Day 51: Filming during a hurricane
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming, Rumors, Speculation.

Ballintoy Set DamageToday is day 51 of the Game of Thrones season two shoot and assuming they end around the same time they did last year, they are just about a third of the way done.

Yesterday, the production had a bit of a scare, as the remnants of Hurrican Katia passed through Northern Ireland, bringing with it 70 mph winds. A catering marquee was blown over near Ballintoy and five people were injured, but thankfully none of the injuries were serious.

But what they were filming at the time? We believe it was scenes set in Renly’s camp. The Rabbit was able to dig up photos of the set and it is definitely some sort of camp scene and the tents don’t look like Lannister or Stark or Dothraki tents. And we know that Finn Jones (Loras), Gethin Anthony (Renly), and Gwendoline Christie (Brienne) are all in town. Also Finn mentioned in a recent interview, on the Beyond the Wall podcast, that they would be filming the melee this week. So it all seems to fit.

As to what else they have been filming recently: we speculated in our last filming update that they may be filming at the Cushendun Caves, and the Ballymoney Times now confirms it. We also know that they have been filming Harrenhal scenes at a newly-built castle set, near Banbridge. Supposedly Tom Wlaschiha has been spotted on set as Jaqen, sporting brownish hair with a blonde streak. Others seen on set include Gregor, the Tickler, Polliver, Wease, and Tywin.

Speaking of newly-built sets, another set has been constructed at Magheramorne quarry, the location of the Castle Black set. From the reports, it is a single castle wall with drum towers on either side and a small gate in the middle. Any guesses as to what it might be?

1. Josh Parker
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:03 am | Permalink

I knew they were gonna change Jaqen’s hair. Looks like I was right.

Oh, and even though I find this cheesy, I’ve never been able to do it before, so…

First!

2. Thiago Slash
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:04 am | Permalink

a pity they couldn’t use the hurricane to shoot Balon Greyjoy’s death! xD

3. Fabrizio
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Good to hear that the hurricane passed by with few problems for the production. I really can’t wait to see some footage from this Season 2, I’m very curious about Brienne.

Have a nice day!

4. The Rabbit
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Nothing new from Dubrovnik for now, except for the bad weather forecast for next Monday.
    After the very long sunny and unusually hot period in September here comes the rain!
    Hopefully, the set on Dubac would not be washed out.

5. Patius Prime
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:10 am | Permalink

The Quarry set might be for Tyrion’s sortee scene?

6. Chris77
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Guess I have to reread, but I don’t remember Tywin at Harrenhall…

7. Ahorwitt
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Chris77,

Tywin is there, but he never interacts with Arya and doesn’t even have any dialogue in the book, IIRC.

8. Dee
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Filming a certain scene involving a king and shadows during a hurricane would’ve been rad.

9. Ashley Turner
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:49 am | Permalink

So if Gregor has been spotted on set does that mean he hasn’t been re-cast?

10. Chris77
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Ashley Turner: So if Gregor has been spotted on set does that mean he hasn’t been re-cast?

Why do you think so, he did not say Conan was seen on set.

11. Ashley Turner
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Chris77,

No, but there wasn’t any confirmation that Gregor had been re-cast, just a rumour. So surely if Gregor had been spotted on set they’d be able to confirm if he had been re-cast?

Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Ashley Turner, it hasn’t been confirmed officially, by HBO or the production team. The only reason we know there may be a recast is strictly because Ian Whyte has been spotted on set playing the role of Gregor.

13. OhDanyBoy
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Ashley Turner,

Conan posted a comment on the other thread that basically confirmed he is gone. Winter is certainly referencing the new Gregor being seen on set.

14. Ashley Turner
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Ah, thanks for the response. Just thought the article was a little hazy as to that little details. :)

15. The Rabbit
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

My guess for the Maghermorne:

Winterfell gates during the Ser Rodrik siege and Reek s betrayal

Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Ashley Turner, no problem. :)

17. Alex Baxter
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Hi I just though I would mention that this camp is right next to the carrick-a-rede rope bridge. Maybe they are filming Pyke also.

Theres the rope bridge in the article from this site from July 21st

And just out of sight on the left of this picture (by the white cliffs at the top) is where the bridge is located

18. Assunta
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

I agree. First thing that came to mind.

19. Felagund
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

I do hope they are dothraki tents, as they’d look quite crude to be Renly’s extravagant pavilions…

20. KG
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

The green-and-gold trim on one of the tents pretty much solidifies Renly’s camp as the setting.

