Quick Hits: Comics, rankings, interviews and connections
By Winter Is Coming on in Humor, Merchandise, Press.

Let’s go around the web and take a look at all the Thrones news and notes from this past week:

• We’ll start things off with an announcement of a new feature here at Winter-Is-Coming.net… weekly comics! Mike Rosenzweig, creator of Half Assed and longtime WiC reader, will be creating a new comic each week that ties into the previous Sunday’s episode. The comics will be entitled The Pointy End and can be found exclusively at Winter-Is-Coming.net!
  • Some more Thrones-related humor: the Game of Thrones Parody vids continue to be released and continue to be funny. This Abducted! comic echoes my sentiments exactly. And this love song to Game of Thrones by The Unwashed Mass called “Beards, Boobs and Bean” is hilarious!
  • Another new page is our season two cast page. While we don’t have any actors on there yet, we do have the list of confirmed roles.
  • Game of Thrones is ranked number 1 on The Bastard Machine’s Hollywood Reporter TV Power Rankings. Thrones has been number one each week save one, where it was knocked off the top spot by Justified‘s season finale.
  • Some interviews from this past week: Harry Lloyd with TV Guide, Harry Lloyd with Westeros, Harry Lloyd with Sky Atlantic, Harry Lloyd with Access HollywoodEmilia Clarke with TV Guide, Jason Momoa with TV Guide.
  • The Talking TV with Ryan and Ryan podcast had another episode devoted entirely to Game of Thrones. This time their guests were TV critics James Poniewozik and Myles McNutt. They discuss their thoughts and reactions to the first 6 episodes of Thrones.
  • Some cool, new stuff at the HBO Shop including a “Time to Fly!”,  an “I Made the Eight!”, and some Night’s Watch vow shirts. (The UK HBO Shop has some of these as well.)
  • HBO has launched a new social and “second-screen” service called HBO Connect. For the most part it seems to be a fancy Twitter aggregator. But it also promises some upcoming fan Q&A’s with HBO talent including Jane Espenson, writer of episode 6.
  • UPDATE: Another podcast, this one from Boomtron; it’s their episode 6 review and is guest hosted by none other than our very own Fire and Blood!

1. The Rabbit
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 11:55 am | Permalink

This is great news about the Mike s comics!

But, I am not able to find any thing else on the subject…

Photos

2. Dennai
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

“Boobs, beards and Bean. What more can I ever need?”

Soooo true.

Posted May 28, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Love the comic idea! well done, didn’t see that feature coming ;)

4. Dennai
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

I coudn’t help but notice that in the season 2 cast page there’s not a Tully in sight yet.

So far the TV series are really mistreating them. The symbology is worrying: eviscerated fishes in the Throne rooms, silver brooch used as an ill-favoured toy by a disgruntled kid…

5. clemintine
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Why don’t they have a “I made the eight” tee in women’s sizes?

6. Mike Rosenzweig
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Hey, I just wanted to say a public thank ya to Winter, FaB, and the whole crew here! Looking forward to making some comics!

7. Oracle
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

is there away to download the podcast?

pardon me if its obvious and i’m stupid

8. DawnWielder
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

That comic did give me a laugh

9. SeanFan
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit: This is great news about the Mike s comics!btw, I have noticed some photos on the internet from some kind of press confernce related to Thrones and held in London, few days ago.But, I am not able to find any thing else on the subject…Photos

I was just coming here to post about the press conference pics also! Thanks for the link! I thought it strange that they would hold a press conference when the season’s series is over half way done! Usually those are held before a show airs like the one held at the Los Angeles Langham Hotel in January. BTW……interesting that the same hotel chain hosted both! Anyways…….everyone looks fabulous! Hope that some podcast or vid pops up online of this. I would love to hear what they all said!

10. sjwenings
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

The pointy end comic was awful! 1 out of 10.

Parody vids are pretty good. At least the ep 5 one.

