Dubrovnik filming locations revealed
By Hear Me Roar on in Filming, News, Rumors.

Save for an official HBO announcement (which are unfortunately completely non-existent these days), filming in Croatia is a done deal, and so is the fact that Malta has been dropped as a location. First the minor part of the news: open casting for extras starts next week, there have been radio and poster ads placed in Dubrovnik. The project has not been explicitly named, but specified as a “medieval series”, and they are looking for around 200 extras of all ages (some more info at the end of this Dubrovniknet.hr article). Call 091 631 6558 from Croatia to sign up. By the way, in case you missed this piece of info: rumour has it the Croatian production partner is the Jadran Film company. the Embassy Films company (apparently the original rumour was incorrect).

Fort Bokar and the Minčeta tower

Now to the juicy exclusive bits! Our BloodRabbit with a thousand eyes and one has entered a clandestine liaison with a local deep-throat reporting on the production, but who is not directly involved (so no agreements have been broken). They have revealed known shooting locations in and around the town of Dubrovnik, and what they are planned to stand for. If you haven’t done so yet, check this post from Thursday on the dates of filming, and then enjoy the known list of locations and the photos we dug out:

• The city is generally going to stand for King’s Landing
  • St. Dominic Street in Dubrovnik – a scene with Gold Cloaks
  • Lokrum island olive groves and meadows – some outdoor scenes
  • Lokrum island Benedictine monastery – part of Qarth
  • Dubrovnik palaces – Qarth locations
  • The Knežev dvor (The Rector’s Palace) and Sponza palaces
  • Lovrijenac (Fort of St. Lawrence)
  • Fort Bokar and the Minčeta tower

Follow me through the jump for more photos.

St. Dominic Street

Lokrum olive grove

Lokrum monastery

Knežev Dvor palace

Sponza palace

Fort of St. Lawrence

Posted August 21, 2011 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Great info! Nice job The Rabbit in digging it up. And to Hear Me Roar for compiling some exceptional photos. Excited to see Dubrovnik on screen!

2. Assunta
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 9:32 am | Permalink

Wow! Love the way the circle towers totally reflect the opening credit sequence. It’s almost like somebody knew . . .

3. jellydonut
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 9:32 am | Permalink

Looks lovely, but I am still confused as to how they can cut Malta out entirely. Won’t it look much too different compared to last season?

4. Assunta
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 9:33 am | Permalink

OT: 2nd! A personal best!!!

5. Degausser
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 9:38 am | Permalink

this is gonna be so sweet, I’m so excited :D

6. spacechampion
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Bloodrabbit! She has a thousand eyes and one!

7. Nagga's Kin
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 9:51 am | Permalink

@ jellydonut,

The story will no doubt take Danaerys and her khalasar to new locations, hundreds or thousands of miles from where her dragons hatched. Continuing to shoot in Malta would actually cause visual confusion.

8. jellydonut
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin:
    @ jellydonut,

That’s true – but I didn’t mean that. I mean how Dubrovnik will stand in for King’s Landing. It looks quite different from Malta.

9. Elena Amici
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Wow! I love the locations :)
    thanks for the news – you guys are GREAT
    all hail BloodRabbit!!

10. Adam Whitehead
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Judicious use of camera angles and keeping the massive CGI Red Keep in the background will likely minimise the problems of Mdina and Dubrovnik looking different (actually, based on the pics above, they look similar, at least to the casual eye). They can also keep the colour grading the same to provide continuity.

11. Zed
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 10:33 am | Permalink

I second all of the above, at least my sources do.

You guys at WiC are so fast! I am half way through in compiling almost identical post to this one!

And for that you will always be supported!

12. Johan Sporre
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 10:34 am | Permalink

I can’t believe the level of detail in these spy-reports :) BloodRabbit indeed.

I have to say there are some stunning locations around Dubrovnik, topped with a fort that from the sea looks almost exactly like I imagined Storm’s End.

13. Ivan Popić
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Nice :)
    It is going to be nice recognizing streets of Dubrovnik in season 2 next year. A few more pictures to help visualize.

Interior of Sponza palace

Pila gates Ploča gates- there are several city gates in Kings Landing so it isn’t really a problem if the Maltese ones from first season aren’t shown.

Inner court of Franciscan monastery in Dubrovnik with garden in the middle of it.

atrium of Rector’s Palace (Knežev Dvor), popular concert venue for classical music.
    But even small streets can offer breath-taking views.

I hope Dubrovnik and Game of Thrones production team will get along nicely. I’ll be keeping an eye on news as well even though I doubt anything can escape our Bloodrabbit.

14. Domenico Barbato
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Sorry, I’ve been out of the loop for some time, so this is new to me – no more filming in Malta? Why? When did this happen?

15. Zed
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Johan Sporre,

Well, it’s simple. The hole City is thrilled. I think that all people of Dubrovnik will become fans of the show, and fast. I also think HBO Adria should organize special festival-like airing of the first season, if not frequent airing in the local theaters.

WiC plays a big role in all of this. Many people had the information but were not in a position to release it. Sort of like Wikileaks for Westeros you guys are.

