emotion on his face was so real. I also like the way Kit says “pups.”

“There are five “pops” here.” LOL.

78. Lina
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

For those who haven’t yet seen, GRRM got some love today too: a place on the TIME 100 list!

So glad he’s getting the recognition he deserves!

79. Cad
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Ya’ll have to realize that the Emmy’s, like so many other awards, isn’t solely about merit. There’s also a heavy undercurrent of politics and lobbying that goes on. Let HBO handle this. It understands the way the Emmy game is played. If you think it’s solely about merit, you’re very naive.

80. Josh Parker
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

I don’t think this series has a chance. Awards shows don’t just dislike fantasy; Emmy just about never goes for costume drama, period.

Rome was totally ignored by them. Unjustly, I might add. Similarly, The Tudors.

I’ll be shocked (in a good way) if GoT manages even one major non-tech nod.

Despite that, if I were an Emmy voter, I’d be voting a solid GoT ticket this year.

I’ll also chip in my 2 cents that Maisie Williams deserves to be submitted.

81. Nick
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

DH87,

Well, not really. Mad Men has won every year for the previous years work.

82. Nick
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Their next season will air beginning of 2012 so they should be eligible for the 2012 Emmys as well

83. DH87
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Nick: Well, not really. Mad Men has won every year for the previous years work.

Nick, I guess we are not on the same page.
    Mad Men has always run new episodes in July (2007, 08 and 11) or August (2009). That means it has always benefited from airing during Emmy voting season. I’m not saying it hasn’t won every year or that it hasn’t deserved it, just that this year will be the first year in which it is nominated and new (but ineligible) episodes are NOT running at the same time as the voting is taking place. That synchronicity is considered to give summer shows a great advantage becausethere is no guarantee that all Emmy voters actually watch the screeners of eligible/nominated episodes.
    Does that make sense or am I missing your point?

84. Nick
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

DH87,

Yes I see what you mean, sorry. It’s unfortunate that season 4 was by far the best Mad Men season.

85. Elena Amici
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

MAISIE FTW!!!
    /fangirl mode off
    :D

86. Becky Wilson
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

I would need to see the dancing lessons scenes before I jump on the #Maisie4Emmy bandwagon. I -adore- that girl, but just based on the pilot, there’s not much to work with. She’s perfect as Arya, but she would need more substance to be a contender in my mind. Between the dancing lessons and watching the you know what near the end of the book. I think she’s got the potential to wow us.

Harry Lloyd, however, made an impression on everyone I watched this show with. Crazy. Evil. He did an -amazing- job with that character. He definitely needs to be nominated. I can’t wait to see how he handles the descent into madness and the moment just before he’s crowned by Drogo, where he was finally so relieved and almost childlike.

87. Grimtuesday
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

I’d like to see Mark Addy nominated. He is giving a great performance as Robert (from what we’ve seen).

88. Elena Amici
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

i’d like a brand new category: best cast. Game of thrones ;)

89. obsidian
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

This is OT , but Empire has an interview with GRRM. Much of the same stuff as in the time interview, but an interesting bit about favourite characters :)

90. Chris
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

I think GoT will be taken more seriously in the technical awards, and not as seriously in the acting / directing / best drama awards.

It’s also hard to choose leading actors and supporting actors for this show. If I were to pick lead actors for this season it would be: Sean Bean, Emilia Clarke and Kit Harington. But Lena Headey probably has more screentime and influence on the “main storyline” than Emilia, so it’s a tough call.

91. anna howard
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

I have to say that I agree that Harry Lloyd should have been considered too. Maisie Williams hasn’t done anything in the first episode that any other experienced child actor couldn’t do so I cant comment until I see further episodes.

I do however have to leap to Momoa’s defence. Yes he is an unlikely name on that list, but he hasn’t had very much to do in the first episode and lets not forget the work he has put into that role. The way he speaks Dothraki you would think that it was his first language, I have seen several commentors laughing because of the shock of seeing him speaking in real life – not to mention the amount of weight in muscle he put on for the role. I am very interested to see what will happen down the line. It looks like Drogo’s character might be changed a little from the books judging by the wedding night scene and some of the clips shown.

92. saluk
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Lead actors/actresses in tv are partly defined by how they are paid. In fact, whether you are credited as a lead on the cast sheet or not comes with a significant dollar sign difference. That said, looking over previous nominations for this category, I don’t see many who aren’t the obvious protagonist of their series. As an ensemble piece, the leading actor/actress categories are going to be a huge challenge for GoT. Some nominations from supporting are very likely, the supporting categories really like ensemble pieces. The Drama Series is the longest of long shots. The technical awards it should clean the floor.

