How did Thrones do in the UK?
By Hear Me Roar on in News.

Really rather well! It has been a while since Game of Thrones stopped airing on Sky Atlantic. Our loyal reader Martin (@Wyvernwood) provided us with viewership numbers week by week, and at the end compiled some comparative data obtained from BARB – Broadcasters’ Audience Research Board on top of that. Turning the numbers into graphics, we get the following chart (click to enlarge/embiggen):

The chart shows viewers in million for each of the three shows, True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, and Game of Thrones. BE and GoT both aired on Sky, while True Blood aired on a comparable satellite channel. Note that the available numbers for TB are from the second season, and not the opening one as is the case with the other two shows. Some data are missing: those for the first two and the last two episodes of the BE run, and for TB episode 206. The TB trendline has been condensed to fit the 10 episode run of Thrones.

Hear Me Roar: We can roughly sum up the numbers up as follows – TB season two averaged about half a million viewers weekly, BE one million, while GoT tops the chart with 1.5 million weekly viewers. It aired on a newly established premium channel, which makes its successful run even more impressive. Though it is true that True Blood S2 only aired once per week, we can see GoT matched a whole week of delayed viewing already with its initial airing. The international success of Thrones, also beyond the UK, is encouraging indeed.

So, all ship-shape and Bristol fashion – onwards and upwards!

1. Wyvernwood /Martin E
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 10:04 am | Permalink

I should point out that I couldn’t find figures for True Blood S1 (I guess they were archived on the main BARB site) – so the True Blood figs are for season 2, ie once the show was already established.

The better comparison is with Boardwalk Empire which screened on the same channel, and also after a degree of hype. For some reason the ep1+ep2 figures for BE were only partial, hence I omitted them from the figures.

The part I do find odd, is the drop for episodes 8 + 9. Epsiodes 1-4 were the weakest overall, so a fall was expected (to some extent at least), but episodes 5-7 were strong.

Oh well, I guess we Brits are a fickle bunch.

2. Knurk
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 10:06 am | Permalink

I’m curious at how the ratings are in other countries, besides the premier in Spain we had no information on that. All those nationalities here, some people must be able to provide some info here. I’d love to give you the dutch ratings, expect them here in 2013!

3. Felagund
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Knurk,

The Hungarian HBO, for instance, outright denied to give us information on the numbers of viewers, claiming it to be “trade secret”.

No comment… :?

4. Hollyoak
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Do the Powers that Be at WIC have any plans for tomorrow? Will we be able to post reaction to the book? I guess that would be kind of hard, even with spoiler bars. Maybe we could do a post for each chapter?

Up to you guys of course.

5. Caedes
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 11:01 am | Permalink

My google-fu is poor indeed, for I can’t find any info on Spanish rating beyond the well-known serires premiere record for the channel of 850.000 viewers.

Tonight is aired “Fire and Blood”, 10th episode, and I’ve got 9 people at home to dinner and enjoy it! :-)

Posted July 11, 2011 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Hollyoak, one open thread for all ADWD discussion, going up tomorrow. We won’t require spoiler tags either, since if we did, the entire thread would devolve into huge spoilered blocks of text. So venture into the thread only after you’ve completed ADWD.

7. Team Sansa
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Dearest WIC,

I really like the suggestion of a chapter-by-chapter post! I’m not going to be able to read it as quickly as some of my illustrious peers, but I can’t imagine staying away for the whole time. Pretty please? I can digest each chapter along with my peeps without spoiler-bombs.

Yours truly,
    Team Sansa

Posted July 11, 2011 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Team Sansa, since our primary focus here at WiCnet is the TV series, we aren’t going to be going too in-depth in our coverage of the new book. One post is about all we plan to do. I might post a review later, after I’ve read the book, if I have the time and energy.

I’m pretty sure Westeros.org is doing the chapter-by-chapter thing, so I encourage you to head over there for some as-you-read discussion.

