Exclusive: Tom Wlaschiha is Jaqen H’ghar
By Winter Is Coming on in Casting, News.

Tom WlaschihaThe steady flow of casting news continues… and now we have our own exclusive Game of Thrones casting to announce. The part of Jaqen H’ghar will be filled by German actor Tom Wlaschiha. Wlaschiha has appeared in numerous German films and TV series’ and also had a few small roles in Hollywood films such as Enemy at the Gates, Munich and Valkyrie. You can check out his showreel at his official site.

Jaqen H’ghar is one of a group of criminals that is being taken to the Wall by Yoren along with Arya. Tower of the Hand notes his appearance in the book as “slender and fine-featured, half of his hair is red and the other half is white.” HBO describes Jaqen as “sly, enigmatic, and a dangerous criminal, part of Yoren’s group of recruits taken from King’s Landing to join the Night’s Watch. A foreigner from the Free Cities, he speaks broken English. Seductive, charming, and very dangerous.”

Winter Is Coming: I have to say, I really, really like this casting. Wlaschiha has a great look that fits the mysterious Lorathi criminal. I wonder if they will keep his long, two-tone hairdo? I think his eyes alone give him enough of a unique appearance. Plus they could use his natural German accent to really drive home the fact that H’ghar is not from Westeros. And I love the intensity in his acting present on his showreel. Really excited to see Wlaschiha on screen and in character. Welcome to the cast Tom!

1. CrimzinD
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

I like their choice. He looks great for the part.

2. OhWhoCares
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Oh YES.

3. Sandra Gomes
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

He’s handsome in a creepy way… Me likes :)

4. Hollyoak
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Second?

Sorry.

All men must die. Guess it’s not Syrio.

5. jellydonut
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Nice. I have no doubt he’s the best they could find for this iconic role.

This is gonna be awesomeee

6. Knurk
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Exclusive, awesomeness!

7. The Rabbit
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

WoW! Perfect Jaqen!

8. David Moore
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

What does this mean, if anything, about the theory that Syrio = Jaqen? Regardless, he fits my mental image of Jaqen. I think his accent will be perfect for Jaqen’s interesting phrasing.

9. LL
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

God, thoses eyes oO Totally him as a mysterious, dangerous man and … and what ? He’s Jaqen !

10. aleksa
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Oooooh. I like this one.

11. DibuK
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Hollyoak:

All men must die. Guess it’s not Syrio.

Though I’m not a believer, this disproves nothing… FACE CHANGING!!!!!

12. Brixpicks
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

One of my favorite characters so far (am in the middle of SoS) and happy with this casting. He might eclipse jorah as top hunk.

13. Gravedigger
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Awesome! Wlaschiha is great.
    He’s playing Albrecht in an adaptation of Owen Sheers’s Resistance which should be out in a couple of months!! Keep a look out for it. It’s a fantastic book, and he has a big role in it.

I’m so pleased he’s in GoT too. ;-)

14. Angela Bomar
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I looooove this choice. He is a great actor, and really looks like I pictured Jaqen in my head.

15. Kharn9
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

DibuK: Though I’m not a believer, this disproves nothing…FACE CHANGING!!!!!

Just so.

And even if Syrio is not Ja’qen, it does not mean he is dead. He could have escaped and we will meet him again.

16. Lord of Fangs
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Watch the first part of the showreel….

Tom: I don’t remember what you call the little animal…thin like a squirrel but it’s not…it’s a carnivore, deadly for it’s size…

Woman: A weasel?

Tom: Yes. A weasel.

Ohhhh man, what an awesome coincidence.

17. Felix Zschieschow
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

It certainly seems like… all men must dye.

18. dimensionallyT
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Holy mary mother of God!

I am pretty sure he was never that good looking in my head.

He has just jumped to sexiest man in GoT *faints*

Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

I’m deleting any comments that have uncovered spoilers. That includes speculation about certain popular fan theories.

Let’s be respectful to those who haven’t yet read the book. Spoiler tag your comments people!

20. Josh Parker
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

That’s Jaqen, no question. There better not be any “gates” about this guy.

Now how the heck do you pronounce it?! JACK-en? JOCK-en? JAK-wen? Wa-KEN? Wa-KEEN?

21. Starkgirl
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

He looks great for the part! I couldn’t imagine a better look for the character, and I assume he has the acting chops.

22. Clob
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

His showreel is impressive. I like his abilities. It appears they’ve made another good casting choice. I think he’ll quite easily slip into the dangerous, mysterious Jaqen. *thumbs up*

23. zzarazza
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

I really like this casting – he has a very interesting face, eyes especially striking

24. Johan Sporre
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Perfect voice! I’m really liking this.

25. Chrysee
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I think the Dotrice pronunciation was JAY-ken

26. Tessa Leonie
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Oooh I like, perfect eyes for the part. However I’m not sure about a german accent, vallar morghullis hmmm actually maybe that would work

27. Crotalidian (Paul)
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

This does nothing either way for Syrio = Jaquen still the biggest potential hint is what do we say to the god of death? but that could simply be that the God of Many Faces is in Braavos

I like the Look of Him. Look forward to his performance and some screenshots of him in full gear

28. Jaqen H'ghar
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker:
    That’s Jaqen, no question. There better not be any “gates” about this guy.

For me personally, JOCK-wen has always been the preferred pronunciation.

29. kerning
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Wow. What a great look–cunning, dangerous, a little eerie. I don’t think this guy’s name been batted around for speculation, but now I’m not sure I can imagine anyone more fitting!

30. Lynn Walker
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Based on what they’ve done with the other characters, I’d say this IS an excellent choice. Great job on casting. Can’t wait to see him in costume.

31. big swerg
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

looks like a good choice, damn april is a long time away….

32. Nick Larter
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

He has Lee van Cleef’s eyes

Pronounciation-wise in german, Yarkin at a guess ;)

33. Obsidian
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

E-e-e-x-x-cellent ! ( and it disproves nothing )

Of course Jaquen was good looking..remember the girls simpering and giggling over him as he rode into Harrenhall ?
    Eta..I believe that Wl is polish ..so the w is silent I’d guess Lash-ee-ha, or maybe Lash-ee-ah

Please let him have a good wig…

34. Josh Parker
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

K, so now we know that David Wilmot was not hired for either of the roles we know he auditioned for.

So could he be the Blackfish? Please, Nina? He’d be perfect and you wouldn’t even have to dye his hair!

35. Caedes
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Never heard of him, but I like his looks and his showreel. A lot.

This gives me pause after the slight disappointment in Asha. Nor the actress or the name change were easy to accept for me.

Josh Parker,

I suspect something about JA-kwen uh-GARH.

I wonder if his german accent would make Unsullied people believe that Shae is also from Lorath, or wherever Jaqen is. In TwoP forums, they’re even speculating that she’s a lost Targaryen (foreign, resist fire, mysterious past of not so humble origin…).

36. Maxwell James
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Oooh, he’s gonna be good.

This should kick off a whole new round of murmurs over what they’re up to with Shae, since she also has a German accent.

They can skip the bicolored hair AFAIC – one of Martin’s little conceits that has gotten sillier and sillier over time.

37. João Amaral
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

he looks creepy. Perfect.

38. Paco
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

LAWD HE IS SO PHOINE!! I CANNOT WAIT TO SCREAM ABOUT HIM ON MY TWITTER WHENEVER HE COMES ON SCREEN BECAUSE I.AM.DYING.ALREADY.AT.HIS.SEXINESS.I.CANNOT!!!

AND HE HAS SOME *ALMOST* NAKED PICS OF HIM WHERE YOU CAN ALMOST SEE HIS DICK FROM SOME MOVIE WHERE HE APPARENTLY PLAYS A GAY GUY IDK SO MIGHT WE EXPECT A PENIS SHOT FROM HIM?!!!!!!!!!! HBO DO.NOT.LET.ME.DOWN.

