Quick Hits: The Pointy End, Parody, and a Podcast of Ice & Fire
By Winter Is Coming on in Awards, Humor, Press.
  • Let’s start things off with a new The Pointy End comic! It contains the “exclusive” casting announcement of an “all-new character.”
  • Also did you check out the latest Game of Thrones Parody vid? There really does need to be an old school style Thrones video game.
  • Game of Thrones has been nominated in a number of different categories in Spike TV’s Scream Awards, including the top award, The Ultimate Scream. Be sure to vote for Thrones!
  • If you live in or around Swindon, you may want to head over to film memorabilia store Fan Favourites on Oct 1st where they will be holding a Thrones cast signing event. Current attendees are Maisie Williams (Arya), Julian Glover (Pycelle) and David Bradley (Walder Frey). More will be announced.
  • Writer Will Self profiles Emilia Clarke for the New York Times. The article itself is a bit strange (it sounds like he did a full interview but didn’t actually give us any quotes from Emilia?), but the photo alone is worth a click. Flawless.
  • If you’ve finished reading A Dance with Dragons, be sure to check out A Podcast of Ice and Fire’s Guys Night Out episode where they talk all about the book. Our own FaBio joins as a guest host, along with Elio from Westeros.org and Alex from Tower of the Hand.

Posted September 12, 2011 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Haha, great new instalment ;)

2. Sid
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Emilia… mmmmmmm….

3. JakePT
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

That Emilia Clarke article truly is bizarre. “Emilia Clarke is from Game of Thrones, I interviewed her, leave her alone, the end.”

Ummm … K?

4. Epic the wunderkin
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 11:37 am | Permalink

JakePT,

In other words, she’s a nice middle class girl with bouncy eyebrows who (plays? is?) a fantasy sexy symbol. The end. So nice he didn’t have to lie about her performance or wallow in the horribly dull details of her personal life.

5. GrzebykK
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Very nice photo indeed.

6. Johan Sporre
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

At least we know that Emilia didn’t say anything about sex scenes or whom she’s dating. That’s worthwhile.

7. HouseLark
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

I’m familiar with Will Self’s work (very funny, usually with a clever premise) and him as a person (well, his TV and media persona). Unfortunately for Emilia fans, I think he was being subtly scathing about her.

The way he lists the points of their conversation seems like he’s trying to suggest he got nothing he did not expect from the interview; that she was just another of the long line of nice, attractive, media-savvy young actors that are so desperate to not offend that they come across as boring.

Maybe the interview was dull. To me it’s a bit of a sniffy write-up. It reminds me of the way Jonathan Franzen wrote about the characters in the first half of The Corrections, kind of like he felt he was above them.

8. Delta
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Johan Sporre,

Perhaps if we work really hard at it, we can scrap together a quote by process of elimination regarding what she didn’t say.

9. Lela
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Horribly enough, that comic scared me into texting my brother like a drunk man. Then I noticed that it was a comic and that “exclusive casting” had quotation marks. I need someone to get my brother a defibrillator…

10. Epic the wunderkin
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

HouseLark,

Clearly he was not intrigued by her answers–the worst part probably being the books she is reading which he clearly was not impressed by; not the most sophisticated or remotely interesting answer. The other answers she gave he enumerated as being run-of-the-mill answers that don’t merit exploration and did not strike him as charming or worth talking about. She does sound like a caricature of a young actress who is fully behind the GoT machine.

Though there is emphasis on ‘plain’, ‘dull’, ‘sensible’, and though he does seem ironically let down that she is nothing like her character, he does protect himself by saying he also is middle-class and feeling slightly protective toward how earnest this plain young actress is in a paternal, or maybe condescending, way.

11. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Epic the wunderkin,

Hey Epic your IMDB name wouldnt happen to be Discerning Taste or Purple Lemon would it?

12. Epic the wunderkin
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

lol… based on those names I hope I don’t sound as snobby. But to answer your question, no..

13. grandmaFunk
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

I was only able to stomach about two paragraph of that NYTimes “article”, shame they wasted an interesting topic, Emilia, on such a self-involved writer.

14. sjwenings
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

The stuff about – her being big breasted, not asking about sex scenes, her being a sex symbol and telling people to stop fantasizing about her, and that he himself surely would not do so – is so weird, and kinda creepy.