16. Ivan Popić
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Johan Sporre:
    I can’t believe the level of detail in these spy-reports :) BloodRabbit indeed.

Fun fact about Lovrijenac fortress – even though it is heavily fortified the walls towards the city are actually very thin. Reason for this is that the Dubrovnik Republic was really scared of any individual seizing absolute power in the city and thin walls of Lovrijenac were one of the measures to ensure it. The fortress is situated on a higher ground then the city and if held with so they wanted to be sure no one can use it against the city itself.

Other measures to promote public interest were that the Rector held his term for only a month and during that time he was completely separated from his family and spent almost all of his term locked up in Rector’s Palace doing public work.
    Also, no statues of individuals were permitted which aren’t of the city saint. The only exceptions were statues of Orlando and one of rich captain who died childless and left his fortune to the Republic. I guess that was meant to be a positive example to the citizens of the Republic of Dubrovnik.

17. Ingemar Svensson
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 11:30 am | Permalink

I wonder what they will do with the Red Keep exteriors that have been established with Malta buildings. I guess they might need to redo some places with VFX if they want to keep the continuity or perhaps they just move scenes into other areas. Not sure how many places in King’s Landing that will be revisited though but I imagine Littlefingers brothel would be one place.

18. Tar Kidho
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Some depend on little birds, we have our Rabbit!

19. metalgoddessamb
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

With the loss of Malta, I had a feeling that Croatia was going to be Kings Landing. With the use of clever CGI, we probably won’t even notice the difference in location. And I think Dubrovnik actually makes a better Kings Landing anyway, kind of fits my minds eye better than the Malta locations.

20. tysnow
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Gratz to Croatia, sucks to be Malta.
    Anyway been looking more closely at Dubrovnik pics and the beach in this pic looks like a good spot to film

Tyrion sallying forth.

Here is another look at Dubronik from a Dragon’s perspective, can you feel it.

Concerning merging Malta’s K.L. too Dubrovnik, they could cgi a new view of K.L. from the other side, blend Dubrovnik in seemlessly as the entrance to the Blackwater and there you have it. They could even call Dubrovnik, the lower city or harbor city portion of K.L. for any casual viewer who might notice a slight difference.

On another note, the square in the upper center of the aerial pic, the one next to a 4-5 story structure and with a direct view of the city wall, looks to be large enough to film the scenes with King Joff and his plaything.

21. Thimbrin
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Amazing! The date is not said yet right?

22. GeorgeFan
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Dubrovnic will be a great stand-in for King’s Landing, you won’t notice any difference in the switch from Malta to Dubrovnik on screen – as someone who’s spent time in both Malta and Dubrovnic, some/a lot of the architecture, colouring, style, streets and squares etc are very similar. And Dubrovnic and environs is also certainly versatile enough to offer other beautiful contrasting sites and locales for the portrayal of Quarth. I imagine it’s going to stand in for Storms End and Dragonstone too.

Posted August 21, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Thimbrin,

Check the link in the post. We wrote about that in an earlier post.

24. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

I do believe I just had an orgasm XD

25. HonestJerk
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

But where will the Red Waste be filmed? Or are they going to cut it?
    To answer my own question:

Season 2, Episode 1 “The Comet” : Cut to an already shot image of Dothraki tents in Malta. Cut to interior of tent (aka filmed on a set). Ser Jorah walks in, claims he can see a Dothraki horde in the distance. They need to flee. Dany & Jorah discuss options. Jorah says they’d have to cross the Red Waste, but there are cities to the Southeast.
    Season 2, Episode 2 “You are Somebody”: Dany, Jorah & rest don’t appear
    Season 2, Episode 3 “Brienne the Beauty”: Dany and Company ride into Qarth and are greeted by Xaro Xhoan Daxos, Pyatt Pree and Quaithe

26. Chris77
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

I think Croatia will be perfect for the Riverlands and Riverrun as well. I love the pics from Dubrovnik. I wonder if in the coming seasons they might move to Greece as well, with it’s islans it would be quite diverse for The free cities and Slaver’s Bay. Greece could certainly use some foreign investments;)

27. KG
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

jellydonut,

With some color correction to beige it all up, it shouldn’t be too much of a stretch.

Hope that beach was worth it, Malta.

28. Katarina
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

:D:D I’m going to sign up

29. gunsmith
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Well, of to Dubrovnik than :D

30. Summer
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

How about some pics of Dubrovnik during the storm when southern winds blow, to see how our Storm’s End will look like :))

31. the goat
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

KG: Hope that beach was worth it, Malta.

Exactly. I sorta forgot about that whole deal, but now that you mention it I’m sure D&D/HBO have known for a while that they wouldn’t be going back there.

32. ralia
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Ivan Popić,

That’s fascinating (at least to me). Now, I’m going to spend the next few hours reading Croatian history.

It’s sad to hear that there wouldn’t be any scenes in Malta, though. I loved the atmosphere in the city.

33. Lala
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

What was with the beach in Malta?

I’m so excited about Dubrovnik! :) So close to my country! They could film the Riverland in Plitvice… And while they’re there, they should come to Slovenia to film something as well. :P Pleaaase?

