Quick Hits: End of the world edition
By Winter Is Coming on in News, Press.

Depending on how things go tonight, this may be our last post ever. Let’s make it a good one. Your weekly blast of Game of Thrones news from around the web this past week.

• TitanCon has added a new Game of Thrones cast member to their guest list: Miltos Yerolemou! He joins Kristian Nairn as the second Thrones cast member to be confirmed as attending. Many more have agreed in principle and are just waiting to hear the filming schedule to know whether they will be in town or not. TitanCon will be on Sept 24 at the Belfast Convention Center. More details can be found at their website, www.titancon.com. And follow their Twitter @TitanConBelfast for continued updates.
  • Two new interviews with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau: one at Vulture and one at Westeros.org. Both good reads, but the Vulture one is slightly spoilery. Also worth a read: this interview with Emilia Clarke at TV.com.
  • TV Guide has an article about the Dothraki language and it includes some popular phrases translated into Dothraki.
  • The Times of Malta has an article on Game of Thrones filming there that has interviews with some of the local actors that were in the show and a rundown of the filming locations used.
  • Big news for a member of the Thrones cast: Conan Stevens has been cast in The Hobbit! He will play the orc warrior Azog. You can read Conan’s reaction to the news at his website. Congrats Conan!
  • Matt Marquez of Ology picks the five best scenes so far in Game of Thrones. What do you think? Do you agree with him?
  • A Variety article talks about how Game of Thrones has boosted Northern Ireland’s economy and is being referred to as Northern Ireland’s Lord of the Rings.
  • Making Game of Thrones has a new post with a quote from Harry Lloyd about how he manages to make Viserys a bit more human in the show.
  • A Podcast of Ice and Fire recently had Larry Williams of OtakuASSEMBLE on their podcast to discuss his thoughts on the show so far and also to join them in their recap of episode 5.
  • The streaming service HBO GO is now also available to HBO subscribers in Slovenia, Serbia, and Bosnia & Herzegovina. Just in time for this Sunday’s 2-in-1 special offer!

1. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 10:54 am | Permalink

ROFL I read that wrong. At first I thought you said that Conan Stevens had been cast AS the Hobbit.

2. Sawyer
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 10:55 am | Permalink

come on, guys.. it’s just impossible that the world goes down before the prince gets his golden crown..besides where is the red comet?

3. Dash
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 10:59 am | Permalink

21 may end of the world? too many prophecies all around… i guess i will spend the night in the spanishrevolution ;)

4. Lord Ned's Head
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Ok. I’ll bite. What’s the spanishrevolution?

5. ogbebaba
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 11:28 am | Permalink

last post ever???? as in no more winter is coming? that would completely suck please tell me that is not what your saying…

6. Yeremiah
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink

ogbebaba,

no the world is ending WiC will just be collateral damage

7. Oi!
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 11:46 am | Permalink

YES, we just got HBO HD and now a week later we have HBO GO…. *Happy dance*

8. EvilPicnic
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 11:49 am | Permalink

ogbebaba

Have no fear, WiC is just riffing on some thick-as-two-short-planks fundies

9. purplejilly
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 11:59 am | Permalink

I KNEW something was wrong when I couldn’t get my hbogo to work last night. Must be end of the world rumblings starting. I know I asked for Viserys to not get his golden crown, but I didn’t mean for the Lord to take it to THIS extreme.

Or maybe all this “ADwD is finished!” has just been baloney, all the while GRRM has been working out a deal with the One to do some fancy distracting so that he can have a few more months to really finish..

10. Fish
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

they added Serbia, Bosnia, Slovenia, but not Croatia ? seems strange and unfair :(

and lol at last post ever, was worried for a bit, until i read in some of the comments what it’s about :)

11. DawnWielder
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

there’s a very funny parody out on episode 1 and 2, show love so they keep making them

12. Lorena
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Lord Ned’s Head,

Here in Spain we are protesting that Banks are just thinking in making money with large mortages and such, and politicians not just allow it but they help them. In every corner we see how noone cares about regular people, just keeping the money by themselves. It’s because of Banks that there is so much unemployment. The world is sick.

So, tomorrow there are municipal elections and lots of people have gathered to protest. We want to change politics so that it can become a real democracy. Will ever the world change??!! I would like to believe that yes…

Barcelona

13. Cirothecarius
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

“Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!”

14. kg
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

No one expects a KG post!

15. kerning
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Last post?? Then WiC needs an agnostic/atheist on staff! Whatever happens, I know I’ll be around to catch the next eps. Once the chaos clears. ;) Yay!

16. EvilPicnic
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

kerning

Absolutely! GoT cannot be stopped! Well, it’s half-past six here in Cardiff, so I’d best get ready to go out on some post-Rapture looting :)

17. Dani Parlatore Daly
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Way to go, Conan! As if The Hobbit wasn’t going to be cool enough!

18. Mike Chair
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Ice and fire falling from the sky,
    10 years of winter,
    direwolves and shadow cats living together,
    Mass hysteria!

