Peter Dinklage wins the Emmy!
By Winter Is Coming on in Awards, Press.

Peter Dinklage EmmyPeter Dinklage has scored an Emmy award for Game of Thrones by winning the Best Supporting Actor in a Drama category! Thrones was shut out in their other three categories tonight, but those were all long-shots anyway. Dinklage was our best hope and he pulled it off!

In his acceptance speech, he thanked David Benioff and D.B. Weiss for offering him the role. And thanked HBO for “letting artists create.” He also thanked his dog sitter. It was a good speech, nice and short. Dinklage seemed pretty surprised that he won. Backstage, he gave an even shorter speech on the “thank you cam.” He had a few other things to say to the press as well.

Winter Is Coming: Tyrion for the win!!! Crazy to think that years and years ago, back when this show was just some words on Benioff and Weiss’ hard drives, people were talking about Dinklage getting cast as Tyrion in what could be an Emmy winning performance. And now it has happened. Congrats to Peter! And to all the rest of the cast and crew for making this Emmy award-winning show!

1. henry
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

lol he didn’t mention gurm

2. Damian Aquino
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

winter just came

3. The DarkStar
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

If he won this year, next year should be a lock.
    Put it on the board!

4. GaR
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

This is good news.

Peter Dinklage is the best one.

5. Annathema Backstrom
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! Congratulations Peter <3

Posted September 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

SO AWESOME! I was pretty sure GOT would be snubbed all night, but we came through! I agree with WiC about how surreal this is; it was almost like a self-fulfilling prophecy, the way everyone talked about how Pete would be perfect for the role and could get an Emmy.

So happy for Peter and for the whole GOT show. This win should raise the show’s profile so that even the last few ignorant ones are aware of it! Yay for extra credibility!

Too bad Pete forgot to mention GRRM in the speech. I bet GRRM was a tiny bit hurt (how could he not be?), but I’m also sure he’s thrilled about the win.

Man… this makes me want to re-watch the show (I haven’t watched an episode in about two months).

7. Josh Parker
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:00 am | Permalink

Congrats, Dink!

8. Charles
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:00 am | Permalink

well, next year he might not be up as sup. actor, but as lead, no??

9. whitemage
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:03 am | Permalink

henry,

that’s what i was thinking the whole time – mention george!

10. andrea
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:06 am | Permalink

“Hey! This is really heavy… is lovely, thank you”
    I love this man. So sweet.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:07 am | Permalink

Hahaha, his backstage “speech” is classic Dinklage. Less than 5 seconds long, when other people just go “blah blah blah…”.

12. The Rabbit
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:09 am | Permalink

..maybe he just forgot, he looked absolutely suprised when they called out his name.

Anyway, I am absolutely happy about this one – I was pretty sure GOT would win zero Emmy.

13. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:10 am | Permalink

Woot, very deserving!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:12 am | Permalink

The Rabbit:
    ..maybe he just forgot

I’m sure that’s what happened. He forgot about GRRM because he was so surprised (and awed to be following Martin Scorcese). Definitely not intentional.

Pete’s seems pretty uncomfortable in the spotlight (interviews, speeches, etc.), but he’d better get used to it! :)

15. stile
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:19 am | Permalink

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal that he didn’t mention GRRM in the speech…if he had prepared something ahead of time, he might have included it, but I don’t think he expected the win so he had to improvise. And honestly, the actors work much more closely with directors and writers and producers than they do with the novelists that are being adapted.

I’m sure he’ll be sure to thank George next year, when he wins the Emmy for best actor!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:24 am | Permalink

It’s still a bit surreal. I thought maybe he’d win next year, for Tyrion’s role in Season 2, but this is awesome!

17. Kevin Andrew Murphy
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:29 am | Permalink

stile,

George is also one of the executive producers for the show as well as one of the show’s writers. He scripted Episode 8, “The Pointy End.”

He’s also the man who ultimately controls whether Tyrion lives or dies….

18. Nigel Bradley
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:31 am | Permalink

Nice to see that the Emmy’s are taking the show seriously.

19. Icebird
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:47 am | Permalink

This is awesome news! Tyrion is my all time favorite character and Peter Dinklage played him perfectly. And A Clash of Kings has some of Tyrion’s best moments in the series, should be a great Season 2 for Tyrion fans!

Congratulations to Peter Dinklage!

Now someone needs to find out if he holds the record for shortest (adult) Emmy winner.

20. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:48 am | Permalink

Colour me shocked. I was caught tonight between wanting Dinklage to win and wanting John Slattery to finally get an award (as well as Jon Hamm, Elisabeth Moss and Christina Hendricks) but as soon as Dinklage got called up there I had shortlived epiphany that GoT would nab best drama as well. But that evaporated very quickly. Once again Mad Men takes best drama. Mad Men is up there in quality with The Wire in my eyes, so its win was well deserved especially after this particular season.

Face it, GoT was not perfect (it was really, really good but it felt like they were trying different things in the first season and didn’t get its gears going until mid season). It needs to find its groove, a certain confidence that needs to permeate all aspects of the production. Hopefully the trial period is over, and this upcoming season the series will thrum with energy like any other series before it.

I will say this, be prepared for some divergence from the novels, books do not translate to screen verbatim because there are two distinct mediums involved. Changes like this need to be done so that a series will have that certain ‘flow’.

All in all: Congratulations to Peter Dinklage on well-deserved win.

21. Jackie Williams
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:58 am | Permalink

Great win. Did he call Walton Goggins, Walter?

Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:59 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I actually wonder if Season 1 will be the best season of GOT. It’s probably the easiest of the books to adapt…

23. Susan C
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:59 am | Permalink

We’re so proud of our Little Lion Man! We love you Peter! Well done! Rightly deserved!

24. Grinbomb
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:06 am | Permalink

Congratulations Dinklage, well deserved. He’s got a damn good chance of winning next year too I bet. It was nice to see him get nominated, let alone win.

Glad that GoT didn’t get skunked at the Emmys, bodes well for other awards in the future like maybe best drama. Its also good for advertising and the possibility of green lighting future seasons, places like HBO and AMC seems to put almost as much weight into awards as they do ratings.

25. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:08 am | Permalink

Lex

If were speaking in strict adherence to the novel then probably. As a television series on it’s own? I certainly hope not.

I would love to have a well executed Wire-esque, A Song of Ice and Fire television series that is incredibly loyal to the novels. But that is impossible. Sorry if anyone disagrees with me, but the best adaptations in my opinion are the ones that capture the essence of the story more than the ones that capture every word verbatim. I see the books and the series as two distinct entities.

Will I pump my fist when my favorite moments from the novels are brought to life? Hellz yeah! Will I grind my teeth like Stannis when they diverge slightly from the plot and alter some characters for the sake of dramatic expedience necessary for the momentum of a television drama? Even when it’s deftly executed by cast and crew?

Hellz no!

26. DH87
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:14 am | Permalink

Very good showing and, of course, a great achievement for PD. The Emmys make the Druids look like a vibrant, open society. This win in one of the very important, if not major, categories signals “We’re watching you and we like what we see so far” to the show. Like the Golden Globe voters, the Emmy voters seldom see an “English”-oriented production they don’t like, but they seldom see a horror/fantasy-genre show they do like, so that evens things up. Given the number of shows that are shut out every year, and this year’s odd and sudden attachment to the cancelled “Friday Night Lights,” we should be very happy.

27. rognarr
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:14 am | Permalink

wooooow! grats to Peter and grats to us

28. champ
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:14 am | Permalink

stile:

No way in hell will they submit him for Best Actor next year, because that means he’d be up against Bryan Cranston.

DH87:

FNL wasn’t canceled, it just ended. Great show though, and very deserving of the recognition.

29. sjwenings
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:18 am | Permalink

I suppose this means he’s guaranteed the win for season 2 and 3, then. I don’t really see any way around it now…

I pumped my fist in the air when I saw the headline! So awesome! Good speech too.

30. Jambo
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:32 am | Permalink

Damian Aquino:
    winter just came

Twice.

In my pants.

(to quote one of the twitter posts from early in the season. that one stuck out)

31. Emma
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:36 am | Permalink

YEAH PETER!

32. Jambo
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:39 am | Permalink

Also, his brief thank you after leaving the stage (I guess, not sure exactly where/when):

33. Vered
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:48 am | Permalink

Way to go Peter! Congratulations!

I think he did an amzing job! And it was a sure thing in my book! ;-)

34. andrea
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:51 am | Permalink

Jambo,

the thank you cam: “Hi! This is really heavy… is lovely, thank you”.
    I watched that clip a thousand times already.
    He´s lovely.

35. Obsidian
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:52 am | Permalink

Swe-e-e-et.

36. morbiczer
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:55 am | Permalink

Congratulations.

Season 2 Tyrion should be even better given all the great scenes and storylines he will have.

37. jojo
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:01 am | Permalink

He did acknowledge GRRM’s great writing later on, in the linked article. So fanboys should stop whining, jesus H christ.

If he hadn’t thanked him what’s the big deal anyway? It’s not like Peter went on and on listing everyone and their mom and left out GRRM. Dude thanked like 4 people total.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:01 am | Permalink

Peter Dinklage! Woot woot! :D (I’ll save coherence for later). Good morning!

39. Hilda
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:04 am | Permalink

SO thrilled for Peter!! How awesome! Honestly,I didn’t think he would win it just because well it is the Emmy’s! It is all about who you know and what you have done…politics and money. It seems to be less on talent now. He is a great actor,he has done some great stuff and just that GoT is lucky to have him as Tyrion is cake!

Sadly, the creative team did not win and they should have! Hopefully now this will get GoT noticed even more now!

Was anymore of the cast there??

40. GrzebykK
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:14 am | Permalink

Congratulations Peter!
    I am twice that happy, I could see it live.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:28 am | Permalink

jojo:
    He did acknowledge GRRM’s great writing later on, in the linked article.So fanboys should stop whining, jesus H christ.

No fanboys are whining; it was just noticed as a point of interest that he forgot to mention GRRM (while remembering to thank a dog sitter). Relax, dude.

42. Jambo
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:30 am | Permalink

Hilda:

Was anymore of the cast there??

I saw some pictures of both Kit Harrington and Lena Headey from before the awards, and I thought I saw Michelle Fairley in the background during one of those pre-shows things, but I wasn’t paying 100% attention and it was really quick, so I might be wrong on that one.

43. Ivan Popić
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:54 am | Permalink

Great news to wake up to! He definitely deserved it.

44. PatD
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:59 am | Permalink

Congrats to Tyrion, although (don’t hate me) I thought Goggins deserved it this year. Mad Men is a fine, quality series, but I thought FNL was 10 times the show MM was. I’m still bitter about the Sean Bean omission, though, so don’t pay any attention to me.

I kind of think it’s not fair to compare/contrast the first season GoT to the amazing body of work that was The Wire. The fantasy genre has never been approached like this, and the first season was largely necessary set-up. Lots of difficult exposition in a difficult genre to get out of the way. I fully expect it to become a real awards contender in the next couple of seasons. And deservedly so.

45. Zed
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 3:31 am | Permalink

Great stuff Peter!

So, to sum things up, 1st season 2 Emmys, 2nd s 4 E, 3th s…

Off topic:
    Dubrovnik filming started and there are some fine pics:

Cameras roll on Game of Thrones Dubrovnik Times reports. Similar article on dulist.hr

This article is about how croatian pop star Giuliano is one of the extras:
    net.hr, and also dubrovacki.hr

Some more pics in this gallery with our favorite exiled knight: tportal.hr

Peter! Fine job, once again, so happy for you.

46. Udi
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 3:35 am | Permalink

stile,

I agree with you.
    I am sure he and George will laugh it off and that George is thrilled with Peter’s win. It was already evident at Comic-Con that Peter is not as comfortable in front of a live audience than in front of a camera crew. Understandable.

47. Eos
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 3:38 am | Permalink

Wow, this is a piece of genuinly great news (on this otherwise rainy and dull morning). Congrats to Peter. Well deserved!

48. Hilda
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 3:44 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Really? I thought it was amazing from episode 1 to 10! GoT was the most amazing show on tv in the spring season! At least it was for me and for a girl that is saying alot!

