Quick Hits: Nikolaj! GRRM! D&D! Oona! And… “Dark Side of the Throne?”
By Fire And Blood on in Casting, Filming, Humor, News, Press, Speculation.
  • First and fastest, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau will be doing a LIVE CHAT TODAY via HBO Connect at 1:30PM EST. Hopefully if you’re interested in joining in, you read this notice in time. Run, don’t walk! There’s a Great Dane to catch!
  • Oona Chaplin, granddaughter of Charlie Chaplin, let it slip in a recent interview that she has a role in Game of Thrones. We’re still wondering what role she got. She’s got that Rhoynish cast, neh? Dunno if THIS Spanish interview gives any extra details. Que? UPDATE: Ran from Westeros, bless his soul, tickled some of the HBO powers-that-be with his magic ponytail and they let slip that Oona will be playing the role of Jeyne. Now if only we knew which Jeyne…
  • Dan Anthony of Authors@Google had a live streaming interview with George R.R. Martin a short time ago, and wouldn’t you know it—that sucker is up on You Tube! Enjoy!.
  • Mo Ryan is at it again! All you MoFos out there, gather at the feet of “AOL Artemis” and read another interesting interview. There’s sexposition talk! Mo Knows Thrones!
  • Aye, lads! The Belfast Telegram has a short article about filming beginning once more at the Paint Hall. Dave and D.B. say some stuff. Well, not much. But you should read this. It will take nine seconds!
  • The Hollywood Reporter has a small flurry of interviews regarding the 2011 Emmys; among their victims are David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. Check it!
  • Paul Inglis, Supervising Art Director for Game of Thrones, is interviewed by Flickering Myth. He briefly talks about his work with GoT, as well as the upcoming Alien “prequel” Prometheus.
  • LOL. Here. Enjoy a 16-Bit Game of Thrones video parody. Not Safe for Work (language and dorkiness).
  • NYMag’s The Vulture asks if Jay-Z and Kanye West’s new album “Watch the Throne” is secretly about Game of Thrones. I say thee nay! (Even though the maker of this video for “No Church in the Wild” would tend to suggest otherwise.) But hey, it’s funny to speculate that GoT could have its very own Wizard of Oz-meets-Dark Side of the Moon moment. And if you’re too young to get that reference, well, screw you.
  • Looks like the Blackfish is still a non-entity in season 2, at least according to Ran at Westeros; GRRM states he’s seen all the audition tapes for every role, and has not seen any Blackfish. So more than likely we’ll see him in season 3, or season 4, or… or he’s just gonna be replaced. Quick, someone get Blackfish Blues a valium!
  • Are you blue about the Blackfish? Missing The Pointy End (whose creator, apparently, only works ten weeks out of the year)? Or just in dire need of a laugh? Zombiepocalypse did a ‘Thronecentric comic to tide you over. You can thank me later.
  • Lastly, yes, it was me, flubulicious FaBio who accidentally posted the weekly poll a day early, not Hear Me Roar. He’d never throw me under the bus and blame me though. You have a problem with this? I’ll fight you all!

FaB

1. Dreyesbo
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 7:56 am | Permalink

No extra details on the Spanish interview.

2. -TheHound-
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:01 am | Permalink

No more hints in the spanish interview, only speculations about Onna´s role.

3. Michelle
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:03 am | Permalink

Currently rearranging my lunch schedule so I can make the NCW chat. My boss is gonna love me! ;)

4. MarkThrones
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:32 am | Permalink

Blackfish probably has been completely deleted. But for the roles of Edmure and Hoster Tully? Anyone know anything?

5. Lina
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:44 am | Permalink

The Spanish interview basically says the same thing we’ve all already discussed – that she’s cast and that the female roles remaining are Ygritte, Jeyne, Meera, Alayaya and Quaithe. Sadly no further details. :( On an unrelated note to Oona, I love that in Spanish, Hallyne is called “Hallyne Lord El Piromante.” Badass!

I noticed FaB’s note about the Rhoynish in the article…could Oona be playing someone from Dorne? Arianne? I can’t see her in S2…too much stuff to get in already. Plus, nothing that we see in Dorne in the books is of any consequence until Joffrey dies. Unless they start showing us Dorne to cast Doran as a chessmaster earlier than the books do.

Another thought…could she be Pia? Not sure if the character is necessary, but if they’re going to use some sexposition to get through Harrenhal, they’ll need at least one prostitute/camp follower around. I’m feeling they’ll keep Ros in King’s Landing to be the whore on call there (and possibly fill the Alayaya role).

And finally…BLACKFISH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. :( If he’s not in Season 2, I don’t see why they’d introduce him later. :( :( :(

6. The Winter Rose
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:48 am | Permalink

I think I have it! I think I know who Oona is cast as! She’s clearly going to be Roz’s long lost sister, Rochelle. Season 2 is going to feature a whole new subplot secretly entitled “Rochelle, Rochelle: A young girl’s strange, erotic journey from Hornwood to Hellholt”. It is known.

7. Nick Larter
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:56 am | Permalink

If it’s a sexposition role then the other option, if not Pia, might be the captain’s daughter – Theon’s would be saltwife

8. Nick Larter
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:03 am | Permalink

I was thinking if Oona Chaplin’s is a sexposition role, then instead of Pia there’s also the captain’s daughter that Theon spends time with one the way home – would be just the one scene.

The thing with Quaithe is she always wears a mask so they could have anybody doing Quaithe.

9. Marta
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:10 am | Permalink

Poor Blackfish! Get him on the show, for Seven’s sake!!!

10. Blackfish Blues
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Meh, I’m getting Zen about the Blackfish. It’s not over until it’s over, that is until GRRM or D&D explicitly say he’s not in S2. If he’s not in S2, I’ll start wishing we have an awesome S2 so we’ll have a S3 and maybe a Blackfish. Lina, he may be very well in S3 or S4 when a certain event happens. (BTW, have you visited the Whiny Blackfishies yet?)

Still, I am indeed depressed by the whole thing. Not that the Blackfish is all of ASOIAF for me, but the continued negativity and lack of communication with The Powers That Be has influenced my outlook and I’m getting a bit passive-aggressive and bottom-unsupporting, for which I apologise. ADWD is sitting under my bed, barely opened…

11. Valorna
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:22 am | Permalink

casting : + Sam Riley.

12. j52y
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:31 am | Permalink

I do think it’s rather odd that no one has straight up said that Blackfish won’t be in season 2. I mean, Martin wrote an episode for the season! He should know if Blackfish will be in it (or, at least, I, should think he would). Why, then, would he say, “I haven’t seen an audition tape” instead of just saying “Guys, sorry, but no Blackfish this season.” I mean, I have no hope of Blackfish being in the season, but his responses are odd.

13. Patius Prime
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Well there is one female Dornish person we meet in the second book – Elia Martel from Dany’s visions in the House of the Undying. I hope the show does that scene justice because it is easily my favorite chapter in Clash.

14. Who Is Jacopo Belbo?
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:47 am | Permalink

well she is definitely too old to play Meera … but i can see them going with a moderately “ethnic” look for the reeds.

i have always pictured meera reed looking like a teenaged Thandie Newton … if anybody can remember back that far.

as for Oona she play wife of Dominic West’s character on this new BBC show called The Hour (which is pretty darn good actually) … her part is small but she seems to do a pretty good job.

i can defnitely see her playing somebody from dorne maybe? maybe quarth? other than that i got no idea really ….

15. Lina
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Blackfish Blues,

I have visited and signed, but I didn’t see my entry come up. If it doesn’t work it might be this computer, and I will retry when I get on my laptop at home. :) Glad to see Blackfish getting some love!

I suppose you’re right…they could still introduce him later on. They’re going to NEED someone to man Riverrun when Robb/Edmure go to the wedding. Who else will do it? Random castellan? I guess it would be easy enough to edit his entrance into the story. I still fear the worst though. If we’re at Riverrun this season meeting the Tullys and he’s not around, I’m just afraid that means he’ll never be. :(

Ahhh, I really like the suggestion that Oona might be Elia. I forgot she was in Dany’s vision. That would be a really small role, but also a really cool one. And Oona didn’t say how big or small her role is. She definitely could pull of Dornish, though I imagine Elia a bit more frail and timid. Oona seems to have a real presence.

Ironically, she’s actually a LOT like what I imagined Asha to look like. Imagining her with cropped hair, pants/jerkin and a throwing axe, she’s almost exactly the Asha in my mind. But alas, we already have our…Yara :( (no slight intended to Gemma Whelan, as I’m sure she’ll do great).

16. Alestoteles
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 10:04 am | Permalink

The Spanish interview doesn’t say anything else about Oona. But it claims that Gwendoline Christie will be Brienne

17. purplejilly
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Lina: They’re going to NEED someone to man Riverrun when Robb/Edmure go to the wedding. Who else will do it?

The way it’s been going for the poor Blackfish, they will probably just send the King’s Landing Butler over there to run it.. Poor Catelyn, no dad, no uncle.. While (Asha)Yara will be awash in ‘Nuncles’.. Gahh

18. Blackfish Blues
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Lina,
    thx, I hope you manage to sign like J52y did (thx again) to the ugliest fanlist in the world. Anyway, even if they show the Tullys and Brynden is not there, I’m sure there’s a lot of ways to bring him in later with any excuse – he was away fighting, he became a septon, he was on holiday in an all-male resort…

purplejilly,

19. OhDanyBoy
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Alestoteles,

Yes, we’ve known about Gwendoline for quite some time.

