GRRM viewing auditions now, casting clues to come
By Winter Is Coming on in Casting, Speculation.

George R. R. Martin has posted on his Not A Blog a hint that there will be some casting clues soon. The post bears the familiar icon of Froggy the Gremlin and says:

Hiya, Kids, Hiya, Hiya

I’ll be back soon, I will, I will.

Watch this space.

In the comments, GRRM goes on to reveal that he has seen auditions for Melisandre, Davos, Brienne, Asha, Margaery, Ygritte, Xaro Xhoan Daxos, Dolorous Edd and more. But not Stannis yet.

Winter Is Coming: Great to get confirmation of some season two characters. Mel, Davos, Brienne, and Asha were givens. Even Xaro would have been a tough cut. But Margaery and Ygritte could easily have been held off until season three. And, most of all, I’m glad to see Dolorous Edd made it in!

About Stannis, GRRM mentions not having seen any auditions for him yet. My initial reaction is that is because they already have someone in mind for the role and are negotiating a contract now. Hence GRRM hinting at some upcoming news. But he adds that ‘yet’ in there, which implies he will see some auditions eventually. But maybe he’s being intentionally misleading? I don’t know. Either way, I want some casting clues soon!

FaB insert: I wanna know what y’all’s favorite Dolorous Edd lines are! Let’s get some quotes and we’ll make a top 5 list somewhere. Go!

1. Jose
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

maybe they have a larger casting budget now that the numbers are coming in strong

2. Rufus MacSandleberg
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Man, I CANNOT wait to see who they got for Stannis.

3. feyrband
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

theyyyre baaaaack. i love these threads.

4. Pyrrhus
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

I’ve heard very little about Jaqen casting in the blog comments… I’ve been curious if this character makes the cut.

5. JRQ
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Here’s hoping Jaqen and the Blackfish are part of that “more”.

6. JonSnow'sBastard
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Matt LeBlanc has been cast as Stannis.

It is known.

7. JRQ
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

JonSnow’sBastard:
    Matt LeBlanc has been cast as Stannis.

It is known.

Hmm…that’s funny, I heard Rowan Atkinson had been cast as Stannis…

8. JonSnow'sBastard
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

JRQ,

Heh, imagine if HBO boldy cast Miltos Yerolemou as Jaqen H’ghar! ‘Twould be ballsy.

9. JonSnow'sBastard
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

JRQ,

I heard they were hoping to have Rowan Atkinson play Mance Rayder. I’ll need to follow up on my sources more closely…

10. Fire And Blood
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

Xaro Xoan Daxos will be interesting, and I’ve barely thought of him until now. Affected. Flamey, I think. Like a male flamenco dancer. Faaaabulous!

The Dolorous Edd news is great, though I knew if they cut the role, John Bradley would be more than capable of handling a few classic Edd lines.

11. Zack
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

*dances* Dolorous Edd lives! That is awesome.

12. Fire And Blood
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

I inserted this above, but: I wanna know what y’all’s favorite Dolorous Edd lines are! Let’s get some quotes and we’ll make a top 5 list somewhere. Go!

13. Zack
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

“I never win anything,” Dolorous Edd complained. “The gods always smiled on Watt, though. When the wildlings knocked him off the Bridge of Skulls, somehow he landed in a nice deep pool of water. How lucky was that, missing all those rocks?”
    “Was it a long fall?” Grenn wanted to know. “Did landing in the pool of water save his life?”
    “No,” said Dolorous Edd. “He was dead already, from that axe in his head. Still, it was pretty lucky, missing the rocks.”

14. Arrogant Bastard
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

Pyrrhus,

I have a feeling that Jaqen has already been cast.Aan article about 10 secrets of Game of Thrones had this quote

Weiss mentioned Ygritte, who becomes a figure of importance to Jon Snow, and the mysterious Jaqen H’ghar, a suspected member of a sect of assassins. (“He’s fun too,” said Benioff. “He doesn’t really show up this season, but he’ll be a big player next season.”)

We already know that Arya meets Lommy and Hot Pie with Yoren, so I think they’ll be a shot of Jaqen, since Benioff implies that he briefly shows up in the season.

15. JonSnow'sBastard
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

EDIT: Zack beat me to it, but it’s still my favorite!
    Dolorous Edd quote I always liked:

Also, FaB, for Xaro Xoan Daxos–> Something like this?

Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

This is crazy, I was just thinking last night about how I missed the “Hiya kids, hiya, hiya!” thing.

17. Dob
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

My sarcasm detector is broken, are you guys serious about Rowan Atkinson?

I hope so, he’s awesome.

18. JRQ
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Dob:
    My sarcasm detector is broken, are you guys serious about Rowan Atkinson?

I hope so, he’s awesome.

If you hope so, then I’m definitely serious.

19. JonSnow'sBastard
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Dob,

I tease about Rowan Atkinson out of a deep love of Rown Atkinson, of course. I am completely sarcastic about those two particular roles, though. Not that I doubt his ability, necessarily, but I don’t imagine HBO want to put themselves in a position to have a “OMG Mr. Bean is the King-Beyond-the-Wall” meme develop.

Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

For the record, GRRM himself really thought Rowan Atkinson would make a perfect Varys.

No joke.

Mr. Bean aside, I think Atkinson’s work on Blackadder suggests that he could be a good fit.

21. Mike Chair
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood: I wanna know what y’all’s favorite Dolorous Edd lines are!

“If my wet nurse had looked like her, I’d still be on the teat. Mine had whiskers.”
    AFFC: Samwell I

Rowan Atkinson for Dolorous Edd.

