George finishes his script
By Hear Me Roar on in News.

On Tuesday, George R.R. Martin handed in the script, more precisely the first draft, of the ninth episode he is writing for the second season:

Today I delivered the first draft of “Blackwater” to Dan and David. (Finally) A bit overdue, as always. And probably too long and long expensive, as my scripts always are. (I got to write the [event edited for spoilers]. I tried to be good and restrain myself, but you know how things go. Oh, well. I knew the job was dangerous when I took it).

This is television… (no, it’s not TV, it’s HBO)… so there will undoubtedly be many further drafts and revisions. But the first draft is the hard one.

Meanwhile, GRRM gets asked a few questions on the same subject in an interview over at the Wall Street Journal’s Speakeasy. Not much in terms of new information, but click through for the entire interview. For non-readers, there is just a very minor spoiler (also edited out above) concerning what “Blackwater” in the title of the episode refers to, with no details given.

The Wall Street Journal: So I understand you’re writing an episode of next season’s “Game of Thrones” called “Blackwater.”

George R.R. Martin: I’m just finishing that as we’re speaking right now. I have it on the screen sitting in front of me.

A lot of people would like to see that.

It’s done, I’m just doing the final touches on it and I’ll be shooting it off to [executive producers] David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss], the first draft anyway. Yes, it’s episode nine of the second season.

Is it about the Battle of the Blackwater?

Battle of the Blackwater Rush, yes indeed.

That sounds great.

Well I hope so. We’re trying. It’s going to be enormously expensive. There’s always the problem—when you write books, you can have everything be as big as you want, you can have all special effects budget in the world and you can have thousands of fighters and all that. But then when you actually put it on screen, it’s a little more challenging. So if anyone has an extra couple of million dollars they could give us, we could make the battle even bigger.

With how well your books are selling, you could self-fund the battle scenes.

Yeah, well that’s a thought. Don’t tell that to HBO. I don’t want that idea to go any further.

1. GaR
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 4:36 am | Permalink

This will be no Green Fork or Whispering Wood, mark my words.

2. plehouw2
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 4:37 am | Permalink

Will be interesting to see how they do the wildfire.

Patrick Stewart for Stannis!!!!

3. GaR
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 4:44 am | Permalink

plehouw2,

Green fire, I expect.

Coincidentally I’m watching the Patrick Stewart episode of Extras right now. The man’s amazing. He could rock as Stannis, but he’s a bit old to be Mark Addy’s little brother. I’d have loved for him to play Ser Barristan (though we got an excellent actor for that role anyway).

Since Kevin McKidd was suggested for Stannis I can’t picture anyone else. Hopefully Grey’s Anatomy… goes away… or something.

Maybe I’m just hanging out for actual casting news :<

4. Onos Toolan
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 4:44 am | Permalink

And for all you SanSan lovers, check out the comments on George’s Not a Blog…..he has confirmed that there the Sansa and Sandor scene will be in there. I’m looking forward to Rory’s performance on that one.

5. Damryn of Dorne
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 5:12 am | Permalink

This should be as good as Baelor…

p.s. Seriously, ADWD spoilers or troll fake spoilers are ruining my browsing experience :(

6. Mario Mjoed
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 5:24 am | Permalink

dont get too excited. i think the first drafts of the original s1 scripts were much more direwolve/cgi/battle heavy and had more characters/scenes in it and then got cut, just as most of the s2 scripts will – nothing is confirmed until we actually see it. but hopefully they get a few more dollars to spend this time…

7. RathHood
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 5:26 am | Permalink

Yay It’s true! He confirmed Sansa/Sandor stuff (‘sing for your life little bird‘ – hehe)!

8. Arne
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 5:36 am | Permalink

Since Tyrion dont have a squire in the tv-series, who will kill Ser Mandon Moore? I demand some Podrick action!

9. Gormryjk
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 5:53 am | Permalink

I’ll post this again from another thread:

Do you guys think episode 9 includes The House of The Undying as well?

10. GaR
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 6:06 am | Permalink

Arne,

I’ve been assuming they’d wait to introduce Pod in season 2 since he didn’t have much to do in season 1.

“assuming” in this case can be swapped out for “hoping”

11. Marius
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 6:12 am | Permalink

Is there any confirmation on how many episode we will see in season 2?
    10 spisodes was far to short….

12. GaR
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 6:23 am | Permalink

Marius,

D&D say 10, so I’d say 10 it is.

Clash may be longer than Thrones, but there’s a good deal fewer characters to introduce, and the story (IMO) doesn’t move along as quickly, so ten should be okay.

Hells, the first four episodes of season 1 were as much Westeros 101 as actually telling the story.

A Storm of Swords now… that’s a different issue…

13. Anvil
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 6:23 am | Permalink

Marius:
    Is there any confirmation on how many episode we will see in season 2?
    10 spisodes was far to short….