Is he talking to himself here? “I should not ask her about sexstuff, I should stop fantasizing about her” etc…

15. Cyan
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Podcast was awesome, 3 hours of good laughs.

16. Sid
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

I will put my psychic grubby fingers wherever I like, thank-you very much! Btw, did anyone notice that her dress is like 6000$? Such a shame to rip it…:D

17. Sean Fan
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Kind of an unusual set of awards for GOT to be nominated in. First thoughts (for the uninitiated that never have heard of them before) are that they are for projects that fall under the “Horrror” genre (after all it is the “SCREAM” Awards). Didn’t realize that they include “Fantasy” and “Comic” also. Thanks for pointing them out! Just voted!

The other categories to vote in (besides The Ultimate Scream) are:

Best Fantasy Actor- Sean Bean

Best Fantasy Actress- Lena Headey

Most Memorable Mutilation- GOT (Varys crown of gold)

Best Ensemble- GOT

Best Performance-Female- Emilia Clarke

Best Supporting Actor- Peter Dinklage

18. fuelpagan
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Tent collapse

Guess filming is over for the day. Hoping the injured worker has a speedy recovery.

19. Sean Fan
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Oh my! I had read over the weekend about Hurricane Katia (that had skirted the Caribbean and then veared towards Europe) was going to hit the UK on Monday/Tuesday. I also hope the worker will be O.K. Seventy five mile an hour winds can do a lot of damage. I’m surprised they were working at all in hurricane conditions like that. Guess it was the catering tent.

There is a little bit bigger photo of the tent at this “related” link……

20. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

fuelpagan:
    Tent collapse

That must have been really frightening for those folks. Thankfully it didn`t have a worse outcome.
    I had no idea that filming had resumed at Ballintoy Harbour. I think it is safe to assume the filming schedule is NOT following the layout of the book . With that in mind characters like the Reeds etc could be cast later in the season. The Winterfell stuff may well be shot after the Croation and Icelandic locations.
    The lack of information coming out this year is frustrating though,it makes a long wait seem longer.

21. Daan
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Hi, I was just looking at “de wereld draait door”, a popular daily dutch tv-program when Carice van Houten turned up in her capacity as promotor of singer/songwriters (this time Ane Brun, very good). She said she had just returned from filming in Ireland and mentioned while explaining what GoT was that she had signed for 5 years!

22. Tessa Leonie
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

OT
    Carice van Houten just did a bit on a dutch talkshow, and they talked a tiny bit about GoT, though mostly to try to explain GoT to the insipid dutch host ( just the way he pronounced ‘fantasy’ sent shivers down my spine (but it was naturally followed by the horniness over it being a big american show). But she got out pretty well (though I don’t know how relevant the LotR comparison was, apparently it denotes quality fantasy for the masses or something)
    She does look like she has lost a lot of weight so i’m guessing melisandre won’t be very voluptuous. I guess we already know the red hair was gonna be wig. I’m sure she’ll do great as long as there is not a trace of a dutch accent.

23. The Rabbit
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Lord Two Feathers,

It think it is the tent over the set of which I posted the link today.
    Theone is visible at the far left above the tents on the set.

24. Tessa Leonie
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Daan,

haha you beat me to it and actually managed to post the actual news

25. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit:
    Lord Two Feathers,

It think it is the tent over the set of which I posted the link today.
    Theoneis visible at the far left above the tents on the set.

Ah! It all becomes a little clearer now. Thats Larrybane quarry,which is between Ballintoy and the Carrick a Rede rope bridge. For some reason (beer) I thought that since it was you who posted the pics. that the set was under construction in Croatia……..

26. silverjaime
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Lord Two Feathers,

I was wondering – I knew it wasn’t Balintoy itself.

27. silverjaime
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

One for you, Rabbit, what scenes do you think they’re going to film in Croatia??

28. Daan
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Tessa Leonie,

Haha, yes, but you were really spot on about the presenter. I really don’t like that guy.

29. Tessa Leonie
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Daan,

I know i’ve been dreading that moment since CvH was cast since she’s a regular contributor to DWDD

30. The Rabbit
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

silverjaime,

Guys, how far away is Carrick a Rede rope bridge from Belfats by bus (or another transport). ?
    As it seems and if I arrive on time in Belfast on Thursday before TitanCon, I just got the idea to visit that part of Northern Ireland on Friday.
    Not even for spying, just to admiring the countryside. I saw a lots of pics lately and it looks beautiful!

31. The Rabbit
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

silverjaime,

Kings Landing exterios as far as we know in the Old city and its gates.
    Quarth – on the island Lokrum.
    There is also a new location recently confirmed – the hill Dubac some miles eastern of Dubrovnik – my guess it would be Vaes Tolorro.
    Then there is also a rumour they gonna film on the Lapad coastal zone – it is the gulf area more west from the Old City – which may serve as a location for Battle of the Blackwater.