19. Dave Brownell
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Lorena,

completely agreed. Banks need to be brought down.
    Its not the end of the world, just the ends of things as we know it :). Revolution might be what will really happen. And to the religious nuts around the world this really would be like doomsday to them, a real change in their minds that prove their beliefs are completely unfounded in reality. It will be a GREAT awakening, something this whole planet needs humans as a whole to do.

NP: G.M. Vincent & I – Comeback Kid

20. Steve
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

I thought I was a nitpicker, but that podcast is almost as bad as the Boomtron one. Nitpicking over the mountain clan weapons? lol..

21. Mick J
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Larry. Motherf**king. Williams. Love this guy.

22. Bene
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

seems like were still here.

i am wondering: will this prescheduled hbo-go episode be shown on usual tv? or how does it work.
    what im after: is there going to be a torrent of that one as well?

Posted May 21, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Mick J:
    Larry. Motherf**king. Williams. Love this guy.

I watched his Pirates of the Caribbean 4 review last night. He gave the film two thumbs down, but the review was awesome. He has a great rant about “bullshit 3D films” starting at 16:27.

Gonna check out the podcast now…

24. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Fish,

Well they did say the BALKAN peninsula will be getting HBO-go and since Croatia is in Central Europe… But yes I do hope that they won’t be screwing around for much longer and will give us HBOgo soon…

25. Tar Kidho
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Beer: check! Chips: check! Camera ready: check!

Bring it on End Of The World, I’m ready for ya, and you better make us go with a nice big colourfull BANG!!!

26. Tar Kidho
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

I just voted on the poll and Total Voters number was 555. Had it been 666 I would have mildly freaked out, no I’m just downright SCAREd because surely this must be the Number of the End ;-)

27. MW
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Time Warner Cable can HBO GO to hell.

Posted May 21, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I found that APOIAF podcast really hard to listen to. Larry Williams was awesome, but man… they are major nitpickers. They were hating on some of the BEST scenes! Ser Gregor’s horse, the Littlefinger/Varys scene, etc. I could hardly stomach listening to Chase, but thankfully Mimi kept telling him to shut up!

29. Justin Briscoe
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Ya it is hard to get through the podcast sometimes, but it is entertaining when it’s not pissing me off.

30. Arrogant Bastard
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Lex,

I think I’ll skip the podcast then, it’s not much fun listening to people nitpicking about the tiniest details. I listened to the one on westeros.org with MTV Geek and the two MTV guys manage to complain about scenes they liked (“Varys wouldn’t make that facial expression!”). Just out of curiosity, what could they possibly complain about with Gregor’s horse?

31. Petter Kristian Vikestad
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Exactly what I was thinking. Several cringeworthy moments during that podcast. I mean, how can they not like the added Littlefinger/Varys scene? If you ask me, they should have asked Larry more questions about his impression of characters like Theon, Varys and Littlefinger.

32. ablaaa
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Nicolaj Coster-Waldau gives very, very fulfilling answers to all his questions. Always a pleasure to read interviews with him.

33. purplejilly
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Justin Briscoe,
    I think Larry actually seems like a very, very nice young man, and was a bit taken aback by how they start off ranting about dicks and whores – I think the APOIAF (first time I have listened to it) comes off as a bit crass, but Larry did a very good job of staying cool and staying respectful.

34. Mimi Miéville
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Petter Kristian Vikestad,

i didn’t like the scene because it was incredibly uncharacteristic for these two subversive, secretive men to be one-upping each other in the throne room. i understand why it was crafted for television, and appreciate the fine acting, but the scene was not a shining display of subtlety.

the podcast isn’t for everyone, and i totally get that. we’ve been discussing the show for so long together that it’s hard for a new listener to pick up on how much we appreciate it, despite particular gripes.

35. silverjaime
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

ogbebaba:

My thoughts exactly! I nearly had a fit!

36. Skyweir
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Petter Kristian Vikestad,

Yeah, this was the last podcast of ice and fire I am listening to for a while. A lot of petty nitpicking, and when you take into account that they are not really that rigorous in their research and make a lot of small mistakes themselves when discussing the books, it just becomes obnoxious

37. Dani Parlatore Daly
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

RE: The Podcast of Ice and Fire…

These guys and gals have been podcasting about the series for 3 years or so now, they’re not HATERS of the show! LOL

I happened to have really liked the episode, but I appreciated the stuff that they were saying. Some of it I agreed with, some of it was ludicrous, most of it was hilarious.

It’s not for the faint-of-heart, by ANY means. So, if you can’t handle honest criticism and a lot of tongue-in-cheek silliness, by all means, stay away :)

-Dani

Posted May 21, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Arrogant Bastard,

It seemed they all disliked the Gregor/horse scene. It was brief, but they mentioned it looking fake, too disturbing, not subtle enough, etc. For me, that scene was just absolute insanity! One of the best moments of the series so far. I am shocked that anyone could dislike it!

As for the Littlefinger/Varys scene… yeah, I can see someone finding it odd that they’re speaking fairly loudly in the throne room (I also felt this way when Varys was in Ned’s room, telling huge secrets. He closed the shutters, but there was still a wide open balcony). But I can’t understand how such a small detail can outweigh the fantastic dialogue and acting. The scene is an absolute pleasure to watch.