21. MAC
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

I like brown hair with a blonde streak for Jaqen. It seems like so far they have tried (in the case of Illyrio, for instance) and done a fairly good job of retaining something of the essence of the “foreign” style quirks without making them look as ridiculous as they probably would if they followed the descriptions in the book to the letter.

Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming:

Nooooooo!

Although I’m not surprised (I voiced concerns over whether Conan would be returning quite a while ago). I’m pretty disappointed. I loved Conan as Gregor, and Ian Whyte doesn’t look nearly as scary (although I’m sure he’ll do a fine job). I’m also even more disappointed now that they cut so much Gregor out of Season 1 (Battle of the Green Fork, etc.).

Can anyone quote Conan’s post that supposedly confirms him being out? The last comment I saw from him neither confirmed nor denied it.

23. Epic fail
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Lex: Can anyone quote Conan’s post that supposedly confirms him being out? T

::::YAWN:::::

24. Nimble Dick
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

I have a idea of what the camp might be

we know that they are filming alot of Robs exploits unlike in the books. this could be one of the camps while they attack the west maybe the goldmine at gold tooth?

25. OhDanyBoy
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Although he doesn’t outright say he left, his last paragraph states that he will not be posting here anymore because it is no longer relevant for him to do so, and the whole post is talking about GoT and its impact on his career in the past tense. About as much of a confirmation we will get until HBO officially confirms it.

26. Pod4king
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

The winds might actually work well for the shadow baby kills Renly scene, add a kind of creepiness to it

27. Josh Parker
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

Also a major speaking role in a smaller production is better than being labled as just another big brute who can’t be trusted to speak on camera – not saying this was the option in GOT vs Spartacus as Gregor has some interesting scenes later on that I would have liked to have done

Sounds to me like confirmation. He’s gone.

28. Epic Wunderscheisse
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

KG:

Yes. Nice job Rabbit! To think there are amazing photos out there like this, just waiting to be found by a curious rabbit….

29. Tickler's Gold
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Wease seen on set? Do we know the casting?

30. sjwenings
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

“the melee”. Oooh. I almost got goosebumps just reading that. Glad they kept it.

31. Julian Walker
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

WHERE THE FUCK IS JOJEN AND MEERA?!?!?

WHERE ARE MY PRECIOUS REED SIBILINGS?!?!

32. OnionNight
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

From what I can gather reading Conan’s post, it sounds like the producers weren’t comfortable with giving him speaking parts this season (perhaps I’m reading too much into it, but that seems to be what he is implying). I thought he did a good job in the 1st season, and really looked the part.

Don’t know how they’re going to pull off the switch without it being clearly noticeable. And it’s not as if Conan wasn’t noticeable. It would be one thing to switch on a character like Beric Dondarrion (since we only saw him briefly in a single scene last season), but Gregor had some pretty memorable scenes (like the horse decapitation, and the fight with Sandor) so even casual fans might notice. But then again, that’s show business for you. Actors have their own careers to think about, rather than worrying about the character continuity of a single TV show they appeared on. Good luck to him w/ The Hobbit & Spartacus (on a side note: it’s a shame Andy Whitfield passed away the other day. For some reason, I thought he had been improving. He was so young. So sad).

33. sjwenings
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

The beard will help.

34. Epic Wunderscheisse
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

OnionNight: it’s a shame Andy Whitfield passed away the other day

This is a sad thing. I fucking hate cancer.

35. Dorskey
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

I was down at the larrybane quarry today and the guys were taking the set apart. I was talking to a security guard and he told me that they were filming some sort of sword fight practice and also mentioned horses. I drove down into the set and there was only 1 tent left with barrels and waggons scattered around. Due to the weather though they only managed about 3 hours filming apparently and may have to return at a later date to complete the scenes or they simply cut

36. Kalasin
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

OnionNight: It would be one thing to switch on a character like Beric Dondarrion (since we only saw him briefly in a single scene last season),

I know people have said this before and he was cast, but I missed what part he was in. Can someone point me to the scene?

37. Sean Fan
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Thiago Slash: I’m glad no one was hurt, and I hope they can resume filming as soon as possible!

Five people were injured but thankfully, none seriously.

38. KG
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

OnionNight,

Doesn’t matter if people notice or not. It’s a TV show. People get re-cast.

39. Pepi
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Kalasin,

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLic6aAN2Qg
    That’s pretty much it.

40. Jonas
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

KG,

41. David The Grey
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Wow, those pictures of the Ballintoy sets have wonderful FX, nice cliffy backdrops and the ocean beyond is incredible. ;-) Love seeing tents and then just beyond, automobiles. Thanks for sharing the pictures, and that countryside is just amazing!

