Thrones ratings on the rise in US, steady in UK
By Winter Is Coming on in News.

More good news on the ratings front! James Hibberd of Entertainment Weekly is reporting that the viewer total for the initial airing of Game of Thrones has risen this week compared to the previous two weeks, from roughly 2.2 million viewers to 2.4 million viewers.

HBO should kill a wolf every week!

Despite the previous week’s untimely direwolf death that rankled some viewers, HBO’s Game of Thrones rose in the ratings for the first time Sunday night. The show’s Sunday’s 9 p.m. airing was seen by 2.4 million, up from the past two weeks’ 2.2 million.

Sunday night’s airings may have been impacted somewhat by Osama bin Laden’s death announcement on the West Coast, though the show had finished on the East Coast before the news leaked.

Meanwhile, across the pond, Digital Spy reports that the ratings for Thrones held steady on Sky Atlantic.

Game of Thrones steadied its UK audience to around 510k last night for Sky Atlantic, early viewing figures indicate.

Starring Sean Bean, the medieval fantasy drama – recently renewed by US network HBO for a second season – grabbed 506k (1.9%) in the 9pm hour for its latest installment ‘Lord Snow’.

Winter Is Coming: Good news all around! The US number is rising, which is great. And it may have even risen more if the Osama news didn’t overshadow the West Coast showing, as Hibberd notes. It will be interesting to see next week’s numbers with no holiday and no huge news to detract from the total.

And in the UK, Thrones hasn’t been able to hold onto the huge 750k+ opening figure, but 510k still makes Thrones Sky Atlantic’s top rated show. As long as the show holds steady, I think Sky will be very pleased.

UPDATE: Hibberd has added the numbers for the 11 PM encore showing. He also reports on the new sum of total viewers for the premiere.

Combined with the 11 p.m. airing, the show climbed to 3.1 million viewers, well above the previous standard of 2.9 million. Meanwhile Thrones premiere episode has climbed up to 8.7 million viewers via all the HBO platforms.

UPDATE 2: Adam Whitehead notes that the total cumulative viewers for the premiere in the UK has been released and the numbers stands at 1.8 million.

1. fuelpagan
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Great news.

Was a little worried about the Bin Laden news impacting the ratings, but it looks like we won’t have to be making excuses. This is fantastic, just as we get the the juicy stuff. I’ve felt like I’ve been holding my breath the last couple weeks.

2. Ryan John
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Count me as one of those who finally was around on a Sunday night to watch it live, but its certainly encouraging to see those numbers go up. Is it too much to hope/expect a bigger jump next week due to the news of Bin Laden’s death possibly affecting West Coasters?

3. The Rabbit
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Just so!

4. sjwenings
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Seems like GOT is at least a mild success for this first season, all things considered. Had hoped for higher US ratings, ofcourse, but man… a “geeky fantasy show”? It sure could’ve been worse.

5. SergioCQH
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Very good news. Slow and steady build-up is the way to go.

6. Knurk
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:26 am | Permalink

No report on the accumalated viewership of last week? Curious to see if the show can keep that number around 7 million, or better yet climb to the 10 million BE got.

Aside of that, nothing better for your buzz than rising ratings! (Please tell me Treme’s numbers tripled this week…?)

7. sjwenings
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Ryan John,

Yeah, Hibberd and others seem to expect/hope for a jump in ratings next sunday due to that dead guy.

Probably won’t be much, though(?) I would be happy with any upward tendencies.

8. nattie
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Is it possible to find the ratings for HBO Canada or HBO Central Europe?

9. JRQ
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

…and there would have been one more viewer if I hadn’t had in-laws to entertain Sunday night. So instead I watched it Monday 3 times on HBO GO….which I was delighted to discover is now supported by my comcast subscription.

Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Knurk, hopefully we will get the encore numbers soon. Assuming a lot of West Coasters watched the Osama coverage at 9 PM, than the 11 PM viewer total should be sizable.

11. Stuff_of_Legend
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:33 am | Permalink

That is truly fantastic news…the trend seems to be the exact opposite of what many expected, which was a big premiere rating due to the heavy promotion/free DirectTV weekend, followed by a severe drop as the “non-fantasy” fans tuned out. This looks, instead, to possibly be following the True Blood trend, which is very very good news (talking about ratings only…not quality ;-)).

12. John Keady
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:40 am | Permalink

What’s good about the Osama news cutting into things this week is that next week, what could have been a steady number may now be a rise and provide momentum.

13. dizzy_34
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink

You sure there won’t be another national emergency story next Sunday? They seems to happen on a weekly basis now-a-days. Those poor people in Alabama are an afterthought after Sunday night. Good news on the rating though. I’m predicting the 3-4 million mark by the finale.

14. SergioCQH
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:48 am | Permalink

15. Eleanor
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Excellent, excellent news!

16. Knurk
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:58 am | Permalink

8.7 million total for the premier, that’s the number I was hoping for!!!

17. greenie88
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

The GOT/Treme pairing really has no synergism. I’m not interested in Treme and those really interested in Treme may not be interested in GOT. I know Treme is a quality show, but I’m more interested in logging in and reading message boards than sticking around for Treme. It sounds to me Treme may not survive this season and it has me wondering what new show they may use next year as a lead-in or follower for GOT. Theoretically, a True Blood/GOT or BE/GOT would dominate but it would never happen–TB is their summer hit and BE is their Fall workhorse.

18. sjwenings
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

SergioCQH: Apparently the encore showing got around 0.7 million again. I think everyone is way overestimating the impact outside events have on the ratings.

Apparently… Hm. Thats just really weird, i’d say. The biggest newsstory for the US in years, and it has little or no impact?

Edit: Actually… Though some westcoasters surely waited for the 11 airing, some also would have chosen not to watch GOT at all that night and rather party in the streets or watch more Bin laden news. So these factors might have evened each other out.

