Quick Hits: Riffs and Laffs
By Fire And Blood on in Media, Press.

First and mawfaw foremost is this: LEX SHREDS on his guitar-only rendition of Ramin Djawadi’s spectacular opening credit sequence theme. (Get the mp3 here!) The axe-man cometh! Way to represent, Lex!

I kinda like the thought of getting a whole band behind that bad boy and seeing what happens. I wonder if Nerf Herder is available…

Oddly, waltzes make excellent metal songs. 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3…

The popular webcomic Penny Arcade recently went GoT with their latest strip: The Song of Something Something. (I considered getting that done to my head, just to feel the joy of experiencing the series all over again. How much can it cost? Can’t be so bad.)

Television Without Pity loves them some Thrones; here is What The Royal Wedding Could Learn From Game Of Thrones. Even funnier, here’s their Game of Thrones forum has a thread called Completely Unspoiled Speculation. This is a must-read, as well as a Do-Not-Comment if you’re read the books. But just reading it… Heh! Good stuff.

More comics? Sure. Our good friends at Half Assed continue on their obsession. (And why shouldn’t they? It’s our obsession as well.) Here in their latest comic (which contains spoilers!) (by Mike Rosenzweig and Jorge Angel) they continue to Always Support the Bottom. Scroll back some to see some of the ones you may have missed before. You go, boys.

Jason Momoa did another interview, this one with MTV (a lot of our dudes seem to go there). Here he talks about the “joys” of raping close friends. Good times.

Guess who’s decided to flex his muscles in the fight against illegal downloading? Why Conan *bleeping* Stevens, that’s who. Read about the Mountain’s experiences, submit to his wisdom; know his awesomeness.

Lastly, Lord Ned’s Head, also born of House Gatewatch, has launched his own fiefdom, called Lord Ned’s Headlines. Read it. Love it. And perhaps in a few years we will give Lord Nedhead our sixth son in wedlock to one of his eighty-two daughters.

Fire And Blood: We literally never run out of stuff to write about. Ever. I kind of love it. Always Support the Bottom!

UPDATE: Film Music Reporter is reporting that the Game of Thrones OST will release on June 14th from Varese Sarabande Records. If you just can’t wait until then to get the opening theme onto your iPod, you can download the official version here and the piano rendition here. Thanks to Jeff T for providing the mp3 files!

1. Blargh
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 8:40 am | Permalink

From Conan’s blog post:

Producers know that they lose money in illegal downloads and some, like HBO, are combatting it by putting thier content online for a reasonable pay to view fee for internet viewers.

Conan’s analysis is correct. However, he’s wrong that HBO is one of the producers doing this. Unfortunately, HBO is so heavily in bed with the cable companies that they’re either unable or unwilling to offer online content absent an HBO subscription. It’s unfortunate too, because I suspect it would eliminate most GoT piracy.

2. Fabian Schneider
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:00 am | Permalink

Blargh:
    From Conan’s blog post:

3. Puzzlnut
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Lex – fabulous! I loved the music anyway – and of course after listening to your version it’s stuck in my head.

4. Snarkmaiden
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink

It’s more a Viennese waltz than a (slow) waltz – it’s pretty up-tempo.

That would be something to see on Strictly Come Dancing (or your local equivalent, eg Dancing With The Stars): a couple dancing a Viennese Waltz to the Thrones theme tune, dressed in appropriate costume…

5. Lina
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink

WOW LEX!!! That’s possibly the most amazing thing ANY of us Gatewatchers EVER contributed to WiC/the GoT fandom. Seriously, I don’t know I can even express how awesome it is. I want it on repeat, and I’ve already peddled it onto two people while writing this paragraph. Good work and thanks!! You are totally Bottom-Supporter of the Month in my book! :D

[As an off-topic note: While on your youtube channel I saw “stoned cat” and had to have a peek. That was hilarious/adorable. Hope your cat recovered quickly!]

So do what you want to do, I can’t stop that, nor am I going to tell you what to do – I hate people telling me what to do but I can assure you that any justifications that you want to use that illegaldownloads are alright for you are just bulldust.

Glad Conan wasn’t preaching, but glad he’s offering this look at downloading from an actor’s perspective. I also love that the title on his site banner is “7 Ft. Tall Stunt Actor.” Massive.

Good on you, Lord Ned’s Head (and nice witty blog name)! I’ve been working on setting up my own ASOIAF blog too…I’ve realized that my posts on WiC too often run on like books. :/ The more ASOIAF love out there, and the more buzz, the better, I say!

“You know, I’ve never…raped a woman before, which is a good thing…” OH MY GOD, I LOVE JASON MOMOA. Two reasons right at the front of my mind: 1. he’s not a rapist. 2. HE BEGINS HIS RESPONSE WITH THAT SENTENCE. Hahahaha, he’s fantastic.

Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Fabian Schneider: Indeed. If they offered their series in progress on iTunes, I’m sure more international viewers (like myself) would tune in.

As cool as this would be, HBO would never do it because it would violate their contracts with international networks. These contracts are very lucrative and are part of the reason S2 got a quick greenlight.

If (a big if) they were to add their series in progress on iTunes, it would have to be US only. But as Blargh stated above, even that is very, very unlikely because HBO is, for better or worse, closely allied with the cable companies.

