New interview reveals season two details
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming, Press, Speculation.

Access Hollywood must have access to some truth serum, as well as Hollywood. The stars of Game of Thrones have so far remained mum on any season two details during their visit to Comic-Con, but once AH got a hold of them, in this interview, the secrets spilled out.

Kit Harington at Comic-ConMost notable among them was this quote from Kit Harington, which seems to confirm that Iceland will be used as a filming location for season two (something we first reported on back in December).

Kit Harington, who plays Jon Snow, said his character would continue to brave extreme weather conditions while shooting.

“It was cold last season, but this season we’re going to Iceland,” he said. “It’s going to be freezing, so that’s going to be a bit of a task…it’s pretty grueling stuff for Jon Snow.”

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau at Comic-ConAlso interesting was this quote from Nikolaj Coster-Waldau:

Nikolaj told Access that fans should expect some exciting changes that will differ from the best-selling George R. R. Martin novels.

“I heard they were going to add new characters, but I didn’t know what that meant,” he explained. “I know now. And it’s very cool.”

The last interesting bit of info was from writers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, who stated that “some plot details from Martin’s third novel, “A Storm of Swords,” will be used in Season 2.”

Winter is Coming: So Iceland sounds like it is in. And it sounds like it is going to be used for the lands north of the Wall. And new characters? Very cool? Color me intrigued. As far as that last bit, some of our regular readers might know offhand what I think it could be…

UPDATE: Access Hollywood has posted the actual videos of the interviews now… and watching the Nikolaj Coster-Waldau one you can tell that he isn’t talking about wholly new characters in the above quote, but ones already in the book but new to viewers in season two (Stannis, Davos, Brienne, etc.). And here is the interview with Kit, which includes Emilia Clarke, as well.

1. David
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

First?

2. David
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

Oh and Red Wedding in Season 2?

3. Jose
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

It makes sense to have Jaime escape midseason with the handcutting in the finale.

4. McSherrie
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

Has Nikolaj been practicing using his left hand, do you think??? ;)

Posted July 22, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Be sure to tag your spoilers everyone.

6. Scott123
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

I don’t think they”ll go as far as The Red Wedding, but Davos, Stannis, Melisandre-ya you betcha! Wouldn’t mind seeing Ygritte too….:-)

7. Myra
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

I bet it will just be the beginning of the second book with Jaime’s escape and maybe a little bit of the rebels in the Riverlands. Maybe the season will end with the battle at the Fist. That would be AMAZING.

8. paulgude
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

Jamie/Brienne in Season Two works for me.

I’m really curious about the new characters. I personally love it when the show departs from the books. I like being surprised.

9. Jose
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

paulgude,

Like GRRM says, he knows the destinations for all his characters and creates the journey as he writes.

I’m fine with the show changing the journey as long as they get to where they need to be.

10. Zitah
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

I think it’s pretty impossible to get to the Red Wedding on the 2nd season. But totally agree about ending the season with battle of the Fist. Makes sense to show Jaime’s escape too, since we hardly see him on ACoK.
    Also I think they will end Dany’s story with the fall of Astapor. As much as I love the house of the Undying bit, the Astapor mess is a much better cliffhanger for a 3rd season. Not a lot of stuff happens with Dany in the 2nd book, so I’m pretty sure it’s possible to extend it a bit

11. Avalanche3319
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

I trust in D&D, but I’m kind of “meh” on new characters. We already have so many great characters, some of which are possibly being cut (blackfish.) Why add new ones? As long as it helps further the plot I’m ok with it though, just for the love of God no more Ros like characters…

12. Michelle
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

I’m all for moving up Jaime’s escape from Riverrun. More Jaime/Brienne time would make me VERY happy!

13. Shadowcat85
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

Really curious with who they cast as Ygritte.

14. paulgude
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

Avalanche3319,

I like Ros. You don’t like Ros. Still, I think we can agree that the series only needs one.

That said, I have the feeling that if you view any of these new character in terms of things that were cut to make room for their scenes, you’ll end up with heartache. Something from the book is always going to be left out. It’s the nature of the beast. Therefore, nothing new is going to be accepted if you worry about what it’s displaced.

15. Qthulhu
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Good news for the Icelandic economy no doubt. Anyone know what the Icelandic is for “Open Casting”??

16. Avalanche3319
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

paulgude,

I don’t mind things that are new, some of the best scenes from the first season were new scenes: Tywins introduction, Robert talking war stories, Ned’s heart to heart with Jon, Drogos fight, I could go on and on. I dont like things being added for the sake of “edgyness” (the Renly/Loras scene or the Littlefinger brothel scene.) And as far as characters go I just feel the story already has so many great characters it doesnt make a lot of sense to add more. But as I said I’m willing to wait and see and trust D&D. If it adds to the story in a faithful way I’m all for it. I love seeing “deleted scenes” from the books.

17. paulgude
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Avalanche3319,

I don’t think many have problems with the “deleted scenes” that fit with the book. I was specifically addressing scenes containing added characters, however.

The new scenes with established characters are easy to digest because they’re all things that are plausible in relation to the book. New characters, however, are seen to displace GRRM’s characters by some. One can’t integrate them well with the book narrative, which then serves to split the continuity between books and show slightly.

Granted, this will split even more as time goes on. Hopefully the process is gradual enough to not be too jarring.

18. paulgude
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

Oh, you know, I don’t think anyone minded KLB. He was new, right?

19. Avalanche3319
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

paulgude,

I see what you’re saying. Were there any new characters in season one besides Ros? I’m having trouble thinking of any. Maybe the infamous “Kings Landing butler.” I guess I don’t mind the idea of new characters as long as they serve a purpose that is faithful to the story. Ros seemed to have no other purpose than to be naked while other characters rambled.

Edit: you beat me to it about the KLB

20. paulgude
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Avalanche3319,

Yeah, I think he had much more of a “background” role, and therefore didn’t cause any real “continuity ripples,” whereas Ros touched Jon, Theon, Pycelle, Tyrion, and Littlefinger either on-screen or by anecdote. It felt like she was deliberately given prominence whereas KLB was just simply, “there.”

21. userj
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

re: Jaime and “new characters”! I really don’t know what to think! I suppose that they could show the people that help him escape? I’m not sure I’d call them “characters” though. Hmm… maybe there will be someone else in prison for Jaime to talk to? Better than talking to himself I guess? :D

re: Dany: The fall of Astapor would be really expensive – and would seem sort of odd to have another battle climax after Blackwater… plus there’s a lot of build up to it. Makes more sense as a season 3 finale, along side The Red Wedding (I’m now assuming based on the Comic Con interviews that Season 3 will be nearly 2 seasons).