19. Ro
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

If you missed it at 9 due to the OBL news, it doesn’t mean you caught it at 11. More likely, you were fascinated by the news for the rest of the evening and you simply DVR’d the show for later.

20. Prankster
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

I’m amazed people are still downplaying the ratings here as a “mild” success. Growing its audience is a pretty amazing achievement for GoT, one that very few HBO shows can lay claim to. 8.7 million viewers for the premiere is, if I’m not mistaken, one of the higher cumulative ratings for an HBO show (and after all that hand-wringing…) And there’s still the fact that individual ratings just aren’t that crucial to HBO shows. Still waiting on that subscription data.

All in all, the show is moving past “solid success” and into the realm of a legitimate hit (in the US–it’s already a hit overseas). My dream of an extra-long S3 is looking more and more possible…

21. garik16
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

sjwenings,

Remember, the news came out before Obama’s speech by a good 30 minutes. People could just simply have decided not to watch the speech itself.

22. Tony
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Next Sunday is Mother’s day is it not? That is a holiday. :) But what better gift to give a mother than the opportunity to watch Game of Thrones?

23. Balerion
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

There was a BIG MISTAKE in episode 3:

When Ned Stark and Vaserys met, Varys said to Eddard “I hope for Joffrey’s full recovery…”. I hope he ment “Bran’s full recovery”.

Anyone else noticed that???

24. SergioCQH
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Balerion:
    There was a BIG MISTAKE in episode 3:

Anyone else noticed that???

There’s no mistake. Varys was referring to the troubles on the Kingsroad.

25. blurg
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Joffrey got attacked by the direwolf. Varys meant that.

ETA: High five, Sergio!

26. Pepi
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Balerion,

Nope, as sick as it may sound, it’s correct. Joffrey got bitten by a direwolf, poor prince. That’s why Ned responds by saying: “Too bad you didn’t pray for the butcher’s boy.”(or something like that)

edit: ah… refresh before post, i always forget that :/

27. Chaos Bleeds
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Balerion,

Balerion:
    There was a BIG MISTAKE in episode 3:

Anyone else noticed that???

Don’t think it was a mistake. Never read the books and my bf has been telling me that when I watch the show to try to figure out the meanings behind what they are saying. IOW pretend that everyone is a snobby HS girl, who tries to hurt you with what they AREN’T saying. With that in mind, I took that to mean, “I hope Jeffrey makes a fill recovery, because I can promise you none of us here care even a little about that dead other boy, or your two daughters.”

Again not a reader, so I don’t know if I’m right or not yet.

28. The Young Wolf
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

8.7 M for the premier? Yes!
    Plus the ratings go up? Even better!
    Game of Thrones season 1 will go down as a ratings success. It is known.

29. Mike Chair
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Prankster: the announcement came halfway through GoT’s airing

I didn’t see the news until (1) after I watched Episode three, (2) after I posted here, and (3) after I watched the Arya/Syrio scene again on DVR.

Winter Is Coming: Meanwhile Thrones premiere episode has climbed up to 8.7 million viewers via all the HBO platforms.

That is goooood.

30. Christopher W Daniel
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Balerion,

Varys meant the little nibble on the Prince’s wrist.

31. Mike Chair
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Balerion: There was a BIG MISTAKE in episode 3:

Anyone else noticed that???

No mistake:

The councillor Ned liked least, the eunuch Varys, accosted him the moment he entered. “Lord Stark, I was grievous sad to hear about your troubles on the kingsroad. We have all been visiting the sept to light candles for Prince Joffrey. I pray for his recovery.” His hand left powder stains on Ned’s sleeve, and he smelled as foul and sweet as flowers on a grave.

GOT: Eddard IV

It is known.

32. sjwenings
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

The Young Wolf: 8.7 M for the premier? Yes!

Posted May 3, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

The Young Wolf:
    8.7 M for the premier? Yes!
    Plus the ratings go up? Even better!
    Game of Thrones season 1 will go down as a ratings success. It is known.

At this point, I think it’s fair to call GOT a success.

1. A commercial success (sounds like they’re gonna make some $)
    2. A critical success (the critics love it)
    3. A popular success (the masses love it)
    4. A successful adaptation (the hardcore book-fans love it)

GREAT SUCCESS! <— (Borat voice)

34. Prankster
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Mike Chair,

I actually edited my post because I’m not clear if I got the timeline for the announcement right. I think the issue is that people on the west coast got the announcement before GoT aired, which might indeed have affected the ratings (for Sunday. I’m sure plenty of people DVRed or OnDemanded it).

35. Leroy
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Episodes 5, 6, and 7 will be epic. You readers know what I’m talking about.

36. JRQ
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Varys is well-informed, but he’s not THAT well informed. Arya, Joff, and Sansa are the only ones who really know what happened at the trident, and their stories are either inconsistent or not forthcoming. Without clear details, Joff really does look like the victim. And Varys probably doesn’t know yet exactly where Ned stands in his attitude toward the King’s family..at best he may have suspicions that he may be looking to confirm or deny by observing Ned’s reaction…..expressing his concern about Joffrey to Ned is EXACTLY the right and smart thing to say.

37. Who Is Jacopo Belbo?
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

the only mistake i could see in the episode was when Cersei was bandaging Joffrey’s arm the bite marks A. did not look like a wolf bite and B. were too high up the arm, when he was bit he was bit much lower down the arm almost the hand.

but Varys was definitely talking about the wolf attack on snotty-pants on the KR because doesn’t Ned say something about “you should have spared a thought for the butcher’s boy” or something like that in response?

