Game of Thrones scripts suspected stolen
By Winter Is Coming on in News.

I missed this news the first time, but it has gone on to make the rounds, including being picked up by Huffington Post and Reuters. So we’ll post it here to help get the word out or if you were like me and had a busy weekend and just missed it.

On Saturday, George R. R. Martin made a post on his blog about two signed Game of Thrones scripts that were to be auctioned off for charity at the upcoming Worldcon. Unfortunately, the scripts went missing in transit. And Martin thinks it was at the hands of an unscrupulous postal worker.

The US post office delivered the envelope in a plastic baggie with a pre-printed note apologizing for the “damage.” But this was no error in handling. The envelope was torn open at one end, and both scripts were gone, though Dan’s letter remained.

I am convinced the scripts were stolen.

GRRM goes on to implore his readers and fans to report to him any evidence of these scripts turning up on eBay or Craiglists or what-have-you. And to call the police as well. Here is the description of the scripts:

Here’s what was taken: two teleplays, final shooting scripts for episodes nine and ten of season one, “Baelor” and “Fire and Blood,” autographed by writers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss and director Alan Taylor, printed on white paper.

Winter Is Coming: What is this world coming to when people steal items destined for a charity auction?

1. Aziraphale
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Bastards. Nothing pisses me off more than something like this. I’ll definitely keep an eye out.

Check your craigslists or reddit people, you never know if someone’s dumb enough to post it on either.

2. Milan Petrovic
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

With Postal service (in any country) is usually impossible to get to the bottom of such thefts. This reminded me of an old Simpson’s episode where the postal workers where opening letters to grab money from the letters. Scripts, money, as long as they see that its valuable and that they can blame someone else.

3. Aziraphale
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Milan Petrovic,

Yeah, but GRRM has an army behind him…US! Say, that brings something to mind, we need a nickname for the legion of fans that follow GRRM. Army of Westeros? Essos Nation? GoThers? (er…no…) Sorry, getting off track here.

There’s a reason filching someone’s mail in the US is a felony. I hope this person is caught and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, especially considering he/she is most likely a postal worker.

Posted August 16, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Lame. I hate thieves.

But on the bright side, it definitely speaks to the newfound popularity of ASOIAF/GOT. These would never have been stolen a couple years ago!

5. KG
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I had an autographed jersey that I won disappear in transit.

I contacted the athlete. He sent another.

It disappeared.

The third time he used FedEx, and I got my jersey. Yay! Athlete. Boo, USPS!

6. Kingthlayer
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

cheap scripts for sale – must get rid of asap – signed – IM me

7. Steven Scott
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Can’t say this bothers me a bit.

8. Hollyoak
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Craven. Turncloaks. Whoresons.

9. Susan C
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Did they go through London? Maybe they got stolen in the riots… ;)

10. Sherry
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

The Postal Service is untrustworthy. I’ve had free samples that I was supposed to receive disappear during transit and it had to have been the postal workers with sticky fingers. Also, an experiment was done a few years ago: 10 greeting cards were sent with $20 in each, and only 5 made it to its destination. That’s scarey! There are many horror stories like that, or worse. No wonder the postal system has fallen into chaos! In NYC there were a couple incidents where the mailperson actually burned the mail they were supposed to deliver! Talk about laziness, and downright meanness!

11. stevelabny
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

I roll my eyes at this story.

I’d love to know what kind of envelope it was sent in. If two thick scripts were sent in a paper envelope…. its actually more likely that it really was shipping damage and not a theft.

Unless it had an HBO logo on it, or was mailed in something so flimsy you could tell what was inside… how would the psychic postal worker know it was something worth stealing since GRRM said it wasn’t even addressed to him?

George is totally blowing this out of proportion.

12. Skipjack
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Two things about this. First, I can’t help thinking that they knew the package was two scripts for Game of Thrones, but didn’t necessarily know that it was from last season. In which case, I can’t help thinking that the result would have been bragging rights or lulz by spoiling scripts from the next season. That makes me angry but the book has been out so long that I’m sure anyone who wants to remain unspoiled will manage to keep it that way.

And secondly, the Hope Diamond was sent through the mail in 1958, from New York to Washington in a plain box wrapped in brown paper. It made it to its destination safely and on time.