7. Ashley Blackwoody
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:20 am | Permalink

N+L=J…
    wonder if they listened to the podcast

8. Renly's Ghost
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:20 am | Permalink

As someone who lives in Australia where Game of Thrones is NOT being shown on TV, I submit to Mr Stevens, who I respect greatly, that downloading is the only option until the series is released on DVD.

There is no question I will buy the show when it does come out on DVD as I’ve been a huge ASOIAF fan since I first read A Game of Thrones 11 years ago. However until that time I don’t think it’s criminal of me to download episodes. Surley Mr Stevens must understand that fans who have been looking forward to this show for years want it as soon as it comes out.

Technology exists, and everyone just has to adapt to it. Remember when home taping was killing cinema? Remember when Napster was going to bring down the music industry? Cinema adapted with bigger and better screens, 3D, paid online streaming etc, and nowadays most people get their music online thourgh itunes or something similar where the artists do get paid. TV needs to adapt itself to the modern era.

I personally have a collection of around 1000 CDs, vinyl records and DVDs, so no I don’t feel bad about downloading the odd thing, the artists of planet earth have already done very well out of me as I’m someone who supports the maintence of art in physical rather than digital forms.

If Game of Thrones was being shown ad-free on Australian TV WITHIN 24 hours of airing in the US then I wouldn’t download episodes, as it is not, I will. Then once it is out I will buy the DVD, and Mr Stevens along with all the other wonderful people involved in creating this show will get a cut.

9. Viking
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:23 am | Permalink

I appreciate where Conan is coming from and I would pay up for HBO/Sky Atlantic/… if I lived in the appropriate country or for online viewing.

That said, I live somewhere where we’re not even sure when Game of Thrones will air and I can not simply wait x months before I see the series whilst at the same time reading all the awesomeness of it all over the web.

As to whose fault is this? Well obviously the cable company in my country that bought the rights but has no dates as to when they’ll show it and my own impatience to see the show (Globalized world, internet are a major factor in my impatience to see it). I would have subscribed if they would’ve shown the episode in the same week as the HBO showing.

I remember that when The Phantom Menace came out that it wouldn’t be released in theaters for another 9 months after the US release. That was just too cruel so I downloaded it.

However when Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith where released on the same dates as in the US, I was more than happy enough to fork out the money to go see it in the theater.

So downloads it is. I will however buy the Blu-rays when released.

10. Kristen
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:29 am | Permalink

I really wish HBO had an on-demand online option. I would buy it in a heart beat.

On another note – LOVE the “Completely Unspoiled Speculation” thread on televisionwithoutpity. Some of the speculations there are fantastic (and honestly not ones I had considered when I first read the books) like the correlation between the wolves and their owners, i.e. Nymeria is run off so Arya ends up wandering lost as well. Although that doesn’t hold for Lady’s death and where Sansa ends up, etc. but still some really great stuff (right and wrong). Tons of Jon parentage guesses as well.

This one really got me though (by Dustin):

“Another theory I have is that Ned’s honor will backfire at the end of the season, something happens and because he’s to honorable he get’s exiled (because Cersei schemes or something). Then he can team-up with Dany and Khal Drogo, so far they seem to be pretty disconnected from the main story, it would be cool to see Ned with them. There are enough Starks to take care of Winterfell in his absence.”

And I laughed and cried a little inside.

11. Amused-To-Death
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:29 am | Permalink

Really love that unspoiled speculation thread. This was funny:

BIG SPOILER HERE!: Well, back to the point, that is clear symbolism which I’m sure people who knew the symbols/avatars of each house picked up on. That doesn’t bode well for Robert or Ned, or their families, but hey, he puppies were alive..and at this point only one (Lady) of the five is dead — wonder if that means Sansa is not long for this world and that Arya will be lost and wandering like her direwolf???

If the stag and direwolf is dead, I’m going to have to guess that Robert and Ned are going to be killed, and Sansa too–that would account for all the dead animals. OMG, I hope I’m wrong!! :(

Arya’s wolf is chased off. If the above happens, maybe she flees?

12. NickS
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:30 am | Permalink

loving the TWoP non-book speculation thread!

“the scariest wall to ever wall”… lol

13. Deagusser
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:35 am | Permalink

I’m surprised at how many people are already questioning jofferys parentage.
    I don’t about you all, but it came as a real shocker to me when i read the books, even with all the clues.

14. Mario Mjoed
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:47 am | Permalink

the problem with these non-reader forums is that at least half of the people are just pretending they dont know more than what the tv show showed so far. there is just NO way that they could guess (or know, especially times of wars etc.) SO exactly whats going on (and what will in 2-3 seasons/books)..

15. Eleanor
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Deagusser,

It seems to be universally accepted at this point. People are referring to it as if it’s already canon.

Must be the visuals. The breakfast scene probably clinched it.

16. Eleanor
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Mario Mjoed,

Disagree. Time of war is clear – “Seventeen years ago you went away with Robert Baratheon”. Sometimes people can simply be insightful! Didn’t your brain ever to go into excited analysis overdrive when a new show grabbed you? Plus, they’re bouncing all their ideas off against one another.

I honestly don’t think there are readers on that particular unspoiled thread.