39. Epic knows nothing
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker: Please, Nina? He’d be perfect and you wouldn’t even have to dye his hair!

Somebody has a crush!

40. Whiskeyjack
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

A man approves.

I just recently finished the first Arya chapter in ADwD, and GRRM is still alluding to connections between Syrio and the Faceless Men. I’d bet Syrio will reveal himself as either the kindly priest of the Many Faced God in Braavos, or the Faceless Man currently posing as Pate at the Citdel.

I’ve always pronounced his name as “Jacques” -en.

41. Anthony Cordisco
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

A man acts and a fan is pleased.

42. KG
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Oh, nice choice. He looks like a younger version of Jude Law, which is a nice thing to look like :)

43. Gravedigger
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Paco,

You both delight & frighten me.

44. KG
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Paco,

We missed you :)

45. Epic knows nothing
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Very nice picture of our Jaqen. He looks a lot healthier since he stopped singing for Radiohead.

46. Caedes
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

And with the hair… split colors hairdo looks too corny, imho.

I think they’ll go with a more streaked hair, if they keep the read and white colors anyway.

47. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Whiskeyjack:

I’ve always pronounced his name as “Jacques” -en.

Same here. I never use just one languages (i.e. English) pronunciation pattern for fantasy names as that makes the world feel much flatter.

48. Josh Parker
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Epic knows nothing,

O…kay…

Actually I’m a rabid fan-caster. I know it’s stupid, but I can’t help it.

I was impressed by Wilmot’s audition videos but I’m cool with both casting choices for the roles in question.

The true “cast him now!” audition video was Jonny Philips as Balon. He rocked that role and truly seemed to get the character. He made me feel like he could tell you all about Balon without having to think about it.

49. andrea
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

he´s perfect for the role…¡ the eyes are amazing!. Maybe it’s the shadow on the right side of his face that it seems that his face is not symmetrical at all? That´s just right for Jaqen.

50. Igor Veloso
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

A man loves this choice!

51. Caedes
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker:
    Epic knows nothing,

This

If Jonny Philips audition serves as a measure point, whoever they cast as Balon would be beyond awesome.

52. Judith
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Really happy with this casting :D
    I’ve seen him on screen before and I’m sure he can pull it off!

53. Epic knows nothing
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker: O…kay…

Actually I’m a rabid fan-caster. I know it’s stupid, but I can’t help it.

Oh I see. I wasn’t saying you are gay. But if you are, there’s nothing wrong with that.

That said I hope your dreams come true regarding Wilmot.

54. frog spear girl
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

wow…EACH half of his face is quite unique from the other. that gives him a verrrrrry distinct look and will be perfect with the 2-toned hair. hmmm…some good thinking went into this cast. “-)

an excellent choice!

but c’monnnn…sexier than SER JORAH? didja see that open green jerkin wore when he took khaleesi shopping? do you have an HDTV? puhhh-lleeze! “-)

55. HandmaidenofDany
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Excellent choice!

56. purplejilly
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Oh wow, he looks great! excellent man of mystery face, cool eyes! I hope the ABANDON the two toned red and white hair. That will only make him look like a clown, onscreen. He would be fine with a long brown or black wig.

Of course my fan theory that Syrio=Jaquen would have me prefering that they use Miltos as Jaquen, and change his face and hair in the traditional way of faceless men and women, wigs, makeup and prosthetics. But it looks like they have decided to go with a different actor, which doesn’t really confirm or deny anything in my opinion, yet, about the S=J theory. In fact it will just make it more dramatic, if it’s true.

57. Josh Parker
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Epic knows nothing,

I’m not, but I’m not bothered by what you said. I took it as you meant it.

My reason for wanting Wilmot as the Blackfish is that he looks practically just like GRRM described the character, and his hair is naturally red. He may be a bit young, but not too much.

58. Epic knows nothing
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

purplejilly,

59. Josh Parker
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Another thing: I’m on board with skipping the two-toned hair. It’s not really needed and when I imagined the character as I was reading I kept having to remind myself about his hair. I generally imagined it as dark.

Red with streaks of white that could be mistake for age is just fine by me.

Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Epic knows nothing, she spoilered it because I asked people to do so.

61. Josh Parker
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

purplejilly,

62. Epic knows nothing
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

I see. Then it’s not quite as endearing as I thought then is it?

Winter, do you know something we don’t or is a rule for all theories?

63. Elena Amici
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

CrimzinD:
    I like their choice. He looks great for the part.

this.

now, where is my ygritte?

64. Matthew
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

I hope they don’t keep his accent. I don’t want Lorath to turn into Germany.

65. The DarkStar
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

wow.

66. Astalnar
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

I realy like this casting, just by his look. He realy has that H’gar wibe.
    That said. Jaquen is in reality Sirio Forell, aka, The Faceless man

Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Epic knows nothing: Winter, do you know something we don’t or is a rule for all theories?

For a theory that requires a character to change his appearance, something non-book readers wouldn’t know about yet and which is revealed in a dramatic way late in the season, yes, I consider that to be a spoiler.

Elena Amici: now, where is my ygritte?

According to recent tweets, they are still currently auditioning for this role.

68. Jenn Rose
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

A girl likes. A girl swoons.

69. Chris Thomas
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Great choice, much better than I wouldve been plus he matches Jaqens age..

70. Ivan Popić
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

60 comments and nobody complained he isn’t pretty enough?

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT YOU DID TO HOUSE GATEWATCH!

On a more serious note – I think he will be a good Jaqen.

71. Elena Amici
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: According to recent tweets, they are still currently auditioning for this role.

really? can you provide more informations? thanks!

Matthew:
    I hope they don’t keep his accent.I don’t want Lorath to turn into Germany.

i think that’d be cool ;)

72. Argilac the Arrogant
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Epic knows nothing:
    Winter Is Coming,

I see. Then it’s not quite as endearing as I thought then is it?

Winter, do you know something we don’t or is a rule for all theories?

I believe the spoiler that WiC wants us to tag is the fact that Jaqen is a Faceless Man. purplejelly’s theory reveals that bit.

Edit: Winter beat me to it. And more vaguely. Mine’s more spoilery!

73. Inka
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Perfect, perfect, so perfect!

74. Lisa
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Matthew:
    I hope they don’t keep his accent.I don’t want Lorath to turn into Germany.

I have it on good authority that the Lorathi like bratwurst and sauerkraut, as well as driving their Mercedes with full speed on the autobahn. ;)

On Topic: I really like this casting, he has an interesting look that is just right for Jaqen.

75. Ivan Popić
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Am I the only one who sees spoilers without selecting the text? I see white letters on black background while using Opera, they work as they are supposed to in Chrome.

76. Sam
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

that accent will be amazing for jaqen. i can’t wait to hear him say,”a man knows.”

77. Hi-Fi
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker:
    Epic knows nothing,

I’m not, but I’m not bothered by what you said. I took it as you meant it.

Josh, I was also pretty impressed by Wilmot auditions. But I think he could work better as Edmure, instead of the Blackfish. Especially because Edmure’s role is bigger in the coming seasons.

Hope he gets cast in any good role, actually.

78. metalgoddessamb
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

I like this casting. For some reason I always saw Johnny Depp in my mind for Jaquen when reading, and this guy has the same bone/facial structure.

I hope they keep the long two tone hair also!

79. Jeff hardi
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

gud choice /// kinda lyk dis dude

80. SJGIM
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

I like this casting as well. I want them to keep the two tone hair. I would like to see this for three reasons:
    1) It drew attention to the character immediately.
    2) They have done an excellent job so far of making usually cheesy elements of fantasy look realistic. I believe it could be pulled off and would like to see it done well. (this reason has nothing to do with the show itself, I am simply a costume enthusiast and seeing it done well would make me very happy)
    3) When he does transform, going from bright two-toned/split hair to a drab brown or black is a really simple way to begin making the character turn from this attractive eye-drawing looking man to a very plain/unattractive man.

