Amory Lorch cast; Gregor recast?
By Winter Is Coming on in Casting, News, Rumors.

Fintan McKeownAnother cast member has been confirmed for season two of Game of Thrones. Winter-Is-Coming.net can reveal that Fintan McKeown has been cast as Amory Lorch.

Ser Amory Lorch is a landed knight in service to House Lannister. At the start of the second book, he is pillaging the Riverlands at the command of Lord Tywin Lannister. McKeown is an Irish actor that has had numerous appearances in film and television, most notably as Capt. Janeway’s one-time love interest, Michael Sullivan, in Star Trek: Voyager and King Odin in BBC’s Merlin.

Ian WhyteA related, but unconfirmed, casting update: we have received multiple reports that the role of Ser Gregor Clegane is not being played by Conan Stevens, who played the Mountain in season one, but rather Ian Whyte. Whyte is a 7 ft tall actor and stuntman who has worked on films such as Clash of the Titans and Alien vs. Predator. Interestingly, he appeared in season one of Thrones as a White Walker. Of course, he was literally unrecognizable under all that makeup, so bringing him back in another role would not be a problem.

Winter Is Coming: Nice to get some more confirmed casting news with the Amory Lorch announcement. I thought Lorch was a character they may cut, good to know I was wrong. Bodes well for some of those other roles still up in the air (no, we still have no word on the Reeds or Tullys). Too bad about Gregor being recast, assuming it is true, but I think Whyte could fill the role admirably in Conan’s absence. Most people likely won’t even notice the switch.

1. Jon Eck
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

I may have missed all this but do we know why Stevens wasn’t brought back as Gregor?

Edit– Nevermind, just check his IMDB and saw that he’s filming The Hobbit right now.

2. Josh Parker
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Wow, I’m kinda shocked at the Gregor announcement. I’ll miss Conan, who seemed to be such a good guy, and felt like he was “one of us” in a way not many actors do. I am glad to seem him getting what looks like a lot of high-profile projects and I sincerely wish him well in his future endeavors.

3. Jonas
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

I really liked Conan Stevens. He was tall and buff. Ian seems to be tall and slim, but I can live with it. Just glad they cast (if it turns out to be true) an actor as tall (actually, slightly taller) as Conan.

4. Paco
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

i hate recasts. I hope this is not true but Im inclined to believe it since most “unconfirmed” rumors have ended up being true.

5. Johan Sporre
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

I hope they’ll have the Mountain mostly in full armour and helmet so that they can bring Conan back for a certain fight in season three. Ian may be large, but he doesn’t seem as imposing or menacing as Conan did.

Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Jon Eck:

Well, we don’t know for sure if he has or hasn’t. It could be that Whyte is just a stand-in for some scenes without closeups or dialogue and they will bring Conan in to film later on, if his schedule allows. Or not at all, if they decide they can get away with very little Gregor in season two. Nothing is official yet. But even if it is confirmed as a recast, they certainly won’t give us a reason. It probably has to do with scheduling though.

Josh Parker: Incidentally, Ian Whyte was in the pilot, apparently playing a “Dothraki brute” (I think). So this marks the second instance of re-casting on the show and the first instance of an actor appearing as two different characters.

A White Walker, actually. :)

7. Marryin'Targaryens
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

McKeown definitely has a rough look about him, but not exactly the “piggish” features of Amory Lorch (which is probably better for him). But the new Gregor looks nothing like the old Gregor, from what I can tell, so that might be a problem. I thought Conan Stevens was great, and really embodied “The Mountain that Rides”. Too bad if true, but I welcome the new guy nonetheless. Will be interesting to see how they pull it off.

8. ali
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

can’t wait to hear about the reeds and YGRITTE! WHY SO LONG FOR YGRITTE!? :p

9. Stuart A Etter
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Seeing how few scenes the Mountain actually had in season 1, I can understand Conan taking on a more substantial role in the Hobbit. It’s still strange, though, considering how long and hard he campaigned to get it. The scene in book 3 could be a crown jewel in his career.

Hope it’s just rumor.

10. Brad Villane
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Really hope they can get Conan back. He physically fit Gregor so well.

But, if they don’t…oh well. I’m sure new guy will be fine. They can bulk his ass up with some armor.

Glad to hear about Lorch. Was sure his role was gonna get combined with someone else. Really hope his ass is gonna get torn to shreds by a bear!!!

11. Josh Parker
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Ah, yes, that makes sense.

I’m of the mind that this is indeed a replacement. I was already worried we wouldn’t get Gregor at all considering Conan’s suddenly busy schedule. I think they have, in fact, recast the role.

I guess we’ll see, though.

12. Brad Villane
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

ali:
    can’t wait to hear about the reeds and YGRITTE! WHY SO LONG FOR YGRITTE!? :p

She doesn’t show up till the end of season 2. I don’t think we got Walder Frey till November/December

13. Felagund
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Jon Eck,

He is filming The Hobbit on New Zealand, I guess…

14. OhDanyBoy
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker:
    Winter Is Coming,

Ah, yes, that makes sense.

I guess we’ll see, though.

I expect that this is a temporary replacement – they’ll probably get Conan in at some point for closeups if they need them – does Gregor have any lines in this book that couldn’t be relayed by other characters? Anyway, I expect him to be back for season 3 when he is less busy (hopefully) and has more to do.

15. Peltast
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

:( Bummed to hear that Conan Stevens isn’t the Mountain anymore. He is just the perfect Mountain. Was quite looking forward to seeing Conan dance with a certain viper in S3.

Cool that Amory Lorch wasn’t cut though.

16. Epic fail
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Maybe they need to make the mountain that rides a little more menacing like in the books. I felt that the season 1 actor brought a clownish quality to the role.

17. Connie
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Oh Epic fail. You make me giggle.

We were trying to guess who Conan is playing in Hobbit but it looks like it’s a character we’re unfamiliar with. Nonetheless, that is a big step up and a much larger role to sink his teeth into than a few episodes of a TV show. :D

18. Gaz
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Winter, Ian has definitely been given multiple lines during shooting at Harrenhal, which has (for the mean time) been completed. Again I cant confirm this means that 100% Conan has been recast but my source on set is themselves 99% sure. :(

I for one believe it was due to Conans other commitments and not a decision by HBO to let him go.

19. Chris77
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Great that Lorch is confirmed. While others said that they would not mind him being cut, I always thought him very important o the story, because he is one of the few badguys that gets his due in a very satisfying way, so the viewer can get some payoff after all the depressing stuff that also happens.

20. Josh Parker
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Epic fail,

Um…what? He was a total badass. It was one of the characters that seemed to leap from the page fully formed. Don’t know where you get “clownish” out of that.

21. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

McKeown was in one of the worst episodes of ST:Voyager. Nothing can top the one where Janeway and Paris turn into newts and then get better, but his episodes were close. The second one was probably the worst holodeck episode of any ST series. …

Too bad about Conan, if he’s indeed recast. He put so much effort into getting the role and seemed really enthusiastic about it.

22. Chris
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

I always thought Conan seemed very opportunistic above anything else(just visit his carefully calculated, SEO-trap of a website). That doesn’t mean his interest in the role and project wasn’t genuine, just that it wouldn’t surprise me if he chose to move on to bigger and better things.

23. Ryan Dunn
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Well with Conan Stevens departing likely, I was really hoping they’d have gone for my first choice for Gregor from way back:

Nikolai Valuev

Dammitall!

…ryan

24. Chris77
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

This would have made a nice casting clue, considering he was in a film called “Waking Ned”… Even though the Hobbit will be great, I fear that he won’t reap much fame from this. As far as I know he plays Azog, a big Ork/Goblin. As far as I know ( and though I really like them from the making offs), the actors that played Lurz or Gothmog in LOTR, did not become huge stars afterwards… His role as Gregor could earned him much more fame…

25. SugarVampire
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

I am glad that they recast Gregor. ASoIaF has many memorable but small roles. D&D can’t afford to cater to every actor’s whims. If Conan can’t wait for his meaty part in Season 4, it’s better to make the change now. I seriously doubt that the schedule conflict is so great that he/his agent couldn’t make any accommodations for his short appearance in Season 2.

Nothing deflates the energy of a stressful and difficult adaptation than a disgruntle actor. 2011 turns out to be a bad year for fans of Conans.

26. Josh Parker
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Ryan Dunn,

The problem is Gregor has to talk, and he shouldn’t have an unintelligable Russian accent when he does.

No, I can’t agree. It takes more to be Gregor Clegane than to just be big and ugly.

27. Mormegil
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Quite surprised we got an Amory Lorch.

Stuart A Etter: I can understand Conan taking on a more substantial role in the Hobbit.

Unless he’s playing 2 different roles in The Hobbit I I doubt that his role is more substantial than Gregor.

He’s playing Azog an Orc Chieften from 200 years before the main story. so unless there are major changes to the story his character will probably appear in a couple of flashback scenes.

28. Epic fail
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

I guess my problem was I didn’t feel GC was a dangerous man by intent in the show. More like a big baby that kills you by accident. This isn’t necessarily the actor’s fault but rather how he is presented. The horse chopping part was cheese; a Sam Raimi moment but without Raimi directing. The sword fight with bro was bad, completely senseless unless you read the books and fill in the blanks, add some dialogue, and oh yeah, pretend the scene is dramatic.

My memory of GC was that he was a very dangerous man in every possible way. I hope they get it right next time!!!

29. Gregory Kelton
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

Don’t feed the troll.

30. persephone88
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

I’m really sorry to hear about Conan possibly leaving the show. I felt like he was underutilized in Season 1 (as was THE HOUND – blast you, D and D!!!), and with all the Arya plots involving the Mountain’s men this season, I am sorry that Conan may not be around for more this coming season (AND for season 4 – I’d've loved to have seen that one particular fight scene!). He was a good Mountain for the little we got to see of him.

And Ros is back again? Expanded role? Argh. If they have her take the place of Aliyaya, I could live with that, but I swear, if she gets more lines dialogue than the Hound again, I will be spitting nails. But please, guys, don’t invent new story lines or sexposition to beef up her part. She’s not. that. interesting.

31. darquemode
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Connie,

Conan is playing the Orc chieftain.

32. Harry
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Honestly: They should replace Conan Stevens only with: Nathan Jones. He got the same badass look and similar trained body.

33. Josh Parker
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Gregory Kelton,

I don’t think he’s a troll. Just very, very wrong.

34. darquemode
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Epic fail,

I actually agree with you to a large extant. I was VERY underwhelmed by the brother vs brother fight. It felt too methodical and didn’t have the fight to the death feeling to it that the book had. It just lacked intensity and the best moment was the very last sword swipe over Sandor’s head.

I’m not sure it was Conan Steven’s fault though. Maybe more to do with the editing or how quickly they filmed his scenes.

I loved reading his reports and essays though. IF he is not a part of the series he will be missed.

35. Josh Parker
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

I don’t want to get too hopeful, here, but this is yet another role cast that I thought would definitely be cut. So…the idea that they’ll leave out Edmure or the Reeds does indeed seem unlikely.

Maybe they’ll be pushed to the end of the season. Maybe they’ll be pushed to next season. But I can’t believe they’re cut.

36. Epic fail
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

Just replace ‘compact’ with ‘impact’ (for a better show). LF whispers the history of the Cleganes, then we get a puppet show of them fighting with no resolution. Too compact, too forgettable. No dialogue or close up on Conan’s face? No dark shadows passing by his brutish face and cro-magnon brows? Is it about Renly and Loras or is it about the Cleganes? Too much compact not enough impact, I say!

37. The Rabbit
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Now I am going to pull Josh Parker and calculating a bit in advance inspired by casting mosquito who just bit me ;)

So, as I understnad the filming of Arya s storyline is somwhere near Harrenhal or actually in Harrenhal.
    And we still miss some rather importnat roles yet to be cast (or announced):
    Vargo Hoat
    Wease
    and probably some more I failed to recall, now.

38. dizzy_34
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Well at least we know Gregor hasn’t been axed from the storyline. I’m on the side of we’ll probably just see him in armor stomping around with the few lines that he actually has.

Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit, apparently Wease (or a character fulfilling that role) has been on set. But based on initial reports he doesn’t have any lines, so I’m not sure whether HBO will announce the actor or not (don’t think they did for featured extras last season).

There has also been a Polliver spotted at the Harrenhal set. Trying to figure out the actors for these roles, as we speak. Hopefully I can get some names for us. If not, well, time for you to do some digging. ;)

40. GaR
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Conan also has a bigger role in Spartacus season 2, which is filming in New Zealand as well.

41. Josh Parker
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

Wonder if we’ll get a Pia. We need a new “sexposition” person LOL.

Actually this is a good time to notice a pattern I’ve seen emerging over the last couple of months since the spurt of huge casting announcements.

One week will go by and we get nothing.

Then another week will have three or four revelations (not all are “announcements”).

The next week will be either more nothing or maybe one casting clue.

Then the next week, more casting news.

Last week was a nothing week. We got a clue, and an answer, but it was early on and we got nothing the rest of the week. Here’s hoping this will be a big week and we’ll get names for Dontos, Reek, Qhorin…or Edmure and the Reeds.

BTW, if we hear about Hoster being cast, we can pretty well count on Edmure following soon after.

42. GaR
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

Conan said they filmed this awesome full length fight sequence, and then butchered it in editing. Unless it turns up on the DVDs as a deleted scene or something, we may never know the truth.

43. The Rabbit
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Thanks!
    Yeah the name that was escaping me was Polliver, recalling the other one: Raff or something.