17. userj
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Deagusser,

I think it’s the fact that it’s so visible when you’re actually seeing these blonde kids and their dark-haired dad… plus they added the scene with Cersei telling Cat about her dead black-haired boy who looked just like Robert (and not like their living kids)! That doesn’t come up in the books until much later – not until Ned tells her to leave KL and she admits to the incest.

Still, I agree with you! I hadn’t guessed this myself when I read… seems maybe 50% of book readers do.

18. Maxwell James
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Lex – that’s pretty damn awesome.

19. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Lex that kicks ass bro. Well done from a fellow guitarist! Wow. I got my own quick hits blurb! Better get that episode 2 recap done. Should have it up tonight!

20. Sam DeGree
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Speaking of music, we have something to look forward to on June 14th!

21. ernie
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Dude – Not to endorse further senseless censorship, but do we really want new readers/new series-ers (whatever) going to that comic strip? Canon or not, true or not, if someone had spoiled that theory before I got a chance to develop it myself … I’d be fuckin pissed.

You know it’s one of the most loved/debated ideas about the series. Don’t ruin it for the noobs.

Posted April 28, 2011 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Added this blurb to the post:

23. EvilPicnic
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 10:44 am | Permalink

I’m sure the Lord Ned’s Head review is insightful, but damn is it hard to read with that background…

Posted April 28, 2011 at 10:55 am | Permalink

ernie, you are right. That should have come with a spoiler warning. It is fixed now.

You see, FaB, he’s like an over-eager puppy. A lot of fun, has a lot of energy, and we love him for it… but sometimes he pees on the carpet. I will hit FaB on the nose with a rolled up newspaper for that one. ;)

25. OhDanyBoy
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Renly’s Ghost,

There is another option. Wait.

I personally have no problem with you downloading IF you are going to buy the Blurays later to support the show (and regardless of what people say, about 95% of downloaders will not do this). However, don’t say you don’t have a choice. It is unfair that your TV providers crapped the bed on this, but that’s just the way it goes.

Oh, and to the concept that someone brought up that Conan would see some money from your purchase of the Blurays, he won’t. A big production like this won’t be operating on a profit share basis. As such, the actors are already paid, and on a reduced scale because of the expected downloading problems. He might see some dividends in future seasons, but that is unlikely, as he is likely locked into a multiple year contract. Plus, even high Bluray sales may be offset by large downloading numbers, which can worry a production company.

26. Richard
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Viking, Totally agree with you. You speak from my heart

27. Eleanor
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming:

The comic’s only giving away a theory, but a comment near the top after that royal wedding article gives away MAJOR S3 spoilers. If possible add in brackets ‘comments contain spoilers’ after that link?

28. George
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Someone please explain this to me, it’s driving me crazy and I find no explanation in the web: how can Daenerys be 13 in the book and 15 in the series if the mad king, who is supposed to be her father, was deposed and killed 17 years before the events of the series began? How could he be dead before she was conceived?

29. Pietel
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Wow the unspoiled speculation is really great.. Because the tv-version is so much more condensed, there is indeed a lot of material for speculation. And the tv-makers know which details are the most relevant to show.
    Also, Sean Bean is too good of an actor. the goodbye sequence with Jon was acted so perfectly ambivalent it was sure to raise questions somewhere

30. Eleanor
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 11:21 am | Permalink

George:

Where does it say she’s 15 in the series?
    Keep in mind that not everybody is necessarily aged up at the same rate. For example, Rickon is 6 not 3, but Sansa is 13 not 11.

31. dizzy_34
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 11:22 am | Permalink

You know I love ya Lord Ned’s Head, but can we call you LNH until the season is over?

32. RG
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 11:33 am | Permalink

OhDanyBoy:

There is another option.Wait.

Oh, and to the concept that someone brought up that Conan would see some money from your purchase of the Blurays, he won’t.A big production like this won’t be operating on a profit share basis.As such, the actors are already paid, and on a reduced scale because of the expected downloading problems.He might see some dividends in future seasons, but that is unlikely, as he is likely locked into a multiple year contract.Plus, even high Bluray sales may be offset by large downloading numbers, which can worry a production company.

Well if Conan’s been paid a set fee then the number of people who download shouldn’t be of that much concern to him? Also there is a difference between the low-profile films he was making previously and something on this scale with a huge pre-existing fanbase hungry for the series. I was just trying to make the point that now all people who download stuff are scumbag leechers who refuse to fork over a few bucks for the movies/music/TV shows they love. It’s more complicated than that.

And waiting is an option, but not a very appealing one. Plus also I enjoy talking about the series and the show with my friends and family, many of whom I’ve turned on to GRRM’s works.

Well I can only speak for myself and the other Australian ASOIAF fans I know but we do all buy DVDs/Blu Rays.

33. Lina
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 11:35 am | Permalink

George:

I would say Dany is suppposed to be about 16-17 in the show, which then fits with the Rebellion 17 years ago. In the book she starts out as 13, but I’m sure her birth year and the year(s) of the Rebellion are calibrated to match up.

Posted April 28, 2011 at 11:38 am | Permalink

dizzy_34,
    Speaking of spoilerific names… *points up*

Anyway you could change your name, Renly’s Ghost?