32. Eleanor
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Will Self, writing something strange? NEVAH.

Like the description above of a self-involved Self.

33. Daan
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Tessa Leonie,

I know, you could wait for it.
    Still I was happy for the chance to contribute something more to this site than my opinions.
    supporting bottoms and all that.

The 5 year signing off course only means that D&D are looking further into the future than I presumed, not that those years are greenlighted. So it is just minor news.

34. KG
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Epic the wunderkin,

Looks to me like he hit on her and got shot down hard, so he’s being bitchy.

35. silverjaime
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

Hi – from Belfast it’s an hour and a half drive for me ( but I drive fast) so 1.5 – 2 hrs. Don’t know about the bus – you can go Belfast to the bigger towns but to Balintoy I don’t know.

36. Peltast
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

As someone not familiar with Will Self, that NY Times article came across as condescending all around. There’s probably some sort of subtext I’m missing here, but on face value the combination of that sex goddess photo (our sun and stars!) and “keep your grubby hand off her” vibe in the article is also more than vaguely creepy.

37. Grujah
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

For Best Horror actor I voted True Blood instead of Walking Dead by misclick. If somebody would do the opposite it would be awesome.

:D

38. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

If you like I would be happy to pick you up at your hotel and give you a guided tour on Friday morning. Let me know if that would suit you, we can arrange it.

39. Sean Fan
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit: Lord Two Feathers, It think it is the tent over the set of which I posted the link today.Theone is visible at the far left above the tents on the set.

If that big tent collapsed then I wonder how those little ones pictured in your photos fared? That last pic shows how open (vulnerable) that location is!

I also realized I made a mistake in my award listings post above. It should read: “Breakout Performance-Female” NOT “Best Performance-Female”.

40. The Rabbit
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Lord Two Feathers,

Thank you very much for your offer!
    First I must see if I would have any tasks for TitanCon on Friday. I am proud volonteer at the event. :)

41. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

Ok Rabbit. I understand. If you are not busy and have time for sight seeing, let me know, or if you need any help or information just ask.

42. haiku_hodor
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Pointy end comic
    Not funny to begin with
    Now it’s jumped the shark

43. Johan Sporre
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

Are you going to Giant’s Causeway as well? Carrick-a-rede is only about 15 minutes or so away by car.

I liked the coastal road from Belfast to Bushmills (I got a glimpse of the Wall on the way!). There was some fantastic scenery, but it adds an hour or so to the time I think.

44. Wastrel
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

KG:
    Epic the wunderkin,

Looks to me like he hit on her and got shot down hard, so he’s being bitchy.

Can we get a little perspective here, please?

She’s a young actress in her first major role, in a reasonably-succesful TV show, with no apparent interesting features. Sure, we here are interested in the show. And she wasn’t too bad in it (I thought she was quite good, but I know some non-reader fans who thought her acting was terrible – so ‘not too bad’ is probably a good average of views I’ve encountered).

Will Self, on the other hand, is Will Fucking Self. Award-winning writer and famous General Commentator on Stuff, a familiar sight on TV and in the papers. His own backstory is full of heroin and self-harm and SF novels. Of course he finds her boring. This is the man who found interviewing the Prime Minister so boring that he spent his time taking heroin on the PM’s private jet instead. Such a trivial interview is a waste of his time, and if he weren’t such an uncontrollable weirdo I doubt he’d have bothered doing it at all. [And of course he comes across as creepy and snobbish. He's Will Self. Ironic, sex-obsessed grotesquerie with an undercurrant of middle-class intellectual condescension is the whole point of his oeuvre!]

It’s kind of like having the star batsman for your village cricket team being interviewed by Michael Parkinson. Of course the village cricket team is very important to you (/us), but to the rest of the world it rather seems the other way around.

45. KG
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

Wastrel,

Wow … a Self fanboy. I didn’t think they existed. Just send him a Valentine and get it over with.

46. SG
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

There are some press releases floating about regarding Guierrmo Del Toro’s new horror movie, Mama, which will star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau:

That article mentions filming on the new movie starts in Toronto on October 3, so NCW must be wrapping up his Season 2 work very soon.

47. MW
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

I need to burn that pic of Emilia onto my retinas permanently.

48. GrandmaFunk
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

Wastrel: Can we get a little perspective here, please?

the correct perspective would be that him being famous for his douchebaggery doesn’t make the article any more excusable, it just make NYTimes look really really bad for employing such a tool.

49. Epic fail
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

GrandmaFunk: NYTimes look really really bad for employing such a tool.

Yeah, I can picture 2, maybe 3 genre fiction lovin’, fantasy tv show protectors of the universe protectin’, uber nerd-base cancelling their smarter-than-thou subscriptions to that godawful newspaper already.