81. Jillian
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

82. KG
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Ivan Popić,

Just to keep things legal:

He can support my bottom anytime.

83. Nick Larter
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Hope they keep the two tone hair – my abiding image is of Jaqen riding into Harrenhal with the Bloody Mummers and that look fits a treat with Hoat, Shagwell, Qyburn, Zollo, Septon Utt and the rest of the gang

84. Jessica C.
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Regarding spoilers, I could see them all on my IPhone. Spoiler tagged details are bold not hidden when I look through the comments.

Also, has anyone heard if they are cutting any characters from the show? Blackfish keeps coming up as one character, but what about Meera and Jojen. Are they still keeping them and the two Walders?

85. Jay
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Ivan Popić,
    Hm, strange, ’cause I’m using Opera and I can’t see the text. Have you… installed any plug-ins or anything like that?

As for the casting, I love it. Is this the most unanimous approval we’ve had, or was someone even more approved? ( I wasn’t here for the Season 1 casting, so I don’t know about those.)

86. Skye
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

He looks perfect :)
    A girl likes.

87. Ro
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Bean and Dinklage were universally approved. Ecstatically approved.

88. Cristian Modesto
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

He’s perfect. I haven’t seen him act but in terms of appearance, it’s perfect casting

89. John W
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

All the casting choices they’ve made so far in the first season have worked for me so I’m sure this will be a good choice, but the deciding factor for me will be when he speaks.

90. purplejilly
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Jillian: Thi casting is making me wish there were Jaqen/ Margaery Tyrell love scenes. I know its ridiculous, but with Dormer as Margaery and this guy, it would have been epic.

91. Zack
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Love it! This casting has me really happy. Despite not being too acquainted with his work, I watched the showreel Phil linked to and I can totally hear Jaqen talking. The Germanic accent will be perfect for the character IMO. He has really intense eyes too, which is key for him.

+1 to hoping they keep the red/white hair

92. Gaveston71
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

This is perfect. Exactly how I thought of him. He was great in Brideshead Revisited. Carice Van Houten was also in Valkyrie. I’d be really interested to see how the casting process for the show works.

93. SugarVampire
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Lord of Fangs,

He is fantastic, totally what I imagine what Jaqen looks like. As with weasel mentioned in that clip, I guess it is meant to be! Maisie’s scenes will be even more awesome. I just hope that the director/editor won’t screw up the wagon fire scene like they did with the stable boy one.

94. Jim Fischer
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Looks very much like i viewed him. I really like the potential german accent aswell.

95. purplejilly
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker: Traditional way of what? You read ADwD, right? They use dead flesh masks combined with sorcery, or at least that’s what they use with trainees. When Jaqen changes his face in front of Arya, he’s not putting a mask on. That’s magic right there.

Sorry, I think I did not write down everything in my head that I was thinking in that post, so it came off as confusing.
    No, I meant Transform MILTOS (actor who plays Syrio) in the traditional way, with masks, wigs and prosthetics, and in the manner of the ‘original’ Faceless men, the men (and women) of the CIA. They can change faces like other men change clothes all the time. Sorry. Did I make more sense this time? need more coffee.. less milk of poppy..

96. Obsidian
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Paco,

I think you have to start talking yourself out of the desired shot...there would be opportunity for it in the bathtub scene...but since his character’s main interaction is with an underage girl ,and is decidedly non-sexual
    …maybe you’ll just have to dream. ( Dreams are good) :)

97. Jillian
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

purplejilly: It is HBO, after all, they LOVE to add in sex scenes. Fills the boobs, butt and skin quota for each episode :)

True enough, maybe later on they could somehow make him one of her accusers? lol

98. rob
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

The red and white hair doesn’t have to be like the wig picture shown previously. It can be done in a subtle way, like http://www.towerofthehand.com/essays/top30affc/23.html

Start with that picture as a baseline, make the majority of it white with about 1/4th a natural auburn and it will look just fine.

That being said, the REASON to keep the red/white hair is so people understand he is a bloody mummer (or at least has taken the face of a bloody mummer in his FM quest). If the wardrobe/makeup department comes up with another way for people to understand that he’s a member of the bloody mummers then the two-tone hair is no longer required, IMO.

99. Oi!
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

There’s one detail from books i hope HBO does not follow.

100. rob
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

for name pronunciation, I always went with szah-KEN heh-GAHR.

But the JAY-kin thing works too. Just isn’t based on jacque so I didn’t go that route.

101. Bene
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Tessa Leonie: However I’m not sure about a german accent,

about the accent:

as a german i cant know how a german accent sounds for native speakers, but the accent he is using in the first movie of the showreel sounded more russian to me. i also heared “moscow” being mentioned, without actually following what they were talking tho. but my bet is that it was a fake russian accent.

or does a german accent actually sound like a russian one to you? just wondering.

102. Obsidian
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

rob,

I think the hair is meant to reflect a fashion from parts of Essos. Jaqen’s not a Bloody Mummer when first we meet.

I like the red/white hair , but don’t mind if he doesn’t have it , just so long as they keep his hair long. And harking back to Wig-gate..it must be a ! GOOD ! wig. ( accent the GOOD , all my tags and what-not have disappeared) Once he’s free, and allowed to bathe,( or once he’s taken over by the alchemist , depending on how things work out ) he’s something of a peacock..his hair is clean and beautiful. ( Loras’ wig was a travesty.)

103. Gaveston71
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

rob,

That’s exactly how I pronounce the name.

104. Rae
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

A man is cast…
    A man plays a role…

On a side note…my brother is listening to the books on audio and the guy (Roy Dotrice) reading the audio books pronounces his name Jake-In.

105. Tar Kidho
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Ivan Popić: 60 comments and nobody complained he isn’t pretty enough?

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT YOU DID TO HOUSE GATEWATCH!

Based on the picture alone I was pleasantly surprized along with everybody else, but after watching his entire showreel I have two problems with him:

1) in all scenes his acting comes across as ‘fake’ to me, you can hear and see him acting

2) when he speaks softly, his voice is too deep to my liking, not like the smooth soft voice I allways imagined Jaqen would have. (I think what I had in mind would be a soft-speaking John Malkovich)

Also, I wouldn’t like it if they gave Jaqen a German accent. I’d much prefer obscure (/fake) accents that I don’t instinctively relate to a real-world country.

So, there you have it, House Gatewatch is back on track! Allways support the bottom!

(note: to be clear, I wasn’t joking about any of these points, but my trust in Nina Gold remains, so oddly enough all of you are most probably ‘right’ and I must be ‘wrong’…)

106. Elena Amici
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Ivan Popić: 60 comments and nobody complained he isn’t pretty enough?

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT YOU DID TO HOUSE GATEWATCH!

man, he IS pretty ;)

Skye: A girl likes.

this girl agrees

107. Rae
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Jenn Rose,

More than one girl swoons…

108. Eleanor
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

I will be watching him with… interest.

109. OhWhoCares
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Permalink
  110. Lina
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

YESSSSS! This guy looks awesome. Jaqen is one of the most exciting castings for me, probably number two behind Stannis, because I’ve always really liked the character. I love that we are told he is this criminal being sent to the Wall, probably the most rugged/gruff place in Westeros, but then over time we see that he’s actually more of a refined gentleman type…but also a dangerous assassin.

The only thing I’ve seen that has Tom Wlaschiha in is Brideshead Revisited, and he only had a minor role in that. But I am very, very excited, because he LOOKS PERFECT! Handsome, but definitely unique. He has great, expressive eyes. This is hard to explain, but I feel as though his eyes (in the IMDB pictures anyway) convey a detachment that I think is really very fitting for Jaqen. He actually comes really close to how I imagine the character.

IMDB says he is multilingual. Maybe he’ll be able to do some great unique ambiguous accent to make Jaqen sound foreign without sounding too much like any “real world” ethnic group.

To Tom – Welcome! Valar Morghulis!