35. RG
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Sorry, Winter!

36. Ricardo Filho
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

RG

You are not alone friend I’m with you.

Waiting is only an option for the people that have the good fortune to live in a place are the serie is aired and in fact already have watcher the serie.

I have all Mrs. Martin books and i already have signed the hbo to watch the serie, but here in the south we only have the chance do watch in end of may. So even when I’ m doing my share “of suport the bottom” i have to wait?! No really fair in my book, no even close.

I do not see the logic in this sytem that don’t really care at anything beside our money, They give to us only what they want when they want, and soo many people think this is fine, no my friends, it isn’t, and in the and it’s only when they start to lose that they begin to thought how to make the things right.

37. Donovan Charlemagne
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Color me slow, but i don’t get the “Always Support the Bottom” reference …

38. Les
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks everyone for the comments, and thanks FaB and WiC for all the publicity! :)

I was inspired by that piano vid. I recorded this pretty quickly, using only my ipod (and laptop afterwards). The song has been stuck in my head for two weeks, and I like it more every time I hear it. I hope to hear more cover versions on other instruments soon!

39. Mike Chair
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jeff T for providing the mp3 files!

Okay, I’m officially obsessed with this music.

Any chance one of you musical geniuses can support the bottom by creating a midi file for the piano version?

I have software that can convert the midi into sheet music.

Mike Chair is not a musical genius. He needs sheet music.

40. RG
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Also the trailer for Episode 3 has been posted online: http://youtu.be/CSxODw7y1AE

41. Phantomwriter05
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Ashley Blackwoody,

Sorry Lady Blackwoody …

But Ned+Cersei =Jon

It is known!

PS. If Lex goes to a Moot … Than I think he’s going to have panties flying his way.

So watch out brother!

42. kerning
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Mario Mjoed,

I am also astounded by the amazingly insightful (even if it may not be 100% correct) speculation going on at TWOP. However…I disagree that people are masquerading as non-readers.

As a reader, I too never guessed the parentage thing, or even clued into the connection of the animals (despite that not being entirely right). But in the visual medium, it is quite clear and emphasized. That, and while reading, I just kept on going–I didn’t have nearly as much time to puzzle over things, or had so many passionate strangers to bounce ideas around with. TV viewers are forced to wait a long week between each chunk of information, and in the meantime, they can brew on absolutely everything presented so far.

There’s been some shorthand going on for viewers to remember the various characters and houses–’the platinum blondes’ are the Targaryens, and the ‘blonds’ are the Lannisters. It follows they’ve lumped the Lannister kids in, and the question naturally arises.

43. Ashley Blackwoody
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Kristen:

This one really got me though (by Dustin):

And I laughed and cried a little inside.

I’m convinced that guy has read the books and is just poking fun at the posters. He made a comment about Sansa being all princes and unicorns, which describes book Sansa but tv Sansa has just been a gold digging brat. And he mentioned the prince taking Lyanna instead of the Mad King, which i do not believe has been clarified yet. Ticked me off, anyways.

thread’s also making me feel encredibly stupid- how so many people were putting these things together after 2 episodes when it took me ages to realise it. I bet after one clip of Loras and Renly, people will be like “they’re totally doing it”.

44. EvilPicnic
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Whilst neither amusing, nor good publicity for the show, I did find this piece… interesting when I found it earlier today.

Game of Thrones is so intense that cousins will beat each other up over their favourite characters!

45. ScottsdaleSam
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed the unspoilered speculation until I saw the book readers ruin it. They’ve deleted blatant spoiler posts from that thread, but fishy posts still pop up now and then from people who’ve obviously read the books. That whole TWoP GoT forum is drowning in spoilers. I just don’t see why some people feel the need to ruin it for everyone else.

46. ScottsdaleSam
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Ashley Blackwoody: And he mentioned the prince taking Lyanna instead of the Mad King, which i do not believe has been clarified yet. Ticked me off, anyways.

Isn’t he the guy who posted that:

Lyanna wasn’t raped

There’s no way you can get that from the TV series because they’ve barely mentioned her at all.

47. kerning
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Ashley Blackwoody,

Haha, but again the viewers will have a leg up on the readers–they’re going to play up that relationship. There ain’t going to be any doubt to who holds Loras’ favour!

48. Joakim
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

My two cents on file sharing..

It’s not as black and white as many (mostly people in suits) will have you believe. All those downloading your product aren’t potential buyers of your product. It’s a highly complex equation where one has to look at different aspects, especially the long term overall effect of sharing and exposure online.

There’s no way one can stop the torrent of bits and bytes. Fighting it is futile. The only thing one can do is adapt to this new era, or be left behind.

I’m not saying the suits should embrace sharing, but they need to seek out a way to capitalize on it. That’s obviously easier said than done, but I believe those who find that working formula will leave the old strivers behind.

Not suing your customers would be a start..

49. FromTheColdNorth
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Mike Chair,

I’d greatly appreciate if you’d share the sheet music.

50. Thomas Aagaard
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

The fact that many TVseries can be downloaded is the reason why I do own series on DVD… I don’t go out and spent x$ on a series I havent watched at least some of.
    But I buy the series I like…

And as many have pointed out: some of us live in a place where we can’t get HBO…
    I would happily pay to watch GoT online… (and the same goes for other series as well)

and another thing to remember is the hype… Its hard to hype a series thats not shown on TV… Hype will help the DVDsale… and realy help the booksales.