Josh Parker,

Somehow I think that would wait a bit more for Ygritte, Qhorin and Rattleshirt, beacause I ve heard they re going to film in island very late in the year.

But, in meantime we could have the others you mentioned above.

44. House Umber
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Very good calculating @ The Rabbit

possibly spoilery…
    Arya’s scenes are IN Harrenhal
    Wease is cast (don’t know his name but he referred to himself as “Weasel” not “Wease”, possibly an uninformed assumption that he misheard his character name and settled that it was infact Weasel)
    Polliver is cast
    No Vargo Hoat in recent Harrenhal (though I suspect not all has been shot for the entire season)
    Torture occurs in Harrenhal with The Tickler & Wease
    The Mountain does have lines (not many but in different scenes)
    The Mountain wears similar armour to S1 but Lannister styled helm and red Lannister cloak with Clegane sigil on underside – his face can be seen

So a little bird has whispered, though there is more, but some things of S2 should be left unknown until it airs…

45. Nan
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

If Weese have no lines, then i guess Chiswyck will also have no lines?

46. SugarVampire
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Epic fail,

From various D&D interviews in the last few weeks, it seems that they have to scrap their initial plan for the tourneys. The final result was rather hastily put together.

47. Josh Parker
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

House Umber,

Dude, don’t tease.

We need names, dammit!

BTW, it’s Weese. Not Wease.

48. House Umber
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

He’s not the only one getting the whole Wease/Weasel/Weese names mixed up then! Apols

49. Josh Parker
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

House Umber,

No worries, but can you tell us more? We hunger for news!

50. Hi-Fi
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

So it looks like Ros is taking Alayaya’s role if Varys is recruiting her. I’m all for that!

51. House Umber
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

Bar saying that Harrenhal is meant to look the business (a purpose built, from the ground up, castle set), all bleak, ruined, wet & miserable… no I won’t say any more.

Sorry, but it’s for your own good :)

52. Ser Jean-Ralphio
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

If they’re filming in Harrenhall, I hope we get casting revelations not only for Vargo, but also for Qyburn.
    I dare hope they will cast right away a talented actor that will stick with the show. And not some extra who will be replaced once Qyburn replaces Varys in KL.

Also I want to know who’s playing Patchface, and the costume looks like! So crucial to next season’s opening scene that this part isn’t botched.

53. Steve the Pirate
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

So have these spies in Harrenhal seen our Jaqen (Tom Wlaschiha) in costume yet?

54. SugarVampire
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

Pia is another small role that’s quite memorable. Hers and Wylis Manderly’s scene with Jaime in AFoC are one of the most moving ones for me in the entire series. It is like those survivors of WWII that had endured unspeakable horrors. I hope D&D would keep her scenes in Book 2, 3 and 4, and find someone who is pretty but good enough to deliver the vast emotional range needed for this role. It really is a tough job for the casting director and productors of this adaption.

55. Felagund
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

OMG, I just noticed that it is a Chinese jian in Ian’s hand on that pic, he ROXXX! :D

*kungfugeek*

56. Ned
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

All I know is that I really hope we DO get the Tullys and the Reeds in season two. Unfortunate recast for the mountain, but it was such a small role season one that it’s not much of an issue

57. sc
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

this is awful! i caught a major love jones on conan as the mountain, and now they have some skinny chick taking his place…. this is such rubbish!

58. tysnow
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

I know why Gregor’s role was recast, because Conan’s presence was so intimidating to others, just like the “Big Black Good Man”.

59. John W
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

I wish they’d hurry up and cast Ygritte.

60. spacepope
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

I’m willing to bet this “recast” is simply just for a reduced role in Season 2 with the role consisting of fully armored and helmed shots from the back or side, with non-speaking roles, until The Hobbit is done filming ad Conan Stevens can return for Season 3

61. Zack
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

A series with this many roles that’s supposed to keep going for at least 7 years of filming was bound to need some recasting here and there. Worse things have happened. I’m glad Conan’s successful in Hollywood too.

62. Felagund
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

sc,

I’d really like to see you taking a punch from that “skinny chick” :D :D

63. The Instrumentalist
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Noooooo..! I really liked Conan. :( Hopefully this is just a rumour but I doubt it.

And to whoever mentioned it, I have called it from the very beginning, Roz is TOTALLY going to take over Yaya’s role! It’s destiny! I mean, why cast yet another person when she’s right there and the audience is used to her? It’s going to be so funny when Tyrion sees her there, lol.

I’m glad for that, but there aren’t too many Roz supporters out there… I think not, anyways.

I have to say I’ve been excited for Ygritte from the beginning (more so than even some of the important ones). It makes sense they would cast her near the end. A pity really, I want to know so badly. >_<

64. DH87
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

Gaz: Also folks, be prepared for more Ros in season 2, dont want to say too much but she is in line to be potentially recruited by Varys. Or so little birds tweet.

65. Dev F
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

I’ve sort of been expecting them to replace Alayaya with Ros, but I’m not sure it hangs together plot-wise. Oh, it’s logical from an “economy of character” standpoint, but it gets tangled up by the fact that Ros is one of Littlefinger’s whores. Since the whole point of the subterfuge is to hide Tyrion’s actions from his potential enemies at court, why would Varys involve someone who might blab the arrangement to Baelish?

I suppose it’s possible that Ros has been a double agent for Varys the whole time or something like that, but if the scheme requires a whole extra level of intrigue to explain it, that sort of negates the whole purpose of economizing in the first place.

66. Kristen
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

I honestly think people will notice if Gregor is recast. Conan WAS The Mountain.

67. KG
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Not to be a jerk, but maybe “Good enough for third-world action films” wasn’t “good enough for a major US/UK TV production?”

I sure wasn’t impressed with his one big fight scene …

68. Adrian
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

DH87: Yes, if there is one thing this series needs, it’s more Ros and her single facial expression.

I only hope they cut some more book characters so she could have more screen time since she is SO awesome.

69. Dennai
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

KG,

Maybe not a jerk but not too bright either.

He’s working in The Hobbit. You can’t get any bigger than that.

70. Langkard
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

I’m glad that Amory Lorch was cast. I hate to see characters get cut.

I hope that the only reason Conan Stevens might be unable to return is his role filming The Hobbit. I’d hate to think it was because of a role in Spartacus that he was dropped as Gregor. Swapping a small role in an award-winning production like GOT for a larger role in cheesy crap like Spartacus isn’t really a very good career move. If he had no choice, so be it. But if he chose the bad show over the good show, not good.

71. Adrian
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Dennai:
    KG,

Maybe not a jerk but not too bright either.

He’s working in The Hobbit. You can’t get any bigger than that.

I loved the Lord of the Rings movies, but the pictures I’ve seen of The Hobbit look AWFUL. Granted, what I’ve seen is primarily the pictures of the dwarves, but they look ridiculous and stupid.