42. KG
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Jonas,

There will be nearly a year between the last viewing of the character – a character who was in a minimum of scenes. Not everyone watches the episodes over and over again in the interim.

And besides, don’t be such an elitist. Give the general audience credit for having at least having an I. Q. of 90.

43. Barry Montgomery
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

I was in Cushendun the day following filming (they had finished at 4am) and took some pics of the caves where the locals had confirmed the set to be. Sadly, no trace remained beyond a couple of cranes.

44. plop_
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Kalasin,

Episode 6 (33:30).

45. Epic Wunderscheisse
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

KG: Give the general audience credit for having at least having an I. Q. of 90.

No ways. Hype lowers mass IQ by 30%. Tweeter lowers it even more by 10%. General Audience? Pah.. art should cater to the educated so that the Average may bask in something greater than what they comprehend; it’s magical. Intelligence is only good at the micro level anyway.

46. Ryan E
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Jonas: KG, Still, it’s annoying because most people will look at the replacement as a different character.

I think most people (other than us rabid fans) won’t even notice the difference.

47. Epic Wunderscheisse
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Jonas: Still, it’s annoying because most people will look at the replacement as a different character.

I doubt anyone will remember a thing about the original because it was such a tiny scene with a tiny background among three other plot threads. Even Sandor is tiny, and he gets about 1000% more screen time.

Posted September 13, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Epic fail: ::::YAWN:::::

Wow, thanks for the super helpful post.

Anyways, somehow I missed that entire post/thread about Amory Lorch and Gregor. My bad.

49. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

to be honest i was hoping Jaqens hair would be more normalish. really, don’t you think it would look cartoonish with that hair the book describes? ugh. I’m all for sticking to source material, but not in this case.

50. koinosuke
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

KG:
    OnionNight,

Doesn’t matter if people notice or not. It’s a TV show. People get re-cast.

Any chance you could point out to me any major TV shows of recent years that had major re-castings?

51. KG
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

John-Michael Lelievre,

Yeah his hair always bugged me too – like he was some reject from Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors.

52. KG
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

koinosuke,

Not counting soap operas? A ten-second Google search (you should try it some time, it’s handy)

The daughter Becky on Roseanne
    Aunt Vivian, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
    Marta on Arrested Development
    Laurie on That 70s Show
    Kenny on The Starter Wife
    Naomi on Private Practice
    Miss Ellie on Dallas
    Cagney, Cagney and Lacey

53. Pepi
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

koinosuke,

I wouldn’t consider recasting Gregor Clegane a major recast. Especially not after first season, where we saw him for like… 5 minutes? It’s still a good time to get more dedicated for certain roles. It would be much worse if they recast Gregor after second season.

54. koinosuke
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

KG,

Notice how I said recent years in my post? I don’t think sitcoms from the 80s and 90s (which is the majority of what you posted) are held to the same standard as modern-day HBO. And even then, sure, the mom in Fresh-Prince was recast three times…but that basically made her character a joke for a lot of people.
    Anyway, Gregor being re-cast isn’t the end of the world, but it does certainly suck.

55. Coltaine777
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Conan seemed like a good dude …but its no big deal that he has left the show…any big guy will do…

56. Langkard
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Many possibilities for the Magheramorne quarry set: the scene outside Storm’s End with Cortney Penrose, Tyrion’s sortie (as someone else already mentioned) or possibly the confrontation with Amory Lorch or a scene on Pyke.

57. Gaz
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

58. The Rabbit
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Gaz,

Hmmm..this is indeed an interesting info!

59. Josh Parker
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Gaz,

All the better to give Tywin more scenes. But I think she’ll still have scenes with Roose. Otherwise, why cast him?

60. Josh Parker
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

koinosuke,

Jolean Wejbe was replaced in season 4 of Big Love by Bella Thorne. And unlike Conan, who appeared for one season in two episodes, Ms. Wejbe appeared in 27 episodes over three seasons.

61. dizzy_34
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Gaz,

Hmmm, that makes me wonder if we’ll even see Bolton in charge at Harrenhal. Being the cupbearer to Tywin kind of speeds her story up a bit.

62. Johan Sporre
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

koinosuke,

Octavian was re-cast in Rome.

63. Jim Cross
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

when will we know about Jojen and Meera, maybe I’m a nut, but actually losing sleep over this…..

Maybe I need to see my therapist…

64. Josh Parker
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Jim Cross,

What about ‘em?

