Quick Hits: Nuggets of fun and a fake casting warning
By Hear Me Roar on in Media, Press, Reviews.
  • First off, a couple of reaction videos, here and here. [Ep. 109 SPOILERS!]
  • Then, a spoof reaction to the same event as part of the Hitler-finds-out meme. [Ep. 109 SPOILERS!] We saw that one coming from a mile away. More fun: the parody video of episode 107 by Seanzoz is now available, as is a fake trailer for GoT as a buddy comedy featuring Tyrion and Bronn, One and a Halfman. PvP comics ran a series of GoT related strips, starting here.
  • As you may know, GRRM is visiting Slovenia between 22nd and 24th of June. HBO Adria has set up a contest, the winner of which is going to meet and hang out with Martin on the 23rd. They are also dishing out some book copies and shirts. Read the details in Slovenian or Croatian and give it a try, the questions are tough.
  • Game of Thrones remains at the top of The Hollywood Reporter Power Rankings.
  • The cast picks their own sigils and royal edicts they would issue in this TV Guide feature. Digital spy picks their top 5 characters. Vulture lists all the “sexpositions. At The Atlantic they review what characters are winning or losing the game after episode 109. GoT occupies a central spot in this handy HBO show diagram.
  • A slew of interviews with Gethin Anthony (Renly, talking about his roles on Thrones and The Minister of Chance), Lena Headey (Cersei, from a Facebook Q&A session), and Michelle Fairley (Catelyn, a video interview for Thronecast).
  • A video of the rehearsal of Syrio’s last stand has found its way to the interwebz.
  • Here is a news item that has been making rounds this past week: Sean Bean defends a woman’s honour, gets stabbed, orders another drink. His mead is bloody tough. Or something. A true Northener.
  • The release of the original GoT soundtrack CD has been bumped to June 28, but the album is already available on iTunes!
  • Speaking of music, this 8-bit style arrangement of the Game of Thrones theme is the newest hit.
  • Two essays well worth a read: Alyssa Rosenberg muses on HBO’s dedication to fantasy adaptations, while Salon.com reviews the entire season of Game of Thrones (minus the finale), praising the rewarding patient build-up and the well thought-out plot masterminded by Martin. All I can say is, we told you so! The show is poised to be a great DVD hit as well, in my opinion.
  • The latest episode of The Pointy End is live, where Mike explores what would happen if certain characters had a sassy gay friend.
  • UPDATE on fake IMDb casting: We have to address the issue of a prank that has gained track and triggered reactions cropping up left and right. Similar to the fake Catelyn casting for the pilot, someone has listed Gerard Butler as Stannis on IMDb. If the listing was for the next season, fine … I would never believe it, but it could make for a fun discussion, and I agree with FaBihoff here that it might spur HBO to release the real name sooner. However, Butler is said to appear in the final episode tonight, and we know that GRRM has been viewing Stannis audition tapes for season two. It’s completely fake, people, someone is messing with the fans. Don’t give them the satisfaction.

1. GaR
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 3:57 am | Permalink

Cool to see Syrio’s last stand all in one shot.

Glad they didn’t go with the disarming at the end; that looked a bit naff.

One and a Half Man looks just as rad as hell. Would totally see that.

2. Grimtuesday
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:15 am | Permalink

Who doesn’t love the Hitler reacts to X meme? One and a Halfman was hilarious in part because it actually sounds like something that would get made. Although I’ve always thought it should be a buddy cop thing.

3. Phantomwriter05
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:22 am | Permalink

LOL! at Butler rumor …

But hey … you never know. You were raving at the fake Emilla Clark twitter thing and it actually turned out to be her.

I really liked the Lena Headey Q&A …

I wonder if they’re going to play up the abuse angle between Cersei and Tywin … Like Lena Headey believes there is.

I don’t remember if Tywin was ever abusive to his children pass verbally belittling them when they made poor choices.

Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:25 am | Permalink

Phantomwriter05,

When did that turn out to be the real Emilia? :) don’t fan the fire.

5. Phantomwriter05
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:27 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Are you possitive that it’s just a rumor?

There’s no harm in taking a wait and see approach.

I mean no one can just get on someone elses IMDB can they?

It could be a suprise that they didn’t want to spoil.