38. Nakmal
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Balerion,

This post is completely useless as I did not refresh before commenting. WAHOooooooooooo

39. Clob
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Leroy: If you read the book in “episode length chunks” you can get a fairly accurate guess of what will occur in each episode.Episodes 5, 6, and 7 will be epic. You readers know what I’m talking about.

That’s been my thought since I watched this past episode. SO much stuff happens from the current point to the end of the first book. It’s gonna be a fun ride. Looking at the numbers the show hasn’t lost many non-readers that decided too early that this show wasn’t for them, which happens so much with tv. That’s fortunate for them, knowing what’s ahead of us.

40. SergioCQH
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Leroy:

Episodes 5, 6, and 7 will be epic. You readers know what I’m talking about.

You mean episodes 5, 6, and 7 will be great, and 8, 9, and 10 will be epic.

41. Leroy
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

SergioCQH: You mean episodes 5, 6, and 7 will be great, and 8, 9, and 10 will be epic.

This series is going to be like a freight train. Slow to start but once it gets rolling, there ain’t nothing that is going to stop it. The word of mouth at the end of this season is going to insure incredible DVD sales and I’ll bet good money that season 2 more than doubles season 1′s views / subscribers.

42. Superdeluxe
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

This is great!!

43. serarthurdayne
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

sjwenings: Not impressed. This is lower than the average BE episode, despite being the debut episode.

you mad dumb, son

44. Tom
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

You might want to do some research bud.

45. sjwenings
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Tom: You might want to do some research bud

As twittered by WiC

46. rufus
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Tom: You might want to do some research bud.

Well since you’ve done the research, mind cluing in the rest of us? What were the numbers for the average BE episode?

47. Stephen Berry
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I have to agree with Tom-
    No way was BE getting 9 million viewers an ep. That’d be insane! In fact, wasn’t it around a third of that?

48. Hollyoak
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

And TV.com:

49. Syrio
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

8.7 is not the final number for that episode, so you can’t compare to BE’s final numbers that had months to build up to that number.

Let’s wait till July and see what the numbers are for each episode. I bet the first episode will go over the 10 million mark by then.

50. SergioCQH
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Stephen Berry:
    Yeah, I have to agree with Tom-
    No way was BE getting 9 million viewers an ep.That’d be insane!In fact, wasn’t it around a third of that?

Those numbers linked above include On Demand viewings as well. Initial showing numbers for Boardwalk Empire averaged around 3.5 million.

51. Franny Bee
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Four more years of Conservative gov’t here in Canada, but GoT viewership is on the rise. At least I’ll see Cersei imprisoned by the next election :/

52. Ro
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Comparing with Boardwalk Empire is a non-starter and I don’t know why people continue to do it. Boardwalk Empire is EXACTLY the type of show targeted to the viewer who signs up for HBO. Provided that it’s a good show, OF COURSE it’s going to draw in a good portion of its subscriber base for viewings. Game of Thrones is the opposite and it has ALWAYS been understood that it would be a “build-your-audience” type show. Even the HBO execs have said the same thing in as many words. Why are we comparing to Boardwalk Empire? Silly.

53. Hollyoak
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

greenie88:
    The GOT/Treme pairing really has no synergism. I’m not interested in Treme and those really interested in Treme may not be interested in GOT.I know Treme is a quality show, but I’m more interested in logging in and reading message boards than sticking around for Treme.It sounds to me Treme may not survive this season and it has me wondering what new show they may use next year as a lead-in or follower for GOT.Theoretically, a True Blood/GOT or BE/GOT would dominate but it would never happen–TB is their summer hit and BE is their Fall workhorse.

Very interesting observation. I watched Treme last year, but my wife and I haven’t even watched an episode of this season. It’s good, but a really different kind of drama. I’m sure I’ll watch, but I’m in no hurry.

54. fafhrd
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Who Is Jacopo Belbo?,

I’m intrigued by your certainty regarding the incorrect positioning of the bite marks and the corresponding uncertainty regarding the remarks about the butchers boy.

55. sjwenings
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Syrio: The total views for each episode will continue to go up as the season progresses. It was in the 7.5 million range last week and now it’s 8.7 million this week, which means word of month is getting people to watch in on demand etc.

Sure, sure, ok. I didnt really expect it to grow much more at all after over two weeks, but i guess word of mouth might do quite a bit.

Still not impressed, but i never really expected to be. Thrones seems to be doing well enough – assuming ratings will rise some, at least.

56. Anvil
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Stephen Berry:
    Yeah, I have to agree with Tom-

Boardwalk Empire Finale (9:04pm, 59 minutes)
    - 3.294 million viewers
    - 2.0/3 HH
    - 1.3/3 A18-49

Still +1 million viewers for the first airing of Boardwalk Empire finale (numbers for the rest of the season vary between 2.9 and 4.8 for the premiere according the the source above) and maybe these 9 million refer to the numbers count on all platforms and repeatings, so GoT is doing not too shabby.

57. Josh Parker
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

I wonder why we’re concerned about week-to-week ratings when a second season has already been ordered. Season-end ratings will be what we should be watching for. The week-to-week stuff will go up and down but if it ends on a high-note, we’ll most likely get a third season.

58. SergioCQH
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker:

We’re concerned because we’re fucking obsessed with every facet of this show.

Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

SergioCQH: We’re concerned because we’re fucking obsessed with every facet of this show.

LOL, so true. :)

60. Eleanor
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

SergioCQH,

I heart your brutal honesty.

61. Tom
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Weather has a lot to do with it too I imagine. Wasn’t BE in the winter? Its viewer ship also dropped through the season did it not?

My bad on the numbers. I had in my head that the premier beat the average BE rating. We all know it will be hard for GOT to match BE overall anyway. BE is one of the biggest shows HBO has ever had.

62. sjwenings
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

The GOT premiere episode has grossed a total of 8.7 so far.