111. Camilo_Mallea
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

But… this character is already casted… he appears in the final arya scene of the epidode 10 of season 1, he appears in the jail with de others guys, when yoren is talking with arya.

112. OhWhoCares
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Camilo_Mallea,

Can’t tell if you’re joking, but that was just an extra with a sack on his head

113. Juliana A.
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Wow! He is perfect for play Jaqen Hghar! Just like i’m imagine!

114. Camilo_Mallea
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

OhWhoCares:
    Camilo_Mallea,

Can’t tell if you’re joking, but that was just an extra with a sack on his head

yuo’re rigth, i cheked the video and his face did not appear… i didnt remeber that… Thanks!!

115. purplejilly
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Obsidian:
    I think you have to start talking yourself out of the desired shot…there would be opportunity for it in the bathtub scene…but since his character’s main interaction is with an underage girl ,and is decidedly non-sexual

So then my next question is – do David & Dan approve of Fan Fiction of the HBO version of Game of Thrones? If so, then look out PACO, your dreams and shipping wishes could come true!! *goes and searches for an appropriate domain name for GoT Show FF*

116. OhWhoCares
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Camilo_Mallea,

no worries!

Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Didn’t Miltos set the standard for a Bravosi accent? Shouldn’t our Jaqen speak like Miltos did?

Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Lex, no, because he is from Lorath.

If a Faceless Man can magically change his appearance, certainly they can mimic accents as well.

119. purplejilly
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Lorath always sounded to me like a city from a Dr. Suess book.. and the red and white hair mess reinforces that.. LOL.. “I fight for the Trees!” cries Jaquen

120. Jim Cross
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Nobody has bitched yet….. Yay

Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Re: two-tone hair.

I think they’ll drop it, but it would be cool if they just made it more subtle. Like, reddish hair with white highlights.

Full on two-tone split would look a little corny. In fact, GRRM describes a lot of things that sound cool on the page but would probably look corny (e.g. rainbow cloaks).

122. David The Grey
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Wow, I was totally intrigued with the character in the books – now I cannot wait to see this actor’s portrayal of him in the show! Oh April cannot get here fast enough!

123. The Rabbit
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Eleanor:
    I will be watching him with… interest.

Me too ;)

He looks dangerously, he is sexy – killer combination

*another House Gatewatch lady faints*

124. the Gull
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

He looks like he has 2 right eyes.

125. DrSwordopolis
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

A man approves of this casting.

126. Julian Walker
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

I think this is kinda similar to last year casting of Aiden Gillen. NOBODY had shit to say. No nose, ass, eyebrow, ear, mouth, whatever the fuck gate.

127. Steve the Pirate
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

I love his slightly odd sexiness. Very excited about this casting!

128. daveb
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

purplejilly:
    Lorath always sounded to me like a city from a Dr. Suess book.. and the red and white hair mess reinforces that.. LOL..“I fight for the Trees!” cries Jaquen

129. Caedes
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Lex:
    Re: two-tone hair.

They already dropped Illyrio’s yellow, oily beard, Tywin’s muttonchops and change Drogo’s mustachios to a full beard.
    And I’m sure they won’t show Ghiscari’s strange and adorned hairdo, or people with green or blue dyed hair and beards. They’re just too corny and cheap-fantasy looking, almost sci-fi.

130. Paco
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Obsidian,

BUT BUT BUT… MAYBE THEY CAN HAVE A SEXPOSITION SCENE BETWEEN HIM AND PIA? OR MAYBE ONCE THE WHOLE BATHTUB SCENE BETWEEN HIM AND ARYA IS OVER THEY CAN HAVE A SCENE WHERE HES GETTING OUT OF THE TUB OR EVEN BEFORE, OF HIM GETTING *IN* THE TUB!

I NEED NAKED JACKOFF H’GHAR IN MAH LIFE

131. Elena Amici
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

purplejilly: If so, then look out PACO, your dreams and shipping wishes could come true!! *goes and searches for an appropriate domain name for GoT Show FF*

paco is not the only one ;)

132. Chris
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

Actually, I wouldn’t want to hear a specifically German accent but often a non-English speaker trying to do a British or American accent ends up with a decidedly different sounding but not identifiable one instead.
    Could be very interesting.
    And yes, he’s supposed to be a good looking guy. The ladies at Harrenhall go gaga over him and it’s all the more remarkable when he eventually assumes the very plain curly-haired visage that is apparently his “real” face.

133. Epic The Balls
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Argilac the Arrogant,

When non-readers find out Jaqen is a Faceless Man, or even what Faceless Man means, they’re gonna get their socks blown. Actually, I should find out what it means. It might be right in line with: HBO describes Jaqen as “sly, enigmatic, and a dangerous criminal, part of Yoren’s group of recruits taken from King’s Landing to join the Night’s Watch. A foreigner from the Free Cities, he speaks broken English. Seductive, charming, and very dangerous.”
    Still, it’s a nice intention to care about the non-reader’s perspective (which I clearly don’t). Very cool that WiC.net got this exclusive.

This thread watches women swoon like a field of grass in the wind.

134. loco73
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Me likeee! This another piece of good news in the casting department. That is why I’m always attracted to HBO shows, not only for the quality, but also for the fact that I get to discover soo many great actors that I might otherwise not get the chance to watch anywhere else!

135. paulgude
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Good casting!

As far as theories go:

It’s always been my thought that IF they’re going to do S=J for the show that they’d cast someone else as Jaqen and then have Mitos show up when the face-changing happens. So this doesn’t do anything for that theory. Standard disclaimer: I only think they may do this for the show not the book, I only think they may do this because Miltos has dark curly hair like the Alchemist, I’m usually wrong about these things, etc.

136. purplejilly
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

daveb: I know I need coffee today, because I tried, unsuccessfully, to “like” this for a solid 30 seconds.

hahahahaha! Get some coffee, Dave!

137. clemintine
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Congrats Tom on being the least Gated cast. Perhaps there should be a trophy. Me like. He fits both my mental image of JH (secondary importance) and he can play his personality. I hope for the same hair, but HBO seems to be shying away from less than natural features (the violet eyes, mismatched eyes) so I think they might chuck it. But even without hair this is our Jaquen. Heh, since they gave Syrio hair maybe Jaquen should go bald. A little in joke to the fans.

Jaquen: What’s your accent?
    Shae: Foreign. What’s yours?
    Jaquen: Foreign.

Paco,

Obsidian: but since his character’s main interaction is with an underage girl ,and is decidedly non-sexual

138. Paco
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Epic The Balls,

This thread watches women swoon like a field of grass in the wind.

*clears his throat while staring once again at Tom’s picture and swooning a la Sansa*

139. dizzy_34
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

This is cool. Now we need some Boltons, Tullys and Balon Greyjoy.

140. Ed
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

If we’re playing that game I’ll put in for a Dany/Margaery love scene…

Jillian:

As far as theories go:

143. Nick Larter
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Lorath – the Knight of the Flowers, if one were to ask Vargo Hoat

144. purplejilly
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: Don’t you think it would kinda be weird when the audience recognizes Miltos as Syrio and Arya doesn’t?

I wonder if they will change it, and let Arya recognize him after all. It wouldn’t hurt. Or maybe his face shifts, then once Arya says her final no, and he walks away, maybe THEN he shifts all the way into Miltos.

145. Steve the Pirate
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Lex,

I agree with you about Jaqen’s hair. The extreme two-tone is a bit much on a real person. I’m for a subtler version, or axing it altogether.

146. Epic The Balls
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

clemintine: Jaquen: What’s your accent?
    Shae: Foreign. What’s yours?
    Jaquen: Foreign.

lol. And I add:

Shae: Tyrion, what’s your accent exactly?
    Tyrion: Ah, emm, English of cah-ourse. isn’t that right sweet brather?
    Jaime: Ja, don’t be tåbelig

147. Ripley
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Great choice. Imdb states he’s a multi-lingual actor who speaks German, English, French, Russian and Italian. So the accent he uses may not be German. Clip from Imdb shows he can speak English without an accent.