6. Pepi
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:30 am | Permalink

You gotta be kidding me… That Syrio rehearsal actually shows us more of his fate, than the actual video. They have a stare-off.

Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:32 am | Permalink

Phantomwriter05,

Everyone can post anything on IMDb … it’s not Butler’s personal page. Completely user-editable, like wikipedia, pretty much.

8. Thomas Aagaard
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:41 am | Permalink

GaR:
    Glad they didn’t go with the disarming at the end; that looked a bit naff.

Pretty sure thats just how they rehearsed it. A solid sword for the fighting that can’t break. So he needs to drop it. And they then used a sword thats made to break for the rest…

9. rapscallion
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:48 am | Permalink

The Butler thing is obviously fake, but I don’t see anywhere where GRRM has necessarily implied that he’s seen audition tapes specifically for Stannis. For all we know they already have Stannis cast.

10. Jason
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:55 am | Permalink

GaR,

Again sorry guys please don’t hate me

Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:59 am | Permalink

rapscallion,

Hm, you may be right. GRRM listed a host of roles he saw auditions for … but maybe not Stannis. I forgot. Yes, it could well be they negotiated directly for the role of Stannis and it was the first role decided on. Anyhow, some six contracts are being negotiated now, we hope to hear some news very soon, don’t we all :)

12. ScottsdaleSam
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 5:02 am | Permalink

Came across this on youtube:

Metal version of the GoT theme. It’s pretty cool.

13. Schlafmohn
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 5:02 am | Permalink

Your’re probably right that he rumor about Gerard Butler is just a hoax, but I have to admit, I’d be excited by this casting. I could see him as Mark Addy’s and Genthin Antonie’s (sp?) middle brother. (duh, his eyes can totally be as cold as Stannis’ are described) Even more so if they’d show a glimpse of him in the finale as a preview to the war of the five kings. But probably wishful thinking….

Posted June 19, 2011 at 5:02 am | Permalink

Jason,

Well, unless you’re fishing for attention as a fake fake casting author :) then … a cruel prank, sir. See how big the consequences are of everything you feed to this particular fandom? Instructive, though, more people should learn not to believe everything on IMDb. Enjoy the books and the series!

15. DavosFTW!
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 5:02 am | Permalink

There seem to be a lot of negative comments to the salon.com article. Probably because Davos isn’t in season one…

It’s a good review though.

16. Jason
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 5:07 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

I can assure you I’m not a fake lol. I’m actually surprised at the reaction it got. The fanbase for these books is phenomenal

17. Nick
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 5:09 am | Permalink

I don’t for a second believe this casting, but it should be noted that GRRM specifically stated he had yet to see any Stannis auditions when he listed characters he had seen auditions for. And imdb is not user edited in the same way wikipedia is – all changes and contributions must be approved by an imdb section manager. Presumably some evidence is needed when casting is added, but obviously not all the time as in the case of Holly Marie Combs back in 09

Posted June 19, 2011 at 5:14 am | Permalink

Nick,

The reponse of the editors is slow, too. So it takes very long to change any fallacies.

19. FilliamHMuffman
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 5:59 am | Permalink

I don’t believe the Gerard Butler casting rumor for one second, but if Stannis was making a cameo in the finale, which is possible considering he doesn’t find out about Jaime and Cersei’s incest until much later than in the books and needs to receive Ned Stark’s message so he can begin preparing for war, I’m sure GRRM would lie about it so as not to spoil the surprise.

20. The Rabbit
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 6:43 am | Permalink

Can we officialy announce the StannisGate?

I did not believe in that romour for a second. Still, I believe that there is strong possibility that they are negotiating with the a “rather big name” for that role.
    Maybe that was the a reason why GRRM has not seen any Stannis tapes.

21. Janja Papac
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 7:15 am | Permalink

Did the competition thing, *fingers crossed* :x

If I get lucky for a change and actually win I’ll let you know in case you want to prepare any questions (though you probably already have it covered) :)

22. Samantha Hirst
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 8:37 am | Permalink

Has GRRM not watched any audition tapes for Stannis? Ooops. I wonder how I got that into my head? lol.