I’d be willing to bet no one knows the name of the actor who played the deformed orc in RotK without looking it up, I’d be willing to bet also that no one will see “Azog” and go “Oh shit it’s Conan Stevens!”

Shame if it’s true, because I liked his look, but if he’d rather “star” in The Hobbit, good for him.

72. Daan
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

I was a big supporter of Conan early on when he was actively campaigning for a role on GoT. He appeared as a fan of the books and in his blog looked nice and smart (although I didn’t always agree on his view of “how to do things right”, I’m not into the view that you always control you’re own destiny, sometimes shit happens). In the end what mattered was that he made a terrific Gregor (too bad that D&D did not let the character reach its potential, but that can be said for more than just his character. The restrictions of a short television series were stretched to the limits and the result was very very good and yet limited).
    Now that it looks like he isn’t in season 2 I’m torn. If he thinks his carreer is bettered by playing an orc and/or a gladiator instead of Gregor I say good luck and good riddance, not a great move. I would prefer it if D&D think that in season 2 Gregor can be played by an actor fully in armor and Conan is to return later. He still is a terrific physical actor and I prefer no recasts.
    To be clear I’m not trolling here this is just how I feel.

73. KG
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Dennai,

P. S. I’m bright enough to have my own opinion; you’re too ignorant to accept it, though :D

74. Conan Stevens
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

First up I would like to say thanks to WIC for yet again letting us actors know what is happening.

To everyone else who supported me I have to say thankyou, getting in GOT opened the audition doors for Hobbit, which opened the door to Spartacus and now a potential major role in a new movie depending on Hobbit scheduling conflicts, but in any case I now have a much better future.

I am now able to get into auditions that I want to get into and my ability from there carries me or not – I have the chance to prove myself that I previously did not have and that is all I have asked for from my career – a fair go.

Thanks again, I probably won’t post on WIC again as I will have nothing relevant to say, it has been a pleasure with some of the most literate and interesting emails I ever received coming from people on here.

75. Avalanche3319
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

Pretty disappointing to hear that Conan (probably) wont be back as Gregor this season after he worked so hard and long to be cast, not to mention his interactions with us on this site before and after he was cast. I truly hope he didn’t just move on to “bigger and better things.” I’d lose a lot of respect for him if he abandoned this show because the part he wanted so badly was suddenly too small for him.

Edit: wow, what timing…

76. MW
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

I must say that Conan’s constant self-promotion got old fast. Not that that has anything to do with the role or how he played it.

I tend to think that if the extended Clegane fight sequence was as great as he said, that they probably wouldn’t have butchered it. I could be wrong though. It wouldn’t be the first gripe I had with the editing in those early episodes. We’ll probably never know for sure.

As always, I trust the people in charge to make the prudent decision. Gregor had a combined total of maybe 5 minutes of screen time. And his pivotal moment turned out to be forgettable (possibly though no fault of his). If the new guy grows a beard and crops his hair, I doubt many people will notice the difference.

EDIT: Well there you go. FWIW I love the fact that some of the actors and behind-the-scenes people on the show aren’t too “big” to post on the board with us smallfolk and I respect Conan for that.

77. Giant of Lanister
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

Guys Guys Guys, Relax… Tim Whyte was the Predator in AVP…as in the brutish slicing dicing impaling mutilating plasma cannon wielding FREAKING PREDATOR..so I think he’ll handle Ser Gregor just fine. As for Conan Stevens, I enjoyed your portrayal of one of the more memorable characters in GOT, and good luck with your future projects but we’ve got a new Gregor now, so you can run along and be an Orc or a gladiator or a big Western brute in some Thai/Bollywood film. As I said, we’ve got a new Gregor now……

AND HE”S THE FREAKING PREDATOR!!!!!

78. Luke Palladino
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

I think this guy is a little too slim to be the mountain. I mean, sure he’s tall but Gregor is not only tall but monstrous in every way, Conan had that but this guy doesn’t. :(

79. Vaari
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 1:45 am | Permalink

Luke Palladino,

Well, if I recall correctly, at every scene he will be wearing a plate armour and padding, which will do the trick.

Disappointed though about Conan Stevens leaving the role.

80. sjwenings
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 2:17 am | Permalink

I thought it was weird if Conan was leaving, but as we now have official confirmation from the man himself, I guess theres no point in commenting on that any further.

It’s a shame. Is all i have to say.

81. Moppet Wocket
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 2:22 am | Permalink

about CS, i don’t care. let him have spartacus, it’s a show he should be doing and not GoT. literate emails from here? i guess the mensa crowd sucks spell check. this drama will be short lived. in the long term anyone is more impressive. s1 GC was a bust, a stepping stone for some dude’s career. sucks for us.

82. Chris77
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 3:26 am | Permalink

In the armor and costume department we trust. I still think that he could have made a bigger impact as Gregor than being an Ork or a Gladiator…

Conan Stevens: KG and the detractors – if you knew actually me or had seen any of my proper acting work your opinion would have weight then people might give your opinions some consideration. Also a major speaking role in a smaller production is better than being labled as just another big brute who can’t be trusted to speak on camera – not saying this was the option in GOT vs Spartacus as Gregor has some interesting scenes later on that I would have liked to have done but careers are not built on minor appearances in big productions, otherwise all the Pro-Wrestlers who had played small roles would be stars now.

Well, I think that there are not so many speaking roles that a man of that physique could be cast in.

PS: I don’t think that they will use Ros as Alayaya, they won’t pass the chance for some fresh naked flesh, but will use Ros in added scenes…

83. The_Rabbit01
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 3:39 am | Permalink

Good luck Conan in your future projects!

84. Pierce VanderBent
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 3:47 am | Permalink

Lame that Conan may be recast. I know he really worked hard to get in the show and I was quite happy with him as Gregor… lets hope he finds his way back to Belfast!

Yuss!! Ser Amory Lorch bringing Fair Haven to the riverlands! I wonder if he’s still good at rings? ?

85. Vered
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 4:20 am | Permalink

I really hate recasts! It just ruins a series for me….
    Maybe it’ll be easier since Gregor was in a big role at the 1st season. I mean he was big and noticeable but he wasn’t there a whole lot. Just at the joust… right? That would make it easire… beacuse there is no way they can cover his face all through the 2nd season…. The parts with Arya. He can’t be covered through all of those…. right? I mean she was with him and his “buddies” for some time.

Good nows about Armory Lorch! Thanks!

86. selmy4king
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 4:26 am | Permalink

Noooooooo! Conan was exactly how I pictured Ser Gregor. This is unacceptable. I’m “crushed” like Elia :(

87. Not Ramsay
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 4:36 am | Permalink

Please GOT, please cast Ramsay Snow/Bolton at some point soon! Otherwise we won’t get that great Theon cliffhanger at the end of Clash of Kings!