39. Justin Briscoe
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Dani Parlatore Daly,

I wouldn’t say they are fans of the show. I think some of them are fans, but I think a better description would be fans of the books who are watching the show. Chase doesn’t seem to like the show at all.

40. Arrogant Bastard
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Mimi Miéville,

Is it that out of character though? In ACOK Varys goes out of his way to meet Tyrion at the brothel where he keeps Shae just to show Tyrion how much he knows. Also, Littlefinger blatantly shows Tyrion the dagger that he set him up with in one of their meetings together. I didn’t see it as too big of a stretch that Littlefinger and Varys would spar with each other and test each other’s knowledge.

41. Dani Parlatore Daly
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Justin Briscoe,

Justin, it seems you are focusing on just the things they didn’t love. But, you’re neglecting to mention the things they’ve gushed over, like Maisie’s portrayal of Arya, Mark Addy’s King Robert, the beauty of the production value…

To be honest, I think it would be boring indeed to listen to thoughtless praise all the time.

42. Dani Parlatore Daly
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Arrogant Bastard,

but none of that happened in the middle of the throne room, a room with great acoustics LOL

(I also happen to love that scene, but can understand why people wouldn’t care for it.)

43. Matthias Hinkelmann
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

guess nothing happened… 23.38 here in europe… still going well… good night folks!

See you tomorrow

Posted May 21, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Dani Parlatore Daly,

It felt like 80% / 20% negative vs. positive talk.

45. Arrogant Bastard
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Interesting, the horse’s death looked real enough to me and it’s pretty hard to be subtle about a seven foot knight chopping off a horse’s head. Plus, it’s straight from the book. I also thought it was definitely the best episode so far, and even though it probably had the most new scenes, it felt the most faithful episode to the book so far because the scenes from the book didn’t feel rushed at all.

46. Abyss
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

And here I am again with two new versions of the GOT theme. I can offer a Electro version and a Medieval version.

47. Mimi Miéville
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Arrogant Bastard,

both excellent points. i definitely see some flaunting from the players towards pawns (like varys to ned, everyone to tyrion, etc.) but the players tipping their hands among each other feels very off, to me. however, that could be due to the restriction of POVs in the series versus the ability to show us “off-page” encounters on the show. i also just made up that term. it sounded less stupid in my head.

48. NickS
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

can’t believe Serbia is getting HBO Go before Time Warner Cable…

/facepalm

49. david ahern
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Lex,

totally agree man. the nitpicking was ridiculous. that guy chase is a total muppet,he was giving out because ser loras had a helmet belonged to some other really minor character in the book! larry williams rules!

Posted May 21, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

david ahern,

Just got to the very end of the podcast, and it got A LOT worse! Nothing but pure hate at the end. They even called a couple guests, and one girl was clearly very reluctant to even admit that she liked the episode! Then everyone else was like “No, it was bad. It was really bad.”

Brutal. I tried to enjoy the podcast at first, but honestly I can’t believe anyone could enjoy listening to this.

51. Mimi Miéville
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Lex:

if you’re talking about christina, she was pretty drunk. i wouldn’t mistake that for reluctance.

52. david ahern
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Dani Parlatore Daly,

relevant criticism is fine, but some of it was just absurd and pointless and completely irrelevant

Posted May 21, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Mimi Miéville,

Being drunk had nothing to do with it. To me it clearly sounded like she was reluctant and ashamed to admit that she liked it, because she knew the rest of you hated it. It felt like a little peer-pressure culture of nerdhate, which is kind of sad.

Nothing against you guys, I just can’t stand listening to that kind of negativity.

54. Andreas Papaelias
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Lex,

I have to say, I share your sentiments wholeheartedly. I’m now glad I didn’t listen to the whole thing. I stopped listening when Larry left.

55. Mimi Miéville
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Lex,

it’s a shame you got that vibe from the call. christina has been a guest host multiple times, and she’s never been afraid to express her opinions.

i’m not trying to dissuade you from your hatred of the podcast, you’re clearly not alone in your opinion and i respect that. i am just disappointed that the entire podcast is being judged based on chase’s nerd rants and that our snarky humor is being misconstrued as serious anger.

56. david ahern
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Lex,

i know man,i turned it off after hearing chase moan about ser loras tyrells helmet. when i heard that i knew the rest was going to be pretty bad. i hate listening to all that negativity. especially after when i first watched the episode i was buzzing from head to toe! if they cannot appreciate the amazing work that david and dan are doing on the show ,then they should not watch it. i am a huge fan of the books and i cannot believe they are so critical. they have got so much,so right its incredible. the actors,sets,tone, atmosphere and pace is perfect. i can forgive some slight errors

57. david ahern
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Mimi Miéville,

i like you mimi though,you were actually pretty funny(and cute too ;-)

58. Czar
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

New Froggy post from notablog. Looks like we´re gonna have new hints for season 2.

Hiya, Kids, Hiya, Hiya

I’ll be back soon, I will, I will.

Watch this space.

59. Jenn Rose
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

I loved episode 5 a whole hell of a lot. I also love A Podcast of Ice and Fire a whole hell of a lot. Sometimes I agree with em, sometimes I roll my eyes, but I always, always laugh. And laughing is good for you. It is known.