It’s 10 eps again and apparently expanded Jamie and Robb stuff. Should be interesting how they’ll cram it all together in ~ 540 mins.

14. Adam Whitehead
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 6:28 am | Permalink

There’ll be 10 episodes in Season 2. HBO’s bosses said so to Mo Ryan months ago. People keeping saying that maybe there’ll be more, but no. If there was going to be more they’d have had to have made that decision months ago when the first drafts of the first few scripts were being written and budgets were being assigned.

15. Mike Chair
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 6:52 am | Permalink

I hope they end episode 8 with very the start of it, start episode 10 with the very end of it, and that episode 9 is nothing but it.

16. Marius
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 6:57 am | Permalink

Thanks for reply. Only time will show if it’s enough :)
    I have faith in the writers, but must admit that 12 or more eps. of this fantastic series would be preferred :)

Posted July 7, 2011 at 7:08 am | Permalink

Anvil,

Hope they reach the 560 minutes of the first season at least ;) It’s doable, tight and exciting. Then 2×10 to adapt ASoS … the idea has been entertained by the showrunners, though it’s all about season 2 now, of course. One step at a time.

18. Ser Eld
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 7:10 am | Permalink

With how well your books are selling, you could self-fund the battle scenes.

As GRRM points out: It’s not only a thought, it’s a GREAT IDEA.

We should start some kind of fundraiser for ep. 9 “Blackwater”. If we all spit in a little bit, we can make enough to give the world an hour of Television they never has seen before! And GRRM should spit in too! :-D

19. GaR
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 7:17 am | Permalink

Marius,

I agree. I’m currently rereading Thrones, and I can’t help but wish they’d spread it out a lot more. Like three seasons per book. Unrealistic, of course, but the prologue alone could be an episode.

It’d never fly on TV, but I’d fucking love it.

20. GaR
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 7:18 am | Permalink

Ser Eld,

Nice thought, but to make a real difference you’re talking millions of dollars. It’s about as realistic as my dreams of thirty hours of telly per book :<

21. tysnow
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 7:21 am | Permalink

Ser Eld,

I like your idea, a Blackwater fund that fans can contribute too, so that the battle is done right.

So, lets say, if their are 1 million really hardcore Thrones fans out there and we contribute 20 bucks apiece, thats 20 million smackaros for a properly done battle. Sign me up.

Heck even 10 mill would probably be enough.

22. Gormryjk
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 7:25 am | Permalink

HmR,

I don’t know…

Let’s say they split up ASOS in two seasons, then AFFC and ADWD combined would probably be 3 seasons. Personally, I don’t know how GRRM is going to be able to finish this story in only two more books after ADWD, but let’s say he does. There’s no way either of The Winds of Winter or A Dream of Spring will be any shorter than ASOS and ADWD, so that means another two seasons each. Which would bring the entire show in at a total of 11 seasons. And that’s just never going to happen. Even if GoT becomes the most successful show in the history of television, it’s never going to run 11 seasons.

So while 20 episodes per book would be super tasty, I’d much prefer them to stick to one season per book (try getting 13 episodes for ASOS or something), just to increase the chances of them actually finishing the show..

23. Gorshak
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 7:28 am | Permalink

I would support such a fund and give some money to have a better/longer/ grander and more epic/direwolf & dragon heavy second season with big onscreen battles!

24. marzman
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 7:38 am | Permalink

25. boulder
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 7:44 am | Permalink

I think personally it’s a case of preferring to see it done smaller, but well. A huge battle would be fantastic of course, or loads of wolves/dragons, but if it’s going to come out looking something like “Mega Python vs Gatoroid” (on SyFy last night, abysmal), then what’s the point?
    The guy’s clearly know what they’re doing, just hope the budget WILL stretch to do something impressive.

26. Ser Eld
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 7:44 am | Permalink

THE BLACKWATER FUNDRAISER:

I know the idea is crazy, but hey, it’s worth a thought. :-) It could be great publicity for the show also, if the media get the right angle of fans paying up to make the show even more epic. And we could do it as a challenge: For every buck we manage to spit up, HBO has to spit up one too, or something like it ;-)

I would myself GLADLY give 20 bucks for this, and hopefully there are thousands like me out there…

27. Nick Larter
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 7:45 am | Permalink

I was trying to recall the running times for this season’s episodes – am I right in thinking that they varied between about 52 and 65 minutes? I’m sure I saw that written somewhere but don’t remember where. Anyhow, the point is surely that if all the episodes in season 2 are up around the 65 minute mark then that’s worth at least a whole extra episode in terms of screen time.

28. Shock Me
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 7:47 am | Permalink

marzman: I am totally in as well. 20 bucks would not hurt me at all. If we get the whole fan community around the world to donate, it should do the trick.