88. KG
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 4:47 am | Permalink

Dear Mr. Stevens.

If you are going to be an actor, you have to accept that some people aren’t going to like your performances. If you can’t handle that, then you are in the wrong line of work.

89. Jonas
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 4:55 am | Permalink

KG,

What exactly is so bad about his acting? You didn’t like the sword fight, how is that his fault? Blame the stunt coordinator.

90. Tar Kidho
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:07 am | Permalink

Conan Stevens,

Hey Conan, I wish you well in your future projects. Even though I did not fully agree with you on certain points, your involvement on this board showed a lot of passion for your part in GoT, and the film/tv industry in general. I find it a pity that your schedule has decided you have to leave us, and for some die-hard fans this will be hard to swallow, but hey, I fully understand that your personal future must be put before such sentiments at times. And as it seems like you are at a key point in your carreer, this definitely was a time to make rational rather than emotional decisions. It appears though that in part the decision was made for you by HBO, in which case there still might be a small hope of you returning in the next season? Otherwise, this might open opportunities for your replacement if he turns out to be a decent actor, which I most certainly hope for. So who knows, in the future we might get some big Hollywood movie with two talented 7 ft actors playing side by side? ;-)

91. Tar Kidho
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:08 am | Permalink

Jonas,

92. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:23 am | Permalink

I don’t understand this backlash against Conan. So he used GoT to push forward his career, good for him, he deserves it. He’s an actor and his livelihood depends on acting jobs, the more and the bigger the better. Good luck to him in his career.

Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:25 am | Permalink

Conan Stevens,

Thanks for dropping by again, Conan, and for clearing out some doubts. It’s been very interesting to follow your story and I will continue to do so. It’s a shame you couldn’t stay on the GoT project alongside your new opportunities.

94. Sid
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:39 am | Permalink

Too bad about Conan.
    Sorry to see you go mate! Good luck in the future!
    From the show point of view I don’t think the switch will be that noticeable (thank you beard!), and my non-reader co-watcher will probably never know the difference.
    I can actually understand Conan if he had the expectations on the Mountain from the first book, where he is dominating the HUGE tourney, gets a 5-min sword fight with his brother, and gets to kick ass in the battle at the Green Fork. Instead he got one ride on a horse, the (undeniably awesome) horse-beheading, and 4-5 swings with a sword? Meh. Anyway, good luck to Conan on future endeavors and good luck to the guy replacing him!

95. OzXaro
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:49 am | Permalink

It’s a shame about Conan leaving the show, but can any of us say that we wouldn’t do the same, if offered a similar choice in our own careers? He has to do what is best for him.

Lets please not be bitter about this. I personally wish the man only success in his future endeavours. He was physically perfect for Gregor, he gave us everything we needed in Season 1, and he went above and beyond what was required in communicating directly with fans. I’m sure that his replacement will be no less of a professional, even if he won’t be the Gregor we all cheered for when the casting news came out.

So it’s goodbye Gregor, and good luck Conan. I’ll see you in Middle Earth.

96. Pepi
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 6:11 am | Permalink

Ian Whyte played The Beast, Predator, Devil’s Reaper, Sheikh Sulieman, White Walker… and Madame Maxime in Harry Potter. A rather interesting resime. xD

I gotta say I, like most of us, hate recasts. But that being said, I hope this new guy will stick as ser Gregor till the end. Especially if he wont be just an armored stand in in season 2. So, yeh, even with that epic Oberyn fight… getting Conan back would be just confusing for non readers, if you ask me. He was on the show, he decided he has better things to do, that’s it. I wish him the best of luck in the future.

97. Phil
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 7:04 am | Permalink

Connie,

He’s cast in the role of Azog, an Orc chief. There is no character by that name in The Hobbit but he is mentioned in the LOTR appendecies as being the Orc that conquered Moria several centuries before events in The Hobbit.

So whether his part will be a flashback to the Dwarves loosing Moria to the Orcs its not known.

98. Vered
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 8:02 am | Permalink

I just saw Conan’s post.
    I guess I can understand that. He had a chance and took it. I mean the Mountain did have a lot to do at the 1st season…. later on yes, but now? So I guess he did what he thought was right for himself, and no one can blame him for doing that. Can’t say I’m happy about it but there’s not much to do about it now. The decission as been made and that’s that.

I wish hi, luck in whatever he does.

99. darquemode
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 8:04 am | Permalink
  100. Joonas Taipaleenmaki
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Gratz to Conan for getting on with his career, nevertheless it kinda sucks if this recast is permanent. Anyhow I’m sure the new guy will do great.

101. Steve the Pirate
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 8:20 am | Permalink

Conan Stevens,

Thanks for being one of the many great things about Season 1! Good luck with everything in the future. :)

102. Moon
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 8:26 am | Permalink

Conan Stevens:

What does this part of Conan’s post mean? Almost makes it sound like he didn’t know about the recasting.

I must say that I didn’t believe in these news at first, since it seemed that it would have been quite easy to use a body double in full armour for most Gregor scenes and to bring Conan in for the few occasions where he’s out-of-helmet. Also, I remember Conan saying how he looked forward to “the red Viper stuff” earlier this year.

103. Steve the Pirate
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 8:29 am | Permalink

104. Dennai
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 8:56 am | Permalink

Now, you’re being a jerk. And still not too bright.

105. Lili
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 9:15 am | Permalink

Chris,

SEO-trap? ;o) I was actually his “friend” on Facebook for a while, but he kept deleting my comments (which I don’t think anyone else would have found objectionable). So I un-friended him. Real “friends” let you say what you think.

106. Jason Snodgrass
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Well if there was a recast I hope this guy looks a little more impressive in armor. I never pictured the Mountain as a bean pole.

107. Jason Snodgrass
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Get us Nathan Jones as the Mountain!

108. goober
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 10:11 am | Permalink

after SWORD!!! i was looking forward to him screaming in a dornishmans face and phucking shit up.damn it.

109. Pepi
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Hm… I know this is probably wishful thinking(because i really DO hate recasts), but what if they expanded the role of Polliver, who is described as a tall man? He could fill in as an almost-as-imposing second in command of Mountain’s raiding party, while ser Gregor is present at… Tywin’s camp? Because i really do hate recasts… have I said this already? :D

110. sjwenings
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Steve the Pirate: An actor can’t wait three years for one good fight scene. He goes where the acting work is. That’s fair.

This might not even have been Conans decision. But if it is – it seems weird to me, since he would have so little to do in both season 2 and 3. So it wouldn’t be much of a commitment anyway.

111. Ryan Dunn
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Josh Parker,

Actually, I’d take delivering a few overdubbed lines in exchange for finding the perfect embodiment of that particular role. And I’d say Valuev is more than just big and ugly, he actually feels like the Mountain Who Rides to me, whereas the other two front-runners have always felt more human and less monster, but it could just be my own musing.