I suggest instead that since they’ve declared this “the season of love,” they will end with Dany’s first chapter from aSoS on the way to Astapor where Jorah kisses her…

22. KG
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

With as many characters as the books have, it is inevitable that some “composite” characters are created. They do it in “based on real life” stories, too.

23. paulgude
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

userj,

Userj, I think you might have nailed it.

It makes sense that NCW would be the one to know about them, and the escape attempt as described IS “very cool.” It wouldn’t necessarily make them “new” characters, but fleshed-out characters that were only vaguely referenced before.

I hope that’s what it is.

24. Brandon Stark
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

I’m glad they’ll be moving some of ASOS up and re-working the story a bit here and there. I don’t think ACOK will translate as well to screen as AGOT because some of the story arcs are seriously lacking (though not ADWD lacking!) Jaime and Dany in particular need more engaging material. And I would assume non-POV Robb gets more airtime than he did words. I’m all for it.

25. Critical Geek
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

Renly/Loras scene wasn’t there to be edgy. It was there to sledgehammer home to the slower viewers/readers something that was only hinted at in the books. That’s actually a common theme. Things that are mysteries that you have to figure out from the book are obvious in the series (Renly/Loras, Varys/Illyrio/Arya dragonskull scene), while the things that are difficult to express in the series are clearly expressed in the book (internal thoughts).

Predictions: The new characters are the mummer’s crew and their quest to free jaime. Clearly they don’t succeed.

26. Sam DeGree
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

Could “Yara Greyjoy” be one of these new characters?

27. obsidian
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

paulgude,

Yes, NCW’s comments made me think of the “escape artists” sent by Tyrion. They can hardly be called characters in the book. And if ( as they must ) expand on Robb’s adventures with the Westerlings, there could be new characters there, too

28. GrandmaFunk
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

i don’t think they’ll move up to much of jaime/brienne stuff into season 2 unless they really alter the timeline.. she needs to be with renly up to his death which i’m guesstimating will be the end of episode 6.

29. paulgude
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 12:04 am | Permalink

obsidian,

If you can edit your post, you may want to black that out.

But I totally agree. Hope so.

30. Ashavan
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 12:10 am | Permalink

It always seemed to me to be a no-brainer that the series would show more of Jaime’s escape attempt from Riverrun than the book does. It’s low-budget, it gives NCW more desperately needed screen time, it also features Tyrion very nicely, and it’s a really cool “assemble a team”-style caper that’s very hot nowadays. I’m surprised GRRM isn’t kicking himself for glossing over it in the book.

31. John
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 12:51 am | Permalink

Iceland seems a strange location for beyond the wall. Isn’t Iceland more green and Greenland the more icy place? All the pics I see show Greenland looking like Antartica while Iceland looks like Ireland. I thought the area beyond the Wall would be more like Alaska in winter with lots of 100 year old trees and 5 feet of snow.

32. Moe
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 1:09 am | Permalink

I really need to stop highlighting spoilers, it’s not doing me any good at all! Fortunately it doesn’t really matter as I’ve already read the summaries of the 4 books in Wiki, and I remember the MAJOR spoilers. *facepalm*

Anyway I’m properly reading ASoS now. Keeping in mind GRRM’s note in the first few pages regarding the timeline, I think the directors will try to incorporate some of ASoS’ events in Season 2. To help hasten the pace of events perhaps?

Also what is Ros’ real purpose in the show? Is she becoming one of Littlefinger’s spies? When I first read GoT I kept waiting for her character to pop-up only to be disappointed.

33. obsidian
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 1:11 am | Permalink

paulgude,

Sorry, Guys ! I’ve been posting on the book thread, thus forgetting spoilers.

Maybe Mods can help ? Too late to edit ,now.

34. cass
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 1:23 am | Permalink

John,

There are some pretty desolate-looking places on Iceland; from what I hear from people who’ve been there, it’s only part of the island that’s all green and lush looking; other parts are lots and lots of bare rock. (Of course, it’s only the green part that gets shown on all the postcards….)

35. Icebird
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 1:51 am | Permalink

If there’s a solid basis for “new” characters I can be ok with it. But if it’s not somehow something at least referred to in the book it will likely piss me off.

I think Ros could be one of the whores in Chataya’s brothel… it’d save the trouble of introducing a new character for Tyrion to interact with.

Totally ok with scenes from book 3 in season 2. The battle on the Fist would be a great end. Though I think Astapor would be more fitting as an early season 3 episode. The drama of Dany selling Drogon would be a great hook for episode 1.

36. Sean Fan
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 2:32 am | Permalink

If it’s snow and ice you want to see then someone should have suggested filming in Svalbard, Norway. LOL! It’s located two hours south of the North Pole. Sean Bean did a film there, True North, with Michele Yeoh. This is the real thing! No CGI or a set……..

37. Jameson Lannister
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 2:32 am | Permalink

Ringing in on the Kit comment (In case he watches us and our various praising comments. ) I have one thing to say bout the Iceland thing……Use the cold Kit…..Use that f*uckin cold…..and deliver us a even more spectacular performance then you did in the first season….if that is even possible you magnificent bastard…(all puns intended)

38. Nathan Oliver
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 2:56 am | Permalink

If they show a lot of Robb’s campaign, there would be opportunities for new characters there.

39. Balerion
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 3:07 am | Permalink

New characters?? WTF!!
    I hope they don’t mean that they are making up new characters but just characters from the books.

40. Lisa
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 3:39 am | Permalink

John:

Well, Iceland has a lot of glaciers that they could use for the Frostfangs. What is maybe problematic is that Iceland has virtually no forest, except for Hallormsstadsskogur, that could be used for the Haunted Forest.

41. Lucas
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 3:49 am | Permalink

I liked the use of the word offhand in the article :P

42. Chris77
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 3:51 am | Permalink

The Kings Landing Butler was no new character, I just reread AGOT . He just is not named butler, but announcer or something like that, going to check that…

Edit: just checked on Kindle, the official title of the KBL is King’s Herald.