65. Gaz
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Guys i dont want to say anything is certain or not, Im just passing on the flutters of little birds – but i have a friend on set (who is a fan of the books and so knows what is what) and this is what he says is going down.Roose is seen about set though, with Arya kicking around but Tywin does indeed take her in tow (first? only? this i do not know). Also, he also notes that the new Lannister character, i can not remeber his name now, is likely to be a bastard of Tywins

hope this has not lead to greater confusion lol!

66. Josh Parker
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Gaz,

Then he should be Alton Hill, not Alton Lannister.

67. dizzy_34
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

yeah, I’m not sure that info is correct. Giving Tywin a bastard would certainly change things up.

Posted September 13, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Regarding re-castings, they will happen. I’d guess an average of 1 or 2 re-castings each season, if this show goes the distance. All we can do is hope they’re not our favourites.

69. Gaz
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

Correct Josh, correct!! i never thought on this! Just what i heard but you have seen that its false! Sorry!

70. Thiago Slash
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Sean Fan: Five people were injured but thankfully, none seriously.

whoa, shame on me. I didn’t read carefully this post because I’d already seen the news somewhere else. #fail
    well, I hope they get better soon, then!

Dee:

That would be pretty good too!

Also, what Josh Parker said, concerning Tywin having a bastard, is pretty much accurate. This would be a major change. I think your friend must’ve misheard something, Gaz.
    But it’s still cool to have some CI inside the set!

71. Tessa Leonie
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

In a cast this large, if we go the distance, recasting is going to happen. However it does give us ever more to discuss (and bitch and moan) about, which I believe is greatly enhancing this whole experience.

72. KG
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

… because the modern method of dropping a helicopter on the unwanted actor is much less insulting to our collective intelligence? You make me chuckle!

Just give up – only the sad Rain Man uberfans are going to care about the recasting of a guy who had one closeup, one line, and one not-great fight scene.

73. House Umber
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Gaz,

Jeez… you try to keep a few secrets or surprises for folk and somebody else goes and spills the beans! ;-)
    Regarding Harrenhal last week, some of what Gaz has said is true… To avoid any confusion, here’s the jist of it…
    Arya’s little band has been captured and held as prisoners in Harrenhal with approx 15 other prisoners. Polliver is there as basically the gaoler, Gregor runs the operation as per book and does the selecting of who is up for questioning… Tickler asks the questions and I believe Weese does the torturing.
    Tywin rides in and doesn’t like what he sees going on, he discovers that what they all think to be a boy is actually a girl (Arya), demands the prisoners be put to work and to bring the girl to him as he needs a new cup-bearer.
    This basically gives Arya the freedom to have her encounters with Jaqhen, some of which was also shot I think.
    I’m fairly certain that no bastard of Tywin or the new character of Alton featured in any of the Harrenhal scenes last week.
    Similarly, Roose Bolton was also not seen in Harrenhal during any of the above.
    The Mountain is bearded very similar to Conan in S1 and wears the same armour with some variations. His face will be visible however and he does speak some short lines.

All scenes I believe were in relation to before Tywin leaves Harrenhal under the custodianship of Lorch, so Roose would have little business being there at that stage.
    I would still expect Roose’s involvement at Harrenhal based off the fact that the set is supposed to be very impressive (hand built castle) and would therefore be heavily utilised for alot more scenes.

74. Ralph
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

koinosuke,

One of the wives on the Tudors was recast between seasons.

75. GaR
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Scroll down, y’all; we finally got a new poll question.

::edit::

No NewGregor on the poll :<

76. Hexonx
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 12:34 am | Permalink

Octavian I believe was b/c his character was a few years older in the next season, IIRC. Spartacus has been recast for unfortunate reasons (RIP Andy). The loss of Conan sucks but you can’t blame a guy for doing what is best for his career, at least in his eyes. I agree that it is not a major loss, more like a minor nuisance. Anyway, its not like Jon Snow got recast.

77. Vered
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 2:47 am | Permalink

Hey all!
    Thanks for the news!
    I get the feeling that it will be the Renly and the shaddow scene.
    But then… those tents really don’t look like they would be Renly’s… I just get the feeling… with the winds and all it’ll definitely be fitting…

Gaz: I have more potential info on what is happen ref. Tywin at Harrenhal. For those that dont want a potential spoiler dont read on but it is that Arya is playing Tywins cup bearer rather than to Roose.

