Vote with your wallet: DVDs, soundtrack, merch
By Winter Is Coming on in Merchandise.

Many people have been hoping that the show gets a bigger budget for season two. Well one way we might be able to influence that is to spend a lot of money on Game of Thrones stuff! Here are some suggestions:

GoT S1 DVD Cover

Fan rendition of DVD cover art by DQM

The DVD and Blu-Ray of Game of Thrones Season One are up at Amazon now and are available for pre-order. No release date has been set, but based on HBO’s usual release time frame, I would say March 2012 is a safe bet. There is an outside chance they might release it early in time for the holiday season, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Amazingly, the DVD already ranks as the seventh most popular item in Movies & TV at Amazon. It was fourth earlier today. Let’s get that to #1!

The official soundtrack CD releases on Tuesday. You can pre-order that one at Amazon as well. Of course, the digital version is already available on iTunes.

Lastly, the HBO Shop continues to add more and more items (that Hodor shirt is made of win). And this week only, as a thank you to all of you Thrones fans, HBO is offering 20% off all orders. Just type in promo code GOT20 at checkout.

Winter Is Coming: I got my pre-orders in. What about you guys?

Posted June 22, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

The soundtrack is really awesome. I recommend it, if you like that sort of thing.

2. Valon Jakupi
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

That fan dvd art is atrocious. Aside from that, I agree with what’s been said. It’s up to all of us to support the hell out of this show, if not to give a bigger budget, then to at least make sure it’ll have a full seven seasons for us to enjoy.

3. Brad Villane
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

Agreed, show ain’t funding itself.

Already got my soundtrack, nearly all of the House shirts from HBO.com, a couple of mugs, and a mousepad.

Holding off on my DVD pre-order though. Lotta times places like Best Buy will have a disk of extra content or some sort of bonus trinket not included in the average DVD/Blu Ray.

Really hoping for some epic special features. ie Lord of the Rings Extended DVDs

Posted June 22, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

I also spent $120 on beer steins! :)

5. drainbead
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Just got that Hodor shirt for my husband. Thanks for the heads-up!

6. Remy
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

I rather them wait and release the blu-ray with commentaries and tons of extras then shell out 6o dollars for just the show.

7. Paco
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

IM DOING MY PART, DAMMIT!!!

I already got my blu-ray pre-order in and I will be buying a physical copy of the soundtrack next week.

I can never have enough HBO merchandise… I NEED MORE! That Stark ring needs to be in my finger NAOW! I want it all tbh… even the useless stuff like the letter opener (which I already have… o_O t’was a gift)

8. DavosFTW
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

9. Convivial Edd
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Disappointed they don’t have a “Hot Pie for President” shirt. :(

Getting the Hodor Shirt though, and the soundtrack.

10. Convivial Edd
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

DavosFTW,

Lulz. Someone should start a meme for that shirt like the one for three wolf moon.

I put on the House Frey shirt, and all the 13yr old girls on my block couldn’t keep their hands off of me. The police came to arrest me, but I just showed them my shirt and they let me go. The one downside to the shirt is that I am in court a lot more for child support payments.

11. smilingsoprano
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

I don’t have as much to spend as I’d like, but some t-shirts are definitely getting purchased. This show deserves all the money I can afford to throw at it.

12. metalgoddessamb
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

I bought 2 tee-shirts already, and I think I’m going to buy another two this weekend while they’re having the 20% off sale.

I also have the soundtrack on pre-order and will get it next week. I still do the CD thing…haha

of course I will buy the DVD set asap! I’ll probably buy two, as my parents do not have cable and we usually get them cable TV box sets for every holiday (xmas, birthday, mom & pops days). As a matter of fact, I had my Mom over today, and we started watching the series from the begining On Demand…so I’m starting over now.

13. babylonrisen
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Trajan seriously needs to disappear…

14. David Moore
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Convivial Edd,

Next time, just tell ‘em “The honey’s all mine”

15. DavosFTW
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

Actually wearing a Frey T Shirt would be a really good way to stop dickheads from trying to marry your daughter…

16. MASTER OF COIN
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

I will be buying the bluray. I really really REALLY don’t like the soundtrack though. I would hope that part of getting a bigger budget would be getting someone else to do the music. The credits music is fine, but the music in the actual show is..mediocre. Same generic film music everything is using now. I want them to get somebody that knows how to use an orchestra, damn it!

17. DavosFTW
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

I can see the add for a Frew T right now…

Your daughter’s idiot cheating boyfriend comes up and asks permission to marry her. You want to say, ‘bugger off you little shit,’ but your wife is right there and she’d disapprove.

So instead you spill sauce on your House Stark T Shirt say, ‘I’ll just change into something more appropriate…’

Out come the Frey colours.

‘Oh yes you can marry my daughter!’

Problem solved.