9. Team Sansa
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Oh! Okay. I’ve never been to westeros.org before, so I’ll have to check it out. I can’t imagine being faithful to both sites – my work/personal/social life has already taken a hit because of this one :)

Posted July 11, 2011 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Towerofthehand.com is another option. We form the holy ASoIaF trinity, I like to imagine ;)

11. dimensionallyt
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 11:30 am | Permalink

It will be interesting to see the long-term implications on Sky and Murdoch’s various media ventures, what with the hacking scandal (For the hacking scandal see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_of_the_World_phone_hacking_affair). Hopefully, there will not be any, but it is quite likely there will be a few people who might have subscribed next season refusing to now. Sky as the destination channel was already controversial because of the number boycotting Murdoch.

12. Eirikur
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I still can’t believe that the 11 year (!) wait is over tomorrow. This is gonna have a seriously detrimental effect on my work effort over the next few days… ;)

13. Hollyoak
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming:

Wow, I wonder who will finish first and be able to post. It could take weeks for me to make a post. Still, I accept and understand your decision , my Lord.

14. Hollyoak
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Team Sansa:
    Winter Is Coming,

Oh!Okay.I’ve never been to westeros.org before, so I’ll have to check it out.I can’t imagine being faithful to both sites – my work/personal/social life has already taken a hit because of this one :)

Team Sansa, Tower of the Hand also has a good recap of where we left off at the end of Feast for Crows.

Posted July 11, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Hollyoak, you are a good and loyal subject. ;)

But actually we have quite a few readers who have already finished the book, either because they got an early review copy or because they were one of the Lucky 180. Plus there are many folks who are receiving the book today and if they are fast readers might have the book finished by tomorrow. So I suspect the speculation and discussion will begin in earnest as soon as I publish the post.

16. Hollyoak
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming:
    Hollyoak, you are a good and loyal subject. ;)

Wow. Can’t wait to read.

I’ll have to stay away from that thread, though. I am re-watching the first season right now. It is so nice to sit back and soak in all the small details: the clothing, the subtle musical cues, the art and objects on desks and walls. Just so spectacular.

17. Tim H
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I hope Sky Atlantic contniue with the next-day-from-US airings for season 2 and beyond. This is no-doubt instrumental in disuading people from downloading the show, long may it continue.

18. theGodfarmer
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Canal+ here in Norway say they do not have any numbers on how many that tune in each week on the different shows. But they have said that they are VERY pleased with the response that they have gotten about the series.

They are now starting to air “re-runs” of GoT in HD here, and even the “re-runs” they air in prime time on Saturdays at 20.00

And the “state-channel” (in lack of a better word….) NRK will air the series next year. So it is GoT fever here in Norway :)

19. sjwenings
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

theGodfarmer,

Sounds… pretty good. I can’t really say that “we’re very pleased” says much. I would think they’d say that about all their shows. And i’m not sure how i would intrerpret the prime time reairing in the summer. Is this unusual in any way? They do have several channels, so i think this might just be the normal procedure, since they’re gonna air it in HD this time.

Lovely that NRK is gonna air it, though. Literally everyone that owns a TV in Norway has NRK. It’s our most watched channel here.

20. Steve Coulson
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Right now my biggest worry for tomorrow is not to “finish it first” but to “make it last”.

21. Ollie
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Steve Coulson,

That will be my problem also, waiting for 5 years, power though in 1 night. I cant do that i have to have the will power to put it down.

22. Who Is Jacopo Belbo?
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

my book is “in transit” …. do i play hooky from work tomorrow? or do i act responsibly knowing the book may not be delivered until later in the day?

dilemma, dilemma ….

23. Tim Russell
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Eirikur:

24. Mormegil
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Hoped Amazon would have dispatched ADWD already so I could get it on the 12th or soon after but it seems it’s not even being dispatched till the 13th.