49. Udi
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 3:44 am | Permalink

“How would you like to die Tyrion son of Tywin”?!
    “In my own bed, with a belly full of wine and, errrrrr…. an Emmy too”!
    HALFMAN!!!

50. Bobben
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 3:48 am | Permalink

Congrats Peter. Great news.

51. Cavegirl
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 3:50 am | Permalink

Hilda:
    SO thrilled for Peter!! How awesome! Honestly,I didn’t think he would win it just because well it is the Emmy’s!It is all about who you know and what you have done…politics and money. It seems to be less on talent now. He is a great actor,he has done some great stuff and just that GoT is lucky to have him as Tyrion is cake!

Was anymore of the cast there??

Kit Harington, Lena Headey and Jason Momoa were there.

52. Blackfish Blues
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:00 am | Permalink

Flawless! Pity I was away from home and I could not cheer live, but I’ll be home in a few hours and I’ll devour the reports. Go Peter!

53. Jambo
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:07 am | Permalink

Am I going nuts, or did the announcer right after they announced his win say that GoT is filmed ‘on location in Awesomeland’?

54. Pau Soriano
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:19 am | Permalink

Wow I’m shocked!

This is good news for the show, congrats all!

55. latebird
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:27 am | Permalink

Congratulations, Peter! :)

56. Joonas Taipaleenmaki
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:31 am | Permalink

Gratz to Peter, I’m so very happy for him. Well deserved.

57. Nick Larter
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:32 am | Permalink

It would seem that possession is no longer an abstract concept :D

58. clemintine
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:40 am | Permalink

I’m shocked. In a good way. Perhaps the anti-fantasy bias now has split a seam :) Congrats PD! A long-overdue, well-deserved nod. I like how his back-stage speech was shorter than its intro.

What’s up with MM winning 4 times in a row? No show can be *that* good.

59. the goat
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:43 am | Permalink

Jambo:

Yeah, in addition to the traditional horrible jokes from the presenters, they also added horrible jokes from a voice-over guy after each winner was announced.

Here’s some pics jojo posted in the earlier thread

Here’s some random ones from the GoT tag on tumblr:
    I think that NCW and GRRM were also there? Can’t find any good pics of them though.

GRRM was definitely there, and a couple people saw Momoa. Not sure about NCW. Hopefully we will get some pics from the HBO party.

60. Cavegirl
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:45 am | Permalink
  61. you-know-nothing
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:48 am | Permalink

Yaaaaayyyyy!!! Well done Peter, it was thoroughly deserved.

62. Tar Kidho
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:03 am | Permalink

Peter Dinklage is a giant!

63. Cavegirl
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:15 am | Permalink
  64. eleusis
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:32 am | Permalink

Well deserved! Congrats, Peter!

65. Cavegirl
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:35 am | Permalink
  66. Eric Bigpicture
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:12 am | Permalink

Wow, I’m stunned! In a good way though, for sure. Many congratulations to Peter on a well-deserved award.

67. Yollo
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:27 am | Permalink

Dinklage has won glory for little people all throughout the world. As I write this, dwarfs rejoice in triumph, making merriment and frolicking in revelry from the mountains of Abkhazia to the jungles of Zimbabwe. Their tiny hands raise tiny mugs to make tiny toasts to their tiny exemplar. Merriment and gaiety ring out from Little Italy to Micronesia. Tiny legs march to the beat of tiny drums in jubilee, heralding a new lilliputian age. I’m guessing P-Dinkz is the first little person to have won an Emmy, but don’t quote me on that. Warwick Davis probably beat him to it, somehow.

68. Mike Chair
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:52 am | Permalink

“… and for just a moment Tyrion Lannister stood as tall as a king.”

— GoT: Jon I

69. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:54 am | Permalink

Congratulations to Peter and the show as this has some importance internally in the business and does have some status.

Personally I don’t put too much worth into awards though since it’s still just opinions (and sometimes perhaps a bit of politics) and it seems like they play it pretty safe most of the time, which is for example shown when it’s a big deal that fantasy has gotten some awards in the last decade.

70. PatD
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:59 am | Permalink

Benioff cleans up nice. Amanda, you lucky thing, you.

71. Epic Wunderscheisse
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:07 am | Permalink

Hilda: for a girl that is saying alot!

lol

72. Cheri
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:28 am | Permalink

champ,

Friday Nights Lights was cancelled….Here’s the link:

Regardless, I am so happy that it won….too late I fear. When PD won, I did a little dance in my bed..I was SOOO happy! He does seem very uncomfortable in the spotlight, which is kind of endearing.

73. Che-che Cruz
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:36 am | Permalink

The famous Lannister won an emmy award! *wootwoot

74. Cheri Padulese
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:49 am | Permalink

Jambo,

That may have been the only funny thing that guys said all night lol

75. Sid
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:54 am | Permalink

Yollo,

Hehe. Funny.

Anyway, gratz to the win Peter!

76. The Winter Rose
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Congrats to Peter!!! :D

77. Doughnut Hole
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 8:19 am | Permalink

Perhaps you all knew this, but I was glad to learn about his hesitancy over doing television. It partially explains — at least to me — his occasional awkwardness over the success GoT and Tyrion have received. It’s plenty weird when you get highly praised for the thing you aren’t entirely sure about doing.

78. digtastik
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 8:26 am | Permalink

After seeing Martin in the shots when the others won best writer/director, I really gave a cheer when Peter’s name was announced. So so awesome.

79. Zed
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Zed,

Another offtopic Dubrovnik:

National TV report about the first day of filming, with Jonatan Cohen
    serijala.com.

Few basic data about the show, also that filming will last for 4 weeks and that 400 extras will be involved. Numbers are different – 6 weeks and 200 extras were the latest projections, but local reporters are not known for their preciseness, so…

Frank Doelgler spoke about how producers decided that Dubrovnik is the place and chose to relocate production.

80. Lina
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 8:45 am | Permalink

So Hollywood isn’t REALLY ready for fantasy, but it’s ready for Dinklage!

Despite the fact that I believed he should truly win, I didn’t think it would happen, because there was too much Mad Men and related stuff up for the same category. But I’m sincerely glad Peter won because he deserves it.