Wow…. And I didn’t read about a new Lanister… Probebly missed it… a lot of news the last caple of days! And I just love it!
    If Arya’s Tywin’s cup bearrer that will be just mind blowing! I mean they’re looking for her and she’s right there! LOL Cool! I just have to wonder how that one’ll happen….
    And they’ll need to put Roose out there, he’s a Stark banner man (at least in the beginning) and he’s becoming a bigger character later-on. Let’s just hope that’s not a re-cast waiting to happen.

78. Pepi
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 3:01 am | Permalink

I have a theory, why Renly’s tents could be brown. Ser Cortnay Penrose is the castellan of Storm’s End, where they probably kept all the tents. The ting is, the tents were old, and in a desperate need of repainting. So Cortnay Penrose took the liberty of using his house’s colors. :D

79. koinosuke
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 3:17 am | Permalink

House Umber,

Holy crap, that would be a bit of a change. Still, I kind of see how it would be good for giving Tywin more screentime, and adding tense interactions between two major characters that wasn’t really present in the book.

Posted September 14, 2011 at 4:46 am | Permalink

81. Silverjaime
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 5:04 am | Permalink

House Umber,

The Harrenhal set at Banbridge seems to be the one I saw them building a while ago – huge set with massive arched doorway etc. Very impressive!

82. House Umber
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 5:30 am | Permalink

Silverjaime,

The view outside is nothing compared to the scene through that arched doorway (though doorway does not do it justice, its a castle gate if ever there was a castle gate), first glimpse through the gates is a proper wow moment.

Or at least, so I’m told…

83. alex
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 8:09 am | Permalink

the two seasons in Rome where separated by quite a bit in terms of historical events (even though enets where jumbled up a bit in the show). Octavian had to be recast because he was indeed a young adult (not a adolescent like the 1st actor) by the time he went on the military campaigns.
    Comparing that re-casting to Gregor’s re-casting just doesn’t work. Apples and oranges.

84. Winterdark
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar: I love the potential of this new confrontation, thank you for the spy report :) Tywin and Arya, wow. It will probably also help to streamline the Harrenhal goings-on. I have a feeling that the Goat, Vargo Hoat, is going to be cut or postponed for now.

I’m starting to become a bit confused here.

They’re shooting the Arya scenes from ACoK at Harrenhal but they’re also putting the Jaime scenes from ASoS in season 2 which also occur at Harranhal but long after Arya has left. So unless they’ll secretly make season 2 16 episodes rather than 10 I see some major timeline problems here. Hopefully I’m wrong as I was with Robb.

Posted September 14, 2011 at 8:33 am | Permalink

A little bird has whispered to me that the “Alton Lannister is Tywin’s bastard” rumor is 100% false.

86. Silverjaime
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 8:38 am | Permalink

House Umber,

Brilliant! yes the “doorway” was easily 15 -20 feet high, though it was covered with scaffolding when I saw it last.

Posted September 14, 2011 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Winterdark,

Well, it depends on how much of Jaime’s story line from book three they want to put into this season. They can (will, probably) show events that were only described already in the second book, and then find a good ending to his arch (people have suggested one memorable one already) before any timeline problems you mention occur. Unless I am missing a thing or two, which is quite likely :)

88. OhDanyBoy
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 8:53 am | Permalink

Winterdark,

89. Pod4King
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 9:48 am | Permalink

I have a theory as to who Alton might be. Personally, I wonder if he’s a stand in for BOTH Tyrek and Cleos Frey.

At the beginning of Clash Robb sends Cleos to KL. If he’s sending Alton in his place, then Alton could simply stay in KL and disappear during the bread riot. Jaime could just take a sword off any old corpse to fight Brienne (of which the war would provide plenty). Doesn’t necessarily have to be Cleos’s body.

Does anyone know anything to confirm or deny my assumption?

90. Winterdark
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 9:48 am | Permalink

91. Kalasin
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 9:48 am | Permalink

plop_,
    Pepi,

Thanks.

92. Lord Two Feathers
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 9:54 am | Permalink

The Rabbit,

Hear Me Roar,

Check back to the “Quick Hits” thread.

93. Dennai
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Any news of more Tywin/Dance is good news. I think he didn’t even had any dialogue in ACOK, so I’m really happy they gave him more scenes.

94. Winterdark
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 10:07 am | Permalink

OhDanyBoy: Winterdark, The Jaime scenes to be brought forward are likely his travels with Brienne towards Harrenhal, probably ending before they actually arrive there (I believe the theory is that the season may end with some hand-choppy-choppy). So his story would not overlap with Arya’s Harrenhal timeline in the least.