20. Lina
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 10:35 am | Permalink

purplejilly,

Hahaha, KLB to RRB? At least we know he has the necessary experience! He better brush up on his archery though so he can fill in for Brynden when Edmure has his epic fail at Hoster’s funeral. ;)

21. Louisa
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 10:37 am | Permalink

We might be reading too much into this. For all we know she could just be a back-up dancer or a servant or one of them girls at Chataya’s playhouse.

22. Lina
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Louisa,

Very true, she could just be in one scene without any lines. But intuition leads me to believe she’ll be a minor character who gets a few scenes. I think as of now I’m thinking Quaithe or Pia/a Pia replacement.

But if she is confirmed as Elia I will go crazy (in the good way), because it will give us some idea of HOW they’re approaching the HOTU and it will suggest that they will need to cast someone as the shade of Rhaegar as well! And yes, Elia is in the vision Dany has of her brother.

23. Shinyteapot
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Love the idea of Oona playing Elia. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they go for a Mediterranean look for Dorne. If not, I think either Quaithe or a more background role (Pia? Kyra? Random, probably killed spearwife? Third whore from the left?) is likely, though it is possible she could play Meera if she’s been aged up (though personally I hope she’s not).

24. Louisa
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Lina:
    Louisa,

Very true, she could just be in one scene without any lines.But intuition leads me to believe she’ll be a minor character who gets a few scenes.I think as of now I’m thinking Quaithe or Pia/a Pia replacement.

But if she is confirmed as Elia I will go crazy (in the good way), because it will give us some idea of HOW they’re approaching the HOTU and it will suggest that they will need to cast someone as the shade of Rhaegar as well!And yes, Elia is in the vision Dany has of her brother.

You saw my post before I edited it :D I got Elia and Ellaria Sand mixed up that’s why I was confused when you said she was in Dany’s visions.

I’m quite excited as to how they’ll show the RW That, and the whole House of the Undying Ones scene really. It was one of my favorite chapters in the book.

25. Louisa
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Lina:
    Louisa,

26. Louisa
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Eek mods, can someone please delete my first post? I wasn’t able to use the spoiler tag. Sorry for the hassle!

27. Champ
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 11:08 am | Permalink

28. Yellow Dog
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 11:14 am | Permalink

•Looks like the Blackfish is still a non-entity in season 2,

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

29. kg1982
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 11:29 am | Permalink

I’m thinking that she’s probably going to be playing Ms. Westerling. The only two parts still not cast for 20 something actresses would be Jeyne and Ygritte. Ygritte has more of an Irish look, but you could see them playing up the fact that Jeyne’s free cities/ Essos ancestry. They really need to give Jeyne an actual personality because she does play such a huge role in Robb’s downfall.

30. purplejilly
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Blackfish Blues: that’s it! The KBL was the Blackfish under cover! That’s why they are keeping it secret. :D

That would be a good twist! He gathers intel on what is going on at KL’s all the time by masquerading as the innocent Butler, when all along, he’s the Blackfish, hiding, plotting and looking for ways to bring the Tullys back to the Throne!

He didn’t intervene and save Ned, his dear niece’s husband, but he did that on purpose, to build sympathy for Robb, so we can get Robb on the Iron Throne! (Plus he’s mad about the whole Jon Snow thing – how dare Ned cheat or do something shady to the honor of a Tully? Family, Duty, Honor!)

Robb will be the King in the North and then the Seven Kingdoms! That’s what they get for saying “and the Riverlands” as if they are an afterthought!!

31. Lina
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 11:38 am | Permalink

KLB backwards is BLK.

BLKfish.

32. purplejilly
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Champ: Why is FaB posting “news” about the Blackfish that we’ve known for over a month already? Ran isn’t giving us an update, he’s just repeating something we all heard a while ago.

You have to remember FaB lives close to LA or something – he’s giving us the “E” weekly Update version of things, which includes retelling stuff we already know, but said in a dramatic and handsome fashion. If you could see him as he posted, you’d get the glamour and excitement. :P

33. Charles
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Nada importante en el articulo en espanol.

Which means that article is quite useless.

34. purplejilly
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Lina,
    Brilliant!

35. The Rabbit
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 11:54 am | Permalink

purplejilly: You have to remember FaB lives close to LA or something – he’s giving us the “E” weekly Update version of things, which includes retelling stuff we already know, but said in a dramatic and handsome fashion.If you could see him as he posted, you’d get the glamour and excitement. :P

This!

lol

36. Deathbyhappy
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Chaplin es cliente de Troika Agency, la misma que representa a Richard Madden (Robb Stark), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Carice Van Houten (Melisandre de Asshai) y Hannah Murray (Gilly).

I find this interesting, that she is from the same agency as these actors already cast. Maybe that means she will end up with a slightly bigger role? Could she not be Arianne Martell? We know the Myrcella is sent to Dorne in this season, perhaps we get to see her welcome party. They already talked about a lot of lovey dovey stuff this season, perhaps they plan to play up her budding relationship with Ser Arys Oakheart? We could see them meet in this season and perhaps show their further relationship in the next season leading up to his death in AFFC. This would give us an eye down in Dorne earlier than in the books, making the coming of the Red Viper and the events of book 4 less confusing to a tv audience. Otherwise Dorne just kind of gets dropped into a later season and theres a lot of (s)exposition to take care of

That’s just my 2 cents, but I feel it makes sense

37. big swerg
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Off topic: I cut the tip of my pinky fingure at work yestarday,it was pretty bad and looked like some one was starting to flay the skin off, now i know how theon felt!

38. darrylzero
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

I thought the Blackfish news was news because before GRRM hadn’t seen all the audition tapes yet, so the his saying he hadn’t seen one for the Blackfish was less final before.

39. Blackfish Blues
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

purplejilly,
    Lina,
    perfect! Brilliant! I’ll look at the KLB with new eyes.

40. j52y
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

One way of explaining Blackfish’s absence is saying that he’s still in the Vale. Then, he could come to Riverrun in season 3 for Hoster’s funeral. I still don’t like it, but it’s better than no Blackfish!

41. Starkgirl
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

I suspect Blackfish is going to play a more important role later on, so I do think they can find a way to work the character in if necessary and introduce him in season 3 instead.

42. Jambo
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

That Google Authors video was pretty interesting – some good questions, and George always gives good responses, funny at times.

43. andrea
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Blackfish Blues,

I didn´t know you had made the site for the Blackfish. Nice.

44. andrea
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Sorpresa! yo creía que nadie aquí hablaba castellano…

45. chris77
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

I think they might fast Oona as Missandei…

46. Steve
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Damn this chat, you need to send all your personal information to HBO via facebook and allow them to post on your wall.
    Seriously, f**k that, I hope they kill facebook on November 5th

47. purplejilly
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

big swerg,
    OMG That’s really awful, and I am so sorry you had to have that happen! :( Hope your pinky heals quickly!!

48. Sean Fan
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Poor NCW! There’s already 877 questions posted and the count is rising fast and he’s only answered 12 so far! Can’t believe one person wasted their time (and his) and asked him what time it was! LOL! I was thrilled to hear his answer to this question:

Q:
    Emil Wahl
    “When reading the script (or book) wich scene were you most looking forward to shoot?”
    A:
    Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
    “Hi Emil when I read the scene where Jaime meets Ned Stark in the throne room I got pretty excited. and sean bean was amazing to work with”

49. Thiago Slash
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

I think Oona would do a pretty good Meera Reed.

50. Rinso
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

[sarcasm]Awesome. Just wonderful.[/sarcasm] No Tullys whatsoever. I’m curious how they’ll explain the Red Wedding without Edmure. Oh well. At least we had Ros.

51. andrea
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Blackfish Blues,

One of your drawings (very good BTW) looks like John Lynch… did you do it on purpose?
    Victor Reinier´s smile is just Brynden´s smile to me.
    Although I love, love, love Clint Eastwood, it was never easy smile, even less when he was young. Gabriel Byrne (I adore him) also has a beautiful smile, he not use it much, but has.
    That portrait by Amok is wonderful! I never seen it before.
    Thanks to you for the website.

52. purplejilly
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Blackfish Blues,
    Oohhh My gawd, now I have some seriously great fanfiction about the Blackfish disguised as the KLB rolling around in my head! LOL (Varys knows who he is, of course. So does Petyr, who wouldn’t mind seeing Catelyn as Queen Regent. Hoster is too sick to care, and Cat doesn’t know, because she hasn’t been to court for years!! hahaha)

53. andrea
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

chris77: I think they might fast Oona as Missandei…

no, please, please, no… let that sweet child remains a child.

54. Yellow Dog
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Is the transcript of the chat with Nick going to be posted somewhere more accessible than Facebook? I don’t see anything about it on HBO’s GOT page.

55. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the show Oona. I hope you have been cast as a “player”. Can`t wait to see you work.

56. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Oh yeah! “no church in the wild” video……….sweet!

57. Lina
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

andrea,

Eres espanola? Voy a Barcelona in tres semanas. No hablo ningun catalan y solo un poquito de castellano (hablo mejor el italiano), y por eso debo repasar. Por favor corrige mis errores!

I am happy we are a diverse bunch. :)

58. Sean Fan
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Well I guess 50 questions answered out of over 2400 is better than nothing! He did a great job and I love his humor! Nice chat!

59. OldGran
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

60. purplejilly
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

OldGran: Nicolaj Coster-Waldau said that his favorite color is blue, but he meant to say Indigo. It is known.

It is known. He will help me rally the forces against FaB and his unjust quest to annihilate the color Indigo.

61. andrea
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Lina,

Qué placer poder escribir en mi propio idioma, sueno mucho menos estúpida!!! gracias Lina!!!
    No, no soy española, soy Argentina. Barcelona es una ciudad hermosísima, tenés mucha suerte. Y no te preocupes por el catalán, hablan igualmente en castellano y seguro en inglés también. Te corrijo lo que escribiste y podés preguntarme lo que quieras pero tengo que concentrarme porque te voy a hacer hablar como argentina. Te digo que está bastante bien escrito todo eh?, pero allí voy:
    1. los que hablan inglés tienen que acostumbrarse a la ñ: sería española“.
    2. en tres semanas
    3. No hablo nada de catalán

Sorry, I get excited and wrote everything in spanish. Did you understand the first part?
    I also speak a little italian.

62. sjwenings
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Once again great to see NCWs enthusiasm for his role, the show, and the rabid fanbase.

63. saluk
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Interesting comments from David and Dan in that emmy thing about why some things got changed (especially regarding the battle). Seems like they just didn’t plan properly for it for the most part. Hopefully the battles in season 2 are better planned – although I have a strong feeling they will be, since they have the experience of making the mistake the first time. At least now we know that they literally did cut the battle to make room for a 9 minute drinking game scene :)

Can’t believe GoT was D+D’s first tv job.

64. andrea
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

NCW is a saint. Very nice and patient guy. I think he wants to be the fan´s favorite.

65. Lala
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

What about Oona as Lyanna? :) We may get a ToJ scene… :D (a girl can dream)
    But seriously, they could stick the ToJ in the House of the Undying, that wouldn’t feel off and Dany wouldn’t know what the hell to make of it.

66. OhDanyBoy
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Permalink
  67. OhDanyBoy
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

I strongly suspect this is Jeyne Westerling – seems way too old for Poole – since Poole should be able to roughly pass for Arya’s age.

Posted August 12, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

saluk:
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Can’t believe GoT was D+D’s first tv job.

Yeah, it’s sad to think about “what could have been”. I also heard The Mountain was supposed to be in that battle scene, cutting people down left and right.

Posted August 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

OhDanyBoy:
    Access Hollywood just confirmed Oona will be playing Jeyne!

I’m not super pumped about this Oona girl. Doesn’t look like Jeyne in my head. Doesn’t look like someone Robb would fall madly in love with, or break his oath for… But we’ll see.

70. OhDanyBoy
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Lex,

FYI – you quoted me by accident above and my spoiler-blocks disappeared.

71. Leila
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

I looooooooooooooooooooooooove Nikolaj! I wish I could met him. :((((

72. Mirri Maz
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Hmmm i thought Jeyne to be someone blonde and closer to the look of Cersei and the other Lannisters,

maybe they want to emphasis the magic part of her relation with Robb and want some who looks a bit more wicked.

Also the article doesn’t mention her last name so she could be Jeyne Poole and they can make her stay in Winterfell and that how she ends up with Ramsay.

73. Mirri Maz
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

So sorry could someone spoiler that text, i clicked the quote button by mistake.

74. Blackfish Blues
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

andrea,
    thx! No, all my portraits were done without a model, just from my head; I learned about Lynch’s existence later.

purplejilly,
    it’s practically canon now. :D But this does NOT mean we don’t want the Blackfish anymore in the show, do you hear us, D&D?

75. fancySansa
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

oona is jeyne westerling. hm.
    come on robb, you can do better than her. =)

76. knowsomething
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

77. DrSwordopolis
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

It’s not Jeyne Poole (that’s a book one role for one, she’s way too old for two), so it’s gotta be Jeyne Westerling… unless there’s another (important) Jeyne I’m forgetting… Jeyne Darry, wife of Cleos\Alton?. If it is JW (heh), that certainly confirms that expected storyline change!

Lex: ut this Oona girl. Doesn’t look like Jeyne in my head. Doesn’t look like someone Robb would fall madly in love with, or break his oath for… But we’ll see.

Well, Jaime describes her as something definitely not worth losing a kingdom over, anyways… but she looks smoking hot to me. Although a little Dornish.

78. darquemode
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

When I first looked at the photos of Oona I thoght she was cast to play Jeyne Westerling. Even if I did not picture her exactly like that.

The generic phsyical description is almost spot on for Oona.
    - Shy, pretty but not too pretty.
    - Slender posture.
    - Chestnut brown curls, heart-shaped face and brown eyes.

It certainly fits her perfectly with the possible exception of heart-shaped face….

Ruing out the minor roles and Meera (aged up) … it really has to be Westerling. Unless they age up Poole and that doesn’t make sense at all.

Oona is very good in BBC’s The Hour, but I am still surprised she got the Jeyne Westerling role honestly….

79. Giant'sbaby
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Rinso:

Lol wouldn’t be surprised to see Ros at the Red Wedding

80. Kingthlayer
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

Poole is actually closer to Sansa’s age – the arya/poole thing only tricks the folks who never know either of them and even then it fooled fewer than they thought…

81. Zack
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

*I* think that girl looks worth risking a kingdom for, anyway.

82. Josh Parker
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

I’m happy that we’re actually going to see more of Robb this season, and he’ll get his own subplot. That’s what I’m taking away from this.

83. wrongs30men
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

@Mirri Maz, please elaborate on how Oona being darker complected and not blonde makes her look more “wicked.”

I await this explanation with bated breath.

84. mummer
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

saluk: At least now we know that they literally did cut the battle to make room for a 9 minute drinking game scene :)

I know you put a smiley and all, but really… no, they didn’t “literally” do that. They had to cut the battle for other reasons, and then they had to come up with something to fill out the remaining time.

And I don’t see how you get “they didn’t plan properly” out of that interview, either. They said they didn’t figure out that they didn’t have enough time or money for the battle until the last minute… but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they could’ve done it if they’d planned better, it just means they could’ve figured out sooner that it wasn’t possible. Planning will help you make the best use of what you’ve got, but sometimes what you’ve got just isn’t enough.

85. Mirri Maz
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

wrongs30men,

it was more about her general look rather than her being a brunette, i imagined Jeyne to be pretty, simple and innocent looking. From the pics i’ve seen, Oon looks a bit more wicked and could have a bit more edge to her which is why i mentioned the fact that Jeyne (from my understanding of the books) is suspected to have used some sort of magic to seduce Robb.

86. userj
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Yay a PoC is cast! For ONCE! :)

I was reminded by teh tumblerz that Jayne’s dad (or was it grandpa?) is Braavosi which could mean pretty much any race. So it’s even bookcanon!

Mirri Maz,

Only if you mean the magic between her thighs. BOOM!

Seriously though do you really think Robb needs magic to be seduced? He’s a 16 year old boy.

87. wrongs30men
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Mirri Maz,

What about her “general look” is wicked? Piece it out for me. I’m asking you to examine these statements because they are actually pretty inflammatory — you are basically insinuating that non-white features don’t look “innocent.”

As for the magic seduction, I would love some text to support the idea that Jeyne did any such thing. It sounds like a fringe theory to me — Robb’s mistakes were very human, the passions of youth, which is why they are ultimately so tragic. If you want magical seduction, look to Melisandre.

88. DrSwordopolis
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Zack:
    *I* think that girl looks worth risking a kingdom for, anyway.

89. wrongs30men
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Permalink
  90. darquemode
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Here are 2 more “plain-looking” black and white photos of her – one with no make-up and one with subtle make-up.

91. Josh Parker
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

userj,

Um…Nonzo Anozie is a PoC. Not to mention it’s really annoying when people can’t seem to look past the actors’ races.

92. tysnow
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

IGN is claiming Oona has been cast as Jeyne.

IGN Link

93. Josh Parker
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

tysnow,

Little late. Sorry.

94. Mirri Maz
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

wrongs30men,

i think you’re taking things a bit too seriously, this has nothing to do with her complexion nor her race (who the fuck mentioned anything about that???). in my mind she has a look of someone mischievous, a bit like when you look at Natalie Dormer and see someone who has that spark in their eyes (she can be nice and but she can also be deadly or a bit mischievous).

The theory about magic is (like i already said) something from my general understanding of the books and i’m not even going to dispute the fact that it can be wrong. i read the books a while ago but from what i remember someone mentions in the books that her mother had used magic/descends from someone who used to dabble in magic and there was a mention of potions and such.

Also i love the fact that you created some race thing out of thin air which is totally wrong for many reasons, the least of them is that i’m Middle Eastern and grew up in the Middle East all my life thus i’m non-white myslef.