22. Fire And Blood
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

JonSnow’sBastard,

That’s not bad! Photoshop that puppy with a massive gemstone sticking out the side of one nostril and it’s almost perfect! Hat-cha-chaaa!

23. Justin Briscoe
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

I was sure Dolorous Edd would be cut. It’s cool to see that he will remain.

24. JRQ

4. Rattleshirt
    3. Qyburn
    2. Dolorous Edd
    1. Vargo Hoat

25. Ramon Carlos
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

… And yet there is no word of Qhorin…

mayhap my theory that Benjen returns and takes on the role of Qhorin might yet happen. As others pointed out, it would be badass for Jon to have to kill his own uncle to join the wildlings,

26. mummer
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

My favorite Edd line isn’t actually funny: it’s when he’s standing around as everyone’s being killed by monsters, and asks Sam politely to wake him up from this nightmare he’s having.

27. The Smiling Knight
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

There were no furnishings, no sign that people had lived here but for some ashes beneath the smoke hole in the roof. “What a dismal place to live,” he said.
    “I was born in a house much like this,” declared Dolorous Edd. “Those were my enchanted years. Later I fell on hard times.”
    —————————————

“You call that a bed?”
    “If it’s softer than the ground and has a roof over it, I call it a bed.”
    ———————————–

“All I smell is the shit of two hundred horses. And this stew. Which has a similar aroma, now that I come to sniff it.”
    ————————————-

“Nothing ever goes missing that they don’t look at me, ever since that time I lost my
    horse. As if that could be helped. He was white and it was snowing, what did they expect?”
    ———————————————

“He said for you to join him. Best leave the wolf outside, he looks hungry enough to eat one of Craster’s children. Well, truth be told, I’m hungry enough to eat one of Craster’s children, so long as he was served hot.”
    ——————————————

“If it’s warm and dry inside, don’t tell me, I wasn’t asked in.”
    ———————————————

“There’s always a bear,” declared Dolorous Edd in his usual tone of gloomy resignation. “One killed my brother when I was young. Afterward it wore his teeth around its neck on a leather thong. And they were good teeth too, better than mine. I’ve had nothing but trouble with my teeth.”
    ——————————————–

“I was warm, though. Some dogs crawled atop me during the night. My cloak was almost dry when one of them pissed in it.”
    ———————————————

“Have you noticed that the rain stopped the instant I had a roof above me? It will start again now that I’m back out. Gods and dogs alike delight to piss on me.”
    —————————————–

“We’ll defend the Wall to the last man,” said Cotter Pyke.
    “Probably me,” said Dolorous Edd, in a resigned tone.

28. paulgude
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

JonSnow’sBastard,

I’ve often commented that with his dark curls, Miltos looks a lot like the guy that Jaqen becomes who we later know as The Alchemist.

I had suggested they’ll cast someone different as Jaqen and then bring Miltos back at the end, maybe different from the book, but a workable compromise for the series.

However, Miltos is a good enough actor that they could have him play the Jaqen persona differently from Syrio persona, if they decided to really consolidate the character into one guy who appears as different people.

Standard disclaimer that this is what I think they might do for the show, not what I claim is happening in the book.

29. Gwalchmai
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Ramon Carlos,

If that is the case, I hope GRRM gives reveals Benjen’s fate in ADWD before season 2 airs. I’d be upset finding out he is dead on HBO instead of the books.

30. Ramon Carlos
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Gwalchmai,

Agreed. There would need to be a reveal in ADWD.

EDIT: I think WoW will not be finished by season 2

EDIT2: I think we shall now in about 6 weeks…

31. McKee
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Smiling Knight is fast on draw. He got favorite quote at the top of his list.

“Those were my enchanted years. Later I fell on hard times.”

Classic!

32. Fat Jon
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

“Never knew Bannen could smell so good.” Edd’s tone was as morose as ever. “I had half a mind to carve a slice off him. If we had some applesauce, I might have done it. Pork’s always best with applesauce, I find.”

“You best not die Sam, or I fear I might succumb. There’s bound to be more crackling on you than Bannen ever had, and I never could resist a bit of crackling.”

33. Gregory Kelton
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

34. Rutep
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

Would anyone like to get Johnny Depp as Jaqen H’gar? I know he’s probably far too high profile for the role, but…

35. Zack
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

paulgude,

I would love it if they did that. Miltos is too awesome to be gone so soon.

36. JonSnow'sBastard
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Can I get a refresher on the union rules for this production? Wasn’t there a requirement that the show would have to use a large majority of British screen actors to film in N. Ireland?

37. emilsjoke
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Posted May 21, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

emilsjoke:
    Someone mentioned on GRRM’s blog that they thought Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond from LOST) would make a great Davos.I concur wholeheartedly!He could nail the look and he’s a great actor.

I like this.

39. Tyler L. Metcalfe
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

I too like Cusick as Davos.

40. paulgude
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Lex,

I’d be fine with him, as well as many of the other names thrown around, (hell, I’ve thrown a few names around myself) but for pure “I’ve been through a lot of crap, but am still a bad-ass” weary swagger, I’m still a fan of Tommy Flanagan.

41. JRQ
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

Cusick seems a little young. I believe Davos is 50-60ish in the books, no?

42. Puzzlnut
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Tommy Flanagan looks just right to me, too. What’s more, he looks more of a “common man” than Henry Ian Cusick.

43. MetalgoddessAMB
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Rutep:

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :):) :) :) :) :):) :) :) :) :):) :) :) :) :):) :) :) :) :)

I wish!

44. Jordan Healey
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 12:23 am | Permalink

So pleased about Dolorous Edd, yay!