The BE episodes averaged at 10.7 (The premiere a lot more)

And yes – both numbers include repeat and on demand viewings.

63. daveb
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Hollyoak: Two interesting articles about sex in Thrones. Vanity Fair, which is really wonky:

Wow, this one is quite unforgiving. And there are some facts that are just plain wrong in it.

1) The writer makes it seem like he’s seen Jason Momoa’s bare ass no less than 500 times. As far as I can remember, we saw it once. (Please correct me if I’m wrong).
    2) The “girl-on-girl” scene is something that was hinted at in the book. They didn’t conjure it up out of thin air. And it was a relatively-tame scene that was sensationalized in promos and next-ons (where pretty much everything is sensationalized).

At least he seems to like the series, otherwise.

Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

daveb: Wow, this one is quite unforgiving.

At least he seems to like the series, otherwise.

To quote Larry Williams… “The show’s f**king awesome!” :)

65. daveb
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Hollyoak: And TV.com:

And thank god for this retort. Well said, Tim Surette at TV.com.

I don’t remember such a backlash during the infamous TrueBlood scene where Bill twisted Lorena’s head around.

66. Knurk
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

sjwenings,

I agree with you these numbers can only indicate the show is a mild (ratings) success to date. If this show is going to be huge, we need to have at least the same numbers as BE at the end of the season.

But I am friggin’ glad we are already a mild success, couldn’t have dreamt it any better 3 episodes in!

67. ScottsdaleSam
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

The GOT premiere episode has grossed a total of 8.7 so far.

The BE episodes averaged at 10.7 (The premiere a lot more)

And yes – both numbers include repeat and on demand viewings.

So you expected the first few episodes of GoT to have better ratings than BE based on…?

68. Tom
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

sjwenings: Since people don’t seem to bother reading links, but still like to voice their assumptions, lets just put it straight:The GOT premiere episode has grossed a total of 8.7 so far.The BE episodes averaged at 10.7 (The premiere a lot more)And yes – both numbers include repeat and on demand viewings.

69. SergioCQH
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Give sjwenings a break guys. He’s a regular poster here, not some troll who’s trying to bait us. Disappointment with the ratings is a valid feeling to be expressed on this site.

70. sjwenings
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Tom: Yeah but coming on here flaming everyones favorite show because it had 20% less viewers than one of HBOs biggest shows ever will get a reaction.

I’m not even disappointed. Just pointing out the facts.

71. daveb
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Stephen Berry: Yeah, I have to agree with Tom-

I find that strange as well Sjwenings, I took a look at the graph you (and WiC) provided. However, that doesn’t jog with everything that’s been posted here about how Boardwalk Empire started off super strong and then tailed off considerably. Was all of that bull$*&t?

72. Gytha Ogg
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

daveb: Wow, this one is quite unforgiving.And there are some facts that are just plain wrong in it.

1) The writer makes it seem like he’s seen Jason Momoa’s bare ass no less than 500 times.As far as I can remember, we saw it once.(Please correct me if I’m wrong).
    2) The “girl-on-girl” scene is something that was hinted at in the book.They didn’t conjure it up out of thin air.And it was a relatively-tame scene that was sensationalized in promos and next-ons (where pretty much everything is sensationalized).

At least he seems to like the series, otherwise.

Ha! That Vanity Fair one is hilarious!

What, one? LOLWUT?!

73. daveb
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Lex: It’s funny that even the most “unforgiving” reviews of GOT still seem to like it.

To quote Larry Williams… “The show’s f**king awesome!” :)

It’s amazing. Other than a few user comments on Metacritic (most of which are poorly written and kind of crappily-written), even the critics who have major problems with the show still have some great things to say about it.

Thank god. This is a genre where everything can turn to cheese very very VERY quickly if you’re not careful. Good talent at the helm and all the way down.

74. sjwenings
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

daveb: I took a look at the graph you (and WiC) provided. However, that doesn’t jog with everything that’s been posted here about how Boardwalk Empire started off super strong and then tailed off considerably. Was all of that bull$*&t?

75. SergioCQH
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

daveb: I find that strange as well Sjwenings, I took a look at the graph you (and WiC) provided.However, that doesn’t jog with everything that’s been posted here about how Boardwalk Empire started off super strong and then tailed off considerably.Was all of that bull$*&t?

76. daveb
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Gytha Ogg: ‘Then again, two episodes in, I’ve already seen enough shots of Jason Momoa’s ass to last a lifetime.’

What, one? LOLWUT?!

Actually, I can’t lie. That was enough for one lifetime for me.

77. daveb
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

SergioCQH: No, that was not all bullshit, but that’s only the initial showing ratings, which were 4.8 million for the premiere, and then fell off to about 2.5 million at mid-season. The total viewing numbers stayed strong.

Ah, I see. Thanks.
    So it has more to do with Boardwalk losing a bit in the “Event TV” department (ie “I have to get home at a good time because Boardwalk Empire is on and I need to know what happens immediately.”) but still being successful overall.

I wonder, if GoT winds up having the same average viewership, or at least close-enough, to Boardwalk Empire, BUT has a higher amount of viewers in the intial showing, will that make it more of a success in HBO’s eyes?

78. daveb
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

sjwenings: Well, it simply started so strong, that in spite of losing a lot of viewers it’s still a very popular show. I guess the cost of the show has also been factored in by many. The higher the cost, the higher the expectations… to some extent.

I didn’t get this from the tone of your reply at all, but I just wanted to say that what I initially posted (the bullshit comment) could have been construed as accusatory. Definitely didn’t mean it to sound that, and I was just curious.

79. Mike Chair
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker: why we’re concerned about week-to-week ratings

We also want more episodes per season. Personally, I’d like 12.