Posted June 22, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

So… is this going to be the best-merchandise-selling HBO show ever? I’m honestly curious.

19. sweetonsigmafilms
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Did you notice you can pre-order at Barnes & Noble as well? Their price -for the moment-seems a bit cheaper than Amazon; wonder how long that will last lol

Barnes & Noble GoT DVD pre-order link

20. Tayleron
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Those prices are god damned robbery. $35 for a tiny little pendant. $20 for a letter opener. $10 for a keychain. I also have to say I don’t like the designs for the house shirts. Why does it have to have the name of the house on there? Why can’t it be “WE DO NOT SOW” *Kraken* “Game of Thrones”…

I might get a pendant, but only because they’re the only things I like the looks of. Probably never wear it.

21. Jim Cross
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

I’m sad I’m so broke and unemployed presently….
    Definitely will offer my support by encouraging any of you out there to buy me something…. (pointy end t-shirt, please)
    It’s sad, but I just sold my Game of Thrones board game on craigslist so that I could preorder “A Dance with Dragons”

22. morior invictus
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

I got the soundtrack on Itunes. I will definitely get the Blu-Ray for Season One. I got the first t-shirt released by HBO months ago for “Winter is Coming” and was extremely disappointed with the quality for the price. I will pass on more merchandise.

23. Anthony Cordisco
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

I am going to buy quite a bit of this stuff as soon as I have the means to. At the moment I could only afford to pre-order ADWD, which takes priority, of course. The map of Westeros poster is calling my name :)

24. GaR
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Does the HBO store ship internationally yet?

25. Zack
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

Got my BD pre-order set, and I’ll probably order another stein or two while the sale is going on :)

26. Phoenix_Torn
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Seriously HBO, take my money!

I’ve already bought 1 shirt, and a pendant but everything else I want STILL won’t ship here. All of the new merchandise is “Exclusive” and isn’t available in Canada DESPITEIT BEING ADVERTISED ON THE HBOCANADA WEBSITE.

Hell, I currently have the Ice sword replica on order from Valyrian Steel. I’m not opposed to spending money on my fandom. For the love of god HBO let me do it!!

27. Bloodless Justice
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

Pretty good fan depiction of the DVD, though Sean Bean would be on the cover, and the Complete Season One would grammatically be the Complete First Season.

28. Damryn of Dorne
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

i got a free house stark keychain thru my work :D

29. Petter Kristian Vikestad
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Ship region 2!

Posted June 22, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

morior invictus: I got the first t-shirt released by HBO months ago for “Winter is Coming” and was extremely disappointed with the quality for the price. I will pass on more merchandise.

31. Meg
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

soundtrack and t-shirt have been bought. would prefer to buy the episodes on iTunes (trying to get off physical copies altogether), unless the DVD extras are *amazing*. I don’t have cable or a TV, but I do use an HBOGO subscription from my parents (I pay them for HBO). Its worked out great so far.

32. Mike Chair
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

I think it’s matching “Khal” and “Khaleesi” T-Shirts for me and my wife.

What, no Ros T-Shirt? Oh, come on.

How about :

“Hear me roar ‘Ros is a Whore!’ ”

“Winter is coming because Ros F—ed it.”

or

“I made the eight. Ros did the rest.”

33. Dekar
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 12:25 am | Permalink

Wait, are you saying that this will only release at March 2012, and they’re already pre-ordering it…? Wtf?

34. Fer
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 12:44 am | Permalink

Any way to get the t-shirts to Australia?

35. KG
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 12:48 am | Permalink

The shipping charges are outrageous. Charging shipping by order price is the biggest pile of ripoff BS in sales.

Has anyone gotten the shirts yet? I’ve seen several reviews mentioning the thin fabric; if I’m going to get hit 10 bucks to ship something that only costs 2 bucks to mail, I at least want a decent weight fabric …

36. Nikst
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:01 am | Permalink

37. SugarVampire
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:03 am | Permalink

Even with my vastly below average income, I have paid for a HBO/TimeWarner subscription, a new copy of “A Game of Thrones” with HBO header, a black House Stark T-shirt and now a pre-order of Blu-Ray Season 1 from amazon.com through this site.

I would love to get a black mug from the HBO UK store (Don’t know why HBO didn’t offer them in their US site). The steins listed in HBO US are too expensive (25% more than the UK ones) and not as attractive as the mugs (The beige color for House Stark and House Targaryen steins is a big no-no. Should be white or black).

The Greyjoy and Lannister stuff are nice. A NightWatch pledge T-shirt would be cool too. But spending $30+ for another T-shirt (cost + S&H) is too much for me. I am holding out hope for GoT sweatshirts being available in the fall.