34. Ratatat
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

KG:
    jellydonut,
    Hope that beach was worth it, Malta.

Well, if they actually did ruin a protected beach by covering it with false sand, essentially ruining the beach’s ecosystem, it’s quite bad. To preserve the nature is important, and I for one understand that Malta mightn’t have wanted them to come back after that.

I would however wager it wasn’t intentional and an unfortunate result of a misunderstanding due to poor communication.

35. KG
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Ratatat,

If it was a protected beach, then they should never have given permission to film there. They did it to themselves, then blamed the production team. Screw them.

36. Elena Amici
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Lala: What was with the beach in Malta?

this.
    ??

37. Tar Kidho
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

KG:
    Ratatat,

If it was a protected beach, then they should never have given permission to film there. They did it to themselves, then blamed the production team.Screw them.

So if a production is given permission to film in, let’s say, Monument Valley, and against the rules they decide to blow up one of the buttes because it would fit their movie, you would blame the people handing out the permission?

Elena Amici,

This is what people are referring to. Don’t know how bad it really was, and who is to blame, but it shouldn’t have happened…

38. Ratatat
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

KG:
    Ratatat,

Hardly. If a production asks for permission to film on a protected location and is granted that permission they are bound to be granted to do so only because they have been informed of, and agreed to follow, certain restrictions. No proper authority would agree to a production company filming in a protected area without thoroughly explaining what the rules are.

I’m not saying that HBO disregarded what information they were given, neither would I assume the maltese authorities didn’t give them any restrictions. As I wrote, it likely happened due to poor communication between the two.

NOTE: Obviously it’s irresponsible to issue a permit to film on protected land, and shouldn’t be done in the first place – but it was given. What I mean is that they weren’t allowed to do so without restrictions.

39. AbstractPlain
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Haven’t posted here in a long while, but I think its a shame that the production would lose Malta over the beach fiasco. I would’ve have imagined that providing people jobs would be more important than beaches, but there you go. I guess the only thing they would lose would be the exterior sets right? I imagine the indoor sets are easy enough to replicate elsewhere. Hopefully the production team take better care this time to not allow a similar situation to occur in Croatia, not to mention judging from those pics it looks like a great location!

40. userj
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

HonestJerk:
    But where will the Red Waste be filmed? Or are they going to cut it?
    To answer my own question:

Season 2, Episode 1 “The Comet” :Cut to an already shot image of Dothraki tents in Malta. Cut to interior of tent (aka filmed on a set). Ser Jorah walks in, claims he can see a Dothraki horde in the distance.They need to flee.Dany & Jorah discuss options.Jorah says they’d have to cross the Red Waste, but there are cities to the Southeast.
    Season 2, Episode 2 “You are Somebody”:Dany, Jorah & rest don’t appear
    Season 2, Episode 3 “Brienne the Beauty”: Dany and Company ride into Qarth and are greeted by Xaro Xhoan Daxos, Pyatt Pree andQuaithe

Yuck, I certainly hope you are wrong. The best scenes in Dany’s entire CoK arc except the house of the undying take place in the red waste.

Doreah and half the khalasaar dying, Dany sending her bloodriders to find civiliazation, each returning with a different story, then finally rakharo returning with the three strangers. Jorah telling about Lynesse and Dany realizing he’s in love with her (this last could be in quarth instead I suppose, but not he rest)…

41. Elena Amici
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

wow…..

42. Steven Scott
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

That is one cool looking city.

43. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Nice one Rabbit….thanks for your enthusiastic digging,great report………ASTB. Good news for all Croatian fans. My advice , if you want to be an extra, register tomorrow. Two hundred extras is not so many for a four week shoot, and you don`t want to miss your opportunity to be IN the show………..The down side for us NI extras is that after Croatia they could go straight to Iceland,which could mean the production won`t be back to NI untill November(potentially). Which would only give us four to six weeks to be called up before series two finishes sometime in December.But I guess we have had it mostly all our way up til now,so I shouldn`t complain too much.

44. Tar Kidho
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

AbstractPlain: I think its a shame that the production would lose Malta over the beach fiasco.

As far as I know, it’s not sure that that was the main reason. I can imagine it was put into the equation, but ultimately, I think it more likely that D&D just went looking for a similar (mediterranian)-looking filming location with larger and more varried surroundings necessary for the next season(s).

Posted August 21, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

I’m very excited about this. Malta was gorgeous, but it didn’t really fit my image of King’s Landing. I have a feeling that a European location will be much more appropriate. I hope it looks a little more like medieval Europe, and a little less mediterranean.

46. StarkyZG
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Thank you, Rabbit! This is such exciting news!
    So it looks like I’m taking another trip to Dubrovnik this year :) Anyone interested in joining me if there’s room in the car?

47. morbiczer
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Lex,

But Malta is a European location, and Dubrovnik looks a lot like Malta.

48. Rob
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

That last picture looks like a foundation for Dragonstone to me.

49. knowsomething
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Wow, if what they are saying in that article is true, I wouldn’t be surprised if HBO doesn’t get sued for it.

