Set photos: boats, castles and the Seven
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming, Speculation.

Mussenden Temple and the Seven

Photo by Amanda Killen

The first week of filming on Game of Thrones is drawing to a close. Right off the bat they have filmed a few pivotal scenes, including [mild spoilers] Robb interrogating Jaime and Melisandre’s burning of the Seven. [/mild spoilers]

By now, judging by all the emails I have received, most of you have seen the pics of the statues of the Seven on Downhill Beach. Of course, we were the first to tweet about them and also linked to them in our last filming post. But it seems more than a few people missed those mentions, so here again are links to two Flickr profiles (craftedfromtheheart and jackogillespie) with the pics that have made the rounds on the web these past couple days. We also included a new photo from craftedfromtheheart (above) that she didn’t post to her Flickr. Because that is how we roll.

But wait, that’s not all! Loyal WiCnet reader silverjaime has managed to snag some interesting set pics of her own. These were taken in a car port and show a fairly large set being built, including a full sized boat! Whether these are for the Iron Islands or the Blackwater is hard to say. Based on the fact that they are still in an early stage of construction, I would guess the latter.

And if you still doubt that we are the number one source for Game of Thrones production updates, we have included a very special WiCsclusive photo after the jump. Behold the burning of the Seven!

The burning of the Seven

This photo is courtesy of reader Jimbob and gives us our first (albeit tiny and slightly blurry) glimpse of Carice van Houten as the Red Priestess!

Winter Is Coming: Your move, rest of the internet.

Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Cooooooool!

2. HandmaidenofDany
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

That is awesomeness!

3. Angela
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Very nice! Yay, an exclusive! It’s so wonderful that we get to see these pics, thank you! It helps bide the time until next April…

4. purplejilly
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Oh Snap!!! That’s right, we’re the best! Way to go Silverjaime & Jimbob, great job supporting our bottoms!! wooohooo!
    That burning of the seven on the beach actually looks very dramatic. In the book it felt just so-so to me, but here it looks quite awesome!!

5. Cheri
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Awesome coverage! I am still such a newbie to the whole series, but ya’ll are my opening page for my internet and I check back at least 10times a day!! Love love love winter-is-coming.net!!!!

6. Jerelyn
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Hah, I love it…when you view that burning scene image in larger size, even though she’s tiny, Melisandre jumps right out. “Oh hai, I’m red”

7. Kate
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

I wonder why they are burning the seven in three grups. Are they discriminating the Stranger again?! :P

I’m sure it’ll be one of those scenes that look weird from outside and will be great on screen.

8. Johan Sporre
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

That burning looks awesome. I hope they fireproofed those statues.

I’m very intrigued about the half-built set. I love large wooden constructions.

9. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Wow! The burning of the Seven photo is so atmospheric, with the fading daylight and the surf. Very cool. I am just recharging after two night shoots at Saintfield,but I am a bit jealous of the guys at the beach shoot,it is going to look amazing in the show. As usual I can not reveal much information about the Saintfield shoot for contractual reasons.From info. already available you will know there is two sets, godswood and Stark camp with stockade.I didn`t see the godswood set,and I am sure you guys can work out what was going down in the camp. BTW I have seen an adult direwolf! ….No Shit ! Anyone concerned about the size or ferocity of these beasties can rest easy. The description George gives in the books IS accurate!

10. Knurk
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

11. sjwenings
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Nice waves! Hoping to hear them in the scene. (Edit: I guess we can assume to be hearing them, but I hope they make them pretty dominant.) Should add to the drama. It’s important to show Mel as dangerous, and this should be a great scene to drive that point home. Seems they went with a really strong, red color for her. Good – she should seem a little out of place.

12. Jay
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Great photos. :D

Though, why are the Seven all separate? Makes sense if it’s because the fire ruins the shot, but their layout still seems a little odd to me.

13. Knurk
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Lord Two Feathers,

you sir, have just made my day!