11. Blackfish Blues
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

I’ll keep hating HBO until they start selling stuff in the rest of Europe. Period.

12. Hollyoak
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Really strange. There is supposed to be a Thrones marathon on HBO right now, but there is not. It even says Game of Thrones when I press INFO on the remote, although a movie is on.

I wasn’t going to watch anyway. Gonna watch soccer championship.

13. superdeluxe
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Permalink
  14. Morrigan
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Regarding the cast page… does that mean they’ve cut Quorin Halfhand?? I seriously hope not…

What about Pyat Pree and Qaithe? Little screen time I know (and Quaithe wears a mask) so maybe they’ll cast minor guys like the wineseller in S1

Posted May 28, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Morrigan, these are just the roles that are confirmed to be in (GRRM mentioned viewing auditions for these roles). All of the ones you mentioned will likely make the cut as well, we just don’t know for sure yet.

16. Abyss
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Found this wonderful mandolin version of the GOT theme.

17. Deagusser
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

wow, those parody vids are supposed to be funny?

18. Lundy
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Why were so many asking when we’d be seeing the red headed whore Ros??? She was in the pilot for chrissake! The so called “expert” at TV guide didn’t know it either. [/rant over]

19. Two Feathers
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Hbo shop is getting better all the time.Got myself a couple of shirts so far.Really love the house wall banners,want them all.Unfortunately they haven`t made it across the narrow sea yet…..or the Nights Watch vow tee shirts.for that matter….Mainland Europe still can`t buy any merchandise!!!??? Whats up with that? I thought that would have been sorted by now.

20. Yeremiah
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

New forum to discuss the show at

21. Bro
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

I wouldn’t mind me some Night’s Watch t-shirts or Stark one for that matter. That one with Jon on the thrones is kinda cool. Does anyone no if there’s a HBO store in Ireland? I’ve never heard of one in Dublin…

22. Two Feathers
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Hey WIC… Any further news on possible new locations for series two? Or is it still all speculation? I assume N.Ireland will be used again for the Winterfell,Castle Black and the Paint Hall sets ? Just wondering , seems very quiet on the ASoIaF front here at the moment.

23. Two Feathers
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Bro:

You have to order on line BRO. The UK store will post to Rep.of Ireland.

24. The Rabbit
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Two Feathers,

Rimshot twitted yesterday the image of GOT sign he spotted somewhere.
    Did not ask him is it new one or that has been left behiend from season 1 filmings.

25. Bro
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Aw cheers for that Two Feathers.
    Time to sweet talk the Dad into borrowing his credit card. *Oh Daddy, you know I love you so and since you wouldn’t get me Sky so I could have Sky Atlantic, this is the ideal solution to this major slip-up of yours, ets, etc*
    Yeh, I can see that working nicely.
    But now I’m off to watch the highlights of the Barca match just so I can bask in the glory of the annihilation of The Pukes, as my Dad calls them.

26. Two Feathers
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

Thanks Rabbit, I am not a twit so I missed that from Rimshot.I hope it is a new sign,I am really looking forward to being back on set again this year(old gods willing), I am sure Rimshot is aswell….Did Silverjamie ever sign up with ExtrasNI?

Posted May 28, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Thanks for adding those new pics to the images gallery. They’re so awesome! Love the shot of Jon and the weirwood. This show rules.

28. Mike Chair
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Lex: This show rules.

Let’s see…
    Tonight we’ve got:
    Red Sox v. Tigers on Fox local;
    Raiders of the Lost Ark on USA;
    MLS Soccer LA v New England on a local sports channel;
    Star Trek: First Contact on Syfy; …
    AND

Game of Thrones marathon

GOT rules indeed.

29. Damphair
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

WiC, it might be a good idea to start posting mini bios with the roles under cast (season 1 and 2). Nothing spoilerish, maybe name, house, and a 1-2 sentence blurb.

Could be a good resource for newbies coming to the site and trying to keep people straight. I know there’s a chart, but it’s a tad … exhaustive for new viewers.