All the money I spent on GoT merchanise won’t help to increase the budget for Season 2. (They are probably set already and won’t change much). It is Season 3′s budget I am shooting for. (Season 3, 4 and 5 are almost a given based on HBO’s admitted mistake of cancelling Rome too soon and their iron-grip hold of the number of episode per season and their big but very restricted budget for season 1 and 2)

We all have to pitch in what we can if we really want to make the ASoIaF adaptation the one for the ages.

One more note – if for whatever reason you have to download pirated copies of GoT, please DON’T repeatedly advertise that fact. Quality shows are paid for by hard money, not accolade of critics and internet denizens. Peace.

38. steph
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:17 am | Permalink

Sweet! Got a Targaryen keychain. Love the DVD cover. I guess Joff will be on the cover of season 2. Ha.

39. SugarVampire
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:19 am | Permalink

KG,

Of course, those prices including S&H are sort of rip-offs. Trust me, I have to grind my teeth to pay for that House Stark T-shirt (At least I wait till the black one is available). This is the price I am willing to pay to support future seasons of GoT. Of the $34 or $36 I paid for that T-shirt, I consider $10 to $12 as my contribution to the series which is not too bad at all. – just like my “volunteered” contribution to United Way from my paycheck.

Surprisingly, the T-shirt quality is not bad at all. Overall, I am happy with it even though it is quite expensive for me.

Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:40 am | Permalink

My beer steins are seriously awesome. And I got a ton of use out of them, at each episode viewing. :)

41. Jambo
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:47 am | Permalink

It seems crazy to me that they would wait until next spring, right before season 2, to release the DVDs/Blu-rays. This would be the perfect christmas/holiday gift for so many people!

And more time to get word of mouth going, loaning discs, etc….

42. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:48 am | Permalink

Got a Stark mug from sunshine records…. waiting for the soundtrack to come out… and then the dvd/bluray, really wanna do my part to make sure this show runs til the end!

43. Johan Sporre
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 2:00 am | Permalink

I bought t-shirts in the HBO store in April and the quality is fine (they’ve been in the washer 3-4 times). The print is still clear and complete.

I’m waiting with my pre-order. I don’t know if I’ll cave in and buy a blu ray-player before the discs are released.

44. MCA
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 2:05 am | Permalink

Hope that’s not the final edit to all the design & copy. It says near the bottom that this has all been based off of the books by: “George R. R. Martn.” Probably the worst name you could spell incorrectly on the entire box. I wonder if this is a legitimate look for the real packaging or just a fan mock-up?

45. Eleanor
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 2:11 am | Permalink

DVD playable in my region is not yet available for pre-order I don’t think. But I will vote with my wallet as soon as I can! Breaking ALL my rules about waiting for boxsets when it comes to giving money for GoT.

46. Mike
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 2:13 am | Permalink

My daughter just got me a Stark mug for my birthday yesterday!

47. Nikst
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 2:24 am | Permalink

Nikst: March 2012? Talk about missing the opportunity on expanding the audience. That would be the ultimate fail if they didnt release it, at the latest, in November/December. Otherwise dont expect the audience to grow more than maybe 100 000 for the premiere. All other shows that I have watched and bought on blu-ray had their seasons end in like May/June and the dvd/blu-ray was released in like Sep/Okt. So HBO has no excuse for being that late if it turns out to be the case

For example, The Walking Dead, the first season ended in November/December and was out by March the next year. So HBO has no excuses. Please dont f*** this up HBO! Plus I need my Game of Thrones blu-ray fix now! =D

48. KG
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 2:31 am | Permalink

MCA,

Oh, it’s some fool with a pirated copy of Photoshop lol I’ve seen better Chinese bootleg covers at the gas station.

49. Weirwood
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 3:04 am | Permalink

I think the DVD and BluRay release is on the fast track and we will see them sooner as opposed to later.

This is from an interview here with Bryan Cogman prior to the premiere:

“Quick update about what I’ve been up to since I’ve been back in the states. I’ve been keeping busy since we wrapped working with the HBO Home Entertainment people on some exciting special features for the show’s Season One Bluray. Otherwise, I’m eagerly awaiting the show’s premiere on April 17th. Thanks again, to you all, for your enthusiastic support of the show.”

So they definitely started working on the DVDs prior to the first episode even airing.

50. Nero
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 3:13 am | Permalink

BUT ALLOW US EUROPEANS (Belgians) TO BUY IT DAMN IT !

51. Kate
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 3:27 am | Permalink

Nero:
    BUT ALLOW US EUROPEANS (Belgians) TO BUY IT DAMN IT !

Same here. I really want to buy merchandize and the DVDs. If I’m in southern Europe, can I purchase anything else besides the OST?

52. Blackfish Blues
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 3:33 am | Permalink

Oh my, I feel such a cynic now, I’m sorry. I don’t feel like pre-ordering something that by the time it actually comes out will be immediately followed by a bigger better one. George Lucas raped my childhood.