It could be like the Dwarf’s Penny but with inflation!

29. jwsnasa
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 7:49 am | Permalink

GaR,

Many shows have 20 or more episodes per season, but their budget can bear it. I know D & D keep saying 10, but I keep secretly hoping that great book sales and viewer numbers will be rewarded with a bigger budget.

30. DavosFTW!
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 8:32 am | Permalink

So long as I get to see a boat. I want to be on a boat. Davos wouldn’t be the coolest knight in Westeros without a boat.

I’ll pay a hundred bucks to see a boat. And thats Australian money. These days thats like $105 american. Oh Yeah.

31. Hollyoak
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 8:43 am | Permalink

Damryn of Dorne:
    This should be as good as Baelor…

That’s a bummer. We all need to be very careful. What kind of sites are you visiting? I’m only coming to this site, and just skimming the comments. I also only scan Tower of the Hand. They have a lot of good recaps about where AFFC ended.

Be careful, my friends. (Spoken like the Most interesting Man in the World, from the Dos Eqquis commercials: “Stay thirsty my friends.”)

32. Jesper Molbo
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 8:44 am | Permalink

As far as i understand from the interviews with D&D, making the second season 10 episodes is actually not a matter of money. It’s a matter of time, logistics and quality concerns. They simply cannot write, produce, shoot and edit more than 10 episodes in a years time. The only way to do so would be to hire more people, but that would also mean giving up some control for both themselves and the directors, in which case they cannot ensure the same quality.

They have also said they have the idea of ending season 3 with The Red Wedding, so they would cover what, 60-65%? of book 3 – leaving 10 episodes for the epicness of the rest of the book in season 4. That, by the way, would be the most epic season of anything ever!

33. Adrian
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 8:56 am | Permalink

I object to the notion, however joking, that fans should pay for such things when the suggestion was that the millionaire author should do it.

Surely the sale of a few more out of date water damaged calendars could help.

34. Lina
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Arne:

Bronn? They’re really playing up the Tyrion-Bronn bromance, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it went this route. In the book Bronn is in charge of the chain, but they could easily rework that. Or maybe Mandon Moore won’t attack Tyrion at all? Ideally I would love to see Pod, since he’ll feature again in AFFC, but if they don’t have the resources to incorporate him, I’d like to see Bronn.

A Blackwater Fund would be the ultimate fan contribution. But logistically would it work? Would HBO realistically take money from random people to fund a project? I feel as though it wouldn’t be as simple as it seems…there must be some legal/tax implication that would complicate everything.

Posted July 7, 2011 at 9:09 am | Permalink

Adrian, I agree with you. Certainly we all have paid HBO and GRRM enough already that they should be able to fund a truly epic battle, if they wanted to.

Not that I’m saying that I expect GRRM to dip into his pocket and fund something that he will not see any monetary return on (at least HBO can conceivably get some ROI); but if anyone is going to just give HBO free money, it should be the guy currently pulling in monstrous royalty checks.

36. JonJRaymond
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 9:10 am | Permalink

Lina:
    A Blackwater Fund would be the ultimate fan contribution.But logistically would it work?Would HBO realistically take money from random people to fund a project?I feel as though it wouldn’t be as simple as it seems…there must be some legal/tax implication that would complicate everything.

Yes let’s subsidize the millionaires who own HBO!

37. Luke-WarmHands
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 9:24 am | Permalink

I would contribute, but it would have to be held by GRRM or HBO. That’s the only way we would know the money went to the right place. They could replace the counter for ADWD on the front of Martin’s site with a counter keeping track of donations for the blackwater…

38. Chris77
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 9:26 am | Permalink

They should really do a Usurpers War miniseries or Even better a Trilogy with à LOTR Budget, now that would Be epic… They could get Bean and Addy retelling the Story, like they are doing with Frodo in the Hobbit and recast the Most of the actors with younger unknowns. Ahhh.. One can Dream right?

39. Hollyoak
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 9:47 am | Permalink

I love the Blackwater fund! We should do this! It’s hilarious and fun.

We, the Sers and Ladies of House Gatewatch, forthwith…..titles, titles…

40. Cajunman
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 9:51 am | Permalink

RE: Fundraiser

LOL. I’ll bake some brownies and rice crispie treats.

41. Shock Me
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Cajunman: RE: FundraiserLOL. I’ll bake some brownies and rice crispie treats.

Mud Pie! Mud Pie!

42. Eugene Toussaint
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Does anyone know how many episodes season 2 will have? I really hope its not ten again.

43. dizzy_34
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 10:00 am | Permalink

A Blackwater fund raiser? If you have to spend more money, spend it on an HBO supscription or buy the DVD/Blurays for yourself and/or gift them to your friends.