30. The Unwashed Mass
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the mention, folks!

31. Khal Zhen
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

I definitely had to the the Kh’al t-shirt, been using the name online for years. That, and the hand T-shirt and Westros mousepad. There goes the overtime for last week.

32. David Price
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Cool deal with the new comic feature. Just more goodies to the best fan site around. Awesome that they have a made the 8 shirt too.

33. KG
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

Mike Chair,

Wouldn’t be so bad if the Tigers weren’t always so woeful vs. the Sox.

34. KG
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

P. S. The Access Hollywood/Harry Lloyd interview was great. I’d hang out with that guy any day.

35. Quanta
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Listening to the Ryan and Ryan pod cast, I strongly disagree with Mo Ryan’s opinion about how to go about adapting a book to a television series. From the pod cast and reading her reviews, she thinks that D&D have attempted to be too faithful to the books, and that things they aren’t going to have enough time to go over in depth on should have been cut so more time could have been spent on character development of the parts they would have kept. She goes on to admit that this would upset hardcore fans but dismisses this as hardcore fans will be upset no matter what they do.

There are several areas where I take issue with this. First, from what I have seen, fans of the books are generally very happy and very supportive of the series as a whole. There have been some minor “gates” so far in the series but so far nothing Earth shattering. If major story arches had been cut to make more time for other aspects of the story, I doubt this would be the case, and since book fans make up the foundation of the series’s support, I think this would be very detrimental to it’s success.

I also believe that book fans would be very justified in being upset. The nature of the story, particularly in the first book/season is that minor threads grow in importance as some major threads get cut. What is minor now is important later and what is major now is ancient history come the next book/season. If minor threads are cut now what do you do when a major thread ends and focus needs to shift to a new topic if you don’t have minor threads sitting in the background to be brought to the fore? For example, if you were to cut a minor character like Theon Greyjoy, how would one go about handling the Ironborn when they come to more importance later on? Theon is are lead into that story; to introduce them without preamble would be very jarring. If you cut them all together you will have to do a great deal of rewritting, the results of which are not likely to be nearly as good. A Song of Ice and Fire is complexly woven story and cutting even minor threads will spoil the weave.

That said, Mo Ryan is correct in that the lack of character development and drive in the first 4 episodes is a flaw. It took a back seat to plot and setting development. There was a lot of characters, places and history to introduce and the plot had to move forward so we did not get to know the characters as intimately as we would have liked. However, I believe this to be an inevitable flaw to the beginning of any sufficiently complicated story. The only solution, the solution Mo Ryan suggests, is to simplify the story. However, as I argued above, while this may improve the beginning of the story, it is detrimental to the rest. And it is only an improvement to the beginning. As we have seen, once the story has finally been set, we are free to get on with character development. It took four episodes to do but it is done and won’t have to be done again. More back story, characters and places will be revealed as we go on, but it will be done in a more gradual way now that the basics are taken care of. It is not the easiest start, and so requires a greater investment. But it also leads to a bigger reward.

36. purplejilly
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

So my daughter saw a bit of the wolf and the lion, and the scene that stuck in her head most was Cersei getting her ‘badge’ of honor. She drew a picture of it and colored it in with her Sharpie collection. Due to Sue the Pirate and her awesome tumblr collection, I decided to open up a tumblr account, and put up my daughter’s GoT fanart as the first piece. So if you want to see Cersei’s Badge as interpreted by a 1st grader, here you go!

37. koinosuke
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 12:01 am | Permalink

purplejilly,

I appreciate that you don’t coddle your daughter, and I like her imaginative art, but a first grader drawing pictures of spousal abuse does come off as a bit messed up…

38. The Smiling Knight
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 1:31 am | Permalink

Quanta,

Funny thing is – you are both wrong.
    The issue is not in discrepancy between “following the book” in terms of story or characters first. These are not separate things.