45. lorinheller
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 12:26 am | Permalink

For Davos, I’d love to see Gary Oldman, but way too much money if they give the character the amount of time he deserves. They could probably afford a bigger actor for Jaqen given that he doesn’t really take up that much screen time.

46. Gomer
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 1:14 am | Permalink

Gwalchmai,

I’m fairly certain of Benjens fate.
    If Benjen was alive he would return to the wall. He has no reason not to and GRRM’s characters never do anything without a reason.

That being said, Benjen’s body would have been found if he was meant to be dead, so he still has a purpose. Having been introduced to “cold hands” I am current assuming he is Benjen as well as the 3 eyed crow (crow used to describe members of the night’s watch), the 3 eyed comes from being a warg, which is a trait in the stark family blood. That being said, cold hands is obviously a wight who still has control over his own body. A weight could not return to the wall and live in normal circumstances, which makes sense when you think about the fact that Benjen did not return to the wall. I think Benjen still has a major role to play in the upcoming books, and therefore cannot be killed off early by HBO.

47. uberstellar
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 1:17 am | Permalink

Hey, I’m going to go out on the limb and expose myself as a- shame!- newbie. (Saw the previews for the show in January, consumed the books in a week, went online to devour as much of the forum backlogs as possible and now on my third read-through). So can someone help us fresh recruits out and explain the Froggy the Gremlin/ GRRM alter-ego thing? Google has not been as helpful as usual.

48. paulgude
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 1:24 am | Permalink

uberstellar,

Whenever GRRM uses the gremlin icon on “Not a Blog” he’s dropping some cryptic info about the show. Standard form is a series of riddles regarding a role (or roles) getting cast, both character(s) and actor(s).

49. Adam Roberts
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 2:06 am | Permalink

JonSnow’sBastard:
    Matt LeBlanc has been cast as Stannis.

It is known.

Nah it’ll be Mel Gibson

50. Kana
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 2:21 am | Permalink

It’s a pity that Rowan Atkinson is mostly known for his work on Mr. Bean, when he’s even better when he’s actually allowed to, y’know, talk.

51. The Rabbit
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 2:21 am | Permalink

Yeah!
    Froggy the Gremlin is back :)

I can hardly wait for this!
    Hopefully the clues would be hard for more than one role at once – and we would have party over here once again.

p.s. Margery Tyrell – this s is the surprise!

52. Flouride
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 3:02 am | Permalink

Sweet! I guess this settles it, Alice Henley was auditioning for Ygritte. It’s nice to see Dolorous Edd in there as well. Can’t wait for all the clues to start dropping in :)

WiC: Time to add 2nd season cast list :)

53. Quanta
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 3:10 am | Permalink

All I’ve got to say is, I hope the cast a Yorkshireman as Dolorous Edd.

If you don’t know why go here Monty Python Four Yorkshiremen

54. Michael Estrella
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 3:15 am | Permalink

hi guys first-time poster here. I just wanted to chime on who have they found to play Pyat Pree. Another thing, is Christoph Waltz viable to play Roose Bolton?

edit: Maybe I’m in minority here but I hope they cast an African American actor to play Dolorous Edd to give the show more cultural diversity. Sorry English is not my native language.

55. Mirri Maz
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 3:18 am | Permalink

emilsjoke,

I think he’s already been cast in an ABC series that just got picked up for next season, so even if the series is canceled there won’t be enough time for him to get the part for GoT.

56. Tar Kidho
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 3:42 am | Permalink

Kana: You might want to skip the first season of Black Adder, but after that it’s solid gold snark.

Is it the first season that ends with them all poisoning each other? I thought that was one of the best bits I’ve EVER seen on tv. But yeah, the first season was a bit strange at times, like an unguided misile, and everything after was pure brilliance. Long time ago since anyone has made something THIS funny… For the people that only know Rowan Atkinson from Mr Bean: truly, as great as it was in some respects, it was also the worst thing he ever did on tv. Personally, I would LOVE to see Atkinson as Dolorous Ed. That said, given the chance, he probably could have played a good Robert, a good Ned, a brilliant Littlefinger…as well. The cast of Black Adder had so much and such versatile talent (Hugh Laurie! Stephen Fry!).

57. obsidian
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 3:46 am | Permalink

Tommy Flanagan would certainly make a good Davos. I like the cut of his jib.

58. Tree-Face
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 3:57 am | Permalink

I’m thinking with Sean Bean’s “diminished role” in season 2 and beyond there will be a need and a budget for some big names in the upcoming seasons…. Anyone else think Charlie Sheen would make an incredible Biter?… that was a joke, but it would definitely put butts in seats =)

I know it’s unlikely, but I’d love to see Liam Neeson as the Blackfish…. we know he can fight with swords and he’s just always such a badass, even with a ponytail! hmmm…. and he can draw the sci fi nerds into the fantasy fold.

59. Jeremy Jenkins
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 4:02 am | Permalink

I like Mark Strong for Stannis – but doubtful HBO could get him on contract for that long.

60. Tar Kidho
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 4:07 am | Permalink

In my mind, Davos has a good-natured, kind face, so not exactly like Tommy Flanagan… However, for the series, maybe they would like someone who resembles an ex-pirate and that easily can holds his own again the menace of Melisandre? As such, I propose once more Trevor Eve. And I WILL keep on proposing him for any slightly appropriate role till he finally gets picked up by Nina Gold since he’s such a great actor!

Oh, and another thought for Davos: why not Liam Cunningham? (recently starring in BBC’s Outcasts, which despite some abominal writing I was very sad to see cancelled after only 8 episodes)

61. sjwenings
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 4:08 am | Permalink

Jeremy Jenkins,

Yeah. Whoever they cast for Stannis would have to sign on for several seasons. So i don’t expect a Sean Bean-big name.