95. wrongs30men
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Mirri Maz,

Regarding the magic, you’re probably remembering incorrectly. I believe the insinuation is that Jeyne’s mother prevented her from getting pregnant by Robb by giving her moon tea, not that Jeyne (or anyone else) drugged Robb.

And the classification of non-white features as wicked or non-innocent is bigger than you or me, I didn’t make it and you didn’t make it. It’s cultural, and it behooves us to examine why we “read” certain features in certain ways. I highly recommend this video on the topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqSFqnUFOns

96. Tom Hilton
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

knowsomething: The official Game of Thrones facebook page announced the same thing. Oona Chaplin is Jeyne. And I think it’s obvious that she is Robb’s Jeyne. I don’t know why they are being coy with the last name unless they change it.

I heard they were going to change her last name because it’s too easily confused with Westeros.

Okay, not really.

97. Mirri Maz
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

wrongs30men,

i’m not going to get into the race thing because here is not the place but you might need to stop and think in the future before basically calling someone racist on the basis of a fleeting comment that has nothing to do with race or skin color or whatever it is that set you off.

98. Tom Hilton
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

wrongs30men,

Actually, I think Mirri Maz is right about there being a maegi of sorts in Jeyne’s ancestry–grandmother, great-grandmother, something like that.

ETA: which doesn’t mean I buy the magic seduction idea–just saying there is magic in her family history.

99. Drew
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

Anyone else notice adrienne curry asked a question of Nikolaj during the hbo chat? She’s really polishing her nerd dream girl credentials.

100. Langkard
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Blackfish Blues:(BTW, have you visited the Whiny Blackfishies yet?)

I tried to sign, but the imageverify thingy which keeps bots from signing is broken.

More Blackfish!

(Marches about fist pumping in the air, singing old protest songs and shouting proletarian slogans and THWAPing people with a big floppy trout painted black).

101. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Off topic , sorry. Filming is due to start at Ballintoy Harbour on Monday. I think we concluded it was to be Theons arrival on Pyke. Just want to put it out into the ether that I am available all next week. Should have had a call about a costume fitting by now though. Unless I was to be drowned by the Damphair,in which case the costume could just be a breechclout!………….HAR!

102. clemintine
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker: I hate it when people complain about Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, Idris Elba as Heimdall and Laurence Fishburne as Perry White, and I hate it when people act like not casting a PoC is somehow evidence of racism, or at least that it’s a must for all series, no matter what.

It is different though when casting a poc for a white character than making a poc white (ala the Last Airbender). There’s a gagillion white roles out there, so it’s a drop in the ocean and white people can look everywhere are see themselves reflect and don’t *have* to care. The other way around, however, there’re aren’t as many compelling poc roles and so when there is one and make it white, it’s a drop in a thimble. Obviously, if something took place in a village in prehistoric Pict-land and everyone was white, that makes sense. But in a world with the scope of Song of Ice and Fire, there is naturally variation of race on the distance scales that the story is told. So whitewashing everyone isn’t just racism (whether intentional or not), it’s just plain illogical.

Mirri Maz: i’m not going to get into the race thing because here is not the place

I don’t see why it isn’t. The issue of race in media and in fantasy is a pretty big and important topic, and this is a good a place as any for discussion.

I’m pretty sure she’s Westerling, not Poole. Poole needs to resemble Arya more and be a young girl. Anyways, I don’t think they’d cast Poole until Dance where she actually has a large role. Because what’s the point of casting an actor who won’t do much until 2 seasons later when the roster is already bursting at the seams? And just by the looks of Ms. Chaplan (can’t comment on her acting) I don’t think she in much need magical powers for Robb to fall in love with her.

103. Felagund
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Erm… I go with Mirri Maz. She really does not look like an innocent “girl-next-door” kinda look, but truely a kind of a more seductive one (no offense really, I have absolutely no problem with seductive looking babes, only that Jeyne Westerling is clearly not that type, so in my eyes (and in the vast majority of my fella GoT-fans) it is a mis-cast… :|)

And wrongs30men here is a little basic lesson in logics:

If someone says that a woman (who is actually looks like some specific race, or type) that she is not looking innocent, this does NOT mean that he places all other women of that particular category in the “not looking innocent” category, and vice versa.

Peace, man ;)

Posted August 12, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Felagund: Erm… I go with Mirri Maz. She really does not look like an innocent “girl-next-door” kinda look, but truely a kind of a more seductive one

I gotta agree. Its too early to judge, but for some reason I am feeling really “meh” about this casting choice by my first impression. Pretty much the exact opposite of how I pictured Jeyne.

105. Veelo
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Watch this video, she’s gorgeous. I already fell for her.

Posted August 12, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Veelo:
    Watch this video, she’s gorgeous. I already fell for her.

Still not liking her…

107. KG
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Here’s what the Mighty Blackfish contributes to the story.

1. Disagrees with Edmure on everything
    2. Agrees with Catelyn on everything
    3. Hides in a castle
    4. Insults Jaime a couple of times
    5. Runs away in the middle of the night like a little bitch

The story can easily do without him. Cope, folks – cope.

108. Josh Parker
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

clemintine,

Obviously when a POC is changed to a white character it’s racist. Any producer who does that is free to explain how it isn’t. That’s not my issue.

My issue is when a lack of POC in a work is declared racist based solely on that. I mean, GoT is a period piece based on medieval England. Of course there aren’t gonna be that many POC’s in it.

And I stick by what I’ve always said; if you’re more concerned with a person’s skin color than what they say or do or the content of their character, you’re being racist. End of story.

109. Bro
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

If Oona has been cast as Jeyne Westerling, I’m not feeling it. Nothing like I pictured her in my head.
    Now I want my Halfhand!

110. Steve the Pirate
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

There’s no reason at all why Jeyne Westerling would have to be lily white. Not one. And there IS indication she has Essos ancestry. So suck it up, people who have a prob with Oona.
    I’m on board with a Latin Jeyne. Never seen Oona act, but I absolutely trust D&D and Nina’s people by now.

111. Basketca
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Totally agree with Felagund. I don’t like her as Jeyne AT ALL. She might be pretty, she might be a great actress, but she hasn’t got the Jeyne look. Felagund described her exactly as I picture her, the girl next door. Oona is no girl next door.

I don’t know why but this last week the news have been awful. We might not have Blackfish this season, if Oona is Jeyne W. I die and Yara is an awful name for Asha (and I still think the reason for changing it is beyond silly). If this continues, by Sunday news will be that Lindsay Lohan and Kim Kardashian have joined the cast.

112. Basketca
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

113. Steve the Pirate
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Basketca: Oona latin? Just because she’s from Madrid (I think she is) doesn’t mean she’s latin. Her grandfather was english, for God’s sake! And I’m from Spain too and I’m as white as it is possible. It is NOT her being “latin” (cause I don’t think she is latin, and I don’t consider myself latin), it is because her overall looks is NOT like Jeyne’s.

At this point, I’m sick to death of hearing about the Blackfish. He does nothing of importance. I’m sorry. He’s just a cool dude. We should be thankful they’ve managed to keep all the LOADS of characters who DO make the plot move forward.

114. andrea
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

KG,

oh no! little bitch you say?
    1. it´s fine by me
    2. not so fine, I have to admit this one, I almost never agreed with that woman
    3. He protects the castle
    4. Altough I love Jaime, he deserves some insults
    5. he´s saved for later, has to prepare the Tully´s revenge.

I´ll always support Blackfish fins

115. darquemode
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

I feel like I’m the only one…

I don’t find her that gorgeous at all. I think the one photo in particular I posted of her is very plain and innocent. It also shows the small chin needed for a heart-shaped face… brown eyes…. brown curls. That’s Jayne Westerling by GRRM’s description … albeit a vague description.

After watching her show reel I thought she was a good actress for being relatively new on the scene.

I’m not excited about her, but no matter who was cast I would not be excited about Jeyne – Westerling or Poole!

116. andrea
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Basketca: Oona is no girl next door.

well, for Lationamérica or Spain she´s very pretty but not unusual. I like her. My first choice for her was Arianne or the Sandsnakes but Jeyne is fine.

117. andrea
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Basketca,

but you´re latin. Remember Roman Empire? I´m very white too but I´m latin of Spanish and Italian descent, like almost all argentines.

118. Basketca
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

So she’s half latino half caucasian. Cool. Now, going back to where we were discussing why she’s not a good Jeyne, where did people insist SO much that Jeyne must be pure white and Jeyne can’t be anything but a marble-looking girl? Someone mentioned something about being blonde, but the overall comment was “she doesn’t look innocent, etc.”, aka like Jeyne. If we were going to get mad with the casting decision because of race people could have gotten mad about Xaro, who I believe was not said to be black, and I don’t see people threatening D&D for casting a black man.

119. Basketca
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Andrea, what do you understand by latin?

There is the most common meaning, which means “from Latin America”. We could say almost everybody uses it that way, and usually talking about Latin American culture or an ethnic group.

There is the other meaning, “from a country in which a language that derivated from Latin is spoken”. Let’s be honest, nobody uses this meaning.