Posted August 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

knowsomething,

Hugely exaggerated here, they have settled, and we have discussed the whole issue ad nauseam.

51. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Here are some facts about Dubrovnik:
    Fact one:
    Did you know that the Republic of Dubrovnik was one of the first countries in the world to recognize the United States of America as a sovereign country? :)
    Fact two:
    Did you know that the oldest pharmacy in Croatia and one of the oldest in Europe was built in Dubrovnik in 1282? :)
    Fact three:
    the Republic of Dubrovnik was the first country to institute a quarantine to protect the city from epidemics. The year was 1377
    Fact four:
    the merchant navy of the Republic of Dubrovnik was the third largest navy in Europe for almost a hundred years
    Fact five:
    the people of Dubrovnik had a rule not to hold any councils during “juzhina”, a south wind which has a bad effect upon ppl making them nervous and testy
    Fact six:
    slavery was abolished in 1416 making Dubrovnik the first country in Europe to do so
    Fact seven:
    Richard the Lionheart found a safe harbour at Lokrum island while returning to England from the Crusades
    Fact eight:
    the diplomatic corp of Dubrovnik, called “poklisari” had an extensive network all around Europe reaching as far as Egypt and England.
    Fact nine:
    during the Battle of Lepanto ( the biggest naval battle of that time) out of 202 ships of the Holy League, 39 were from Croatia and of of those 30 were from Dubrovnik. Their ships, called “nave” and “galijuni”, were among the most advanced ships of the era.
    Fact ten:
    during the Croatian Homeland War (1991-1995) Dubrovnik was heavily bombarded and damaged, around 2000 bombs fell on the old city with over 5000 on the city proper. Sponza Palace, St. Ignatius church and other places were shelled. Around 70% of the structures within the Old City suffered damage to some extent.

Posted August 21, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

morbiczer:
    Lex,

But Malta is a European location, and Dubrovnik looks a lot like Malta.

True. But Malta is an archipelago/island in the Mediterranean. Croatia is mainland Europe. I know it’s still southern Europe, but from the photos it has less of a Mediterranean look to me. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling it will be a much better King’s Landing.

53. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Lex,

How can it have a less of a Mediterranean look when it has Med. climate, same as Malta :)

Posted August 21, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Andrija Andrew P,

I’m talking about architecture, but I’m no expert. I just feel like Croatia is a better fit than Malta. Although I guess it has a lot of Mediterranean influence, now that I’m looking on the map.

Posted August 21, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Question: were all the Red Keep interior scenes shot in the Paint Hall? What about inside Ned’s chambers, when you could see sunlight through the windows and balconies?

56. Ivan Popić
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

tysnow:

As long as they avoid the big Jesuit church that dominates that square they can do it. Leading to that square are some really photogenic stairs…

57. Elena Amici
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Andrija Andrew P,

Lex,

i think lex is right. I’ve never been in croatia, but i’ve been in malta and some parts looked A LOT like morocco or turkey..

58. Ivan Popić
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

ralia,

If you have any questions just ask away, I AM a history professor after all…

59. Zed
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

StarkyZG,

I am thinking on taking the bus on Monday evening (leaves 19.00) and drive all night. So if you come up with personal vehicle solution – count me in! But I am not sure that anyone would wont to drive 6h x2 in one day.

Otherwise, join me on the bus!

60. Ivan Popić
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

It seems I have quoted a wrong post but I don’t have an option to edit it. Sorry, it was ment to be an answer to that post.

61. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Ivan Popić,

Yep kill the lamps, erase the tourists in your pic and there you have it…

Lex,

As for the architecture I’d say it’s pretty much the standard all around the Med. basin. Some places in Spain and Turkey have a more exotic look and some places in Greece and France have that uniform,new-age building look in the bigger cities and tourist resorts but it’s all the same. I personally always imagined Kings Landing to have a different feel to it, sans palm-trees but as things stand….

62. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

What’s the price from Zagreb to DU?

63. Ivan Popić
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Andrija Andrew P:
    What’s the price from Zagreb to DU?

Around 250 kuna tops. But it takes 11 hours to get there if you get a fast connection.

64. Fire And Blood
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

I write for WiC and I’m amazed by 3/4ths of the stuff we get.

Awesome info, HmR, Wabbit!

Posted August 21, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

Thanks.

And me too. Many a morning I refresh and go waaaaa blblblbl woohoo yay :P

(Please don’t quote that.)

66. purplejilly
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

oh my, wouldn’t it be fun to sneak an extra in the background with an ‘always support the bottom’ tshirt on.. heheheheh.. Guess they would cut them out, though.. No tshirts in westeros..

67. StarkyZG
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Zed,

some friends of mine and me are planning to go to Du for a weekend during the shooting, i.e. some time after 19 sep. I don’t know if it makes much sense to go any sooner. I don’t know how many of us will be coming but it’s likely that there will be room in the car. What’s your email?

68. Zed
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

StarkyZG,

dvijezmije na vrućoj pošti

69. tysnow
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Ivan Popić,

WoW!, That truely is an eye opening stair/street, D&D definitely need to film a scene utilizing that stair, it’s absolutely gorgeous. By the way Ivan, since your the neighborhood Professor of History, can you tell me if those battlements were designed to handle cannons, it sure looks that way, and if so when were they rebuilt to accomodate them.