60. Justin Briscoe
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Mimi Miéville,

I actually like the podcast, but there are moments where I nerd rage over the nerd rage. Still it gets me laughing pretty consistently so I can’t say I don’t like it. I guess some frustration comes from listening to nitpicking and not being able to offer a counterpoint, but that is true of any podcast.

Anyway I still like it, keep it up. Even though my previous post looked like I was a hater.

61. Dani Parlatore Daly
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Jenn Rose:

exactly!

Posted May 21, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Mimi Miéville:
    Lex,

i’m not trying to dissuade you from your hatred of the podcast, you’re clearly not alone in your opinion and i respect that.i am just disappointed that the entire podcast is being judged based on chase’s nerd rants and that our snarky humor is being misconstrued as serious anger.

I don’t hate it! I just found it very hard to listen to. It’s not for me, I guess, but that doesn’t mean I hate your podcast. And like I said, I thought you did a great job of keeping Chase in check for the most part. :)

I think you need a resident positive fan of the show, to lighten the mood.

63. Joohnson
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Jenn Rose:

This. It is known, yes.

64. Arrogant Bastard
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Czar,

Interesting, in the comments section he mentions seeing auditions for Xaro Xhoan Daxos and Dolorous Edd; I thought they would have been cut, glad to hear they’re in.

65. JenSnow
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Jenn Rose:

Add me to the list of people who love A Podcast of Ice and Fire as well. To me it’s always funny and I’ve enjoyed listening to all of the episodes. Yes they nitpick, but then again so do I sometimes. As much as I love the books and wanted to love the show just as much, it certainly has its faults. I’m willing to overlook them though and try and just enjoy the show for what it is, but that doesn’t mean I don’t get frustrated with the little things sometimes. Also, I for one enjoyed the “after show” part once Larry left the call.

66. Split
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Mimi: Keep on keeping on!

67. JRQ
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

GRRM says in the comments:

“Haven’t seen any auditions for Stannis yet, but I expect they are coming soon. But yes on Melisandre… and on Ygritte, Asha, Xaro Xhoan Daxos, Davos, Dolorous Edd, Margaery Tyrell, Brienne, and many more… as usual, Nina Gold has found some great actors for us.”

Omg. *GoT-gasm*

68. JonSnow'sBastard
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

JRQ:
    “…as usual, Nina Gold has found some great actors for us.”

I would imagine this time around she might have an even larger number of agents approaching her with showreels and headshots!

69. Amin
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Hey Lex. I am actually that resident positive fan of the show, but due to my terrible mic (wasn’t using my usual my headset) we had to cut out the majority of my talking the last podcast =P

That’s why I was a little shocked when we got all these comments saying we hate the show. That last episode was one of my favourites, lol.

Check out episode 44 (guys night out) [and the corresponding girls night out after] if you end up giving the podcast a second chance in the future =) We had Fabio guest hosting with us on that one.

70. Poe to the Pulps
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

If your unvarnished love of the tv series is so brittle and weak that you can’t bear to listen to other people disagree with you and you would rather reside in the echo chamber of your own opinion which you mistake to be fact, then don’t come to the Podcast of Ice and Fire.

I have disagreed vehemently with the overall impression of every episode of the podcast concerning the series, namely they have been too positive of the tv series, which you haters would know, if you were not so uneducated about the podcast. But I still listen because I have been listening to them for a while, after all, they have been podcasting for THREE YEARS. If you are late the party, don’t be surprised you don’t get what’s going on.

Skyweir:
    Petter Kristian Vikestad,

Also, if you want to flaunt your PhDs in Westeros History and Martin Literature, it’s not my place to say, but put your money where your mouth is. Try to get on the podcast with them and see how well you can hang.

Elio and Linda, the founders of Westeros.org DID.

Alex, co-founder of Tower of the Hand DID.

Winter is Coming, FaBio, and HearMeRoar DID.

I’m certain your knowledge of ASOIAF surpasses them all.

Otaku Assemble (Larry Williams) DID.

purplejilly: Larry did a very good job of staying cool and staying respectful.

LOL…of course when he wasn’t talking about how he can pull hot girls (views on Scott Pilgrim) and his ‘build’ (defending his anime buds)…which is fine and endearing in a way, but don’t pull that lame ‘crass’ crap.

Lex: Anyway, the podcast still had some good moments. I liked hearing them unanimously praise Maisie Williams (I’ve come to accept that I’m a Maisie fanboy). But it was odd to hear so much criticism of what I’d consider the best episode so far. I guess it really just comes down to people’s varying ability to be open-minded about changes and additions.

Yeah, but come on, everyone who is a fan of the books, has an opinion on how things should be done, so when things happen differently….OR NOT AT ALL (you all know of what I speak of….), we have a right to voice them.

And it’s like you are ALWAYS either Open-minded or ALWAYS Close-minded, it ebbs and flows, that’s real life.