I don’t think it’s out of the question.
    Treme: Season 1 had 10 episodes; Season 2 is going to have 11 episodes
    True Blood: 12 each season
    The Wire: 13, 12, 12, 13, 10
    Six Feet Under: 13 x 3; 12 x 2

80. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

At least he seems to like the series, otherwise.

I think this article was already mentioned here, it’s dated April 25th.

All this nonsense about “too much boobs and sex” is funny. First of all, there’s no such thing as too much boobs. Second, I prefer seeing boobs to seeing a mummified corpse being dissected in full detail (last week’s The Event had that, and it’s not on cable, it’s on NBC) or seeing something like alt-Broyles’ fate on Fringe.

I wonder, what would traumatize an average kid more – boobs or dissected corpse?

81. Oi!
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

sjwenings,

Yeah BE had 10,7 mil avg after the season ended (with shitload of repeats, episode marathons…) And by the time the final episode of GOT airs the pilot will also be nicely over 10 mil.

82. Prankster
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

I find it funny that people are getting so worked up over the week-to-week ratings, which, as we’ve seen, are a relatively minor aspect of calculating the show’s success for HBO. Once again, the factors here are:

1. Week-to-week ratings, but not in the same way the networks care about them, since HBO is ad-free;
    2. The amount of new subscribers HBO gets as a result of GoT (this is probably the single biggest factor in the short term, and the reason I’m dying for HBO to release these numbers);
    3. Overseas sales;
    4. DVD sales.

GoT is already a MASSIVE success in category #3. #2, we don’t know about yet, but the fact that the ratings have crept upwards bodes very well. #4 we obviously won’t know about for a while, but again, the show seems to be attracting a lot of buzz, which can only help.

As for #1? Sjwenings is indeed factually correct (and no need to bite his head off, guys) in that it’s less than the average Boardwalk Empire episode–but Boardwalk Empire is a very successful show that has been available OnDemand for months now, as has been pointed out, and the amazing numbers for the pilot are skewing the “average” results a bit. 8.7 million is a solid success already–I’d rank it much better than “mild”–and the numbers are going to continue to increase.

In fact, given that the show seems to be gaining viewers, I wouldn’t be surprised if, in the long run, HBO is actually more happy with GoT than with Boardwalk Empire. It’s much better to start “good” and gain ground than it is to start spectacular, then sink.

83. pualo
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Alexander Dubrovsky,

Exactly. There better be about a million boobs in Quarth or I’m raising hell.

84. Stephen Berry
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

sjwenings,
    Didn’t recognize you’d linked in your first post about comparative numbers between BE and GOT. Sorry if you did.

I still don’t really understand the comparative numbers, as, as others have said, BE’s drop off in numbers was made a big deal of, but now it’s the cumulative numbers that matter? ::shrug:: I just don’t get it…. No big deal.

I don’t need GOT to be the biggest thing ever. I just want it to be big enough to run for many many seasons successfully.

85. dizzy_34
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

It’s quite simple. BE had True Blood as a lead in show and more promos for it than I’ve ever seen for one of their series that flashed “from the creators of The Sopranos and Scorsese” all over them. Game of Thrones had Mildred Pierce and Big Love (both not exactly ratings juggernauts) as lead in shows. Like I’ve thought all along this will have to be a slow growing hit like True Blood was. I’m actually surprised it’s done as well as it has so far, given that hardly anyone had been watching HBO before the show aired.

86. Abyss
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Off-Topic:
    Another “crazy” article about GOT. To be honest I can’t even pinpoint what the autors problem with the show is. – I guess it has something to do with design and zeitgeist…

87. sjwenings
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34: BE had True Blood as a lead in show, Game of Thrones had Mildred Pierce and Big Love as lead in shows.

Yes, that is very true. So many factors…

88. dizzy_34
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Abyss,

Read the comments on that. They are quite funny in that they basically rip the dude who wrote that a new one.

89. Adam Whitehead
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

BARB – the official organisation which tracks British ratings – has released its info for GoT’s premiere week. Between the initial showing, repeats and legal online viewing, the full figure for Episode 1 was:

1.85 million!

That’s pretty insane. Given the 30% drop-off to Episode 2 for the premiere figures, it’ll be interesting to see the adjusted figures, which should be out later this week.

90. Chris
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Hollyoak,

That’s EXACTLY how I feel about Treme. I really like it and think it’s an incredibly well-done show. But I’m never in a hurry to watch it. I have no problem recording it and watching it a few days later. Whereas with most other shows I’m really into, I’m dying to see what happens next.

I always describe it’s approach to be that it seems more interested in “painting a picture” than it is in telling a story, if that makes sense.

91. Eleanor
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

On the Completely Unspoiled Speculation thread they have started referring to us as the Bookwalkers.

LOVE IT.

92. greenie88
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Abyss,

I think the guy deliberately attacked the show to drive viewership to his site. He’s an ethnographer–he should be learning what’s popular, what strikes a chord in the population in general, not blogging about what strikes a chord with him (True Blood–are you serious–True Blood has more fantastical elements in it right now than GOT–Vampires, shapeshifters, werewolves, werepanthers, witches, fairies..hate to break it to you, it’s fantasy). I kind of feared we might see this when everybody got up in arms over that woman from NY Times calling GOT Boy Fiction. Others will take note and notice if they pan GOT they will drive viewers to their sites/blogs. And that means money. Don’t follow the trolls.

93. dizzy_34
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

94. Elena Amici
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Eleanor:

LOVE IT.

^ agree :D

these are good news. really, really good :)

@wic&fab: we still want your twitter post guys!

95. daveb
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34: Word is spreading…they are talking Game of Thrones on my radio station again. Wierd…(sorry Treme’ fans, they’re talking about how Treme’ sucks and Game of Thrones has replaced it on their DVR’s)

Word is definitely spreading. My parents have asked about it (after seeing the heavy promotion). I have a ton of co-workers and friends who’ve seen me mention it on Facebook, asked about it, and have gotten into it. It’s only getting stronger.