May be tempted to pick up a copy elsewhere if I’m anywhere near a bookshop in the next couple of days.

I am trying to reread Feast before reading Dance though and as I am only a 1/4 of the way through maybe the extra days will give me time to finish it.

25. Targ Loyalist
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

I think the 11-year wait is actually an accurate statement, although it was not clarified. That is, after all, the last we heard of Dany et al.

Your humor, however, is appreciated, if misplaced.

26. Chris77
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Just checked my delivery status, it is already in transit and I should get it tomorrow. Good thing that I have the late shift tomorrow. I can hopefully read the first few chapters and then power read through the night:). I hope that audible.de will have the audiobook tomorrow as well. I am getting the book, audio and Kindle. Loads of money for George to spend on the Blackwater;)

27. Eirikur
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Tim Russell: Wow, Amazon must’ve screwed up and sent you a really early copy of A Feast for Crows.

No, I’m actually a dog and have only waited just over a year and a half in “human years” for DwD…

Of course I meant the 11 year wait for new stuff with Tyrion, Jon and Dany.

28. Alwyn Joseph
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Mormegil,

Amazon UK has, I will be receiving my book at around 1.30 pm tomorrow.
    Well atleast for me and a few other customers on the forum.

29. Who Is Jacopo Belbo?
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Mormegil:

i was a sucker and paid for some extra special delivery so i am getting mine tomorrow. let’s hope it was worth the extra $12 ….

30. Two Feathers
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

My Amazon uk status say`s delivery Oct 2- 4th.!!! Anyone else in the uk have this problem with Amazon???

31. The DarkStar
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Anyone know if it will be available in digital form online @ midnight?

32. paulgude
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

I ordered mine from the university bookstore. It was full price, and I may not get it until Wednesday, but it was necessary to get the university-sponsored GRRM appearance.

I’m being as patient as I can be.

33. Liesie
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

I won’t get my hands on this (hopefully(?)) wonderful book until thursday. I really hope they’ll sell it at on of our local bookstores by then and if not, then I’ll happily travel to any town that does have it :)

34. Knurk
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Liesie,

where do you live? I’m so fed up with the Utrecht bookstores I’m on the train to Amsterdam, at least Waterstones and ABCBookstores have the guarantee that they have it tomorrow.

35. andrea
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Knurk:

I was trying to find some information here in Argentina or Latin America … but it seems that nobody cares about numbers and ratings. HBO Argentina says: NADA.
    I know this though: very few people pays HBO around here. Cable or satellite tv are very expensive and I suspect that many people saw GoT online because of that. I´ll keep looking, maybe someone answers.

36. andrea
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Two Feathers:

my amazon Argentina status say´s : Delivery Aug 5-25 (pre-order jun 30) so…geography says that you´ll receive the book before I do. Pure logic but you never know.

37. Two Feathers
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

andrea,

I have emailed them to find out.Must just be a mistake. If not I will get one somewhere else pretty damn quick. Hope you don`t have to wait either.

38. Knurk
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

andrea,

have your neurons grown back?

I’ll say it again to you: expect the book sooner, Amazon US international shipping estimates are worthless. Of course I don’t know how the postal system in Argentina works, but when Us-Europe shipping takes 10 days I can’t believe it’ll take much longer than that for South America . Then again: you’ve only been anticipating this book for a couple of weeks so you don’t care, I’m sooooo jealous of you enjoying this story for the first time. By the way, nice call noticing that we beat you with (field) hockey last week, I get the feeling us two countries are the only ones taking this sport seriously.

39. Bro
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

I’m gonna have to do things the old fashioned way and go to a book shop. Unfortunately I don’t live near one so maybe an impromptu trip will be warrented tomorrow!
    On the actual thread: nice graph HmR! Um, that’s all I got.