44. mauerpower
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 10:03 am | Permalink

I wasn’t quite sure where to put this comment, but Lev Grossman has left a glowing (as expected) review of DwD, in which he goes beyond “the American Tolkien” to “the best literary writer working today.”

45. Gondo
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 10:05 am | Permalink

They should pretty much just sink the lion’s share of the season’s budget into this episode. But I’m hopeful that we’ll get more CGI in the second series. I think they’re moving to a larger FX company which will probably be better value in the long-run as basic models can be re-used and hopefully, the technology for rendering things like fire and hair/fur will already be in-house and won’t need to be developed.

Also, casting solid actors rather than big name performers like Patrick Stewart means more money for big set pieces and dragons/direwolves :)

A bit early to start speculating on series 3 but a run of 13 episodes would be enough to cover parts 1 and 2 of ASOS.

46. Eagle1
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 10:05 am | Permalink

WSJ: “So I understand you’re writing an episode of next season’s “Game of Thrones” called “Blackwater.” . . . . Is it about the Battle of the Blackwater?

GRRM: “Battle of the Blackwater Rush, yes indeed.”

WSJ: “That sounds great.”

WOWWWWW! That WSJ reporter just blew me away there. Preparation? Check. Witty follow up? Check.

Posted July 7, 2011 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Eugene Toussaint:

Well you are going to be disappointed…. it’s ten.

48. Ser Eld
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 10:12 am | Permalink

DavosFTW!,

With the Blackwater FANraiser we are talking BOATS, not A boat! :-D

I’m all for getting GRRM and HBO on board *snigger* and make this a match race. For every buck we give, they have to match it!

Hollyoak,

LOL I want first pick for titles!

49. andres
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Someone please start a Blackwater Battle Fund campaign at http://www.thepoint.com/ nobody has to pay if we don’t reach the goal… and we should get HBO/GRRM to match fan contributions, that way it’s not just them fleecing us, but 50-50 collaboration.

50. Ser Eld
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 10:15 am | Permalink

dizzy_34,

Agreed!
    Everybody should make at least one DVD gift for friends and family :-)

51. Hollyoak
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 10:27 am | Permalink

dizzy_34:

Oh, I’ll do that too. But the idea of fans donating a dollar or more to a fund for a scene in a show has never been done before. It’s hilarious. (I know it probably won’t happen, but it’s fun to talk about.)

Posted July 7, 2011 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Hollyoak,

Hilarious it may be, but Lina is right, there has to be some legal issue with donating money to a for-profit corporation. I’m guessing there is a reason this hasn’t been done before and it’s not because no other fan base is as dedicated to their show as we are.

53. Kai Alexis Price
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 10:33 am | Permalink

I’ve said this before: HBO should allow cash-upfront pre-orders of the DVDs/BluRays, even before the seasons are produced, in order to raise funds to do the job right and also eliminate some of the “risk.”

Posted July 7, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Kai Alexis Price, I don’t think they would need to “raise funds.” They have plenty of money already.

Now I’m pretty sure that HBO gets reports on how many pre-orders there are for any particular DVD/Blu-Ray set. So if they are getting a high amount of pre-orders, that would indicate high sales and more revenue to come upon release. In that case, they might (and I stress the word might) give D&D a few more million to work with.

55. Hollyoak
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming:
    Hollyoak,

I’m sure you’re right, Winter.

56. Gorshak
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Star Trek: Enterprise tried to raise 30 millions for another season through fan fund-raising after it was canceled.

I do not know whether UPN would have accepted the offer.

57. Clob
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 10:59 am | Permalink

I’m still going to hope, probably foolishly, that a few of the 10 episodes become too difficult to edit down to 54-60 minutes and HBO says, “Go for it! You can have 90 minutes for episode (x) & (x).” I’d love me some extended episodes.

‘funny story’ I was told yesterday. Got a friend to start reading the books after the season started and would tell her when she was far enough in the first book to watch each episode… She got her son into the HBO series and he watched the last two episodes before she’d gotten to that point in the book. He said, “Mom, you GOTTA watch the last two NOW!” She did and started texting me all crazy like. :) However, she is not one of those that got all mad, but rather the kind that now has a hightened fervor for reading to see what happens next.

58. tysnow
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Ser Eld,

I plan on buying at least 10 blue ray sets for family members, espcially if its at Christmas.

I would buy more HBO merchandise, but I won’t spend money on generic stuff, I am waiting on high quality items, like you find from Noble Collection or Weta Sideshow.

59. digdoug
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 11:13 am | Permalink

George –
    Please get started on the script for the movie of Robert’s Rebellion. Full length movie please – ready for major release.
    If desired, using a Beowulf style is perfectly acceptable.