It’s a shame about the shelling and bombing of the walled city back twenty years ago, it seems besides the human cost, historic architecture also suffers. It is beyond me that in these modern times, someone would purposely attempt to destroy an ancient and world heritage site as Dubrovnik, let alone the human suffering caused. My heart goes out to those involved, and may they never have to endure it again.

70. HMZ
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Here’s to actually having cold opens!

71. Mormegil
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead: The biggest problems are the King’s Landing gate, which was in Mdina and looks very distinctive, and the Sept of Baelor, which was the main square in Mdina. However, there are no scenes in front of the Sept of Baelor which can’t be moved elsewhere or put off to later seasons (when, you never know, thay may be able to return to Malta).

We’ve already seen two different gates into the City (Cat and Rodrick ride through a different gate) so introducing a third that leads into a different area of the City won’t be a problem IMO.

The Great Sept could be a problem but IIRC I don’t think there’s another scene set there till AFFC.

72. loco73
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

The pictures are simply stunning! Wow, I forgot how beautiful Croatia was…and by the way yay for Eastern Europe! I am glad that more and more movies and series are being shot in Eastern Europe, that way people will discover what a rich, ancient and amazing history and culture resides in Eastern Europe, from Croatia to Serbia, from Romania to Bulgaria, Russia, Ukraine, Poland etc. etc.

While I think Malta is just as enthralling and attractive, there shouldn’t be any noticeable differences in the way the show looks. I personally could not tell what was CGI and what were real shots of Malta during the first season, and that is a compliment to the high quality of the show. Besides the architecture is quite similar in nature so it shouldn’t present much of a headache for the producers. Croatia has the whole Adriatic/Mediterranean vibe going and will be an excellent location…I am still gaping at the pictures…damn those make me want to go on vacation really badly! Well anywho, good for Croatia…I’m happy for them!

By the way does anybody have any further news about the proposed move to Iceland? Are there still plans to film there? I am also puzzled why HBO won’t consider northern Canada, Alaska or hell even Siberia for those scenes in the north? Ok, Siberia might be too extreme, but Alaska or northern Canada would be ideally suited, there are already local crews there, the necessary infrastructure, plus scenery which is sublimely beautiful and above and beyond anything Iceland has to offer! Unless those options would prove to be costlier…then I’d understand why they would choose Iceland…

73. Fog
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Lex, All interior scenes of the Red Keep are filmed in the paint hall. The can make artificial light look like real sun light if you have a good lighting person.

74. kg1982
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

loco73:
    The pictures are simply stunning!Wow, I forgot how beautiful Croatia was…and by the way yay for Eastern Europe!I am glad that more and more movies and series are being shot in Eastern Europe,that way people will discover what a rich, ancient and amazing history and culture resides in Eastern Europe, from Croatia to Serbia, from Romania to Bulgaria, Russia, Ukraine, Poland etc.etc.

While I think Malta is just as enthralling and attractive, there shouldn’t be any noticeable differences in the way the show looks.I personally could not tell what was CGI and what were real shots of Malta during the first season, and that is a compliment to the high quality of the show.Besides the architecture is quite similar in nature so it shouldn’t present much of a headache for the producers. Croatia has the whole Adriatic/Mediterranean vibe going and will be an excellent location…I am still gaping at the pictures…damn those make me want to go on vacation really badly!Well anywho, good for Croatia…I’m happy for them!

By the way does anybody have any further news about the proposed move to Iceland?Are there still plans to film there? I am also puzzled why HBO won’t consider northern Canada, Alaska or hell even Siberia for those scenes in the north? Ok, Siberia might be too extreme, but Alaska or northern Canada would be ideally suited, there are already local crews there, the necessary infrastructure, plus scenery which is sublimely beautiful and above and beyond anything Iceland has to offer!Unless those options would prove to be costlier…then I’d understand why they would choose Iceland…

It’s closer to Ireland where most of the filming is taking place ?? I’m assuming that they’re trying to stick close to their base, especially since I’m assuming there will still be some filming, such as Crastor’s Keep, done at the Northern Ireland studios. It’s easier on the producers and on the actors to use Iceland instead of the other locations mentioned. It’s important to remember that flying from New York to Anchorage takes more time than flying from New York to London, so it is quite inconvenient for a show based in the UK to set up location shooting there.

75. Langkard
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 12:09 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar:
    Fire And Blood,
    Thanks.
    And me too. Many a morning I refresh and go waaaaa blblblbl woohoo yay :P
    (Please don’t quote that.)

Oops.

Anyway…

Many thanks to HMR, TheRabbit, Ivan Popić, Andrija Andrew P and the rest of you for such great information!

Great pics, Ivan! And the story about the fortress reminds me of why none of the castles on the Wall are fortified – for essentially the same reason! Very nice.

76. Tar Kidho
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 2:08 am | Permalink

purplejilly:
    oh my, wouldn’t it be fun to sneak an extra inthe background with an ‘always support the bottom’ tshirt on.. heheheheh..Guess they would cut them out, though.. No tshirts in westeros..