As for HBOShop, I get depressed every time I think of it. I’d have already bought so much merchandise to help them overcome legal hurdles, if only they shipped to more than four countries. EPIC FAIL.

53. Mike
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 3:42 am | Permalink

It is said before, and I will say it again.
    I would LOVE to spend a few hundred dollars on EPIC game of thrones stuff, but I can’t, because I live in the bloody Netherlands. Why does the HBO webshop only ship in the US and UK???
    Isn’t there any other shop that sells GoT stuff and does ship to the rest of the world?

54. KG
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 3:45 am | Permalink

What you all need are American friends :)

55. Steven Scott
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 4:09 am | Permalink

I pre-ordered two copies of the Blu-Ray set. Giving one to someone who hasn’t seen the show yet.

I would buy one of the House Sigil shirts too if they didn’t have the crappy house words on them.

56. Valorna
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 4:11 am | Permalink

Please, the creator of this wallet needs to spell well the names of actors. Momoa et Heady. Very bad work.

57. Flouride
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 4:25 am | Permalink

Bluray is already #5 on Amazon’s top seller list :)
    I’ll wait until there’s a release date set and then I’ll preorder my copy.

58. Nikst
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 5:25 am | Permalink

Nero: Hey, I’m all for supporting HBO with the purchase of some T-shirts. They’re so cool !BUT ALLOW US EUROPEANS (Belgians) TO BUY IT DAMN IT !If anyone has an idea om how we could bypass those stupid shipping restrictions he would make my day…

59. Nikst
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 5:40 am | Permalink

Blackfish Blues: Also I’ve seen someone make references to DVD Region, but I can’t find a detailed description on Amazon. Technical question: Are Blu-Rays also limited by regions? I haven’t got a Blu-Ray player yet, but the time might be at hand.

Blu-rays do have regions, but most of them are Region free. You have region A for north and south America, region B for Europe and Australia, region C for Asia. Unfortunately you will have to wait until right before the release date of blu-rays, in this case the Game of Thrones release date, to find out if it is Region Free, sites like “http://regionfreemovies.com/” and “www.blu-ray.com” usually test most blu-rays and tell you if its region free or locked to a certain region. Unless the distributor says beforehand what it will be, which they almost never do.

You can make it easier for yourself, since you havent bought a blu-ray player yet, and buy a regionfree blu-ray player. Or buy a locked one and take it to special stores that can make the player region free (but thats usually quite expensive). The number of regionfree blu-ray players are limited, so depending on what kind of player you want, you can choose one thats regionfree to start with or buy one that can be made regionfree. Although I hear that not all players can be made regionfree, so check with those stores before you buy one, if you deside on a regionlocked player.

Wow this was a long answer, sorry about that =P

60. Jackie MacPherson
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 6:01 am | Permalink

Like the fan DVD artwork. :) Plan to order up some HBO tshirts today. I was holding out for a “Just so!” Syrio tshirt but it’s not appeared :( Also notice that the “stick them with the pointy end” has sold out on the UK one another :( However I’m sure I can find some things to spend my money on :)

We don’t have the soundtrack for another week or so and heaven knows when we’ll get the DVDs. I will be investing in a BluRay player though! Some shows just have to be in HD :)

61. Steve
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 6:06 am | Permalink

Seriously??? I can’t buy anything from the American i-tunes store with my German i-tunes account? I really really want to buy that soundtrack but i-tunes won’t let me…..
    I mean, of course not! Why make some money? Surely Apple has enough of that.

62. Blackfish Blues
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 6:23 am | Permalink

Nikst: You will probably be able to buy the t-shirts and other stuff on multiple sites. One other that I found and that I most likely will use is forbiddenplanet.com Stores based in UK. Bought from them just recently, no problem, took a week for the delivery (live in Stockholm,Sweden). Looks like they got most of the stuff from HBOs site, maybe even everything. The release date seems to be 26 of June. But like I said, most likely the Game of Thrones stuff will appear in multiple stores, maybe even in Belgium (does the show air there? If so, then you will most likely get the stuff in Belgium as well)

WHOA! Thanks, you made my day. I went to forbiddenplanet.com and it looks like they ship in Italy too! I haven’t bought anything yet – don’t want to be too rash, maybe other sites have better prices – but I put a Tully shirt and mug in the cart. :D Could it be true?…

Thanks also for the info about Blu-Ray players! I’ll be sure to ask about region-free details when I do buy one.

63. Nick
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 6:42 am | Permalink

Blackfish Blues,

64. Nikst
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 6:50 am | Permalink

Nick: Blackfish Blues, Some Blu-rays are region locked like DVDs were, but most aren’t. Although nothing is certain, it is likely that GoT will be region free on blu-ray, because HBO have released most of their blu-rays region free. Sopranos, True Blood and Rome were all free, for some reason they released Deadwood region A locked. That was probably due to there being no equivalent version in region B and C, so HBO locked it to prevent imports.