But seriously, I liked that article. It got spunk.

50. Ginny
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

HouseLark:

That guy just sounds like a sexist asshole who was disgustingly rude. She’s probably too nice of a person to tell him to fuck off. I volunteer to do it for her.

51. Sid
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 3:20 am | Permalink

I have to agree with the people complaining about this article. Self might be an excellent writer/journalist, with the most spectacular of backgrounds, but it does not change the fact that the article is absolute rubbish. I hereby declare that Self owns me two minutes of life that I wasted on his semi-coherent outburst of indifference and questionable moralities. If you write an article about someone, please get some answers to at least some interesting questions about the subject. To keep referring to a “nice brother”? WTF is that? Next time do your job as an interviewer and get some personal quotes. Punk.

Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:01 am | Permalink

I agree on the low quality of that article, almost offensive. It doesn’t matter what the qualities of the writer are, as a stand-alone the piece is rubbish.

Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:03 am | Permalink

My Lord,

May I take you up on that offer? I am likewise arriving on Thursday evening, and will have time on Friday for sightseeing (have only managed some limited town walks a few months ago). Probably some things to arrange with FaB – such as finally meeting this WiC.net legend – but that shouldn’t take the whole day.

54. Wastrel
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:26 am | Permalink

Sid:

That’s not his job. He’s not an interviewer in the sense of some guy the media companies use to channel pretty bio information and advertising quotes to. His ‘job’ is constructing a certain (largely unpleasant) satirical depiction of society, and this interview has to be seen in light of the larger project. You don’t read the article to learn about Clarke, you read the article to learn about Self (or Self’s ironic self-depiction, at any rate).

This is like complaining that films aren’t all documentaries – hey filmmakers, do your job and get us fascinating facts about little-known topics! Well sometimes they might, but that’s incidental to making a dramatic film about a subject.

KG: I’m not a fanboy. I’ve never even read any of his books. Please try to consider that the world is not black and white?

55. Wastrel
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 6:09 am | Permalink

Trying to clarify my point:

- when an unknown person interviews a celebrity, we expect them to ‘do their job’: we’re not interested in the interviewer, we just want them to relate to us what the celebrity said, perhaps with a little contextualisation and editing to produce a clearer narrative

- however, when a celebrity decides to write an article about an unknown person (or in this case a virtually unknown person), it’s a little ridiculous to tell him to do his job and convey the answers the unknown person gave. That’s not the point of the article – or at least it needn’t be. The unknown person is only being mentioned because it serves the purposes of the celebrity – the celebrity has just happened to choose a real-life person to discuss, rather than a fictional character, but it’s still his story to tell. If you don’t like his stories, fine, but expecting him to just be an entertainment-industry hack is silly. After all, nobody (except us) really cares what Clarke says.

56. The_Rabbit01
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 6:25 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Lord Two Feathers,

I ll be glad to get know Northern Ireland better if I arrange everything with TitanCon guys on Thursday!
    HMR – I ll send you my mobile number via Twitter DM :)

57. Steve
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

About the Emilia Clarke “interview”. How bad is that journalist? That was the worst “interview” I’ve ever read. Poor Emilia, to have to deal with the likes of him -.-
    The picture was amazingly beautiful though.

58. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Epic the wunderkin,

Cool. Had to ask. I’ve put a bounty on their heads you see…trolls extraordinaire. You rolled with my punch. You sir are exonerated.

Continue please…:-)

59. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

Wastrel,

And if Emilia Clarke is as cool as she appears than she probably laughed her ass off over the entire affair.
    Like it or loathe it, it’s publicity for her and the people in the industry will look past any ‘slanders’ in the article regarding her person or her talent and will see it for a Will Self piece about Will Self trying to deal with the enigma that is Emilia Clarke and the “pork swords and sorcerers” fantasy series she is a part of.

60. Ginny
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Wastrel:
    Trying to clarify my point:

Your opinion that Emilia Clarke (being on one of the highest rated and critically acclaimed HBO shows) is a nobody is rather a stretch, but all together has nothing to do with whether this article is worth reading or not. The writer sounds like a sexist prick who thinks he’s better than other people.

Guess what? I have been invited to other countries and have signed autographs for hours at a time with people lined up around the building at conventions. That does not mean it gives me the right to be condescending and rude to other people.

Being respectful to people who are being respectful to you is not something that should be optional.

And I don’t think constantly talking about someone’s boobs makes an insightful article. But that’s just my opinion.

61. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

Ginny,

In Canada where I live there is this old curmudgeon on the CBC named Rex Murphy. This guy is a Rhode Scholar, they are a select few and his history and personal life is probably not as colourful as Mr. Self’s. The thoughts and points made in the article carry that intellectual disdain for what they see as middle to upper class populist entertainment sounds exactly like the commentary Rex Murphy would offer. Look up his articles surrounding Harry Potter or the Star Wars phenomenon. People like Murphy and Self are arrogant intellectual, proud stubborn people and are very set in their ways as they have massive egoes (maybe the last bit applies to Self more than Rex Murphy) and are unequivocally snobs. Have you read the New Yorker? Critically praised series and films are torn to pieces in favour of what one would call pretentious art cinema. There are always going to be haters and people who read the New Yorker and the Times and the New York Times are happy with these writers’ perspective.

All Wastrel is saying is basically this: the guy’s an asshole, he’s famous for being an asshole and Emilia Clarke was the topic of his article. He shows disdain for GoT and the fantasy genre in general but he is honest how he talks about Ms. Clarke and he is never openly derogatory to her. And our Emilia is probably sharing this with Kitt or Richard or Lena or NCW or Iain or Michelle and having a good chuckle, regaling to them about what a fucking weirdo her interviewer was.

It’s good press for her and I daresay her publicist made sure she knew who Will Self was before she did the interview.

62. Baramos
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Man, that article was horrible. A bunch of odd metaphors, euphemisms, and annoying alliteration (alliteration intended) combined with weird descriptions of things (for instance, when Drogo is described as a “mutant Klingon”, which kind of makes sense in that he is a human, so I guess if he totally lacks the skull ridges he IS a mutant klingon, but I have the feeling if anyone reads it without having watched the show they’ll think the Dothraki are metahumans who look even freakier than a Klingon instead of just Cossack dudes).

63. Baramos
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Like this rape of the Oxford English Dictionary here:

“Simultaneously large of breast and short of stature, she maintains an expression of piqued impassivity whether romping about naked on Drogo’s equally expansive embonpoint or watching him dispatch her uppity brother with a firkin of molten gold to the scalp.”

Glarghargle. I can’t stand reading it.

64. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 1:49 am | Permalink

*Sigh*

It seems everyone is missing the entire point of the article. The people who follow Will Self’s columns are reading it to see what Will Self is talking about today, not whom he has interviewed. It’s stylistic, its arrogant, its pretentious. And in the grand scheme of things the snobby people who actually care what he has to say will keep sniffing at fantasy in general. Let them wallow in their pretentiousness. But hey if you want to get angry about something I am very certain Emilia Clarke knew what it would entail from the start.. ah well to each their own.

65. Ginny
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 2:15 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    *Sigh*

It seems everyone is missing the entire point of the article. The people who follow Will Self’s columns are reading it to see what Will Self is talking about today, not whom he has interviewed. It’s stylistic, its arrogant, its pretentious. And in the grand scheme of things the snobby people who actually care what he has to say will keep sniffing at fantasy in general. Let them wallow in their pretentiousness.But hey if you want to get angry about something I am very certain Emilia Clarke knew what it would entail from the start.. ah well to each their own.

If I start posting blogs that are rude, disgustingly sexist, and borderline incoherent do you think someone will pay me money for it?

I should try that.

66. Steve
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 2:20 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Well, I don’t care. I still hate it.

67. Robert Kern
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 2:24 am | Permalink

I’m fairly certain that the point is that the article is crap. Whether or not the author is famous, and to what purpose people read the column really has no bearing upon whether or not it is crap, and it most certainly is.

68. Steve
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 2:42 am | Permalink

Oh nooooo I just spoiled myself massively! I read too late that the podacast contains spoilers so I clicked on the link and…. well, IF you’ve read ADWD check out the second comment :(
    And I was about to start reading ADWD tomorrow -.-” finishing my re-read today
    No I’m not so sure I even want to read ADWD anymore :/

69. goober
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 3:15 am | Permalink

that there podcast was some entertainin n’enlightening shit.
    had never read the books.watched the show and decided i better read the books to see if the source material was as good.it was better.after this podcast i thought i might as well start reading them again.

70. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

The_Rabbit01:
    Hear Me Roar,

Lord Two Feathers,

I ll be glad to get know Northern Ireland better if I arrangeeverything with TitanCon guys on Thursday!
    HMR – I ll send you my mobile number via Twitter DM :)

Ok HMR, If you want I would be glad to show you and/ or Rabbit around. Spending a day with a friendly lion and a white rabbit on a road trip sounds like a fun day out.
    I have plans for the weekend so I would need to be dropping you off in Belfast again around 6pm. To get as far as the rope bridge and Ballintoy and back comfortably I would have to pick you guys up at 10am. If that is to early for you to have your other business completed, we could leave around mid day and do a shorter tour.Although it would be a shame for you to miss the north coast.
    Please leave me a definate yes or no, and the time you want picked up on this thread by next wednesday evening at the latest. I assume you are both staying in or near the Europa Hotel, I could pick you up from outside their front door.