Edit: how in the heck did you see one, were they using a animatronic (??) puppet or something?

Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Johan Sporre: That burning looks awesome. I hope they fireproofed those statues.

15. Oi!
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Those foot soldiers look Norman-ish

16. Niall O'Donnell
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

If anyone would like to see the video I got of the burning of the statues, here is a link from Downhill beach yesterday:

I was quite far away, enjoy anyway and leave a comment/like!

17. dizzy_34
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Nice reports all around people. Is that Harrenhall in Silverjaime’s pics? Could be anything I guess, but still looked awesome through all the scafolding.

18. sjwenings
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: According to reports, the statues are actually a fiberglass material. They were rigged with gas lines to make it look like they were actually on fire.

Cool. I was wondering a bit about this. Seemed like they had to shoot this scene pretty fast if they used wood, lol!

19. Iker Gernika
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

I think that I can see Melisandre in the second pic….

20. sjwenings
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Iker Gernika: I think that I can see Melisandre in the second pic….

Yeah, you can quite clearly make her out in the larger version – being all red and all.

21. Mormegil
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Looks like there are two Women* at the burning so Selyse seems to be in (at least as an Extra).

*One with her back to the camera in front of the first fire and the other (Mel) off to the right of that same fire.

22. Chrysee
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

That looks like some ridiculously red hair. Urg. I look forward to the wig-gates this season.

23. Gytha Ogg
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

*LIKES*

24. jellydonut
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

25. Mormegil
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Knurk: Nice, I love me some exclusive photos! I need to let Dance go and start focussing on all the glory that will be season 2. Haven’t been up with all the threads recently so excuse me if this is already talked about: do you guys think this mean Dragonstone will be all Northern-Ireland and not Croatia?

Given that Iceland has been added to the filming locations I think Dragonstone may end up as a mix of N.I and Iceland.

Just noticed the tunnel in the cliff in the first photo, if this beach/cliff is being used for more than just the Burning scene they may well incorporate it into the set.

26. purplejilly
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Lord Two Feathers: BTW I have seen an adult direwolf! ….No Shit ! Anyone concerned about the size or ferocity of these beasties can rest easy. The description George gives in the books IS accurate!

YOU HAVE JUST MADE MY WEEKEND!!!! Thank you Lord TF, excellent job as well of supporting the bottom!!!

27. sjwenings
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

jellydonut: So where is this red priestess of which you speak? Maybe I’m being slow but I can’t see her

She stands between the two biggest fires – more or less in the middle.

28. metalgoddessamb
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

The seven kind of remind of the terracotta army?

29. Kalasin
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Maybe it’s my monitor but I found that to be a bit like Where’s Waldo.

30. Hi-Fi
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

I see two women. Mel and Selyse?

Can’t find Stannis, though.

Anyway, thanks for the exclusive! :)

31. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Knurk:
    Lord Two Feathers,

you sir, have just made my day!

Sorry dude. I could tell you but I would have to kill you.

32. Jimbob
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

With regards to the positioning of the statues I’m not sure if its just me but they seemed to have moved again since last night, but could be just cos the tide was different.

Maybe they were playing with the positioning.

Anyway I’m heading down there again tonight, I think their will be more action. Just wish my lens was bigger….fnar fnar

33. HandmaidenofDany
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Jimbob,

I suspect that they will have to do many shoots to get the dramatic effect just right. Tak some good pics! :)

34. HandmaidenofDany
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

I swear there is an elephant in that picture….with a woman on it? LOL, not sure what I’m looking at there.

35. Langkard
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

metalgoddessamb:
    The seven kind of remind of the terracotta army?

That was my thought exactly!

36. Jimbob
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

HandmaidenofDany:

I’ll try my best. As for women on Elephants??? hmmm haha

37. Chris
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Those statues are pretty awesome… and HUGE. This is one case where I think the show is actually more impressive in scale then what I pictured.