The issue is:
    * in producers and writers inability to weave those two together in a smooth, natural way where we get the story THROUGH the characters,

*in insisting on forced hamfisted dialogue expositions of the two issues above

* in lack of any subtlety in revealing important facts and motivations. They leave nothing discrete or mysterious. Either it is cut out or its thrown right in your face in some crudely obvious way.

39. The Smiling Knight
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 1:43 am | Permalink

purplejilly,

Heh. Its funny how she drew Robert, with his belly hanging out even if he wasnt dressed like that in the scene itself.
    But most of all i like the expression on Cersei face. Not only it is an “expression” but its very accurate and telling.

There is a talent there.

koinosuke,
    No. Thats a rather unthinking comment you just made.

Posted May 29, 2011 at 3:23 am | Permalink

koinosuke:
    purplejilly,

Gotta agree here. I feel icky.

41. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 4:33 am | Permalink

No Balon Greyjoy? :(

42. Blackfish Blues
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 5:02 am | Permalink

The Unwashed Mass:
    Thanks for the mention, folks!

Thanks to you for the laughter! It was a blast. Cool that you dropped by, hang aound. :D

purplejilly:
    So my daughter saw a bit of the wolf and the lion, and the scene that stuck in her head most was Cersei getting her ‘badge’ of honor.She drew a picture of it and colored it in with her Sharpie collection.Due to Sue the Pirate and her awesome tumblr collection, I decided to open up a tumblr account, and put up my daughter’s GoT fanart as the first piece.So if you want to see Cersei’s Badge as interpreted by a 1st grader, here you go!

Awesome! I made myself a Tumblr accout too but I don’t know what to put on it.

As for the theme of spousal abuse, I think it’s actually interesting that she chose that scene. I’m very sensitive to the issue and yet CHEERED. I’ve heard many who reacted the same way. I think it’s because in that scene it’s not so much husband and wife but two players in the Game. You could ask your daughter for a review, I bet she has good insights! :D

43. koinosuke
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 5:03 am | Permalink

The Smiling Knight,

Funny, how was my comment in any way more unthinking that literally every post you make? Spousal abuse is seriously messed up stuff, and not something at all healthy for little children to be fixated on. It probably isn’t a big deal in the actual life of purplejelly or said kid, but for most observers that’s just a dark thing to see.

44. coltaine777
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 7:48 am | Permalink

Would I want my first grader watching GOT ?….definitely not…

45. Shinyteapot
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 7:56 am | Permalink

Blackfish Blues,

Similarly, I doubt anyone would say it’s a good thing when an adult hits his young teenage nephew (regardless of which of them is taller), but I don’t think anyone cried when Tyrion hit Joffrey. More likely rewinded to watch it again.

It’s strange, on the one hand, I think hitting children is a horrible thing to do. But part of me wonders, if Joffrey had been disciplined more throughout his life (ideally by other means than physical, but if all else fails,,.?) he might just be a better person. Has anyone ever tried teaching him that actions have consequences- even for a king? Aerys was a king.

It’s not ok for Robert to hit Cersei, and I felt a little sorry for her seeing it. But at the same time, as viewers we remember Bran going out of the window, Lady’s death, and the way she’s training her bastard (in all meanings of the word!) of a son to think he can do anything he wants without a care for others, and all that sympathy just disappears. She might hate Robert’s whoring, but she tells Joffrey he’s entitled to do exactly that.

I can’t help thinking Cersei will loudly tell everyone she meets ‘look what he did to me’- anything that gets the world on her side. But we know from the book she won’t stop Joffrey having Sansa beaten- it’s only bad when it happens to her?

If I hadn’t read the books I’d feel more sorry for Cersei I think. She is different in the show- most notable to me is that, while ordering Lady’s death wasn’t fair, she wasn’t going on about wanting a wolf skin either. That puts an entirely different spin on things- as far as she knows, a wolf pup attacked her son (lying little sod). They’re wild animals and grow to be huge and fierce. That we know Nymeria was actually defending her owner, and that Lady was well trained and obedient, doesn’t change that most parents would, in Cersei’s shoes, see Nymeria as a dangerous animal who needs to be destroyed for the protection of her children (an adult direwolf would swallow Tommen in one bite!), and would at least be concerned about keeping around another animal from the same litter.