If we’re talking about nationality, we could easily use the meaning Number 2. some Canadians, Latin Americans, people from Spain, Portugal, Andorra, France, Italy, Switzerland, Belgium, Monaco, San Marino, the Vatican, Romania and even parts of Africa would be “latin” cause their language comes from Latin.

But when talking about race, like some people were talking here, that term can’t be used because people from those countries are from all the races in the world. Latino is most used to talk about Latin American culture or ethnicity. So I’m from a country in which a language that comes from latin is spoken, but I’m not latin in the ethnic meaning. And we were talking about race. (I know not all latin americans look the same, some are very white, others very black, other something in between, etc. but it is used that way, like meaning “mulato”, I’d say).

120. Steve the Pirate
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Brienne being totally gorgeous (even after “uglifying” makeup) would be a contradiction of her character and storyline.

121. Zack
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

Basketca: I don’t mind a latino Jeyne. I mind a Jeyne who looks like anything but Jeyne. Just like I would mind a gorgeous Brienne or an ugly Cersei.

I would mind a ‘latino’ Jeyne! Robb doesn’t swing that way!

122. Carrie Meathrell
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

Steve the Pirate,

This.
    (Also SteveThePirate, you are a goddess among bloggers.)

They could fill up the entire cast with, like, Amazonian Indians or Mongolian nomads, and I wouldn’t care as long as the performances were strong. In Nina Gold we trust.

(Although then we might have to have Werner Herzog direct the show from now on, which, hey! He’s be into long internal monologues, rats, and dwarves! A good fit, yeah?)

123. andrea
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Basketca,

124. knowsomething
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Steve the Pirate: She may have been born there, but her father is Chilean, which makes her half-Chilean. Latina. Deal with it.

Yes, and Oona considers herself Latina with a lot of international mix. I’m on board.

125. Basketca
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

andrea: Basketca, I know for non latinamericans “latino” means what you say but not for us latinamericans. For us it´s the other meaning. Latin is for language and race. In fact, south and central América natives were not latin race at all (incas, mayas, patagones, araucanos, etc) We´re latin because we were colonized by latin people (from Portugal, from Spain) and then came Italic and spanish inmigration. But my intention was not to argue eh? It´s just fine, different way of saying things.

Steve the Pirate: The color of Jeyne’s skin is irrelevant. Jeyne’s role is not defined by her perceived “whiteness.” She has to be pretty and that’s about it.

That’s what I’ve been saying since comment one. I don’t give a cr*p about her having whiter or darker skin, just like (almost) everybody else who complains, despite what some have suggested.

126. darquemode
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Steve the Pirate,

Not to mention she is not very dark honestly. I have watched on 3 or 4 episodes of The Hour and she is almost the same coloration as Dominic West who is hardly dark, latin or ethnic etc….

Personally I think she has more of a unique look based on her features than an Spanish, ethnic or Latin look based on her ethnicity. A long face, long nose, small cleft chin, large eyes – it all makes for a unique and interesting look to me. Not so much a particular race or ethnicity.

Depending on which feature is highlighted, she can achieve quite a few different “looks” from latin to sephardic to almost East European, from plain to different to pretty. I think she has a very adaptable and flexible look.

I will wait and see her performance based on her acting to see If I like her as Jeyne, but until then – welcome to the Game of Thrones cast Oona!

127. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

I didn’t picture her with darker skin in the books (well, to be honest she wasn’t really much of an entity at all in the books, so she was pretty generic and blurry in my mind), but Oona seems fine. I’d think it was strange if she didn’t have the background that she does, but since she has Braavosi blood I don’t see why it has to feel out of place. Besides, Westeros (apart from Dorne) has always been blanket European in my mind, and there are/were people with lots of different skin colours, etc, in Europe.
    I think one of Jeyne’s most important characteristics in the books was her awkwardness and general teenage-ness (not necessarily innocence, though I think from the photos that Oona could pull that off too). When you really think about what Jeyne’s been through and what she does in the story, I think she’s more likely to be that out-of-place girl, who has to feel pretty shitty about the situation and how she is perceived by Robb’s men/family. A lot of her innocence is really being uncomfortable, I think. I mean, when you consider how she and Robb got together, the thing that springs to mind most is “horny teenagers.”

128. tysnow
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

I think this pic of Oona, gives her a more girl next door look, and perhaps how she will be made up for her GoT role. Maybe Nina can find a part for the other smokin hot Chaplin, none other than Kiera.

129. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

tysnow,

She really does. You can tell from how she transforms herself through facial expressions in her photos that she probably has a lot of acting talent, and I think characters who are less fleshed out in the books can definitely benefit from the charisma of the people who play them on TV.

Welcome, Oona!

130. Basketca
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

Well, it’s supposed to be Medieval Europe, and at that time Europe was pretty white skinned. I think Jeyne had a braavosi grandfather or something like that, right? If Syrio looks like a “pure” braavosi, then I guess she would look a little whiter, something like Shakira?

Well, whatever. I just hope she can do a good job.

131. andrea
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Basketca: Yeah, I understand what you’re saying. I’m sorry if I sounded angry or something, wasn’t my intention ;)

No please you don´t have to apologize, it´s just fine. I’m not offended at all, just wanted to clarify.

Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

I didn’t nitpick AT ALL in Season One… but man, I’m not feeling so confident about Season 2 so far. Not liking the Yara name change, not liking Oona as Jeyne, not liking Alton Lannister, and not liking the fact that Conan Stevens seems to be absent.

I hope I’m worrying for nothing…

On a positive note, I AM liking the casting for Stannis and Brienne.

Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

P.S. Check out Amok’s rendition of Jeyne Westerling. Not perfect, but much closer to what I picture. Oona looks way too exotic (I’m talking facial structure, NOT skin colour which I couldn’t care less about), sexy, and seductive. Not sweet, innocent, girl-next-door at all.

134. andrea
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Steve Hugh Westenra,

how to quote something that has spoiler tags? oh well…
    “horney teenagers” you said.
    I say : this! there´s no better explanation.

135. Steve the Pirate
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

Not girl-next-door to you, perhaps. Think about it.

Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

I just don’t think she seems ‘sweet’ or innocent enough either, in her youtube clips. But I guess that’s what acting is for.

137. Kingthlayer
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – Jeyne Poole is not Arya’s age nor does she look Arya’s age, the reason the ploy works in Dance is because people have A. never seen the real Arya or B. are too afraid of the Bolton’s to say anything. That’s part of the reason why they have to have Theon walk Jeyne down the aisle – because it’s unbearably obvious she’s not Arya due to her age and those on the edge might be persuaded by Theon’s confidence. Poole is Sansa’s age and should look as such. Just sayin’.

138. Bono
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

If we’re at Riverrun this season meeting the Tullys…

Yeah, were are Tullys?? We don’t here anything about Tullys in the castings. Who will play Hoster Tully and Edmure? Blackfish? I think he is on the lost position in this season or they will be speaking about him just like about Stannis in the first.

139. Louisa
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

So much for my assumption that she’s just a back-up dancer/servant/one of Chataya’s whores!

I agree on the sentiment that she doesn’t look like Jeyne at all.

And regarding Jeyne Poole, I thought she already died on the first book, does this mean she’s still alive??! I don’t want to highlight those spoilers

Posted August 12, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Louisa,

How many of the books have you read?

141. Sarah
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Yeapn that is exactly how I did NOT picture her, of everything I have read and re-read she is a lot more shy, sweet a little more innocent looking and if anything only a faint hint of where her family came from. Bad casting really is, however the jury is out, IF she can pull it off then congrats but already the wash of opinion is not in her favor.

142. Lycanthropist
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 12:15 am | Permalink

Evening folks..

Been reading the site since Episode 1. And have read all the books.

So far I am liking the casting, but I, like Lex, am a little concerned about the new characters.

If the new Lannister is indeed just Cleos Frey renamed, well that I can handle. But please dont cut this book up too bad guys! Could be a great season of television if they adhere to the books.

143. Hot Pie!
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 12:15 am | Permalink

All of these other criticisms are missing the point! The most important question still needs to be asked: does she have wide enough hips?!?!?!

144. Louisa
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 12:19 am | Permalink

Lex:
    Louisa,

How many of the books have you read?

I’m reading AFFC now. I couldn’t help myself highlighting a bit of the spoilers, but from my understanding Jeyne appears in ADWD?

145. The Instrumentalist
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 12:24 am | Permalink

I don’t get the concern over her looks, really (for playing Westerling).

Finding Brienne is concerning – you can’t take just any certain age girl to play her. But for Jeyne, you probably could. Oona could have totally convinced them with her acting and so they picked her even though she wasn’t totally as described in the book. Or maybe they’re even taking a new angle with her character.

Honestly, we should have more faith in the show and know that they wouldn’t f*ck around. If she was picked she was picked for a reason, and I am thrilled to see what they’re going to do.

146. MW
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 12:46 am | Permalink

Louisa,

You probably don’t want to be asking questions about later books that you haven’t read yet.

147. Sarah
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 12:51 am | Permalink

The Instrumentalist,

Although I agree with you the initial feeling that you get from certain characters and casting is hard to ignore, and with many people not happy about her and lack of some (the Tully’s I mean come on) s2 is worrying me.
    Season 1 casting was brilliant so I had fair in the casting for this one, however a lot of that has been dashed, with the casting news coming out.
    If I could ask?
    She does need to be fleshed out more but a new direction I am unsure unless you can give a good one.