38. Chris
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Something I didn’t notice in the earlier picture of The Seven: Those statues are HUGE!
    Bravo. Glad to see it, although I had always imagined them to be merely human-sized Father, Mother, Crone, Maid etc.
    Biggest relief… they’re actually shooting this scene AT NIGHT!
    Several dramatic scenes in the first season which should have been in at least partial darkness were instead in bright nonthreatening daylight: Old Nan’s story of the White Walkers, Aliser Thorne’s cannibal bedtime story, the oath of the Black Brothers, Jamie & Co. vs. Jory & Ned, Mirri Maz Duur doing her thing in Khal Drogo’s Tent… I think they lost a lot of their power and atmosphere in what Lord Byron called “gaudy day.”
    This scene will be much more dramatic than I feared.
    As early in the season as it happens, it should set a strong tone for what’s to come.
    Excellent.

39. marzman
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

wow… love it. take this internet… check and mate.

40. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

The figure on the far left of the beach pic., carrying a torch,do we think this is maester Cressen keeping his distance?

41. Yellow Dog
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Lord Two Feathers,

Whew! I do NOT want to know the secret of giant, ferocious, LIVE direwolves – I want that much magic at least to watch when Season 2 starts.

42. Angela Paulsen
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Awesome!!

43. Ned
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Hilarious Parody video of the GoT Episode 9 Reaction Video:

44. GaR
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Lord Two Feathers,

Maester Cressen was dead by the time the Seven were burned.

45. Jimmy
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Can someone tell me where the cameras are? They are not burning the seven just for fun, are they?

46. HandmaidenofDany
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Jimmy,

There is a camerman in the far right corner and I imagine more on the other side of the fire.

47. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

GaR:
    Lord Two Feathers,

Maester Cressen was dead by the time the Seven were burned.

Hmmmm! yes ,I hadn`t remembered that. Any idea who it might be then? He looks to be old and wearing a dark robe.

48. Tar Kidho
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Oh, I’m worried now, in both the pics and the video it’s obvious that Carice Van Houten is over-acting terribly… I hope they can still replace her with Elena Satine!

49. HandmaidenofDany
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Lord Two Feathers,

They could change the time line of when he dies. Might be more dramatic then in the book if the burning happens before he dies.

50. HandmaidenofDany
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

You are kidding right?

51. Tar Kidho
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

HandmaidenofDany:
    Tar Kidho,

You are kidding right?

Yes, but don’t tell anybody yet, I was just curious if anybody would jump on that :-)

52. Chris
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

HandmaidenofDany,

53. Michael Silva
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

So good! I can’t wait!!!

54. Iker Gernika
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Chris:I think that is just a photographer. I was wondering where the cameras were too. They may be shooting some shots from far away when this picture was taken.

If I´m not mistaken there are a lot of guys in the left corner of the second pic, looks like there is some stuff and someone with a camera… not sure about it

55. Fog
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

How can you tell?

56. Mirri Maz
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

:D

i want those seven statues, preferably in a smaller size and with a candle between them.

57. Franny Bee
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

I think it’s awesome that we’re spying on set now with night-vision goggles and recording devices and camo-gear, and it’s not considered ‘fringe’ (weird/geeky/fanatical/etc) at all. Makes me think we’ve finally reached the perfect level of fanarchy.

Thanks for bringing these shots/vids to the table. Must’ve been exciting.

When GoT films in Canada, if you want pics, vids, used napkins, DNA samples, I got it covered ;)

58. The Rabbit
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Great stuff!!

59. The Rabbit
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

I like this photo, too ;)

60. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

I just had a geekgasm…. That is way to cool to get a little sneak peak of that scene so early!

61. Jimbob
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Hi Guys just got back from the beach, very disappointing, no pics, security was tight, found a vantage point at the top of the cliff by the temple before being asked to leave.

