Quick Hits: Nuggets of fun and a fake casting warning
- First off, a couple of reaction videos, here and here. [Ep. 109 SPOILERS!]
- Then, a spoof reaction to the same event as part of the Hitler-finds-out meme. [Ep. 109 SPOILERS!] We saw that one coming from a mile away. More fun: the parody video of episode 107 by Seanzoz is now available, as is a fake trailer for GoT as a buddy comedy featuring Tyrion and Bronn, One and a Halfman. PvP comics ran a series of GoT related strips, starting here.
- As you may know, GRRM is visiting Slovenia between 22nd and 24th of June. HBO Adria has set up a contest, the winner of which is going to meet and hang out with Martin on the 23rd. They are also dishing out some book copies and shirts. Read the details in Slovenian or Croatian and give it a try, the questions are tough.
- Game of Thrones remains at the top of The Hollywood Reporter Power Rankings.
- The cast picks their own sigils and royal edicts they would issue in this TV Guide feature. Digital spy picks their top 5 characters. Vulture lists all the “sexpositions“. At The Atlantic they review what characters are winning or losing the game after episode 109. GoT occupies a central spot in this handy HBO show diagram.
- A slew of interviews with Gethin Anthony (Renly, talking about his roles on Thrones and The Minister of Chance), Lena Headey (Cersei, from a Facebook Q&A session), and Michelle Fairley (Catelyn, a video interview for Thronecast).
- A video of the rehearsal of Syrio’s last stand has found its way to the interwebz.
- Here is a news item that has been making rounds this past week: Sean Bean defends a woman’s honour, gets stabbed, orders another drink. His mead is bloody tough. Or something. A true Northener.
- The release of the original GoT soundtrack CD has been bumped to June 28, but the album is already available on iTunes!
- Speaking of music, this 8-bit style arrangement of the Game of Thrones theme is the newest hit.
- Two essays well worth a read: Alyssa Rosenberg muses on HBO’s dedication to fantasy adaptations, while Salon.com reviews the entire season of Game of Thrones (minus the finale), praising the rewarding patient build-up and the well thought-out plot masterminded by Martin. All I can say is, we told you so! The show is poised to be a great DVD hit as well, in my opinion.
- The latest episode of The Pointy End is live, where Mike explores what would happen if certain characters had a sassy gay friend.
- UPDATE on fake IMDb casting: We have to address the issue of a prank that has gained track and triggered reactions cropping up left and right. Similar to the fake Catelyn casting for the pilot, someone has listed Gerard Butler as Stannis on IMDb. If the listing was for the next season, fine … I would never believe it, but it could make for a fun discussion, and I agree with FaBihoff here that it might spur HBO to release the real name sooner. However, Butler is said to appear in the final episode tonight
, and we know that GRRM has been viewing Stannis audition tapes for season two. It’s completely fake, people, someone is messing with the fans. Don’t give them the satisfaction.