13. imjustsaying
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

I must be the only one hoping i was going to read a script from next season. I read the books already so I dont mind getting a preview of what they had planned.

Yea it sucks that they got robbed, but shit happens and sometimes to our personal pleasure :)

14. Sam
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

imjustsaying,

Oh, yeah, fuck charity as long as we get to hear about the next season! *eyeroll* WTF is wrong with you?

15. Bro
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

Sheesh, what low lifes some people really are. Stealing from a charity. But stuff like this doesn’t surprise me anymore unfortunately. I sincerely hope whoever did this is caught. Will prob get away with it though.

16. MW
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

Why the @&#% do we still have a government-run postal service?

17. Aspirations27
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 12:19 am | Permalink

Pretty sure since 9/11, any package is subject to be opened and inspected by the USPS. Could have been a random and lucky check.

18. mummer
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 12:36 am | Permalink

MW:
    Why the @&#% do we still have a government-run postal service?

Why not? The USPS is very cost-effective, it’s got way more convenient locations most anywhere you might be, and it’s not going to cut service because its management decides some other kind of business would be more profitable. And if you don’t like it, you have a choice; it’s not as if HBO was forced to use US mail. Stuff gets stolen from UPS and Fedex too, as will happen in any business that employs human beings.

19. axia777
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 12:48 am | Permalink

mummer: Why not? The USPS is very cost-effective…

U.S. Postal Service Lost Record $8.5 Billion in 2010

Me thinks you need a huge reality check. Because yours bounced hard.

20. Langkard
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 12:51 am | Permalink

MW:
    Why the @&#% do we still have a government-run postal service?

Because every country that has privatized their postal services has seen their postage rates skyrocket over time compared to ours and they have even worse problems than we do with unsavory behavior.

Just as an example, it costs .44 Euro cents to post a letter from one end of the Netherlands to another. In the USA it costs 46 US cents which is about .366 Euro cents to send a letter from Key West, Florida to Honolulu, Hawaii.

Postal service in the Netherlands is handled by four different and competing private companies like Selektmail. For an idea of what that has caused, there’s a great article here.

It’s eye-opening when people get a look at what really happens when things get privatized, like the mail. Similar situations occur wherever privatization has been tried. Someone makes a profit, but the mail service is crapper than before.

I’m not defending the criminal who took those scripts. But I’m willing to bet that if it had occurred in one of the privatized postal services of Europe or Asia, GRRM wouldn’t even have gotten the destroyed and empty envelope and thus know they were stolen. He’d simply not know what happened and wouldn’t have been able to immediately notify people to keep an eye out for them appearing for sale.

21. Steven Scott
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Sam:
    imjustsaying,

Charity is overrated. I’d rather have leaked scripts too.

22. Jozua
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 1:27 am | Permalink

Skipjack,

that was
    a) 50 years ago, when the US was in a completely different economic position then it is now (poverty breeds criminality, this is why most european countries like their social security net so much)
    b) Wasn’t that the diamond where there was so many news about that nobody expected that it would come in a brown box?

23. Jozua
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 1:28 am | Permalink

Steven Scott: Charity is overrated. I’d rather have leaked scripts too.

But these scripts are from the first season, which you already saw…

24. Jenny
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 2:36 am | Permalink

I’ve witnessed someone stealing tip money from a cleaning lady at a public toilet.
    People are just dense.
    It makes you want to tear your hair.

25. MW
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 2:38 am | Permalink

Langkard:
    It’s eye-opening when people get a look at what really happens when things get privatized, like the mail.Similar situations occur wherever privatization has been tried.Someone makes a profit, but the mail service is crapper than before.

I’m not suggesting that we privatize “things” (Gee I wonder what you mean…). I’m suggesting getting rid of a poorly-run government business that is borderline-obsolete and is running a deficit. Also, you will never convince any sane person that Fedex or UPS has worse service than the USPS. That’s ludicrous.

I’m not suggesting we privatize Social Security or health insurance so put your torch and pitchfork away. The USPS sucks. The only thing good about it is the price, but you get exactly what you pay for.