The Travels with Brienne? The only thing I remember of that is the brilliant rocks and boulders scene but that’s good for like one episode. They’ll have to come up with a lot more if they want to fill a whole season with Jaime scenes, which I hope they won’t because it’ll got at the cost of more important scenes. I guess the whole hand choppy choppy at the end make sense but then they’d have to end the Arya arc by episode 8 otherwise there’s not enough time for the events that occur in between the two arcs.

95. Winterdark
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Huh, this is weird. I wanted request my “edit” post for deletion. But now I find out I don’t have that button anymore. In fact I can’t edit any of my posts anymore except my latest one. Also as I’m typing this I see I don’t have the toolbar with which I can preview my post, use spoilers, quotes, links and so on. The problem only occurs in this thread. All the others seem fine. Do you know guys know what I did wrong or what I should do about it?

96. OhDanyBoy
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Winterdark,

The release by Catelyn likely won’t occur until ep 6 or 7 even with things moved up, due to the other timelines of the story in Riverrun. So they would need about 3 or 4 episodes of Jaime story. The boat-rock situation could basically be one, another could be the adventure at the riverside inn, then there’s Jaime and Brienne’s duel before we finally get to choppy choppy.

97. Josh Parker
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Winterdark,

Posted September 14, 2011 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Winterdark:

You can only edit your latest post and even then only for 10 minutes.

The disappearing comment editing bar is a bug that crops up from time to time that I haven’t been able to squash. It generally will re-appear after a refresh.

99. Winterdark
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Josh Parker: Winterdark, A quick review of Jaime’s first two chapters tells me there’s enough there for at least two eps, possibly three. Combine that with his arrival at Riverrun, his initial escape attempt, his being moved to the dungeon and Catelyn helping him escape and you’ve got enough material that he could be featured in at least six episodes. And that’s with minimal stretching. I predict he’ll be in 7 episodes overall.

Thanks, I have to admit to my utmost shame that I do not actually own the books so I have to draw from my memory. I guess I’d better buy them or at least rent them again so I won’t make any more of these false assumptions.

100. Winterdark
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Hey, yeah you’re right. Thanks. It’s still very annoying but nothing to worry about at least. Also could you delete my “edit” post. It’s kinda weird and redundant.

101. Pod4King
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

I wonder if Rorge will replace Vargo Hoat’s role. Much as I loved Hoat, he can easily be cut.

If that’s the case, I hope they make room for Shagwell somehow.

102. Dorskey
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

“It is not yet known what impact the incident will have on the filming, which is scheduled to last for another five weeks.”

Quote from a local paper in relation to the filming at the site. Might mean that they will relay the quarry for another scene? Although as from what I heard, the convoy of vehicles would be leaving the site today once the winds had died down… might just mean that filming in Northern Ireland for another five weeks i guess!

103. julandro
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

What to say about Lisa Nolan? has abandoned the series. They say they had a scene with a king What king?

104. Dorskey
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

“After the incident around 200 extras dressed in full costume were taken by bus to the near-by Sheep-Island View Hostel, owned by the McShane family, for shelter.”

Gives an idea of the number of extras for the scenes…

105. Lili
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

sjwenings: OnionNight: Don’t know how they’re going to pull off the switch without it being clearly noticeable.
    The beard will help.

What they ought to do is NOT have the beard. Then they can have someone comment on how different he looks without the beard. Since Ian Whyte is a couple years younger than Rory McCann, they could even say that without the beard, Gregor now looks like the younger brother. In other words, make it a bit. Tyrion and Dolorous Edd shouldn’t have to carry ALL the humor.

106. sjwenings
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Lili: What they ought to do is NOT have the beard.

Hmm, yeah. I suppose that might work just as well.

Posted September 14, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Lili, I think they’re probably better off trying to match looks as best they can, than to draw attention to it. Most people likely won’t even notice the switch.

108. Sean Fan
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Just a liitle bit more info. on the tent blowing down incident that I found online……

(the stage collapse incident was referring to what happened last month at the Indiana state fair here in the U.S.).

109. Langkard
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Why not just reshoot the couple of scenes in which we see Gregor fully? Erase Conan Stevens completely from the series and be done with it.

Reshooting a few moments showing Gregor before the joust begins shouldn’t be too difficult. A bit harder to reshoot the killing of the horse, but it can be done.

It would also give them the opportunity to reshoot the Gregor/Sandor fight and do it properly this time – full out, deadly earnest fight. They’d only need Sandor, Gregor and Loras for that bit. The shot from behind looking up at the spectators and the king need not be reshot at all, since we didn’t see Gregor from the front.