43. Strong Belwas
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 3:58 am | Permalink

I’m glad they’ve been faithful to the books so far, but reading aDwD drove home the fact that they’re going to have to make more and more changes from the text of the books as the show rolls along – much of aDwD is unfilmable, and much of what is filmable would be boring on film. The same is true to a lesser extent of much of the content from the earlier books. A lot of what happens in the second book is very internal. There are, of course, some incredible plot points, but those are mostly at the end of the book… ask yourself what you’re really looking forward to in Season 2 that would be in the first, say, 7 episodes. I can think of maybe two events.

Given that that’s the case, I can see D&D wanting to change things and punch things up. Add a few new characters and situations, tweak the timing of different plotlines, etc. The purists among us will howl, of course. But D&D have done well enough with adding new scenes so far that I feel comfortable letting them have a little more creative freedom in the second season. I don’t mind having the series differ from the books – if I wanted to see the events exactly as they happen in the books, I’d just re-read the books while looking at a picture of Peter Dinklage.

…Actually, that sounds like a pretty good idea.

44. EdibleBrain
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 4:29 am | Permalink

I would not be at all surprised to see new Ros- like characters appearing, there is simply too much exposition necessary in these stories to tie down all the major characters whose screen time can be maximised for use in their own individual stories. I think Ros may have been a little overused in season 1 but the principal of using new ancillary characters for that kind of information delivery is sound. The alternative is to seriously bog down the main characters narratives in a format where many are already overburdened with more exciting developments. Although the Blackfish has been a fan favourite his addition would merely add a) Another named, important character for TV fans to familiarise and identify with and b) Another supporting actor to the cast who has to be paid and kept available potentially for the run of the show. Adding less important TV- written characters frees up budget and makes logistics easier to deal with.
    Battlestar Galactica did this particularly well with background characters who came and went and added much to the story and brought recognisable faces to the audience but could be easily replaced if an actor was not available.

45. Nick Larter
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 4:44 am | Permalink

I bet the new characters will be the mummer, murderer, poisoner and thief

46. Morlun
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 5:00 am | Permalink

Am I the only one who’s thinking he meant Stannis, Mel, Davos, Balon, Asha, Euron, Brienne, and whomever else makes the cut?

He didn’t read the books, I think, so “new” in his perspective is in terms of “new to the show.”

47. Gatzby
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 5:07 am | Permalink

I think that NCW’s beard and grown out hair are cool. Is he going to shave his hair later?

48. Schlafmohn
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 5:15 am | Permalink

Morlun,

yeah, I thought so , too.
    And if by ‘changes to the story’ they mean changing the timeline and when what scene takes place in comparison to the books. I’m more than fine with it. Brienne and Jaime earlier than in the books and Robb’ offscreen storyline made onscreen would be really cool. :-)

49. Saithkar
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 5:49 am | Permalink

Looking at the timing, even if Renly’s death does happen in say episode 6, there’s plenty of room to put Jaime and Brienne’s escape in, say in episodes 9 and 10, with Jaime losing his arm one of the dramatic climaxes. Robb too will obviously have more to do but again they can’t show him winning too many of his battles because of the cash thing, but possibly they could introduce Jenyne Westerling who is already well aquainted with Robb before they get back to Riverrun to find Catelyn has let Jaime escape.

Keeping the spoilers flowing, as mentioned above with the reveals of Illyrio and Varys’ plotting in the room with the dragon skulls, it will be impossible for Ser Barristen Selmy to rock up in the hypothetical season 3 as Whitebeard without everyone knowing who he is, so perhaps his return could be tacked on to Daenerys’ arc in season 2 as a climax. You would lose the dramatic reveal, but since we’re not restricted to a POV of someone who’s never met him then that scene wouldn’t work on screen anyway, as dramatic as it was in the books.

Just a few thoughts on what D&D could do but I’m sure they’ll surprise and delight us once again.

50. Caedes
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 5:51 am | Permalink

Morlun,

Reading the transcript, I would say no, but after seeing the interview on westeros.org, I think you’re right. I think NCW does mean Stannis, Brienne, Melisandre and such as teh “new” characters.

51. loco73
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 6:21 am | Permalink

I liked Esme Bianco’s character, and felt she was a good addition to the show. She took a character that was not in the books and made it her own. She wasn’t just a dumb bimbo prancing on the screen naked. For the life of me I cannot understand why some have such a problem with nudity and sexuality, but have no problem with people getting tortured, hacked, decapitated, stabbed etc.

In a show like this sex and violence go hand-in-hand, and I’ve never felt that ANY scenes were gratuitous including the Renly scene, Littlefinger’s brothel scene etc. In the world of “A Song Of Ice And Fire” “turn the other cheek” and “thou shall not covet thy neighbour’s wife” does not apply…If you feel so guilty then go to confession or Sunday mass after each episode airs…

Otherwise I hope D&D, HBO, cast and crew and Martin himself keep up the pace, because if the day arrives when this show compromises, censors itself or pulls back…that will be its demise!

52. Amaranth
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 6:34 am | Permalink

In my opinion, most of the Storm of Swords content would probably be for Dany. She only has three PoV chapters in Clash of Kings, one of them being the not-so-great trip through the warlock’s funhouse.

Dany’s acquisition of the Unsullied would make for an excellent season finale, or at least a finale to her POV chapters.

I also think the creation of new characters (or combination of multiple characters into a single new creation) might just be necessary.

So much of the books’ exposition is handled through the POV character’s memories and little flashbacks, the only way to handle that is to give them someone to talk to.

53. sjwenings
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 6:54 am | Permalink

Saithkar: Without wishing to be a killjoy, there’s little point in suggesting new and exciting battle scenes to be included in season 2. I’m sure that whatever truncated version of the Battle of Blackwater they show will more than blow the battle budget. We all wish they had Lord of the Rings money but no matter how good GoT is, it’s still TV and made on TV money.

Do they need that big a budget for these, though? Fist of the first men could be reduced to a rather small battle where they hit one smaller camp out of many. They don’t need hundreds of whights attacking. And Daenerys’ “purchase” of the Unsullied – we can just show the start, focusing mostly on her, the dragons an the slavetraders, with Drogon burning a face or two and Dany being all “Attaaaack!!” And it can end there. – cut to the Blackwaterbattle, perhaps. Then show the aftermath.

54. Saithkar
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 7:21 am | Permalink

sjwenings,

I’d like to think that’s possible, but from what GRRM has hinted at on his LiveJournal it seems that they’ll be pushing the boat out a long way just to get the battle of Blackwater looking decent. Also even if HBO increases the budget per episode, D&D will still have to weigh up paying yet more extras and stuntmen against the increased use of locations and the larger cast the ACoK contains.