60. nixterida
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Damn David Hasselhoff was cast for Sons of Anarchy… I was really hoping for Davos! (not)

61. Maxwell James
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Since this topic actually concerns my day-job: Yes there are legal issues. It is possible to make donations to a for-profit corporation but it has to be for a (federally approved) charitable purpose, and include expense controls to demonstrate the money was spent only on that purpose.

In theory, fans could set up a 501(c)3 with the “charitable purpose” of “improving the recreation of the Battle of Blackwater Rush on HBO,” and then receive expense reports from Fire & Blood productions showing that their donations were actually used for this purpose. It would probably be more defensible if HBO agreed to match all donations.

All that said, the odds of an IRS investigation would be pretty damn high. Probably wiser to just buy more GoT merch and hope for the best.

62. andrea
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Lina: Would HBO realistically take money from random people to fund a project? I feel as though it wouldn’t be as simple as it seems…there must be some legal/tax implication that would complicate everything.

Lina, I don´t know how the tax laws works in Ireland (or whatever the producers are) but theres would be no problem here (Argentina), on the contrary. Create a foundation frees you from paying taxes.
    I realize this wasn´t your idea but, on this subject I completely agree with WiC. It seems crazy to me that fans put even a penny. I don´t even know where to begin to object this idea. I mean, there´s so much tragedy in the world and so many other more better causes to raise money for. I´m not a religious freak or whatever but I don´t know, just thinking about it makes me feel unconfortable. I guess people do what they want with their money, so I´ll better shut up.

63. andrea
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

I completely agree with you WiC. I got a little dramatic in my reply to Lina about this ( i hope she forgive me) and probably many fans find it boring as well as dramatic. I don´t want to preach about anything just try to be as honest as I can. It seems utter nonsense to raise money for this. They already have enough.

64. Hollyoak
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink

andrea: Lina, I don´t know how the tax laws works in Ireland (or whatever the producers are) buttheres would be no problem here (Argentina), on the contrary. Create a foundationfrees you from paying taxes.
    I realize this wasn´t your idea but, on this subjectI completely agree with WiC. It seems crazy to me that fans puteven a penny. I don´t even know where to begin to object this idea. I mean, there´s so much tragedy in the worldand so many other more better causes to raise money for. I´m not a religious freak or whatever but I don´t know, just thinking about it makes me feel unconfortable. I guess people do what they want with their money, so I´ll better shut up.

65. Ser Eld
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 11:49 am | Permalink

andrea,

Dont shut up, you have a good point! I thought about it my self, there ARE more important issues in this world of ours than GOT. But of all the unimportant ones GOT is by far the biggest for me.

:-)

66. Ryan John
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 11:54 am | Permalink

67. Eric Bigpicture
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 11:59 am | Permalink

This talk of treating HBO like a needy charity is crazy. Season 2′s budget is set. Scripts are outlined. Season 3′s budget will be influenced by things like DVD sales, licensing revenues, etc. Perhaps a sudden surge in interest in the books (already happening) will help give them confidence to increase the budget.

HBO doesn’t need more money. What is needed is for the executives responsible for such decisions to decide that spending more money on season 3 of Game of Thrones is a good investment. The money is threre, it’s not like HBO is breaking open its vault of penny jars to scrape together Blackwater funds. It’s a question of will the money be well spend. It’s a business, it exists solely to make profit. It is not PBS.

If you want to help, buy the books (just bought them all on my Kindle), buy ADWD (bought two copies — hardcover and Kindle release), buy the DVDs and/or Blue-rays when they come out. These are the things that makes HBO more willing to cough up more dough for future seasons, not your lemonade stands.

This is all without pointing out the horrible precedent it would set — private citizens, who presumably already pay a company for an (overpriced) service, paying that company extra as a means of begging for changes to a television show. Not to mention all the actual, real-life charities that do important things for real people. Not begging for better dire wolves.

“I can haz maor dirwolfes HBO!!!!!, I sent you cA$H monies…. ZOMGZ!!!”

Nope, not insane at all.

68. Epic the Foo
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James: Probably wiser to just buy more GoT merch and hope for the best.

Though don’t buy the soundtrack–it’s giving HBO a mixed message.

… Did someone say free money? This has got to be the most hilarious GoT post ever. I wonder what HBO people think when they read that people are actually joking about donating money for a better show.

I think Wyclef Jean is working on it. Text 38483 to donate $5 to the GoT cgi fund

69. Vince Gerardis
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Ser Eld,

If this can happen, it must be set up in advance, within proper channels, to assure that the money will be received and spent according to expectations. Please stand by for details. If it’s what you want, we will look at setting up a properly organized campaign to get this done, in concert with HBO’s legal, etc. Don’t put money into a system yet. This must be organized – and safe. Please just stand by for details….