26. Sid
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 3:12 am | Permalink

I don’t see the problem. If the scripts are for the already aired season, why not print out a new copy and FedEx/UPS it this time? What can you gain by stealing already published material?
    Anyway, if he/she tries to sell it through ANY pubic channel, GRRMbledores Army will make him/her pay…

27. BlueCanary
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 3:55 am | Permalink

Sid,

I have to agree. While it is unfortunate (and wrong) that someone stole the scripts, it’s not like they can’t be replaced. Print a new one out, sign it, ship it. This time use UPS or something.

Though, just as a thought, it wouldn’t be all *that* hard for a PO employee to guess at what was in the parcel, even with GRRM’s assistant Ty’s name on it – apparently, GRRM has a ridiculously ostentatious house for his neighborhood. (An interview around the time ADWD came out made mention of this. It has some medieval castle elements, for serious.) His address is probably infamous in his hometown.

28. You-know-nothing
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 5:28 am | Permalink

Steven Scott,

What you mean is, charity doesn’t effect you so therefore you don’t care! If GRRM thought the charity was worthwhile to donate his scripts to it then we should respect that.

Somebody stole them and now a charity will go without whatever funds would’ve been raised, but you’re life will carry on as normal. I actually want someone to steal something from you now, just so you know how it feels. Preferably your laptop/PC just so can’t go looking online for stolen scripts.

29. GaR
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 6:19 am | Permalink

I never send anything remotely valuable via the post; I use a courier company with track & trace and insurance and all the rest of it.

30. Taella
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 6:29 am | Permalink

Being in the postal service (although in Sweden) I have to say how much it pisses me off when someone sends a bunch of papers in a paper envelope. They suck! I don’t know how many get destroyed on the way because they are about the worst thing you can send something in. That said, if GRRM did use a paper envelope, it wouldn’t surprise me if it did break and wasn’t stolen.

31. Kevin
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Off topic, did anyone else notice that George Martin was kindly joked at on last night’s The Daily Show with Jon Stewart?

32. Lina
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Gah :(. I hope it was just some greedy person who was trying to capitalize on the TV show’s success and not an actual fan of the show, or more importantly, the books. Most ASOIAF fans I’ve met have been really cool; I would hate to think one of them would do this to George/Dan/charity. :(

33. the Gull
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 8:48 am | Permalink

I’m sure the thief had no idea it was for charity. And they can easily replace the scripts and have them signed again. No big deal that I can see.

34. Dolorous Dave
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 8:51 am | Permalink

I hope they’re caught and sent to the wall.

35. world_dancer
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 9:14 am | Permalink

Mmmm…

I think it’s worthy of being investigated as theft. It’s certainly possible.

But on the other hand, a friend of mine does a lot of mail order business. Presuming the scripts were thick, this could just have been a machinery issue. She’s gotten back packages like this where the envelope was ripped and the contents other than the invoice were completely missing. So it’s possible it’s just the standard screw up.

36. OhDanyBoy
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 9:18 am | Permalink

world_dancer,

Either that or your friend has been the unknowing victim of mail theft ;)

37. Aeron Greyjoy
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 9:18 am | Permalink

This is madness! CALL THE BANNERS! We sail at dawn…

38. K26dp
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Kevin,

Yeah, I saw that. John Hodgeman is a known ASoIaF fan.

39. TheFacelessMan
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 9:54 am | Permalink

MW,

Privatize everything (healthcare and social security included) Government should be there to regulate no run things. More competition typically, TYPICALLY, will spawn lower rates AND better service. The government doesn’t need to invest in the USPS they can leave it as is and things like this will happen. I’d rather pay 50 cents instead of 44 but have my package get where it’s going 3 days sooner and unharmed!

40. Nagga's Kin
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Isn’t hardcopy a bitch?

41. Hawk
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin,

I too am a little confused at the fuss. I think George was just mad at the time and reacted accordingly… They are scripts that have already aired, and therefore, no harm was really done. I’d hope that D and D and Alan Taylor would be willing to sign another copy and send it to the Charity. It’s unfortunate that someone would do that, but it pales in comparison to other crimes, considering that it really is victimless. I had someone hack my credit card and attempt to charge thousands of dollars to various random companies. I received her name and address and phone number in Chicago from one of the companies… I even called her phone myself to determine her guilt (her reaction completely gave her away). I filed with the Chicago police and the Austin police (where I live) and I’m still waiting to hear back… This was 3 months ago. It’s like a superhero movie; The police really don’t care.