Again, I don’t want to pour cold water on the issue as I want to see the show be as epic as the books, but you may find the first bit of this episode interesting where Charlie Brooker shows just how much money TV really costs to make: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXOPIbb8ZjA

55. taisie22
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 7:49 am | Permalink

Morlun,
    I read the comment the same way.

56. Kalasin
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 7:51 am | Permalink

I saw the whole interview with Kit, the interviewer asked him if we’d see a love story for him this season, in the context of them moving things around in the books, and he got all coy and said we might as if it were true. Now, I don’t know if he heard her saying what she said about moving things around in the books, so he may have just been talking about the beginnings in book 2, but it sounds like tentative confirmation that his story won’t end with the Quorin fight and Ygritte from book 3 is being moved up. Anyone else read it that way?

To the extent he even knows, which he might not.

57. tysnow
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 7:56 am | Permalink

58. Chris Beasley
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 8:16 am | Permalink

I worry that they change too much. Already we know they will be showing more of Robb than in the books to include his falling in love with the Westerling girl, D&D said this will be the season of the love story so they already have that to add, in only 10 episodes, and there is so much else to cover. Think of everything Arya has to do, Tyrion too. I worry they are getting too attached to actors. GRRM in the books was able to sideline characters, Jaime being the other one this book, for huge swaths to keep the story moving along. They seem to be less willing to do that on the TV show. I just hope they don’t invent “busy-work” to keep the actors busy and on screen, I think it would detract from the narrative.

59. userj
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 8:19 am | Permalink

Amaranth:

Actually Dany has 5 acok chapters. (1) includes a ton of action: Red Waste, Ruined City, Jorah’s story of his wife, Riders going out and finally returning with envoys from Qarth, then 2 short chapters in Qarth (arrival and introductions (2) and negotiations with the Qartheen for ships(3)). Then the house of the Undying(4), and finally Barristan saves her from an assassin, and brings her ships from Illyrio(5).

Dracarys! (Unsullied acquisition) Does not occur until Danys’ third aSoS chapter which is more than halfway through the third book. IMO it would be a shame to try to move things that quickly. All her chapters in aSoS are packed, though, so I’d probably move the first one up.

60. sjwenings
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 8:32 am | Permalink

Saithkar: The First of the First Men involves all the rangers we saw riding out at the end of episode 10 and Daenerys buys thousands of Unsullied, so the cost for extras alone to stage either would I’m sure be huge. Also they’ll need to be animating Daenerys’ dragons in every episode she’s in which will represent yet more money.

You seem to think there is only one way to do it, and thats doing it exactly like in the books.

You also seem to not have read what i said. Let me repeat it for you: Like i said – The fist of the first men could be done with a smaller group of people. How many even struck out from the wall – not in the books, in the tv-show – and do they ALL need to be in the camp that gets attacked? Obviously not. As i said – before the attack, they could split up, and the smaller group at the Fist could get attacked – and the others, for that matter, we need not see it. As simple as that. The argument against Dany is slightly stronger, though, but again, it need not cost that much, because it need not be exactly like in the books.

61. sjwenings
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 8:34 am | Permalink

tysnow: I don’t believe they will include the Battle at the Fist of the First Men in season two, but they will close the Night Watch thread in season two with the three blasts of the horn. I mean having those three blast and then showing the reactions of the brothers will be soooo perfect. Have some piss in their trousers, others vomit, then show Sam or The Old Bear (both), look off to the horizon, then their facial reactions to seeing………..you know what coming.

Thats a pretty good idea! This – at the very least – is doable.

Blue eyes glinting appearing through a snowstorm, perhaps.

62. Shinyteapot
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Interesting! I hope the new characters are those involved in Jaime’s failed escape attempt, and Robb’s travels rather than anything else.

It’s interesting that a lot of people say we don’t need more characters like Ros. I did find her ubiquity annoying by the end- and that’s rather the point. I can well believe that Tyrion and Theon end up visiting the same whore in Winterfell. But that she then becomes a ‘favourite whore’ in the south too, hearing both Littlefinger and Pycelle talking about plot-relevant things, is too much of a stretch for me. So if we need to have scenes of ‘character visits whore’ next series, and I can’t imagine we’ll be entirely without them, I’d find it more believable if they went to different girls.

Just, please, let’s not have Ros deciding ‘Done King’s Landing (literally), I want to visit the Iron Islands/the West/Dragonstone…’

Glad some of ASOS will be moved up- it will make for better drama, and maybe help with the difficulty of a ultra-packed series 3 (or needing two series there).

As regards Arstan Whitebeard, having read ADWD- WARNING ADWD SPOILER- I’m rather disappointed we didn’t see Barristan’s escape from King’s Landing as he describes it there- didn’t D&D get to read Dance before the rest of us? That should have been in! Maybe that could come at the beginning of series 2? So we won’t get the surprise reveal, but we will see Barristan being badass. I’d like that.

63. Delta1212
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 8:50 am | Permalink

userj:
    re: Jaime and “new characters”!I really don’t know what to think!I suppose that they could show the people that help him escape?I’m not sure I’d call them “characters” though.Hmm… maybe there will be someone else in prison for Jaime to talk to?Better than talking to himself I guess?:D

re: Dany: The fall of Astapor would be really expensive – and would seem sort of odd to have another battle climax after Blackwater…plus there’s a lot of build up to it.Makes more sense as a season 3 finale, along side The Red Wedding (I’m now assuming based on the Comic Con interviews that Season 3 will be nearly 2 seasons).

I’m actually hoping the Red Wedding will be the penultimate episode, and they can use Joff’s in the finale to give the audience some catharsis. It would also be a better finale from the perspective of how they handled Season 1′s, simply because Joffrey’s death sets up most of the plotlines that would be continued in the next season (Tyrion’s trial, Sansa traveling to the Eyrie with Littlefinger, etc), whereas the Red Wedding is really a climax of previous events.

64. Shinyteapot
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 8:56 am | Permalink

tysnow,
    sjwenings,

I like that, proper cliffhanger without needing too much budget. Could be very strong on screen.

People will be screaming about leaving it there- which is exactly as it should be :) And it means we almost certainly go into episode 1 of an as-yet-hypothetical series 3 with a bang.

65. Saithkar
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 9:04 am | Permalink

sjwenings,

I did read what you said, just disagreed with it, try and be civil in future.