If you don’t handle that, then it’s best not to listen, which is fine. Pretty annoying to have to read about it on the threads here and back on the own podcast site itself, since it spreads an inaccurate critique of the podcast and the podcasters themselves, excepting Chase. :P

*For the record, 72% of the posters on the Podcast Forum gave Ep. 5 either 4/5 or 5/5 Lemon Cakes, only 10% gave it 1 bowl of brown.

71. Christina Kolb
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Lex,

I will state for the record: 1) I was drunk, 2) it was 4 AM in the part of the world I live and therefore I was tired. Because of 1 and 2, I had forgotten many of the details of the show and also because I was called suddenly without any warning to prepare. My more coherent answer is that I liked this episode, but I didn’t love it. One of the things I really liked was the pacing – it was very tight and ramped up throughout to get to the big fight at the end. I really liked the Robert/Cersei scene, because I happen to like the show’s iteration of Cersei. You will note that Gods on High Elio and Linda from the Westeros forums and GRRM’s personal information slaves did not like that scene, so you can’t put all the “hate” blame squarely on the podcasters. And lastly, if you go back and listen to past podcasts, you can tell that the podcasters do in fact like the show (even Chase whose deep voice I think tends to dominate the conversation). This just happened to be the episode where the praise from past shows had already been stated and are now considered apparent, so perhaps the conversation did creep into the negative. Lastly, you have to understand the humor of these people.
    I was not bullied, and I was not intimidated to tell my opinion. My silence was more based on wanting to listen to what everyone had to say, since I did not know what happened before I was added to the conversation. And also because I was tired and hungry. I made a chicken quesadilla after we hung up. And it was delicious. That is all.

Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Just to be clear, I have listened to a couple other episodes, a long time ago. When Phil was a guest for the first time, and some other random episode. Both of those were before the show began, and I didn’t notice much negativity at all. Maybe it’s more negative now that they’re discussing the show.

It’s not that I can’t handle people disagreeing with me. Not at all. But a bunch of people talking about how much they dislike the show does not make for an enjoyable listening experience. Even the podcasters agreed that Larry Williams’ enthusiasm is infectious (that’s why I like watching his reviews). But the nitpicking and negativity is also infectious, in a bad way. It’s a buzz kill for me.

I have lots of little criticisms of my own (for the record, I’m not a fan of the Robert/Cersei scene)… but I prefer discussing (and listening to discussions) of all the awesome parts. It’s just a lot more fun!

I do like the humour, by the way (I don’t find it too crass or offensive). I will probably check out the episode with FaB, because I was planning on it back then and never got around to it. (BTW, are the episodes always so long?)

@ Poe: And for the record, I would probably be very willing to go on the podcast. But considering that I don’t run any GOT-blogs or websites, or publish any reviews, I don’t see why they’d even want me as a guest. I’m just a random fan.

73. Fire And Blood
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

FaBio loves APoIaF, because, for me, the snark is at exactly the right level. And they don’t hold themselves above anything or anyone. You’re as likely to hear Mimi crack on herself as you are to hear her crack Chase. There are no egos there, only opinions.

And if they were a 45-minute podcast of “Awww, everything is fluffy bunnies and thornless roses,” it would be torture.

Hell, I don’t agree with a large portion of the shit they say, but so long as they can take as well as they can dish out, I’ll listen.

Posted May 21, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood:

I think I’m gonna start that podcast. :)

75. Mimi Miéville
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

Lex:

sorry to interject again, but most of our guest host episodes have featured random fans who have emailed us and asked to join in.

76. Fire And Blood
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

I vote Lex as next guest. Hell, he runs LEXICOPIA. Which is cool.

Mims, can we send Lex to you as a sort of peace offering to House Blackwoody?

Or as food?

77. Fire And Blood
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Speaking of Lexicopia, how the HELL do you not have current pics for Pyp, Grenn, or Waymar?!

Slackmonkey!

78. Fire And Blood
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Also, I would so put in that picture of a dead Jon Arryn with those creepy rocks over his eyes. Just so.

Posted May 21, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood:

Mims, can we send Lex to you as a sort of peace offering to House Blackwoody?

Or as food?

LOL. If I’m a guest, can the episode be called “A Podcast of NICE and fire”? I’m gonna bring the love.

Also, yeah, I’ve been lazy with the cast gallery, I know. I plan on perfecting it before the end of Season 1!

80. Beastling
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Well, it’s 6:38 pm on May 21…and no Jesus! So we get to watch Game of Thrones tomorrow!

81. Justin Briscoe
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

Beastling,

You’re going to jinx it.

Posted May 21, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood:

Slackmonkey!

Okay, I just updated 13 headshots. :)

83. Poe to the Pulps
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Lex,

I appreciate your perspective. Episode 5 was the first episode I liked from start to finish, and since the general opinion of the podcasters from episodes 1 to 3, podcast 4 was lost, that the show was great, while I thought the show had series problems, I was about to merrily jump on the bandwagon, which as we both know, wasn’t the case. So imagine my buzz kill, though the afterparty made up for it, and if you don’t listen to the podcast regularly, it would have been lost on you how hilarious it was, inside jokes et al.