110. Langkard
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Pod4King:

If that’s the case, I hope they make room for Shagwell somehow.

Nooo! No cutting Vargo Hoat!

Mackenzie Crook for Vargo Hoat!

Jaime: “I just wanted to hear him say Sapphireth.”

111. Gaz
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

House Umber,

I did spoiler tag lol, at least you can clarify what I only heard through rumour! Plus this is the gossip us House Gate-watch patrons live for!

Quick question to you, and any other board members from Northern Ireland – i have heard tell of some form of Thrones related gathering of some kind this month, is this true and anyone attending?!?

112. Johan Sporre
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Gaz,

There are lots of people attending, among others the three guys who run this site :)

It’s a convention of science-fiction, fantasy and board games called TitanCon. On Saturday the 24th of September there’ll be panels and guest speakers at the Europa Hotel in Belfast. On Saturday night there’ll be a moot, with guests and a raffle I think. On Sunday there’ll be a bus tour of several locations where Game of Thrones was shot for season 1. The bus tour is sold out but I think there are tickets left for the Saturday stuff.

Take a look at this thread at westeros.org for more information. http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/48118-titancon-belfast-sat-24-sept-2011/

113. Gaz
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Johan Sporre,

Cheers Johan bud! This sounds good! Gonna get myself some tickets now.

114. Winterdark
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

OhDanyBoy:
    Winterdark,

The release by Catelyn likely won’t occur until ep 6 or 7 even with things moved up, due to the other timelines of the story in Riverrun.So they would need about 3 or 4 episodes of Jaime story.The boat-rock situation could basically be one, another could be the adventure at the riverside inn, then there’s Jaime and Brienne’s duel before we finally get to choppy choppy.

Hey that’s a great solution. Sorry I didn’t reply earlier. I must have missed your post. Thanks, hope this is what David and Dan go for.

115. House Umber
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Gaz,

Johan Sporre,

What Johan said… will be going myself on Fri & Sat but having to give Sun a miss unfortunately. It sounds like there will be lots going to it… we had about 70 at last years Moot which was much more low key, so I’m scared at how many will be coming in for the much more publicised and wider Sci-Fi appealing TitanCon!

Fri, 5:30 in Europa/Robinson’s for start of pub crawl, I’d say look for the guy with the beard, but I’ve a feeling there will be a few of those :)

116. Gaz
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

House Umber,

Ha! True true, me and my mate just got our tickets there so Robinsons it is for a few bevs. Wel be the ones looking around looking for other people looking around for other people if ya get me.

117. Pod4King
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Langkard,

Still agreed. I’d hate for them to cut him. Still, if they do, Rorge would prolly be his stand in. Tho were in sam hill the mercenaries come from would be beyond me.

I hope D&D learn from season 1 fan complaints not to get to touchy with story changes.

118. MAC
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Langkard,

Careful now. Once you get into George Lucas territory it’s hard to stop. First it’ll be erasing Conan and fixing the stable boy scene, then it’ll be “Will swings at Ned first.”

119. Langkard
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

MAC:
    Langkard,

120. Phoenix_Torn
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Langkard: Hmmm… good point. They could always supplement their revenue stream by having the new Gregor do ads for Weight Watchers and show before and after pictures for effect.

…or “Wight Watchers”… sorry…I couldn’t help it…

121. Sarah
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 2:49 am | Permalink

Julian Walker,

I am guessing if they have not been cast as of yet then they won’t be filming those scene until they have them. This is only a feeling so I can’t really comment, but I hope and pray that the remain an integral part of Bran’s arc and put them in the show.

122. Christyboyrebel
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 5:43 am | Permalink

123. Aldaris
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 7:33 am | Permalink

Christyboyrebel:

I’m at work so I can’t watch it, but: so?

It’s not like I’m going to be spending time with him, so I don’t really care about his personality too much. As long as he does a good job playing Gregor I’m content.

I do agree with the “miss Conan” sentiment though.

124. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 7:43 am | Permalink

Christyboyrebel,

I don’t know what you mean. o.o I thought he was super-nice. The interview was a bit awkward, that’s all.

125. Christyboyrebel
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Steve Hugh Westenra,

Steve Hugh Westenra

Just a personal opinion though, a gut feeling, no offence meant.

126. OhDanyBoy
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Christyboyrebel,

Conan is the one who decided that GoT was just a way to jump to bigger and better things. If I were you I wouldn’t miss him too much. Posting on WiCnet helps, leaving the production doesn’t.