With other characters, regarding dialog, I would certainly agree, but I can probably count on both hands the number of times Gregor has to speak throughout the entire book series.

…ryan

112. Dante
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

For what it’s worth, I was looking forward to seeing more of Conan Stevens as Gregor. I’ve read Conan Stevens’ blog several times and although it is rather self-promotionalistic (new word), I came away impressed with his focus and drive. I congratulate him on his new opportunities and hope that he finds success. In the meantime, I’m still hoping that D&D bring out more of the story of the Clegane bros and can’t wait to see Gregor be his vicious bad self in Season 2 and beyond.

113. ho5000
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Connie,

Maybe he’s playing the necromancer.

114. Adrian
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:52 am | Permalink

I find it a little weird that Conan says all he wants from his career is “a fair go.”

A recurring, fairly major role in a hugely popular, successful, critically acclaimed show isn’t “a fair go?” How is it “fair” to anyone else in the cast or on the crew to know that you’ve been cast as a character who returns throughout the series, only to straight up acknowledge that you were only using the opportunity…which apparently you cared deeply about and worked hard to get… just to bail when something else…and I say something else because “something better” does not apply…comes along? What if Charles Dance decides he doesn’t want to be Tywin anymore because he enjoys the success of being in the Underworld franchise? Would people be so forgiving? What if Kit Harington decides Jon Snow is now beneath him?

So I don’t buy that it’s about wanting “a fair go.” It was all about getting into the public eye to further his own career, then turning around and slapping in the face the people who DID give him a fair go. I don’t object to him leaving, but I sure object to him insulting my intelligence and lying about his motivations.

115. Phil
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Adrian,

So you’re saying he should have stuck with a show, that in all honesty could – I hope it doesn’t – only end up being 2 seasons. We all hope that it stays the course and all 7, 8 or 9 books (depending on your belief whether GRRM can tie it all up in the next 2) get filmed, but, lets be realistic here. The show will only carry on as long as the ratings stay good and the advertisers are happy.

Acting is a gamble, you may hit it lucky and end up on a Sopranoes or an ER, but then you could end up on a Firefly.

Of course he was in it to further his own career, what actor isn’t?

116. Shinyteapot
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

McKeown looks nothing like I imagined Lorch, but that’s no big deal- appearance is not vital to the character. And having seen those particular voyager episodes and hated them I’ll enjoy seeing Lorch encounter that bear even more :-p

Shame about re-casting Gregor. I really don’t like re-casting in general, it’s jarring and it’s always hard to get used to the new actor. I’m of the opinion that if an actor signs up to something they know is likely to go on for a while, they should stick with it unless there is a very good reason not to, having made that commitment in the first place. Maybe Conan has a very good reason, we don’t know. If not, it’s disappointing but there’s nothing we can do about it so let’s just give support to the new actor. I do hope it doesn’t inspire anyone else to leave though!

I suppose in retrospect that makes it a good thing Gregor was sidelined in series 1 (both Cleganes lost out there I think). I was so disappointed not to see him at Tywin’s war council, and then in the battle itself. Book-Gregor is an evil SOB, but there’s more to him (all of it bad) than the walking tank we saw in the show.

I hope Ian Whyte does well in the role, he’s got the height and experience in other physical, warrior roles which bodes well. He’s not as broad shouldered as Conan, but I imagine the costume department will take care of that. He’s not likely to be seen without armour. And the Mountain’s armour is very good for making an already imposing man look even bigger (great work by whoever designed it).

117. spacechampion
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Adrian:

Doesn’t it occur to you he never said he quit the show? No doubt he had a multi-year contract just like everyone else whose character lasted more than one season on the show. The way these contracts work usually is the show had first dibs on him. He could not accept a role that clashed with this one, unless he negotiated a very unusual contract — which he clearly didn’t have the power to do. It is obvious leaving the show was not his decision. He’s done his Spartacus role, and his Hobbit role certainly won’t take up a lot of time. This clearly was not his decision. Jumping on him self-righteously when you don’t know the facts looks pretty ridiculous.

Now if D&D didn’t want him on the show anymore, there were probably reasons such as they didn’t think much of his acting, or he was an ass on set. That’s pure speculation and no one has any reason to believe it. But there are more realistic things you can attack Conan for than the things you imagine, if you’re so intent on attacking.

Ultimately, it’s no one’s business but Conan’s and D&D’s.

118. IvanGrozny
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

The description Conan gave above seems to hint that it wasn’t his decision.

Maybe its just me, but doesn’t that quote have a bit of a bitter or sarcastic taste to it? I’m honestly not 100% clear how to interpret that line, but I’m prettttyyy sure Conan Stevens knew perfectly well what was happening to his role long before WIC did.

Posted September 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Conan Stevens,

We’ll miss you, Conan. You WERE Gregor!

Good luck in the future!

120. SugarVampire
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

spacechampion,

Regardless of what a contract is, if someone is not happy about his role (” just another big brute who can’t be trusted to speak on camera”), it is better to move on. (There is actually very few words – less than a handful of sentences – uttered by Gregor in all the books!) I doubt D&D want to create more work for themselves if it was not deem really necessary to recast.

Nonetheless, an actor’s career is very fragile. Nothing is really a sure thing. One has to hustle and gamble quite a lot to even earn a living. Hats off to Conan to show House Gatewatch respect by responding here. Obviously this is not a happy news for fans of GoT. Even though I have gone negative on him above and in earlier post, I hereby wish him the very best in his future endeavors.

121. Gaz
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

spacechampion: Ultimately, it’s no one’s business but Conan’s and D&D’s.

Then why do we come on these boards and discuss it? because its the fans show too, and I believe we are allowed the right to discuss why actors have left the show…other wise what is the point of the comments section? Not trying to bitch or fight, but im just saying, I believe as fans it is our business too. Its not a personal or family issue we are discussing here but something that directly influences the show. And if you read his post, i think its clear that it was his decision to quit.

122. AJ
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

IvanGrozny:
    The description Conan gave above seems to hint that it wasn’t his decision.

I agree with that. I’m unsure as to how Conan meant that, but it seemed a little snide.

Regardless, I’m willing to give Conan the benefit of the doubt. Actors are people with emotions, after all, and as likely to get defensive and touchy about stuff as the rest of us, and post knee-jerk comments on the internets (which, as we all know, are serious business). Maybe he was legitimately disappointed with the role of he was given in GoT and hoped for more, and that’s why he left. Maybe he’s a fish-oil salesman who fooled everybody into thinking he’s “one of us” and really he just wanted to use GoT as a stepping stone. I personally think Conan may have undercut his whole “I want to build a grass roots fanbase” thing by ditching GoT, but then it’s not my career to make that choice.

Whatever the reason, acting’s his job, and we’ve all left sucky jobs for better ones, and had to make sacrifices for it. I hope his career does take off in the direction he wants, just as much as I hope Ian Whyte kicks ass as New!Gregor.