Note- I’m not saying her decision was fair, or ok- it wasn’t. A pronouncement of ‘these animals can be dangerous, if the other one shows signs of being violent it must be destroyed’ would be fair. But parents can be overprotective. As book readers, we know Cersei was more interested in showing her power over the king, punishing the Starks and teaching Joffrey he can punish one sister for the other one’s actions- he learns it matters more that a punishment happens, and your subjects are afraid to cross you, than that said punishment is fair. No wonder Joffrey is such a nasty piece of work.

46. purplejilly
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink

koinosuke,
    She doesn’t watch the whole show. She watches certain scenes, after we watch the episode first. And the Robert and Cersei one she actually got wind of accidentally.. She mostly sees Arya and the Night’s Watch.

47. purplejilly
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 9:09 am | Permalink

The Smiling Knight,
    Thanks TSK! Yes, she did capture Cersei’s expression well. LOL

48. purplejilly
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 9:11 am | Permalink

Blackfish Blues: As for the theme of spousal abuse, I think it’s actually interesting that she chose that scene. I’m very sensitive to the issue and yet CHEERED. I’ve heard many who reacted the same way. I think it’s because in that scene it’s not so much husband and wife but two players in the Game. You could ask your daughter for a review, I bet she has good insights!

Yeah, well the first thing she said, cause she has learned this from the playground is: “Oh, no way, that’s wrong – you can’t hit someone in the face no matter what they say to you or what name they call you. Plus, she needs to learn how to block (the karate class talking, there).”

49. purplejilly
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 9:29 am | Permalink

The Smiling Knight: *in avoiding any flashbacks as memories of important characters that would naturally explain some past events that affect the present so much,

This is a place where I feel they are losing a lot of good opportunities. I think flashbacks could work so very well in this show. And they have flashbacks already scripted for them, from the books. I guess the issue again is the amount of time they get per season. It would have been much better if they had gotten more episodes. I guess they were afraid it wouldnt be popular enough. Let’s hope next season they can slow down some.

And now it’s Sunday! woohooo ep 7 tonight!

50. Jessica C.
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Blackfish Blues: Thanks to you for the laughter! It was a blast. Cool that you dropped by, hang aound.

Awesome! I made myself a Tumblr accout too but I don’t know what to put on it.

51. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Not sure if someone already posted this but I LOLed hard at this :)
    Check Tyrion out

52. DawnWielder
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 9:55 am | Permalink

koinosuke,

you guys are mentioning spousal abuse in reference to that scene? Common, the lady is plotting to kill her husband here and has already attempted a few times (according to the book) she needed to get honored lets get real. of course hitting women or beating on your spouse is extremely wrong but even my wife, whom I’d never hurt in anyway way, says that this bitch deserved to get clocked

53. The Smiling Knight
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 10:01 am | Permalink

koinosuke,
    It depends on what the message of it is. If its something that shows such behaviour is wrong then there is no problem, is there?
    Then its something in fact positive.

Yeah i know – its rocket science.

purplejilly,
    I dont think the time is an issue since they wasted a lot of it on various invented scenes that didnt work well or at all.
    (a few did but most of them didnt)

I think they were simply cutting corners and saving money.

54. Mike Chair
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 10:20 am | Permalink

purplejilly: She doesn’t watch the whole show. She watches certain scenes

Oh good. Because if she started drawing Ros’ hoo hoo, Theon’s wee wee, Dany on top or Sweet Robin on the teat we’d have a problem.