51. Eleanor
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Joakim:
    My two cents on file sharing..

Not suing your customers would be a start..

Can we please not have this mentality?

I wear a suit more days of the year than I don’t. We all have to make a living. I am more than my profession. I’m sure that everybody here will say the same about themselves.

52. Samantha Hirst
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Les,

I don’t think it would work on a flute, unless I recorded each line separately and then edited them together…….not to mention I’d have to bump it up an octave…..could have a go though, once I’ve found my mic. I think it’s in the loft tbh.

53. Shinyteapot
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Not watching trailers. I didn’t watch any for episode 2 and found it much easier to enjoy.

I do think a lot of things will be easier to spot in the show than the book- in the book, things get lost because there is so much else going on, and you’re enjoying all the description of this world. In the show, any visual aspect is constantly there reminding you of itself, whereas in a book you might not be reminded of details like that every single scene.

54. Joakim
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Eleanor,

I’m not sure what mentality you picked up from my comment. I’m all for the people involved in entertainment industries to make a living, or we’ll have no season 8 of Game of Thrones.

What I was trying to say is, for the entertainment industries to continue making a living, they will have to adapt to the new environment they find themselves in. Suing and fighting will clearly not solve the problem, especially in the long run. The ones who find ways to use sharing to their advantage will come out on top, is my bet.

I have a feeling HBO will do fine, more concerned about some others.

55. bgrahambo
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Regarding file sharing: The industry is essentially ignoring the new medium of media (digital + streaming), and they’re paying the price by trying to hold back the tide. Information is now shared globally and instantly. No amount of effort will put that genie back in the bottle. They have to move into the 21st century, or die a slow death as more and more people dump their huge cable bills in favor of internet only solutions.

It’s nice to hear a personal story like Conan’s, but I suspect that it misses the mark. People have certain expectations these days, and if those expectations are not met, it’s the studios fault for not having proper planning and preparations in place for the release. No matter how much you blame and shame people, they’ll download the show on release day however it’s available. Next time, make sure that the online choice for that isn’t the illegal one.

56. Tayleron
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

There’s a big spoiler in the comments of the Wedding post… I’m sure you can guess what that is.

57. Eleanor
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Joakim:
    Eleanor,

I have a feeling HBO will do fine, more concerned about some others.

Sorry, I’m pretty sure I overreacted there.
    I don’t like the term “suits” used for people who happen to have jobs requiring them to wear suits. It carries the suggestion that they are no more than their jobs. That, for example, they can’t be ASOIAF fans!

58. Joakim
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Realised that my use of the term “suits” was unfortunate. I was solely referring to powerful decision makers in the industry. Sorry if I offended.

59. Mike Chair
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

FromTheColdNorth: I’d greatly appreciate if you’d share the sheet music.

I’d need the midi first.

60. dizzy_34
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

It doesn’t bother me so much in the comments because anyone who visiting these posts will come across a spoiler eventually. You guys can’t be on all the time, but LNH’s name is put it in the post.

61. Eric DeBruin
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

I personally subscribe to HBO, but I don’t fault those that torrent the show.

Not everyone has ~$125 / month to invest just for one show (you need to be subscribed to premium cable as well). If they offered the actual standalone HBO subscription, that would be an entirely different situation; unfortunately, that isn’t the case.

62. axia777
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Blargh:
    From Conan’s blog post:

THIS X 1,000,000. I would stop downloading if I could get the shows and ONLY the shows I like from the Internet. I would pay for them via a service like Netflix. Otherwise they can all get F*KKED. Cable is over priced, crowded with pure and utter garbage shows/channels that we are forced to pay for because cable companies are PIGS. Oh, and commercials can burn as well.

I also can’t get HBO unless I pay for some hugely bloated cable TV package. I refuse to play their game. I will buy the Blu Ray discs when they come out from Amazon.

As for movies, I refuse to pay the overly inflated prices for food and tickets. It is beyond ridiculous how much it costs to go to the movies these days. Screw that. Blu Ray movies on my HDTV all the way.

Sorry Mr. Stevens, but your chosen industry refuses to acknowledge customers such as I and that is the REALITY of the situation.

63. Avalanche3319
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Dont have much time before work so I’ve only read a couple pages of the TWOP thread, but it’s awesome to see the show inspiring the same kind of speculation the book does. Thats a credit to D&D for sure. Also I said it in the Dance thread but it bears repeating, that is awesome Lex!

64. LNH
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34,

Don’t mind that at all Diz.

65. LNH
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34,

The name of the blog though isn’t nearly as spoilerific. Headlines don’t spoil anything ;P

66. dizzy_34
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

LNH,

Right, we can just blame Fabio :)

67. Les
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Lina:
    WOW LEX!!!That’s possibly the most amazing thing ANY of us Gatewatchers EVER contributed to WiC/the GoT fandom.Seriously, I don’t know I can even express how awesome it is.I want it on repeat, and I’ve already peddled it onto two people while writing this paragraph.Good work and thanks!!You are totally Bottom-Supporter of the Month in my book!