Actually it usually is for the opposite reason. If other companies in other countries have the rights to the show and the release of the dvd/blu-rays to the show then HBO or whoever will lock their release so that people have to buy the version in their region instead of importing the HBO version. But hopefully that wont happen with Game of Thrones, since most likely they will be releasing the American version first. But then again most countries air/aired Game of Thrones almost at the same time as HBO, so the dvd/blu-ray releases will most likely be around the same time.

65. Bene
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 7:23 am | Permalink

yeye i know we must support the show by buying stuff yeye.

but cmon winter. dont do posts that seem like youre an HBO employee ;)
    is this a critical fan site or an extended HBO shop?

66. Jamie
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 7:42 am | Permalink

MASTER OF COIN:
    I will be buying the bluray.I really really REALLY don’t like the soundtrack though. I would hope that part of getting a bigger budget would be getting someone else to do the music. The credits music is fine, but the music in the actual show is..mediocre. Same generic film music everything is using now.I want them to get somebody that knows how to use an orchestra, damn it!

While it isn’t ingenious like a Howard Shore score or something, I think it fits well. Even as a musician myself, I often prefer having minimalistic scores for a show like this. Having big, obtrusive, fully orchestrated music often just seems out of place and almost knocks me out of the element in a realistic, gritty show like this. I don’t need music to fake a mood in the show for me. (Too many movies use music to convey a mood that the film itself should have done). I think they have done it really well so far.

67. LadyDayne
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 7:42 am | Permalink

I don’t know how much money I would have spent if only the HBO Shop have sold the official items all over the world…!

68. metalgoddessamb
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 7:52 am | Permalink

haha, I put this in the wrong thread…I was wondering why I didn’t get an answer!

my question again:

for those of you who have the soundtrack, is it full compositions, or bits and pieces?

69. metalgoddessamb
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 7:53 am | Permalink

Mike Chair:
    I

“I made the eight.Ros did the rest.”

LOL

70. Ashley Blackwoody
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 7:53 am | Permalink

anyone got a clearer image of the westeros map? i wanna know it’s decent first.

71. metalgoddessamb
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 7:58 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: I had heard that the initial batch of t-shirts were pretty poor but since then the quality is much better. While I can’t personally attest to that, we did have quite a few comments from people saying that the quality of the shirts seemed to improve after a couple weeks of the shirts’ release.

I have to admit, that the first t-shirt I bought I sent back because of the poor quality. The screen printing on the front was so light you couldn’t really see the design. I ordered another of the same, and still wasn’t happy with it. The second design I choose was a bit better, but the material (the T-shirt cotton) they use is very thin compared with most the t-shirts I own.

72. John Bird
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 7:59 am | Permalink

Uhm… can’t I order some shirts from the US-Store, if I’m from Europe(Austria)? Or am I missing something?
    Because I want Slim Fit, and in the UK-Store is only comfortable fit available .

73. Jonathan Leard
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 8:11 am | Permalink

As much as I like some of the shirts, they really are too expensive. $20 should be list. I want to support the show, but I don’t want to be gouged to do so. That being said, I bought the iTunes soundtrack and will pre-order the show on Blu-Ray.

Also waiting for a shirt with an iron coin that says “Valar Morghulis.”

74. Nick Larter
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Can’t pre-order on Amazon.co.uk – the best they offer is the sign up for an email notification when the product becomes available (I did that :D) . So I’m assuming the DVD’s available for pre-order now are Region 1, and they haven’t got their schedule together re: Region 2 product availability yet.

75. Claudia
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 8:19 am | Permalink

I just hate that Orange Series just doesn’t open a merch store. I can’t even order on the European HBO merch store since it works only for UK and Ireland. I’ll maybe ask my British cousin to order a T-Shirt for me. (And i’ll definitely buy that cd, the musics are awesome ! =O)

76. Nick Larter
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Totally OT and i know I’m being cruel, but the last two lines of this article had me laughing my head off – surely some delay between writing and publication :D

77. purplejilly
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 8:33 am | Permalink

Mike Chair: “Winter is coming because Ros F—ed it.”
    or
    “I made the eight. Ros did the rest.”

AHHHAHAHAHAHAHA MIKE CHAIR YOU ARE HILARIOUS! all sad but true statements…

78. dimensionallyt
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 8:38 am | Permalink

I’m a girl and I want a ‘I made the eight’ tee, but it doesn’t exist in ladies sizes :(

79. Knurk
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 8:48 am | Permalink

Steve:
    I mean, of course not! Why make some money? Surely Apple has enough of that.