As it is, I’ll repeat what I said on twitter – I’ll believe a casting when HBO announce it. IF Gerard Butler was Stannis and featuring in ep. 10, they would have announced him a long time ago. IF the ep. 10 is false but GB is Stannis in S2, he would have been announced already.

23. Eleanor
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 8:46 am | Permalink

I’m surprised the Atlantic didn’t cop that Renly hasn’t fled the kingdom, he’s retreated to gather allies and money! It was made pretty obvious. ‘Out of the game’ indeed.

24. modehead
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 9:04 am | Permalink

rapscallion,

Re: American Gods. It’s just been announced, so I assume they’re at least 18 months at least from the show airing? By that time, GoT should be the gold standard of HBO programming.

25. Assunta
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 9:09 am | Permalink

I would not be surprised if there was a brief, enigmatic, shot of Stannis (like his back, or in darkness – so they don’t really show who the actor is) at the end of ep. 10 as a kinda cliffhanger for Season 2. I have been wondering if they will end this season exactly like the books. I remember the GoT book ending had me going to the bookstore in my slippers.

26. modehead
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 9:09 am | Permalink

Pepi,

I’m pretty sure they were doing a practice run. Also, they had to film that scene in two shots anyway. The broken sword and sword he was holding are two unique props.

27. Mormegil
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 9:31 am | Permalink

rapscallion: Also, I’m not sure that it’s good news that HBO is also doing a miniseries of American Gods. I found that book incredibly silly and boring, and I’m a bit afraid that it’s failure could hurt GOT promotion.

It’s not a miniseries they are planning, they are talking of a series running for 6 seasons. It will be 2013 before it airs though and GoT will hopefully be on it’s third season by then and how another show performs is hardly going to affect it.

Assunta: I would not be surprised if there was a brief, enigmatic, shot of Stannis (like his back, or in darkness – so they don’t really show who the actor is) at the end of ep. 10 as a kinda cliffhanger for Season 2.

I’ve said the same before. We may get a brief montage of all the “Kings” (probably not Balon) after Robb is declared KitN.

28. Eleanor
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 9:40 am | Permalink

No way is the final shot of this ep going to be anything but You-Know-What.

29. Mormegil
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Eleanor: No way is the final shot of this ep going to be anything but You-Know-What.

Of course not but there’s no reason we won’t have other new scenes before that.

30. Eleanor
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Mormegil,

Ah, I misunderstood what people were saying!
    Not a fan of the silhouetted Kings though. GoT so far hasn’t gone for fancy visual tricks.

31. Eleanor
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 9:57 am | Permalink

I just followed that link to the Holly Marie Combs post so long ago. Multiple people saying “Hey, maybe Lena Headey can play Catelyn!”

So near and yet so far. :)

32. Argilac the Arrogant
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Jason: GaR, Right people. I am a big fan of the show and I’m currently reading book 1 along with the show. [...] I also think Butler would be a perfect Stannis.Again sorry guys please don’t hate me

Sorry, but I call BS. What makes you think Butler would be a “perfect” Stannis when Stannis isn’t even in the first book? Perhaps you are responsible for the Butler IMDB rumor, maybe you aren’t, or maybe you just trying to take credit. Either way, your post doesn’t hold a lot of water.

33. Belwas's stool
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 10:56 am | Permalink

There’s also an article in the Hollywood Reporter where David and Dan talk about the difficulties they will face at the emmys. Another interesting fact from that article is the 40-45 million dollar price tag for Treme, which recently got renewed for a third season.

34. Mike Chair
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 11:05 am | Permalink

B.S.:

Jason: Right people. I am a big fan of the show and I’m currently reading book 1 along with the show. I have to confess that I am the one who started the Butler rumor on IMDB. I did not expect it to get this much out of hand lol. It was a practical joke which I’m sorry for. I recently found out that we could add credits to IMDB and I went ahead and did it. I also think Butler would be a perfect Stannis.

Again sorry guys please don’t hate me

Busted:

Argilac the Arrogant: Stannis isn’t even in the first book? Perhaps you are responsible for the Butler IMDB rumor, maybe you aren’t, or maybe you just trying to take credit. Either way, your post doesn’t hold a lot of water.

Ha! Hey Jason, this is House Gatewatch. NOT UP IN HERE!