[As an off-topic note:While on your youtube channel I saw “stoned cat” and had to have a peek.That was hilarious/adorable.Hope your cat recovered quickly!]

Wow, thanks Lina! I didn’t expect such a positive reaction, but I’m glad you enjoyed it! And glad you enjoyed my stoned cat. Her name is Mithril, and yes, she recovered. :)

Posted April 28, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

LOL, just realized I was posting as “Les”.

69. Sawyer
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Can someone play the theme song on a harmonica? (:

70. Fire And Blood
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Winter…?

Winter…!

Can you let me out of the pen?

I need to–

Aw, man.

71. Rutep
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Hmm, I was reading the CompletelyUnspoiledSpeculation thread, and this early comment:

Remember when Ned was all, “you’re the king and my best friend and all, but I will never tell you anything about Jon Snow’s mother?” And how Tyrion Lannister is going out of his way to desensitize Jon about the whole bastard thing (you don’t need whores where the men are chaste; the Wall is obviously out of his way)? Jon Snow’s parentage makes him seriously important.

as well as another comment I saw somewhere (can’t remember where) regarding the Jon/Jaime scene in Ep2 and the interest/note Jaime takes of Jon as a fighter, got me thinking… Jaime was Aerys’s Kingsguard for years (right? I forget how much time went by between the tourney at Harrenhal and Roberts rebellion) and by extension Rhaegar’s Kingsguard as well, along with the three Ned met at the Tower of Joy. Could Jaime possibly have been in on any of Rhaegar’s secrets? Are the show producers trying to tell us something with the mentioned scene? Does Jaime know? Does Tyrion know, even? Or am I forgetting something from the books that contradicts that?

72. Chris
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Eric DeBruin: While piracy does prevent some HBO subscriptions, it generates popularity and indirectly increases DVD / Bluray sales. Firefly wouldn’t have become the cult phenomenon it was without it.

Maybe not the best example :)

73. Rutep
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Rutep,

On second thought, that’s not likely. If Jaime knew, he had every reason to tell Robert to break their friendship, at least after Ned came to court and started poking his nose in uncomfortable places.

74. Bro
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Re the noobies guessing at stuff, one of my friends came over today to watch the first episode. She hasn’t read any of the books but she amazed me at how much she caught. She immediately jumped on R+L=J and also that Cersei’s kids are Jaimes I said absolutely nothing but inside I was doing happy little dance moves. Plus she kept asking when the dragon eggs were gonna hatch! And the insest scene completely shocked and disgusted her.
    The minute epsiode 1 ended she asked for episode 2, so I was only too happy to oblige. During Joffs scene, she said and I quote “I want to kick that little f****r in the b***s”, started yelling at Cersei during the trial scene and nearly punched the screen when Sansa betrayed her sister and got upset when Lady was offed So she loves the Starks, especially Jon (she doesn’t like the fact that we won’t get to see him naked because he’ll be celibate, or so she thinks!), Tyrion and Dany. But she called Cersei a lying f*****g incestuous bitch, Jaime a f*****g bastard, Sansa a little bitch and for Joff, well see above!
    She also told me she doesn’t trust Theon.
    O god I love this show so much it hurts.

75. Langkard
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

Bro: or so she thinks!)

I think this is a testimony to the genius of D&D at converting the book to the screen. It’s also a result of the great acting and directing. If someone who hasn’t read the books can pick up on things so well – things which would normally require pages of internal character dialogue and narrative to figure out, then this show has succeeded at doing something very rare indeed.

And I loved the guitar version by Lex Shreds. Sounds great to a 52-year old who grew up on the beginnings of heavy metal.

76. Becky Wilson
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Reading new fans theorize is now my new favorite game. They’re so -adorable-. So innocent. It almost makes me sad…

77. Aryas Horse Charle
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

I subscribe to HBO (and have for a long time), and even though they show the episodes just one day after the US airing, and have more than 3 repeats weekly, I do torrent. I just want to watch my favourite scenes over and over again.

Thats maybe a luxury reserved for when you buy the DVDs, but theyre not out yet (I’ll buy them).

I do understand where Conan’s coming from, but a reason why HBO negociates a lower salary is *also* due to an inefficiency on the company’s part to capitalize on new media.

In that sense, downloaders are either people who have neither the means nor will ever buy a specific content legally, people for whom that content is already available on TV (and may have missed the airing or simply prefer their own viewing time), people for whom content may be made available in future, but who are impatient and people who have the means but not the will to buy said content.

From the above, only the latter group will cause damages to potential profit, but there’s no way to estimate the proportions of each group and faulty corporate decisions are bound to arise. Keep in mind that there’s always some percentage of piracy, it won’t be eliminated completely. Actors get hurt in the process. But to say it’s the downloaders fault… well, it’s more complex than that.

Aaaand, changing the topic completely: The unspoiled speculation thread is really fun to read. I’m a bit bummed at how subtle hints from the book translate to “HINT, oh look, IT’S A HINT!” in a visual medium…

78. Aryas Horse Charle
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Donovan Charlemagne,

oh… *pulls out historian glasses*
    W-i-C was sent that promotional scent package by HBO (before the launch of the Maesters path website) and after he posted pictures, people began overanalyzing every detail. On a parchment, something that looked like faded letters, got translated as “Always support the Bottom”. After some pondering over this elusive hint from HBO and captivated by its poetic prowess, people adopted it as the official motto of House Gatewatch.