62. Jordan Healey
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 4:37 am | Permalink

To be honest I’d be happier if they did like The Wire, cast people who suit the role but aren’t necessarily big names.
    More chance then of more seasons and less character cuts :)

63. RitariKnight
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 4:39 am | Permalink

Michael Estrella:
    edit: Maybe I’m in minority here but I hope they cast an African American actor to play Dolorous Edd to give the show more cultural diversity.Sorry English is not my native language.

Dolorous Edd is not black, so no thanks.

And I very, very much doubt we’ll ever get any African American actors to play any roles in the show. So far, we have just two American actors (of which one is actually half Native Hawaiian, half German, Irish, and Native American) and one Australian, the rest are all from Europe, mostly from Britain and Ireland, or at least reside in Britain (like Amrita Acharia). If we get any black actors, and I am quite certain we will at some point, there are plenty to choose from in Britain. None of them are African American, though.

64. Petter Kristian Vikestad
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 4:49 am | Permalink

Michael Estrella,

No, don’t like it. Not for Ed, but for Jaqen H’gar? That could certainly work. I remember back in the day when there were suggestions of casting a black character for Bronn. Just, no.

65. phiaV
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 5:06 am | Permalink

I would love to see Alan Cumming as Jaqen, he naturally has that mischevious look about him.

66. Cirothecarius
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 5:19 am | Permalink

If HBO can cast Jerome Flynn as Bronn why not Robson Green as Davos

I like the look of Paddy Considine far Stannis Baratheon

And David Bradley as Dolorous Edd

And of course Mike Tyson as Biter :-)))

67. Dolorous Edd
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 5:47 am | Permalink

Great, now that I’ve made my vacations plans for the first time ever, pay the expenses and there’s no refund…

68. Nemo
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 5:51 am | Permalink

Ben Stein for Dolorous Edd!

….

What? They could make him look younger…

Failing that:

Ben Stain for the voice of Dolorous Edd!

69. Blackfish Blues
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 5:54 am | Permalink

I’ve gone and asked GRRM in the comments thread whether the Blackfish is in. I hope my message passes the screening, but it was nice:

“Hello Mr. Martin, first time poster here. Thank you for all the thrills you’ve given us with ASOIAF and now the series; and also for your availability in bringing us news and answering our queries. There’s so much I’d like to ask, but I’ll stick to the burning question that obsesses many of us fans: Will the Blackfish be in S2? Please put our hearts at rest one way or the other, thank you!”

I really hope he’ll answer a direct question.

PS Joe Campo for Dolorous Edd! Or anybody, really!

70. Felagund
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 5:57 am | Permalink

Face it guys, there are no black minorities in Westeros, blacks are only present in the Summer Islands. Deal with it.

To enter the Best Dolorous Edd quote “competition”:

“There are worse ways to die than warm and drunk. I knew a brother drowned himself in wine once. It was a poor vintage, though, and his corpse did not improve it.”

71. Matt
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 6:16 am | Permalink

It’s good they haven’t done Stannis auditions yet.

CLANCY BROWN probably doesn’t know about the role he’s perfect for.

You know what you must do HBO. He’s got major acting chops and the star power they’re after for the role too.

72. Mormegil
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 6:37 am | Permalink

Cirothecarius: If HBO can cast Jerome Flynn as Bronn why not Robson Green as DavosI like the look of Paddy Considine far Stannis BaratheonAnd David Bradley as Dolorous EddAnd of course Mike Tyson as Biter ))

I’ve suggested Robson Green for Stannis before.

emilsjoke: Someone mentioned on GRRM’s blog that they thought Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond from LOST) would make a great Davos. I concur wholeheartedly! He could nail the look and he’s a great actor.

I’ve been saying that for months. Either him or Naveen Andrews.

JRQ: Cusick seems a little young. I believe Davos is 50-60ish in the books, no?

I don’t think his age is ever given, he has grown up sons but even then he could be as young as 40, my guess he’s about 45.

73. TPFKA Thoros of Myr
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 6:47 am | Permalink

If I may make a suggestion: Richard Belzer for Jacelyn Bywater. That way sergeant John Munch, or his double, can make his appearance in YET another TV series, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Munch

74. Eric DeBruin
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 6:51 am | Permalink

Gomer

I believe that Ben Stark’s body is dead. It is mentioned that there are cases where ‘changers’ would take the form of another body. I believe Ben Stark was killed by a wight and took it’s form permanently thus becoming cold hands. This is why Sam didn’t recognize him.

75. Arya's Cat
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 7:06 am | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

“Bad enough when the dead come walking, now the Old Bear wants them talking as well? No good will come of that, I’ll warrant. And who’s to say the bones wouldn’t lie? Why should death make a man truthful, or even clever? The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints — the ground’s too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does he get more worms than I do….”

76. ogbebaba
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 7:30 am | Permalink

well the perfect edd for me has always been this guy

77. Myles Manwoody
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 7:37 am | Permalink

Gregory Kelton: I don’t have my books with me atm but my fav d edd quote is the one about how they will figure out how to make the brothers wights when they die and he’ll be the first. Something about “dying is no excuse”.

“Once they figure a way to work a dead horse, we’ll be next. Likely I’ll be the first too. ‘Edd,’ they’ll say, ‘dying’s no excuse for laying down no more, so get on up and take this spear, you’ve got first watch tonight.’ Well, I shouldn’t be so gloomy. Might be I’ll die before they work it out.”

78. EvilPicnic
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 7:49 am | Permalink

“The fat boy was shaking. Dolorous Edd put a hand on his shoulder. “Brother,” he said solemnly, “just because it happened that way for you doesn’t mean Samwell will suffer the same.”