96. daveb
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Prankster: I find it funny that people are getting so worked up over the week-to-week ratings,

Hey, if we didn’t sweat the small stuff, there’d be nothing to do on the slow days :)

97. Stuff_of_Legend
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

@Prankster and @dizzy_34 both make great points, the key ones being:

1) HBO cares about subscribers, not week-to-week viewers the way a broadcast network (who sells ads based on weekly ratings) does.

2) Boardwalk Empire was set up for success, based on genre, Scorcese (sp?) involvement, promos that made it look like a new Sopranos (which it wasn’t), and the lead-in being the network’s most successful show in years (maybe ever? don’t quote me on that…). It’s not a fair comparison to make.

Bottom line is that I’m pretty sure HBO is thrilled with these numbers, especially the fact that they are going up. As the buzz and momentum grows, they will also see more activity in their On Demand and HBO To Go platforms, as well.

It’s about brand prestige when you are a pay cable network….brand prestige and subscriptions.

ETA: Sorry, I obviously don’t know how to properly tag other users in my post!

98. Adam Wing
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

That’s great news. That the show would be too much of a departure from what people are accustomed to, was always a worry for me. (There are many who would consider westerns (Deadwood), Roman epics (Rome) or crime stories (The Sopranos / The Wire) completely legitimate genres but would balk at watching a fantasy series so I’m glad people are giving it enough of a chance.)

99. daveb
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Abyss: Off-Topic:

Definitely agree on the troll theory with this guy.

However, a little research would have told him it’s a terrible idea to nonsensically rip Game of Thrones on his company’s professional site AND allow commentary. Such actions have proven to attract the extremely vicious defenders of our little show.

100. bondirotta
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

I think the third episode of BE was something like 30% below the first episode.

And GoT third episode is 10% above the first episode.

I don’t think season averages are all that illuminating… it’s the trend lines that matter!

And I also think the third episode of True Blood did not show much growth over the first one… the real momentum kicked in only during the second half of the season.

101. Knurk
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

daveb: Such actions have proven to attract the extremely vicious defenders of our little show.

I’m waiting for Who Is Jacopo Belbo to comment on that piece!

102. sjwenings
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

bondirotta: And GoT third episode is 10% above the first episode

Not really. For the initial airing, yes. But ep 1 was spread out over three airings on the opening night. The second and third viewing had about 2 million viewers between them. Ep3 had only a second viewing which scored “only” 0.7.

So ep1: 4.2 million, ep3: 3.1 million (It’s not totally fair to compare 3 to 2 viewings, but its still the numbers each of them got in one single evening.)

103. Josh
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

That guy who wrote the article has a problem with Fringe too. And The Killing which is supposed to be amazing. But he loves True Blood? Listen I like True Blood well enough but in terms of quality it’s lacking. It’s a fun show, but that’s it.

Clearly this guy just doesn’t have taste but he sure as hell thinks he does.

Posted May 3, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Josh,

I enjoy True Blood too, but when I saw him mention that as his favourite show (despite finding no relevance in GOT) he just lost me.

105. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

I can’t believe it, Osama can wreck things even from the grave -.-

106. Maxwell James
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

Wow! I had my doubts about the Sky licensing deal when the news was announced, but right now it looks like it’s working out very well.

107. silverjaime
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Josh,

I watched The Killing, subtitles and all – it’s addictive, and really really good. To compare shows like that and GOT unfavourably with True Blood is ridiculous!
    Thankfully he got the comments he deserved.

108. Syrio
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

People who say HBO doesn’t care about ratings are wrong.

Of course they care.

Yes, I know they don’t get advertising revenue, they get subscriptions. But ratings is the only way they can gauge why their subscribers subscribe. If a lot of their subscribers tune it to a show, that’s a good sign that their subscribers are interested in the show and would continue to stay subscribers to watch said show, if nobody is tuning in, that means their subscribers don’t care about said show and if they cancelled the show nobody would miss it.

Obviously other things matter too, such as DVD/Blu-ray sales, and foreign broadcast right sales. But to say ratings don’t matter is just wrong.

109. Martin E
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

I don’t want to cast any negativity about the UK viewing figures, but….

The total viewing figure may be reasonably static – but the % of the viewing dropped again for the initial showing on Monday.

Summary for UK for first 3 episodes (first broadcast only):

Episode 1 = 743,000 Audience share of 3.2%
    Episode 2 = 531,000 Audience share of 2.1%
    Episode 3 = 510,000 Audience share of 1.9%

There may be other factors at play – it was a bank holiday Monday again – but the fact that the % is lower (rather than pure totals) may imply a drop in interest (it may also simply be that more people are choosing to watch a later screening).

Very good news on the adjusted total for week 1 though – and hopefully that will shower a better overall trend.

Having said that, I’m just really enjoying the show :)

110. Mike Chair
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

daveb: The writer makes it seem like he’s seen Jason Momoa’s bare ass no less than 500 times. As far as I can remember, we saw it once.

Contrast this:

… The Khalessi is figuring out how to endear herself to the Dothraki people and Khal Drogo (Jason Momoa) is nearly naked in every shot – I totally approve of this and hope it continues. Where was I? Right, Khalessi …

Now, that’s the attitude, April MacIntyre of Monsters and Critics.

So Mike Ryan of Vanity Fair doesn’t like Jason’s ass and April loves it. As Franny Bee would say, vive la différence.

111. Lod Ned's Head
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Fantastic news! I wonder if next week’s tourney will help add more?