I was surprised he didn’t thank GRRM. I guess I was expecting the “thanks to George for writing this character” thing, but no go. His best line was about HBO – thanking them for letting artists create. How true. I am glad that there were several references throughout the night to HBO and how it’s the best television out there.

Congrats Peter!!

81. Lala
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Congratulations! We were obviously snubbed in the other categories, but I’m sure we’ll win ALL OF them after the RW :P

82. Shinyteapot
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Congrats to Dinklage- and to GRRM, he wrote Tyrion to be awesome.

83. David
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 9:56 am | Permalink

great news!fully deserved. The next one should be Jack Gleeson for second or third season. He’s great Jofrey and I hope he’ll get more screentime in next seasons

84. Cheri Padulese
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Ummm…real quick…..is this REALLY PD’s webpage?

85. John W
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Congratulations Peter!

86. dizzy_34
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Let out a whoop when Dinklage got it. A big boooo for Mad Men winning (I gave that show a shot but man is it boring) but then I had to get back to the Eagles dog killer getting a concusion. The Emmys is just such a wierd awards show.

87. Bombshell Funbags
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Mr Dinklage, u deserve this! Earned it, not so sure… but deserved it, absolutely!

Excellent! Those Emmy peeps didn’t even notice the accent issues! Or maybe they hate England so much they were GLAD you trampled all over it. I know I was. We all know the Emmys hate everything English, with their damned BBC productions, their bad teeth, and their Shakespeare. Speaking as an average American, those British accents barely sound English to me. More like drunken leprechauns reading racy passages of Byron and barely containing their protestant chuckles behind teeth badly in need of orthodontics.

But, Mister Dinklage, you should have thanked GRRM ’cause we, the nerdcore, know that it was the semi-inflatable, biodegradable, character with the mostest that won! Not your acting! And the only reason you ‘got’ the character is because it was modeled around you. If you weren’t married, made more dick jokes, were born into a wealthy and politically connected family, and were immeasurably damaged emotionally, then all they’d have to do is stick a dwarf costume on you and let you roam around the set with a wine bottle in your hand.

For once since aeons past a fantasy show has won something in Hollywood (forget the LoTR for a moment). Since we know Emmys inside and out including the fact that all other GoT nominations unfairly LOST due to the genre problem, we can also add that Holywood absolutely loves the brave actors that break conventions. And Tyrion the proud dwarf does just that. In fact the problem Hollywood has is fantasy dwarves are not very PC. No sir. Though the savagery and the sex is absolutely mint.

In fact the last fantasy show that won an Emmy was The Tenth Kingdom (which was very high quality), and then it only won a Best Main Title award. Acting? How hard can it be to act like an a fancy elf with a speech impediment? I’m guessing yay high.

Good thing you thanked D&D ’cause you know they could have picked from among 1 maybe 2 other little people or whatever your condition is called correctly in the political sense. I know Verne Troyer would kill for that job. Literally.

Peter, please remember that winning the acting award isn’t about you, it’s about everyone that propelled you there, and the fact that you were so lucky to be born a dwarf. Don’t worry, we will remind you of that if you ever look too happy with yourself. It’s what Tyrion would have wanted. So yeah, you can stop patting yourself on the back and start counting your lucky stars.

88. Sid
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Brit-bashing, funny!
    Dinklage-bashing, not so much.

Bombshell Funbags:

Hehe, spot on on some of Dinklage’s lines… XD

89. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Hilda,

I loved the series, don’t get me wrong. But as someone who has a B.A. in film studies and has worked in television and believes that he has an understanding of what makes a great television series, Game of Thrones falls short. As a someone who worships the formal structure of film/tv narrative, I have issues with adaptation and the pacing of the series compared to other television series (Mad Men for example). I can’t ignore that. I wish I could. But I cannot.

90. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 11:00 am | Permalink

tdizzy_34,

Mad Men’s a fine wine, you have to savour it. It’s not for everyone but for those film/tv geeks like myself who loves old Hollywood and criterion collection DVDs it’s perfection.

I still love GoT though.

91. Bombshell Funbags
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Sid: Dinklage-bashing, not so much.

Winning a major tv/film acting award for the first time is a big thing. Personally I am glad he didn’t thank GRRM if you get my meaning… it’s really about him, Dinklage.

92. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 11:06 am | Permalink

clemintine,

I am surprised Mad Men was nominated for an Emmy at all these past years. That show is up there with The Wire in my opinion. It just seems in an alternate universe Mad Men would be a cult series and be appreciated by critics yet ignored by the Emmys like The Wire was. Maybe it’s stylishness and brash Americana and overall “coolness” gives it a trendy appeal. And to be honest everyone likes the look of 5o/60s America.

Is 4 consecutive drama series Emmys too much? Maybe, but I don’t begrudge it, although it would have been nice if Friday Night Lights had won.

GoT will get there in terms of quality, but I hope it’s only to advance the series itself, regardless of future Emmys that might be won.

93. dizzy_34
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I’m more of a beer guy myself. :) I like old Hollywood too it’s just like you said, not my cup of tea. Maybe because it’s about an ad agency (no offense to you ad selling folks out there).
    I also don’t like how AMC is treating their other shows that are more interesting in my opinion.

94. purplejilly
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Personally, I am so bored in the acceptance speeches where they thank everyone, either we already know those people made the show great, or they were workers on the show and it bores me to hear the list of names. I much prefer to hear a short, interesting story, something relevant to their lives, or something about what they had to do to get the Emmy, (like Guy P. joking about all those long hours of going inside Kate Winslet) I say no more thanking, and instead give me a good 60 second story or tale of interest!

95. John
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Bombshell Funbags:

Of course there always has to be assholes who bitch about everything .

96. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 11:55 am | Permalink

dizzy_34,

Yeah, AMC messed up big time firing Frank Darabont from the Walking Dead as well as not giving Rubicon a chance and making The Killing end on a cliffhanger. I really think that Mad Men was the beginning of their whole “wow we can do more than show the same classic movies over and over again” and they simply were not use to budgeting and then this led to their attempt to cut Mad Men down a little bit, but Matthew Weiner handed them their asses and thus screwed every other AMC series over.