123. austin_sleep
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

We didn’t see enough of Conan’s performance to be able to judge it properly IMO.

I suppose it’s the nature of film/TV that a character like Maester Luwin gets 10x the lines of character like Gregor, while Gregor’s actions and presence are vastly more important to the movement of the story.

124. Ashley Blackwoody
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

well I wish him best of luck in his career. and wish people wouldn’t be so knee jerk in their reactions when they’ve only got speculation to go on.

125. spacechampion
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

Ashley Blackwoody:
    well I wish him best of luck in his career.and wish people wouldn’t be so knee jerk in their reactions when they’ve only got speculation to go on.

QFT

126. Lili
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

KG: If all he has to do is stand there and look scary, then the Hobbit got a deal. If they want him to talk, fight, or emote, they’re gonna have trouble.

Even he admits to that… Maybe they decided to recast with someone who will eventually be able to pull off the Oberyn fight scene.

Frankly, I don’t buy the excuse that he doesn’t have time for GoT, while playing small roles on The Hobbit and Extinction, and a larger role on Spartacus. If Sean Bean can film lead roles in four major films and nine episodes of a series in which he is THE star in less than a year, while raising four daughters, protecting Playboy models and driving or taking trains from filmsite to filmsite because he’s afraid to fly; then a much younger man who ISN’T afraid to fly, doesn’t have kids and is famous for being healthy and energetic can surely play three small parts and one larger part in a year. Just sayin’…

127. Lili
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

I just read CS’s post again and have to say that the last time I felt this used I actually got a bit more out of it…

128. GaR
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

Lili,

shades of the innkeep’s daughter?

129. Lili
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

GaR: shades of the innkeep’s daughter?

Yeah.

130. GaR
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Lili,

Gods.

Here’s hoping Polliver, Raff, et al, haven’t all queued up for a turn.

131. Ed
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Well, we ARE talking Sean Bean here…

Lili: Even he admits to that…Maybe they decided to recast with someone who will eventually be able to pull off the Oberyn fight scene.

Frankly, I don’t buy the excuse that he doesn’t have time for GoT, while playing small roles on The Hobbit and Extinction, and a larger role on Spartacus. If Sean Bean can film lead roles in four major films and nine episodes of a series in which he is THE star in less than a year, while raising four daughters, protecting Playboy models and driving or taking trains from filmsite to filmsite because he’s afraid to fly; then a much younger man who ISN’T afraid to fly, doesn’t have kids and is famous for being healthy and energetic can surely play three small parts and one larger part in a year.Just sayin’…

132. GaR
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

Spartacus and The Hobbit are probably a bit easier for Conan to commute to, being just over the ditch in NZ, rather than on the other side of the world.

133. IvanGrozny
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

I have different reactions depending on what happened.

If Conan chose to leave for better roles or whatever, then I gotta say, using the ‘grassroots fanbase’ you mean to build and then discarding the role they earned you (and that you campaigned heavily for) to move onto another series/movie? Not the smoothest move in the history of smoothness. My sentiment echoes Lili if such is the case.

134. Conan Stevens
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 12:32 am | Permalink

Thanks everyone. If you really want to understand what is happening just remember who the real Tyrion is :)

135. sjwenings
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 12:56 am | Permalink

Huh? You?

136. Mark Robben
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 1:04 am | Permalink

Conan Stevens:

George RR Martin? Ya lost me.

137. clemintine
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 1:06 am | Permalink

IvanGrozny: If Conan was given the boot and it wasn’t his fault, he was just a victim of circumstance, he has all my sympathy and I wonder what happened. If he got the boot and it was his fault, I wonder what happened even more.

I agree. We don’t know what went on here, so I don’t know whether to feel sympathy or not. If he was fired, then I feel bad and it’s a stupid move because I loved him as Gregor, could not image anyone better, and was looking forwards to more of him. If he quit, then that is a dick move, using GoT like a stepping stone and then discarding it.

138. IvanGrozny
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 1:34 am | Permalink

Conan Stevens:

I am confused and frightened. Next you’ll be asking us where whores go.

139. Pepi
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 3:06 am | Permalink

Conan Stevens:

A Hobbit? :S

140. fhan
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 5:33 am | Permalink

Lili: If Sean Bean can film lead roles in four major films and nine episodes of a series in which he is THE star in less than a year, while raising four daughters, protecting Playboy models and driving or taking trains from filmsite to filmsite because he’s afraid to fly; then a much younger man who ISN’T afraid to fly, doesn’t have kids and is famous for being healthy and energetic can surely play three small parts and one larger part in a year.

The difference is that Sean Bean is the star. No one would give him the boot over a scheduling conflict. Less known actors will not be so lucky.

Conan Stevens: If you really want to understand what is happening just remember who the real Tyrion is :)

That sounds like GRRM was unhappy with Conan or his performance and lobbied to have him off the show …

141. Firass Bouz
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 5:34 am | Permalink

Conan Stevens: encounter that bear eve

reading the books, i liked the character of the mountain, and seeing you doing it made me shiver with fear ! you did the role well conan, good luck in your future .

142. Steve
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 5:42 am | Permalink

Conan Stevens:

Come on, you can’t leave us like that Conan! What do you mean? Are you gonna be back for season 3? Pleeeaaase be!
    I don’t want to see anyone else doing season 3!

143. Moon
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 7:02 am | Permalink

Conan Stevens:

Well… Conan was dubbed “the real Tyrion” in a comment here at WiC.net for being so cunning: http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/05/quick-hits-part-ii-quicker-with-more-punch/#comment-101592

So whatever is going on is because of him being cunning, I guess. :D Which could either mean that he cleverly used GoT as a stepping stone and in one way or another managed to break his multiple-seasons contract… or that they are using a body double for season 2 and haven’t decided what to do for season 3 (in which case the comments here would convince the producers to bring Conan back)… or he’s spreading the rumours himself to get more publicity (which would be in line with the strategies that he talked about in his Westeros.org interview)… or that I’m overanalyzing this.

Anyway, I think that Conan really nailed Gregor. I’d hate it if he didn’t return to the show.

144. Shinyteapot
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 7:16 am | Permalink

Moon,

Given what we’ve heard from set reports Gregor will have lines and his face will be visible I think it would be more jarring to swap back for the third series. One recast is bad, doing it twice would be horrible. Let’s just hope the new Gregor is up to the challenge! He was the Predator so there’s a good chance he is :)

Best of luck to Conan in future projects, but I’d rather not see Gregor swapped again.