Many of us did not find the cheapo/compromise non-battle with Tyrion and the mountain clans satisfactory, if you’re going to do something then do it properly, otherwise it’s better happening off-screen. D & D mentioned that they weren’t entirely happy with the way the tourney turned out so my guess is they’ll focus mostly on the human drama and keep the action managable and restricted.

66. Talon Lannister
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 9:17 am | Permalink

John,

Most of Iceland looks like the moon, black basalt and volcanic formations. Lots of glaciers and glacially carved terrain. Pretty spectacular, actually. But Lisa is right, there aren’t any large forests. Most of the “green” is from tundra fields. Its advantages are proximity to Europe, a good infrastructure to support filming and the cast and crew, and a friendly populace. I love Iceland, it’s one of my favorite stops when crossing the Atlantic. I miss the days of pulling search and rescue support alert there, too, the flying around the island was spectacular. It’s going to look great on TV!

As far as Greenland goes, yes, there is as much ice and snow as you would ever want, but there is no way it can support a major filming expedition. My cousin skiied across Greenland a couple of years ago, he has some shots of it on his website:

67. Franny Bee
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 9:20 am | Permalink

I don’t need big battles. I found the naval battle of the Blackwater boring – liked it only when Tyrion was out there, fighting tooth and nail for his life. I enjoyed the Queen/Sansa/ladies in Maegor’s (and the subtle threat of Ser Ilyn standing there) over the fight raging outside. Talk about tension! I read ASOIAF for the compelling human story. So long as that translates to the screen, I am happy.

68. gammaray
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 9:22 am | Permalink

userj,

Yes! You’re absolutely on to it there, and I agree that it will be a fantastic heist-style addition to the show (haha, and now I’m picturing an Ocean’s 11 type intro for each character, which is completely wrong for GoT, but I couldn’t help it). Now I’m wondering what other potentially cool scenes the books glossed over that might translate well to screen. Will have to re-read them and see.

Re: Kit in Iceland – so excited! The Beyond the Wall stuff is fantastic – some of my favourite bits from the books, and I can’t wait to see how D&D interpret it. And might we get to meet Dolorous Edd in Iceland? We can but hope.

Also, how lovely are these two guys. Their enthusiasm for the material is really endearing, and I think it shows in their performances – they’re both wonderful in their roles, just really engaging and compelling. How lucky are we with this cast, people?

69. sjwenings
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Saithkar: I did read what you said, just disagreed with it, try and be civil in future.

No – you did not understand/read it.

If you did, you would have commented on my idea of a smaller group instead of talking about how all the people traveling from the wall would be too many to film. Me pointing this out is not being “unsivil”, LOL!

And comparing my ideas of reducing the scope to season 1s approach of not showing any battle is just weird.

70. persephone88
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Regarding hair, if Dany got to keep her silver locks after the dragonpyre, I think NCW should be able to keep his shaggy look after Brienne rescues him. This has nothing to do with his hotness factor, of course, purely a sense of fairness. ;)

71. RahBur
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 9:44 am | Permalink

So excited with all this news :) enjoying taking my time with ADwD. Re: these “new characters” NCW us talking about, has he ever confirmed he has read the books? If not, any ” new characters ” in the show might be new additions to the story only from his perspective? New character he might be excited about = Brienne?

I wouldn’t blame him, if that’s the case :)

72. DaveB
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 9:46 am | Permalink

maybe by “new characters,” NCW just didn’t know what was coming, and he’s referring to Davos, Stannis, Melisandre, etc. ?

73. RahBur
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 9:49 am | Permalink

DaveB,

Exactly what I was thinking :)

74. Knurk
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 9:57 am | Permalink

RahBur,

DaveB,

yes, NCW specifically stated he hasn’t read book 2 yet, so we can safely assume those are the new characters (and hopefully he’s talking about a bunch of Tully’s too).

75. space pope
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 10:03 am | Permalink

well they did use some parts from books 2 and 3 in season 1, so i am not surprised.

also i think the ‘new’ characters are just characters from book 3 or who are in book 2 but don’t appear much set to appear more, like Jaime. i forget where i read it, but Dave and DB said specifically that Jaime will be more in Season 2 than he was in Clash, since obviously he was chained up below Riverrun the whole book, and had only one scene which they already used in season 1, and you can’t just have this major actor go away for an entire season. so they’re going to stray from the book and increase his role, i think that’s what they meant by ‘new’ characters.

76. Denis
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 10:56 am | Permalink

It is possible that the “new” characters are the CGIs . Direwolves and dragons will have more room.

77. Qthulhu
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Iceland also has a perfect Mole Town, haha.

78. Blackfish Blues
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Avalanche3319:
    [...]

Welcome to the Brotherhood Without Blackfish, also known as Bloody Blackfishies! (we’re still deciding on the name)

EdibleBrain:
    [...]

I’m very calm and relaxed and I’ll try not to whine… but I can’t help being snarky and notice you’re already talking of the Blackfish in the past tense. Alas.

But seriously, I don’t understand the difference between your a) and b) points and the idea of “adding less important TV- written characters”. Roz is by now both “a named, important character”, and a “supporting actor to the cast who has to be paid” etc. I think any TV-written character added to S2 would have the same, deserved recognition. So what’s the difference from using a character who is already in the novels?

Also, once again, we don’t know yet which characters are important in GRRM’s mind. I like the idea that Roz ends up as the main character at Chataya’s, that she will be the one beaten in place of Shae etc. If that’s the direction GRRM is taking, I’m fine with it. In the same way, we don’t know what he has in mind for the Red Wedding or the Siege of Riverrun. Someone has to get married, and there’s a character already present in the novels to do that. Someone has to defend the castle, same answer. We just don’t know how GRRM will tackle these scenes with D&D. Maybe in the end he wants to make a hero of the KLB!

And speaking of that certain siege,

userj:

Hmmm, who could talk to Jaime? How about inventing the character of an older warrior who Jaime idolized as a kid, and now discovers this warrior despises him, and there’s some angsty dialogue and later this same warrior is defending Riverrun and the roles are inverted and… oh, but wait, there ALREADY is such a character!

loco73:
    For the life of me I cannot understand why some have such a problem with nudity and sexuality, but have no problem with people getting tortured, hacked, decapitated,stabbed etc.
    [...]