So partly it’s Wiener and partly is that AMC has no clue what do now with their new identity as the non-profanity, non-nudity version of HBO.

Question how far did you get into Mad Men before you decided it wasn’t for you?

97. loco73
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Congratulations Peter, you do us all proud! I cannot tell you how happy I am that Mr Dinklage has won his due. A fine actor finally getting recognized for his great talent and amazing presence! Here, here!

The rest of the Emmys though were predictable…while I’m happy that at least the show won 2 awards (were there any other given for the “technical” categories?). The Emmys never cease to dissapoint in their predictability, their narrow-minded taste palet when it comes to recognizing different genres of television series. “Eastbound And Out” was not even nominated among the comedy series, and its one of the funniest things on TV period, neither “Bored To Death”….etc.

Hell, I would have had more respect for the awards had at least “Boardwalk Empire” won, I mean I know “Mad Men” is a good show but 4 years in a row..really….Never mind the rest of the nominees, cough “Friday Night Lights”, cough….

But as I mentioned in other postings, I’m not really surprised and did not hold my breath in anticipation that “Game Of Thrones” would get the top billing as best series.

To me the most important thing, is that I love the show, to me it is the best I’ve seen in a long, long time on TV, and I’ll continue watching no matter awards or not! Still it is nice when a win occurs, as an acknowledgment for the people working on the show from their peers…well there is always next year and hey the Golden Globes are still to come…

But as I said, I’m still happy for Peter and the rest of the people involved with the show! Congrats to you all!

98. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

purplejilly,

I liked Ty Burrell’s speech in particular for that reason.

99. Steve
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

I haven’t read the other comments but OMG! NCW has a brown beard, not blond.
    I hope they dyed it for shooting season 2.

100. Pepi
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Well deserved.

101. Kalasin
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Yaaay! So happy for Dinklage. Not so worried about the show not winning best drama, because Mad Men was so strong this year and there is room for GoT to grow and get more established. I was actually surprised Peter won off a first season, though I was of course pulling for him. Good for him.

Also, just have to add – holy smokes, Kit can wear a tuxedo.

102. metalgoddessamb
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

I have a feeling GoT will clean up at the golden globes.

103. dizzy_34
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

3 1/2 episodes. I was curious because I saw Christina Hendricks was in it (was still crushing on her from Firefly). It’s just flat to me, plus I don’t really care for John Hamm that much. I do enjoy the throwback vibe to it but if that’s the only thing it has going for it then I find it’s not worth the time. Maybe I’ll give it another shot someday but probably not any time soon.

104. John W
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Is this the first Emmy win for a genre show since Gillian Anderson won for X-Files?

105. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34,
    Episode 3 is what sold me on the show. The germ of the idea that Don Draper himself is not what he appears to be, the whole birthday party with Don and the Super 8 watching people interact, building the house for his daughter, going to the bathroom which pretty much belongs to his wife, emphasizing the idea that he does not belong, the whole conversation with the ladies discussing the divorced lady down the street (love Anne Dudek!), just the layers in general…

Yeah, I definitely recommend a retry someday. Maybe just the entire 1st season. Trust me, you will be glad you did…and being a Christina Hendricks fan as you say…do it for her! This is the role of her career she is incredible on this series, how her character changes and doesn’t change at the same time. I love Saffron to pieces but Joan is an amazing character. She also brings out the good in Roger Sterling (John Slattery).

Anyway my conversion campaign continues!

106. Bombshell Funbags
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor: Anyway my conversion campaign continues!

I watched maybe 2 eps, don’t know what season or episode. The main guy was cheating on his wife (or fiance) with young 60’s style sexually aggressive women.

This behavior seemed to be central to the plot and didn’t appeal to me. The undeniable fact that it should have appeal to viewers made me feel nauseous. Besides that unfortunate response of queasy, Mad Men seemed like it could have been a great show.

107. purplejilly
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Bombshell Funbags,
    My husband likes it, but I just can’t get past the (accurate) portrayal of women, how they are treated, and what they are expected to do. It makes me queasy. I keep thinking “I’ve spent 30 years trying to make sure we women get past all this.” And then to watch a TV show that glorifies it? Sorry, no fun for me. For the same reason I will avoid Pan AM and the Bunny Club. just no interest in reliving that crap.

108. Ivan Popić
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

I like Mad Man but I must say I’m not too thrilled with Boardwalk Empire. It seems as they got all the ingredients that should produce a great show but something in the show is missing to make it truly great.
    Maybe I had too big expectations but Boardwalk Empire fell short to my expectations. Treme on the other hand is amazing and as other Simon’s work completely ignored by the Emmys.

109. Sean Fan
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Here’s a link to a short YouTube vid of Lena, Mark, and Michele……

110. andrea
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

purplejilly: I just can’t get past the (accurate) portrayal of women, how they are treated, and what they are expected to do. It makes me queasy. I keep thinking “I’ve spent 30 years trying to make sure we women get past all this.” And then to watch a TV show that glorifies it? Sorry, no fun for
    me

I remember feeling a strong rejection for MM but had already forgotten why. I think what you wrote is exactly what happened to me with MM. Besides the fact that I don´t like advertising at all (I suffered).
    Sorry Joshua Atreides Taylor.

111. Langkard
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

There are actors.

There are good actors.

And then there are actors who keep you mesmerized, who make you turn up the sound when there are outside distractions so that you don’t miss a single word said, who make you completely forget that you are watching a screen transmitting an electronic image. Such an actor is Peter Dinklage.

112. The Reader
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

I just watched his speech on Youtube…what a guy. I’m so glad he won it, he did such an amazing job. Now what to do with the rest of my day off…GoT on Demand sounds fitting.

113. Knurk
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Awesome for the show, a big shame for Walton (not Walter Peter!) Goggins. I really think he got snubbed. Obviously Dinklage didn’t thank GRRM because he just finished ADWD.

114. Ser Raybat
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

TV’s favorite Imp!!! You da man PD!!!

115. Jen of House Stark
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Kalasin,

Hordor, it is known, you did it Peter!!!

Is it just me or did his award look smaller (shorter) than the others? Might be my imagination.

Lastly, yeah, Kit cleans up nice, Schwinnng!