“What are you talking about, Tollett?”

“The axe that split your skull. Is it true that half your wits leaked out on the ground and your dogs ate them?”

79. Bro
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 8:02 am | Permalink

Ah Dolorous Edd! It makes my heart glad that he’s defo being cast. Don’t care about anyone else so long as he’s cast. As for my fav quote,it would have to be the one that’s in Jon’s chapter in ADWD that GRRM released. But that prob doesn’t count for this seeing as the book isn’t even out yet! Prob no need for the spoiler tag but better to be safe than sorry!

80. Eleanor
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 8:04 am | Permalink

Number 1!

81. Arya's Cat
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 8:09 am | Permalink

Mormegil: I’ve suggested Robson Green for Stannis before.

The role of Stannis would be a waste of Green’s comedic talent (not to mention loveability). He’d make a fantastic Dolorous Edd, though.

82. Tim Russell
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 8:09 am | Permalink

Dolorous Edd should be played by Eeyore.

83. Kingthlayer
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 8:36 am | Permalink

Dolorous Edd paraphrase: “We only got to eat mice on special feast days”. Love it.

84. Jessica C.
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Kingthlayer:

Remember, he always got the tail and there is no meat on the tail.

I am so happy they decided not to cut him from the show. I am so interested to see who they will pick for Stannis and Mel. I still want Natalie Dormer as Mel, she is my number one choice.

85. persephone88
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 8:43 am | Permalink

Pyrrhus,

I will be heartsick if they cut Jaqen H’gar!!! However, since he comes into play in AFfC, I would be surprised if they cut him…

86. Franny Bee
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 8:53 am | Permalink

Makes me laugh, every time…

Also, when his stuffed dummy got the least Wildling arrows, he complained about it. LOVE!

87. Felagund
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 9:10 am | Permalink

Franny Bee,

No, as far as I recall his dummy was leading for a long time but in the last assault Pyp’s got one more…

88. EvilPicnic
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Robson Green needs a King’s Landing role so he can bump into Bronn. And then they can burst into song together!

89. Podrik
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 9:20 am | Permalink

I realy hope that Podrik Payne is getting a role in this show. I find him pretty amusing.

90. Astalnar
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 9:34 am | Permalink

I don’t know why, but I always imagined Dolorous Edd somwhere between 22-28 years old. I took his silver hair as a thing that is also common to Daynes and Velaryons.
    We always see him around Gren, Pyp, Sam and Jon. We never see him talking to some of the older generations.

91. EvilPicnic
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Tar Kidho

Rowan Atkinson for Stannis, and Tony Robinson for Davos!

And maybe Miranda Richardson for Melisandre, Stephen Fry as Maester Cressen, Hugh Laurie as Alester Florent, Patsy Byrne as Selyse, and Tim McInnerny as Patchface!

Perfect!

92. Gwalchmai
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Gomer, Eric DeBruin,

I agree completely with the posibilityBenjen=Coldhands, but I’m not 100% sure about it. I think it would be fun if he was. I WOULD be very upset if Benjen replaces the Halfhand and dies, thus destroying the possibility before we find out more in the books is all I am saying. They have to be very careful about this. Even listing the actor who plays Benjen in next season’s cast (if he were to play Halfhand) would be a spoiler. On the other hand, if they keep the Benjen=Coldhands quiet, AND we find out Benjen is indeed dead in ADWD, it would make good TV to replace Halfhand with Benjen.

93. Shinyteapot
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 10:01 am | Permalink

JRQ,

Rowan Atkinson as the Kindly Man- brilliant idea. That could work wonderfully. :)

Very glad Edd is in, would’t be the same without him :) Hoping we get the Blackfish too!

As regards Benjen, it’s possible that if he is a warg, he was warging in something else as he was killed, then returned to his own body when it was reanimated. However given that Jon was treated with suspicion for his fairly undeveloped warging abilities, if Benjen could do likewise it seems his Night’s Watch brothers didn’t know about it.

Mormegil,

Naveen Andrews for Davos? Not someone I would have thought of, but the more I consider it the more I like it. I didn’t find Davos’ chapters as gripping as many other characters, though he really should be interesting considering what that happens to and around him. So I’m hoping the actor will make me care about his fate in a way I really didn’t in the book.

94. Mirax
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 10:04 am | Permalink

lorinheller: For me, the perfect Jaqen H’ghar would be Cillian Murphy. My God, he would terrify in that role.

This!

I, too, am loving that Dolorous Edd made the cut! The show needs as much laughter as possible! I have no idea who should play him, but I’ve always kinda pictured him as being really, really droopy.

95. Arya's Cat
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 10:05 am | Permalink

EvilPicnic,

Holy crap — I totally forgot they were both in “Soldier Soldier”!

96. Mike Chair
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Quanta: All I’ve got to say is, I hope the cast a Yorkshireman as Dolorous Edd.

I always pictured Dolorous Edd as a medieval version of the cockney Alfred P. Doolittle from My Fair Lady.

If there’s anything goin’ an’ I ask for a bit of it, it’s always the same story: “You’re undeservin’, so you can’t ‘ave it.” But my needs is as great as the most deservin’ widows that ever got money out of six different charities in one week for the death o’ the same ‘usband. I don’t need less than a deservin’ man. I need more. I don’t eat less ‘earty than he does and I drink … oh, a lot more. I’m playin’ straight with you. I ain’t pretendin’ to be deservin’. No, I’m undeservin’. And I mean to go on bein’ undeservin’. I like it an’ that’s the truth.