Then went to the spot where I was last night and was told to put the camera away.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the picture from last night were a rehearsal for the actors to get used to the way the statues would burn. There were a lot more people on set tonight, more camera gear and a really nice lighting rig that lit the beach beautifully. (the sky was perfect too)

They started filming around 11 after the last train and I stayed to see one round of statues alight. Caught a few glimpses of lady melisandre in what appeared to be an off the shoulder number (red of course).

I’m told they will continue filming till around 5am. Anyway no exclusive pics i’m afraid.

[edit] I think they had moved the positioning of the seven slightly since yesterday.

62. KG
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Sweet! Nice work!

63. Niall O'Donnell
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

I was told they were on the beach till 4.30AM last night too! Surely couldn’t of been rehearsals if it took that long and with all the extras dressed in the shows clothing!

64. Jimbob
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Niall O’Donnell:

Aye I assume they went on to do some filming later, I just meant when my picture was taken

65. Tar Kidho
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Jimbob,

Thanks for spying for us Jimbob! Makes the too long wait for casting announcements much easier to bear… But please, won’t you try to get some more pictures? I’m sure many here will agree with me when I say that we’ll bail you out of jail if necessary :-)

Posted July 29, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

So…. are they just being way more lax with security this year, or what???

Posted July 29, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Lex, I think this is just a byproduct of a) the show being more popular and b) filming in a prominent tourist location. Probably more of the latter. Similar to how the filming at Doune Castle netted us a bunch of spy shots.

68. Hexonx
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Does anyone know if Melisandre is going to have red eyes like in the books?

69. Ed
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

No man. He’s dead.

Lord Two Feathers:

70. Frikki
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

That has to be an Iron Islands boatcraft – it looks like a longship, the kind Vikings and Ironborn used for coastal sailing and reaving.

71. fancySansa
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

Ed,

I think they probably changed the order of events a bit, so he dies after the burning of the seven. It was something I (and other people, I’m sure) predicted they might do, because that way viewers could clearly see who Melisandre is and how she unnerves this guy, and it gives his later actions more weight, I think, since his prologue chapter is very internal

Posted July 30, 2011 at 4:04 am | Permalink

Hexonx:
    Does anyone know if Melisandre is going to have red eyes like in the books?

Probably not, since they passed on funky eye colour for Tyrion and Dany… although with Melisandre, I think they should do the red eyes. Maybe only once in a while, like when she’s praying at her fires or burning something.

73. Louisa
    Posted July 30, 2011 at 4:20 am | Permalink

I’m terribly confused… I clicked all the links and I really don’t see the red priestess in any of the pictures. The second picture with the burning statues is too dark to make out any of the people.

Maybe I’m just really slow today :( Help?

74. Tar Kidho
    Posted July 30, 2011 at 4:21 am | Permalink

Lex,

I’m not sure about ‘red red’ eyes, but I’d like to see them go with something like this:
    Those can still be given more of a red glow when she’s praying near her fires.

75. Tar Kidho
    Posted July 30, 2011 at 4:26 am | Permalink

Louisa,

In this picture (make sure to click on it to watch it full size), she’s the only one facing this way, between the two big fires, closer to the left one. In case you really can’t make out the dark-red colour, it might be your monitor that needs adjustment. Check here to see if you can see all the shades of gray, especially those towards the dark side of the spectrum…

76. hav_
    Posted July 30, 2011 at 5:24 am | Permalink
  77. Tar Kidho
    Posted July 30, 2011 at 6:29 am | Permalink

hav_,

Yeah, that should make it clear ;-)

Btw, anybody else noticed the person standing just right of Melisandre? He’s mostly hidden behind one of the guardsmen, but I would say he has a balding head, and if that’s true of course that’s our Stannis…

78. Louisa
    Posted July 30, 2011 at 8:32 am | Permalink

Thanks Tar Kidho and Hav (although your link isn’t working :P) I think I finally spotted her! The one with the wide neck dress and the arm crossed/out in front of her? :P

79. silverjaime
    Posted July 30, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

dizzy_34,

I was wondering that too. The pix don’t really convey how large the set was – the ship was very long – I just got the front half of it in. And there was obviously going to be building even on top of the archway.
    I’ll chance another go later in the month!