I mentioned the founders of those other sites, and this one, as rebuke to this oft repeated, but curiously never really followed up with actual examples idea, of the podcasters not knowing the book series very well or being haters, it’s practically a cliche now. My point was that if the podcast was truly filled with ignorant and spiteful haters of GRRM, I don’t think those founders would have come on the podcast. It’s the Podcast of Ice and Fire, not ‘Is Winter Coming?’

The Podcast guest hosts are overwhelmingly not founders of major websites, just browse through the descriptions, of 5o plus podcasts, maybe 6-8 have founders/members of major fandom websites, and this has been a very recent development. The rest are fans of the novels and the podcasters, talking about the books, making fun of each other, being ‘crass,’ and having fun.

I love the other sites and get alot of my info from them, but the Podcast is a pretty tight community of people and when someone/s talking $h!t, real or imagined, some of us, start throwing grenades, rather than not.

I meant no offense, Lex.

I listen to the podcasts while working (work in the food business, so alot of prepping and washing dishes, etc…so busy work and can let my mind wander to something beyond what is at hand) and the Podcast has been a great source of entertainment and community for me and hundreds of other people.

84. Drfunk
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

Is there anyone else dreading the last 5 episodes? I’ve read some disturbing comments from George’s not a blog site that some people got REALLY offended that Lady died (whereas Mycah’s dead gave out a snort). Without giving out spoilers, HBO might lose a good chunk of casual viewers. This series is epic without a doubt but it’ll give out heart attacks to the fresh newbies who haven’t read the books. Hoping that they have faith in the story and not the characters.

PS: On a side note things better play out the way it did in the books. Stuff like Lafayette surviving (because he was a crowd favorite) will NOT do in this series.

85. koinosuke
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

Just throwing my voice in to add that I too love the Podcast of Ice and Fire, despite occasionally being blown away by the negativity (mostly by Chase, but his deep bass voice is too glorious to hate). The appeal of aPoIaF is that it really is like listening to a bunch of (especially witty and intelligent) friends shooting the shit about both the books and GoT, and to me that’s a hell of a lot more appealing than listening to pedantic fanboys who only say things I agree with. Can’t wait to hear their take on episode 6 next week!

86. The DarkStar
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 2:11 am | Permalink

I agree with Lex. It’s tough on the ears listening to people who view the show though the lens of the books. Nothing is as good as the written word, and IMO, Martins words are the best. But…Mimi is a great host and holds a podcast dedicated to the works I love and I’m grateful for all of their contributions.
    It would be nice if they could be a bit more on the positive side, considering I think any fan is happy to see ASOIAF come to life on the screen.

87. Kennef
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 3:12 am | Permalink

I’m a fan of the A Podcast of Ice and Fire, but sometimes it can be a real buzzkill. I was really excited to hear what they thought of the (in my eyes) fantastic episode 5, and was caught off-guard by their negativity and hatred towards some scenes. My bad, though, because I already knew that they have a gift for being really nitpicky and negative at times. ;) It should be said that Chase seems to be a lot less negative towards the show now that he’s watched it than before it started airing, believe it or not. I was seriously considering whether I wanted to keep listening to APoIaF once Game of Thrones went on the air, because it was at times depressing to hear how awful and WRONG everything was.

I’ll keep listening, because I usually do enjoy the crazy ramblings of these people, but my enjoyment of the podcast would probably increase quite a lot if they reined in the negativity a little bit. Maybe you could force Chase to be jolly and positive about everything for an entire podcast? That should be suitably creepy!

88. Ser Lemon Cakes
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 3:15 am | Permalink

I’m a fan of APOIF but it does take a few episodes to acclimatise to, like enjoyng Blue Vein Cheese :) It really does have a book readers postitive slant and perhaps are the but I do enjoy it’s ‘female gaze’ equity of viewpoint and Mimi is really starting to be a great host, I agree. Chase is the Dolorus Edd of the ASOIF podcasting world, but you gotta love him for his depth of feeling on matters!

For a more show focused Podcast led by book readers discussing the show with non book viewers in a balanced and non spoiler way, I enjoy the foswar.com Podcast http://foswar.com/?feed=rss2

(No I am not affiliated with it at all!).

89. Ivan Popić
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 3:30 am | Permalink

I have listened to two or three podcasts of ice and fire and I don’t think I’ll tune in again. Nitpickers among the members of the cast are certainly vocal and even if the worst of the nitpickers (Chase if I’m not mistaken) isn’t there somebody starts to channeling him.
    Some criticism was valid but it was drowned in seriously silly nitpicking. Bronn isn’t pretty enough (he’s supposed to be pretty?) or Mountain isn’t tall enough (he is 2,10 m tall! How much taller would be tall enough?).
    I enjoyed the Larry’s part in the podcast but the rest of it just got on my nerves, nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking isn’t my idea of fun or humor.

90. Ashley Blackwoody
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 3:53 am | Permalink

I unfortunately was sick for the recording and would consider myself as positive for the most part. when i nitpick, i always do so jokingly and try to point out how ridiculous we are (even hound/sansa stuff I try to make a point that i’m aware of how ridiculous idolizing such a pairing is). sometimes i just break out laughing when Chase goes on his rants, because it’s just that, ridiculous.