79. DianeK
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

I had a long day and just read some of the stuff posted today so I’m joining the discussion a bit late…I don’t know who the hell that actor is who’s whining about illegal downloading, but I’m so ticked off about this whole thing I don’t think I’m gonna be able to get to sleep…

I was seriously on my way to quitting cable — $80/month for nothing on! But I so wanted to see this series…so instead I’m now  paying $90/month for this ONE show.  I feel like the biggest sucker in the world.

And because not everybody is a sucker like me, it ends up being the #1 illegal download…no kidding?

I’d like to tell that guy a few things (like what’s really bulldust here) but there is no Comment option on that page…Hey, let’s make a great film and then make sure only a fraction of the world can watch it — what a  brilliant idea! They certainly didn’t teach us that in my Economics 101 class. (Btw, how’s that working out?)

Oh and to the person above who says “you have the option to wait”…I’ll bite my tongue and just say that I’d hate to see what the state of the world would be today if that was the attitude we lived by the past hundred years. (Kind of reminds me of those who defend drug companies who create a life saving drug and then make it so expensive you can’t afford it — you don’t have to buy the drug, and so  what if you die…)

Okay, I’m going to bed (yes I’m getting up for the royal wedding), I think I’ll rant another 10,000 words on this topic in my blog tomorrow.

Posted April 28, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

Not sure if this will work (never tried to create a download link before), but here is a link to the mp3 (slightly improved version, fixed a couple mistakes).

81. Elena Amici
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

Lex,

it works :D
    thank you!

Posted April 29, 2011 at 2:08 am | Permalink

The Bjork Brothers asked my permission to use the song on their podcast. Cool!

83. Larry D Curtis
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 2:22 am | Permalink

Renly’s Ghost: echnology exists, and everyone just has to adapt to it.

This is correct, absolutely true. However, technology is killing industries left and right. The music industry is more or less bleeding out. Newspapers, film, books and all other manner of industries have been gutted by technology.

It will continue and it will be fascinating to see how it all shakes out.

84. Larry D Curtis
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 2:35 am | Permalink

Lex,

Awesome!

85. Larry D Curtis
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 2:45 am | Permalink

If anybody is still reading this thread it should be mentioned that HBO’s parent company, Warners, values NOT giving its content away. It is a company wide bragging point, or it was in a Warners board meeting that I got / had to listen to. You will notice on Netflix, for example, that HBO’s series are not streaming. You can get the discs via mail, but as far as I can tell, no streaming HBO series are available.

In contrast, Showtime makes, for example, Dexter Season 1 & 2 available streaming and then requires you to make other arrangements. They try to hook you with content, as do most networks (AMC “The Killing” worked just that way on me this season) while HBO tries to hook you with exclusivity. Different business and content models.

HBOGO is pretty great.

86. Larry D Curtis
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 3:06 am | Permalink

Kristen: LOVE the “Completely Unspoiled Speculation” thread on televisionwithoutpity. Some of the speculations there are fantastic

Another post from me that will never get read (when new news arrives tomorrow and all the regulars have moved on) but, I agree completely. I read the whole thing tonight and it was great fun. I even registered to tell them how much I enjoyed it, but I was forbidden from posting in that thread, which is a great move by the website.

They are calling themselves “House Spit Ball” which is pretty great IMHO. They don’t have a coat of arms or a slogan yet, but they seem to get the show perfectly and make some astute observations from clues in the show.

It made me respect the show’s writing more.

A.S.T.B.

87. The_Rabbit01
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 3:11 am | Permalink

Lex,

Lex is going to be a star!
    Guitar hero ;)

88. Anne
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 3:25 am | Permalink

If anyone is interested there is a blog on Tor.com (http://www.tor.com/features/series/a-read-of-ice-and-fire) where Leigh Hunter is reading ‘A Game of Thrones’ for the first time and posting a chapter by chapter review/comment. The ones I have read are well written, amusing and insightful. It is posted on a Friday and the last one (No 5) covered Bran and Tyrion (the fall and the slap).
    On the subject of downloads – I have recently bought a dish and DStv decoder specifically to watch the series (bought by M-Net series (South Africa) but have been unable to get any response from them as to when it will air so at the moment I am on the cheapest package they have.
    Yes, I have seen downloaded versions of the first two episodes but the quality is not very good and I will be first in line to buy the DVDs.

89. Pepi
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 3:52 am | Permalink

Damn… That guitar version of the GoT theme is awesome! Respect to the author. I’ve already set it as my ringtone. :D

90. Kristen
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Ashley Blackwoody,

I didn’t see his other posts – that DOES seem like a pretty long way to reach, especially when, afaik, Rhaegar hasn’t even been mentioned. Oh well. I’m sure there’s a few people that will try to throw out suggestive “hints” (sadly).

And Bro – LOL, love your friend already. It makes me feel silly that people are guessing pretty on par with a lot of the relationships, or close when it took me such a long time to put 2 and 2 together in the books.