I have a theory about this. Luckily, I think most of us don’t see people horribly dying on a daily basis, and I also think and hope that most of us agree without argument that violence is bad. On the other hand, sexuality exists in the lives of all of us, in infinite variations, often difficult, complex and even painful (I can’t count the times I’ve been molested on a crowded subway, and I fear some here are even familiar with rape, simply for a matter of statistics).

On the other hand, sex at its best is also an important, wonderful, mysterious thing, to be approached with respect. That’s why I loved the Loras/Renly scene until I thought Loras was just leaning his cheek on Renly’s thigh, no doubt implying hot sex later, and instead I got a stereophonic, crank-it-up-to-eleven BJ. For me that destroyed the atmosphere and ridiculized the wonderful relationship between them.

So I believe that sex is a complicated topic to be approached carefully. I understand that “carefully”, too, is subjective, but I also understand why people might have problems with it. I’m glad you brought it up because it’s always an interesting debate, but I’m sad that you had to end your argument with a patronizing and intolerant shot at those who have a different opinion.

79. paulgude
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 11:15 am | Permalink

A lot of people seem to be missing the sentence that came above the NCW quote:

———

——–

When taken in that context, we’re not talking about new characters from the novels that aren’t from season one.

The interpretation that the “new characters” are ASoS characters shifted to season two seems a bit more plausible, but to me it’s still a stretch from what the words seem to mean in context.

Also, I feel like term “characters” being used by an actor means someone played by an actor with whom other actors interact. And again, even if he is talking about giants, dragons, etc., those aren’t actually a departure from the novels.

Taken with the leading sentence, the quote seems to indicate they’ve added characters who don’t appear in the books.

80. swornsword
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Hopefully he means Davos, Mel, etc. Because seriously, wasn’t Ros bad enough?

81. Knurk
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 11:49 am | Permalink

paulgude,

yeah but they made that sentence themselves. If you watch the interview it really seems he’s talking about new characters for the show, who probably are from the books.

82. DaveB
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

RahBur,

Knurk,

Kinda skimmed so I didn’t see that you reached the same conclusion I did, but sooner. Apologies for the redundancy.

I’m all for changes in the show, though. Books and television are completely different animals. If they do choose to add a new character (or more likely, take a minor character with a recognizable name to the faithful and make them important), I’m for it, as long as they don’t make HUGE HUGE changes, such as keeping major characters alive who are supposed to die.

83. paulgude
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

Can you point me to a URL for the interview you’re referring to?

I’m only seeing the print version here:

84. paulgude
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

Specifically, I want to hear how he says he “didn’t know what that meant,” because to me that’s an odd statement if he’s just talking about known characters from the book being added as cast members. That seems pretty straightforward, not something he’d ponder.

85. Kit
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

paulgude,

Not Knurk, but I think he’s referring to this interview.

86. David
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Permalink
  87. paulgude
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Kit!

Knurk, I can see exactly what you’re talking about.

He starts out talking about how season one ended, and then talks about how he was blown away reading the first six scripts. It’s in THAT context that he says, that he heard they were going to add new characters and he didn’t know what that meant.

So I think I was completely wrong earlier. He does seem to be just talking about adding the new characters from book two to the ensemble.

Anyone who hasn’t should take a look at that interview.

88. HouseLark
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

I’ve had a thought for a while that future series would not follow the books as closely as some might have liked.

The reason for this is that I think AFFC will be a bit of a hard sell to HBO since it more or less ignores all the major characters that the audience will be invested in by then. My guess is that certain elements will be moved up and we will have one less TV series than we have books. So series 2 will be a mesh of ACOK and ASOS and series three will be a mesh of ASOS and AFFC. Might be way off the mark but I can’t see how AFFC will work commercially.

89. paulgude
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

HouseLark,

I think you’re right.

Since a lot of ADwD is concurrent with AFfC, I expect some consolidation to take place there, and we already have confirmation of story-lines moving around a bit. I expect that we’ll end up following the “stars” through their particular roles in the story. Not necessarily a negation of book events that don’t involve them, but a lessening of focus.

90. Mark
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Can’t really move up Jamie’s escape from Riverrun much at all. It needs to happen after the following events: Renly’s death, Winterfell’s fall, Catelyn getting word of Bran & Rickon’s ‘deaths’

91. andrea
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Blackfish Blues: Also, once again, we don’t know yet which characters are important in GRRM’s mind.

I can´t remember the first post I read about Brinden and the possibility that he had disappeared or died. I thought it was crazy. I mean why create a strong and imposing character and then throw him into the river and let him die?
    When I finished reading AFFC immediately I assumed that Brindenwould return later for something important. What I´m not sure, unfortunately, if the Blackfish will be on the show. Maybe D&D merge (?) him with another character (outrageous I know, but possible)… he´s such an epic character for a movie…it would be a waste, but hey, I can understand.
    Now… kill him in the books??? I find it very strange. For now (for me) he´s just a loose end but not someone who is lost or forgotten, let alone dead . Right? Right?
    I like Blackfish Whiners Band!!! or Brotherhood Without Blackfish or Bloody Blackfishies or Bloody Whiny Blackfishies. What I don´t know is how many we are to plunder here and there.
    For now I just go to plunder the refrigerator to make ravioli.

92. obsidian
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Mark,

I think we’re not talking about Jaime’s Catelyn assisted escape , but the failed escape orchestrated by Tyrion.

93. paulgude
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

obsidian,

That’s what I was talking about, at least. Still hopeful for it, even though I don’t think that’s what NCW is talking about in the interview any more.

94. Mark
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

obsidian, ah my bad.

That’s right; that failed attempt happens off-screen in the book right? While Catelyn was parleying with Renly? So sometime between episodes 4-6 sounds about right.

95. Dreamlife
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Very excited to see how they make use of the beautiful scenery of Iceland.

As for NCW’s comment, at first I thought by new character he meant characters not seen in season 1 (Brienne, Cleos, Vargo Hoat) but if he’s going to spend a couple episodes in captivity, then I imagine there will be some other prisoners, gaolers, etc. I’m very excited.

96. Keith
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Morlun,

My thoughts exactly. It was clear to me that he, and the other cast members, wouldn’t really be able to differentiate between a new character from the show and a new character in the books.

97. Tom Hilton
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Oooh, could they please move Joffrey’s death to Season 2? Like, the beginning of Season 2?

Pretty please?