Maybe we could ask the extras we will get know here (we WILL for some, I’m sure) if they want to place their hands on their bottoms as much as possible? ;-)

77. KG
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 2:24 am | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

Yes. If the concerns for the integrity of the location are that serious, then yes – filming rights should be refused.

78. Degausser
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 2:30 am | Permalink

here’s a picture of Dubrovnik during stormy weather, someone asked for it :D

79. The Rabbit
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 3:11 am | Permalink

Good morning my little birds :)))) (should I say ravens?)

I am bit away on vacations, so not too many comments from me.

Fact 1
    I hate all those who plan to go to Dubrovnik (just joking).
    Honestly, I am making TitanCon in Belfast in september and it is entirely impossible to make the Dubrovnik spy-fest afterword due to my office schedule.

Fact 2
    Big hug to all of you here especially to my compatriiots: Zed, Starky, Ivan Popić, Andrija..etc and good neighbour HMR – you guys are great for bringing in all sorts of info.

80. StarkyZG
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 4:31 am | Permalink

The Rabbit,

Hey, you’re welcome! I’m also still on holiday. Hoping to be able to get more scoops when i’m back home.

81. It is I
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 4:55 am | Permalink
  82. Sid
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 5:12 am | Permalink

loco73:

1: Logistics. It takes 1-2 hours to fly from NI to Reykjavik. Maybe 2-2,5 from London? Iceland is small, so the filming locations will be close to each other. Iceland also has a thriving “landscape tourism” industry, so off-road vehicles and helicopters exist in abundance. It is also probably a lot better for the actors too, as they can return to hotels within an hour or so. Alaska, Canada and not to mention Sibiria won’t be so fun for the actors.

2: Have you ever been to Iceland? The scenery is simply breathtaking. Not sure Alaska or Canada can beat it. Look at these: http://tonyprower.com/

83. Tessa Leonie
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 6:37 am | Permalink

I’m wondering how they are gonna do Qarth. Monastry gardens look lovely but quite Pentos or even King’s Landing, but you can always strange it up a bit I guess.

84. Dejan Benjy Šiptar
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 7:27 am | Permalink

dammit! i live in the wrong part of the country!

85. It is I
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 7:31 am | Permalink

Tessa Leonie,

Maybe it could be the House of the Undying, not sure how it looks from the inside tho.

Outside shots could be good as well, wiki says:
    “the House is a grey, old ruin with holes in its roof and cracks in its mortar”

86. It is I
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 8:06 am | Permalink
  87. Tessa Leonie
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 8:22 am | Permalink

It is I,

ah that does look good for the house of the undying. Hope they shop the cypresses out though. With King’s Landing we have lush mediteranian (Say a southern french feel), i’m imagening Dorne as a dry mediteranian bordering on deserty feel (south of spain maybe). I think it would be helpfull to have Qarth distinct from that.
    I wonder how far they are going to go with the Qarth fashion and painted buildings but I think it would be cool to get some nice and weird flora up there.

Here is my personal plant nerd recommendations:
    Qarth as the place of wizards and spicers could do with some nice different looking flora. Tacca lillies would be cool and travelers palms, big pots with large brugmansia and lady slipper orchids (or just full on paphiopedilums) or black tree aeoniums. I just don’t want olive’s and cypresses and lavender because they are there. In my mind Qarth could do with some more differentiating ‘colour locale’.

ps. If they ever going to show blue winter roses i hope they won’t go with fake blue roses but with blue himalayan poppies (meconopsis)

88. Ruby
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 9:02 am | Permalink

tysnow:
    Ivan Popić,

Maybe I can answer this one and become the resident art historian :)

The original walls are medieval, but in mid 15th century they decided to build a new system that would be useful in defense against cannons. This began in 1453. The main architect was Michelozzo di Bartolomeo of Florence, who worked there between 1461 and 1463.

Michelozzo developed a three-room system to accommodate cannons inside the battlements. According to my books, it was the first use of such an advanced system.

Slowly thinking about going to Dubrovnik for a few days in September… :)

89. Epic Awesomesauce
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 10:30 am | Permalink

knowsomething: I wouldn’t be surprised if HBO doesn’t get sued for it.

Yeah right. Good luck with that. Everyone’s blaming the next. Besides, no money can restore the damage done. Soon this story will be forgotten, too. Way of the world.

90. Jillian
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 10:40 am | Permalink

The photo on the main page of this post truly is my mental image of Dragonstone

91. dizzy_34
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Well it looks a bit more like how I pictured Kings Landing than Malta did. Looks good.

92. metalgoddessamb
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 11:17 am | Permalink

dizzy_34:

I have to agree. I wish they would have filmed here for the first season, so far all the locations look far superior. Nothing against Malta, but Dubrovnik just looks way better!

Posted August 22, 2011 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Jace Lacob @Televisionary just tweeted:

From @HBO: portions of S2 of @GameOfThrones will be shot in Croatia and Iceland, which will serve as location for Beyond-the-Wall.

