Quick Hits: Emmy edition
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

The Emmys are tonight and with that has come a host of predictions, interviews, previews and everything else. Here is a round-up of some of the best and most noteworthy links:

• Matt Zoller Seitz of Salon has an “alternate” Emmys where he gives out awards for best monologue, best action sequence and best monster. He gives Game of Thrones best death scene for the “Baelor” episode.
  • The LA Times handicaps the best supporting actor race and wonders if Dinklage’s episode choice may hurt his chances at taking home the Emmy.
  • Peter Dinklage leads a reader poll at the Huffington Post on who should win best supporting actor.
  • The Huffington Post again, this time they analyze Thronesfighting of genre bias at the Emmys.
  • Kit Harington and George R. R. Martin attend pre-Emmy parties. HollywoodLife.com even got a chance to speak to Kit for a couple minutes.
  • The Independent asks some British actors working in American TV their favorite past and current TV shows and compares US TV to UK TV. Aidan Gillen and Julian Glover from Thrones get in on the action.
  • Be sure to check back later today for our Emmy preview post! We will also have live coverage of the red carpet at 6 PM EST, courtesy of PopSugarTV.

1. Franny Bee
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Go Tyrion!! Hope he brings a mug of ale to the podium, and finishes his mule/honeycomb story during his acceptance speech.

Posted September 18, 2011 at 9:14 am | Permalink

Too bad this whole thing is too late on a worknight for me to follow live, but I’ll inform myself of what happened first thing in the morning! :)

3. Coltaine777
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Goodluck GOT !…I think Peter Dinklage may shock everyone and actually win tonight…lucky Aaron Paul didn’t qualify this yr…he’s been incredible in Breaking Bad this yr…

4. The Rabbit
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Had a little nap after lunch, so maybe, I ll stay up till the Red Carpet.

5. Elena Amici
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 10:23 am | Permalink

i really hope PD will win. He did a great job.
    Also, i’d love for D&D to win Best Drama or Best Episode – it’s slightly more unlikely, but i still want them to win. Maybe it’s because I’m a fangirl, but i’m also a fan of many of the other shows, i watched them all and i still think GoT is one of the best.

(I mean, BE and MM are great, but a little too …perfect? I don’t know, kinda boring. Dexter is built around a great main character, and the rest of the show is mediocre. I always skip the scenes whre he’s not in. The Good Wife is good, but it’s a procedural. Most of its fans are over45. Friday Night Lights is one of the best shows ever, and the one that really deserves a win. Heck, it’s the one i WANT to win – but it’s not going to.)

EDIT: also, what is KH doing in the US?

6. Ali
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Nobody will be shocked if Peter wins, we’ll be shocked if he loses.

7. Summer
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 10:34 am | Permalink

While we wait for the Emmys, day 1 of filming in Dubrovnik has started! :)

8. John
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Summer,

I thought they are starting filming tommorow .

9. Summer
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 10:58 am | Permalink

No, they started today, there are some first picks but I just don’t know how to post the link…

10. Summer
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 11:04 am | Permalink
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Based on the blatant genre bias evident at the technical Emmy’s last week (an area where genre shows should actually have a decent chance!), I’m not expecting any wins tonight. The technical Emmy’s are where we should have cleaned up.

But I do think Peter Dinklage has an underdog’s chance. A win would be so awesome.

12. Kathrina Martinsen
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 11:40 am | Permalink

13. Dreamlife
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Peter Dinklage is going against some tough competition, and from what I’ve read the episode he submitted didn’t even focus much on him. It would be a pleasant surprise if he wins. :P

I’m really interested to see if Game of Thrones can win best drama series. I am not much of a fan of Mad Men (in fact, I find it really boring), but I hear season 4 had a very impressive episode (The Suitcase) and the Emmy’s seem to love Mad Men. I really enjoyed Boardwalk Empire’s first season, though not as much as Game of Thrones. I can see Boardwalk Empire winning simply because the big names behind the camera, it looked so good, and it has already won several awards. I can actually see Game of thrones winning in this category, though, because it’s an HBO series, has some big name talent, and was an unexpected hit for the network. I’m hoping it’s either GoT or BE.
    BTW, I’ll be shocked if The Good Wife wins because I really dislike that series and think it’s leagues behind GoT and BE.