98. DrSwordopolis
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Mark,

Since this is TV, and NCW is definitely one of the stars of the show (esp. now that we’ve lost 3 or 4), they’ll have to up Jaime’s screen time for season 2 significantly. He gets all of one scene in ACoK – and half of that one was moved up to season 1. The off-screen escape attempt is about the only other thing he does in the book, so I would be very surprised if we don’t see that. What else can we expect? Probably at least one conversation\interrogation with Edmure (Brynden?), maybe some stuff with gaolers.

Also, since his ending in ACoK is a big cliff-hanger (What does Catelyn want with Brienne’s sword? Is she going to kill him or torture him or let him go or what?), I wouldn’t be too surprised if they started his escape for real this time with Brienne and hopefully Cleos into episode 9 or so, giving Brienne plenty of time to get from Renly’s death tent to Riverrun… this timing makes sense given how much of ASoS happens before the ending of ACoK.

99. Qthulhu
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

I begin to wonder what TV show some people were watching for the past few months.

It’s not George’s show. Will that sink in for some people? It is not George’s show. They have already made significant departures from the plot that they’re going to have to correct in later seasons. They’re keeping George sweet, but as he’s said himself it is NOT his show.

To anyone who finds it difficult to focus on what’s happening onscreen, they put in a Maege-alike who never said one word (that makes you an extra) so why do you not think they’re capable of a Blackfish extra, or a Damphair extra?

As I said in an earlier post, the fact we’ve not seen a Blackfishalike yet is a good sign that he might be speaking line in S2, or at least turning up with Edmure if Edmure hoovers up everything Tully.

100. Daniel
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

The new character here might be Ser Barristan

Having the Jaime plotline in Clash of Kings instead of A storm of swords definitely makes sense. SoS is filled with thousands of events anyways, whereas Clash is not, so it needs those scenes.

But for people saying that the battle of the fist would be a perfect ending, I disagree. There is already a limited budget. The blackwater comes in episode 9, so why have the fist on episode 10? The scenes beyond the wall and Bran at winterfell will be perfect endings.

101. Tolgeros
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

When they say “new character(s),” does that mean characters from the books that haven’t yet been shown, like the Blackfish or Dolorous Edd or the Karstarks or the High Septon? Or do they mean brand new characters? If it’s the latter, that doesn’t really sit well with me… There are literally hundreds of characters in the books; do you really not have enough to pick from??? If they cut the Blackfish but add brand new characters and keep emphasizing non-important ones like Ros, I will seriously not be happy about that. I’ll still watch it and love it of course =P but I will complain.

102. Alan
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

I hate changes for the sake of changes. Adaptation, yes. Adding things so book readers “will be surprised”? What’s the point? Book readers aren’t watching to be surprised.

I hope I’m wrong, but I can see the slippery slope here to crapdom. Ros was an added character, and her scenes were generally the worst in the series. The series has 9,000 characters — why add more?

103. sjwenings
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Tolgeros: If they cut the Blackfish but add brand new characters and keep emphasizing non-important ones like Ros, I will seriously not be happy about that. I’ll still watch it and love it of course =P but I will complain.

The character of Ros was never about Ros anyway. It’s about sexposition. The alternative would be to just have a new whore for each sexposition scene. I don’t really see how that would be much better. A little less silly, but whatever.

Either way, i don’t mind Ros.

104. Bro
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Jameson Lannister:

Here here! I wholeheartedly agree.

105. paulgude
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Tolgeros,

From the lead-in sentence Access Hollywood wrote, I thought it was referring to brand new characters, but then Kit sent me this link to the whole interview:

In its full context, it really does seem like the “new characters” are indeed simply main characters from the book who were not in the main cast during the first season. I thought Knurk was crazy for thinking that, but after watching the interview I was convinced.

106. andrea
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

Tolgeros: I can see the slippery slope here to crapdom

Not only what Paulgude said to you but also this:
    NCW, before saying the phrase that worries you , said “for those who didn´t read the book” …referring to the amount of new characters in season 2.
    Oh the Blackfish… i´m so worry about him.

107. saluk
    Posted July 24, 2011 at 2:09 am | Permalink

Alan:
    I hate changes for the sake of changes.Adaptation, yes.Adding things so book readers “will be surprised”?What’s the point?Book readers aren’t watching to be surprised.

I hope I’m wrong, but I can see the slippery slope here to crapdom.Ros was an added character, and her scenes were generally the worst in the series.The series has 9,000 characters — why add more?

First, I think the actual interview makes it clear that Waldau, who hasn’t yet read Book 2, was unsure of how the STORY would be able to add more characters, and was interested in how the first 6 scripts of season 2 did that.

Secondly, if you aren’t watching an adaptation to be at least a little surprised, I don’t really understand the point of watching. If it fits the novel 100%, I really don’t see the point of the adaptation, because the novel which plays to the strengths of the way the story is structuted, will always be better. As long as devitations don’t deviate in spirit, a few deviations for deviations sake are fine with me.

I don’t think that Littlefinger and Varys’ little verbal spar was really there to do anything for the story or adaptation specifically, but it was a fun thing to show that the books never could. Those kind of deviations are pretty much just because they can, and I think they make the series stronger and give me more of a reason to watch as a book reader.

Ros is a misstep, but I think it is more because of how they wrote and handled her storyline than for the simple fact that it was a new character. I think she was mainly a ratings grab, but I could see some real uses for her going forward. They are certain to add more non book characters, we can only hope they will fit in a bit better.

Anyway, I AM watching to be at least a little surprised, I just hope that there are more good ones than bad ones, and that nothing goes against the grain.

My general feeling is season 2 will deviate from book 2 much more than season 1, but not enough to hurt the story. There is a big chance that by season 3, all of the little changes will have something of that butterfly effect and it will start to deviate in ways even the less hardcore readers will have trouble with. It could still end up a really good show by then though, but I doubt the ability for it to stay so close.

108. paulgude
    Posted July 24, 2011 at 3:03 am | Permalink

saluk,

I hope as the show continues the majority of viewers will see it more and more as its own thing and deviations from the books will continue to be forgiven. The rate of deviation and the rate of acceptance will hopefully complement each other.

I’d personally continue watching even if they spare a character who is supposed to die in the books, just like if they kill off someone who’s supposed to live. I’d watch even if a character who is supposed to be in one place during an event ends up being somewhere else entirely.

If they end up never doing that, so much the better.