148. The Instrumentalist
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 1:08 am | Permalink

Sarah,

I understand completely what you’re saying, and I empathize. Let’s see…

For another direction, I think she might be a bit bolder. Originally we meet her through Cat and to Cat she’s just a girl. For Jeyne, Cat is her mother-in-law, so she has a reason to be shy/awkward.

Then again, I thought of something… When we see her again in AFFC, she’s wild and defiant. Yes, she’s pissed about what happened, but for a girl that’s so “innocent”, she’s pretty badass. Some would think that the girl we believe her to be might be sad and meek. But she is angry, enough maybe even to hate her own kin since they betrayed her.

And that takes its own sort of courage. Perhaps, through Cat misjudging her character, we misjudged her character. Or maybe the murder of her husband simply woke the dragon in her, who knows.

149. Lina
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 1:10 am | Permalink

Hmm…I don’t know what to think about this.

On one hand, she’s not at all what I imagine for Jeyne. And while she doesn’t LOOK like the Jeyne I imagined, it’s more so her aura that confuses me. She seems very exuberant, outgoing, smiley, and energetic. That’s just not how I imagine Jeyne. Jeyne in my mind is just a teenage girl, kind but shy, who lacks experience in the world. But I guess that’s what acting is. I also think Oona looks old for her age and looks several years older than Richard Madden.

On the other hand, Jeyne DOES have Eastern heritage, so she could in theory have a more “ethnic” look. And I do like Oona, and she is very pretty in a unique way. But I think I would be much more excited if she had been cast as a Dornishwoman or someone in Essos.

I can see a bit of Jeyne here though.

I will trust in HBO as usual. In any event, I am interested to see how they expand the Jeyne storyline. And this also means Richard Madden gets more play!

150. andrea
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 1:18 am | Permalink

The Instrumentalist: Perhaps, through Cat misjudging her character, we misjudged her character

That would not surprise me at all. Not a good judge of character that woman.

151. Sarah
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 1:20 am | Permalink

The Instrumentalist,

Yeap some of what you have said may work yet I suppose that how I envisaged Jeyne is different to what Nina Gold would have received. Yet what you said near the end won’t make much sense as (if it is THE Jeyne) she doesn’t know what actually happened and by whom. Even we don’t truly know what happened. Don’t know how to do the spoiler block thing so I won’t say and have a pitch fork mob on my heels.
    I have a friend who in my mind was THE perfect Jeyne and had her details with Nina alas she did not get the part (duh)

Here’s hoping that s2 will be ok, in my mind now it won’t be brilliant but it will be ok that is it (with everything that we have heard before anyone tries to kill me)

152. Ryan E
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 1:32 am | Permalink

Well at least this confirms the Blackfish is out… so hopefully we don’t need to have 20+ posts in every thread wondering if he will be in/lamenting the fact that he won’t make the show. He’s so minor, if he’s the biggest character we don’t get I will be amazed.

153. The Instrumentalist
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 1:53 am | Permalink

Sarah,

Jeyne certainly knows Robb was killed by the Freys, including some help from her mother – that much is known. We know who killed who, despite what the Freys might try and say to defend themselves and their so-called “honour”.

Don’t be down about season 2! Just because this small cast member isn’t what you expected doesn’t mean it’s going to be terrible. Remember that Yara is just a name, Alton’s just another added character and they wouldn’t have picked Oona if they didn’t see something worthwhile in her. All in all the show goes on and the world keeps spinning. It’ll be awesome! Get really pumped! Eat some ice cream!!! :D

FYI: To spoiler-block things, select the passage you want to block and click the ‘spoiler’ button above.

154. sjwenings
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 1:54 am | Permalink

I don’t really care that much about what Jeyne Westerling looks like… But only because she is such a minor role. Even if they’ll expand her part, she’ll still be pretty minor, I assume. And maybe they’ll change her up a bit, like they did with Shae. So maybe her look fits the altered character.

155. hav_
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 2:10 am | Permalink

Jeyne Westerling having a “middle eastern” look makes sense to me since her great grand-mother was Maggy the Frog.

As for the love potion theory, there are some hints in the text pointing in that direction. Just read this, if you don’t believe me : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/board/thread/186415250?p=2&d=186417207#186417207

156. darquemode
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 2:16 am | Permalink

sjwenings,

I was thinking the same thing.

Cersei was way off what I pictured or read on the page frankly. She annoyed me all season and I stilll loved Season One and thought it was incredible… Even expanded, Jeyne will never be that big a part of the season .

With so much detail and so much editing needed… in my mind D&D did a stellar job and have earned more than a little leeway on doubting next season’s tweaks!

157. Blackfish Blues
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 2:26 am | Permalink

Langkard,
    thx! I’ll remove the verification, that might be what causes problems… who cares about spam, Bravenet spams the page with ads already :/ A big thanks to all the others who joined… it’s not about numbers, it’s just fun, but it’s nice to see :D

KG,
    Pro-Blackfish might be whiny, but I hope one thing can be said about us, we’re never rude. :P

Ryan E:

No it doesn’t. Yes you will. And there must be some reason for the 20+ posts… I may be annoying but I have no time to write so many. I only hope I’ve managed to explain at least to SOMEONE (not to convince, but to explain) the appeal of the character, so I don’t mind if sometimes I’ve failed.

158. The Instrumentalist
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 2:51 am | Permalink

Blackfish Blues,

Sorry, I happen to be with KG on that one. I mean, I’d like for there to be a Blackfish, but if he is a no-show it wouldn’t be detrimental to my livelihood and well-being. :P

I understand your love for him, and I’m not saying I DON’T love him, but… He said bad, slanderous things to my sweet Jaime. And for that, he may never be forgiven.

But then again, I thought of something… (I usually do in the middle of typing). Jaime is my extra-special favourite character, but Blackfish would be yours right? Well, everyone deserves to see their character onscreen I suppose…I mean, I have a special love reserved for Podrick, another minor character…and the tender love of a book character is not always rational and easily understood. This is known.

Alright then, I have convinced myself to support your movement. >:D You are very persuasive, madam.

159. Sarah
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 2:59 am | Permalink

With regards to Jeyne knowing that Robb was killed at RW primarily by the freys and lannisters, she as of yet does not know that her mother was also part of the plot as evidence to the jamie chapter in affc.

Quite a lot of the cast has not been what I had imagined Meli and Stannis being the best casting oh and Davos our wonderful onion knight are the exceptions. I am hoping she has some redeeming qualities that we shall see in the show and maybe to alleviate some fans fears have them do a talk in costume so we can actually see them. If it was Martin that wanted a specific look for her then who are we to argue with HIM. He is the one who knows what these character look like better than anyone so I am also hoping he said what she looked like and yes to her. If that is the case then hold my hands up and say yeap fine by me now.

Still not understanding why they changed Asha’s name to Yara but….as for s2 jury is now out and will be the biggest test to see if all their (minor) changes paid off enough to gain a third season. As I would dearly love to see how they are a) going to do the red wedding. b) Kill Raynald, Robb and in a way Cat. c) sew grey winds head into Robb (real heart breaker)
    That’s a thought if they have cast Jeyne then what about Rolf her uncle, mother dearest, Raynald, Rollam and Elyne, hope I spelt their names right

BTW thanks Instrumentalist for the heads up.

160. Abyss
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 3:13 am | Permalink

hav_,

Wow, that’s interesting! Never crossed my mind, but it could be true.

161. Blackfish Blues
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 3:29 am | Permalink

The Instrumentalist,
    thank you, this is a kind criticism that I can understand and respect! BTW, Jaime is my third-fourth fave character (after the Hound, and on a par with Jorah in the books) and I find him immensely interesting and relatable, not to mention hot. I would give anything to see MORE interaction between him and Brynden – the dungeons of Riverrun would be the perfect place. I also would like to see Brynden come to respect Jaime more after the famous dialogue and after realizing Jaime has changed, maybe after Jaime DOES manage to bring back a Stark girl to honour his oath to Cat. Who knows where TWOW is going with this, but I know where my imagination is – Jaime might find an unlikely ally in the Blackfish to avoid being butchered by Lady Stoneheart!

Give me the right imput and I can talk about Jaime ALMOST as much as about Brynden. Ah, such a pity we can’t write fanfic…

162. Felagund
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 5:08 am | Permalink

andrea,

Yes, I’d totally embrace her for Arianne!

But not Jeyne Westerling…

Please, Nina Gold, do give us something to that I can say WOOOAH! It is really not that hard…

163. The Rabbit
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 5:14 am | Permalink

Off topic:

Some photos started to poppin up from Ballintoy Harbour where filimg would take place next week.

A lots of props, as it seems, but the photo is too small to recognize anything.
    Hopefully there would more photos during the next week.

Spies, where are you? ;)

164. Ser Lemon Cakes
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 6:20 am | Permalink

Just a thought about the alleged Sam Riley sighting-perhaps it’s Kerr Logan who they have actually seen? He looks a lot like Riley, who is frankly too big a name for a small role on the show. I can’t think of who of appropriate size is left to be cast.