35. ablaaa
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

lol, does anyone else get the impression that Michelle Fairley must have been a bit dulled down for the role of Catelyn? She looks much livelier and more colourful in the interview, and I prefer her that way, tbh.

36. Dash
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Just a question… why anybody believe for a second the stanins casting as gerard butcher? i mean, i think he is an actor at the same level as Sean Bean, if we get one, why cant get the other? Gerard look like a nice election… and yes, i vote for the stannis gate too ;)

37. Oi!
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Eggs crack and Gerard Butler jumps out

38. Tayleron
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Butler is such a badass, I’d love to see him in GoT.

39. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

THIS! IS! DRAGONSTONE!

40. Chris
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Dash,

Gerald Butler is definitely at a higher level than Bean, at least here in the US. He was the leading man in quite a few blockbusters and romantic comedies in the last few years, whereas most people only know The Bean as Boromir, if at all.

41. The Red King
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Argilac the Arrogant: Sorry, but I call BS. What makes you think Butler would be a “perfect” Stannis when Stannis isn’t even in the first book?

As to Butler “having too much charisma” to play Stannis… It is called acting.

42. Shinyteapot
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Chris,

Much the other way around here in the UK. Sean Bean is *very* famous. Having looked up Butler I now recognise him from a couple of things though I did not know his name until now, but he’s nowhere near Bean’s level.

43. Chris
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

The Red King,

I think he was referring to the fact that Jason said he was reading book 1 along with the show, so how would he know that he was perfect for Stannis when Stannis hasn’t even appeared in the book or show yet?

44. Mike Chair
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

The Red King: As a point of contradiction

Just to clarify, Jason’s post indicated that he was reading the first book and, thus, thought Butler would be a perfect Stannis so he made the fraudulent post on imdb. This is a non sequitor. The fact that Stannis may appear in ep. 10 doesn’t contradict Argilac the Arrogant identifying Jason’s post as B.S. Would Butler make a good Stannis? Probably. Is he actually the one who is cast? Maybe. Is Jason full of shit? Definitely.

45. Chris
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Shinyteapot,

It’s funny he is more popular over here, since I’m pretty sure he is from the UK(Scotland?).

I remember him from Phantom of the Opera quite a few years ago, but I think he busted out here after 300. Since then he’s been the lead in like 3 horrible romantic comedies and a couple summer “blockbuster” type movies – none of which have been any good. Unfortunately, this is the US where you know you are a big star once you start starring in horrible romantic comedies and action movies.

I’d be interested to see what kind of salary they both command, given their popularity in separate markets. I’d much rather have an actor like Sean Bean, but the movie stars in the US get paid ridiculous amounts of money to star in those awful romantic comedies and action movies.

The other thing that might keep away some high-level actors is that Stannis is going to be around for awhile, whereas Ned was just a one-time gig.

46. Zed
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

I am gonna go all bitchy right now, cos all of you guys only need to wait for a few hours.

And I have to wait for a WHOLE DAY!

Jeez…

Oh yeah,
    Burn babe, burn…
    Enjoy Fire and Blood!

47. Mike Chair
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Chris: I remember him from Phantom of the Opera quite a few years ago

OMG! I totally forgot about that! He was The Phantom. His voice. The guy can sing. Mance? “Open up your mind, let your fantasies unwind,” baby.

48. nixterida
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Chris,

I liked P.S. i love you

49. sjwenings
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Pretty nervous about the last scene which will be Dany and the dragons. If they don’t get that right – and “right” means quite impressive in this case – then that’s the image all the people still unsure whether or not they want to see the second season - will be left with.

50. Jonathan
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Heres why the Gerard Butler makes sense…..

We need to have some star in the next season to keep people tuned in. This year was all about Sean Bean being in GoT!! And the readers knew what would happen, but non-readers had no idea!

From the massive popularity and the outcry over having Ned killed off, we need a new star for people to attach to. Gerard Butler makes perfect sense…and having him sitting in Dragonstone, getting the letter from Ned in the final scene would be perfect! it would introduce him as Stannis,,,,and give people the star they want to make them come back next year!

51. sjwenings
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Jonathan: we need a new star for people to attach to

Why?