And yes, to Bene, I thought the accent from the clip was Russian, not German.

148. Maxwell James
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Here’s how they do it:

[Jaqen changes his face & turns into the Alchemist]
    Arya: [stunned] Syrio???
    Alchemist: Not today

149. Astalnar
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

purplejilly,

The thing is, faceless men realy do change their face with their posture, apperance and behaviour. It is all described in ADWD. So changing actor is a good thing. When Jaquen leaves Arya and transformes into old alchemist, they should have another actor prepared, because it is totaly new face.

150. Steve the Pirate
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

That sounds like bad fanfic, lol.

151. Epic The Balls
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Astalnar,

I honestly hope not. I hope they use natural realistic means of disguise and not wacky ones as described gleefully all over this thread..

On this thread I’ve been spoiled twice with ADwD spoils because I thought they would be harmless Faceless Men spoils. Be warned.

152. Ninepenny
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Seems like a great choice to me, I look forward to seeing him on the show.

153. Ritzcracker
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

So hot! Those eyes are so piercing

154. Obsidian
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

purplejilly,

If the theory is true…I always imagined they’d let Syrio come through for just a moment, mid-morph , and then slide on into the Alchemist. Arya could be looking away, rubbing her eyes, thinking her eyes were deceiving her.. there’s any number of ways they could avoid full recognition.

As for Tom’s showreel , I agree the heavily accented part is obviously supposed to be Russian . Now, knowing he’s multi-lingual, I’m sure he can come up with something indeterminate , as Miltos did for Syrio.

ETA: There are only a couple of brief glimpses of him smiling on the showreel, but it seems he could make it sufficiently wicked looking.

155. Mike
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Jenn Rose:
    A girl likes. A girl swoons.

A man reads. A man lols.

156. KG
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Ed,

Oh you silly Californians.

I’ll take Jaime + any legal age female lol

157. Tar Kidho
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Julian Walker,
    Jim Cross,

Even though it was only fairly mild bitching, I feel so utterly neglected today :-)

158. purplejilly
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho: Julian Walker,Jim Cross, I feel so utterly neglected today :-)

We are so overwhelmed with the unexpected extreme hotness and sexiness of Jaquen that our minds have all gone off to bad fanfiction land, where us ladies (and PACO) are watching Jaquen get into that tub over and over again.. “A man is dirty.. A man needs a bath..”

I guess I never thought of Jaquen as hot in the books, even though the ‘ladies of Harrenhal’ were swooning over him (really, I thought, how much does it take to make a Harrenhal chick swoon?), and I was always focusing more on his mystical side, and his interaction with Arya, and I never really considered his looks that much. Plus the two toned hair seemed Tim Burton-ish in my mind.. Yet when we see the guy they’ve cast, holy cow! It threw a bomb right through our Gates, before we could even react! Sorry Tar, looks like you are the lone Gater for this casting!

159. Weathervane
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

I do wonder if they’ll keep the two-toned hair. As others have noted, it might look a little goofy onscreen.

160. Elena Amici
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Mike: A man reads.A man lols.

epic win ;)

Maxwell James,

i like it.

161. sjwenings
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Seems like a great choice!

He looks like a cross between Brad Pitt and the captain in Firefly, btw.

Oh, and i was looking for that smile from him through the entire showreel, and finally, at the very end we get a good shot of him smiling. His smiling face looks like a jokermask! Exellent!

162. JD
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Lina: Also, this is really off-topic, but he sort of looks like a German Harry Connick, Jr. with a fairer complexion.

Hey, I thought the same thing!!

163. Zack
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

I’m surprised at how few people seem to consider the fact that his hair doesn’t have to have realistic shades.

It’s a fashion choice. It’s not naturally occurring. People in our world dye their hair odd colors too, especially common among people with unconventional lifestyles. Not to mention people from other cultures. Jaqen’s hair is like that. It’s not supposed to be a natural thing in nature in that world either, lol.

It just sometimes feels like there’s this attempt to “tone down” outlandish elements of the writing for screen. As though you want to make everything bland and “normal-looking.”

164. clemintine
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

purplejilly: “A man is dirty.. A man needs a bath..”

“A man asks for a scrub.”

purplejilly: I guess I never thought of Jaquen as hot in the books, even though the ‘ladies of Harrenhal’ were swooning over him (really, I thought, how much does it take to make a Harrenhal chick swoon?,

Neither did I. I mean, between the fantabulous choices of Biter, the Goat, Gregor, and this dude with wacky hair, the choice is obvious. The casting. Changes. Everything.

165. Tar Kidho
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

purplejilly,

Ah well, you might remember I was sceptical about NCW as well at first (and was proven wrong!), so I probably just feel threatened by too-goodlooking men :-)

I’ll do an attempt to jump on the fan-wagon then and say that I’d like to see Jaqen wearing this. Btw, I’m not just talking about the white/red wig, also about the face – hey, he(she?) can change his(her?) face, so why shouldn’t we men hope that at some point D&D will make a gender-related plot-change?! :-)

166. Elena Amici
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

sjwenings: the captain in Firefly

<3 nathan <3

Tar Kidho: I’ll do an attempt to jump on the fan-wagon then and say that I’d like to see Jaqen wearing this. Btw, I’m not just talking about the white/red wig, also about the face – hey, he(she?) can change his(her?) face , so why shouldn’t we men hope that at some point D&D will make a gender-related plot-change?! :-)

lol, that just reminded me of ranma 1/2. you know, that manga with the sex-shifter guy..quoiting: “what does it happen is ranma turns into a girl & gets pregnant & then turns into a boy again?” “i don’t think of this & neither should you”
    lol

167. Porcupine Tree
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

andrea,

This woman just squeed and swooned…

Tar Kidho,

I’ll support your bottom!

purplejilly,

he can throw a bomb through my gates anytime he likes…

168. sjwenings
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

The smile of Jaqen seems important to me. Tom has a nice one with laughing eyes.

169. Suy
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Fantastic! *u*

170. Julian Budke
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Aaaah… We Gerrrrmans take overrrrr Game of Thrrrrrones!

Concerning the accents: I do agree that letting him keep a little German accent wouldn’t hurt.
    It’s really difficult to talk “like a native” so I wouldn’t even try.

171. OldGran
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Ooooooh, he looks creepy. I mean that in a good way.

172. Tar Kidho
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici: that just reminded me of ranma 1/2.

ROFL! Didn’t know this ranma character, but yes, the possibilities of morally disturbing plot twists would be endless, and so fitting for GRRM’s world :-)

173. John W
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Rae,

I can’t wait to hear him speak the lines from the book.

174. Ser Lemon Cakes
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

This is why Nina you are truly our 8th Goddess! *swoons-spies Ros jumping the nearest turnip cart to Harrenhal*

175. Gene
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

David Moore,

It wouldn’t mean anything because Jaqen’s appearance isn’t real anyway. He changed his appearance when he “killed himself”, remember? So your theory is not disproved.

176. Dare
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

DibuK,

You’re right ! Plus Jaqen’s next face looks a lot like Miltos Yerolemou (who played Syrio)

Jaqen was one of my favourite characters too, and this is a great choice, to me

177. Kyle
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Perfect
    Valar Morghulis All men must die.

178. Gene
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Obsidian,

If Wlaschiha is Polish, then the ‘W’ is not silent, it’s an English ‘V’. And there is is rarely a “Wl” combination — it normally would be “Wł”, with the “l-bar” rather than a plain ‘l’. The ‘ł’ (l-bar) is pronounced like an English ‘w’. For example, the Russian name “Vladimir” becomes “Władimir” in Polish, and is pronounced vwah-DEE-meer.

“sch” is a standard German combination of letters that is equivalent to an English “sh”, but it is a combination almost never seen in Polish. My guess is that “Wlaschiha” is a Germanified spelling of a Polish name and is now pronounced either “vlah-SHEE-ha” or “vwah-SHEE-ha”.