I downloaded the soundtrack on iTunes. You have to buy an american iTunes card here (the cheapest site I could find, 10 dollars for 9.8 euros). Then you switch to the american store on your iTunes and click on ‘redeem giftcard’. You create a new iTunes account with an american adress (they only check if it’s an american zipcode, so just take a Delaware starbucks or something) and you have 10 dollars to spend in the american iTunes store!

80. The Winter Rose
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 8:48 am | Permalink

If the dragon egg pendant wasn’t so expensive (and didn’t look like a minature pinecone), I would get it.

81. Knurk
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Nick Larter:

whawha I’m wondering if she’ll do a follow-up.

82. MustangJeff
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Targaryen and Stark Steins are on the way :)

These should go well with the new batch of homebrew I’m currently brewing!

83. Jessica C.
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 9:40 am | Permalink

I’ve bought two shirts, the soundtrack, and the Stark beer stein. I’m about to pre-order the blu-ray off of amazon.

I hope the episodes on the blu-ray have cast commentary and it would be cool if George did one for episode 8.

84. dizzy_34
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 9:44 am | Permalink

I’m old fashioned so I’ll be getting in my car, driving to the store and buying the BluRays. I’ll be doing that with Dance too. I only order stuff online when I have to. I got two shirts already and am thinking about a Greyjoy shirt. If they get a cool Nightswatch shirt I my get that as well.

85. Joe Cannon
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Six t-shirts, three mugs, one map, one pendant, the soundtrack on iTunes, a physical copy once it’s released, the Blu-Ray set… Shut up and take my money, HBO!

86. Hilda
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 9:54 am | Permalink

I just preordered my bluray,cause lets face it,this is going to look so fucking good on blu! God,I hope I don’t have to wait a whole year for it to be released! NOOOOO!
    I got the soundtrack also on itunes and it is beautiful. I have also bought 3 tshirts from the HBO store. The Black Direwolf tshirt for my friend, Jon Snow’s shirt, and the “Stick em with the pointy end shirt”! I am a total nerd,addicted to Game of thrones like it is crack!

87. Rob
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 9:57 am | Permalink

I would argue that HBO will happily renew the show at its current budget as long as items are purchased/viewers watch etc. However, they will not raise the budget as they will see purchases as a sign that viewers are happy with what they are receiving as a HBO product already.

That said, blu-ray pre-ordered and I’ll be getting the soundtrack too b/c I’m a completist.

88. Hilda
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 10:04 am | Permalink

SugarVampire,

is that the family tree shirt?? if so is Jon Snow on it?

89. John W
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Well I normally don’t pre-order stuff that far in advance but….maybe if there’s enough people pre-ordering it maybe HBO might reconsider their release schedule.

90. C2
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Preordered the Bluray.

Haven’t pulled the trigger on any HBO Store stuff though. Between the high prices and questionable quality I’m hesitant. I have almost bought that Hound t-shirt a few times though.

91. War Blogger
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 10:12 am | Permalink

I’ll preorder the DVDs once the option becomes available for the UK or Germany.

92. Jack Slap
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Just pre ordered the blu ray edition!

93. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 10:17 am | Permalink

I pre-ordered the Blu-Ray (will have to buy a blu-ray player, but it’s not urgent now). I’m thinking about buying one of the mugs too, probably Targaryen one …

94. Knurk
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Rob: t,this is going to look so fucking good on blu!

another reason for people to buy this thing on blu-ray: HBO almost always releases superb blu-rays of their shows (Video/Audio average is round 4.5/5 out of 5). Considering the nifty new camera’s were used to film this show, I’m expecting this blu-ray to be the new standard quality for tv-bluray releases.

95. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 10:39 am | Permalink

On slightly humorous note – Game Of Thrones Christmas special will be up for pre-ordering soon:

Found on http://winteriscomingbitch.tumblr.com/

96. Daisy May
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Bought my Hound T-shirt ^.^

/happy dance

*squee*

97. Jaeden
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

WTB preorder bonuses! Hmmm I’ll probably just head to best buy and grab it there unless theres an interesting preorder bonus from somewhere. Better that then waiting for it to come in the mail. I haven’t had good experiences with preorders, getting them a day or seven late. We’ll see. But then again the last time i ordered something from amazon, I literally ordered it early in the morning and got it at 4 PM. That was insane.

98. Elaine
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 11:25 am | Permalink

For those of you who have Blu-Rays of HBo series: are the extras usually the same as what’s on the DVD?

I may wait to pre-order the Blu-ray set after they figure out what the special features are. Anyone think there’s a chance they’ll release the original pilot?

99. SugarVampire
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Hilda,

It was the House Stark direwolf sigil one.

100. jellydonut
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Oh how I would love to buy stuff from the HBO store.

But HBO won’t sell anything to me. I guess my money isn’t good enough for them.

Same reason they have HBO in a gaggle of eastern european countries, but not the rest of Europe? COME ON.