The way i see it, Dinklage, Clarke, Harington and Williams have become the new stars. Several people checked GOT out because of Bean, i have no doubt – but that doesn’t mean they kept wathcing only for him. After having watched the first season, you’d think the quality alone would be enough to keep people coming back.

That said – a new “name” actor at the end of season 1 would be pretty cool. It just doesn’t seem anywhere near necessary.

52. Daniel
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Phantomwriter05,

About the Gerard fake stuff…I am actually finding some weird talk about him showing up tonight as Stannis…check out this picture of him that was caught yesterday…. check his hair length…strange!!! he never has had his hair this long before..ever!!! and check the beard too!!! I think he has been at least been auditioning for someone on Game of thrones…I mean really, think about it.. the producers want british accents only, check… long hair..check… beards…check…he has a lot of the right tools… and he is currently in LA right now as in today, so is the guys who are casting ( read the casting websites and show the locations..LA and London)…often the most unexpected is the answer…link to pictures does not post but website is justjared.buzznet.com/2011/06/19/gerard-butler

if link does not work search him at justjarred.net

53. sjwenings
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Daniel: check his hair length…strange!!!

Thats really weak, considering Stannis is bald. Yeah, so the baldness is not important, but still..

54. Iggy
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Daniel:
    Phantomwriter05,

About the Gerard fake stuff…I am actually finding some weird talk about him showing up tonight as Stannis…check out this picture of him that was caught yesterday…. check his hair length…strange!!! he never has had his hair this long before..ever!!! and check the beard too!!!I think he has been at least been auditioning for someone on Game of thrones…I mean really, think about it.. the producers want british accents only, check… long hair..check… beards…check…he has a lot of the right tools… and he is currently in LA right now as in today, so is the guys who are casting ( read the casting websites and show the locations..LA and London)…often the most unexpected is the answer…link to pictures does not post but website is justjared.buzznet.com/2011/06/19/gerard-butler

if link does not work search him at justjarred.net

What’s your point about the hair? Stannis Baratheon is supposed to be bald..

55. sjwenings
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Iggy: What’s your point about the hair? Stannis Baratheon is supposed to be bald..

Well to be fair, i suppose if they decided to not make him bald, then longish hair seems likely. Also, he IS in LA.

Still strongly doubt he’s been cast as anyone is GOT, but we can still entertain the idea..

56. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

There is no way something like Gerard Butler being cast as Stannis and already appearing in the last episode could get past our radar. I’d be very surprised to see him (or anyone else as Stannis) in the 10th episode. “Coming home and discovering a naked Esme Bianco in my bed” level surprised.

Someone on IMDB decided to have a little fun. It happened before, it will happen again.

57. Daniel
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Iggy,

Well, my point with the hair thing is Gerard is growing his hair out for something, and because most of the characters in the film dont perfectly match the novel illustrations… it is a possibility that the hair thing could be over looked… Stannis is going to be a big name, no doubt, do you really think a big name is gonna be bald as described in the novel? Maybe, but Mark Strong, is pretty busy these days doing feature films to take the time for GoT…and i cant really think of a big name, like Mark strong or 40+ something year olds who is bald these days that fits this role…Maybe gerard is not him, i am just saying it is not something to rule out based off his lack of baldness…were not all the Lannisters supposed to be blonde??? Cersi and Joffrey seem to be the only true blonds… have you sen Peter D.’s hair??? he has not had is hair bleached since the pilot, it dark brown already…

58. Alan
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

1) Whoever did it, I think the practical joke is kind of funny. It’s a TV show, folks, and putting a false (and really unbelievable) casting rumor out there isn’t nearly as awful as even something as simply as posting spoilers, like say someone did with ADwD spoilers here a few threads ago. There was no outrage over that — even thought it will lessen a lot of people’s enjoyment of the next book, whereas a Gerard Butler as Stannis rumor?

2) I’m sure Butler is doing some awful romantic comedy with a pretty but terrible actress right now. And for a lot more money than GoT would pay. I realize Stannis isn’t a role that will require more than a few weeks of filming, depending on how they do Episode 9, but does anyone see them paying for Gerard Butler?

3) I’ve only seen him in a couple of things, and so this may be the lack of acting opportunity rather than ability, but I get the feeling he’d get noticeably blown off the screen in terms of acting ability. Acting by looks isn’t going to cut it on this program. Mediocre actors will be exposed.