80. tysnow
    Posted July 30, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the pics, the first glimpse of my favorite female character (I am a sucker for red heads). I like the cut of the dress and it looks as if they are going all out for the red head look. Can’t wait to see Carice become Mel, here’s hoping the first promo pick is of the Red Priestess. Preferably a rear shot, with her upper torso turning so we get a profile of her side, then a teasing glimpse of her face (not to much), but we get to see her hair, in all it’s reddish/copper glory.

81. Dorskey
    Posted July 31, 2011 at 7:52 am | Permalink

Hey Guys

I managed to sneak in past security on the first night of filming to get a vantage point right above the set. As regards to use of the cliffs as Dragonstone, I don’t believe they will do this as they had installed their lighting along the cliffs propped on scaffolding etc..
    They had some cameras mounted upon some sort of tank tracked cherry pickers which were located to the cliff side of the main set but I’m sure there were more elsewhere. I reckon they filmed from on top of the cliffs aswell to use as a view from Dragonstone (forgive me if I’m mistaken but in the book Davos looked down upon the burning of the seven form Dragonstone before rescuing Edric Storm).
    In regards to the statues, those early pictures do not show them in their final location. They had just been clustered further up the beach before they were then mounted on to some sort of poles near the tide line (at a stage the water was right around them). During filming the Seven had a constant low fire ember glowing at their base but when it actually came to the shooting of the scene, they were ignited with gas (pipes had been buried under beach a few days before).
    The bits that I seen involved a crowd of extras holding flame torches shouting and chanting as Melisandre walked through the Seven.

Got a few pic’s but didn’t want to use my flash as it would have given my location away so the pictures are not great…

82. tysnow
    Posted August 1, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

I think the big ship prelica they are building is Davos’s warship, a lot of action and filming takes place on her. Whereas, the merchant Cog transporting Theon can be done with a few exteriors of an existing Cog Ship and then interior cabin being a set.

The link is to an existing ship there in the UK which would look pretty good as that Cog.

83. lyanna's_roses
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

I’m going on set next week I can’t wait!!! My cousin works on the show and if they don’t comandeer my camera I will post as many photos as I can!

Love this website, I check it every day!

I know I’m alittle obsessed

84. Irene
    Posted August 6, 2011 at 9:05 am | Permalink

i’m really looking forward to season 2!!
    would like to suggest Rufus Sewell as Edmure Tully. Take a look at his pictures at http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/fullmonty/482/rufus.htm and don’t tell me he can’t pass off as Richard Madden’s uncle!! the curly hair, those large expressive eyes. plus, he’s a few years younger than Michelle Fairley, so he can definitely be her younger brother and heir of Riverrun! i just keep imagining Rufus with those curly locks when i read about Edmure, esp when he is standing forlornly in front of some besieged castle with something around his neck.

1. [...] Winter-Is-Coming.net has obtained a set photo that features a wide shot of the burning of the Seven, a major set piece scene from early in the season. We posted photos of the unburned Seven statues yesterday, but they've since been burned and the scene filmed. [...]

2. [...] fotos, distribuidas a lo largo de la entrada y que fueron difundidas a través del portal Winter is Coming y de las cuentas de Flickr de jackosgillespie y de craftedfromtheheart, nos muestran a las tallas en [...]

3. [...] panelu te kratki intervju sa R.R. Martinom ima Mo Ryan sa AOLTV.com-a, a Winter is Coming ima ponešto informacija sa snimanja nove sezone. Tweet var tumblr_link_url = [...]

4. [...] Bron: FlickR, FlickR, FlickR en WiC.net [...]