Stanley Holloway (1890 -1982) as Alfred P. Doolittle

97. Eric Jones
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 10:55 am | Permalink

The Smiling Knight: “We’ll defend the Wall to the last man,” said Cotter Pyke.
    “Probably me,” said Dolorous Edd, in a resigned tone.

This one is my favorite Dolorous Edd quote. Brevity is the soul of wit.

98. Mongerel
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 11:01 am | Permalink

My pick for Jaqen H’gar: Harry Lloyd. I LOVE that guy, and something tells me he will be available.

99. victarion
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 11:04 am | Permalink

There is no spoon and there is no House Tully.

100. Drfunk
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

That would be insanely awesome except that Cillian Murphy is a big name movie star these days. He’s not Brad Pitt level by any stretch but definitely not an unknown star either. I’ve read articles that he still does a lot of independent film work, not sure if he could be interested in such a minor (but critical) role though.

101. Blackfish Blues
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 11:18 am | Permalink

victarion:
    There is no spoon and there is no House Tully.

Ha! Wish the Tullys had as much screen time as the spoon. :P

102. Jason
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Dolorous Edd will be played by Russel Brand!

103. Cristian Modesto
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 11:40 am | Permalink

In my head, Stannis has always been Gary Sinise, well, a head-shaved Gary Sinise, although I believe he’s in CSI now.

What about Ser Dontos, do you think he’ll be cut? Besides the usual comic relief derived from drunk characters, his addition to the show will give room for some incredible flashbacks. I believe that they didn’t want to use flashbacks in the first season, due the complicated multi-character storyline and the tons of exposition dialogue, but I can see them tapping into the mythology of Westeros as the series moves forward. Probably wishful thinking, though, but it’ll be great if they do that.

104. Eric DeBruin
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Cristian Modesto,

I’d never thought of Gary Sinise. That’s brilliant.

105. Mormegil
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Always pictured Dolorous Ed as Roger Lloyd Pack.

106. Nick Larter
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Robson Green as the Blackfish?

107. MetalgoddessAMB
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Arya’s Cat:
    Fire And Blood,

“Bad enough when the dead come walking, now the Old Bear wants them talking as well?No good will come of that, I’ll warrant.And who’s to say the bones wouldn’t lie?Why should death make a man truthful, or even clever?The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints — the ground’s too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does he get more worms than I do….”

Winner!

108. persephone88
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Drfunk: if he is a warg, he was warging in something else as he was killed, then returned to his own body when it was reanimated. However given that Jon was treated with suspicion for his fairly undeveloped warging abilities, if Benjen could do likewise it seems his Night’s Watch brothers didn’t know about it.

I think Crispin Glover is just scary / creepy enough to do Jaqen. He could also do a good Vargo Hoat, I think.

109. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

I’m hopin Stannis is a name we all recognise.

110. EvilPicnic
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Cristian Modesto
    I don’t think Ser Dontos will be cut, mainly because despite being a fairly minor role in terms of lines, he is absolutely integral to Sansa’s arc. Without Ser Dontos, Sansa’s role in aCoK is just to mope about and be occasionally terrified. If there is no Ser Dontos you might as well cut Sansa entirely (now that’s an idea…)

As for flashbacks, I’m still fairly confident in my hope that we’ll have a couple in the later episodes of this season.

111. Myles Manwoody
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

And there is the dolorous axe talk:

Dolorous Edd was feeding the horses. “Give the wildling an axe, why not?” He pointed out Mormont’s weapon, a shorthafted battle-axe with gold scrollwork inlaid on the black steel blade. “He’ll give it back, I vow. Buried in the Old Bear’s skull, like as not. Why not give him all our axes, and our swords as well?
    I mislike the way they clank and rattle as we ride. We’d travel faster without them, straight to hell’s door.
    Does it rain in hell, I wonder? Perhaps Craster would like a nice hat instead.”
    Jon smiled. “He wants an axe. And wine as well.”
    “See, the Old Bear’s clever. if we get the wildling well and truly drunk, perhaps he’ll only cut off an ear when he tries to slay us with that axe. I have two ears but only one head.”

Edd looked at the axe doubtfully, the rain running down his long face. “Is it dry in there?”
    “Drier than out here.”
    “If I lurk about after, not too close to the fire, belike they’ll take no note of me till morn. The ones under his roof will be the first he murders, but at least we’ll die dry.”
    Jon had to laugh. “Craster’s one man. We’re two hundred. I doubt he’ll murder anyone.”
    “You cheer me,” said Edd, sounding utterly morose. “And besides, there’s much to be said for a good sharp axe. I’d hate to be murdered with a maul. I saw a man hit in the brow with a maul once. Scarce split the skin at all, but his head turned mushy and swelled up big as a gourd, only purply-red. A comely man, but he died ugly. It’s good that we’re not giving them mauls.” Edd walked away shaking his head, his sodden black cloak shedding rain behind him.

112. paulgude
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Lord Ned’s Head,

I’d settle for a name most of us don’t recognize, but then look up on IMDB and go: “Oh! THAT guy! He’ll be great.”

113. dobesol
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

MetalgoddessAMB: Winner!

My favorite!
    And Ben Stein…brilliant. Hahaha
    And I still can’t wait to see Tormund Giantsbane on the show. The funniest lines are shared between him, Dolorous Ed and Tyrion.
    6 -and- 7 today! Hurray!

114. Tar Kidho
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Jason:
    Dolorous Edd will be played by Russel Brand!

If he were to be played by any comedian other than Rowan Atkinson, then surely it would have to be Jack Dee! Or maybe Sean Lock? No, Dee would be absolutely perfect! (and age doesn’t matter for Edd I find)

115. Tar Kidho
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

EvilPicnic,

That sounds like a cunning plan! :-)

116. Snark
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Interesting that they are casting for Ygritte already. I thought the general understanding was that they cast roughly in order of appearance and she is not going to be needed until the back end of the season.