4) On the other hand, I wish Stannis was cast, because I think introducing him now would be awesome, especially if it is like another poster on here speculated, he could be threatening his brother. But it’s a good lead in for viewers, and especially if it is a big name. That said, there’s pretty big economic implications to that, I expect.

59. Daniel
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Alan,

I thought Gerards acting in his more serious roles are not that bad…(300, law abiding citizen, RockinRolla..and even Regin of Fire back in the day) its the romantic comedes, like you said he might be doing now, that he gets a bad rapp with poor acting. Gerard once upon a time acted for the fun of it and not the money and i think that GOT will get a name like Gerard because of the quality of story-line rather than the money.. i admit he takes these romantic comedies for the money but movies like these, will eventually get to him if they have not already… and actors who hit this point take roles for the pure joy of the act and role…

60. Daniel
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

oh and i am a imdb user and i have just tried to delete the G. butler on Imdb and place someone else;s name there just for the sake of seeing if it can be done… it cannot.. all changes or additions have to be approved by administrator and the administrator claimes to have to have some sort of legitimacy…and hollywood rumor is good enough but for some guy off the web just to throw it on their without some proof or official hollywood buzz…is not easily done, unless you pay the admin..

61. Sansa's Lemoncakes
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

About the hair thing, a lot of actors grow their hair long in between roles. I wouldn’t take it as indicative of anything, just that he’s not filming anything right now.

62. Dan
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

I’m looking forward to it. I recommend the book heartily. It won the Hugo and Nebula awards and y’all should read it and catch the show.

63. Alan
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Daniel:
    Alan,

300 wasn’t exactly stretching anyone’s abilities, either. I’m not saying Butler isn’t a good actor, just saying what’s he’s done hasn’t demonstrated he is. There’s not a lot of subtlety of depth in any of his roles. Which is fine. He’s buff and good looking and has an accent — I’d take the cash, too.

I suppose there is an off-chance that a name at the level of Butler (and make no mistake, his price is much, much higher than Sean Bean’s) could take a role in a show like this much like many of these actors do theater or indie movies in between paychecks. But a role like Ned’s is more likely than Stannis, no? I mean, Stannis has less scenes and airtime but it’s also a multiple season commitment.

64. Meg
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

DavosFTW!:

LOL, we’ll get to Davos soon enough (I love him too. Really want Henry Ian Cusick!)

But really, all the comments in that Salon article were incredibly harsh! Geez. Maybe its because the author was gushing over the series overmuch. Tends to instigate a backlash. I just wonder what the haters think is “good TV”?!

65. Langkard
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Great interview with Michelle Fairley. I’ve been looking forward to one. She’s definitely grown on me as Catelyn.

NCW wins for his answer of A Fawlty Towers marathon on all networks. Yes!

I’m all for an American Gods series, especially if is makes Gaiman write more in that series. Maybe it will also help spur someone to get the idea that making The Malazan Book of the Fallen into a series isn’t entirely impossible – just really, really improbably difficult.

66. Remy
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Hate to disappoint Stannis fans but if you heard the GoT soundtrack and heard the finale music you would know it will not be Stannis at the final scene… The spoiler didn’t work

67. Ms. Stormborn
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

If the whole Gerard Butler thing is true, I think he can pull it off. I’ve seen him in darker roles. Mayhaps he is trying to redeem his acting chops after the string of horrible choices he’s made. He just needs to steer clear of romantic comedies.

Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Main problem with Butler = he’s likeable. Stannis is not supposed to be likeable.

People would probably want to follow Gerard Butler. People don’t want to follow Stannis.

The casting of Stannis is actually problematic, IMO. They most likely want to cast someone who will draw audience, possibly a big name… but he’s supposed to be annoyingly unlikeable.

69. DawnWielder
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Lex,

I like stannis… Stannis isn’t loved but he’s fair just hard, think Gerard Butler could tone down the charisma a bit and become an amazing stannis, though he may look strange with a bald top

70. Mike
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

I’m going to remain as skeptical as I should but it would be very cool if they had made this decision already and managed to keep it from even us watching-closely fans.