Anyways, both Amin and I initially came from the westeros boards and as such we tend to be better with the details, I don’t think we’re too bad at getting details right when we’re both on the ball. but now it just sounds like i’m making excuses. love us or hate us, we’re not going anywhere.

91. SugarVampire
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 5:18 am | Permalink

Mimi Miéville,

The DarkStar,

Just have to add my 2 cents on aPoIaF.
    Love the podcasts in general, love Mimi’s voice, humor and energy. A huge Mimi’s fan except for her new avartar headshot in facebook and here. (nitpicking :-) )

However, it is not a cup of tea for everyone and that’s what I like about. I get all the dry/serious discussion bits from here, TowerOfHand, and various review sites. When I want some entertainment, vocal energies and various viewpoints (off-beat, shocking and manwoody crazy :-) ), I go to aPoIaF.

To be fair about the overall tone of aPoIaF, their guest hosts are usually very knowledgable and positive about GoT adaption. Long time listeners of aPoIaF could usually figure out how each of the regular hosts (Mimi, Amin, Ashley, Chase and Kyle) would respond to each new espisode of GoT. It is their interaction with the guest host that makes me as a listener entertained and fascinated.

Their podcasts are usually a few days late and quite long and time-consuming (45 to 90 minutes). I usually catch all of them in 2 or 3 hearings. I guess that makes it easier on the ears. :-) I have my own strong viewpoints and nothing negative/positive will buzzkill/softkill me about this HBO adaption.

Please support all those who spent months and years of hardworks with little or no play to spread their love of ASoIaF to the world. Their efforts help us rabid fans last all those lean years and will once again help to feed our hunger in the off seasons of 2012/2013/2014 while we are waiting for AWoW to be published. (I am hoping for a 3 yrs writing time for AWoW – a 6 months longer time frame than that of ASoS)

Peace.

92. Muspelheim
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 5:38 am | Permalink

I really like the podcast overall and have probably listened to about half the shows at this point. However I do much prefer when they discuss the book, because the nit-picking of the series can be a bit much for my taste. Or it can just be that some of the tongue-in-cheek nitpicking is somewhat hard to pick up from audio.

I certainly have my own nitpicks (lots of them) and can understand why they tend to dominate discussion, which they do for me as well when talking about the show to friends who have read the books, but it do make for a slightly less enjoyable listening experience for me, in regards to the podcast.

Part of it stems of course from Martins larger-than-life style of description, which is more or less impossible to fully convey in every detail, e.g. things like the mountain in the series is obviously an enormous, huge man and I find it hard to imagine a better casting, but in the books he is literally a giant with entirely unrealistic proportions for a human being; the absolute radiance of golden beauty from Cersei and Jaime etc. It’s just at a level that is not possible to do as well as a reader’s imagination can. Also, a thing like size difference between individuals tends to be somewhat diminished when looking at it on a tv screen, as I’m fairly certain I would likely be overwhelmed by the sheer hugeness of a Conan Stevens and Kristian Nairn if I actually stood next to them in real life.

So while I can somewhat understand criticisms like “the mountain’s not as big as in the books!”‘, at a certain level you just have to recognise that it is a bit of a ridiculous nitpick given the real-life limitations that the series is subject to, like Ashley pointed out.

So the negative slant that some listeners (including myself) find towards the series and is a bit down on, is probably largely due to it being difficult at times to pick up on that the podcasters themselves are (mostly? ^_^) nitpicking in a jokingly way (except Chase probably haha).

93. cersei's ladyparts
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 6:32 am | Permalink

koinosuke:
    JThe appeal of aPoIaF is that it really is like listening to a bunch of (especially witty and intelligent) friends shooting the shit about both the books and GoT, and to me that’s a hell of a lot more appealing than listening to pedantic fanboys who only say things I agree with.

But nitpicking is a lot more pedantic than overly enthusiastic praise surely?

I didn’t enjoy it because of the nitpicks and nitpickers seem like the type of people that would email Larry Williams unsolicited corrections and ruin the spontaneity of the OtakuAssemble reviews.

94. david ahern
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Poe to the Pulps,

wow! hypocrite alert! if you cant deal with other peoples opinions of the podcast then maybe you should not read/comment on them. i personally love the show and think they are doing an amazing job. stop patronizing people!

95. david ahern
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 8:29 am | Permalink

Poe to the Pulps:

Elio and Linda, the founders of Westeros.org DID.

Alex, co-founder of Tower of the Hand DID.

Winter is Coming, FaBio, and HearMeRoar DID.

I’m certain your knowledge of ASOIAF surpasses them all.

Otaku Assemble (Larry Williams) DID.

my comment above was in relation to this post

96. EvilPicnic
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 9:09 am | Permalink

david ahern
    Poe to the Pulps
    Haha, I agree. Criticising people who criticise critics is an exercise in foolishness.

aPoIaF is obviously a great podcast, and that’s demonstrated by the size of its audience and its longevity. But as Chase says at one point, it’s often, ‘nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking’, and it can come across as broadly negative of the show, especially when some of the nitpicks are about stuff like the Sky-Cell not being sloped which is patently untrue. I have listened, have enjoyed, and will continue to listen, but there were some bits I found quite infuriating.