117. EvilPicnic
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

paulgude
    Lord Ned’s Head

I would actually prefer complete unknowns (as long as they can act of course), mainly because they’re less likely to drop out on us (I want this show to run and run) and also because with big names Casting Directors sometimes have to compromise based on who’s available.

Tar Kidho

Cunning as a fox what used to be Professor of Cunning at Oxford University but has moved on and is now working for the U.N. at the High Commission of International Cunning Planning!

:p

118. Tar Kidho
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Jack Dee wouldn’t have to act, he already THINKS like Dolorous Edd:

EvilPicnic,

:-)

119. paulgude
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

EvilPicnic,

I think if it’s anything like season one, *most* of the actors will be unknowns, and I’m cool with that.

My guess, from a long time ago, is that we’ll get one recognizable name (not A-list, but someone almost a household name with a fan base) and one person with a ton of experience and facial recognition, with a smaller fan base. The rest would be largely unknowns with various levels of experience.

I further guessed that the “name” would be Davos and the sort-of-name would be Stannis. This was mostly due to speculation about cast shake-ups and the adding of a new location.

That said, I’m normally off about this sort of thing.

120. Shinyteapot
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Mormegil,

Likewise :) Though if he’s unavailable, Joseph Campo might just do very well :)

Jack Dee has the deadpan, but in standup he can come across as very smug, gets on my nerves. But I do see the similarity.

121. kg
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

TPFKA Thoros of Myr,

No, but he’d be a great Edd.

122. EvilPicnic
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

paulgude
    Oh, I certainly expect that Stannis at least will be an actor with reasonably high profile, mainly because post-Lord-Ned’s-Head-gate they will wish to appease fans, and will have some extra money in the casting budget to do so. That makes perfect sense. But personally, I would prefer an actor without a pedigree because I have this weird phobia that a big name actor will at some point go, ’5+ more seasons of this? Fuck that, I’m off to do some films.’

And Davos is one of my favourite characters in the books, but I think that his role will be reduced to just being Stannis’ foil in the show. I just can’t see them spending all that much time on him, what with everything else there is to cover.

123. koinosuke
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Joe Campo for Dolorous Edd! Get Joe on the Show and all that!

124. EvilClosetMonkey
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Now I want Rowan Atkinson for Vargo Hoat… Saphireth!

125. paulgude
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

EvilPicnic,

The “having a character in it for the long haul” is the reason I think a lot of the big name choices for Stannis that get kicked around don’t work. I think we’re on the same page on this, although the degree of fame may be in flux. The good news is that the business side of a series like this is such that longevity of the role is a definite factor in casting.

As pointed out in other threads, I freely admit that my current view of Davos’ importance comes from the fact that he’s a POV character, which means nil when it comes to the series. Stannis has always seemed to me like the “boss” character in the relationship, rather than the main character. Yes, he’s in charge, but it’s Davos who’s actually on the ground doing things.

Again, a lot of this depends on how D&D decide to write it.

Will Davos be Ned to Stannis’ Robert or Jory to Stannis’ Ned? Both relationships are possible, and we won’t know which until the role is cast/written.

126. Rodario
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Sorry for possible off-topic but who the hell is Drizz Lannister??
    Casted for the last four episodes.

127. Shinyteapot
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Rodario,

Never heard of him/her, and really doesn’t sound like a good name for a new character- where did you hear about this?

128. Anvil
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Rodario:
    Sorry for possible off-topic but who the hell is Drizz Lannister??
    Casted for the last four episodes.

That is just some hoax at imdb. Drizzt Do’Urden and his D&D comrades have no place in Westeros.

129. paulgude
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Shinyteapot,

Listed on IMDB:

I have to say it seems like a fan submission.

Yosun Goral:

130. Cuchulain
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

This may have been said before, but Simon Pegg for Dolorous Edd!

Although based on buzz alone, I’ve heard that Elena Satine is a shoe-in for the roll ;)

131. Eric Bigpicture
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Someone on the Not a Blog tossed out the name Christopher Eccleston for Stannis. I think it’s a brilliant fit.

132. paulgude
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Eric Bigpicture,

A lot of folks here felt/feel that way, too. He was one of the top featured choices:

133. mimi
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Mongerel:

LOL!!!!

Of COURSE, he’d be great!

134. Grimtuesday
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

135. Mormegil
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Grimtuesday: Thanks to this post I have been obsessively refreshing this site and Not a Blog in hopes of clues. I really wish GRRM had been more specific as to when these clues might be coming.

I think it will be a while yet.

GRRM won’t be able to start giving out clues till contracts are signed with the actors in question abd I doubt things have got to that stage yet.

136. paulgude
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

One last take on Stannis. A friend of mine has referred to him as an “awful manager” type. He’s in a position of power, but devoid of true charisma and true leadership skills. I see this factor at play in the fact that Robert promoted Renly over him, as well as issues that arise later…

I’m interested to see if the characterization stays. If they make Stannis a more commanding presence, Robert’s motives for promoting the new sort-of-a-pacifist Renly over him would be interesting to suss out.

137. hungrytales
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Naveen Andrews as Davos? Really?

Why Davos when he is such a perfect match for Davos’ pirate comrade, Salladhor Saan? Strange nobody seemed to come up with that.

And while we’re at it. Strange as this Rowan Atkinson thing here seems. Maybe it’s more sane than I think and his fellow comedian friend, Hugh Laurie, would make a great Mance Rayder?

138. MW
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Cuchulain:
    This may have been said before, but Simon Pegg for Dolorous Edd!

