Game of Thrones on late night
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

Jason Momoa has been making the talk show rounds lately due to the upcoming release of Conan the Barbarian, in which he stars. A couple weeks back he went onto the The Tonight Show and although they didn’t talk Game of Thrones it is still a good watch for you Momoa fans out there (and who isn’t a fan of the guy at this point?). Check it out: part 1, part 2.

A couple nights ago, Jason went onto Conan O’Brien’s show, Conan. Yes, “Conan” was on Conan. This is another good watch and Jason and Coco talk Thrones a bit as well.

While we’re talking Jason Momoa, check out his interview with NBC Los Angeles in which he busts out some Dothraki on entertainment reporter Sasha Perl-Raver. She told me it was the proudest moment of her professional career.

Lastly, while not strictly Game of Thrones-related, George R. R. Martin did a get a mention on The Daily Show the other night when comedian (and huge Thrones and Ice & Fire fan) John Hodgman joked that book stores should offer live author writing sessions.

1. Josh Parker
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Who cares? More casting news!!

Seriously this has been the slowest week. Hope this is just the calm before the storm.

2. Sid
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Awesome!

Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Josh Parker, wasn’t the storm last week? This is the calm after the storm. ;)

4. Josh Parker
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Still got lots of roles unannounced. I’m a casting junkie. I want, nay NEED, to know who’s playing Ygritte, Edmure, Balon, Aeron, Jojen and Meera, Belwas, etc.

…or if they’re even included!?

5. Paco
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:20 am | Permalink

As much as I love him, I always get secondhand embarrassment whenever he starts spouting his dothraki. lol he just gets so into it. its like theres no way for him to casually speak dothraki, he needs to make faces and get all intense and shit.

6. Josh Parker
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Not to mention we know Dontos is cast but not who’s playing him! Going a little crazy with anticipation here!

7. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Jason Momoa is the coolest guy on Earth.

8. Josh Parker
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:28 am | Permalink

AND (this is fucking infuriating) we know Rorge and Biter are cast (we’ve even seen them!) but no word on who these actors are! I mean, there’s no need for secrecy; we’ve already seen them! Why don’t we know their names?!

9. OhDanyBoy
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Josh Parker,

I bet they get recast for S2.

10. dizzy_34
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

Was about to say the same thing.

11. Josh Parker
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:43 am | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

And you’re basing this on what? The fact that they didnt speak? That’s a huge, and totally unfounded, assumption. And when you make an assumption, you make an ass out of you and umption.

12. OhDanyBoy
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Josh Parker,

I’m basing it on the common sense that the producers probably didn’t want to have to cast actors (or at least actor) with future speaking parts for a 3 second shot in the first season. We didn’t see Jaqen, who will be a much more memorable character with a larger role – his unique looks and large role prompted them to use an extra with a hood rather than cast him a season early. Since Rorge and Biter are much more minor characters (and almost caricatures at that), they didn’t have to bother with the hoods for them. Here’s a question for you: why are you assuming they won’t be recast? You know what happens when we assume…

13. Viktor Norberg
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Josh Parker:

actually its a pretty sound bet… doubt they cast two actors in season 1 just too sit on a wagon and look mean… that would be like casting an actor as Mance Rayder and have him appearing in the Winterfell feast scene.

The guys on the wagon are probably just extras… and why would the show need Rorge and Biter anyway? Jaqen’s the interesting one.

14. Josh Parker
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:59 am | Permalink

I don’t buy it. If that were the case they simply wouldn’t have shown them; Yoren would have just pointed at the wagon or they all three would have had hoods up. Instead the camera lingers on them while dramatic music plays. We’re supposed to remember them. I’ll be surprised if these roles are recast.

15. OhDanyBoy
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Josh Parker: I’ll be surprised if these roles are recast.

Sounds like a plan ;)

In all seriousness, there is a chance you are right – but I would still bet on them being recast, since if they were being kept, certainly GRRM would have given us a clue by now. In fact if they were being truly ‘cast’ we would likely have gotten their names last year – as eventual speaking parts, they would be important enough to announce.

Either way, this doesn’t reduce the frustration with not knowing the actors playing those characters in S2, since surely they have begun filming already.

16. dizzy_34
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Josh Parker,

You don’t think they would just put an ‘easter egg’ moment in there for the readers?