116. Ender
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Congratulations!! Well deserved, and harworked for. Now let’s win it again next season!

117. Delta1212
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Mike Chair:
    “… and for just a moment Tyrion Lannister stood as tall as a king.”

– GoT: Jon I

I literally came here to quote that.

118. Johan Sporre
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

That was unexpected :) Big success for GoT – only the start of things to come.

119. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Mad Men does not glorify that sexist world at all! It is in fact hypercritical and shows how that patriarchal old order is melting away. As the show rolls on the civil rights movements of the 60s shape the world for the characters. It may be be stylish and those people may think their hot stuff, but the show is really a character study on how pathetic they really are. With the exception of Betty Draper who wants to be a princess, women triumph on this show as fully fleshed out human beings no different than our Arya, Catelyn or Brienne. Brienne kind of reminds me of Elisabeth Moss’ character.

Watch it or don’t watch but don’t think this show is sexist, stylish drivel, because that is not true at all. Those who think the show is simply fun and watch it because of how hilariously chauvinistic some of the characters are watching it for the wrong reasons. It portays the death of an old world and the birth of a new one. It is constantly misjduged and to boot, some of the best episodes of the series are written by women.

120. neknekenken
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Congratulations! Definitely a well deserved win. Hope GoT will rake up more awards on the next season.

121. andrea
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor: Mad Men does not glorify that sexist world at all! It is in fact hypercritical and shows how that patriarchal old order is melting away.

Yes, of course it is as you say. I for one was not saying the show was sexist. I understand that precisely tries to show otherwise but does not keep that the show still bothers me. I wish I could write it in Spanish to make it clearer. In English I find it hard. A little example: Godard’s “Contempt” (El desprecio) is a great movie. I saw it and studied, but I never liked it. Do you understand what I mean?

122. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

andrea,

Contempt is decent, but not as good as Breathless. I love Godard though! And Bardot! But I prefer his earlier films then his crazy late 60’s/70s Marxist-politicized stuff.

You understand what its trying to say but did not like how it was presented. Gotcha :-)

Also you remembered my original last name! I WISH my middle name was Atreides that would give me a far greater destiny than that of a Newfie with the middle name of Dwight Gordon! But as Atreides…well I may be the Kwissatzhaderach! Which is something pretty cool, kind of like the Dune universe’s equivalent to Azhor Azai!

Now I will recite the Litany on Fear…

123. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

purplejilly,

Watch it or don’t watch but please don’t dismiss Mad Men as sexist albeit stylish, drivel, because that is not true at all. This is not the show’s agenda.
    Sadly, many guys I know who think the show is simply fun and watch it because of how hilariously chauvinistic some of the characters come off, or like to look at Christina Hendricks are watching it for the wrong reasons. It portays the death of an old world and the birth of a new one.

And shows like Pan Am and the Bunny Club may capture Mad Men’s aesthetic but they will fail to capture the essence of the show: the social commentary and the deconstruction of the old male dominated society by seeming to praise when it is in fact condemning it by using the lens of advertising as a symbol on how the world will eventually change and we, like the advertising industry itself, must all adapt to survive it.

Anyway, that’s my spiel. Love it or not I thank everyone for their courteous replies.

Yay Peter Dinklage and don’t worry about our lack of Emmys thus far. We will kick ass in style at the Golden Globes.

124. Michelle R.
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Question how far did you get into Mad Men before you decided it wasn’t for you?

Don’t know what to tell you — it’s still for me. :)

125. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

Walter Peter? Is that Fringe reference perchance? Some superbeing that we will see in the upcoming season?

We need John Noble on this show! Randyll Tarly?

126. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Michelle R.,

*high five*

*low five*

*fist bump*

*expplossionn!!!!*

127. mewcat
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

I found some good pix of Peter D and other GoT stars at the Emmys. It’s from Access Hollywood. Here’s a link– http://www.accesshollywood.com/game-of-thrones-stars-at-the-2011-emmys_gallery_3140
    From there, there are other GoT links. Hope the link works. If not, go to Access Hollywood. They did a good job. I didn’t even know some of the stars attended, but they have pictures of Jason M. and Michelle F., etc.

128. Rheia Greyjoy
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

The DarkStar,

My thoughts exactly!

129. Sean Fan
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

mewcat: I didn’t even know some of the stars attended, but they have pictures of Jason M. and Michelle F., etc.

Some of the above posts contained links to photos/video that showed who attended. Thanks for your link as well. It worked fine!

130. mimi
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Congrats, Peter!! You’ve made a GREAT Tyrion. I suspect it will only get better…….Hooray!!

131. Michelle R.
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

::Grin::

Thanks.

I love both shows dearly.

Elsewhere, I described the difference between the two shows as GOT has the breadth, but Mad Men has the depth. I value depth over breadth, but that’s a small quibble. Hey, my kittens are named Jon and Arya — not Bobby and Sally.

If I’m being honest, I would have liked GOT to get that recognition and win, just because Mad Men has gotten the Emmy love many times. I would have loved to see Jon Hamm get best actor though since he really earns it every year — The Suitcase was amazing, particularly when he broke down. How does any actor get to that place of vulnerability, knowing it’s being captured close up?

Thrilled over Peter Dinklage’s win, of course. Noticed right away that he didn’t thank Martin. Knew that wouldn’t pass without comment. Have seen him praise the books on more than one occasion though and so I know he isn’t clueless or ungrateful concerning the source material.

132. andrea
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor: But as Atreides…well I may be the Kwissatzhaderach! Which is something pretty cool, kind of like the Dune universe’s equivalent to Azhor Azai!

saw it, 100 years ago. Like it too. One have to love hero´s myth.

133. Franny Bee
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Well deserved! Party on Peter!

134. Luana
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

Whoa. Flipping through channels just now and saw a picture of Lena Headey in that gorgeous black, long-sleeved dress. Turns out it was the E! Fashion Police show, and they chose her as the best-dressed person at the Emmys. I’m really not sure how I feel about agreeing with Joan Rivers et al.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:22 am | Permalink

Luana: LuanaQuote

Yup, just saw the video HERE. Both Joan Rivers and Kelly Osbourne agreed that Lena was the best dressed!