14. sjwenings
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Kathrina Martinsen: The Huffington Post piece ends with this quote. Did something pass me by, or has HBO actually said that? I SO want it to be true, but still? Anyone see or hear anything about this before?But even if it doesn’t dazzle at the Emmys, fans can at least take solace in the knowledge that HBO has promised to continue making the show, as long as Martin writes the books.

They said something similar once before. Or maybe this guy is just repeating the same thing. Either way, if the ratings, dvd-sales and so forth fails, they’ll stop making it, of course. But still – for them to say something like that IS encouraging.

15. sjwenings
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 11:48 am | Permalink

So which episode did they submit for Peter, then?

16. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Dreamlife,

Mad Men is a love it or hate it show. I love it. To me it’s a fine wine that has to be savoured. Every scene is like that. For those who wish for a little momentum in their tv shows, that’s all good, but for me every unspoken word, every nuance… is perfection.

17. Elena Amici
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 11:57 am | Permalink

sjwenings:
    So which episode did they submit for Peter, then?

episode nine

18. Knurk
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

So what are you watching Winter, Eagles or Emmy’s?

19. Ivan Popić
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

We have some shots of extras surfacing on the Croatian portals. That is mostly thanks to a Croatian singer Giuliano being an extra (from the looks of it he is a Gold Cloak). Filming was done inside Minčeta fortress whose interior was impersonating a forge. My speculation is that they are filming something connected to the Tyrion’s chain. Maybe they changed the location of his meeting with blacksmiths from the solar in Tower of the Hand to the actual forge. I don’t see what other scene with forge should be filmed for season 2.

Links:

20. KG
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Oh a nice random slam at World of Warcraft in the HP article, which is hilarious, since it is ostensibly taking a stand against genre bias and snobbery.

Over eleven million people play WoW. If that many people are “basement dwellers,” then we’re gonna need more basements.

21. Ivan Popić
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

There is a picture of Iain Glenn in costume on a frontpage of http://www.pixsell.hr and it says there are 5 more exclusive pictures but you have to pay to access those…

22. metalgoddessamb
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Knurk:
    So what are you watching Winter, Eagles or Emmy’s?

Both. at least that’s what I’ll be doing tonight :)

23. Ivan Popić
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

24. andrea
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Emmy´s: I have no faith in you but … I´ll love to be pleasantly surprised tonight. It also appears that Idris Elba will be there so I must stay awake and alert.

25. Elena Amici
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Ivan Popić:
    There is a picture of Iain Glenn in costume on a frontpage of http://www.pixsell.hrand it says there are 5 more exclusive pictures but you have to pay to access those…

ian glein is also going to be in series two of ITV’s Downton Abbey, premiering in less than 2 hours. Alas, I’m not going to watch it tonight, because i should wait like 4 hours to find it online and i have to wake up early tomorrow, (it’s 8:30 pm here) but can’t wait to see Ian Glein wearing a World War One outfit *_*
    (also, Downton Abbey is a wonderful show and the DVDs are really cheap – less than £9 i think)

andrea: It also appears that Idris Elba will be there so I must stay awake and alert.

you’ve got to be kidding me

26. andrea
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici,

or maybe I just dreamed?

27. Winterdark
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

28. Mormegil
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Ivan Popić: On second thought – with Dinklage being in Los Angeles to receive his Emmy the filming today was of Quarth. Maybe they are forging the crown?

Goldcloaks at a Forge suggest to me that it’s them looking for Gendry and finding out he left to join the Nights Watch.

29. The Rabbit
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Mormegil,

Hopefully, after the Emmy madness tonight, Winter would post his famous Filming threads and would include the link too the feature Crotian national TV showed during the headlines tonight.
    It very much confirmed your guess. (by showing Tobho Mott and somebody we think is Janos Slynt).

30. Ivan Popić
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Mormegil: . (by showing Tobho Mott and somebody we think is Janos Slynt).