93. GaR
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

The performances that impressed me most in episode 1 were Mark Addy, Bronson Webb and Harry Lloyd. Might add Fairley to that too.

Lloyd is so good he just freaks me out every time he opens his mouth :P

I can understand leaving the younger actors for later seasons. Sophie, Maisie and Isaac are all showing some great potential.

94. Bro
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

HBOless: Harry Lloyd should be on there for supporting. He’s a standout. The scene where he rushes down the steps after Drogo leaves w/out saying a word was priceless. He’s been stealing all his scenes, actually.

Too damn right! That scene is perfect, makes me laugh every time.
    But I do think it’s rather early to be putting in for awards, with only one episode shown so far.

95. SK
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Tom:
    After seeing one episode how can any of you say someone should or shouldn’t be on that list?I think its a little early for us to pass judgement.

I agree with this statement since I’ve only seen one episode myself.

I’m happy for the actors and actresses who have been submitted and I wish many awards on this show. Considering who the main players are in season 1 (Ned, Cersei, Dany, Tyrion, Jon) I’m not surprised by the list except to say I thought Michele Fairley might get a nomination since I’ve heard nothing but positive things about her work. Arya, Robb, Bran, and Sansa have meatier arcs in season 2, so perhaps they will get nods next year.

96. Mike Chair
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Series and leads are no-brainers.

Supporting Cast?
    Nicolaj Coster-Waldau? Absolutely. He has the screen presence of Harrison Ford.

No Maisie? There must be some kind of mistake.

Franny Bee: I like Maisie too, but I’ve only seen one episode

True. So take my nomination of Maisie, as we say in my line of work, de bene esse. Unless she starts stinking up the joint, she should be in.

Elena Amici:
    i’d like a brand new category: best cast. Game of thrones

Well, that’s an existing category. The Emmys have an award for Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series. True Blood was nominated for it last year.

So, let’s agree that GoT should also be nominated for Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series. Perhaps that’s not one HBO would submit or HBO hasn’t submitted it yet — GoT should certainly be nominated for Outstanding Art Direction.

97. persephone88
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

You know Maisie is going to be a fan favorite this year, and NEXT season she will have the opportunity to really show some acting chops via Jaqen and Harrenhall – I think she has a better shot next year.

I do love Harry Lloyd and am sorry they did not push him for supporting as well. Hoping the show gets some recognition in the awards this year….

98. Mike Chair
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

persephone88,

I bet. Hey, the Emmys aren’t the be-all and end-all, you know.

In fact, The Others take the Emmys.

Personally, I prefer the People’s Choice Awards, the Golden Globes and the Screen Actor’s Guild Awards. (The People’s Choice Awards support the bottom with the Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy Show Award.)

99. Elena Amici
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Well, that’s an existing category.The Emmys have an award for Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series.True Blood was nominated for it last year.

it damn should ;)

Posted April 21, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Re: Maisie Williams (and her lack of dialogue so far)

…It’s all about her FACIAL EXPRESSIONS! Seriously, she does a fantastic job with her face. Check out these awesome moments:

1. When Robb picks her up at the feast and says “Time for bed,” her face is hilarious!

2. When she first asks “Where’s the Imp?” and is shushed by Sansa, she kind of rolls her eyes in a really funny way. Made me laugh out loud.

3. Her look of displeasure when doing her needlework is just perfect.

Those expressions alone tell me that this kid can act. Can’t wait to see more.

101. Wastrel
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Whether or not GoT has much chance of winning anything at all (I doubt it – it’s a disliked genre, and most of the performances are dripping with cliche and melodrama… it’s a show that works by developing character through plot, I think, and through the awesomeness of everything, rather than the sort of hyper-realistic subtle vignettes that at least OUGHT to win acting awards): of course Williams isn’t nominated.

Why bother? Is anyone seriously going to vote to give an Emmy to a young child in her first ever performance – when the role isn’t that prominent, and basically comes down to looking cute and feisty and crying a few times?

Now, if she’s as good as people say she is, that bodes well for the future. And IF she’s brilliant in S2 (Harrenhal), S3 (leaving the Hound to die slowly – my favourite scene in the books) and S4 (Cat of the Canals), THEN there will be a real chance of some nominations and maybe even victories. Because by then she’ll be doing difficult, challenging material, and will have had a lot of screentime in front of the voters.

At this stage, surely the acclaim she’s looking for is “hey, that kid’s pretty good, we should keep an eye on her!”, rather than “someone get that child an oscar!”.