Oh I had Satine penciled in for Lollys.

139. GaR
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

I would love to see Stephen Fry in Thrones. maybe as Maester Cressen. He’s not really old enough, but I don’t think that’s too big an issue. Of course, he’s probably a bit busy with The Hobbit.

That gives me an idea though; Ricky Gervais as Dolorous Edd :D

140. Sara
    Posted May 23, 2011 at 12:41 am | Permalink

Oh my gawd, I love Edd. I am so glad they didn’t forget him! Whoever is cast better have that hilarious flat tone and acceptance of his brutally unfortunate existance. :D

141. paulgude
    Posted May 23, 2011 at 2:02 am | Permalink

Sara,

I’m hoping for Dylan Moran.

142. Juhan
    Posted May 23, 2011 at 4:38 am | Permalink

Steven Wright IS dolorous edd, basically:

143. Sara
    Posted May 23, 2011 at 5:40 am | Permalink

paulgude,

I know that actor vaguely, so I can’t picture him as Edd. I’m sure all I’ve seen him in was Shaun Of The Dead.

Juhan,

YES. EXACTLY LIKE THIS. lol

144. JDP
    Posted May 23, 2011 at 5:44 am | Permalink

I always pictured Edd as having a brummie accent. Jasper Carrot as Dolorous Edd? lol :)

145. dizzy_34
    Posted May 23, 2011 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Late to the party on this one but I’m glad to see all the Elena Satine “love”. Nice to see these threads again.

-”We must defend the wall to the last man”
    -”Probably me…”

146. TPFKA Thoros of Myr
    Posted May 23, 2011 at 10:23 am | Permalink

paulgude,

“awful manager”.. working hard to strike out of my mind the idea of a “The Office/ Game of Thrones” mashup in casting..

147. Luke-WarmHands
    Posted May 23, 2011 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Felagund: Face it guys, there are no black minorities in Westeros, blacks are only present in the Summer Islands. Deal with it

A few parts could be filled by black actors just not many. That being said, Idris Elba for Dario! Get Stringer on the show!

148. paulgude
    Posted May 23, 2011 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Sara,

He’s a much different character in “Black Books,” if you ever get the chance to see it.

149. paulgude
    Posted May 23, 2011 at 11:27 am | Permalink

TPFKA Thoros of Myr,

Well, perhaps not *that* bad, but certainly similar in the “no one has any love for you” department as Gervais’ DB.

150. Grujah
    Posted May 23, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Mormegil:
    Always pictured Dolorous Ed as Roger Lloyd Pack.

OMG You Genius! Trigger would make an perfect Edd. :D

151. Sara
    Posted May 23, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

paulgude,

I’ll try to see that. Some of my best laughs from the books came from Edd, so I’m really hoping they get a great deadpan actor for him. I’m still so happy they included most of the Night’s Watch boys, it expands Jon’s story and the comraderie. We just need a good Edd to balance it out. =]

152. paulgude
    Posted May 24, 2011 at 12:57 am | Permalink

Sara,

The great thing about Edd is that an unknown actor had a chance to shine by channeling him just right.

I had the same experience recently with Bronn, because most of us in the USA never lived through the actor’s previous fame. He’s great.

153. JoshinAz
    Posted May 24, 2011 at 2:15 am | Permalink

The more I read Edd’s quotes, the more I picture Bruce Campbell saying them…

Please call me crazy.

154. LanLanLurker
    Posted May 24, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Sorry to come late to this dolorous celebration, but I’m now even closer to believing that the role of Davos will go to Rufus Sewell. He’s a Brit, no stranger to period pieces, has a decent amount of fame but not too much to be expensive, comfortable wearing a beard, and can play younger or older as the part requires.

Furthermore, if you check his IMDB, you will see that he is set to play in a film titled “The Sea”…set in Ireland, and one of his costars in that film is one Ian McElhinney (aka Ser Barristan), and another is Ciaran Hinds (HBO’s Ceasar), and the lovely Rosamund Pike (One of my choices for Melisandre). Shot at the Paint Hall I’ll wager.

Also looking back in his carreer, Sewell has shared the screen with Mark Addy(aka Robert Baratheon) in “A Knights Tale”… Seems like more than coincidence to me, or perhaps just a damn good agent. Although I think he would make a better Davos, I wouldn’t be surprised if they shave him and cast him as Stannis either. He could do both.

155. Onos Toolan
    Posted May 27, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

There is only one man who could play Dolorous Edd and that man is Karl Pilkington!

156. paulgude
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 12:38 am | Permalink

Onos Toolan,

I very much like this idea.

Although, come to think of it, I wouldn’t say no to Mackenzie Crook.

157. Jericho
    Posted May 30, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

what do you think this actress to Asha?

Has a right nose, right?

158. R-Winn
    Posted May 30, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Jericho,

This is actually exactly as I pictured her. The moment the photo loaded I was definitely on board.

159. Warglock
    Posted May 31, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

I hope Aeron “Damphair” Greyjoy will not be cut, but the actor I envisioned to play his role was John Bennet, the priest in the opening scene in the Fifth Element. He has the look, the voice, everything. Sadly, he passed back in 2005. He would have been the perfect Damphair.

160. The DarkStar
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

I’m disappointed we haven’t heard anything yet.

161. wulfhund
    Posted July 10, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

I don’t know if he has been mentioned for Dolorous Edd yet and although he’s probably cast, but was just watching Ironclad and thought Mackenzie Crook fit the bill pretty well, he is picture perfect as I would imagine Edd.

1. [...] Winter Is Coming Tags: George Martin, HBO, le cronache del ghiaccio e del fuoco Serie: Game of Thrones [...]