94. Elena Amici
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

yeah @HBO we already figured it out #takethat

95. metalgoddessamb
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 11:54 am | Permalink

I’ve been to Iceland, in February no less. my friend and I thought a lot of the landscape looked like cookies and cream ice cream. Black volcanic rock sticking up out of white snow.

96. You-know-nothing
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 11:54 am | Permalink

I’m loving all these location pictures guys, gives me a real sense of being there. I think that Dubrovnik has the potential to be an even better KL than the city in Malta (i forget which city it was).

Sid, those Iceland pics were stunning. I presume the ‘Beyond the wall stuff’ will be filmed there. Does anyone for sure???

97. You-know-nothing
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 11:56 am | Permalink

As i was writing my blog, the one confirming Iceland as Beyond the wall locations just appeared. Typical :-D

98. Nimble Dick
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

called it

Got to love the old Yugoslavia

99. andrea
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

It is I,

for someone who lives surrounded by architecture that is barely 100 years old or much much less these pictures are amazing!!! And some are really scary: Lovrijenar Fort??? incredible!!! I was lucky to see medieval architecture and Roman ruins in Spain, but this is just awesome. Thanks!

100. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink
  101. andrea
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Andrija Andrew P,

wow! beautiful!

102. It is I
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Permalink
  103. Annrose
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

I’m planning to visit Dubrovnik too in Sept one weekend, must experience GoT since it’s close!
    They should film in Split also, it’s 1700 years old, they could figure out something that would fit perfectly in palace or even Prokurative…
    I’m so proud right now it’s sick! And stoked! Gonna die till Sept.

104. Luka
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

They should also search for islands in Croatia, there are around 1200 islands and there has to be at least 10 suitable ones for both Stannis and Greyjoy’s. They can even shoot the behind the wall scenes in Gorski Kotar & Lika. We have everything you need here in Croatia!

105. Spartan
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Croatia is a Mediterranean country too, as well as an eastern european culture. Americans used to think about Europe as a whole (as we do with the states), but it’s quite different cultural and geographicaly from some countries to others. Anyway, i think they made a good pick. I wonder if the affair with wilderness damage in Malta had something to do with it.

106. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Spartan,

Sorry to contradict but if you want to speak culturally then we are a Central European country with a strong Italian influence in the south. Even if you want to talk in a strictly geographical sense then we are also in Central Europe since more then 50% of the country is located within CE.
    I don’t have anything against Eastern Europe but facts are facts…

107. Gonzalo
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

St. Dominic Street and Gold Cloaks?? the Riots at King’s Landing?

108. Spartan
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Andrija Andrew P,

Yes, geographically is in the center of the continent, indeed. And about culture, i asumme you know better as a Croatian yourself. What i tried to say is, despite the fact of being a mediterranean country, is not that mediterranean as someone could think ;)

109. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Spartan,

Well yes, since most of the country is on the continent proper and there is a mountain range separating the bulk of the country from the coast I’d say that it’s true.. Of course most of our oldest cities are on the coast but only about 35% of the population lives there..
    Countries like Greece or Cyprus (which is an island) have almost exclusively Med. climate ( and culture)..

110. PretendImNotHere
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Here more pic. http://www.croatiapictures.net/pictures/dubrovnik/WallsofDubrovnik.jpg
    The Sponza palace http://i42.tinypic.com/jrzadg.jpg
    The church “Sveti Vlaho”
    The rectors Palace. “Knežev dvor”
    The cloister of the franciscan monastery. http://www.lopud.nl/lopud/dubrovnik/foto/dub08.jpg http://www.lopud.nl/lopud/dubrovnik/foto/dub03.jpg
    Stradun
    Winter is coming :)
    look the ship

this is part of Split

111. PretendImNotHere
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Just check this and u have all picts u need ;)

112. PretendImNotHere
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Permalink
  113. Wox
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Permalink
  114. loco73
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Sid,

Yeah, the vistas are beautiful, but nothing I have not seen in Canada…way better than these…

115. Bono
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

I’m still thinking about Harrenhall. Where it will be placed? When I first read CoK I imagined Harrenhall as Marienburg Castle in Poland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordensburg_Marienburg; http://www.zamkipolskie.com/malb/malb.html; http://www.castlesofpoland.com/prusy/malbdzis_poczt_en.htm. It is sadly in little ruin but it does not matter.

116. The Rabbit
    Posted August 23, 2011 at 3:47 am | Permalink

Some more info from Croatian Jutranji list (Morning Post):

They mentioned a couple of actors arriving in Dubrovnik – including Michelle Fairley and Kit Harington which is obviously a mistake – They probably just rewrote the names of the main cast from IMDB or some other source and put them in the article.

They also mentioned some 50 security gurads who would keep set safe from the tourists and fans (!?). heh.

What is the most interesting they also mentioned Jadran film as involved in coproduction, but somehow I do not think they got the info from this very site, but the part of the text speaking on that matter suggests their very own source (will see…)

Also, also mentiones UK Films as one of the partners.

What I find rather curious they mentioned Dubrovnik as very interesting option for the first season, by saying, that it dropped out in the last moment.