136. Mark
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:49 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

No… ‘Knurk’ was speaking of when Peter was praising the other supporting actor nominees. Peter used the wrong first name for Walton Goggins of FX’s ‘Justified’, and instead call him Walter (Goggins). BTW loved Walton in ‘The Shield’.

137. Jambo
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:49 am | Permalink

John W:

Lost had a few wins during it’s run – best drama for season 1, and a couple supporting actor wins for later seasons (if you consider that a genre show).

138. Sid
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 2:57 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Hehe, your “Atreides” nick-name always makes me think about the other house in Dune, Harkonnen, which for greatest effect should be pronounced in Finnish. XD

Ah, Dune 2 RTS nostalgia…

139. The Winter Rose
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 8:25 am | Permalink

purplejilly:
    Bombshell Funbags,
    My husband likes it, but I just can’t get past the (accurate) portrayal of women, how they are treated, and what they are expected to do.It makes me queasy.I keep thinking “I’ve spent 30 years trying to make sure we women get past all this.”And then to watch a TV show that glorifies it?Sorry, no fun for me.For the same reason I will avoid Pan AM and the Bunny Club. just no interest in reliving that crap.

Right there with you!

140. Hilda
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 8:26 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Well shit! I am just a woman who loves tv,good quality tv! I think that even *I* can appreciate the fine art of that. I am sure I would like Made Men if I watched it…but it is all in taste of preference to me. For Example I have watched all seasons of “True Blood” but i think it is pure crap.The writing is horrendous and the acting is shit! But it is a guilty pleasure. Boardwalk Empire started off slowly but I love it…it is an amazing show! I think i am a period piece kinda gal…but IMO, GoT was the best thing on tv for the few weeks it was on! I’m not into that artsey fartsey stuff! So too make this less long winded…. too each their own!

141. Hilda
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 8:31 am | Permalink

Bombshell Funbags,

Wow! hate much!

142. Hilda
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 8:34 am | Permalink

Kalasin,

OMG,yes he does!!

143. Hilda
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Finally have seen the pics, Michelle Fairley and Lena Looked amazing!!! So beautiful!

144. Moe
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:10 am | Permalink

Well done Halfman!

David Benioff is married? Damn.

P.S. Bombshell Funbags, what in seven hells is wrong with you?!

145. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Speaking of Fringe!

Cool!

Anna Torv for….suggestions?

146. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Hilda,

True Blood is a guilty pleasure. But I don’t view GoT in that way. GoT in my humble opinion is a good show that has the potential to be an amazing show. I fear I have the critic’s curse wherein my attention to cinematic detail deprives me of simply sitting down and fully enjoying what I see. Now that I’ve said that I can assure you that GoT gives me 85% entertainment and 15% of things that need improvement.

If I came off condescending I apologize, I just call them like I see ‘em!

147. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:50 am | Permalink

andrea,

The novel(s) particularly the first 3 are a million times better than David Lynch’s 1984 interepretation/abortion or the decent if lowbudget 2000 Miniseries and the more improved 2003 Children of Dune miniseries.

148. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Mark,

Walton Goggins was who I really wanted to win. I have seen him on the Sheild and agree with the hype surrounding him there but his Boyd Crowther on Justified is an amazing character.

149. Jillian
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I agree. I love that Tyrion won, and will always be a Game supporter, but my thought was that Walton Goggins would be the only acceptable alternative, and if I weren’t so heavily biased towards thrones might have been rooting for him. I really enjoy Justified, and he, as Boyd Crowder, is so unsettling… it’s a really unique performance.

Peter Dinklage definitely earned it though, and I mean to take nothing away from him. I guess I just wish there were ties at the Emmys.

150. shadallion
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Great win for Peter, great press for Game of Thrones!

151. patrick
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

I find it a bit silly that watchers and fans of Game of Thrones would criticize Mad Men for being sexist, as it is sexist in almost the same way. Yes, the women use sex for power, because the men are in charge and that looks like the only way. But there are cracks in the system and they are ever widening. The show is about the cracks, not the system itself. It’s making fun of it, pointing and laughing, not glorifying.

But personally I still find the show a bit overrated, and don’t like it when a show dominates awards for years on end, when there are SO many other great shows. I’m very sad for FNL, although it did get some nice consolation prizes. GoT would have been a nice surprise, and even BE would have been a nice change. Ok, so I would be complaining if BE had one too :)

Congrats to Dinklage, you really are a fine actor! Put the emmy somewhere nice, please don’t use it as a doorstop :P I know you feel a bit like you don’t deserve it, that was obvious in your speech, but the fact that you feel like you don’t is the reason that you do.

152. Sean Fan
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Moe: David Benioff is married? Damn.

He’s married to the actress Amanda Peet since 2006 and they have two children. She was sitting next to him at the Emmys.

153. dizzy_34
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Well if Fringe is over by the time the show gets to Val I could see it.

154. loco73
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

I love Anna Torv and enjoy watching her and the rest of the cast on “Fringe”…and to know that she is a fan of “Game Of Thrones” is awesome! Can we steal her for “Game Of Thrones”? Is there a character she could play? Even if its a bit part she would enjoy it! After all she has the guts to do the show…well she showed her admirable assets in that scene with Jon Seda in “The Pacific”…What about John Noble…he would be so cool on GoT, after all he did play Denethor in LOTR…

I’d still like James Purefoy and Eve Green on “Game Of Thrones” sometimes in the future…

155. Epic XXL
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

I still can’t get over this win. And I like how PD handled it. He’s a pretty cool guy on his feet. Not much tips him out of balance, does it?

And thanks to everyone who are posting links to Emmy related videos. That was the biggest GoT dose I had in a while.

“How do you feel?”
    BP: “Beep beep beep beep.”

156. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

loco73,

Anna Torv for Val! The campaign begins!

And everyone thought Fringe wasn’t to be renewed this year but it was…could Anna being Rupert Murdoch’s niece have anything to do with it?

157. BaronessComa
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

Amongst a stellar cast, within an extraordinary adaptation of an epic masterpiece, Mr Dinklage STILL manages to stand out by way of his natural artistic talent. I am so enormously grateful that this was acknowledged at the Emmys. I have relished all the books and I thoroughly LOVE this adaptation. Dinklage has done absolute justice to the complex character that is Tyrion Lannister. Bravo!!!