I agree after additional information that surfaced.
    Here is a link to news feature about filming aired at Croatian national television.

31. Winterdark
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Ivan Popić,

That’s great but what are they saying? For all I know they’re spreading rumours about Peter Dinklage sleeping with Nina Gold to get the part.

In all seriousness: anything new?

32. andrea
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Winterdark: No you didn’t dream. In the article it said he was nominated for Luther(which last time I checked is a 100% British series) Anyway I hope he wins as he’s brilliant as Luther. It’s an amazing series btw. Not as good as GoT but one of the best British crime drama series at the moment. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes Idris Elba and/or crime drama series.

Oh, I know, I just kidding. I read the article so I figured he´ll be there. I love Luther (the show) maybe more than Idris.

33. The Rabbit
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Winterdark,

No, nothing exclusively new.
    They did not confirm what they filmed today (obviously they can do it), but we deduced that has to be Gold Cloaks looking for Gendry, because an extra (Croatian rather popular singer btw) stated that they filmed the scene of the chase.
    And there was guy who played Tobho Mott (with his face half burnt) in S1 interviewed.

34. Kate
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

I have a really good feeling about tonight. Historically impeding genre biases aside….

“Baelor” and “Fire and Blood” are two of the six episodes submitted by GOT for best drama. Both episodes aired just before the deadline where ballots had to be sent back to Earnst and Young, so timing could really work in their favor here, given these final two episodes were so strong AND very much buzzed about.

Posted September 18, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Winterdark,

The summary is to be found below the video in YouTube.

36. stile
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Well of course if I’m on this site, I’m a fan of Game of Thrones and I think Dinklage deserves an Emmy…but I don’t think it’s likely.

Not because of “genre bias” or anything like that…just because of screen time. Most “supporting actors” get more than three or four minutes in an episode, and no matter how awesome Tyrion is during his screen time, he doesn’t really get enough of it in a single episode to show off enough for an Emmy. If Emmy submissions consisted of more than a single episode, he might have more of a chance, but unfortunately that’s how the system works…

Posted September 18, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Janos Slynt has definitely been re-cast. Besides looking almost identical to Dominic Carter, I clearly heard that actor say “I play the leader of the Goldcloaks” underneath the Croatian voice-over.

38. KG
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Eh looks just like the other guy. Not losing any sleep.

39. Two Feathers
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Ivan Popić,

The Rabbit,

Thanks guys . Nice reporting. ….ASTB

40. The Rabbit
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Or it is Dominic Carter after all and journalists only put the wrong name.

We have SlyntGate anyway ;)

41. plop_
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Lex,

“They are also interviewing Dominic Carter (which is falsely credited as Jonatan Cohen) who explains he is the leader of the city police called Golden Cloaks and that they were filming a chase scene around town.”

42. Josh Parker
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

That’s Carter, no doubt. I recognize him. Janos Slynt has not been recast.

43. The Rabbit
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

If you say so, than I have to believe you, I am not good at recalling faces. Especially with helmets on.

44. plop_
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

Read the video description on youtube… it’s stated that the guy IS Dominic Carter, falsely credited as Jonathan Cohen.

45. forged
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

how long from now until the emmys begin cant find it somehow :)?

Posted September 18, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

plop_:
    The Rabbit,

Oops, I guess it is still him. How the heck did they get “Jonathan Cohen” from “Dominic Carter”? I guess it sounds somewhat similar, if you’re REALLY bad with names, lol!

47. Josh Parker
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Or don’t speak English.

48. loco73
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

I like the article in the Huffington Post, describing why shows like “Game Of Thrones” and others (“The Walking Dead” comes to mind) don’t fit the limited perception of the people voting/awarding the Emmys, everything from “snobbism”, to just plain ignorance and lack of imagination…

The one thing that struck me was at the end, where the article mentions that although it might not win awards, fans of “Game Of Thrones” can console themselves with the fact that HBO has said that it will continue making the show as long as George keeps writing the books?!?!?! I never recall such an assurance from HBO! Does anybody know more about this, or was it just the writer of the arcticle pulling that out of his ass?