I would also say that for new listeners it can sometimes be difficult to differentiate between ‘we jokingly hate on the show because we love it’, and ‘we hate on the show because we hate it’. I don’t think you can really fault people who are big fans of the show for not enjoying it straight off the bat.

97. Knurk
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 9:41 am | Permalink

I like to listen to he aPoIaF on a regular basis, but I agree that the tv-show recaps are a bit annoying. But I just love that they brought Larry Williams on, too bad they didn’t give him a lot of time to talk about the show.

And for the love of god, let that Chase dude read the books again, all his nitpicks are about some ridiculous details that actually DO happen in the books (the helmet, the bow the Hound made). Good thing he got called out a few times, but it could have happen more often. Some more Chase-hating during these tv-recaps would make the podcast a better listen!

98. Sebastian
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

As someone who’s guest hosted once, I’ll be the first to point out what a good group of folks these people are, and how they don’t discriminate. It didn’t take a whole lot more than expressing my interest, and showing a little knowledge about the series for me to get a chance to guest host. (I got minus points for being a fan of Roy Dotrice, but I still made it in.)

This is a group of folks who have been getting together for the last *3 years* to talk about something they *love* and you have a problem with them because they’re disappointed with some minor aspects of the show, and are talking about them? What are podcasts for? You know the saying.. Opinions are like ***holes, everyone’s got one, and everyone thinks everyone else’s stinks. If you can’t hang, or aren’t open to hearing something you don’t agree with, then these sorts of podcasts aren’t for you.

I’m sure there’s a sycophantic SoIaF podcast out there, but if there isn’t one, then why not make your own? These are not only informational episodes, but are also there for ENTERTAINMENT. That’s the major point in my opinion, these lovely folks have taken something that they feel strongly about, created a podcast, and it’s sprouted into a small but close community of like-minded folks.. (ok, maybe Chase is on the outside occasionally) and for the love of the series, for the camaraderie, they put their hearts and souls (and tons of time!) into it on a regular basis.

TLDR: The podcast rules, take the good with the bad.

Cheers guys keep up the awesome work :)

99. Mimi Miéville
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

SugarVampire:

A huge Mimi’s fan except for her new avartar headshot in facebook and here.(nitpicking )

i changed it just for you, love. :)

Ivan Popić:

i may or may not have had sexual fantasies about bronn, during which he ties me up and makes me call him ‘ser.’ during those, he was pretty good-looking.

cersei’s ladyparts:

I didn’t enjoy it because of the nitpicks and nitpickers seem like the type of people that would email Larry Williams unsolicited corrections and ruinthe spontaneity of the OtakuAssemble reviews.

oh man, are you serious? we absolutely loved everything larry said, and his enthusiastic spontaneity was the reason we asked him to be on the show. i have never emailed anyone a song of ice and fire correction in my life, considering that i need towerofthehand in order to keep my targaryens straight. just saying!

Sebastian:
    As someone who’s guest hosted once, I’ll be the first to point out what a good group of folks these people are, and how they don’t discriminate.It didn’t take a whole lot more than expressing my interest, and showing a little knowledge about the series for me to get a chance to guest host. (I got minus points for being a fan of Roy Dotrice, but I still made it in.)

sorry to burst your bubble, but i only brought you onto the podcast because of how good you look in glasses.

thanks for all the positive comments and helpful criticisms of the podcast, everyone. i understand that we are a divisive production, but we’re doing our best to get our love of ice and fire across our mics. and hopefully some of y’all might find our next few episode recaps to be a bit more pleasant.

100. purplejilly
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Poe to the Pulps,
    Poe, I just found it, in my opinion, a but more crass than what I was expecting. I am sure for many here, the crassness will be a plus :) It just depends on what you like. I would think for the young people, an old person calling them crass is a mark of honor : )

101. cersei's ladyparts
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Mimi Miéville,

I didn’t say you guys were emailing him but I assume that the people who were would have to be that nitpicky to bother to send him corrections. If you can’t handle that Gregor isn’t exactly 8 feet tall I can only imagine the nerdrage after hearing Larry call Jon Arryn the old king.
    Of course the funny thing is that Larry admits that if he read the books beforehand he’d be as nitpicky too.

I can understand why you guys do what you do I have heard podcasts on other topics where everyone agreed and it was boring but I’d love to hear more legitimate criticisms of the show not just nitpicking- for example I like the criticism of the much loved Varys-Littlefinger scene.

102. Ashley Blackwoody
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

i’m really surpised so many liked the varys/littlefinger scene, i just found it so OOC for them and cringed when I watched it. i mean it was a great scene but I look at the adaptation like a fanfiction and that’s definitly something i would call an author on.

103. Poe to the Pulps
    Posted May 22, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

david ahern,

Kudos to Linda of Westeros.org for mentioning this cartoon on Girls Night Night, Part Deux.

104. Pete
    Posted May 23, 2011 at 3:01 am | Permalink

cersei’s ladyparts,

who’s nitpicking now??

105. SugarVampire
    Posted May 24, 2011 at 3:24 am | Permalink

Mimi Miéville,

Wow!!! Thank you. Love your new evil-twin look. :-)