158. ts_billy
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 1:26 am | Permalink

Let me preface this: I love the series. The books, that is.

Did nobody else find this award disconcerting?

(Lena Heady has added SO much to Cersei, Maisie Wiliams is a revelation as Arya, Emilia Clarke is a good as I could have hoped for, forDaenerys, and my Wife is now in love with Ian Glen)

I have cringed more times during Tyrion’s scenes than all others combined. Am I alone in this?

The new scene with Tyrion in the tent with Bronn and Shae is sophomoric/spin-the-bottle/bullshit.

I can’t be the only one who thinks this. Am I?

I always read Tyrion as more of a wry, understated voice, than an over-emphatic, know-it-all. He is a wry, know-it-all, to be sure. But when I read the books, the target of his humor was himself, not the crowd he was in.

Dinklage (or the directors) have him over emphasize EVERY DAMN LINE he says. This is not the Tyrion I read.

Maybe this is because I have always loved teachers with a dry sense of humor.

Questions, comments, criticism, and agreements, are well appreciated. I just wanted to add my two cents to all the glad-handing.

159. Epic knows nothing
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 1:51 am | Permalink

ts_billy,

Huh? I thought it was Jack Black with camera tricks.

Not too thrilled with Shae because she was only useful in s1 for Tyrion’s backstory about his “wife”. But it didn’t really come across that well, imo. Maybe if the moment was a little more private, without Bronn around. And I doubt they can do new hybrid Shae’s story in future eps that well either, with everything else happening.

160. Sebastian
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 8:34 am | Permalink

Love this actor and his role as Tyrion Lannister ;-)
    Peter Dinklage alias Tyrion is the best one.

161. Cheri
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Ok, please tell me if I am being dumb but I just saw an interview on E! with GRRM and he said he wrote episode 9 – Blackwater….does that give us a little more understanding as to where this next season is going to end?

162. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

ts_billy,

I think you’ll find yourself in a very small minority. While I was rooting for Walton Goggins or John Slattery to win the Emmy instead, a part of me believed that Dinklage would never win. But he did and I don’t begrudge him of it in anyway. His accent distracted me instantly but I was able to ignore it just as quick (I don’t let things like that bother me as I have a high threshold for suspension of disbelief) and found the rest of his material absolutely golden. To wit, his scenes with Jon Snow, Tywin and Bronn.

Sorry friend, I can’t agree on that one. Acting is a very subjective thing though.

Some of my favorite actors:
    Garrett Dillahunt
    Peter O Toole
    Gene Hackman
    Guy Pearce
    Jared Harris
    Viggo Mortensen
    Gary Oldman
    Idris Elba
    Amy Adams
    Helen Mirren
    Laura Linney
    Vera Farmiga

If you disagree with some of these than we could say that’s proof positive of the subjectivity of acting criteria. :-)

163. lovesick orphan
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Sorry for the last post (if anyone saw it). I know this is a game of thrones site and why have crazy arguments about other shows. But anyway, about Mad Men (and GoT).

I do not care if Mad Men is self-aware of being sexist or justifies it, or that it’s the early 60’s. Sexism is still a main theme and it makes me uncomfortable.

I don’t think GoT is comparable because its sexism isn’t the main point. The sexism is rather underhanded and typical in what you might expect on tv today. If anything, a dysfunctional, flawed character like Cersei who is not very believable sort of breaks the story up and reveals the show as something a little awkward and not thought out completely.

164. The Dragon Demands
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

They call him half a man. What does that say about the other nominees?

165. Epic The Balls
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

That they are women? I don’t get it.

Posted September 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

I liked those “haters gonna hate” pics of Tyrion, back when the season first started…

I think this occasion calls for A NEW ONE.

I wonder what the naysers are saying now? (COUGH*GiniaBellafante*COUGH).

167. Joonas Taipaleenmaki
    Posted September 22, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Bombshell Funbags

Can’t tell if you’re trolling or just a nasty piece of shit. Either way stop wasting my air.

168. mike
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

ts_billy,

ts_billy:
    Let me preface this: I love the series. The books, that is.

Did nobody else find this award disconcerting?

Of course, Tyrion is one of my favorite characters in the book series. However, Dinklagehas been a disappointing actor. His accent is over the top! He has not added to the character in anyway.

I can’t be the only one who thinks this. Am I?

Maybe this is because I have always loved teachers with a dry sense of humor.

Questions, comments, criticism, and agreements,are well appreciated.I just wanted to add my two cents to all the glad-handing.

Agree completely with these points but disagree completely with your assessment of the performance of Dinklage. He nailed it and his performance was the best of the series. He will almost certainly win best actor next year.

169. mike
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Just wanted to add that Maisie Williams comes a close second to Dinklage. If there is going to be a breakout star from this series then Id guess it will be her. Is it really her first acting role?

170. sjwenings
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

ts_billy: Of course, Tyrion is one of my favorite characters in the book series. However, Dinklage has been a disappointing actor. His accent is over the top! He has not added to the character in anyway.

I can’t be the only one who thinks this. Am I?

It seems you mostly have a problem with the way D&D have chosen to present the character of Tyrion, more than Dinklage himself.

His accent, I’m fine with. This guy is so sarcastic and joking all the time, it seems somewhat appropriate that his accent is a bit of a parody of “proper english”. He’s an outsider that only half tries to fit in. Though the accent is probably just a result of Dinklage being from the US, it still fits, and at the very least is worth it in the end to get someone of his caliber.

HBOs Tyrion does seem more high on himself, but perhaps his more self-loading side will come into play later. It would be a smart move, for some character development. That he puts on a facade of being better than most and just misunderstood, but then later we get to learn that he himself has similar feelings about himself. This is of course just a theory…

The writing of the spin the bottle-scene can of course not be blamed on Dinklage, and regardless, I really liked that scene. Don’t know where all the hating on that scene comes from.

1. […] Peter Dinklage wins an Emmy – How cool was it to see Tyrion win an Emmy? I actually fist pumped when Peter’s name was called. Something many people predicated a long […]