145. Adam Whitehead
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 7:37 am | Permalink

Nope. My understanding is that only the title cast members and a few key recurring actors (I imagine the likes of Conleth Hill, Gethin Anthony and Donald Sumpter, but that’s speculative) were given such a contract. Quite a few actors further down the pecking order, even ones who have much bigger roles in later books/seasons, were hired on an episode-by-episode basis, and if they happen to be working on something else when GoT needs them again, then tough luck. Keeping everyone on retainer for future seasons that may not happen would be prohibitively expensive, even for HBO.

Whether Conan falls into this bracket or not is unknown.

146. The_Rabbit01
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 7:47 am | Permalink

IvanGrozny,

I am confused and frightened. Next you’ll be asking us where whores go.

lol

147. Epic-itty
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Conan Stevens,

Is this relevant?

“I’m over here, now.” –Andrew Dice Clay

148. Damryn of Dorne
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

im kind of miffed that Conan won’t be on season 2 :(

149. Baramos
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Johan Sporre,

A lot of that is all about camera angles and so on. I’m sure Whyte can be as menacing as Stevens.

150. Raúl Lapuente
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 5:22 am | Permalink

Recast is a difficult issue. Watch a show and become aware two actors for a same role is really annoying.

spacechampion: Ultimately, it’s no one’s business but Conan’s and D&D’s.

Maybe best option.
    Season 2: Ian Whyte in full armor and Amory Lorch (Clegane fellow bannerman) dealing his lines.
    Season 3 (hopefully): It´ll be fantastic bring back Stevens in the trial by combat, maybe one of S3 greatest scenes. After that a body double for “Robert Strong” (ADWD). But this seem hard.
    Best of luck to Conan Stevens, your Sir Gregor is true impresive, thanks for your posts.

151. Lili
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Daan,

Daan: What changed my view on him was his black and white stance on piracy. I don’t want to open up that issue again, but surely a fan who has no way of seeing the series legally can download them and buy the DVD later. His rigid stance rubs against a lot of fans all over the world (well me mainly ;) and isn’t smart and nice at all).

I can’t find anything about this on his website. Is there a specific link?

152. Pepi
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Lili,

He was talking about it here, if I’m not mistaken.

153. Tc
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

This is off topic, but I just found this:
    This is for anyone to vote on what they think should win in the Emmy’s, and Game of Thrones is in third, above Mad Men! Personally, I was surprised

154. clemintine
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Tc: This is off topic, but I just found this:

I read the comments. There are some NCIS and other spammers loose. Urg. Now to scrub out my eyes.

155. Jeda
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Kind of disapointed with the Gregor re-cast. I was really looking forward to more Gregor scenes from the Arya chapters of book 2 (assuming they made room for them). I was keen to see how he would translate the disturbing psychological and physical violence that occurs in these chapters to the screen. As some said above, if he was let go it’s a shame, if he decided to move for bigger roles after a campaign that felt like commitment but in the end was not, it’s a disapointing move. But until we know the full story, minds should be open, so good luck Conan I’ll certainly check out more of your work.

156. The Red Avenger
    Posted September 16, 2011 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Somebody above mentioned Azog doesn’t appear in the Hobbit but in the appendices. But I do remember his son appearing – Bolg and it clearly mentions him as Bolg son of Azog. Perhaps Conan is playing both. Also the actor who played Lurtz was really a stuntman Laurence Makaore although he’s had the odd acting role. Another stuntman Sala Baker (Sauron) has also had a bit of a career. However to LOTR fans these guys are as much a star draw as the actors, so it’s a fair gamble Conan has taken.

157. PatD
    Posted September 16, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Get us Nathan Jones as the Mountain!

Wow. Who is that guy? He fits the part (physically) perfectly.

I also don’t get all the criticism about the fight scene at the tourney. I thought it came off like real men wielding huge, heavy swords, rather than the slick acrobatics we see in most likewise scenes. I’m no stunt expert, but that’s one thing I did notice about all of the fight scenes in the series.

No idea what the story is behind CS leaving/being replaced, but I really don’t think it’ll matter much, to the continuity of the show, at this point, considering what little screen time he had in S1.

158. Jeda
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 1:53 am | Permalink

PatD,

Agreed for the tourney.

I thought of Nathan Jones years ago, long before I heard of Stevens going for the role, but aside from his sheer size and scarylooks he didn’t really fit the part to me. He looks too much like a berserk front line and wouldn’t have the commanding dimension of Gregor (I’m not saying tactician here, just commanding). But then again, maybe it was only the roles he was given, who knows…. with a beard….

159. Lauren
    Posted September 22, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

PatD: The *worst* news for me this week, is that Ros will have a bigger role on the show. I wish I knew why D&D are so crazy over that character/actress, because I just don’t get it.

I feel the same way. The book is full of so many amazing characters that Ros is totally unnecessary. There is plenty of sex and whorehouse scenes in the book to add to the show if they feel the need for gratuitous nudity. It’s going to annoy me to no end if they cut *actual* characters just so we’re forced to watch more of “Ros” prancing around naked with her weird lip sneer-y way of speaking.

160. Hörður Hólm Ingibjargarson
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed the books and I never thought of the Mountain as having a beard but Conan Stevens looks exactly like I imagined him. In truth the Mountain isn’t all the much in the second book. You just constantly hear about what he is doing. I wish they could try to work out some time for Conan to shoot the few scenes needed for the second season.

I don’t feel Ian Whyte looks remotely like the Mountain. And you have to think about it like this The Mountain is suppose to be a lot more scary looking then The Hound. And Rory McCann looks pretty fierce as The Hound.

Hopefully they will just keep The Mountain in a close faced helm till Conan is back.

161. Matt
    Posted November 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Man I am totally disappointed. Conan absolutely was Ser Gregor. The replacement doesn’t look anything like what Gregor should look. He looks more like he wants to cuddle a kitten than rape and murder. I find it discouraging that the producers grabbed the first tall actor they could come by (as Ian Whyte had played a bit part in season 1 already) rather than actually search for someone who could fill the shoes of Conan and accurately continue the character as he was introduced to us. I was extremely excited about this character reemerging in future seasons, now though, I have my doubts.

162. Jonathan
    Posted April 29, 2012 at 4:58 am | Permalink

Jon Eck,

actually, conan says on his blog that it was HBO that didn’t renew his contract for season two…very strange thing.

163. Dee McDowell
    Posted May 12, 2012 at 3:33 am | Permalink

Conan Stevens HAS a following, casting Whyte in the role is a travesty. I’m sure he has the ability but there is only ONE Ser gregor & that’s CONAN STEVENS. The malice & fury just rolled off Conan in that role.. BRING BACK CONAN!!!!!

1. [...] first season portrayed by Conan Stevens, will instead be played by Ian Whyte in the second season, Winter-Is-Coming is [...]

2. [...] …Fintan McKeown has been cast as the character Amory Lorch. In related news, there are reports that the role of Ser Gregor Clegane, played by Conan Stevens in the show’s first season, may have been recast with Ian Whyte now portraying the role… [Winter-Is-Coming.net] [...]