I mean, here’s the youngest Oscar winners and nominees (I know Oscars aren’t the same as Emmys, but the data’s easier to find, and not too far away in level):
    - Actor: winner 29, nominee 9 (in 1931 – and the second youngest nominee was 19, again back in the thirties – no nominee under 25 since 1977).
    - Actress: winner 21 (nobody under 25 since 1986), nominee 13 (second youngest 20)
    - Supporting Actor: 20 (second-youngest 27), nominee 8 (7 under 20)
    - Supporting Actress: 10, 11, 16, 23; nominee… ok yes, there are lots of young girls.

So, that undermines my argument somewhat. Children can get nominated for the supporting category. But look even at the people who got nominated as children – basically you’ve got to be the centre of a major film. Tatum O’Neal got an Oscar at ten – for playing the leading role (she won Supporting) in a film where she plays the blackmailing orphan daughter of a prostitute who helps con money out of widows, in a comedy about the Depression. Abigail Breslin in Little Miss Sunshine had the entire film named after her character! Mary Badham was the girl in To Kill a Mockingbird. The kid in Shane.

OK, I don’t really know what my point is anymore. Just that: regardless of her PERFORMANCE, Maisie Williams has not yet been given an award-winning ROLE – the kind of role that gets actors awards. As I say, if the writing is good enough, Arya may become that sort of role in later seasons. But not in this one.

Posted April 21, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Wastrel,

SPOILERS.

103. Elena Amici
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Lex:

Agree

i think the same about both Kit Harington (the way he glances when he’s in the background, like when king bob comes to WF) and the awesome NCW (just the way he raise his eyebrows gives me nerdgasms)
    It’s all about facial expression, guys :D

104. the goat
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici,

I think the SAG Awards have one for Best Ensemble. Too bad there isn’t one for Biggest Ensemble, GoT would win hands down!

Mike Chair,

I’m pretty sure the Oustanding Casting Award goes to a show’s Casting Director, and I’ll be shocked if HBO doesn’t put Nina Gold forward for her incredible work.

Bean, Addy and Momoa were sort of givens as this is their only chance to win. Of course, for that same reason, its even more of a shame that Lloyd wasn’t submitted.

I also really hope they submit George’s episode for the Writing Award. It would be so awesome if he were to finally win an Emmy!

Another interesting question is which of the actors are actually SAG members. I don’t think you have to be for the Emmys, but certainly for the SAG Awards. Bean, Headey, Momoa, Gillen, Dinklage and Addy definitely are, and I’d be surprised if Coster-Waldau and Fairley aren’t. Not sure about the kids though. Allen, Harrington and Madden very well might be, but I doubt any of the younger ones are, unless they just recently joined.

105. Wastrel
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Shit! Sorry, could somebody edit out the spoilers in my post, please?

I knew they were there, but I was going to block them out before posting. But… then I got distracted, and by the time I finished writing the post I’d forgotten I’d put them there.

Note to self: do things when you think of them!

106. ceo408
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

HOW DID THEY LEAVE OUT MAISIE?! This is nuts! It seems as though they are going for the actors/actresses with the biggest names already. Maybe it’s my own bias on knowing how the characters develop, but I think that Maisie Williams and Emilia Clarke are going to give the biggest and best performances out of the female characters. If they keep Cersei the way she is in the books, without sugar-coating her evilness, than Headey will undoubtedly give us a great performance.

But I am disappointed. I’m glad Kit Harrington is being recognized though. He seems to be making a great Jon Snow, and I have high expectations of him and a good feeling that he will surpass them.

It’s frustrating knowing that all of the characters that everyone seems to see as the most important, might not even make it past the first season. I mean, Ned Stark is pivotal and Sean Bean is doing an outstanding job so far, but I think that Arya is by far the most important Stark. I feel as though Robb, Jaime and Robert are getting too much attention due to their big names/looks.

I just don’t want the children to be overlooked as they, in my opinion, are the heart of the series. Namely Arya, Jon, Bran and Dany

107. Anne Vaillancourt
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

Bridge,

Ha! Word! I personnally keep rewinding and replaying that part at Illyrio’s when Drogo leaves and Lloyd kind of saunters down the stairs : “Where’s he going????”

108. Langkard
    Posted April 22, 2011 at 12:15 am | Permalink

We do have at least next season for the characters whose parts increase in size. Sean Bean, Mark Addy and Jason Momoa have only this season. I won’t complain about their chances for that reason. But I will be extremely disappointed if Peter Dinklage and Kit Harrington aren’t nominated as Best Actor – not just Supporting Actor – next season. And I’ll be equally disappointed if Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams and Isaac Hempstead-Wright are nominated in some capacity. I admit to being one of those people cheering for Maisie. She is making Arya come alive in an amazing way, just in her little screen time so far.