71. Epic Wunderscheisse
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Steve,

Great book, don’t miss it. It’s so rich, so dense, that every combination of words is like a magickal flight of fancy about dragons and dancin’. I believe it is a metaphysical detective novel about where whores go, bespeckled with mouth-watering menus of grand medieval feasts. I’m on page 52 and loving it. There are so many characters names that the text sometimes seems like it is a poor translation of a lost afriquen tribal language. Additionally, I think there may be prequels to this book. It seems to start in the middle of something, kind of like Star Wars IV: A New Hope. The strangely “mental” (to borrow from the 80′s idiom) dwarf alone is worth a Lynchian narration in the tradition of the sand blasted peyote riddled desert promenade. You follow me don’t you? Due to my very slow reading of this swollen pamphlet, I have trained myself to avoid spoilers. But sometimes I will have to exert my own iron will to abruptly halt spoilerage in mid stream.

72. Steve the Pirate
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Steve,
    Just go read the book, dude. That comment makes things seem much more in stone than they really are. A lot is up in the air.

73. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Ginny,

If you become famous like Will Self for whatever infamous reasons (ie: drug addled media personality) than you will probably get paid for it for certain. It’s the same reason people watch reality tv is the same reason why people read Will Self”s columns or why people watch TMZ and traffic Perez Hilton’s site. Newspapers and magazine publishers know this and that is why the pay people like Will Self to write these pretentious, hilarious self deprecating and at the same time somewhat insulting interviews. There’s a demand for them.

Please don’t misjudge me, I am not a bad guy, I personally found the article humorous and you may crucify me, but well written. He calls Clarke buxom in the article and does have a sexist slant but that’s because he is being self deprecating writing his stream of consciousness that despite his disdain for the series and for fantasy in general (he seems more towards a sci-fi slant it seems what with the Khal Drogo as Klingon reference) he finds her quite alluring and seems appropriately pervy in wanting to protect her from those fanboys. He actually creates a sweet and wholesome almost virginal depiction of Clarke as opposed to the character whom she plays. It’s creepy yes, it’s sexist yes, but that’s Will Self and he comes off as a person so in love with himself, so full of shit, so pretentious, so arrogant that he reminds me of a character in one of Noah Baumbach’s films like Jeff Daniels in the Squid and the Whale, as someone who is such a blowhard that you laugh at this person. That’s where I see the humour in the article. And that’s why I think it’s well written, not because I am a sexist jerk or a fan of Will Self.

It’s obvious this piece has upset people and I respect that, I am merely trying to bring another perspective to it and illustrate how this is a PR boost for Emilia Clarke’s career not a detriment to it.

Peace?

74. Epic Wunderscheisse
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Well said!

For me, that article was funny. It doesn’t have to change how some people love the show and others don’t (or that Clarke is who she is). I know it’s hard for some GoT fans to accept that world is still turning, but it really is!

75. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Baramos,

LOL! My favorite passage, he definitely has a command of the english vocabulary. Each one of those words are perfectly chosen to illustrate what a pretentious, narcisstic, cynical fop that he is. This guy is a hipster cartoon!

76. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Epic Wunderscheisse,

Thanks for the support. I wish Wastrel would return but he must have sighed away somewhere. By the by, are you all the Epics (you go by different names on given days…or moods) or are you part of some sort of fraternity of droll, realist borderline-Trollish ASOIAF fans? Because if you are I want to join, I can even write a Simpsons Stonecutter-esque anthem for all the Epics.

“Who keeps the fanboys on their backs
    Who keeps the Knee-jerks under wraps…….WE DO! OR TRY TO!”

77. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Steve,

There is nothing definitive in ADWD my friend, you can guess, you can worry but keep in mind there are two books to go. Read it friend. It’s not my favorite of the series but there’s some great character development and some frustrating character development. Martin is still a good writer and there is one chapter in there that is an example of virtuoso writing. The story ain’t over yet….