127. dizzy_34
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Christyboyrebel,

Thanks for posting that. I don’t think he came off all that bad. Those interviewers were doing a pretty good job of making it nice and awkward.

128. Bro
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Christyboyrebel,

Exactly how does the guy come across as a douchebag? It’s the girls who need to work on their interview skills.
    Conan was an awesome Gregor but he’s leaving so that’s that. Ian Whyte will have enough of a hard time fitting into Conan’s size whatevers without fans getting hysterical over the change.

129. Chris
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Bro,

I agree. He didn’t seem douchey at all to me. It just wasn’t a very good interview all around.

130. Christyboyrebel
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Watched that video again, and yeah, ok, Mr Whyte seems alright. But I do still think he’s a bit awkward and I think the fact he didn’t know what kind of AvP game they meant slightly rankled me originally, and I immediately leapt on here and posted, not the wisest thing to do perhaps.

It was a totally personal reaction to the guy and isn’t really relevant on this site at all as it has no bearing on the show whatsoever. I meant no offence.

And at the end of the day, he’s probably gonna be awesome as Gregor and make this amazing show even more amazing.

Peace.

Edited to add: I agree that those two interviewers were pretty much to blame for the stiltedness of that particular interview.

131. Winterdark
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Actually I’m having a little trouble picturing Whyte as Gregor because he was so nice in that interview. Though I’m sure he’ll be an awesome viscious cruel brute.

Posted September 15, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Winterdark:

Exactly, he seems very nice… which is the main problem! Conan was also nice, but he LOOKED mean. Ian Whyte doesn’t LOOK mean to me…

However, the shaved head is definitely more menacing than other photos I’ve seen where Whyte has more hair. Hopefully they give him similar hair/beard to what Conan had in Season 1, and ask him to scowl and frown a lot. And to speak in a gruff, lower voice that’s a little less posh.

133. Langkard
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Phoenix_Torn: …or “Wight Watchers”… sorry…I couldn’t help it…

Best pun of the day!

134. House Umber
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Lex,

“Hopefully they give him similar hair/beard to what Conan had in Season 1, and ask him to scowl and frown a lot. And to speak in a gruff, lower voice that’s a little less posh”

This is HBO, attention to detail is second-to-none… all you’ve suggested, done.

135. Sid
    Posted September 16, 2011 at 3:04 am | Permalink
  136. Lili
    Posted September 16, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Christyboyrebel,

Christyboyrebel: Ian Whyte comes across as a double dip douchebag in this interview. I miss Conan.

Huh? Maybe we’re watching different videos or something, because he seemed pretty nice to me. And I like his voice.

137. Lili
    Posted September 16, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Christyboyrebel: Yeah, it may have just been awkwardness in fairness to the guy. And I reckon he’ll make a fine Gregor but I think I just liked how Conan was involved with comments here and his blogs etc. and this guy just feels like a bit of a drip.

And just becuase he hasn’t been here yet doesn’t mean anything. Maybe he hasn’t had much time. Although he did respond to my two-days-early happy birthday email…

138. Epic knows nothing
    Posted September 16, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Lex,

I dont know why but in the books i always pictured the mountain with a helmet on, where you could never see his face. Maybe it has something to do with how he doesn’t have any dialog in the books (you get a recount of the dialog from a character occasionally, but never in the action). Being always masked is a frightening thing, and not talking. It takes human elements away from the person. There’s no reasoning, no communication, no emotion.

So I was thinking that since this Whyte guy is usually in a mask, that’s what it will be like in season 2. It sort of makes sense. Whyte isn’t an actor really, so it’s not like he’s being hired for delivering shakespeare.

139. Darryl Collins
    Posted September 23, 2011 at 7:59 am | Permalink

I was near Ballintoy recently in Northern Ireland and took some photographs – you can see them here. https://plus.google.com/114778355221904601456/posts/XW3FKK41KGK (I was there on 9/11, my birthday, the day before the hurricane hit the cast and crew tent).

1. [...] Menschen leicht verletzt wurden. Doch ersten Angaben zufolge geht es den Verletzten wieder besser. Winter-is-coming stellt die interessante Behauptung auf, dass es sich bei den Setaufbauten um Renlys Feldlager [...]

2. [...] the bay is the small stone quarry where they shot the Renly camp scenes, and we saw the site where the ill-fated marquee stood. All tidied up now, of course, but the sand of the melee square was still on the ground, as [...]

3. [...] boredom from waiting, and extreme weather conditions often need to be braved. We had a survivor of the hurricane wind disaster in the audience (photo to the left), who escaped unscathed. Do you want an anecdote from the S2 [...]