We haven’t seen much yet from the other children, although that changes in the coming episodes. We’ll finally get a chance to see the talents of Jack Gleeson and Alfie Owen-Allen, some now and more next season.

The real problem with having such an outstanding cast is just picking a few out for awards! HBO can just send in their entire cast and say, “here are out nominations!” I wish they could. But then, I’m a fan, not exactly an unbiased observer of it all.

109. Langkard
    Posted April 22, 2011 at 12:17 am | Permalink

Langkard,

And that should be “And I’ll be equally disappointed if Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams and Isaac Hempstead-Wright are NOT nominated in some capacity.

110. saluk
    Posted April 22, 2011 at 2:39 am | Permalink

Langkard,

There’s a pretty big chance Dinklage will be in the lead actor position. I haven’t read CoK, but doesn’t he basically carry the book? And without Sean Bean, Dinklage is pretty close to the most recognizable name as well. It’s doubtful Kit would be lead.

Of course we are a bit ahead of ourselves :) We don’t know how good the first season is, and even less how the second season will turn out. There’s every possibility (not that I think it will, but there are no certainties here) that it goes downhill.

111. rohwyn
    Posted April 22, 2011 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Galadrielle X:
    About Harry Lloyd.I think that I’m not seeing how good he is in GoT because I’m not inserting content from the book into his performance. I think that is how most people here are impressed by his performance–I’m guessing you have thought about the implications of the lines he is saying.

I don’t know if I agree with that. It’s true that there isn’t context for some of Viserys’s lines in the show. But it’s pretty hard to deliver a line like “you don’t want to wake the dragon” the way Lloyd did. It could have come off as really creepy, or it could have jumped off the screen as funny and out of place. Instead, it’s all soft and dangerous, which is perfect for Viserys, IMO. In the scene, it comes off as having a vaguely sexual connotation which is appropriate given Viserys’s general creepiness in the scene.

I think Lloyd brings the right amount of royal entitlement, petulance and general assholery to the role. For what it’s worth, I thought he stole every scene he was in, and he almost certainly has more to say/do in the next few episodes than Jason Momoa does! But he’s not a big star (yet), and I get that name recognition is driving this more than anything else.

I’m also personally not that impressed with Emilia Clarke. She spent an entire episode with the exact same expression on her face, and while I know that her character will have quite the journey, I’m not sure the actor can carry it off, based on what I’ve seen so far. I’d be shocked if she ended up with an Emmy nod.

No love for Isaac Hempstead-Wright? I thought he was brilliant as Bran.

112. Brynn
    Posted April 22, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

While I am impressed with Maisie so far because Arya is one of my favorite characters, I just do not think there is any justification for “OMG NO MAISIE NOMINATION?!?!” outrage. Really. She had only one line that I even remember. “Where is the imp?”

I am in agreement with Wastrel above about there not being much material either to seriously consider a nomination for her.

To be honest, while the cast has been impressive, after one episode I don’t know that any one of them deserves an emmy yet. But with the deadline being what it is, HBO is submitting now for I hope what they believe are the strongest performances. Based on that, I am surprised that Clarke is not in the lead actress category but instead in the supporting.

113. Elena Amici
    Posted April 23, 2011 at 12:05 am | Permalink

saluk:

if GoT gets a season 3 in a couple of years, maybe. But not right now – he doing a great job but, as emilia, is unknown (this is why emilia clarke is not lead. my 2 cents) and this is his first filming production.

rohwyn:

i don’t think so. she was great. but i don’t think she should be the lead – at least not this season.

114. jobbse
    Posted July 10, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

ok for all those who are surprised by Jason Momoa being on this list…now that the whole season is done…How could you possibly deny him that…HBO knew what they were doing…They had seen the finished product..and he just nailed it!!! He was the only actor in the whole serious that had to do and learn what he did…I believed every move he made…Way to go Jason…you earned it!!!

1. [...] Winter is Coming Author: Maria 22 April, 2011 No Comments Leave a [...]

2. [...] listings for the next Primetime Emmy Awards are out! (We have already written on an early scoop on some of the nominations.) The ceremony is going to take place on September 18, 2011. Here [...]

3. [...] Ballot listings for the next Primetime Emmy Awards are out! (We have already written about an early scoop on some of these.) The nominations will be announced on July 14, while the ceremony is going to [...]