112. DaveB
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

It’s just SUCH A WEIRD piece! It’s just plain bizarre. Basically, the author says:

1) TV is crap
    2) An example of why TV is crap is “Game of Thrones”
    3) Game of Thrones is not vaguely appealing to me, and should not have been green-lit
    4) However, Game of Thrones has a healthy following and is getting pretty good ratings
    5) Nevertheless, personally I feel that Game of Thrones is not culturally relevant, so I have no interest.
    6) There’s something called “the sneeze rule” which essentially states that if something is relevant and part of zeitgeist, there’ll be 3 of it on TV (pawn shop shows, fisherman shows).
    7) I hope there aren’t 2 more GoT’s coming out.
    8) If Game of Throne’s flops, then HBO should’ve used my company, which exists to ask the tough questions in marketing, such as “Is this a good idea?”

The bizarre part: He gives the ratings, which do NOT at all scream “Flop.” Sure, as discussed in this thread (and others), the ratings are not Out-Of-Your-Mind stellar, but they’re pretty damn good. And he mentions this. So why use Game of Thrones as his main example of a flop show and why you should use this marketing service???

113. Maxwell James
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Syrio,

I’d amend that slightly – what HBO cares about, and should care about, is total viewership for a series. Because you can’t watch an HBO series (legally, anyway) without having a subscription. But beyond that, HBO shouldn’t care when or how its viewers watch, except as a very general indication of how much excitement there is for a series. I.e., if subscribers are really excited to see the next episode, they’ll probably watch the first screening.

By contrast, a network that depends on advertising revenue really wants to have people watch that first screening, or at least to watch a rerun on TV. Because that’s how they get eyeballs on the ads. If I watch the Killing, for instance, on demand or online, there are considerably less ads, so those viewers are less valuable customers. That’s not the same for HBO.

114. Damryn of Dorne
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

I have literally watched each episode 3 or more times.

115. GaR
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Syrio,

To say “But ratings is the only way they can gauge why their subscribers subscribe” is wrong as well.

HBO gets feedback from customers, and also monitor overall subscription numbers as they correlate to shows’ seasons starting and finishing.

116. Syrio
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Yes, but the proof is in the pudding. Whether people watch a show is a better indication than random customer feedback.

If people are enthusiastic, it has to show up in how many tunes in, bottom line, if nobody watches a show then whatever correlation your finance guy comes up with, the show isn’t the reason for it.

117. GaR
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Syrio,

I was merely pointing out how wrong you were with your silly assertion.

It is good to know we can rely on people like you to tell us these things though, since you know more than the experts at HBO. You should really offer your services to them.

::edit::

Also, Nielsen ratings aren’t a very good indicator for HBO anyway, since by themselves they don’t track whether a person watching a given show has subscribed for it or is just watching it because they already have HBO for something else.

118. Nigel Tufnel
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

greenie88:

I agree, they don’t fit AT ALL. I tried watching Treme after the first GoT and could not get into it, by brain was just totally in Westeros Mode and needs time to decompress before completely changing gears for something like Treme.

119. Fire And Blood
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

I know I wasn’t supposed to feed the troll … (And siccing Jacopo on him—isn’t that just a little cruel? That dude is vicious.)

But I had to call him out for using three fan-made photoshopped faux “promo posters” of the show rather than any of the official images we’ve seen. Like he couldn’t find any?

I mean, they were good images. A few years back. Before we had any.

Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

LOL, so true! I can’t help but laugh whenever a “reviewer” mistakenly posts the fan-made art. Says something about how much research they’ve probably put into their article.

P.S. Where’s my weekly twitter-feed fix? :)

121. Steven Swanson
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 12:33 am | Permalink

Abyss:
    Off-Topic:

That was annoying but at least moderately interesting, until the last few paragraphs where the author turned into Satan. I can’t tell if that was an article or an ad.

122. The_Rabbit01
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 2:30 am | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

Yeah, FaB, where is the tweet-feed?
    You mean I did all the re-tweets in vain?

Killer-bunny!

123. Amir Mishali
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 2:47 am | Permalink

According to tv.com, Game of Thrones is currently the 4th most popular currently running show, right behind Fringe, Vampire Diaries and Grey’s Anatomy. It beats such shows as Desperate Housewives, House and Smallville.

It is actually the most checked in show over the last 24 hourse.

124. Remy
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 4:01 am | Permalink

silverjaime,

The Killing is a totally different concept than Game of Thrones. I love both shows but they’re not in the same vein of television. The reason I watch the Killing and watch Game of Thrones are two very different reasons. They’re not comparable. Take it a step further. I watch The Chicago Code too. But just because I watch that and the Killing does not mean I like NCIS or CSI. In fact, I hate both those shows.
    There is such a thing in a television watcher that watches a show she enjoys because they’re told in a different way. It is because of the medium of how the tale unfolds in each episode.

125. JuegoDeThronos
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 4:37 am | Permalink

I think episode 3 was quite boring for non-readers, we must see if they’ll repeat next week. The show needs more action, I hope the tourney can offer that.

126. William Aaron Grandy
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 5:02 am | Permalink

JuegoDeThronos,

I loved episode 3, mostly bc you got to see the other two major locations (KL and Castle Black). These sets are absolutely stunning! What a great job! Also, loved the Arya scene at the end, Syrio kicked ass, great casting choice there! But still all my non-reader friends liked episode 1 the best. We shall see… :)

127. Hollyoak
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 7:36 am | Permalink

Did anyone else have trouble visiting this site last night. It was unavailable for a number of hours. I was going through withdrawal.

128. Ashaïese
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 9:04 am | Permalink

JuegoDeThronos:

Well, I’m not sure with that.

129. Knurk
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Hollyoak,

haha yes, I had the same thing! I was also constantly checking the twitter for an explanation from WiC, HmR or FaBio, maybe some humongous news had broken through (Strong Belwas has been cast!) but alas.