70. andrea
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Hollyoak: I think we were all just getting excited and having fun. (I think we need some new news, Andrea!)

Ser Eld: So let’s not take everything too serious shall we? Crazy fans (me included) should be allowed some dreams. And I dream of a proper episode worthy of that epic event in the book.

To both of you thanks for the answer and not to hate me:

I´m a little bit sensitive today. I´m sorry. Like you I also want news of course and dream that the show will be even better than season 1. The truth is: I love to read what you all write here every day. So, I´ll try to be less dramatic. I promise you.

71. Shock Me
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Epic the Foo: chasing men down or killing people as efficiently as Jaime does.

Although the business model is never likely to come about, I’d love to buy my entertainment more directly than even HBO can offer. Let me download free pilots of shows I’d like to watch (ad-supported if necessary) and then let me suscribe directly to the production company. Dump schedules and broadcasting and I can guarnatee you my watching a certain number of hours everyday.

72. Clob
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Ryan John: I just hope the episode doesn’t have Tyrion pulling off so many of the unlikely acts that he does. I never could believe him chasing men down or killing people as efficiently as Jaime does.

Yeah. On that note, at that point in the books I still wanted Tyrion to be killed for some reason. I was all “come on, he should be toast right now!” as he was riding around. I don’t think it was until he was recovering that my view turned around. Of course on the HBO series I’ve been on his side from the start. :)

73. Ser Eld
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

andrea,

Don’t think about it!
    We all just have fun (hopefully…) while discussing a show we all really care about :-)

So… back to the script of episode 9 “Blackwater”: I like that GRRM is the one scripting it, but equally important is who is going to direct it. I’m hoping for that guy (can’t remember his name) that did the last two episodes of season one. He did exceptional work!

Posted July 7, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Vince Gerardis,

Hey Vince, thanks for stopping by. If it is something that can be done, I’m sure many fans would be happy to contribute. And we at WiC.net will, of course, be willing to promote it. :)

Keep us posted!

75. Kingthlayer
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

I think the ideal should be this: We set up a charity to benefit a real charity organization (suggestions for anything GoT related but it could be for a war torn nation or place struck by natural disaster) and get HBO to agree to fund the battle scene dollar for dollar for what we can raise for a thrid party. That way HBO can claim that Thrones has provided charitible support and we get our Blackwater and George stays rich :). That’s my ideal anyway.

76. Hollyoak
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

andrea:
    To both of you thanks for the answer and not to hate me:

I´m a little bit sensitive today. I´m sorry. Like you I also want news of course and dream that the show will be even better than season 1. The truth is:I love to read what you all write here every day. So, I´ll try to be less dramatic. I promise you.

Andrea! No Need to apologize!

I thought we were done with this little bit of fun, but I see that people are coming on and really taking it seriously. LOL. What hath we wrought?

77. Epic the Foo
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: And we at WiC.net will, of course, be willing to promote it. :)

bumped from hilarious to surreal. Am I in a Woody Allan short story?

78. Ser Eld
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Kingthlayer:

I like this one :-)

Posted July 7, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Epic the Foo: bumped from hilarious to surreal. Am I in a Woody Allan short story?

Ha! I have to admit that I didn’t think the producers would take this seriously. But if they want to make it happen and fans are willing to contribute, well, we will get the word out.

I don’t plan on making a donation, but if others wish to do so, hey, more power to them. And I will gladly enjoy the benefits of their generosity come episode nine of season two. ;)

80. Gormryjk
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Kingthlayer:

Second!

81. andrea
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Ser Eld: I like that GRRM is the one scripting it, but as important is who is going to direct it.

Remember: GRRM wrote that he delivered only the first draft and said it´s too long and too expensive so I guess he already knows he will have to make it shorter and cheaper. I can not play this game!!! I´m too realistic today! But I hope you´re right and I´m all wrong.

82. Kingthlayer
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Gormryjk,

I think this would be more redily acceptable. We could give some $$ to the ASPCA to send goodwill towards the folks that are turned off by the animal cruelty. We could give to places ravaged by real war. I think it would strenghthen our community and give great press for the show. If this is a serious thing, I have a connection that might be able to get a proposal in the hands of Kary Antholis – an exec over at HBO. They may not agree but to make it for their benefit we could cap their liability at say $5million (in the event that we earn more than that and we would make sure to say it’s in addition to the already budgeted amount for the episode). If HBO agreed I can see anyone who wouldn’t benefit.

83. Ser Eld
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

andrea: Remember: GRRM wrote thathe delivered only the first draft and said it´stoo long and too expensive so I guess he already knowshe will have to make it shorter and cheaper. I can not play this game!!! I´m too realistic today! But I hopeyou´rerightand I´m all wrong.