55. koinosuke
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 10:22 am | Permalink

DawnWielder,

I’m perfectly fine with the scene; you can debate wether Cersei deserved it or not but it’s completely within Robert’s character to strike her. What rubs me the wrong way is that a kid watching this very adult, complex scene and drawing a picture of the beaten woman is being presented as “cute.”
    And while I personally wouldn’t let a 1st grader watch GoT I’m not even decrying purplejelly’s parental decisions here — hence my saying “I appreciate that you don’t coddle your daughter” — I’m just saying that rather than cute or funny, I just find the idea of kids drawing spousal abuse off-putting.

56. DawnWielder
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 11:13 am | Permalink

koinosuke,

I agree

I have 2 kids myself, boys even and I wouldn’t let them watch this. I’m just making sure I understand everyone’s view points

57. userj
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 11:38 am | Permalink

The Harry Lloyd interviews were pretty great. Especially the video interview where he’s miming his death scene, and talking about how they had to drop his head on the floor like 20 times in a row. :) That would be pretty annoying after awhile I bet.

Also:
    “There are rumors you are dating a cast member. Is this true?”
    “No, no, no… Nope, I didn’t know there were rumors.”

CLEVER NON-DENIAL-DENIAL, LLOYD!

58. rorschach-
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Very interesting conversation. I don’t know if it shows cultural difference (and I really don’t even want to go there) or maybe it’s personal thing but for me first grader is at good age for showing that hitting hurts and it’s not something you should do. Child sees way more in daily news or huge headlines in trash-press about hot celebrities doing what ever they do everyday only by popping to close market to buy candy.

About the drawing I think that it really show that the hitting made an impact and child have to think about it rather than just forget it. I think it’s more about adults than kids when we think that kids should be protected from something like that.

Kids are kids, they learn thousand new things a day and still continue being kids. We adults just have to be there to guide about what it means that they learn. They will learn the things eventually, I think it’s better to learn in an enviroment where it’s safe and right to learn.

But that’s just how I think.

59. Eleanor
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Today I learned that the American Ambassador to Nigeria is reading AGoT on his Kindle.

I find this cool. :)

60. Jenny
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

The line with “evil incestuous queen” deserves a world of its own.

61. Knurk
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

For dutch people: I just received an e-mail that the dutch translation of A Dance with Dragons (Een Dans met Draken) will be published in two parts, the first will be published in november 2011, the second part in february 2012. Let’s hope they don’t fuck it up this time like AFFC where they forgot to translate 5 chapters…

62. durandal
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

Seven Hells!!!
    Did they correct that mistake in later editions or have I been missing out on something for al those years?

63. DawnWielder
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Jenny,

Great word usage and placement to say the least, that is also probably my favorite part

64. purplejilly
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Mike Chair: BTW, I’d pay good money for a nice, professional, tasteful, and biologically accurate oil on canvas entitled Dany on Top.
    Mike Chair

There’s got to be some young guy out there who wants to be the new Boris Vallejo, who can oblige you with some new fantasy art! :)

65. Knurk
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

durandal,

they noticed their mistake within a week I believe. All books were taken back and the correct edition was published months (!!) later. Although there were a few bookstores who kept selling the wrong edition for weeks and didn’t send their old editions back to the publisher. I’ll look up the ISBN-numbers for you.

66. durandal
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

Thanks Knurk,
    I bought the books around 2006 so, I’ll probably be safe then. :-)

67. DawnWielder
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

purplejilly,

consult guru.com they have tons of freelance artist that will do good work for ranging prices… A friend and I got a piece done with Robert on the trident right after he killed the Prince with his hammer, I think it came out great

68. Knurk
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

durandal,

well the book was published in 2006 so here are the numbers (via Ezzulia-forums):

Nieuwe, correcte exemplaar :

Een Feestmaal voor Kraaien
    ISBN : 9024558336
    824 pagina’s (deze editie is trouwens uitverkocht en de tweede druk heeft isbn-nummer 9024530199)

Misdrukte exemplaar :

Een Feestmaal voor Kraaien
    ISBN : 9024549736
    735 pagina’s

69. clemintine
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

purplejilly: Let’s hope next season they can slow down some.