Butler’s star power fits the HBO need for a big name in season 2 and his age and appearance go well with being an middle brother between Robert and Renly.

GRRM said, perhaps very carefully, that he had “not viewed any Stannis audition tapes”. This could be completely true if they’d already decided on the big star they were going to try to get for the role.

71. paulgude
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Lex,

I’ve noticed that while his bad personality has been hinted at (the “personality of a lobster” line) in later episodes they started pushing the angle that Stannis is a great military leader but would not make a good peace-time king. I think this might be setting the stage for a slightly more charismatic Stannis for the show.

Note: This doesn’t mean I think Butler will be Stannis, but it is something I noticed when arguing that they wouldn’t be casting a Stannis who is more famous than Davos. This subtle tweak between “Stannis is so annoying that no one would follow him” to “Stannis is a great battle commander but would make a poor king” made me rethink that position.

72. paulgude
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Daniel,

While your experience may vary, we’ve had many fake additions to IMDB in the past. Most recently, a character named “Drizz Lannister” said to be played by Yosun Goral was listed for a few episodes.

73. Anthony Cordisco
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Stannis is made of pure awesome for the “In your bed, she’s like to die that way” quip alone. He is a fascinating character, I think.

74. Michelle
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

I like Stannis. I think I have a weakness for Baratheons…for some reason. lol As for the bald thing…isn’t Tywin supposed to be bald? Charles Dance is…not. Not many complaints about him, are there? I’ve never pictured Stannis as being bald myself. As long as he looks kinda like Robert and Renly, and is a stern hardass, then I’m happy.

75. mummer
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

paulgude,
    Given that the episodes were all written more or less at the same time, I think it’s not very likely that the showrunners reconceived their idea of Stannis in between episodes 5 and 7– and anyway, Stannis being a good battle commander is directly from the books; there was never any question that his army would be loyal to him, the problem was that he had no diplomatic or political skills. And Renly and Varys in those lines were not trying to make Stannis sound like a good leader: Renly was implying that he’d be an incompetent king like Robert, and Varys was pointing out that his ruthlessness would lead to a bloodbath. Put those together with the “lobster” line and I don’t think the writers are trying to portray him as charismatic in any way.

76. paulgude
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

mummer,

I’d say a lot of the supposed shift in focus comes more from my own perception of the character being altered.

In the book, Stannis comes off to me as being unliked, and thought unworthy of a leadership position. He puts out a call, Davos comes back and says many people refuse to support him. He seems like a manager the staff tolerates due to his position, not an inspiring leader.

I could hear the “lobster” line and still hold that view, but after hearing about his ability to command and hearing the idea that the highest mark against him was that things would get too bloody rather than the fact that nobody likes him my image of him in the show had to shift. He may not be adored, but isn’t exactly boring either.

So, yes, maybe the “drastic” change was just me catching up to where they were at.

In addition, I concede that my impression of him from the book may be flawed. Still, it seems to me there was an effort made to imply Stannis is by no means worthy of the importance Mel places on him.

Posted June 19, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

I agree that they seemd to emphasize Stannis’s battle-commander aspect in the show. I forgot how much the Lannisters are actually afraid of him.

You know, I think Butler would actually be a pretty cool choice. But he’d have to act like more of an a-hole, and downplay the charisma (as someone else said).

78. paulgude
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Lex,

I think that’s where I was at, too. If you asked me to describe Stannis, “respected battle commander” wouldn’t have been my first thought.

79. Superdeluxe
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Remy:
    Hate to disappoint Stannis fans but if you heard the GoT soundtrack and heard the finale musicyou would know it will not be Stannis at the final scene… The spoiler didn’twork

No one is talking about Stannis as the final scene, I think most of the book readers know what the final scene is going to be.

Posted June 19, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Just picked up the Game of Thrones soundtrack. It’s pretty awesome! I know there were many initial doubters, especially since the composer was switched at the last minute… but I think Ramin Djawadi really did a great job.

81. Jason
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Chris,

Just because I’m currently reading the 1st book it doesn’t mean I can’t look up characters that IMDB has spoiled for me in the future. My god people…

82. Sherry
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

I picture Rufus Sewell as Stannis.