40. andrea
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Knurk,
    my neurons are stubborn and are all back… no matter what scientist say.
    I believe you, I believe you!!! just don´t trust Argentina postal system so much. We´ll see. I´ll be pretty happy to get the book when it comes. It´s ok, I have a lot to read while waiting and I heal once for all.
    Yes, it is femenine field hockey and I love it, t´s a great sport that requires as much skill as football…
    and remember that WE´re still world champions!!!

41. Dale Rippke
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

On Sunday I got notification from Amazon US that my copy had shipped. I only live three hundred miles from the distribution center, so I should have it tomorrow, Wednesday at the latest. Can’t wait!

42. Mormegil
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Brief appearance of Conan Stevens in the lastest Hobbit Video blog (at 3:25).

43. Knurk
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

andrea,

ok, I won’t trust the Argentina postal system (maybe Maxima can send a few dutch postmen to your country?). You’ll be worldchamps all you want, I hope to see you around here next year when London calls!

44. obsidian
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

I won’t be able to start in til after 3 tomorrow..I have an appointment I can’t get out of.

But.. I seem to be the designated picker -upper for my family..so I may be in my appointment with 3 copies burning a hole in my book bag and keeping me totally distracted. How crazy will I look if anyone asks what’s in the bag..

45. Two Feathers
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Mormegil,

Thanks for the link. Very interesting …..Love New Zealand.

46. andrea
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Two Feathers:
    andrea,

I must wait …maybe not much … but if so, it´s ok.
    You´re gonna get it, don´t worry.

47. andrea
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Knurk:
    andrea,

I´m sorry about Maxima… is not a good loan I think.
    I´ll be fine Knurk, i´m a bit anxious but I can wait.

London you say? You bring Ms Paume to London… and we took Luciana “the best” Aymar to you, then we´ll see…

48. dizzy_34
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

Headed to the bookstore at lunch tommorow (no midnight selling around me). Can’t wait. Lunch at the desk and ADWD Prologue.

49. Cyryl
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

An Indigo bookstore nearby is opening early at eight AM. You can bet your ass I’ll be there at opening time. I’m going to attempt to read it in a day… of course after I do I’ll collapse and sleep for another whole day. Then read it again, actually taking my time. ^_^

BTW, I’m so happy about how many different nationalities of people come here, all connected by ASOIAF. Any canucks? Canadians?

50. Ser Lemon Cakes
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Bringing this over from TVWOP where the posters there found this:

@CliveStanden Just heard some massive casting news for season 2 of GOT’s…3 amazing actors (one Camelot alumnus) great choices

ETA: Oops Beth beat me too it in the other thread. For Aussies, there is stuff up in ADWD deliveries. Not in stores till after 4pm.

eta: …Actually 2 Camelot alumni…but only one from our show

(Clive was on the Starz Camelot).

51. Isenriver
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

I’m getting Dance via Amazon in ebook format, so I hope that means I’ll get it instantaneously. It’s already the 12th in Australia, though I figured I’d be waiting for the US to catch up, hopefully they send it out straight after midnight. We are still waiting for the TV show to start on the 17th, I’ve seen a few promos and from what everyone says on this site it’s going to be awesome.

52. DavosFTW!
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

Mine just arrived in Australia. Finally after waiting ten years, I’ll have more Davos.

53. TastesLikeTheSea
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

Cyryl I’m from Montreal and will be at the downtown Indigo early tomorrow morning too :).

54. The DarkStar
    Posted July 12, 2011 at 12:07 am | Permalink

ADWD is available for download now on ibooks!!!

55. Cyryl
    Posted July 12, 2011 at 12:41 am | Permalink

TastesLikeTheSea,

Oooh, I love Montreal, beautiful city. :)

56. Shock Me
    Posted July 12, 2011 at 8:08 am | Permalink

The DarkStar: ADWD is available for download now on ibooks!!!

Woke up with my iBooks pre-order already loaded on my iPad! Read a few hundred pages on the treadmill this AM. I’m at work now but sneaking in a page or two between tasks. Is it lunch time yet?