101. Julian Budke
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

I did order the Blu Ray… If everything goes well I’ll have it before they air the show here in Germany. (I hate German TV stations… )

102. MNicole313
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Really not liking that House Martell shirt. Maybe I’ll go with a Pointy End shirt for now and hold out for a Sand Snakes shirt…

103. shadallion
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

I’ve got the four main House T-shirts (Stark, Lannister, Targaryen, Baratheon) and I got one for my brother and one for my girlfriend as well.

The quality of the shirts seems very good to me. They are fitted, slim cut shirts, not potatoe sack-shaped ones like some other places.

I enjoy walking around town representing the Houses. Haven’t been recognized yet, but I’m sure I will be soon.

104. shadallion
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Agreed on the Martell shirt: it’s ugly. Not a classy looking sigil. Martell is also pretty bad.

105. Mr. Frey
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

DavosFTW: honestly who would buy House Frey merchandise? Although wearing Frey colours could increase libido and virility…

Well, I’m eyeing the shirt. When your last name is Frey, the Frey merch starts looking pretty sweet.

The Frey Motto: Walder is coming!

I’m sure that I’m the only one reading the books hoping that Danwell Frey will prove himself a noble knight. (Best I can tell, Danwell may even be part of that small set of ‘good’ Freys).

106. Pablo Jainaga
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

In case someone from Spain wonders you can get some of the merch at Fnac stores. I bought two mugs and look forward to buying the blurays. Btw tried to buy the OST but iTunes wouldn’t let me because I’m not blessed by nationality. Kind of sucks.

107. Liesie
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

And to add my Dutch voice as well: PLEASE HBO, SHIP ALL THIS GORGEOUS GAME OF THRONES STUFF TO EUROPE!!!!! (apart from UK that is) I want to give you my money, but you must able me to do that!

(and yes I know I’ll be able to buy it somehow, but still I’d like to buy it directly from HBO)

108. Leah
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Hubby and I both got shirts (stick ‘em with the pointy end.) We both love his, it’s good quality and feels really soft. Mine had an ink stain on it, so I returned for another one. Also ladies, word to the wise…they are not kidding about the sizes running small. Two sizes up is my advice!

109. Knurk
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Elaine:

HBO has always crappy extras, but I have the feeling they will do their best on this one, they know how everyone loved those LotR-extras. And the extras are usually the same as on the dvd’s. The original pilot will never be released though, I can be wrong of course but that’s just something HBO never does.

110. Luis
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

As much as i want to buy some stuff here in europe, it IS understandable that it’s only uk/ ireland available at present. Isnt uk the only ones in europe with an official airing?
    Most others watched through more…… Underground means , i would guess.

Either way, Wake up hbo, we’re ready to drop our pants and spend our coins o/

111. Knurk
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Pablo Jainaga: Btw tried to buy the OST but iTunes wouldn’t let me because I’m not blessed by nationality. Kind of sucks.

Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

OT, but Entertainment Weekly is at it again with our first look at THE HOBBIT. There’s a shot of Bilbo (with some dwarves in the background) and one of Gandalf.

And as usual with EW, they’re in crappy low-res!

113. Grant Gould
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

I wish they sold bigger shirt sizes (for 4X Hodor-sized dudes like me). There are like 20 different shirts on there that I’d buy in a heartbeat, but the largest size they go up to is 2X… :(

114. Grant Gould
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

I did buy the soundtrack on iTunes though, and it’s awesome. :)

115. SergioCQH
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Natalie Dormer has been cast as Margaery.

116. Knurk
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

SergioCQH,

hot! And yieha casting news!

117. TastesLikeTheSea
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Well she’s pretty in a medieval sort of way so it works.

118. Tre Svatek
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

I wanted her for Melisandre, but I will totally love her as Margaery! This is going to be so awesome :D ! She was the best part of the Tudors.

119. Weirwood
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

It sounds like there is an opportunity for Yanks to buy the stuff from HBO and then resell it online and offer International shipping.

120. lily
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

As soon as it’s listed on UK Amazon I’ll be pre-ordering blu-ray

And I’m still waiting for HBO shop to stock this:

I’m here with money to spend HBO, come on

121. Lodey
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Anyone else notice on the back of the DVD, the 4 characters that don’t make it out of season 1 alive all have their head down or looking down. Might be reading too much into it, but could be deliberate – especially Drogo and Ned.

122. Knurk
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Lodey,

it specifically says it’s a fanmade dvd-cover.