165. Kroket
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 7:13 am | Permalink

Seriously i don’t understand why they have to go all foreign with the female roles?? Shae was the biggest (Well… only…) miscast last season and now they go with someone 180degrees opposite again for no reason. I for one couldnt understand how Robb falls in love with her but thats just me i suppose… Seriously heart shaped face brown hair… not that difficult right?? Oh well…. at least we got Hannah Murray…

166. Tessa Leonie
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Lina,

I totally get what you mean with her ‘aura’. She seems quite fierce and extrovert. I always imagined Jeyne and Ygritte as opposites that both have the same effect on their lovers ( vow wise) . Whereas Ygritte is wild assertive and lowborn, Jeyne highborn demure and relatively passive. So now they better cast one kick ass ferral actress for Ygritte

167. Lina
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Tessa Leonie,

Yes. This is exactly what I was trying to say! Completely agree with you!

Blackfish forever, I don’t care who whines about us whining about him! I think he’s still going to pop up in book 6 or 7 and do something awesome, so I’m holding out hope!

168. Blackfish Blues
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Lina,
    sing it, sister. At least we’re positive and loving!

BTW, I finally had the time to look at Oona and she’s awesomely pretty! No matter which Jeyne she’s cast as, she’ll leave a mark.

169. Sarah
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Blackfish Blues,

The question is will she leave a good mark?

170. Sarah
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

On a different note I must now sit and read/watch NcW with the fans q and a

171. Jessica C.
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Kroket:
    Seriously i don’t understand why they have to go all foreign with the female roles?? Shae was the biggest (Well… only…) miscast last season and now they go with someone 180degrees opposite again for no reason. I for one couldnt understand how Robb falls in love with her but thats just me i suppose… Seriously heart shaped face brown hair… not that difficult right??Oh well…. at least we got Hannah Murray…

She is an attractive woman not hard to see why a man would fall in love with someone who looks like her.

She is one character that if they changed her personality I would not care. I never understood why someone like Robb would break off a marriage arrangement for someone as dull as Jeyne Westerling.

I’m hoping they make her more fun to watch than she was to read.

172. purplejilly
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Blackfish Blues: Ah, such a pity we can’t write fanfic…

At the next panel or interview or moot or whatever, someone needs to support the bottom and ask D&D what their view is on fan fic based on the HBO version of GoT! I’ve already got a url in mind for the site if they say it’s okay.. hee hee

173. Hi-Fi
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Wow. So much pessimism here!

Oona could be amazing, she looks gorgeous and probably left a big impression on Nina and Co. to be cast. I definitely don’t have a problem with this casting, I’m actually kinda shocked to see so many people complaining about how she doesn’t look like Jeyne, a minor character from the books.

I do agree she looks like how I pictured Arianne in my mind, but I’m sure she’ll be great playing Jeyne.

Welcome, Oona!

174. Honest Jerk
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Painfully honest (hate me if you would): I just don’t find Oona attractive at all. Book Jeyne may not have been a supermodel, but couldn’t she be cute?

Oona seems outgoing and fun, while Book Jeyne came across as shy & demur: it’s called “acting”, that’s not my problem.

In these videos, Oona comes across as the person you get to know and come to fall in love with… But the reality is there won’t be many scenes to show them fall in love, so IMHO, it would have been better to cast someone the audience would fall in love with at first sight. And as terrible as it sounds, Oona’s not that person . Oona seemss perfect in her role in The Hour: aka not a person of attraction or cuteness. .. the things Jeyne should have in abundance.

And I know unattractive people, sadly I see one in the mirror every morning.

175. fancySansa
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Jessica C.: My biggest hope is that they give her some more depth on the show than she had in the book. ” Plain Jeyne” doesn’t stand out at all compared to the cast of females both major and minor in this book.

I’m hoping they make her more fun to watch than she was to read.

I think part of the issue was that we never got see Jeyne looking after Robb. Whatever type of connection they had when they met is never shown in the books, so I feel like they may show it in the show, that way we can actually see what Robb sees in her instead of imagining what it was like for him. I’m wondering if they’ll show the moment when he finds out about Bran and Rickon and she “comforts” him. =) And would that be pushed into 3rd season?

176. Josh Atreides
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi,

Thanks Hi-Fi! This board and site needs a good dose of positivity now and then. The Second Season hasn’t even aired yet and there’s already such doom and gloom. I refuse to judge anything without seeing it, so I am hoping for the best. I’m not saying that even those who are dissapointed are not hoping for the best, but I personally believe negative energy in any way shape or form will eventually lead to a negative outcome. I think we are just exhausted…from the series, from ADWD (whether you loved it or loathed it-I liked it for what it was, the companion for AFFC and the setup for the final two books)and from rampant speculation and the infinite cycle of news on this site. We just all need to take a deep breath…..

As for Oona as Jeyne W? She does not match the look in my head, but I have faith in Nina and the producers will make it work. I have long ago decided to separate the book from the tv series as separate entities.

On a positive note, I recommend those who are skeptical of Stephen Dillane to watch John Adams and King Arthur. His Jefferson speaks for itself in his talent as an actor. And his Merlin, well I can see why they chose him as Stannis. Look at his severe features his slight, yet intimidating form, his gravitas. All of this combined with a good Davos and Mel at his sidem, he is going to blow everyone away!

PS: All NCW fans who have not seen Black Hawk Down should watch it…especially for this scene: http://youtu.be/K47VXTNkE_8

Posted August 13, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

Josh Atreides:
    Hi-Fi,

Yeah, he was awesome in John Adams. I’m very happy about the casting of Stannis.

178. Shadowcat85
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Here’s another thought on which “Jeyne” Oona could be playing and also why HBO won’t release a last name. It’s mentioned in AFfC that Cleos Frey aka our GoT Alton Lannister is married to Jeyne Darry. Maybe that’s who Oona is playing but a last name hasn’t been decided yet (whether it should be Frey or Lannister). Now if this true, I would personally change the name from Jeyne to something else since there are two more prominent Jeynes already in the book.

Maybe I’m thinking too much into it haha. I like Oona’s look, but I don’t see her as Jeyne Westerling (that could change though depending on her performance).

179. Bro
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Honest Jerk:
    And I know unattractive people, sadly I see one in the mirror every morning.

Aw, now I just wanna give you a hug!
    I’m meh on Oona too but when she’s in makeup and costume and “in character”, hopefully we’ll see Jeyne Westerling and not some random women.

180. HonestJerk
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

Yes hug me ;)

I hope I’m not too terrible for saying Oona isn’t attractive. She’s not ugly.

But Jeyne SHOULD have be cute or something other than plain.

The actress who plays Irri us really attractive but not made up to be “hot”. That’s how this sexist pig would’ve cast Jeyne- someone very attractive and “plained” her down.

This seems like the other way around: vast someone plain and pretty her up.

Of course if it IS a love potion, it’s all starting to make sense

181. darquemode
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

Shadowcat85,

Very interesting theory and if they flesh out “Alton Lannister’s” scenes his wife might indeed get face time. Although like you mentioned it does some odd and somewhat out of character for them to keep her as Jeyne seeing as they have already shifted a number of names around to make it “easier” for people to follow.

182. userj
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

I wasn’t suggesting racism at all! I was actually happy that they cast a person of color in a role of a Westerosi character. That hasn’t happened yet AFAIK. So please! Don’t put words in my mouth. I’m very pleased.

183. Blackfish Blues
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 3:39 am | Permalink

purplejilly: At the next panel or interview or moot or whatever, someone needs to support the bottom and ask D&D what their view is on fan fic based on the HBO version of GoT!I’ve already got a url in mind for the site if they say it’s okay.. hee hee

Yes yes! And then we create a new character, Catelyn’s eccentric uncle. :DDDD

Seriously, fanfiction.net doesn’t list GRRM among the authors who don’t want fanfic of their stuff. In fact there’s a thriving collection of ASOIAF stories, and funnily enough, there’s a separate section for GOT (HBO) stories.

184. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 4:49 am | Permalink

That’s called “being a 16-year-old boy”.

185. Kroket
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 7:29 am | Permalink

Honest Jerk:

In these videos, Oona comes across as the person you get to know and come to fall in love with… But the reality is there won’t be many scenes to show them fall in love, so IMHO, it would have been better to cast someone the audience would fall in love with at first sight.And as terrible as it sounds, Oona’s not that person .Oona seemss perfect in her role in The Hour: aka not a person of attraction or cuteness. .. the things Jeyne should have in abundance.

And I know unattractive people, sadly I see one in the mirror every morning.

Yeah exactly. She is mediocre looking at best nothing ‘special’. I mean there must be dozens of talented young british actresses 18-25 that could have been cast for this and they give it to someone plain looking. She’d better be a great actress (as opposed to Shae who is so so at best and plays the role 180degrees opposite as well)

True its probably nitpicking but this is game of thrones we are talking about.
    If they do go with the love potion then i am 100% cool with the cast btw otherwise wait and see she’ll have to convince me (cause like i said i would not fall in love with her…)

186. Jessica C.
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 9:05 am | Permalink

I really hope Oona doesn’t come on this website and view some of the comments here about her looks.