42. Lauren Hitchcock
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 11:03 am | Permalink

That is sooo underhanded. I hope they catch the dirty thief!

43. AC
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Where is Joffrey when you need him?
    The righful punishment according to law; beheading and head on spike…

But seriously, I really hope they recover the scripts and catch the turd who stole them.

Posted August 17, 2011 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Just reprinting, resigning and resending the scripts won’t work because they won’t get there in time to be auctioned off at Worldcon. That is why GRRM is so upset.

45. Josh Parker
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 11:40 am | Permalink

I’m sorry, I know this is off-topic but is there a list of yet-to-be-cast roles that we KNOW will be included? I think I saw one on this site a while back (something about viewing audition tapes) but I don’t have time to look for it right now.

Posted August 17, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Josh Parker,

Blank roles are ones confirmed to have been auditioned but are not yet cast.

47. Josh Parker
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Lol, guess I should have just looked there. Thanks, WiC.

48. The Mourning Star
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Hawk,

I don’t think its the actual script he’s upset about, but rather the breach of trust.

Please try to keep the poltical rhetoric to a minimum

49. Josh Parker
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Hmmm. Somehow I thought Edmure was confirmed.

50. KG
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Steven Scott,

To quote “Oliver,”
    “Charity’s fine; subscribe to mine!”

51. The Mourning Star
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

KG: Steven Scott, To quote “Oliver,”“Charity’s fine; subscribe to mine!”

I think this discussion has officially fell into the toilet; we’re quoting musicals. May the seven save us.

52. Lanister accountant
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Having a bankrupt and utterly inept postal service does not excuse the actions of one potential thief. Whoever has those scripts had best grow a conscience and fast. As for the USPS, I’d rather have it all delivered via raven.

53. Kim
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

… we have a postal service for the same reason we have the internet. Because subversive material is easiest spread through distributed means. Don’t believe me? Read Ben Franklin’s Farmer’s Almanac.
    …Does everyone forget that a significant fraction of our founding fathers were Hellraisers in their youth? (eheh. I don’t think Franklin ever stopped, actually).

54. Kim
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

MW,
    The post office serves the public good, by delivering news to places in Alaska and Montana where UPS CANNOT deliver. See: places without roads into or out of them (went to one of them on Amtrak). [and yes, I'd rather we have a robust internet, with standard signing procedures, and use that. but that'll happen when pigs fly, because we don't invest in America anymore.]

55. cranscape
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Unfortunately I doubt he can just reprint the scripts. These were probably scripts used during filming of the episodes. That’s usually what gets donated as they are one of a kind. I also doubt he packaged it poorly. He has been sending giant stacks of paper through the mail for years as all authors do. Making sure you pack them so they don’t bust open is something he would have mastered a long time ago.

56. KG
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

The Mourning Star,

Yeah, sorry – had an 8th-grade drama class flashback. Won’t happen again.

57. Jillian
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

This is awful and I hope the scripts are returned soon…

On a completely different note, I just found out that a co-worker who has not read the books thought that Khal Drogo’s name was actually “Carl Drogo” and could not figure out why people were calling him “The Carl”. Needless to say, I am still laughing!

58. Elena Amici
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Jillian:
    On a completely different note, I just found out that a co-worker who has not read the books thought that Khal Drogo’s name was actually “Carl Drogo” and could not figure out why people were calling him “The Carl”.Needless to say, I am still laughing!

okay, this just made my day.
    From this day, Khal Drogo will be “The Carl” to me. It’s the new “HBOthers” & I’m dead serious about it.. good luck understanding my future posts, fellow wic-addicts!

59. Jillian
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici,

We’ve also begun referring to Dany as “the Carl-easy” around the office

60. Elena Amici
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Jillian,

LMAO, i think i love you…

61. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

The Ballintoy Harbour thread is a bit slow so I will post this here…………At Ballintoy last night on a black ops. recon type mission,boy that place is impregnable. One road in (closed a quarter mile from the set) , and the cliffs are crawling with K9 security patrols. Needless to say I was not able to infiltrate Iron Born territory.I so wanted to see the Longship moored in that tiny harbour. The only information I have is that there was fortyfive extras , a couple of rare breed sheep,and maybe ten horses , not including the Devils Horse Men and their mounts, all on set yesterday. And they finished shooting around 7pm……any ideas what scene they may have been filming?……… The harbour is to stay closed all week, so it will be interesting to see if we get any leaks or inside information……..ASTB.