179. Rae
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

John W,

He doesn’t read AFFC, but he comes back and does ADWD….he is really the best. I read them all myself. But when I am doing long drives or am bored, I will listen to him read them just because he is so incredible with voice and accents. Such a pleasure.

180. Lala
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Yay! Another eye candy to salivate on.

181. Jordan Healey
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Good choice!

182. paulgude
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

I know what happens in the books, but unless you’ve got an advanced script for season two there’s nothing to say she WON’T recognize him.

That’s the reason I always have my, “This is a theory about the show, not the book,” disclaimer.

183. Paco
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Permalink
  184. paulgude
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James,

Just so.

If they decide to do this, there could be many reasons she doesn’t or can’t follow him to ask questions. It’s already a change to the book if they do it, because Syrio and the Alchemist don’t look alike in the book. So, if they make the change, the could change a lot about that moment.

185. tysnow
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Eine wunderbare Wahl, ganz in der Nahe, wie ich mir vorstellen das Zeichen.

I just decided to get into character there, this is a great choice by Nina, as usual, and Mr. Wlaschiha will become JH. I have a feeling this pick will keep Maisie on top of her game and continue to improve her as a young actor.

186. Dreamlife
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

WOW…he is incredibly good looking. There’s no way they can only use him for one season….!!

A girl drools on her keyboard.

I’m sorry I have nothing intelligent to say about this casting.

187. Franny Bee
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

The look is perfect. Like how he’s got some experience playing a badass :)

188. Dreamlife
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Paco,

lolz—thanks Paco for all the pics!

Paco:
    Obsidian,

YOU NEED JAQEN SMILES?!!!

I ALSO GOT JAQEN SMOLDERS!

GQ JAQEN!

SHIRTLESS JAQEN

MODEL JAQEN

COLLEGE JAQEN

AND… MY DREAM MAN… GEEK JAQEN

THATS RIGHT! JUDGE AWAY… *HATERS GONNA HATE*

189. the blind girl
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Woah
    I’m impressed. He’s gonna be awesome! His eyes are pretty damn intriguing

Dreamlife:
    WOW…he is incredibly good looking.There’s no way they can only use him for one season….!!

A girl drools on her keyboard.

I’m sorry I have nothing intelligent to say about this casting.

THIS!!

190. Obsidian
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Gene,

I know you’re right.. About 10 minutes after posting , I realised I was thinking of some other conversation about pronunciations I’d had in the past..Not the one with my Polish friend ( or I was mixing them up …heh !) .. but since no-one picked up on it ( they were really discussing the pronunciation of Jaqen’s name) ,I just let it pass…Silly me !

I stand happily corrected. :)

191. Mongerel
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

(all sulky) Shoulda cast a person of color

/sarc

Me: Congrats Tom Wlaschiha (places internet lick very gently on that gorgeous lower lip)

192. Bono
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Obsidian,

In Polish it’s even different writing of the name Włażycha. You english spelling persons should spell the beginning Wla- just like Vla-dimir rest is more difficult because its only our form of spelling of it familiar to a voice that gives a nail scratching a board, but not like in the films, its very low like mens low voice and at last cha is like Ha- in Harrenhall spoken by Pycell in episode 8.

193. Maxwell James
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

paulgude,

Yeah. Personally, while I’d be fine with them doing it in the show, I’d be much more irritated with S=J actually being in the books. Even if it were reconcilable from a plot perspective, I think the theory does irrevocable damage to two very enjoyable but distinct characters. But on the show, it would mean more Miltos, which is a good thing.

194. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Really excited about this one, he looks perfect.

195. HumMis1349
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Zack,

I agree, hair dye doesn’t have to look natural.

196. Carrie Meathrell
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Paco,

Oh Paco, don’t do this to me…I was just trying to come to grips with my Sandor/Rory McCann obsession…and now I have to deal with being attracted to Jaqen H’ghar as well? (Let’s not even go into the TV-Attractiveness-Upgrade of Jorah Mormont.)

197. WinnietheWoot
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Heterochromia swooning has ensued.

198. Dreamlife
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

Mongerel,

Mongerel:
    (all sulky) Shoulda cast a person of color

/sarc

Hahaha, too funny :)

199. purplejilly
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,
    That’s actually a pretty cool looking wig, but it does seem pretty feminine. Maybe Arya’s wig in the future!

200. PatD
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

He’s also got that Yin Sanpaku thing going on (when more white of the eye shows at the bottom). When more white shows at the top, it’s usually a thyroid disorder, but when it’s at the bottom, it just looks creepy. From Wiki:

When the bottom part of the white part of the eye known as the sclera is visible it is referred to as ‘Yin Sanpaku’ by the Chinese

In August 1963, macrobiotic pioneer George Ohsawa predicted that President John F. Kennedy would experience great danger because of his sanpaku condition.

People with sanpaku eyes may also be feared to be prone to violent or disordered behaviors

He looks perfect to me. Especially after viewing the showreel. I wonder how much Carice and Nicolaj had to do with that casting?

201. purplejilly
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Epic knows nothing: I love how you are so sure about your fan theory that you had to spoiler-guard it.

heh heh – like if I say it enough, I’ll make it so? Or that’s what I’m trying, anyway.. Osmosis it into D&D’s brain, or even GRRM’s brain!

202. paulgude
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James,

Exactly!

There are a lot of folks who have posted very well-thought-out arguments of why S=J doesn’t work for the books. I never considered it an option. However, when Miltos was cast I was struck with how he looked like the description of the alchemist. When they kept his hair, I realized the idea that they may do S=J for the show may have some merit after all. More Miltos isn’t a bad thing.

203. Assunta
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Wow! He looks perfect!!! Gonna love to see Maise go up against him in scenes.

204. Louisa
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Oh my!!! RAWR.

So… can anyone explain to me who the Liam Neeson-lookalike was that I saw in episode 10? I thought that was Jacken Huuuu*spits*ghar (it’s how I pronounce his name) or any of the 3 shackled prisoners. Or was he just an extra who the directors decided to focus some seconds on?

205. CocoFab
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Awesome!

If Gerard Butler and James McEvoy had a German baby, it would be this guy!

Can’t wait to read Paco’s future tweets regarding Mr. H’ghar now in the flesh…

206. Max from Russia
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

There is NO new POPULAR STAR IN SECOND SEASON ! IT IS NOT GOOD

207. sjwenings
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

Max from Russia: There is NO new POPULAR STAR IN SECOND SEASON ! IT IS NOT GOOD

So what? Most sucessful tv-series does not cast any big names.

208. Mirax
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

Max from Russia,

I’m sure the attractive and (hopefully) talented new cast members of season two will do their fare share to keep the show going, as will the attractive and (definitely) talented returning cast members.

209. Jai
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

Louisa:
    Oh my!!! RAWR.

That would prob. be Rorge. Jaquen Hghar is the hidden one under the hood.

210. Mirax
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 12:00 am | Permalink

Paco,

You are my new best friend! :D
    I can’t decide which one I like best!

With Nina Gold making this choice, I can’t imagine anything disappointing.

211. Michelle R.
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 12:27 am | Permalink

If Arya was a few years older, she would have went with him when he asked. :)

212. Obsidian
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 12:52 am | Permalink

Paco,

Gee, Paco…

You are just a phenomenal research person…when you’re inspired. ;)

213. Jericho
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 1:05 am | Permalink

Perfect for Jaqep

214. Tar Kidho
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 1:42 am | Permalink

Elena Amici,

Thanks Elena! In the examples of topics covered I saw a lot of themes that also appear in ASOIAF, like anti-hero, badass family, chef of iron, domestic abuse, evil feels good, evil twin, improbable weapon user, kill it with fire… :-)

purplejilly: That’s actually a pretty cool looking wig, but it does seem pretty feminine.