78. Sid
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,
    Oh, so it is kind of a Borat-thing? Come across as so absurd that it is comical? Well, I guess I can appreciate that, although he is not nearly absurd enough for me to be considered as funny. Just semi-coherent. :) But I’ve seen humor-groups toying with the idea to write a humor-porn-magazine that is only published on a specific restaurants’ napkins (like a local pub), and they thought it would be funny. So, I shouldn’t be surprised.
    Well, if that is truly the case, then I retract my earlier judgement about his qualities as a journalist. But I still think the article sucks. :D

79. Epic Wunderscheisse
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Anyone can be Epic at any time. You have to purchase the tee-shirt first. The tee is a reminder of what not to say on these WiC boards. Once equipped, anyone can be epic so long as they are extremely attractive, physically.

80. Sid
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Epic Wunderscheisse,

Hmm, I wonder if Epic “Fail” is available? LOL.

Posted September 14, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Lord Two Feathers,

Great, sounds good. I will let you know in this thread. 10 am is not too early, and I tihnk it won’t clash with any part of the schedule. Coming back by 6 is perfect, what with the cultural night and the walking tour of Belfast. Staying on Waring Street at the Premier Inn, but Europa is close enough, no problem. Thank you very much!

82. The Rabbit
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Great!
    I ll join you on Friday, if I ll be free of tasks, but unfortunatelly it is impossible to know before Thursday evening.

83. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Sid,

Hey bro to each their own. :-)

84. Epic-itty
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I seem to remember an uncanny number of Joshes commentoring this web. Popular name or private club? Just joshin ya. ;)

This tee is way cooler http://www.zazzle.com/epic_colors_tshirt-235505275442998458

85. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

The Rabbit,

Ok guys, looking forward to meeting you both. 10am outside Europa. One potential spoiler just popped up today, got a txt from EX.NI this after noon regarding a casting for real archers ( which I am ) for filming over the next two weeks. They say to be available at short notice, so potentially could be working next Friday. I should know more before you guys leave home, so keep checking this thread.

86. Elena Amici
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

i bet somebody already linked this, but GoT got a win at the tubey awards on TwP.

ps: i NEED casting news!!

87. Blackfish Blues
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

88. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Epic-itty,

I was once Josh Atreides (I like Dune can you tell?) but now I am the humbler Joshua Taylor. But yes a legion of Joshes would be excellent.What say you Josh Parker et al?

Oh and “Joshing” is my line!

89. purplejilly
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Blackfish Blues: Lord Two Feathers as the Blackfish in the Hoster Tully funeral scene. You heard it here first.

wouldn’t that be terrific??

90. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Blackfish Blues,

purplejilly: wouldn’t that be terrific??

Holy crap guys I had forgot about that…Good call BB I hope you are right .That would be amazing.

91. Blackfish Blues
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Let’s start the campaign: Lord Two Feathers for the Blackfish in S2!

Posted September 14, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Wastrel,

Here’s the problem. I’ve never heard of Will Self until right now (and I don’t think I’m alone in that). Emilia Clarke, on the other hand, is a rising star.

I get the impression from the article, and from your posts, that this Will Self guy thinks he’s a celebrity of sorts (and that he apparently has some fans). That’s really funny to me since, as I said, I’ve never heard of this guy before. His approach to the article (i.e. “I’m a famous journalist and I’m bored by this actress”) was exactly the wrong way to go about it. I’m sure his fans and loyal readers enjoyed it, but I’m pretty sure that most of the traffic to that article will be GOT fans who are interested in what Emilia had to say.

93. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Blackfish Blues,

I like the way you think BB…………If you are right it`s a difficult shot to make, especially under pressure. I think I will be practicing every day now.

94. Epic the Balls
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Lex: Emilia Clarke, on the other hand, is a rising star.

lol.

But seriously, who knows, maybe she will keep some sort of cult following after GoT is done with her.

Lex: That’s really funny to me since, as I said, I’ve never heard of this guy before.

Yeah, I had to laugh at myself there too. I’m so out of the loop. We can’t all be like… well read and everything. Hey! I like my tv shows! That doesn’t make me less of a person. Why do we have to live in a world where some people are more successful, or smarter, or bigger than other people?

Lex: but I’m pretty sure that most of the traffic to that article will be GOT fans who are interested in what Emilia had to say.

Yeah, wow, crazy world with a bunch of ideas and things I don’t agree with. Makes me mad sometimes. I don’t know why we (the world) can’t streamline everything and all just agree that GoT is EFFIN AWESOME. What will it take, you know? Can’t someone email this so-called Will Self and let him know? He seems like he didn’t know.

But I’m lookin on the bright side. We’ll probably get a huge nerdgastic article in Rolling Stone Magazine in a few months which, though covering all the main actors, will almost guarantee EC in a racy $600 indie pop leotard with dragon scales covering her fanny. And I’m sure we’ll get a couple of bits on what she thinks about during her spare time. So fear not. We aren’t alone in this world and we have power to change it for the better.. We really do.