Yup! The first draft has to be revised, killing many of GRRM’s babies. But I hope they keep true to the book in the sense that they do it epic, and not end up making it into a skirmish to save dollares ;-)

84. andrea
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Hollyoak,

Well , Kingthlayer´s idea is better. I will not put any money either way but I think “quid pro quo” it´s ok. No matter who started this… probably, as you said, a lot of people felt weird with the other idea.

85. Daisy May
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

San/San
    /happydance

86. kiarmdear
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

boulder,

I somehow read “but if it’s going to come out looking something like ‘Monty Python on Gatoraide’” and thought that was the best damning description of a bad medieval tv series ever. Oh. “Mega Python vs Gatoroid”. Ok, I see your point there too. I guess.

87. A Bear_A Bear
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Eric Bigpicture,

Well said – I think anybody who thinks there’s any way that the budget/number of episodes/major casting on S2 isn’t already locked in doesn’t really understand how multimillion-dollar corporations do business. Well, the casting might still be in progress, but I’m pretty confident the major roles were cast pretty soon after they got the green light for S2 and it’s just contract/legal stuff preventing them from announcing anything just yet.

As for the suggestion of GRRM actually shelling out money from his own pocket to make a better Blackwater – why should he? He’s in this game to make a living, not out of the kindness of his heart.

I’m a bit puzzled when I see people suggesting that the production team need more money/episodes in order to “do S2 right”. Does that mean they did S1 “wrong” or that it wasn’t absolutely the best, most faithful adaptation that they could possibly have done in the real world as opposed to the inner fantasy-worlds of fanboys like myself? I honestly don’t think so, and I expect S2 to be just as solid and satisfying as the first one was.

88. Lina
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

andrea:
    Winter Is Coming,

I completely agree with you WiC. I got a little dramatic in my reply to Lina about this( i hope she forgive me) and probably many fans find it boring as well as dramatic. I don´t want to preach about anything justtry to be as honest as I can. It seems utter nonsense to raise money for this. They already have enough.

Don’t worry, I wasn’t offended. :) I don’t think it’s possible logistically, nor do I think it’s the right way to support the show. As I said originally, it would be “the ultimate fan contribution”…pretty much the be-all-end-all of fans supporting their obsession. But it’s also not the right way to go about it, as, like you said, it could be seen as insulting to REAL donation funds and charities that work to save lives and improve education and achieve the myriad of other things that need to be done in the world.

A lot of people have said this already but I’ll throw my voice to the cause: The best way to “donate” to Game of Thrones is to have an HBO subscription, buy the DVD set, and buy merchandise from the HBO Store. I consider my Stark and Targ t-shirts my “donation” to the production, and I’ll “donate” again when the DVD comes out.

I think people just jumped on the idea of a Blackwater Fund because we’re in a lull with news right now, and more prominently, because fans like to feel like they’re a part of what’s going on. I think a donation fund would make people feel like they’re somehow responsible for a part of the show, and I think that involvement is what people crave when they’re so dedicated to a fandom like we all are. Not to get all camp counselor here, but that’s why we all need to stick together and keep discussing the show and remember that even when we argue, we’re all here out of love for the same thing.

If anyone will be going to GRRM’s book signings, this is a fund of sorts that you can “donate” to. I love baking, and would love to bake for George, but alas, I have to head over to the NY signing after a long day at the office. So I’d have to make anything the night before, and I don’t think I could bear to serve George Martin food that wasn’t the freshest and best I could make. :)

89. andrea
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Ser Eld: nd not end up making it into a skirmish to save dollares ;-)

YES! I hope that the large iron chain does not end up being a ribbon, jars of wildfire not lemon jam and the ships of Stannis not like our army (wich we don´t have : no army no ships here in my country after Malvinas war, thanksfully).

90. Balerion
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

I would like it more when GRRM finishes the bookseries.

91. Ser Eld
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

A Bear_A Bear,

S1 was HUGELY satisfying. But there was no real battle scenes in S1, and in book 2 (wich season 2 should follow) there is some major key points containing battles they HAVE to get right…

And making battle scenes is probably the most expensive thing you can do. Put a fair amount of required CGI on top of that and yes, it could come to this: They cut some vital part because of budget shortcomings.

Would it ruin the show for me? Probably not. But I HOPE and WANT it to be epic. :-)

All good film(and TV)makers has to operate within limits, be it financial or artistic. The people doing this show has shown such fingerspitzgefühl so far I think they are gonna do the right thing anyway.

92. andrea
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Lina: . So I’d have to make anything the night before, and I don’t think I could bear to serve George Martin food that wasn’t the freshest and best I could make. :)

That´s a “donation” that I could do! Fresh food to GRRM. If I had to send food to GRRM, would probably look like Cat Stark at the end of AFfC . Certainly not fresh enough. I´m glad that you are not offended, it wasn´t my intention at all, I misunderstood “the ultimate fan contribution” (matter of languages I guess). Thanks.