83. mummer
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

paulgude,
    I just think you’re taking those lines out of context. The first one was from Ned, and it’s totally in character for Ned to focus on qualifications that sound good on paper, and to ignore the question of whether anyone likes the guy. The second one was from Varys, who was just pointing out the obviously true fact that the Lannisters would take Stannis seriously as a military threat, compared to Robb.

I think you’re misremembering the books a little too. At the start of book 2, the Lannisters are quite concerned with Stannis, even though Renly is more personally popular and has more troops, specifically because Stannis is a serious guy with battle experience and Renly isn’t (and also because they don’t expect Stannis and Renly to waste time fighting with each other). Charisma isn’t everything– Tywin has done just fine being a stone cold dick. And it wasn’t a foregone conclusion that Stannis’s bannermen wouldn’t support him; they bailed partly because he’s no fun, but also because (a) his claim to the throne relied entirely on the idea that Joffrey was illegitimate, which was still pretty controversial, and (b) Renly got a massive boost in strength from Tyrell support early on, and people wanted to back a winner.

If the other characters all saw Stannis the way you’re implying, as someone who isn’t a real threat because people don’t like him, then there wouldn’t have been any need for Littlefinger to tell Ned that supporting Stannis would mean war.

84. paulgude
    Posted June 20, 2011 at 1:54 am | Permalink

mummer,

Here’s the part of ACoK I was thinking of…

Davos says:

It is as you warned him. They will not rise, Maester. Not for him. They do not love him.

Cressen thinks:

No, nor will they ever. He is strong, able, just…aye, just past the point of wisdom…yet it is not enough. It has never been enough.

Then after that there’s a lot of commentary about how Stannis rubs everyone the wrong way and how that means that now people are choosing Renly over him.

Then, to my mind, GRRM takes pains to show how Stannis could be doing so much better if he would heed council a bit more or if he would play nice with anyone.

All of this could still come to pass in the TV show as well. But in the book, to me, a LOT of the prologue is a laundry list of reasons no one likes Stannis and a list of his failures in his life and in his attempts at diplomacy.

I took this to mean that he was like the director that can get things done but hardly makes any movies because everyone hates working for him, or the hard-ass manager whose department has a lot of people quitting. Someone who gets results but inspires no loyalty.

I would love it if they have him that way in the show. I just had a feeling that he might mutate a bit depending on who’s cast.

85. paulgude
    Posted June 20, 2011 at 2:20 am | Permalink

mummer,

Actually, I think I’ve figured out where my disconnect is.

In the show, up until this point, they’ve been talking about what could happen if Stannis were named the legitimate king, and seated on the Iron Throne.

What we see in ACoK is what Stannis is left with when his claim is muddied by the other players on the field. Not nearly as dangerous.

86. Argilac the Arrogant
    Posted June 20, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

The Red King: As a point of contradiction: Lommy Greenhands and Hot Pie are also not in the first book, but they are cast and will be seen tonight. We’re watching the TV show, not the book.According to the preview, we’ll also get a Catelyn/Jaime confrontation that is not in the first book and may be from the 2nd book.As to Butler “having too much charisma” to play Stannis… It is called acting.I don’t expect this rumour to pan out, but I’d be excited if it came to be truth.

Been a long time lurker of this site and followed much of the casting news especially when GRRM put out clues our very House would solve in minutes, so I had already known Stannis was not cast in season 1. Hotpie and Lommy showing up wasn’t surprising since they were announced as being cast in season 1 before the premiere debuted.

However, I’m knocking Gerald Butler as Stannis. Stannis Baratheon is my absolute favorite ASoIaF character and Butler would be badass in the role. I just don’t see that happening based on the actor’s status in the US (too big name, too expensive) and was merely calling BS on the poster claiming starting the rumor. His story didn’t make a lot of sense to me.

87. Argilac the Arrogant
    Posted June 20, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

Bah! Meant to say I’m NOT knocking Butler as Stannis.

88. Boo Boo Kitty
    Posted June 21, 2011 at 1:12 am | Permalink

The Rabbit,

Rufus Sewell for Stannis. Seriously.
    Check out some pics of him as Agamemnon.
    He can TOTALLY do the misguided man with a sword and poor social skills due to arrogance.
    I’ve always pictured that’s what Stannis would look like.

• WiC Live