- Congrats to Richard Madden, who was named to Screen International’s Stars of Tomorrow 2011 list. He is the fourth Thrones actor to make the list. Emilia Clarke and Harry Lloyd made this list last year. Natalia Tena made it on the list in 2005. Other past stars include film stars James McAvoy, Robert Pattinson, Emily Blunt, and Andrew Garfield.
- Congrats also to George R. R. Martin and his publishers, as all four of the A Song of Ice and Fire books are in the top 10 on the New York Times mass market paperback best sellers list, with A Game of Thrones as number one! (Beware of spoilers in the book synopses!)
- George R. R. Martin mentions in a recent blog post that he is putting the finishing touches on the first draft of his season two script. We already know that he is writing episode nine and has revealed the title to be “Blackwater.”
- An update to the filming locations rumor, Croatian site Serijala received a statement from the city of Dubrovnik which said they had not received any requests from HBO to film there at this time. They speculate that this does not necessarily rule it out as a possible filming location and guess that getting the permits for filming is likely the last step in the process.
- A glowing review of the Game of Thrones soundtrack by a non-reader and non-watcher over at The Flickcast. The soundtrack was released this past Tuesday and is available for purchase .
- Speaking of merchandise, the HBO Shop has some new items in stock including hats with the house sigils on them. (With no house words, just the sigil! Can we get t-shirts like that, please?) Also, for a limited time, you can use the promo code SAVE20 and get 20% off your order.
- Camelot has been canceled leading many fans to hope for some of the stars of that show possibly making the short drive up from Dublin to Belfast to star in Game of Thrones. Jamie Campbell-Bower was cast in the original pilot, so he has ties to the show; while Eva Green has long been a popular choice for Melisandre.
- Along those same lines, James Purefoy was recently interviewed by Collider and was specifically asked whether he would like to appear in Thrones. Here was his answer:
PUREFOY: If it was the right role on Game of Thrones, definitely. Of course! It’s a terrific series. It’s a great series of books. I love HBO. I’m on record saying that HBO is the best television company in the world, and I believe they are. I think they absolutely understand how to make television that is really, really vital and interesting and visceral, and all the things that television really should be. I’m a big fan of HBO.
What role do you think he could play?