Posted August 18, 2011 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Josh Parker:
    OhDanyBoy,

18. dizzy_34
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

I thought he did speak? Probably just “Yes m’lord, it will be done” or something like that. Not to get technical or anything. That’s a good example though. I wonder if they’re going to re-cast Old Nan or just religate her to a background character?

19. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: It’s actually not an unfounded assumption because we have been told that even the role of Beric Dondarrion, which didn’t have any speaking lines but the actor was quite visible, would probably be recast once the role became more prominent.

He said “As you command” when Ned sent him to kill Gregor.

Posted August 18, 2011 at 11:25 am | Permalink

dizzy_34,
    Alexander Dubrovsky,

I thought he just nodded? Either way, he’s probably going to be recast.

21. Lurker
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 11:41 am | Permalink

What about Ramsay Snow/Bolton? Anyone know if this character is going to be around? He becomes important later on…

22. Shinyteapot
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Beric is a unique case given his appearance could change dramatically by the next time we see him which might make recasting easier. AIUI, which may be wrong, there’s no contract obliging the original actor to return- so he could be recast or not. (If D&D decide to make it a big role, they could decide they want someone well known of course).

I’m pretty sure he had a line, but I doubt that matters much. So did Jhiqui (or nameless extra who we can assume to be Jhiqui!). On another topic, anyone care to lay bets on whether or not Doreah will die- thinking she might live on and ‘Jhiqui’ die instead?’

Rorge and Biter could be recast, but maybe the decision is they’ll be featured extras/played by stunt actors (fighting skills etc) with very few lines, and those two had already agreed to return if asked? Those are roles I could easily see limited to ‘be evil in the background, fight when required’.

23. fuelpagan
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

I really don’t see the point of recasting Beric unless the actor they have just can’t cut it or some scheduling conflict.
    Beric’s prominence is as a phantom. He is talked about a lot but we only see him twice going forward. Once with the big fight to the death and then with Catelyn. They could expand the role and show more of Beric, but I don’t see it as necessary.

Posted August 18, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Another factor to consider with regards to Rorge and Biter: those scenes were filmed in Malta. And, by all accounts, it looks like they won’t be returning there. If those were just Maltese extras, than they will certainly recast the roles. If they were UK actors flown into Malta for the role, than they probably won’t. (Why would they go through the trouble of casting two UK actors and flying them to Malta for a 3 second scene, just to recast in season two?)

Hard to know which it could be but they did have a more Anglo-Saxon look than a Mediterranean one to me.

25. Delta1212
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Paco:

There is no word for casual in Dothraki.

26. The Rabbit
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

A DELICIOUS article for our hair, eyebrow, etc nitpickers! ;)

27. Josh Parker
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

That’s my point; why would they even bother showing us the characters at all if they didn’t plan on sticking with these actors? They even gave Biter the teeth!

I could be wrong, but I sincerely doubt HBO would go to the trouble of putting fake sharp teeth on an actor and showing the audience these two unsavory characters if they didn’t plan on using them again. Fake teeth aren’t easy or quick to make. They’ve got to form to the actor’s gums, meaning that if they don’t use him, they’ll have to make a completely new set this year. They’re not super-expensive, but if you’ve got a set made already, why make another?

28. sjwenings
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

29. Julian Walker
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

@Josh Parker

Damn, you’re quite eager today aren’t you?

30. OhDanyBoy
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker: They’re not super-expensive, but if you’ve got a set made already, why make another?

You really think this concerns the producers more than finding the right actors for the roles?

31. Josh Parker
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Julian Walker,

I really want to know who all they cast, yes.

As for Biter, I don’t think they would have gone to the trouble of fitting an extra for the teeth unless they figured he was the right actor. Not to mention Biter’s not exactly a hard role to pull off.
    OhDanyBoy,

OhDanyBoy,

32. Abyss
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Off Topic
    A very special GOT theme version.^^ I don’t know what to say about this. – I think I go with lol.^^

33. Jo
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

I wouldn’t mind giving Jason Momoa a tummy rub.

Conan, you lucky bastard.

34. David Moore
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Abyss,

You gotta admit, those are some pretty rad track suits.

35. Julian Walker
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

To be honest, I can’t blame Josh….I, too, have been waiting for a while to see the rest of the cast of characters especially Jojen and Meera (reallllyyyyyyy looking foward to Bran’s storyline). The past few days (or has it be a week?) has been a bit stagnant in terms of news. But I suppose after a week where cast members where popping up left and right this is to be expected.

Still, the Reed sibilings man….

WHERE ARE THEY!?!?!