Since he was described as slender and fine-featured, I’ve allways imagined Jaqen to have rather feminine features. But maybe that wig is a bit too much even for book-Jaqen, and it would certainly look rediculous on TW ;-) Then again, maybe that would be a good thing, or all we’re gonna hear from you fan-girls (and PACO) is brainless nonsense rivalling the level of a certain Miss Teen South Carolina 2007 contestant!

215. dimensionallyt
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 2:06 am | Permalink

purplejilly

Paco

I am way too excited about this casting, it is the first thing I thought of when I got out of bed this morning and now I see talk of baths and sex and fanfic and the almighty PACO giving us picture links to fanfic fodder!

Seriously, can we have a fansite just for Jaqen already? Please? Like now! Someone?

(PS Toss up on fave fodder between GQ and smile Jaqen http://i54.tinypic.com/2ykgaqe.jpg and http://i55.tinypic.com/347e0lt.jpg)

216. Langkard
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 2:14 am | Permalink

I like the look and his intensity. I wish we had a show reel without the Russian accent, though. Are there other show reels or other clips out there?

Oh, and for those of you who have been wanting Noomi Rapace for various roles, don’t give up! She is currently filming Prometheus, which has Nina Gold as casting director. So Noomi has a strong Nina Gold connection now. Maybe for Arianne Martel? :)

217. Obsidian
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 2:58 am | Permalink

Langkard,

Ripley informed us up thread that there’s a clip on IMDB with him speaking unaccented English. And since he apparently speaks German, English, French , Russian and Italian..I imagine he could do some invented accent for Lorathi..you know, “foreign”.

218. Tar Kidho
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 2:59 am | Permalink

Langkard: I wish we had a show reel without the Russian accent, though. Are there other show reels or other clips out there?

219. Tar Kidho
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 3:03 am | Permalink

Obsidian: And since he apparently speaks German, English, French , Russian and Italian..I imagine he could do some invented accent for Lorathi..you know, “foreign”.

Well, I’m a Dutch-speaking Belgian myself, and although I speak Englisch, German and French well, in all three of those languages, I clearly have a Flemish accent. Then again, I’m not one to easily take on accents or dialects…

220. Obsidian
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 3:06 am | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

I take your point , but the character has an accent anyway, so who’s to say what it is ?

221. Tar Kidho
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 3:18 am | Permalink

Obsidian,

As I said earlier in the thread, the reason I hope it’s some obscure or even fake accent is that otherwise I’ll automatically connect the character to a real-world country, and that would be very odd to me. (in this regard, for me the most recognizable accents in English are Dutch, French, Italian, Spanish, American and Russian, and it would put me off if a certain character or population began speaking with any of those…)

222. Damryn of Dorne
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 3:39 am | Permalink

He should try an old Yiddish accent just to throw some new things into the mix. :D

223. Tessa Leonie
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 5:17 am | Permalink

Bene,

I was not so much commenting on his showreal as on WiC comment that he could use his native accent, plus i’m dutch so i think i know a german from a russian accent :)

224. Michael
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 5:42 am | Permalink

I was really hoping for Christopher Heyerdahl but Tom looks interesting.

225. Dreamlife
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 7:32 am | Permalink

Louisa,

Louisa:
    Oh my!!! RAWR.

Haha, I like how you pronounce it… I pronounce it Jacques-en Haygar.

226. Marco
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 8:19 am | Permalink

Tom è seducente, sarà perfetto per il ruolo, finalmente possiamo goderci un bravo attore che soddisferà il grande pubblico, possiamo solo aspettarci grandi cose:)

227. Rinso
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Ah, a good choice, as far as his face goes (for the rest, I can’t give an opinion since I haven’t watched him in anything). I just hope they keep his red-and-white hair, it’s a very distinguishing feature, but I don’t hold my hopes to high on that…

228. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Tar Kidho:
    Julian Walker,
    Jim Cross,

I really like him, but if you want I can pretend I don’t? ;p

229. world_dancer
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Definitely the right guy for the part. I really look forward to this one.

230. Lina
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 9:10 am | Permalink

Tar Kidho:
    Obsidian,

I agree whole-heartedly. It would be great if they could “create” accents for various regions of the ASOIAF world…or at least do blended accents, or perhaps lesser known dialectal accents. I think the show would have a lot more texture that way and it would suck us in even more, because we wouldn’t constantly associate places in Westeros/Essos with real-world countries. It might not be possible, but hey, I wouldn’t have said creating a unique language was possible either if you’d asked me a year ago. :)

But in terms of inspiration, I’ve always associated the Free Cities with the Mediterranean…mainly Italy, Spain, the former Yugoslavia, Greece and Turkey. There is so much movement among the various ethnic groups in Essos that I think HBO really has a chance to pull influences from many cultures and create a unique feel for the Free Cities. I’m really, really excited to see how they do it (even though that won’t be for a while).

231. dizzy_34
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 9:31 am | Permalink

S=J is a silly theory IMO. They should make the Alchemist bald to come full circle.

232. Eric Bigpicture
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 10:04 am | Permalink

This guy really looks the part, and I certainly hope they ditch the red and white hair. It’s one of those GRRM cheese ball fantasy elements that I just hate in the books, and I don’t think would work at all on screen. Other examples of this phenomenon: crazy dyed beards, hair styled to look like hands and horns, one-breasted dresses, Tyrion cartwheeling and jousting on a pig, etc.

Also, just for the record, I think that S=J is a rather silly theory, with very little evidence to support it, especially compared with more likely (and substantiated) theories like R+L=J.

233. Max from Russia
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Cool ! what about Rorge ?

234. Mormegil
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Max from Russia: Cool ! what about Rorge ?

We already saw him in ep10 of Season 1, some people think he looks like Liam Neeson.

235. Dan
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 10:40 am | Permalink

This is not a real actor. This is the image of Jaqen I had in my head as read ACOK. They have found a way to reach into my head, steal the image and make it solid. This is just spooky.
    Well, he looks about a decade younger than I thought but apart from that…

236. German
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink

myst jaqen looks

The Actor is 38, perfect jaqen age in my opinion…

237. Shinyteapot
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 10:59 am | Permalink

He’s got a great look for the role, interested to see what they do with his hair.

Do we have any news on Rorge and Biter? I know we saw them at the end of series 1 but I didn’t get a good look at them. Featured extras?

238. Luna
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

perfect choice :) very happy!!!

239. TheFacelessMan
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Looking forward to the scene where he touches a finger across his nose letting Arya know how many more she has. :) This guy is perfect.

240. Connie
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 11:46 am | Permalink

I’m so glad I saw someone else voice it in this thread. I was starting to think I’m the only person who doesn’t think Jaqen is Syrio.

I’ve always pronounced it as Jza-ken personally… Interesting to hear it said though. I like the look of him. Slightly creepy but sexy. Alluring in that ‘I’m gonna regret this’ kinda way.

241. Lina
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

I was reading through all the posts on here about how people pronounce Jaqen’s name, and I find myself highly outnumbered. I’ve always pronounced his first name like “JAKE-en.” And the last…something like “hih-GAHR.” Can’t wait to see HBO do it!

This casting is awesome. A day later and I’m still REALLY excited. My ONLY ONLY concern is that they will dress him in a terrible wig. I hope the design team can keep him looking “unique” without giving him a two-toned wig that looks like it came bundled with a Halloween costume at Party City. :(

242. Elena Amici
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Paco,

paco, you know i love you, don’t you? (not in THAT way. in the other)

243. andrea
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Eric Bigpicture: Lastly, since House Gatewatch seems to be (mercifully) silent on this casting, let me just say that Tom Wlaschiha’s ears are way too wrinkly and now the whole series is ruined forever and I’m not even going to watch.

and the creamy silky tie??? that´s just wrong

244. Patrick
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Has anyone seen the 16-bit Game of Thrones RPG on Collegehumor? Definitely worth checking out!

245. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Connie,

You are not alone. I never believed in this theory. If it turns out to be true, it just lessens Syrio’s sacrifice.