187. sjwenings
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Jessica C.,

Being called plain is hardly something to get upset about. Coupled with several gorgeous/beautiful comments, I’d say thats more than decent.

I think she’s pretty, for what its worth. (not much at all.)

188. Josh Atreides
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Jessica C.,

Better to be politely called unnattractive here than being torn to pieces on IMDB. Have you seen Maggie Gyllenhall’s IMDB board?

189. Josh Atreides
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Lex,

Speaking of John Adams I think Danny Huston would be an amazing Blackfish. That’s of course if they ever cast him….

190. tysnow
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

OMG! I cannot believe some people are saying THIS isn’t cute, pretty or attractive. What world do they live in, I mean come on, she is pretty damn good looking in my opinion.
    You see the way her eyes light up when she smiles, thats the mark of a girl with a lovely soul.

191. Kroket
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

tysnow,

tysnow:

She looks a lot better on that picture alright. Still not my type by a long shot and nowhere near how i pictured Jeanne (just like most other people) I really wonder why they have to depart so much from original characters sometimes… Lets hope its becaused she rocked at auditions…

192. tysnow
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Been thinking about the possible last name that HBO wants to keep mum about (likely it gives away a spoiler). Perhaps it is Jeyne Lannister, and now she is the daughter of Kevan instead. Robb captures her along with other hostages when he tramples the West, and they become a GoT Romeo and Juliet.
    Just a thought mind you, but HBO does wants a big romance to brew for season two.

193. GaR
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Kroket,

So… how is this a departure?

Jeyne is barely described in the books, and when her imposter showed up in Feast, barely anyone noticed.

Jeyne’s great grandmother was a maegi from Essos. It makes sense for the Spicers to be of mixed race. As for her looks… it doesn’t matter. Even if she weren’t very attractive (an assertion I strongly disagree with), that is no reason why a young dude in emotional turmoil would not fall for that, especially if she offers a bit of comfort when he finds out about his brothers’ heads being mounted on his own castle gates.

194. darquemode
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

tysnow,

MY point on her loosk wasn’t so much that she is not or can’t be cute… It was more that she is capable of looking pretty and plain as requeire by Westerling. If she is Jeyne Westerling. I like the idea of her being “Alton’s” wife somewhat…

I think the Romeo & Juliet angle may be too big a change for D&D to make. So far they have stayed very true to the books. Having Robb fall for a Lannister would be a pretty big departure. Interesting …. but big.

195. OldGran
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

From all the comments I was very apprehensive about Oona cast as Jeyne Westerling. But after looking at the pics and video I’m much relieved. I like that she is not all cookie cutter ingenue. She is beautiful and interesting looking, she’ll make a compelling Jeyne IMO.

196. GaR
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

It wouldn’t be much of a departure really. The Westerlings are related to the Lannisters anyway, after all.

197. darquemode
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

GaR,

I gues that’s true… It just seems like the name “Lannister” and the family proper are different than a relation of the Lannisters. Maybe it’s my perception versus reailty…

198. GaR
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

Yeah, it’s entirely perception, though that doesn’t mean it’s not valid.

A cousin of the Lannisters called Westerling isn’t going to command the same respect as a cousin called Lannister.

I suppose. :B

199. silverjaime
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

OT – anyone know what scene they’ll be filming this week at Balintoy Harbour? Was near there this afternoon – lots of scaffolding and loads of people. And boats. No photography allowed.

200. KG
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 3:58 am | Permalink

Blackfish Blues,

Aww. /pat pat. When I’m rude, you’ll know it.

201. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 6:14 am | Permalink

silverjaime,

Is it possible it may be a scene/some scenes from Dany’s storyline? I think it’s in ACoK that she gets those boats. It seems to early for The Battle of the Blackwater (unless they’re filming it in chunks). Could also be Theon’s arrival on the Iron Islands…or Ros’s arrival in Braavos, where she begins her tour of the lands outside Westeros for sexposition scenes on local history and culture. ;p

202. Sid
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 6:15 am | Permalink

GaR,

I agree with GaR.

Helloo? He’s 16 years old! When I was 16 I would definitely have “fallen in love” with any girl not expressively ugly that offered up some pootah!
    Actually, I think I did. More than once. ;)

Her looks are not that important.

203. Lina
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 9:00 am | Permalink

andrea,

Si, lo entiendo. Y gracias! Nunca he estado a Argentina, pero quiero visitar. Parece muy bonita. :)

204. Blackfish Blues
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 9:14 am | Permalink

Josh Atreides:

Lex,

He was not bad in costume as King Richard in “Robin Hood”. Though I always see the Blackfish clean-shaven, like his description in the books… but right now a beard is the last of my problems :P

KG,
    don’t wake the trout :D

205. Lala
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 9:51 am | Permalink

I can’t believe all the negativity up here. Just because Oona is not your type or your ordinary beautiful actress, doesn’t mean ROBB can’t like her. He obviously fell in love with her for her personality, for being there with him, etc.. We don’t know a lot about their relationship, but bashing her because she wasn’t how YOU pictured Jeyne is selfish, to say the least. She pretty much fits my mental image of Oona, but that doesn’t really matter.

206. Josh Atreides
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Blackfish Blues,

See Huston in John Adams as Samuel Adams and in Children of Men and the Constant Gardener for a more clean shaven look.

207. The Rabbit
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 10:52 am | Permalink

silverjaime,

I believe it would be Theon arriving at Pyke.
    There are some photos from the set already poped-up.

208. tamaroth
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Holy crap, pink floyd reference? here? who would’ve guessed!

209. purplejilly
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 11:06 am | Permalink

tysnow,
    I agree, I think she’s stunning, she is not who I mentally imagined Jeyne W. either, but she is a beautiful girl with an absolutely fabulous smile. I’m sure she will do great. Maybe the ‘darker skin’ is some of the problems of her ‘lesser house’ with that grandmother that was not the perfect KL lady..
    It wouldn’t go against the grain of this world for them to show darker skinned people as lower on the social status ladder.

210. Shadowcat85
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Josh Atreides,

Blackfish Blues,

Danny Huston’s a good pick (in my mind though I’m thinking of someone older than Michelle Fairley) except he’s unavailable. He’s filming “Magic City” for Starz.

211. andrea
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Lina,

Es muy bonita y muy diversa pero también muy grande (2.780.400 km²), eso puede ser un problema. He conocido muchos turistas que se pasan meses aquí para conocer todo. Comienzan en Tierra del Fuego (el helado fin del mundo) y terminan en Jujuy (sobre la cordillera de los Andes en la frontera con Bolivia) o en las Cataratas del Iguazú (frontera con Brasil). Pero es hermosa, sí. Preguntame lo quieras cuando necesites, ahora tengo mucho tiempo.

212. silverjaime
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

Hi – went down to the set today – it looks fabulous and the art department guys were very informative. Apparently it’s where they set off to battle (?) and the ship I saw being built in Banbridge will be launched in to the harbour at Balintoy tomorrow for filming. They’re going to be loading it up with provisions. (all of which were being set up on the quayside.)
    The guy in charge knew all about Winter is Coming and had the t-shirts!

213. fancySansa
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

silverjaime,

that sounds really really cool and i wish i could be there to witness it.
    ….were you allowed to take pictures of anything, or were they strict about it?

214. Epic Awesomesauce
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

I did write a brilliant defence for Oona Chaplin but I decided it did not convince me after reviewing it. And this is only because I haven’t seen her perform and because there are (only) a few actors on the show that stink.

But as far as her looks go, she looks great to me. I was surprised she was a Westerling instead of a Dorne though.

And it makes me nervous that she’s related to Chaplin. Because he’s a legend and she’s just no one.

215. silverjaime
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

fancySansa,

THere were signs up everywhere not to photograph and there were security guys standing about, but I could’ve gone up on the cliff top and photographed. However, I had talked to a number of the guys dressing the set and any pix online from me may have got back to them – I might have got it in the neck then! The roads are going to be closed tomorrow from the beginning of the descent into the harbour, so I’m glad I got down to see it today. The guys told me “it’ll look great when the huge torches are lit” – so I assume some of it will be at night.

216. Sarah
    Posted August 19, 2011 at 11:48 am | Permalink

silverjaime,

That just sounds bloody amazing, are you a part of the crew or just passing by either way oh yeah must find pics

217. AphroditeMF
    Posted August 19, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Epic kudos for the Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz reference!

218. Grace Smith
    Posted August 23, 2011 at 6:05 am | Permalink

If anyone wants to see some pics from the set, I’ve uploaded some: http://minus.com/mUx0W3XKl. I live about 20 minutes away from Ballintoy and we were down on Saturday (though we couldn’t get close to the harbour due to security), however we went back down on Sunday and were allowed down.

The set looks amazing and I can’t honestly wait to see it in the new series!

1. [...] we reported in our Quick Hits post yesterday, HBO Connect conducted a Live Chat interview with Nikolaj Coster-Waldaur, the Great [...]

2. [...] a harbor set. My guess was that this set would be used for the scenes on Pyke. However, reports from the set seem to indicate it is actually going to be a scene prior to a battle. So maybe this harbor is [...]