36. Lauren Hitchcock
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Yarn! xD

37. julandro
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

I am julandro and I’m trying to see if Eugene Simon will have some sex scene in the second season. I’ve asked for twitter and says she can not answer. hehehehe

38. Coltaine777
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

OT…45min till George reads a chapter from Winds of Winter…I can’t wait….it’s already a madhouse over here…

39. grandmaFunk
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

anyone in the US feel like reposting these interviews to youtube, these are all blocked for poor Canadians like me :(

40. Zack
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

That was one of the best interviews I’ve seen in a long time. I like Conan, but he tends to be mediocre at interviews (you often see him going to note cards to ask ‘spontaneous sounding’ questions where there’s a clear feeling he talked to the guest pre-show and let him know what kind of questions he’d ask)

For that interview, though, you could tell they were just having a good time. Jason Momoa has a great personality for these shows. I know the Conan movie isn’t supposed to be very good, but I’m tempted to see it anyway because I’m kind of a fan now. hehe

41. Sean Fan
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

sjwenings: Cool enough, but i find the Maisie Williams new haircut for season 2-news more interesting.She looks pretty tomboyish here. Don’t expect her to style it quite like that for the show, though..

That link doesn’t work if you’re not on Twitter!

BTW….isn’t this thread suppose to be comments on Jason Momoa? LOL! I got a kick out of the Baywatch clip they showed! OMG! Did he hit puberty AFTER that show aired? LOL! He wasn’t very big! The difference now is amazing! He does a great interview and is very relaxed and funny. Seems like a great “regular” guy.

42. Cavegirl
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Alexander Dubrovsky:
    Jason Momoa is the coolest guy on Earth.

He really is.

Us Momoa fans, we’ve had so many interviews of him lately, we weren’t able to keep up.

He did about 30 or more each day at Comic Con and about the same amount at his LA premiere of Conan and in London too. And even if he is a bit sick at the moment, he is hilarious in each of them.
    He is still talking about Game of Thrones and how he liked to play Khal Drogo ( even more than Conan ). But don’t tell the Conan fans.
    We’re going to miss his portrayal as Khal Drogo and I’m missing my daily read over here.

Have fun with season 2.

43. cwolf
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Absolute off-topic, but the Pope is going to pray on The Wall of West… sorry, Madrid

The Wall

44. Dreamlife
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

sjwenings,

Haha, she seems to be sporting a Justin Beiber ‘do. I can’t wait to see Arry in season 2, she’s so adorable!

Posted August 18, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Dreamlife:
    sjwenings,

Haha, she seems to be sporting a Justin Beiber ‘do.I can’t wait to see Arry in season 2, she’s so adorable!

Seriously, it looks exactly like Justin Bieber! I hope it’s not quite so Bieber-esque in the show (more messy, less combed forward).

46. Bro
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Coltaine777:

Hold up, where is George reading this? Will someone be videoing it or what? Damn, I don’t know how the hell I missed that bit of news.

47. Sean Fan
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

Can someone post another link to the pic of Arya’s new hairdo? I’m not on Twitter.

48. Thiago Slash
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

grandmaFunk:

ot only Canadians… Brazilians too =/

49. Susan C
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Oh, Jason…. pink cadillac? Heavy eye makeup? If Conan bombs, there’s a career in Mary Kay waiting for you. ;)

50. Kingthlayer
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker:
    OhDanyBoy,

Josh Parker: asting Beric unless the actor they have just can’t cut it or some scheduling conflict.

I highly doubt they went to the trouble to “fit” an actor for teeth for a scene that lasted half a second, regardless of whether or not the actor will remain. It’s just a ridiculous plastic cap that fits universally, they wouldn’t waste money that foolishly.

51. freezerburnnt
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

whose going to be meera and jojen?

52. Elena Amici
    Posted August 19, 2011 at 6:03 am | Permalink

sjwenings,

she’s still incredibly cute xD

53. the blind girl
    Posted August 19, 2011 at 6:09 am | Permalink

Sean Fan,

LMAO. That’s cute. If I knew that was to be Khal Drogo when he was on baywatch…I may have cried

54. Paco
    Posted August 19, 2011 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Susan C,

i dont know if uve already seen it but heres the picture

55. Damryn of Dorne
    Posted August 19, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Thiago Slash: ot only Canadians… Brazilians too =/

damn i thought it was only me :( but its weird cause i can view other vids on his site… just not this one :(

56. Rogue Entity