246. Epic Awesomesauce
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Alexander Dubrovsky,

The books aren’t finished. We don’t know if Syrio is dead. We may very well never know. There’s no proof either way. Not that I agree with any theories–theories are fan fiction.

And regarding ‘sacrifice’, season 1 only hints at the concept of loyalty but it doesn’t follow through. Septa Mordane’s head on a pike only suggest the possibility. Her death comes as a shock and I don’t believe she would immediately come to the conclusion her life is in danger. But at least she is part of house Stark, she’s from the North. Syrio, an outsider, not from the North, is probably paid by the hour, or something like that. He can step in and out of the politics at any time. He might like Arya a great deal, and he might put his life on the line for her, but I don’t know we can know if he would give up his life for her; not from the show or the books. He’s more of a mercenary who evidently shares the sense of right and wrong with the audience.

I guess sometimes being vague and incomplete in storytelling works in your favor. GRRM is against fanfic but he doesn’t mind allowing wild theories to develop for years.

247. KG
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Patrick,

Fantastic link! Thanks :D

248. TPFKA Thoros of Myr
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

clemintine,

“That doesn’t mean they can’t add a new scene with him *ahem* interacting with other characters.”

hmmm. But how is Ros going to be at Harrenhall?

249. paulgude
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Connie,

I can’t speak for the other folks, but…

I never thought it was the case in the books. I only see it as something D&D *might* be doing in the show for purposes of character consolidation.

250. purplejilly
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho: I clearly have a Flemish accent

You are from the land of Flem?? *snicker*

okay, sorry, I know that was a bad joke but it’s one of those days..

251. purplejilly
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

dimensionallyt,
    Two ASOIAF characters that I NEVER considered sexy in the books, but that HBO changed my mind on once they were cast:
    1. Viserys
    2. Jaquen

It’s nice having these little surprises!

252. dizzy_34
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

OT- So many “Epic” user names now, I was wondering where Epic The Balls went? That one made me laugh.

253. Langkard
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Obsidian:
    Langkard,

Tar Kidho: Just keep on watching – after the Russian-accent clip, there’s a bunch where he speaks German, but also one where he speaks English with a slight German accent (after about 5/8, where it says ‘Property of Brideshead Production’ across the image)

I didn’t watch enough of the show reel, it seems. Thanks for that information!

And yes, I expect he can produce many varied accents with his language skills. That’s what I’m hoping to see, anyway. I agree with what someone said earlier that an accent slightly different than Syrio’s would fit him better, since he’s a Faceless Man pretending to be from Lys.

254. Langkard
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Gene: All men must die.

He was born in Dohna, in the Sächsische Schweiz-Osterzgebirge administrative district of Saxony, Germany. A famous German operatic baritone named Ekkehard Wlaschiha was born nearby in the same district in Pirna.

That area of Saxony has many Sorbs (also called Wends). The Sorbs are ethnically related to the other West Slavic groups like the Czechs, Slovaks and Poles, but are as distinct from them as they are from each other. Wlaschiha is most likely a Sorb name, not a Germanized Polish name.

255. Gernot Kramper
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

he is the second German Actor, first was Sibel Kekilli as Shae – great Choice, he is the right guy for this sinister man

256. NewJeffCT
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

For those thinking of how Jaqen is pronounced… Roy Dotrice of the audiobooks pronounces it “Jay-kin”

Mike Lee, on the Feast for Crows audibook, pronounces it “Jack-in”

257. Bro
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

I like, I like a lot. The reaction to this casting has been hilarius to read. But I’m guessing I won’t be the only one refering to him as Tom alone cause I’ve been trying to pronounce that surname under my breath for the last few minutes and have utterly failed to make it sound right!

258. Damryn of Dorne
    Posted August 5, 2011 at 3:55 am | Permalink

NewJeffCT,

Jack-In is how I pronounced it in my head :P

259. Tar Kidho
    Posted August 5, 2011 at 4:31 am | Permalink

purplejilly,

Oh, that was low Jilly, I only have this to say to you: Flemer Morghulis!

260. nitpicker
    Posted August 5, 2011 at 5:40 am | Permalink

Pronounciation from a German POV: Ja’ ken – ha-gharr

261. purplejilly
    Posted August 5, 2011 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Tar Kidho: purplejilly, Oh, that was low Jilly, I only have this to say to you: Flemer Morghulis!

Translation – All Men Must Sneeze…

262. Irene
    Posted August 6, 2011 at 9:02 am | Permalink

i’m really looking forward to season 2!!
    would like to suggest Rufus Sewell as Edmure Tully. Take a look at his pictures at http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/fullmonty/482/rufus.htm and don’t tell me he can’t pass off as Richard Madden’s uncle!! the curly hair, those large expressive eyes. plus, he’s a few years younger than Michelle Fairley, so he can definitely be her younger brother and heir of Riverrun! i just keep imagining Rufus with those curly locks when i read about Edmure, esp when he is standing forlornly in front of some besieged castle with something around his neck.

263. Damryn of Dorne
    Posted August 6, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

First impression, just going off his publicity headshot…

He seems to have a distinctive look on each side of his face. I suppose he is handsome enough judging by the ladies opinions above. Although I have not seen his showreel, I will trust in the casting lady and look forward to his appearance in season 2 :)

264. Sybeli of Asshai
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Caedes,

I’ll CRY if they change Jaqen’s hairdo!

265. irene
    Posted September 27, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

i guess they don’t keep the red-white hair after all:/ check this out:
    ”We also know that they have been filming Harrenhal scenes at a newly-built castle set, near Banbridge. Supposedly Tom Wlaschiha has been spotted on set as Jaqen, sporting brownish hair with a blonde streak. Others seen on set include Gregor, the Tickler, Polliver, Wease, and Tywin.” i found this in here by coincidence:D : http://gameofthronessite.com/?p=1872

266. Lisa
    Posted May 10, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Sandra Gomes,

Yeah definitely! He works so well for Jaqen because he is so handsome in such an odd way. The book describes him as being oddly handsome as well so he is perfect!

1. [...] news continues to filter in for season 2 of Game of Thrones (which began filming last week).  In a Winter-Is-Coming exclusive,  it has been  comfirmed that German actor, Tom Wlaschiha, will play the mysterious [...]

2. [...] | winter-is-coming.net Categorías: Cine y TVTags: game of [...]

3. [...] The German actor will play Jaqen H’ghar in Season 2 of the HBO fantasy series.As described by Winter-Is-Coming:Jaqen H’ghar is one of a group of criminals that is being taken to the Wall by Yoren along with [...]

4. [...] Thrones cast: the German actor has been cast as assassin Jaqen H’ghar!Game of Thrones fansite Winter is Coming first reported this news. Jaqen is one of the criminals being taken to the Wall along with Arya [...]

5. [...] Game of thrones. Exclusive: Tom Wlaschiha is Jaqen H’ghar – Winter Is Coming Nooooo what is [...]

6. [...] HBO confirmed to Access Hollywood on Wednesday, news first reported by “GOT” fan site Winter-Is-Coming.net. PLAY IT NOW: Comic-Con 2011: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Producers — ‘There Will Be [...]

7. [...] Sursa (mulţumim, bai3tzash!) Aboneaza-te:newsletterRSStwitter Trimite mai departe pe:messengertwitterfacebook function donsr() { $('tvblog_feed_email').name = 'email_disabled'; $('tvblog_feed_form').onsubmit(); $('tvblog_feed_form').submit(); $('tvblog_feed_email').name = 'email'; } [...]

8. [...] Winter is Coming. Tags: A Clash of Kings, Canción de Hielo y Fuego, Choque de Reyes, Game of Thrones, Juego de [...]

9. [...] first reported by fan site Winter is Coming, the actor — whose credits include Valkyrie [...]

10. [...] German actor Tom Wlaschiha will play Jaqen H’ghar, HBO confirmed to Access Hollywood on Wednesday, news first reported by “GOT” fan site Winter-Is-Coming.net. [...]