62. Peltast
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

We need a Tickler. “Is there a script in the village? Is there a script in the village?”

63. andrea
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Jillian: and could not figure out why people were calling him “The Carl”.

Same here whit a cousin who saw the show at my house one night. I wanted to explain but could not stop laughing. I had forgotten about that.
    “Carl-easy”? hilarious.

64. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

OH yeah ………sorry about your missing scripts George,that sucks! Try asking a Hedge Witch for help, it`s worked for me!

65. faso
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

I didn’t find a better place to post it. I am sorry that it is off topic. Interview with Roy Dotrice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wcSeOrTAVs

66. OhDanyBoy
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Lord Two Feathers,

Maybe Theon arriving at the islands?

Thanks for the update!

67. Damryn of Dorne
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

I am just glad they werent for season 2 :)

68. Mourning Star
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Damryn of Dorne,

I’m glad this didn’t happen to the DwD manuscript!

69. hvacigar
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Behead them, or make them take the black.

70. Dekar
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Aziraphale,

We’re already being called Thronies

71. WARZ
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Here’s the thing, I’m blatently new 2 the whole GRRM universe, the TV series was my introduction.
    I’m not ‘down’ with with all the correct termonology, and the whole pronounciation of place names, characters Etc. (the various narrations of the audio books don’t help on that score) so forgive my ignorance.
    But at the end of the day I’m hooked.
    I listen 2 the audio books as a means to pass away my time at work (god bless MP3 players) and I’m currently up 2 ‘A Clash of Swords’.
    The fanbase here doesn’t seem as rabid as some of the other forums/blogs. I find the almost daily updates most informative and the commentators have many pertinant and valid points to make.
    Dire Wolf and proud!!!

72. loco73
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

GEORGE RR MARTIN and “A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE” were mentioned last night in a segment of the Daily Show with Jon Steward. It was in the second clip were comedian John Hodgman participated, and it was his take on what should happen to bookstores. Below I included a link to the Canadian version of Comedy Central, The Comedy Network. It is around minute 2:25 of the segment. I cannot access the video from Comedy Central , so most people here will have to look it up on their website.

John Hodgman has some interesting ideas on what should happen to writers who take too long to write their books…LOL!

73. Ralph
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

Assuming they were stolen, to me, doesn’t make a lot of sense. If they were outright stolen because of the name they were addressed to why would you put the empty envelope back in the mail? If it was opened to see what was inside, when you saw that it wasn’t new scripts or a new book, etc why wouldn’t you put it back inside the envelope, reseal it, and pretend it was a machinery error?

74. Langkard
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 2:41 am | Permalink

MW:

MW: I’m not suggesting that we privatize “things” (Gee I wonder what you mean…). I’m suggesting getting rid of a poorly-run government business that is borderline-obsolete and is running a deficit.Also, you will never convince any sane person that Fedex or UPS has worse service than the USPS. That’s ludicrous.

I’m not talking about anything other than postal services. EVERY time a postal service has been privatized elsewhere, it resulted in higher postage, less reliable service and more problems than it supposedly solved. Every time. No exceptions.

1. The USPS is the most efficient and one of the cheapest postal services in the world, and yet it is required, by law, to deliver to everyone – the “universal service” requirement is just that. Other, privatized ppostal services elsewhere have no such requirement. They don’t have to deliver a letter from a rural address in Florida to a rural address in Alaska, for example. Privatization of the USPS would mean the end of universal service, since no company would find it cost effective to deliver a birthday card from one rural address to another.

2. If private companies can do the job more efficiently and cheaply, then why don’t they deliver all that junk mail privately? Yes, there are companies which deliver parcels – UPS, FedEx, etc. But how often do you get all that junk mail from a private ocmpany? You don’t because private companies have to operate at a profit and delivering all that crap isn’t cost effective. If it was, someone would be doing it, right? Think about it. Only 1st class mail is restricted to the USPS by law. Nothing is stopping some private company from delivering all that bulk, junk, non-1st class mail – except that it isn’t profitable enough for them. So much for the more efficient, cheaper privatization argument.