It is very interesting, because I think it could be true and the only reason for dropping out would have been (IMO) the non existant tax law for foreign production last year in Croatia.

The whole article you can find here for those who speak Croatian or who would like to use Google translator.

117. Sid
    Posted August 23, 2011 at 3:55 am | Permalink

loco73,

Ok. But how close are they to each other? Also, they might wan’t some volcanic footage, which I admit exist in Alaska and Canada, but basically in the middle of nowhere (like 500 miles from a town).

No, the number one reason, like I wrote, is logistics. Alaska, for example, is 663,268 sq miles (or 1,717,854 km2) big. Iceland is 39,770 sq miles (or 103,001 km2) big. It is 300 miles across the whole country! Not to mention Canada or Sibiria! And it’s a lot closer to Northern Ireland and Great Britain, where most actors live or work.

And we are forgetting the CGI help the producers can rely upon today. If they want a 30.000 feet high volcano, the can film a 1000 feet volcano and “enhance” it. :)

BTW, I’d love to see those vistas in Canada some day. But for now it’s a dream. :)

118. Ivan Popić
    Posted August 23, 2011 at 7:58 am | Permalink

tysnow,

Sorry for a bit late answer, I wasn’t near the computer for last few days.
    Dubrovnik’s fortifications were constantly evolving as the city was first inhabitated as a “sanctuary” for citizens of Roman town on site of a present-day Cavtat. You don’t see it now but it was a penninsula which was easily fortified and what is today a main street (Stradun) was shallow sea which was covered when the city expanded. The latest addition to the fortifications was Minčeta fortress which was a model renneisance fort.

119. Ivan Popić
    Posted August 23, 2011 at 9:49 am | Permalink

tysnow,

And as for the shelling and human losses involved in Homeland War 20 years ago I can only repeat the sentiment – may it never happen again.
    A few years back there was a Memorial room dedicated to defenders of Dubrovnik in Sponza palace with pictures and videos of the siege city endured. It felt surreal to see such barbaric acts to the beautiful monuments you just saw. Thankfully there are almost no signs of destruction left in the city, you can see signs of shelling in the pavement on a few spots and there is a wall in Franciscan monastery which was deliberatly left unrepaired which shows damage done from the shells.

120. Langkard
    Posted August 23, 2011 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Wonderful pics! The lack of casting news from HBO is easier to take when I can visit here daily and see all these interesting pics you are finding.

121. Jelena
    Posted August 24, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

F my life, I was sick the day they were casting intern actors. I LOVE GAME OF THRONES! And I could have been a part of it. But I guess not. :( Well, at least it’s filming in my city, and I think I’ll feel like I’m a part of it anyway. BTW Dubrovnik is a really great location, it looks even better live than in pictures, believe me :D And I don’t give a flying f*ck about 50 or more guards, I’ll be around when they start filming it and I’ll make it to take a peak. I swear!

122. Thorn
    Posted August 25, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Jelena,

Jelena:

Beautiful vocabulary. It really does give bigger picture about town and people that live there and culture, but I know that isn`t so.

123. Zoe
    Posted September 1, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

KG,

its a natural heritage site, not a beach… besides we already had brad Pitt filming in Malta for 5 weeks, we’re not desperate for work :P

124. Gio
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 6:07 am | Permalink

It will be nice to see Dubrovnik in GoT to bad thay didnt use some others town’s to . Croatia have loads of fortress and mostly all are maded for defending region from attacks and many towns are since roman empire. 50% of country is on sea 50% is continetal so Sea part have around 1200 islands .

my apologies for bad english

125. Eilof Bran Fhain
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Zed,

They already are fan! We were in Dubrovnik this summer and you could see posters and books everywhere!!!!

126. Lance
    Posted April 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

And this cool house was in S2Ep1!

1. […] Dubrovnika kao nove lokacije Westerosa – koja je sada već postala puka formalnost – Winter is Coming donosi informacije o potencijalnim lokacijama snimanja. Ako su njihovi izvori točni, evo koji će […]

2. […] Thread Starter Dubrovnik filming locations revealed – Winter-Is-Coming.net I do believe that I am grinning like an idiot […]

3. […] und mehr: Winter is coming Lies mehr zu: Game of Thrones, Fernsehserien als RSS Feed […]

4. […] the fictional kingdom in which the drama takes place. Not surprisingly, the well-informed fan site Winter is Coming has extensive intel on the locations we can expect to see on the […]

5. […] detalja o snimanju pronađite tu, a ja vam želim puno sreće na […]

6. […] filmarile sezonului doi al seriei Game of Thrones vor avea loc in Croatia (initial fusese aleasa Malta). Sper sa ajunga cu filmarile si prin […]

7. […] Images sourced via a post about Dubrovnik filming locations revealed, written by Winter-is-Coming.net Known list of locations and the […]

8. […] photos and info about filming locations in Dubrovnik can be found on Winter-is-Coming.net. Posted by Marko on Jan 23, 2012 in Game of Thrones HBO | 0 comments (function() { […]

9. […] Here’s a brief location list, courtesy of Game of Thrones fan site Winter is Coming. […]