109. Blackfish Blues
    Posted July 24, 2011 at 5:27 am | Permalink

andrea,
    that post might have been by me (gasp). I was in the post-traumatic Harry Potter phase where lots of people (incidentally my faves) die offscreen, and I have this theory that JKR lost control of the wonderfully complex world she had created, and started trimming here and there, and doing it badly. I was worried that GRRM, also “guilty” of world-creation of almost Tolkienesque proportions, would start doing the same, especially with AFFC and the rumours of characters already dead (Davos). And a minor character that was last seen swimming in a river would lend himself to a quick elimination off-stage. “Oh, did you hear about him? He was devoured by mutant frogs while trying to reach Greywater Watch. Such a pity.”

Instead, ADWD restored a bit of my faith in GRRM. Davos is alive and kicking ass, and the Blackfish appears to be still alive, though he’s not seen. GRRM will kill them all at the end, it is known, but I hope at least for a little life extention for my faves. AND a TV appearance…

Oh, and
    andrea,
    I’m trying to create a Blackfish fanlist, I think it’s the best way to gather the Bloody Whiny Blackfishies!

110. Jared
    Posted July 24, 2011 at 10:27 am | Permalink

My guesses on how D&D will handle the various Season 2 storylines:

Jaime: Since Jaime is absent for so much of ACOK, they will probably keep him in the picture by adding a few ‘interrogation’ scenes and using him as a sounding board for various characters –Catelyn, Robb, the Blackfish, maybe an invented prisoner. I agree with most people here that we will get to see Jaime’s escape attempt, as well as Catelyn releasing him and entrusting him to Brienne. Since Jaime’s maiming is a game-changing event that gradually sets him on a new path, it will likely happen in either the last episode of Season 2 (ending his arc on a cliffhanger) or in the first episode of Season 3.

Robb: Like Jaime, Robb is off-screen for pretty much the entirety of ACOK, so they’ll have to give him some new material to keep him relevant. My guess is that while we won’t actually get to see Robb engage in his battles, we will get several ‘strategy sessions’ with him and his captains in their tents, huddled over maps and summarizing their victories. We’ll also see him meet Jeyne Westerling and spend the night with her, although they may save the reveal of their wedding and the implications of Robb’s broken marriage contract with the Freys for Season 3. There’s no way that they make it all the way to the Red Wedding – that’s a climax for Season 3.

King’s Landing: With so many of the major players (Tyrion, Cersei, Joffery, Sansa, etc.) ensconced in King’s Landing, D&D will have no shortage of material to fill their episode quota. My guess is that they end up following the timeline and events of the novel almost exactly. I think GRRM said that the Battle of the Blackwater (which he’s writing) will be the penultimate episode, so they will probably end Season 2 exactly the way it ends in the book – with Tywin returning to reclaim the Handship from a gravely injured Tyrion, and Joffery setting Sansa aside to make the marriage contract with Margarey Tyrell.

Stannis: Same deal. The season ends with Stannis on Dragonstone, brooding on his defeat while Melisandre calls for sacrifices to wake the stone dragons. Davos may or may not be imprisoned, depending on if they want to keep the audience in suspense over his fate.

Bran/Theon: This is another story arc with a ready-made ending point. Bran’s supposedly getting a bigger role this year as they play up his warg dreams and the three-eyed crow. Theon’s attempt at conquest will end with the reveal of Ramsay Snow and the burning of Winterfell. The final image of the season will probably be exactly the same as it is in the book – Bran looking back at the smoking ruins of Winterfell as he starts his journey north to the Wall.

Arya: The climax of Arya’s story in the second book is the sack of Harrenhall that she sets into motion with help from Jaqen H’ghar, so that will probably happen in the 8th or 9th episode (assuming a 10-episode season). Her Season 2 will probably end either with her slipping away from Roose Bolton to go on the run again. Her encounter with the Brotherhood Without Banners will wait until Season 3.

Jon: Though Jon’s story is high on ambience and tension before he goes off ranging with Qhorin Halfhand, there isn’t as much action as in the other storylines, so maybe they’ll throw in an encounter or two with some wights to spice things up. His story in the book ends with him killing Qhorin to sell his false defection to the wildlings, which is a good cliffhanger, but I think there’s a small chance that they’ll let that be the penultimate episode ‘shocker’ and end his Season 2 arc with him meeting Mance Rayder. His romance with Ygritte will be hinted at, but not fully covered until season 3. I don’t think that they’ll show the Battle on the Fist of the First Men this year. My guess is that they leave the Old Bear and Sam with the prologue of ASOS and the three horn blasts signaling the arrival of the White Walkers. That way, they cut to the aftermath of the battle at the start of Season 3 and save money.

Dany: ACOK is fairly light on Dany, seeing as she only has five chapters in the entire book and the only big action she sees is her trip into the Houses of the Undying. On one hand, D&D might decide to keep her storyline minimized, because it will save them money animating the dragons – money that they can use for the Battle of the Blackwater. However, Dany’s one of the show’s breakout characters, so they’ll want to find something for her to do. I don’t think they’ll get as far as the sack of Astapor, but they might have turn her ships toward Slaver’s Bay. Since most everyone’s going to recognize Barristan when he turns up, I expect that they’ll simply acknowledge who he is and shift that scene/dialogue forward from ASOS, combining the two times he saves her from assassins into one. Some other event will serve to reveal Jorah’s spying on Dany in Season 3.

111. andrea
    Posted July 24, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Blackfish Blues: that post might have been by me (gasp)

and I called you crazy … I´m sorry.
    I don´t think GRRM will kill Blackfish. I mean, I know that he kill Ned and others already but it´s not the same.
    If GRRM cuts your head you die, no question about it, but if he throw a fish into a river… well… it is a fish after all, no? That gives me some comfort.
    I didn´t read ADwD yet so we´ll see.

112. Blackfish Blues
    Posted July 24, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

andrea,
    LOL, don’t worry, everybody calls me crazy and it’s true!

113. Cuchulain
    Posted July 24, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Too bad that there aren’t more changes. I was hoping for Larry David as Stannis and Richard Lewis as Roose Bolton.

114. Roger
    Posted July 25, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink

What about the Reeds? Bran and Hodor? how will they write them into season two?

115. Saxon17
    Posted July 25, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

What I want to know is how NCW has not read ACoK? I’m being critical, I just couldn’t stop. I watched the show and after the final episodes I ran to the book store an bought the first four. I’ve read them in a month. ADwD is next. Also some of my favorite scenes were add. Love the varys/ littlefinger scences, and the Jory/jamie scene early in the 5th episode.