3. The USPS receives NO tax dollars. Every penny it spends comes solely from postage and service revenue, not a penny from taxes. Not one penny. There are several reasons the USPS is in the red. It is required to fully fund retiree pensions into the future, something not done by any business. What this means is that the USPS is required to put aside money not just for current retirees but for all not-yet-retired employees, based on actuarial statistics for average longevity post-retirement. No other business has to do that. That is a huge chunk of their expenditures and can’t be made up by investments toward future costs, as is done everywhere else for retiree benefits. Cold hard cash funded in advance for all employees and retirees. The other major cost is the pressure put on the USPS to keep junk mail costs low to keep businesses happy. Those artificially low costs for junk mail have to be made up for by 1st class postage, which is the same from one side of NYC to another as it is from Key West to Honolulu. First class postage rates which are set by a politically appointed Board of Governors for the USPS.

Instead of parroting the privatization nonsense spewed by business interests who only want the profitable deliveries, say across town in major cities or one major city to another, it helps to have a few facts before jumping into the argument.

I’ll take the USPS over any other postal service in the world, public or private, thank you. Even with despicable events like what happened to those scripts.

75. Sid
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 3:01 am | Permalink

Langkard,

and BAM!! Shutout win in argumentation. :)
    Well done Langkard.

On another note, do we have any fans in Croatia that can find the filming sets for us and maybe share with us?

76. Udi
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 5:08 am | Permalink

Hmm…
    They should consider using ravens next time…

77. Moe
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 5:43 am | Permalink

Peltast:

Hahaha!

There needs to be a new update and fast. Just something to distract me from AFFC… my God half of the POVs are so boring!

78. Langkard
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Sid:
    Langkard,

and BAM!! Shutout win in argumentation. :)
    Well done Langkard.

We have several frequent posters here from Croatia. I’m sure we’ll be seeing some good stuff from them when filming starts there. I don’t think it has yet, or we’d be hearing from The Rabbit and the others. They won’t let us down!

79. Connie
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:01 am | Permalink

WARZ: That being said, the ‘theft’ of series 1 scripts don’t really amount to a hill of bean’s doe’s it?

Well, we are the kind of people who would likely notice a script up on Ebay, Craigslist or other potential profitable sites. While it doesn’t affect Series 1 or any future projects, it does hurt the charities it was meant to be auctioned off for as well as the earnest fan who would happily have bid on them.

80. Hawk
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Come on! Let’s be creative… The scripts don’t actually have to be on location when they’re auctioned off.

81. Hawk
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:33 am | Permalink

The Mourning Star,

Breach of trust from people whom he doesn’t even know? I acknowledged that he was overblowing the situation, regardless of what actually made him mad. I’d be mad too, but if these guys can’t swing another copy for auction then I don’t know how they manage to make a tv show… The actual copy doesn’t have to be present to get it auctioned.

I find it odd that you get on to me about “political rhetoric,” yet you say nothing to the clowns openly admonishing charity… and you haven’t said anything to the people discussing privatized vs. government entities???? Did you just really not like what I have to say??

82. Bro
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Dekar:
    Aziraphale,

We’re already being called Thronies

I prefer Sid’s one: GRRMbledore’s Army! Made me chuckle out load at that.

83. Abyss
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Off-Topic (again…):
    Larry from OtakuASSEMBLE received a GOT package. ;-)

84. Impi
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

Abyss,

That was really cool. What a nice gesture and great present. I am so jealous.

85. world_dancer
    Posted August 24, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

It has to do with one of the machines used in the process. If you put thick materials in an envelope, the machine has been known to get stuck and then cause the contents to come spurting out of the envelope. The envelope sails on down the line and a bunch of random papers/books is left on the floor.

86. WARZ
    Posted August 24, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Connie,

In my drunken fervour, I had failed to take into account the charitable aspect of the stolen scripts.
    Stealing from a charity is unforgivable, I should choose my words more wisely.
    Plz take into account my drunken stupour and accept my deepest apologies.
    (BTW I’m drunk now and in no way is this comment meant as sarcasm).