91. Bro
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 8:43 am | Permalink

Langkard,
    Kristen,
    He he, I know. I was laughing gleefully inside the entire time and when she kept coming out with those things I just wanted to hug her to death and then track D&D down and hug them to death (well not really seeing as we need them for the rest of the seasons!) But yeh, it’s all down to great scripting and acting.
    Now I think I’ll wonder off and cry tears of sheer happiness (this never happens so this is pretty big for me) :L

92. Brother Wolf
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 10:17 am | Permalink

I second the props for Jeff T. He’s the one who suggested the books to me in the first place.

93. Donovan Charlemagne
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Aryas Horse Charle, ah, thanks!

94. Chris77
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

But even as a European it is possible, albeit not totally legal to set up an itunes account in the states (fake adress, use US gift cards from ebay), so we could at least pay for it.

Lex, this is so awesome, could someone upload it to audiko.net, so we can have it as an iphone ringtone?

95. Peltast
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

The guitar version of the theme is so awesome that it’s going on my phone as my ringtone right now. Seriously, good job dude! :O

96. dimensionallyT
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

I vote that this guitar version replace the pap currently in the credits. It is pretty damn fine! Just goes to show the difference a bit of oomph makes. The original is so insipidly dull!

97. EvilPicnic
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Larry D Curtis:
    If anybody is still reading this thread it should be mentioned that HBO’s parent company, Warners, values NOT giving its content away.It is a company wide bragging point, or it was in a Warners board meeting that I got / had to listen to.You will notice on Netflix, for example, that HBO’s series are not streaming.You can get the discs via mail, but as far as I can tell, no streaming HBO series are available.

In contrast, Showtime makes, for example, Dexter Season 1 & 2 available streaming and then requires you to make other arrangements.They try to hook you with content, as do most networks (AMC “The Killing” worked just that way on me this season) while HBO tries to hook you with exclusivity.Different business and content models.

HBOGO is pretty great.

I can understand some of the logic behind that strategy, but surely if a potential customer is unable to access content because of ‘exclusivity’ in the short term, they are more likely to turn to alternative means of access to that content which perhaps don’t have some sort of revenue stream for Time Warner? I dunno…

Once again, massive props to Lex for his awesome guitarness [bows down] and I am now tres excited about this OST release. Are there many other WiC musicians? Maybe we could try to record some other tracks and make a set :p or a competition perhaps? During a fallow period between seasons. :D

98. Samantha Hirst
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

EvilPicnic,

I play the flute and I’ve been having a go with the opening theme, but I’ve had to bump it up a couple of octaves to get the lower bass stuff in and it kind of kills it. It now sounds like something you’d hear for Tinkerbell’s theme rather than GoT. Not to mention I’m also struggling to get it right…….sheet music would be rather useful right now, as I never was very good at listening to stuff and then accurately playing it back – probably why I always failed my aural in the ABRSMs. XD

99. Mirax
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Rhaegar has been mentioned by name in Ep 2 when Robert and Ned are talking about Dany’s wedding. While I didn’t think it was clear who Rhaegar was, I did think it was implied he was someone other than the king.

Posted April 29, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks again for the comments. I’m really surprised by the positive reaction!

I wish I could provide sheet music or a good tab, but I’ve always learned best by ear. For this song, I just listened a couple times with my guitar in hand. To be honest, it only took about 15 minutes!

I did provide the chords (for the rhythm section) in the youtube comments, but as for the lead melody… you guys are on your own! :)

PS Just a reminder to check the link above (also in the youtube video) for a slightly fixed/improved mp3.

101. Samantha Hirst
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Lex,

I’m the other way around – I learn by looking at a sheet of music and playing it again and again until I have it memorized. I just don’t have a good ear for tonality and all that jazz. Probably a good thing I never auditioned for the conservatoires – they would have eaten me alive. XD

102. Nazgul
    Posted April 30, 2011 at 6:23 am | Permalink

Just wanted to point out this metal version on the theme song :)

103. loco73
    Posted April 30, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

I was really wrong about the music in the series and Ramin Djawadi. When I first saw this man’s credits I was not impressed, and thought that the music could end up being mediocre at best, nevermind the fact that he was hired with quite a short time before the show was due to air (or maybe Steven Warbeck had already left months before and HBO just made the announcement at the beginning of 2011).

Boy, I am glad I was soo wrong, I will eat whatever shitty words and criticisms I levelled against the man. So far he has aquitted himself brilliantly with the soundtrack of the show. That bit in the second episode when Jon Snow says goodbye to Bran brought tears to my eyes…

Can’t wait for the sountrack, I will proudly purchase it and add it to “Band Of Brothers”, “ROME”, “John Adams” and “The Pacific”. The music reminds me in parts of the “Kingdom Of Heaven” soundtrack, and I mean that as a big compliment, besides both Ramin Djawadi and Harry Gregson-Williams were Hans Zimmer alumns.

I want June 14 to come sooner damn it!

Posted April 30, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

loco73,

I agree, I’m liking the score so far. In the first episode, I like the music when Robert arrives in Winterfell. I also like the eerie music when they discover the direwolf pups. I also love the music when Bran is climbing at the very end.

In the second episode, I like the music in Bran’s bedroom scenes (sounds like a variation of the earlier Winterfell theme from Episode 1).