Maybe if they add flashbacks to season 2 (I’ve given up hope of seeing the Tower of Joy/”Promise me Ned” in season 2, which I think’re really important) perhaps with flashbacks we can get Sean Bean and Mark Addy cameos :) Not much hope of a Harry Lloyd cameo though :(.

70. durandal
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

Many thanks, Knurk!!!
    I’ll check it ASAP!

Alles in orde! Nogmaals bedankt, Knurk

71. JoopStroop
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Longtime lurker, firsttime poster.

@Knurk: Really?? Seems like they really screwed up!! I’m glad that I switched to the English version since ACoK, although I do have to admit that I have to look up some of the words.

72. Knurk
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

JoopStroop,

welcome! Yeah they screwed up big time, if you ordered the book online though you received an e-mail within the week that you would get the correct version as soon as it was available. I switched to the english version with AFFC because I couldn’t bear to wait another 7 months for the translation, but I still order the dutch translations for the rest of the family (my dad’s name is Joop by the way haha).

73. JoopStroop
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

Thanks!!

Ah, well that’s another reason to start buying things online!

Yes, I understand that you switched to English, although I personally couldn’t share this with my family; some would probably find it too much. Really? Cheers, it’s a cool name :D I still have to meet somebody of our generation that is actually named like that!

74. Blackfish Blues
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Shinyteapot:

I haven’t made the connection with Tyrion striking Joffrey. I think there’s a difference because Joffrey is presented as a classic bad guy, young as he is, while Cersei is a much more complex figure. In fact I hadn’t even given a thought to that earlier scene; Tyrion doesn’t strike me as someone likely to beat children on a regular basis.

With Cersei, she tells a blatant lie, that Ned “was returning drunk from a brothel when his men attacked Jaime”. I can’t believe Jaime would be so dishonest as to lie to her this way. It’s out of character even for Cersei, used to much subtler lies; she can’t believe Robert will fall for it. It’s such a stupid line that I could not believe it’s also in the books. Robert slaps her for the “I in mail, you in a skirt” line, but I wanted to slap her for the lie! So it was somewhat a vicarious pleasure.

Jessica C.: What is it? so I can follow you. Love following Game of Thrones related tumblrs.

Thanks! There’s nothing on it, actually. I’ll try to work in some content. I even wanted to change the title, but I don’t have time to think about a new one, so it’ll have to make do with “Blackfish Blues’ PMS”. It has it own sort of poetry, after all.

75. john
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

There are spoilers in the boomtron podcast.

I haven’d read the books but the speaker mentioned:

That in the books Ser Jorah is explicitly mentioned as the potential assassin of Daenearys

Something that hasn’t been mentioned in the tv-show (yet). After that I turned it off

I don’t know why’d they have spoilers in a podcast aimed at tv-shows but whatever.

76. silverjaime
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

OT

Don’t know if this link will work – Aidan Gillen talking about doing Littlefinger again.

77. silverjaime
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

And …his views on all the sex and nudity…….

78. Blackfish Blues
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

john,

Posted May 29, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

Damphair,

This feature has been in place since the beginning. Just click the portraits, and it will take you to a page with actor and charater bios.

80. coltaine777
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

OT…but I’m starting to really enjoy Treme….took long enough :)

81. Mormegil
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Blackfish Blues: john,strange, I’m almost sure that in the books he’s NOT explicitly mentioned as such.

He’s the first option the Small Council come up with but they then dismiss the idea quickly.

82. Ann
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

A great write-up as usual. Looking forward to the GoT comics here on the site!

83. Peltast
    Posted May 30, 2011 at 3:15 am | Permalink

Nice podcast from Ryan and Ryan… would it be possible to make it downloadable? I want to listen to it on the way to the supermarket or uni.

84. Blackfish Blues
    Posted May 30, 2011 at 6:55 am | Permalink

Mormegil,
    Ah, thx, I didn’t remember that.