In fact the first change I’m going to make is stop reading New York Times. Because I don’t agree with their entertainment news. It doesn’t quite please me, does it? I mean why not? I have that choice. I don’t have to click everything all the time and get disappointed all the time with all this mean-spirited negativity from famous writers who aren’t at all interested. Anyway. Let’s keep moaning about this, I get this feeling something good will come from it. If nothing else, inner change. Yeah!

Posted September 14, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Epic the Balls,

FYI, I am a university graduate, I read newspapers and books every single day (mostly non-fiction history and science), and I don’t have cable or watch TV (aside from GOT and a few other HBO shows). And no, I’ve never heard of Will Self. Sorry, pal. That article was crap.

96. Epic the Balls
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Lex: And no, I’ve never heard of Will Self. Sorry, pal.

You really don’t have to apologize. I’ve never heard of him either. I don’t read entertainment news often, unless I’m at the dentist’s office. And I don’t think he gets published in People.

Posted September 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

It’s just that it sounds like you’re accusing anyone who thinks the article is crap of being a GOT fanboy. But sometimes a crap article is just a crap article.

98. Epic the Balls
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Lex,

I’m not sure what a GoT fanboy is (you make it sound like a negative thing). But I’m pretty sure anyone who has a problem with that article is either a typical fan of GoT or really really sensitive and with too much time in their hands.

99. Blackfish Blues
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Lord Two Feathers,
    you just have to look awesome, for the rest there’s CGI!

And thus it was that GOT won the Emmy for Best Visual Effects in 2012 thanks to Hoster Tully’s funeral.

100. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 12:39 am | Permalink

Lex,

I don’t think its a crap article, i think the article said out what it was supposed to do. It was pretentious, condescending, seemed like a Will Self article. It wasn’t written for GoT fans it was written for people who read his articles. I don’t like some authors or columnists based on their personality and agenda, but I can admit it was a well written article. If you disagree that it is not well written than that is your opinion but respect that other people find it has literary merit.

Boy this article is pushing buttons! Seems pretty successful in that regard. Sady Doyle would like it…though she’d’ probably eat Will Self alive.

101. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 1:05 am | Permalink

Lex,

Ignore my previous comment, there’s some glitch with editing the comments going on.

Anyhoo…..

I don’t think its a crap article, though i don’t like to make declarative statements like that. To me this article was:
    “I’m Will Self and i love and hate myself all at once and the entire world bores me and i dont want to interview this admittedly pretty attractive bird with ample bosom…yet she seems to be such a sweet girl…poor dear i feel sorry for her since all those fantasy wankboys will be mooning over her instead of reading good science fiction novels (that Drogo looks like Worf playing Fabio)I tried to write at one point before that blasted heroin muddled every thing up …oh sigh i am awesome and the big words will emphasise my greatness and my ennui…crazy fanboys you leave her alone now!

See that’s why I find this piece hilarious. He’s like some twit played by Hugh Grant, Colin Firth or to an extreme Russell Brand. I for one respect that people find this article offensive, so please respect that others (ie: Me, the Epics, Wastrel) find it has literary and journalistic merit. And I am willing to bet that Emilia Clarke agrees.

Posted September 15, 2011 at 3:25 am | Permalink

Hey LTF,

Could you send an e-mail through the WiC.net contact link? So I get your address; it will be easier to communicate speedily as needed that way :)

103. Sid
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 4:44 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Hehe, I do read high quality SF novels too… ;D

BTW, your clarification made a lot more sense than the original article. I’ll remember to ask you to interpret for me every time I have to speak to overeducated heroinists… :)

104. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Sid,

Cool. That Worf playing Fabio part was all mine. If you liked my interpretation more well then it can be truly said that its his pompous, OTT writing style pissing people more off than the mistreatment of Emilia Clarke. Maybe I should be the hedonistic writer and interview Emilia Clarke…”when you wish upon a star..”

Heeyyy it looks like Ms Van Houten is the favorite new cast member. Her tweets are pretty awesome though and she seems super cool and jazzed about the role.

NEW CASTING NEWS PLEASE! Even Scarjo’s nudey pictures aren’t killing this boredom…

105. HouseLark
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 10:53 am | Permalink

I don’t think Will Self was at all interested in the interview; it may have even been something he was cajoled into doing for a bit of cash.

But however much I dislike that interview, Will Self is still a great writer. Don’t be put off by his douchebaggery in that article. At least read the Quantity Theory of Insanity, or Great Apes if you’re feeling bit more adventurous. Quantity Theory… has a great premise.