93. Ser Eld
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

I admit it! *raising hands defensively in the air, head hung low*
    I came up with the Blackwater Fundraiser idea… Some people thought it was fun and started commenting on it :-)

I agree, maybe not an idea I had thought through enough, maybe not my brightest moment either, but I liked the weird and crazy notion it would be if we as fans could contribute to a scene in the series.

Morally, you can shoot it down, but lets not get too judgmental :-) People use money on many things, and if we think about it we all probably have used it on something not entirely “moral” the past week. I have anyway, but thats me. I bought a pair of shoes I could do without, and a yesterday I bought a couple of beers I REALLY could do without ;-)

IMO we should not make this a moral issue. If some bloke or girl want to buy ten BLU-RAYS of our show or make another kind of contribution, it should be their choice. :-)

That said, I like you all and we should of course have room for discussions and also critical remarks on this splendid forum :-)

94. Brian Smith
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

If we have to wait until SDCC for casting announcements, I am going to headbutt the fucking sidewalk until my skull fractures.

95. sjwenings
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

About the donation for the Blackwaterbattle-thing:

If we were to do this – what would be optimal, would be if someone could set up a site where we could uh… like, click a “donate”-button, put in our Visa number and stuff, and donate a predetermined sum.

If we would have to use paypal or something, then i know i wouldn’t support it, because i simply can’t be bothered with getting a paypal-orwhatever-account, just for this. I’ve looked into it before, and it’s kind of a pain in the ass to get an account. I’d bet making it as straightfoward and easy as humanly possible would help a lot.

And also: If people wanna donate this way, why the hell not? It would mean the money is certainly going straight to the battle we all want. On the other hand: Would we be able to gather a lot of money? I’m not sure. How many people read this blog? Not THAT many, i guess. And how many would actually donate? 1 out of 20? The vast majority of the fans of GOT would not even know about this funding. Soo… i dunno. Couldn’t hurt, though.

96. Chris
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Vince Gerardis:
    Ser Eld,

Did nobody else but WiC notice this post? Vince Gerardis is a producer for the show, and he’s all but endorsing the idea for a Blackwater Fundraiser.

97. Ser Eld
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Chris,

No, I didnt! But hey, I think it’s cool that he gives a fig. :-)

98. andrea
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Ser Eld,

Ah! you make me feel bad now!!! I try to play with the Blackwater battle scene with you, don´t you see it? Maybe a poor attempt? just forget what I said, even a friend of the producers or someone important, agree with you!!!

99. HandmaidenofDany
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

I would donate money to this since I only have HBO while the show is on and not year round. I think an epic Blackwater scene would blow audiences away!

On a side note, I don’t think this should be something a “for-profit” company should come to expect, that is the only aspect that concerns me.

100. Stein Sogge
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

This would certainly be a one-off thing, I suspect :-)

101. Chris77
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Well they could do show the names of the donators in the credits of the last episode on the DvD like they did with the LOTR EE where the fanclub members were shown…Or they could offer prizes like a role as an extra on the show or a replica of the hounds helm or the IronThrone or something like that…

Since getting started with ASOIAF I donated the following:

The Books (Enlish paperback)
    The Books (German Paperbak for my Wife, who is not that good at reading English)
    The Kindle Set
    The beautyfull audiobooks except AFFC ( cause there is no Dotrice)
    Both Hedge Knight Graphic Novels
    Both Art of Ice and Fire books
    The GoT App
    The Soundtrack

Preordered:
    ADWD Hardcover
    ADWD Kindle
    Season 1 Bluray
    ADWD Audiobook
    will preorder Season 1 in German for my Wife as well…
    Waiting for some decent Action Figures…

102. Dave Brownell
    Posted July 8, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

DUDE COME ON GEORGE RR MARTIN!!!! JUMP ON THAT SHIT AND DUMP LIKE 5MILL INTO THE BATTLE SCENE!!!!! Seriously (no caps lol), this scene i have read over and over and over again, because it was written so well it was literally like i was RIGHT THERE in the battle! and when the sh*t hits the fan…. omg i HAVE to see that scene done HBO perfection with green fire comin out everywhere, and fighting, and backstabbing, and AHH!

Martin, if i had won the lottery, i would give it ALL over to see that scene done right. I don’t joke or exaggerate. This scene is amazing, and i can’t wait to see it :)
    I’m also stoked they got the man himself to write one of the most important episodes. it proves their vigilance to their dedication to keeping the adaption incredibly faithfully.

NP: Unbind My Hands – Insision

1. [...] frattempo, inoltre, ha annunciato qualche giorno fa di aver finito la prima bozza dello script dell’episodio riguardante la [...]