130. dizzy_34
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 9:17 am | Permalink

So I saw that HBO is replaying the first 3 episodes in a row tonight. I wonder if those numbers will count toward the totals?

131. Knurk
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 9:21 am | Permalink

dizzy_34,

jup, but only new viewers will count.

132. Martin
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Ashaïese: Well, I’m not sure with that.I talked with a non-reader who is watching Game of Throne and is already hooked by it, and that’s what I learnt from him :- he loved episode 3, but had some trouble with the characters and how they are related to each other. Especially when the living characters talk about dead ones (like Aerys)- he asked me about the white walkers who seem to have “printed” in the non readers minds as kind of a main plot line in the series. I fear they will get a bit disappointed by the development of this storyline.- he asked if there would be more action, and to be honest, I think the same, even as a many times reader. So I think that if we want to keep people around, and start to build the ratings up, episode 4 will be crucial and need to be much more action focused !

Well I guess we will have the tourney to spice the action up a bit this week – although it isn’t really used as a suspense device, more a backdrop to the main intrigue.

The next talking point I suspect will be the horse beheading scene with the Mountain, the fight with the Hound and the introduction of Loras Tyrell.

133. sjwenings
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 9:32 am | Permalink

William Aaron Grandy: yeah been telling my friends the same thing. I think the action will really pick up in episode 5, and continue to grow to the end of the series…

I’d say the action will pick up quite a bit already in ep 4.

There was a lot of introductions to both characters and locations in ep 3. There won’t be much of that stuff at all in ep 4, and we will get mostly plotdevelopment and action. The Tourney, Dany kicking Viserys’ ass and Tyrion getting arrested will all be exiting stuff.

134. Hollyoak
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Knurk:
    Hollyoak,

Oh, glad to see I wasn’t the only one. I also checked Twitter, but saw no explanation there either. Must have been some kind of maintenance or something.

135. daveb
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Ashaïese: JuegoDeThronos:

Well, I’m not sure with that.

I had my fears, but after Episode 3, my wife (who hasn’t read the books and isn’t THAT big on the genre, past Harry Potter) turned to me and said “I really like this show now. I wish we could watch them all right now. TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS TO BRAN.”

136. Tom
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 11:19 am | Permalink

sjwenings: Lol! I only said i wasn’t impressed (as others seemed to be) Thats flaming to you?I’m not even disappointed. Just pointing out the facts.

Amir Mishali,

Maybe I misunderstood the spirit of your post. I found it a little trollish.

137. Thorrgal
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Tom: Amir Mishali,

Maybe I misunderstood the spirit of your post.I found it a little trollish.

I found it a bit trollish too. More than that, I found it very Mourinho-like. If you are european, and specially if you follow football, you know what I’m referring too.

For those that are not, I’ll explain. (If I can, my written english gets worse by the year). He makes a wrongful comparison and obtains a wrongful conclussion, and knowingly so:

“This is lower than the average BE episode, hence is a mild succes, at best. Not impressed”

When:

a) You can’t compare the ratings of a finished series that was aired during the fall 8 months ago to a series that has just aired his third episode!! For the love of god…this is so wrong that “trollish” is the mildest word I can find for it. Mourinho would be proud.

and

b) Why should be GoT be compared to BE anyway?? It’s not aired during time of year, it doesn’t have the same kind of sucesfull shows before, its a total diffrenet kind of genre, deosnt have a big name like Scorsese etc..why this comparison is made is beyond me. As would be unfair to compare to The Sopranos, for example (BE is supposed to be the “new sopranos”, not GoT). Or True Blood for that matter. If you wanna compare it to an HBO show, a more fair comparison would be Rome.

And even that would be kind of pointless, because HBO itself won’t make any decissions using this naive comparison techniques.

Don’t worry guys, we all should be EXTREMILLY happy of how the show turned out to be and how both the critics and the audience are responding to it.

PS: On a totally different note, bring it on ManU!! we’ll me the 28th at wembley!!! (Only english team I really respect, thanks to Sir Alex ;-) )

138. Rhaegar's Ghost
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Thorrgal,

Not there yet Thorrgal. Should be barring a horror show tonight. Bring it on as long as Barca behave themseleves. LOL.

139. Knurk
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Thorrgal,

although I’m a big, big very big Mourinho loather myself I must correct you about Sjwening’s post being trollish. He just claimed he’s not impressed yet but finds the show at least a mild success.

Sounds logic to me, BE was a mild (because I count True Blood as huge) success itself and we still have to reach those numbers. I really do believe we’ll reach the 10 million number in the end, but I find all those Scorsese and True Blood excuses should not be used: HBO paid big dollars for this show and advertising it, so we better cough up the numbers for them. This doesn’t mean Sjwenings and I aren’t happy with the show, we’re just not blown away by the ratings (as of yet).

140. Thorrgal
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Knurk:
    Thorrgal,

a HBO paid big dollars for this show and advertising it, so we better cough up the numbers for them.

We? For them?? Mmm :P

Anyway, don’t you worry, the numbers are already coughed up.

@Rhaegar’s Ghost
    Don’t you worry, we behave!! (well except Alves..but 1 out of 25 is not bad). Last week’s game was not a good example, but was totally contamined by Mourinho’s action’s during the whole season…we are really, really fed up with him, this guy brings the worst out from anyone. Hope he leaves spain soon (back to england it seems, prolly towards Manchester they say around here)

141. Kevwill
    Posted May 6, 2011 at 7:02 am | Permalink

According to BARB, the official viewing figures for the first episode was 1.45 million in the UK – that’s huge for a Sky channel.

142. JC
    Posted May 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Definitely the best programme on Sky at the moment!!

143. dardar
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Still waiting for episode four’s ratings…

144. Knurk