Posted June 23, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Lodey, nice catch Lodey! That was definitely deliberate. The fan that made it threw in a few easter eggs like that. You were the first to notice. There are others as well…

124. Pablo Jainaga
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Knurk: I’ll repost my previous remark on this issue, there is a way around to get it from the US store if you’re from another country:

Yeah I know, thanks for the info but getting 10 bucks for my 9.8 euros sucks even more lol

125. Knurk
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Pablo Jainaga,

I know. But my guess is it still will be cheaper then the release here, Amazon has the CD for 11 pounds! (and 10 euros for a new soundtrack is quite the bargain, I paid my ass off for the Treme soundtrack (which is fucking great btw (the soundtrack, not the paying))).

126. Julian Budke
    Posted June 24, 2011 at 12:40 am | Permalink

Wow, by now the Blu Ray of Season 1 is on placed THIRD on the Blu Ray beststeller list!

127. Jambo
    Posted June 24, 2011 at 3:19 am | Permalink

Where’s the Littlefinger gear at?

128. Oliver
    Posted June 24, 2011 at 9:47 am | Permalink

The “King of the North” theme is so f***ing EPIC! Such a great soundtrack overall by Ramin Djawadi!

129. Hilda
    Posted June 24, 2011 at 10:03 am | Permalink

SugarVampire,

damn! I bought that one too for a friend of mine. Its a great one! I was wonderfing about the “family tree” one, I cant get it though if Jon’s name isn’t on it! LOL! Thanks though!

130. Catherine Henry-Greskovic
    Posted June 24, 2011 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Bought it. I have currently purchased all the key chains, the soundtrack, the envelope opener, 2 t-shirts and all the beer mugs. I also bought the dragon egg necklace and the stark ring. They better make a season 3!!! I

131. loco73
    Posted June 24, 2011 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Well the soundrack was suppossed to come out in Canada on Tuesday June 21. I went to my local HMV (yeah I STILL do that) to get my copy, but their order had not arrived yet. It was kind of strange since in the US and elsewhere the release date is June 28. Anyways I placed a hold on a copy and will buy it as soon as I get the confirmation from HMV Canada.

I sincerely hope for an earlier release for the DVD/Blue-Ray set. HBO should take advantage of the holiday season and maximize its profits. A mid to late December release date is feasible! I mean they have over 5 freaking months to get together a spiffy delux edition of the DVD/Blue-Ray set in time for the Holidays. What better stocking stuffer from Santa than “Game Of Thrones”…and if not I’ll beseach King Geoffrey and Ser Ilyn to behead that fat red bastard! Anyways as soon as its out you can count on at least one dude who wil most definitely buy it.

As for the rest, I already have several T-shirts, a mug (Lannister…Hear Me Roar…) LOL…for my milk and cookies! Hey even my keychain is the House Of Lannister, now I have to live by the motto “A Lannister always pays his debts”, the problem is that I am quite poor compared to the House Lannister who have the Seven Kingdoms in their pocket! In contrast, I’m so poor I couldn’t even get a handjob from Ros, and she is the hardest working whore in all of Westeros!

Honestly, I want to get more stuff, but unfortunately a lot of the merchandise HBO advertises, does not ship to Canada. Maybe because of the show’s success more will become available and soon.

So, Winter, I ‘ll try to do my utmost with my wallet, since I have no sword, to support “Game Of Thrones”.

PS I think for the cover of the DVD/Blue-Ray set they should have just a picture of the Iron Throne, empty, and with the line “You Win Or You Die”, the back I wish would include a panoramic show of The Wall…

132. Jonathan Leard
    Posted June 24, 2011 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Now, now. Their House motto is “Hear Me Roar.”

133. loco73
    Posted June 24, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Jonathan Leard,

LOL…yeah you are right, but with that fancy key chain I would venture to guess that the other one would be more appropiate…

134. Julia Mathias
    Posted June 25, 2011 at 11:21 am | Permalink

I wish HBO would deliver their merch oversees. It sucks not being able to buy all those amazing t-shirts.

135. The DarkStar
    Posted June 27, 2011 at 1:09 am | Permalink

I bought two of the house shirts before the season aired.
    Quality is fantastic. The fit was great as well. Kinda a vintage athletic fit, not like a giveaway, I’m gonna sleep in this T fit.

136. The DarkStar
    Posted June 27, 2011 at 1:33 am | Permalink

Just bought 4 more shirts.
    Those Khal and Khaleesi shirts fuckin rock.

137. SR
    Posted June 27, 2011 at 3:56 am | Permalink

I would gladly, gladly buy a slightly toned down version, whitout certain sounds, scenes and two seconds less in several violent scenes……….

138. Samantha Hirst
    Posted June 27, 2011 at 5:15 am | Permalink

Bought the soundtrack and some tees – decided to take advantage of the 20% off. Wish they did the ‘Hodor’ one in ladies fit, but I couldn’t see it on the UK shop. That said,’Hodor’ isn’t the only one that they have in mens but not in ladies; there isn’t a ‘Moon Door’ or a ‘Martell’ one. Ah well. I’ll preorder the DVDs when amazon put them up.